Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

I agree Matt and Jacob are more traditional.

I've always enjoyed Harry more just seems more creative or inventive.

I think it also depends on the type of dancing you want. If you want a traditional style like tap or ballet, Jacob and Matt are your guys. If it's freestyle you want, Harry wins hands down. JMO of course.

Obviously Harry is the most talented dancer on the show which is why I didn't mention him. To me that goes without saying. After him I would put Jacob, Dijon, and Matt. As for females Heather is the stand out with Jenna and Becca both being pretty good as well.

Dancing has always been the show's weak spot especially when they tried to tell me that some characters were good dancers when they were passable at best (I am looking at you Rachel and season 2-3 Sam).

Or weirdly in season 5 when they tried to tell us Tina couldn't dance. Really? Apart from Jake and Kitty she was the best dancer in New Directions at that time.

I think it also depends on the type of dancing you want. If you want a traditional style like tap or ballet, Jacob and Matt are your guys. If it's freestyle you want, Harry wins hands down. JMO of course.

I think that's what I was trying to say. To be fair I never get tired of watching any of the good dancers on glee perform.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Darren is a decent dancer too.

Kevin is also great, but he gets to show it off less than anyone.

As for Matt, I wish the writers would let him really let loose. I remember being blown away by his dancing at the Tony Awards and Kennedy Center Honors. He's never gotten to do anything like that on " Glee."

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Darren is a decent dancer too.

Kevin is also great, but he gets to show it off less than anyone.

As for Matt, I wish the writers would let him really let loose. I remember being blown away by his dancing at the Tony Awards and Kennedy Center Honors. He's never gotten to do anything like that on " Glee."

I think Darren, and Chris as well, can follow choreography, and do it well, they're not natural dancers.

Matt performed at the Oliver Awards (basically the British Tonys) a couple of years back. He was amazing.

I wish we'd seen Jacob do a ballet based routine. Even just something along the lines Lea and Jonathan did for Total Eclipse of the Heart.

I'd like to see Matt and Jacob do a ballet routine since they're both trained in it, I have no idea what the context for that would be, though. LOL

I didn't know Matt was ballet trained I thought it was more traditional tap, jazz etc.

aka Kumiko from Karate Kid II, for those of us of a certain age ;)

I'm just about that age. ;)

Also, she's 48. Has she been bathing in the blood of virgins? I say I'd like to look that good when I'm that age but I wish I looked that good now!

• Love 1
Agreed. I'd still put her behind the natural dancers like Jacob, Heather, Matt, Harry, and Kevin, though.

Taking my response to the all episodes thread.

Edited by camussie

Saw an episode last night of Law and Order: Criminal Intent, about dancing students at a college, and the main character was this dancer and I was wondering "Why do I have an irrational hate for this character?" Turns out it was Melissa Benoist (Marley). 

I have to say I am impressed as heck lately with Matthew Morrison's team.  As Glee is winding down he is the one cast member  I am seeing consistently at big entertainment events.  Tonight he is the only Glee cast member on the red carpet at the AMA's  After season 1 he was often overshadowed in Hollywood by the "kids" but right now he seems to have the highest profile among the cast.  Good for him and good for his team.  

Edited by camussie

Chris will be busy as he gets even more books to write: Chris Colfer is planning many return trips to the Land of Stories.

- The Land of Stories 4 in July 2015 (this one we knew already).

- The Land of Stories 5 in July 2016.

- Two picture books based on The Land of Stories ('The Curvy Tree' is the first one).

- Two companion volumes for a (The Land of Stories) Holiday box set in 2015.

- A teen novel, a coming-of-age story about a young actor and his fans on "a once-in-a-lifetime cross-country road trip".

No matter how unsure of success his aspirations and future projects as an actor might be (although personally I think he'll go far), as an author Chris is definitely on his way.

Well it's probably less than two months before Glee is finally wrapped up.  (Can't see production going beyond the first week of February) so all the actors probably have their next gigs (if any) lined up, whether announced or not.

Curious to see if Lea's planned second album will be released after all in the first or second quarter of 2015 as she said she was planning her first solo concert tour for the summer. 

Edited by caracas1914

I expect them to go at least till end February.  I think they'll have 3.5-4 episodes left to film in the new year. Matt is on Broadway in mid-March but he was in the workshop so hopefully the Glee schedule won't impact his preparation much. 

I'm also getting intrigued about Lea's post Glee plans, not much has been said about them (as far as I know) except for the concert tour and that was a while back. 

Edited by fakeempress
I expect them to go at least till end February.  I think they'll have 3.5-4 episodes left to film in the new year. Matt is on Broadway in mid-March but he was in the workshop so hopefully the Glee schedule won't impact his preparation much.

Well it seems last week they worked mostly on Episode 6.09 "2009" and today it seems they are working on Episode 6.08.  What confuses things even more  is that they work on up to 4 episodes at the same time , since there was a casting call  for  some extras/photo doubles  needed on Dec 17, 18 that appear to be still for Episode 6.08.  So even 4 weeks out they can be working on an episode after it started filming.   We do know that they seem to finish an episode in 8-9 working days. So   I guess it depends on how far they can get into starting Episode 6.10 or even 6.11 before the XMAS hiatus.   IF they have a 2 week break they would have 20 working days in January so it will probably be clearer  at the beginning of the 2015 year where they stand.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

The cast members have said that they're supposed to finish by mid-February. I think it can be done.

Matt could also possibly shoot his stuff earlier and be done sooner. His " Finding Neverland" character is on stage for almost the entire show, and the role is both physically and vocally demanding. He'll need a lot of rehearsal time.

Edited by Sara2009

Matt is probably rehearsing right now.  Hugh Jackman was prepping for "The Boy from Oz" (where he sang 19 of the 21 songs) while he was filming his lead role in Van Helsing in Europe.  He had a tap floor installed in his trailer and had a vocal coach on set with him to work with between takes.

Interesting quote by the director of the Noe Coward bio pic that Chris Colfer will start filming in March:

"The most important thing when finding the right person for a specific role is their talent and their energy. […] It is the case with casting a film about Noel Coward. Chris Colfer is an incredibly talented actor, he has an emotional intelligence that I believe audiences see themselves in. He also has a comparable energy to that which Noel Coward had at his age, an energy not usually associated with Noel Coward today because of who he became as he got older. It’s that combination of energy and emotional intelligence that has served him so well in Glee, and gained him so many fans. But I also know Chris has a lot more to give as an actor, so I’m going to work him very hard and it’s going to be great. We’re going to surprise a lot of people I think."

The problem with a simple guitar acoustics is it certainly reveals the limitations of Darrens singing voice. As Sarah said, it's OK.

As far as other cast, I'm enjoying the McRiley broadcasts on Dash Radio. Kevin seems awfully comfortable around a mike.

Dianna Agron wants to break a record with how many indie movie projects you can do in 18 months, isn't she up to 9 or 10 ?

Edited by caracas1914

Wow the drama with Matt replacing Jeremy Jordan in Finding Neverland is interesting, apparently Jeremy confirmed he was never promised beyond the Boston tryout.

Finding out he was officially out was in some ways a relief to him with all the tension and uncertainty.

I think he voice sounds good. It's not like the song is particularly vocally challenging.

Darren made the song less vocally challenging,which is why it shows his vocal limitations. He took out most of the big belting parts.

Edited by Sara2009
It's a shame that there is allready baggage attached to Matts next project. The only reason that he didn't do the Boston try out was because of his Glee commitment. He didn't do anything " wrong" in this situation.

I agree.  Some are saying he was negotiating "in secret" behind Jeremy Jordan's back with the producers, but from the the Jeremy Jordan statements it seems Harvey Weinsten had never fully committed to Jeremy in the role for Broadway, and since Matt was their first choice, as soon as the shortened Glee season was announced I think the writing was on the wall.

The problem isn't that these things happen, but that Jeremy is an established Broadway veteran now and a quasi "name" so it was still a bit callous for someone of his caliber to be used just to do a Boston tryout IMO.  On Weinstenin's part, not Matt.

The fallout is also because for the most part it seems Jeremy got decent critical notice in the part and the Boston tryout was a big financial success.

• Love 1

There's also the fact that according to Matt, Weinstein called HIM up about doing the role. Matt wasn't the aggressor in this situation. He was actually planning to do a revival until this opportunity came along.The negotiations are always secret from what someone has said, so that was nothing out of the ordinary.Weinstein's big mistake was using someone like Jeremy Jordan as a mere stand in even if it was with his knowledge.

I think everything will turn out fine, though. The announcement of Matt's casting has gotten at least a few thousand " likes" on Facebook( greatly outnumbering the negative comments), so it's not as if everybody hates the idea. A few dozen people posting negative comments on every article won't doom the show IMO.

Edited by Sara2009

Here is Darren's rendition of " Proud of Your Boy" from that ABC special:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/11/hear-darren-crisss-rendition-of-proud-of-your-boy-from-broadways-aladdin/

It's not bad, but I don't think it's particularly good either.

I didn't hear anything so gush-worthy either, it's like a singer-songwriter's take on it, and he still can't make the upper register work. But you wouldn't think so from all the superlatives lavished by playbill, EW and the perennial fanboys at broadway.com  

Well all the Glee cast with recording aspirations the excuses dry up past February as far as their recording/album/touring projects.

*If* they want to focus on music careers they certainly can, but Glee's work schedule/time constraints won't be an issue or cover anymore. To push an album, touring and promoting would be a full time commitment if they want it to be. However the risk is potential acting gigs would take a back seat. Unless your Beyoncé or Justin, you simply can't do both concurrently or at least maintain a high profile in both fields.

With Naya I suspect she'll focus back on acting projects since apparently she was dropped by the Label.

With Lea the issue will be if Columbia is truly committed to that second album being produced, because then the wheels would have to start rolling for a summer tour and venues would have to start getting booked up by early spring.

If not, then I could see Lea just focusing on acting projects, ie TV/Movies/stage .

The one Glee cast who surprisingly apparently has no recording aspirations is Kevin Mchale, but then again his pre Glee foray with a boyband probably sobered him up to the daunting odds.

Edited by caracas1914

The one Glee cast who surprisingly apparently has no recording aspirations is Kevin Mchale, but then again his pre Glee foray with a boyband probably sobered him up to the daunting odds.

Very possibly. I'm curious how he does in the two movies he's got, because I'm not that ecstatic over his acting on Glee. But even before he got his British show and the radio gig I thought he could make a pretty good talk show host with his personality and sense of humour. 

And yeah, next year will be interesting about the music projects, especially for Lea because her album did decent business I think, without any touring. I'm weirdly in Amber's corner to pursue her music, which is her strongest talent, because she seems quite dedicated, and maybe the radio show with Kevin will help her. Darren iirc promised an album or "something" by the end of this year, obviously not happening, so 2015 will definitely be the year of no excuses for him.

Didn't the label shelve Darren's album?  If that's the case, then the odds of him getting something released this year would likely hinge on either him completely remaking the album (to be more marketable and something that he label will want to release) or finding another label. The problem is that without Glee to raise Darren's profile after February, he loses one of his major marketing points. The big question that a label is going to have to ask is once Darren (or any of the cast for that matter) is no longer on Glee, is there really an audience for his product? It's not as if Darren doesn't already have musical product out there - he did produce an EP before he came onto Glee and I don't recall it selling huge numbers even at Darren's peak popularity on Glee.

As far as music goes, I honestly don't see any of the cast releasing albums that aren't soundtracks for their shows or films with the exception of a possible second album for Lea (again, the label needing to ask if there's a market for her when she's no longer Lea from Glee) and Amber. They would have to completely commit to a music career and spend a year promoting and touring (small venues if they're headlining or more likely as an opening act for a more established performer) and forgo on acting opportunities that might no longer be there in a year or two. There's no easy answer here. They really have to ask (and be honest) about what they really want for their career and where they have their best opportunities. I don't see any of them being able to do both, at least in the short run.

I'm weirdly in Amber's corner to pursue her music, which is her strongest talent, because she seems quite dedicated, and maybe the radio show with Kevin will help her.

I like the McRiley at Dashradio gig her and Kevin have going, music related and they make a good team.

With Amber post Glee, it's really a matter of differentiating herself from so many other singers out there, hopefully she gets a producer who has a good catchy single for her to release.    I think she's different from the rest of the cast because her persona is  singing than acting as far as her public profile.    Having said that, she's probably of the whole cast progressed the most in her acting in the  six years.  (I love Amber but Mercedes in Season One displayed some fairly brutally bad acting in dramatic scenes ).  Doesn't mean she's a top actress now, but IMO she awkward Season one and is a much more confident, comfortable actress in comparison.

As as  Amber's pipes, well that is the least of her worries as far as a recording career.  It's the marketing, promotion, right material, timing, and of course luck.

Columbia and her parted ways so it will be interesting if she hooks up with a smaller label and comes out with an album this coming year. She's the one Glee singer I could see willing to start with  smaller venues to start to try to jump start a singing career as she appears to have a good rep among R/B circles/music folks. 

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

She's the one Glee singer I could see willing to start with  smaller venues to start to try to jump start a singing career as she appears to have a good rep among R/B circles/music folks.

She really does. When people like Gladys Knight and Faith Evans know who you are, that is not a bad thing at all. Not to mention she did her second Christmas Concert this year and Faith Evans and Jordin Sparks were featured guests (among others). So I think she has definitely been making some of the right moves and getting recognized by some of the right people. 

• Love 1

So far the three people who have projects immediately after Glee ends filming are Matt Morrison, with the Weinstein produced "Finding Neverland" musical headed to Broadway by March,   Chris Colfer with the Noel Coward biopic being filmed in London also by  March, and Kevin McHale with the filming of "Being a Kennedy" movie, and resumed filming of his panel show in England,

Spoiler:

With news that Naya has finished the last of her Glee shooting it will be interesting if she gets some other acting projects soon.

Edited by caracas1914