Type keyword(s) to search

The GCEh?C: Canadian Episodes (Spoilers for Non-Canadians)

• Start Topic

On 5/10/2020 at 12:28 AM, bannana said:

Another weird thing about Drinki, I cannot believe how long she had that baby voice!  She sure doesn't have it now and I don't think that has to do with age or smoking.

On a tangent, the one actress whose voice has really changed over the years is Kate Mulgrew. I've seen her early work on Ryan's Hope and her voice changed within the first two seasons, like...a LOT.

• Love 2

It was nice seeing Daniel and Heather. I could do without Daisy. 

I loved the fight between Sharon and Nikki. The actresses must have had so much fun filming those scenes. Nikki with her head in a bucket cracked me up. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I watched today's ep, which is I guess the beginning of Winters' week.

• Love, love, loved how Dru and Neil met.  Wow.  Writing, directing  and acting.  Who knew those things could happen on a soap?  It was amazing. The chemistry was there from the beginning, but mostly, both actors brought it.  Bittersweet, of course.
  • The actor who plays Brock really hasn't aged at all, which is weird.  But those outdoor scenes, where he is shot?  Yeah, those were the days in soapworld.  I did think it was funny that he was much bigger than the idiot who assaulted him, but he did nothing.  I am chalking that up to the fact that I think he was a pacifist.
  • This episode reminded me that I had a random sighting of Patty Weaver in Vegas at Bally's in 1987.  Would this be around that time?
  • Never watched during this Cassandra era so I really don't get what Brad's problem is.
  • This is probably going to be unpopular, but I was never a fan of Jeanne Cooper's weird eye-darting left to right acting technique.  There was a lot of it in this ep.  I think she eventually stopped doing that.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

That was a really cute lion. 

Also, it was nice to see JT again knowing he wasn't an abusive asshole. I liked his conversation with Brittany. 

Oh, JT. Why did they have to ruin your character?

• Love 6

Terrible Tom had quite a swarmy kinda hot quality to him. I found myself disturbingly attracted to him yesterday. 

Victoria looked so pretty with some extra fat on her face, rather than the emancipated, sunken look she's currently sporting. I don't know why AH thinks she looks good as a walking skeleton. 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Terrible Tom had quite a swarmy kinda hot quality to him. I found myself disturbingly attracted to him yesterday. 

Victoria looked so pretty with some extra fat on her face, rather than the emancipated, sunken look she's currently sporting. I don't know why AH thinks she looks good as a walking skeleton. 

She really does. She's a pretty woman, I wonder if she has body dysmorphia?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Don't feel bad,

Roscoe Born has been doing that to people since his Ryan's Hope days.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Okay, seeing David Kimble again with 'killer' carved into his forehead was awesome. And was his death! I laughed when they showed his body all compacted and wrapped up, heh.

Nina's mother was annoying. I know you think your daughter was murdered, but could you try to keep it down? She gave me a headache, heh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
16 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Okay, seeing David Kimble again with 'killer' carved into his forehead was awesome. And was his death! I laughed when they showed his body all compacted and wrapped up, heh.

I happened to watch today (US) and I was so excited to see him coming up in the Villains week promo.  They should have dedicated a whole week to him. Even though Y&R was never my soap, I do recall turning in for this story.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Nina's mother was annoying. I know you think your daughter was murdered, but could you try to keep it down? She gave me a headache, heh.

I wasn't watching Show during this era, so I was intrigued.  But, holy crap, the overacting by "Flo" was so dramatic, WTAF was that?  I could not believe how patient Paul and John were (John De Silva!  what ever happened to him?).

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

After she became rich, Jill didn't like poor people even though she was poor herself. 

Huge yikes.

I know TIIC in B&B tried a similar thing with Brooke and Amber, but Amber *did* bring nothing to the table but trouble and havoc to her family. As far as I'm aware, Nina's only sin was living on the wrong side of the tracks and the pregnancy with Chance wasn't some scheme to social climb.

• Love 3
On 5/24/2020 at 5:34 PM, Anna Yolei said:

Huge yikes.

I know TIIC in B&B tried a similar thing with Brooke and Amber, but Amber *did* bring nothing to the table but trouble and havoc to her family. As far as I'm aware, Nina's only sin was living on the wrong side of the tracks and the pregnancy with Chance wasn't some scheme to social climb.

I can't remember but were Jill and maybe Katherine both trying to take Chance away from Nina? Like you would think with they would remember people trying to take their own kid and not do the same to Nina.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

I can't remember but were Jill and maybe Katherine both trying to take Chance away from Nina? Like you would think with they would remember people trying to take their own kid and not do the same to Nina.

They did. One of the few times they worked together on anything.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

They did. One of the few times they worked together on anything.

The more I learn about Jill and Katherine, the more I realize these two were less two sides of the same coin as much as they were cut from the same cloth.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ. I assume they didn't win the custody suit--why would they when his mother is right there and fit as a fiddle--but can you imagine if they did win and the fights they would have had as they used poor Chance as a pawn.

OH WAIT I CAN. Because they did that to P3. And IIRC, that shit is why he "died" and hid out in Oz for three decades rather than deal with the two of them. Even worse, he brought Cane to Genoa City to take his place. So thanks for that shit and ruining the Winters' gene pool, you two bitter old crones 🖕

Seriously, they're both so awful and yet also proof the chemistry goes a looking way for longevity in a soap opera.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Anna Yolei said:

Jesus tap-dancing Christ. I assume they didn't win the custody suit--why would they when his mother is right there and fit as a fiddle--but can you imagine if they did win and the fights they would have had as they used poor Chance as a pawn.

It is even more despicable because they knew that Nina already had one child stolen away from her.

I never liked the Bug, but she helped Nina to make sure that she wouldn't lose her son.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

The only parts I didn't FF through were those featuring one of the great Large Ladz--Bobby Marsino, AKA John Enos. Good to see ya, Bobby. Couldn't care less what the plotline was, and even if I can't get you in the Elvis Thurderbird jumpsuit [DOOL], I'll take what I can get.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I need context for this classic episode but here are my thoughts:

LOL at Sharon hosting a Gala at the Newman Raunch! 

Poor Ashley and her postpartum. It was sad to watch. Almost as sad as her hair.

Nikki looked wonderful in that emerald green dress but man, that wig and that particular shade of straw are both really bad.

Speaking of really bad, what was that shiny spaghetti strap with wings contraption that Sharon was wearing? Yikes.

Kevin as a real baddie about to burn down Gina’s. Does this make way for the Underground (no, I mean Glo-worm)? Who is the woman that he’s locked in the walk-in fridge?

(Edited to add: did I just hear Kevin call her Colleen? Is this how she dies and Victor gets her heart?)

Also, CKLily was so young! What was it with her obsession with “bad boys” (didn’t she run away with Daniel Romalotti?).

It still kind of hurts my heart to watch Kristoff St. John 

Edited by catalogrrr
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, catalogrrr said:

Who is the woman that he’s locked in the walk-in fridge?

Traci Abbott and Brad Carlton's daughter, Colleen. She died because of Paul's crazy sister who Victor brought to town. And yes, the old gasbag got her heart during one of his medical traumas.

43 minutes ago, catalogrrr said:

didn’t she run away with Daniel Romalotti?

Yes. I don't think he was bad. He could've been worse with Phyllis as his mother. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, nilyank said:

It is even more despicable because they knew that Nina already had one child stolen away from her.

Th--

900707032_staringcat.jpg.86c35a85a9e56825f6c950cd8cbfc625.jpg

God, this explains so fucking much about why Buttbiscuit turned out the way he did and why Jill loved that sack of shit Cane like her own son so much. This is some Victor Newman shit right here.

I-- 

🤦

(The first baby Nina lost, I assume, was in connection to the Rose DeVille (DeWitt?) story that Darlene Conley was a part of before she became Sally on B&B, no? Something about baby brokering and selling babies like furniture? Did she ever get that first baby back? I know there was Ronan but I thought he was a retcon character)

• Love 5

Some of my thoughts watching today's classic episode. 

Lily looked so young today. Which made her and Kevin's relationship even creepier. I wasn't watching much around this time (probably in school) so this was new to me. She definitely has a thing for older boys though, Daniel, Kevin and later Cane. Girl has some daddy issues, me thinks. 

Kevin sure used a lot of fucking alcohol to try and burn down Gina's place.  He also played creepy/mentally ill really well. 

JT was such a cutie back then. I'm so sad his character was ruined. 

It's weird seeing Brittney with Bobby. She looks like a child next to him. Also, Brittney's dancing is about as sexy and riveting as Nikki's, heh. 

I'm not familiar with Ashley losing a baby with Brad. I thought she had lost Victor's kid so this Robert story line is new and confusing. 

Anyway, good episode but I doubt they will show us the follow up with Colleen getting out of the freezer. 

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

(The first baby Nina lost, I assume, was in connection to the Rose DeVille (DeWitt?) story that Darlene Conley was a part of before she became Sally on B&B, no? Something about baby brokering and selling babies like furniture? Did she ever get that first baby back? I know there was Ronan but I thought he was a retcon character)

Nina never could find him. It was until Ronan showed up in town and revealed to her that he was her son that she finally got her son back.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, nilyank said:

Nina never could find him. It was until Ronan showed up in town and revealed to her that he was her son that she finally got her son back.

And by then the return policy had long expired so she was stuck with him.

• LOL 10
14 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Traci Abbott and Brad Carlton's daughter, Colleen. She died because of Paul's crazy sister who Victor brought to town. And yes, the old gasbag got her heart during one of his medical traumas.

Yes. I don't think he was bad. He could've been worse with Phyllis as his mother. 

Thanks for the answers. I guess Colleen gets out of the freezer and she dies later? 

Daniel managed to come out okay given his lineage, for sure.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, catalogrrr said:

Thanks for the answers. I guess Colleen gets out of the freezer and she dies later? 

Paul's crazy sister, Patty had plastic surgery at Victor's behest to look like a doctor and start an affair with Jack. After going completely batshit she kidnapped Colleen and took her out in the woods somewhere (Abbott cabin?) and Jack went to rescue her. She tried to escape in a canoe but she fell out and almost drowned. Jack did CPR but after she was taken to the hospital she was declared brain dead so Traci pulled the plug, so to speak and donated her heart to Victor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I am so ticked that we're just getting the lead up to the fire and not the rescue. 

Although it reminds me how much I still despise Kevin. Yes, he had a bad childhood, but that doesn't excuse his actions - attempted murder, statutory rape, and arson among them. 

And he also gave Lily a STD. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

(The first baby Nina lost, I assume, was in connection to the Rose DeVille (DeWitt?) story that Darlene Conley was a part of before she became Sally on B&B, no? Something about baby brokering and selling babies like furniture?

Rose Deville. Probably the last name is a homage to the villainess Cruella Deville from 101 Dalmations. I remember seeing the storyline, and she was scary. I was glad Nina did find out what happened to her missing son.  The show mentioned the Deville name again when Billy bought Lucy from Rose's niece, Primrose. 

17 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I'm not familiar with Ashley losing a baby with Brad. I thought she had lost Victor's kid so this Robert story line is new and confusing. 

She aborted Victor's child after he reunited with Nikki, and she had a breakdown. She had a breakdown after losing Robert in stillbirth too. I guess that kind of explains whey she went to such desperate measures to have Abby.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, catalogrrr said:

I really liked Daniel and wish he would come back.  He’s legacy and he is handsome.  I’d trade Kyle for Daniel any day of the week.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Paul's crazy sister, Patty had plastic surgery at Victor's behest to look like a doctor and start an affair with Jack. After going completely batshit she kidnapped Colleen and took her out in the woods somewhere (Abbott cabin?) and Jack went to rescue her. She tried to escape in a canoe but she fell out and almost drowned. Jack did CPR but after she was taken to the hospital she was declared brain dead so Traci pulled the plug, so to speak and donated her heart to Victor.

I have a memory of Colleen (not my fave Colleen) under the water, drowning, and she sees her dad, Brad.  Did this happen or am I imagining this?  It really creeped me out and it was also very sad.

I also remember hating Pricktor as he caused her death, and we still to this day have no idea what his plan was with bringing Patty back to mess with Jack. Other than, Pricktor is a prick.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, bannana said:

I have a memory of Colleen (not my fave Colleen) under the water, drowning, and she sees her dad, Brad.  Did this happen or am I imagining this?  It really creeped me out and it was also very sad.

I also remember hating Pricktor as he caused her death, and we still to this day have no idea what his plan was with bringing Patty back to mess with Jack. Other than, Pricktor is a prick.

Brad froze trying to rescue Noah.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Brad froze trying to rescue Noah.

Yeah, that was also a horrible scene, Bradsicle. 😁

But did ghost Bradsicle show up when Colleen was drowning to take her to the other side?

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, bannana said:

Yeah, that was also a horrible scene, Bradsicle. 😁

But did ghost Bradsicle show up when Colleen was drowning to take her to the other side?

Yup, in a super secret surprise as DD was already on B&B, Brad appeared to Colleen as she was drowning/dying to welcome her to the other side. It was when you saw Brad that you knew Colleen was really done for.

On 5/27/2020 at 6:14 PM, babyhouseman said:

She aborted Victor's child after he reunited with Nikki, and she had a breakdown. She had a breakdown after losing Robert in stillbirth too. I guess that kind of explains whey she went to such desperate measures to have Abby.

Abby was already born when Ashley got pregnant with Robert as Brad was originally playing Abby's dad and Brad/Ashley married until the truth came out. Ashley was supposed to be on bed rest but for some reason needed to urgently get to Victor and ended up having a car accident. While Victor was not directly the cause of the death of Robert, like with Nikki and Jack's lost son, he did play a role.

And I'm just now realizing that both of Brad's biological children died in connection to Victor. Damn, that's sad. 

Ashley later again had a miracle pregnancy with Victor that was quickly ended due to Adam's gaslighting poor Ashley into a tumble down the stairs. She continued to believe she was pregnant and the guilt ridden Adam gave her Sharon's baby Faith.  When Ashley 'awoke' from her labor, baby Faith was in her arms.

Yeah, Ashley's had crappy luck with her pregnancies. The only one that worked was Abby and she was off canvas for the duration I believe.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, geauxaway said:

I really liked Daniel and wish he would come back.  He’s legacy and he is handsome.  I’d trade Kyle for Daniel any day of the week.

Daniel back working for Devon at the music company and reuniting with Lily would be great. Lil Lucy coming with him so she can remind Phyllis daily that she's her grandmother would be even better. My hope would be Jack happily becoming a pseudo grandpa to Lucy.

• Love 10

Daniel back working for Devon at the music company and reuniting with Lily would be great. Lil Lucy coming with him so she can remind Phyllis daily that she's her grandmother would be even better. My hope would be Jack happily becoming a pseudo grandpa to Lucy.

You're evil. I like that.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

Daniel back working for Devon at the music company and reuniting with Lily would be great. Lil Lucy coming with him so she can remind Phyllis daily that she's her grandmother would be even better. My hope would be Jack happily becoming a pseudo grandpa to Lucy.

Yasssss!!!!!!   Love this!

• Love 5

Since my observations on these episodes amount to "what didn't I FF through," I'll offer another from yesterday's CDN:

There certainly must have been better financing at that point; the whole amusement park merry-go-round thing couldn't have been cheap to film. However, all I noticed was the Hitchcock Strangers on a Train homage--and it was well done, too. Followed by the hall of mirrors Orson Welles Lady from Shanghai scene--also really well filmed.

Just now, pearlite said:

double post please ignore

• Love 4

I'd say Pricktor was very much responsible for the death of Robert Carlton and I can't believe how much I remember of this storyline.

Newman Enterprises and Jabot were competing for a WOC cosmetics line. NE outbid Jabot because Dru (who worked for Jabot) blabbed to Neil (who worked for NE) to buy the line (so via insider information so the purchase was totally illegal).

Jabot, wanting to compete, resurrected a WOC cosmetics line that Ashley had been working on.  That's when they hired hottie chemist Damon to work on Ashley's line.

Jabot was hurting financially but thought their new line and their good reputation would get them out of the red. Well, Pricktor couldn't have that and blackmailed Michael into paying off the large retailers Jabot was counting off to give NE the lion's share of shelf space that they normally would have retained for Jabot.  

Both products were set to roll out on the same day and that's when Pricktor, knowing what he had done, felt the need to personally track down a very pregnant Ashley, who was getting some much needed relaxation at a resort before her imminent delivery. Of course, she suspected something was up or why would he be there but he was giving her these very cryptic "Don't worry. All will be well" comments. Which only served to make her worry. 

Fast forward to the next day and NE's line is flying off the shelves and Ashley knew Victor had pulled a fast one, especially after he had shown up the day before, making those comments. That's when she got in the car to head back to GC, to confront him. 

But for Victor's illegal actions (and this includes outbidding Jabot with insider information), the shelf-space bribe, and his act of coming to the resort to tell Ashley, "Don't worry, stay away," it's reasonable to think Ashley would never have gotten in that car and been in the emotional state she was in. So I hold him very much responsible for Robert's death and I, too, HATE that both of Brad's children died. And BOTH at Victor's hands. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

While Victor was not directly the cause of the death of Robert, like with Nikki and Jack's lost son, he did play a role.

Is that one where John Abbott punched Pricktor for causing Ash's miscarriage?

8 hours ago, pearlite said:

However, all I noticed was the Hitchcock Strangers on a Train homage--and it was well done, too. Followed by the hall of mirrors Orson Welles Lady from Shanghai scene--also really well filmed.

Yes, I was impressed!

7 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

But for Victor's illegal actions (and this includes outbidding Jabot with insider information), the shelf-space bribe, and his act of coming to the resort to tell Ashley, "Don't worry, stay away," it's reasonable to think Ashley would never have gotten in that car and been in the emotional state she was in. So I hold him very much responsible for Robert's death and I, too, HATE that both of Brad's children died. And BOTH at Victor's hands. 

Oh, good job of recapping that, it is all coming back to me.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Upon further thought, knowing this show? Lucy would be aged up along with Johnny and Connor and possibly Bella so that Billy and Adam's sons would be fighting over Phyllis' granddaughter and Chloe's daughter.

My hope would be Lucy and Bella would end up together but I can totally see Connor and Bella falling for each other and it practically tear the town apart. But then that's good soap.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I may have set a record yesterday for least FF-time. I only ditched Young Billy and Mac--not for me.

The "John's Funeral" episode was epic Abbotts, plus Gloria, and that I'll watch. Much as I've always regretted the killing off of John, and still do, this episode did him justice. Everyone looked great; the sets were so well dressed, and the whole cast was on point--Gloria even favoured us with a Gloria Swanson eye-roll!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Gloria even favoured us with a Gloria Swanson eye-roll!

Thanks for the heads up!  I will make sure to pay attention today.  I always have it on “live,” but of course it’s recording too, so worst case if work gets in my way I can rewatch this evening.  I won’t want to miss this!  GLOWORM 4EVA!!!!

• Love 4
On 5/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, geauxaway said:

I really liked Daniel and wish he would come back.  He’s  legacy and he is handsome.  I’d trade Kyle for Daniel any day of the week.

But then how could Granma Phyl be so hot and young. It might be cool to have a younger generation like GL had - a group of kids interacting growing up as friends/ cousins and geting into mischief. Only rarely like the bar-b-q or holidays. 

• Love 4