Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

From the media thread:

True, tall white  leading men  get about 6 or 7 shots at TV stardom.  Alex is a perfect example.

You forgot straight!

Is it just me or does that describe no-one in Glee. Grant Gustin and Blake Jenner are about as close as it gets. Harry Shum is getting leading man roles but only when the character is specifically Asian.

Matt has the chops for Broadway and TV/movies. Somehow I don't think lack of opportunities will be an issue with Mr. Morrison.

I know the adage" Broadway star" gets thrown out there with some of the Glee cast, but I actually technically think it only applies to Matt Morrison , and as far as guest stars , perhaps Jonathan Groff. (Nominated best lead actor in a musical for Spring Awakening) As in terms of being the leading character and spearheading a Broadway show to success.

Before people start screaming Lea Michele, she, like Jenna ( and Matt/Jonathan) is IMO a genuine Broadway veteran, as she was a featured player in several Broadway productions since childhood ( Les Miz, Ragtime, Fiddler on the Roof, Spring awakening) but never the leading role or more than featured. Stunt casting for short periods of time don't really count because it's not as if the success of a venture hinges on so and so holding up the boxoffice for a few weeks.

For comparison, Daniel Radcliff is a Broadway star, as is Sutton Foster, etc. so after Glee, it would be interesting to have Lea have the leading role, front and center, in a fully mounted production.

Before people start screaming Lea Michele, she, like Jenna ( and Matt/Jonathan) is IMO a genuine Broadway veteran, as she was a featured player in several Broadway productions since childhood ( Les Miz, Ragtime, Fiddler on the Roof, Spring awakening) but never the leading role or more than featured. Stunt casting for short periods of time don't really count because it's not as if the success of a venture hinges on so and so holding up the boxoffice for a few weeks.

For comparison, Daniel Radcliff is a Broadway star, as is Sutton Foster, etc. so after Glee, it would be interesting to have Lea have the leading role, front and center, in a fully mounted production.

Oh... dem's fighting words. But I don't disagree. I'm not going to dispute Lea's long career on Broadway, but it's not a lie to point out that it's always been in supporting roles. That doesn't belittle her accomplishments (because to be a working actress in any capacity on Broadway is a real accomplishment).

I think that if Lea wanted to return to Broadway, she would have plenty of options open to her. I would hope that she would avoid the easy path (like taking over the lead in Wicked to capitalize on her link to Idina) and do something really challenging and try to originate a new role. It would be a great chance to set herself up as a credible Broadway star and show that she can carry a production for an extended period.

The other Glee cast I suspect would do fine heading a Broadway show (in the right vehicle) is Amber Riley. Her acting has improved in leaps and bounds and she certainly has the vocal chops for it.

Singing in a musical night after night is physically challenging and I think Amber has enough vocal training to handle it.

• Love 2

There was much debate over if Lea was the lead actress or a featured actress in Spring Awakening. Both the Tony's and the Drama Desk awards said Lead.   Also why some think she didn't get nominated for a Tony (packed year) she did get nominated as lead for Drama Desk.

Lea also when asked if she would to Bway what her dream roles would be and has said IF it was not to originate a new role before naming a few already established roles.  I have never heard her say Wicked unless asked if she would be interested.

When asked about other shows she usually always say yes which to me just mean why limit my option for something some day. It doesn't mean she thinks she should or could do every role at there.

Matt was lead actor of off Broadway show 10 million miles. He recieved the drama desk award nomination for it in the leading category. And isn't Link Larkin considered a romantic lead in Hairspray even if Tracy is of course the main protagonist.

Edited by Pink ranger

I admit there is some debate on whether Matt "starred" in the Broadway show "The Light in the Piazza" or was a featured player.  

Here is how some nominating groups viewed him:

Tony Awards Nomination – 2005 Best Featured Actor in a Musical (The Light in the Piazza)
Outer Critics Circle Awards Nomination – 2005 Best Featured Actor in a Musical (The Light in the Piazza)
Drama Desk Awards Nomination – 2005 Outstanding Actor in a Musical (The Light in the Piazza)

I lean on the side that he became a "star" during  his run in "The light in the Piazza" much like Jonathan Groff did in "Spring Awakening" as the lead male actor in those respective musicals.  Both got alot of critical acclaim and attention.    They weren't clearly just  supporting yet at the same time they weren't THE lead of the show so IMO there is some wiggle room for either position.

Whereas someone like Daniel Radcliffe, who had a vehicle staged/financed  to expressly star him in  "How to Succeed in Business"  (ie the premise was to get Daniel  specifically  in a musical) and was the marqeee player who took the show into the black after 10 stellar months of Box Office I would argue earned his stripes as a "Broadway Star" with no hedging.

Edited by caracas1914

I am catching up on Amber and Kevin's radio show.I love their banter, and being open about what they think about the music and other stuff. They had somebody on the show whose name I didn't catch, who self-produced and released, and made a good amount in revenue, so he was encouraging young artists to do this. Amber said she'll be contacting him, and also that she'd like to have a "great touring career". 

Edited by fakeempress

Not Noah, it was a guest on the show and sounded like a black artist. The stream I was listening to was cut off at the beginning.

Melissa, and also Darren will be at the Oscars for Whiplash, and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya respectively. Glee represents! 

Edited by fakeempress

And Darren Criss did a voice in that animated thing that also got a nod. It's total wibbledy wobbeldy timey wimey stuff up in here. Post-Glee somebody you'd just never expect will be the one. I'm putting my money on Dijon. He always seemed nice.

He does try and sound like a black artist.

I'm sure it wasn't Noah, the speaking voice was different, and Amber referenced he was older than her joking about maybe trying to date him and saying she likes them a little grey.

Edited by fakeempress

I still say Blake Jenner has the best chance of being a break-out star.  He is the lead in the next Richard Linklater movie after all and right now it looks like Linklater will get that best directing oscar for "Boyhood."

These are the final nominations, so the cast of the nominated movies presumably goes. Darren's is an animated feature but they are also in the main event. If they're actually going, I'm sure we'll get a word from their social media before the event.

I still say Blake Jenner has the best chance of being a break-out star.  He is the lead in the next Richard Linklater movie after all and right now it looks like Linklater will get that best directing oscar for "Boyhood."

Boyhood is somewhat of a tour de force due to how it was filmed. Even though Linklater did something approximate with the Before trilogy (which I love), it didn't get its actors nominated, but got screenplay and directorial / film nominations; Boyhood is the first time for lead Linklater actors. Of course, all the best to Blake, I'll definitely watch that movie as I have done with all Linklater movies. 

Edited by fakeempress

It isn't a guarantee, of course, but it is something that can only help Blake's career.  Linklater seems to have a decent track record when it comes to actors getting career boosts from working with him.  

I doubt if the voice cast of an animated film gets invited to attend the Oscars automatically. For sure the Director /Producers.

For example, last year Jonathan Groff watched the ceremony from the Elton John Oscar viewing party as part of Chris Coler's party even though his film " Frozen" was nominated.

Doesn't mean voice cast can't get to go through other means such as studio connections.

Darren's also in the English dub cast and not the original cast.  He might still be lucky enough to score an invite, unfortunately, I think it might be unlikely.  Still quite cool to be part of an Oscar nominated film I imagine.

I really hope that Amber can crossover from Glee to Empire. I remember she was photo'd at the premier with their cast, and she looked pretty enmeshed. So far theyve had like 2 or 3 songs each episode, so it wouldnt be too far of a stretch from what shes doing now.

• Love 4

I doubt if the voice cast of an animated film gets invited to attend the Oscars automatically. For sure the Director /Producers.

For example, last year Jonathan Groff watched the ceremony from the Elton John Oscar viewing party as part of Chris Coler's party even though his film " Frozen" was nominated.

Doesn't mean voice cast can't get to go through other means such as studio connections.

I thought they all were because I remember Kristen Bell and Idina, I guess I assumed. It's cool anyway to be in some way part of a nominated film. 

Putting on my anime fan hat here - while it's very cool that a project that Darren is connected to is up for an Oscar, don't expect to see him at the awards. Anime films frequently are considered for best animated films (Miyazaki Hayao films were practically a fixture) but the voice cast are not usually invited until they are up for another award or presenting. And as others have pointed out, Darren was a voice on the English dub version, not the original Japanese cast that the film is going to judged on. Dubbing is a lower level and many anime fans prefer to watch in the original Japanese with subtitles because so often the dubbed versions mangle the original dialogue.

Darren has been doing a bunch of dubs and animated voices lately and it looks like this can be a lucrative focus for his career. He's got a pleasant (if generic) speaking voice and his habit of over the top facial mugging won't hurt him here. And I don't crap on actors who make their careers doing animated voices - in Japan there are some that are so popular that they are well known as many conventional screen actors. Takehito Koyasu is an extremely popular and prolific voice actor who has around 500 credits to his name and now runs his own voice actor management firm.

Ok.... taking off my anime fan hat.

• Love 1

^^ That was interesting, apart from just watching some anime I'm not that familiar with it.

So Darren most probably isn't going unless he pulls an invite; Melissa seems like she should be attending as part of the cast of a nominated best feature film. As with handicapping the future careers, there is no guarantee who will end where and how soon. Good for her. I haven't seen her movie yet, but I will, I like JK Simmons a lot. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Considering that the anime film had almost no US theatrical release (basically enough to give it Oscar eligibility) and that the dub is primarily for the English-speaking video market, it's highly unlikely that this is going to get Darren onto the red carpet. There are much bigger names than his in the cast and if any of them are attending, it's because they did other more prestigious work.

Melissa's role in Whiplash doesn't seem to be a very big one, but it's still good for her prospects to be in a film like this. It really goes to show you that Glee had a lot of real talent at their disposal and just didn't do what they could with it.

Melissa was the nominal female lead, the girlfriend of Miles Teller.

This trailer pretty much spells outs the dynamics of the movie:

She essentially plays a "Marley" type character, minor,  but she's quite good in the role.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

The character starts out at 13 or so, but then 7 years pass. It says that his rival " comes back after 7 years" or something like that. Either way the character is young.

FWIW, I agree that Matt sounds good.

Edited by Sara2009

Yeah, that baseball movie does not sound like it'll be a big Oscar thing. Boyhood has the whole "filmed over 12 years" thing catapulting it.

I'm not sure if I'm excited or not for Lea. Well, steady work anyway. And I suppose it's not like Hollywood movies have been knocking on her door.

Well a paycheck is a paycheck and it pays to not burn bridges if you don't have too.   His idea are usually good for at least 1 season and it's a cast with a lot of Marquis names.   I can see why her team would thumbs up her involvement.    

I guess it's to Lea's benefit that she's continued to present an enthusiastic demeanor in reference to her work on Glee.  Hollywood or More Everyday Jobs, Bosses tend to prefer employees that are outwardly appreciative.

Yeah I get all that. I just selfishly want her to stay far away from Ryan for my own personal reasons, and because Ryan eventually ruins every show he ever has his hands in, and I just hate the idea of Lea jumping from one sinking ship to another eventual one. Also, I swore I'd never watching another Murphy production after Glee, so it sucks for me that I won't be watching Lea's next show, because I enjoy her as an actress.

• Love 1

Yeah I get all that. I just selfishly want her to stay far away from Ryan for my own personal reasons, and because Ryan eventually ruins every show he ever has his hands in, and I just hate the idea of Lea jumping from one sinking ship to another eventual one. Also, I swore I'd never watching another Murphy production after Glee, so it sucks for me that I won't be watching Lea's next show, because I enjoy her as an actress.

Well it is a anthology so maybe one year and out.

• Love 1

Reading the description

A casting breakdown indicates the series will center on three young women, Curtis' role and a father.

I think the three young women will be Emma Roberts, Abigail Breslin, and Keke Palmer and the father will be Manganiello.  I wonder what role Lea is going to play? Maybe someone who is in college with the 3 girls but older than them?  Whatever it is it sounds like it will be a supporting role (nothing wrong with that) and it will be interesting to see how RM & team write a character Lea is playing that is supporting rather than lead.

Edited by camussie

Being an anthology series, it may not be as bad as Glee's become. Ryan's shows usually start all engines firing up, so I expect the first season to be good or at least intriguing. And I think this genre is a good fit for Lea, she's great with comedy mixed with something else. I didn't imagine she got a lot of offers for meaty movie roles, I don't think HW sees her as a movie lead. As as others say, it may not be as a firm regular throughout the series.

Starting production in spring does put a question mark though on Lea's potential spring/summer tour she talked about before.

Edited by fakeempress

Reading the description

I think the three young women will be Emma Roberts, Abigail Breslin, and Keke Palmer and the father will be Manganiello.  I wonder what role Lea is going to play? Maybe someone who is in college with the 3 girls but older than them? 

Maybe like scream and have a reporter like Courtney Cox who snoops around?