Type keyword(s) to search

The GCEh?C: Canadian Episodes (Spoilers for Non-Canadians)

• Start Topic

Today's classic episode was fantastic!

Paul and Cricket were on their honeymoon on Nevis, and Phyllis just happens to be there with Dr. Tim (why, I am not sure).  Hijinks ensue.

Everyone looks so young and beautiful, especially Heather Tom, she was stunning.  I didn't really understand what was going on with her but it looks like she was married to Ryan before, and is with Cole now, but is flirting with or getting it on with Ryan, who seems to be with Nina.  I didn't watch during this era so it was all new to me.  I am guessing this was the '90s?

Sharon and Nick are pregnant so I guess that is Noah?

Location shoots, beautiful sets and lighting, it was like a completely different show.

• Love 7

I only watched the first 20 minutes or so of the vintage ep, but will watch the rest tomorrow. However, this is what I did notice. 

1. Even back then MS was fond of over-acting. 

2. Even back then, Phyllis/MS was doing weird stuff with cherries.

Just eat the damn maraschino! 

*ahem*

Sorry, that is all for now. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

1. Even back then MS was fond of over-acting. 

2. Even back then, Phyllis/MS was doing weird stuff with cherries.

@jewel21, I thought the same thing!  She was a complete hambone and over-acting back then!

But, watching this ep, it was a little bit charming (except for the dead octopus in the bed).  Today's Phyllis is not charming in any way.

What I don't know is why she has this hard-on against Paul and Christine.  Why would she care if they have a fun honeymoon?

• Love 5

IIRC, when Phyllis was first introduced, she was a groupie/fangirl for Danny. She pretended that he was her son’s father; she hated Cricket because Danny loved her and continued with the hatred long after Cricket and Danny broke up and she fell n love with Paul.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Loving the old episodes and we get them all next week!  The show seemed so much better then and I noticed fewer commercial breaks.  

Had to laugh at Cricket (Christine) wearing high heels in her bathing suit and left her hair hanging while at the beach where most tie it up then finally puts it into a ponytail when she is supposed to be sexy...lol

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Funny, one thing I didn't enjoy about this episode--there were more of the old soapy fixed-stare shots--the action and dialogue stop, and main character stares meaningfully at the camera. Oh, and while I'm crabby, I never liked Ryan or whatever his name was. Isn't he married to Jennifer on DOOL? Whereby hangs a famous tale?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

OMG, Ryan was my favourite! I'm so happy to see him again and I'm so sad he was killed off. 

Remember when cute bad boy/good guy Tony the mechanic was killed off? Made me so sad, too. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, bannana said:

I didn't really understand what was going on with her but it looks like she was married to Ryan before, and is with Cole now, but is flirting with or getting it on with Ryan, who seems to be with Nina. 

I was never crazy about this storyline. All I remember is Victoria hiding in the closet in his apartment while Ryan and Nina were outside making love. V had planned to surprise him, but she got surprised. 

Cole was thought to be Victor's son, but that wasn't true. His mother Eve Howard was an old fling of Victor's. He was involved with Nikki too.

And I thought the octopus was for Cricket/Danny's honeymoon. Wrong husband. 

10 hours ago, Capricasix said:

continued with the hatred long after Cricket and Danny broke up and she fell n love with Paul.

Yes, remember she ran over Cricket and Paul and made Paul impotent. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/18/2020 at 2:03 AM, jewel21 said:

Oh, Theo. You really are the dumbest. *facepalm*

What happened to that Jared character? He was on for awhile, his grandpa died, he ran off, got arrested, is supposedly working at the new Free-Clinic, and hasn't been seen in weeks. Did he get locked in a closet? Too bad it's not Victoria's closet or he could make friends with Ryder. 

I think Jared went looking for Sam.......

• LOL 7
17 hours ago, Capricasix said:

IIRC, when Phyllis was first introduced, she was a groupie/fangirl for Danny. She pretended that he was her son’s father; she hated Cricket because Danny loved her and continued with the hatred long after Cricket and Danny broke up and she fell n love with Paul.

So she hated Cricket when she was with Paul, because she had previously been with Danny?  Okay, that explains a lot!  Is this also why she tried to run them over?

• Love 4

Oh, myyy. Daniel. It's funny I never really liked him when he was on the show but seeing him today made me so happy. And my he was attractive. I just finished re-watching the first season of Spartacus with Andy Whitfield and MG looks so much like him. It's kind of crazy. 

It's funny, I'm so riveted to these vintage episodes that I don't even go on my phone when they're on. 

And wow, Devon and Lily were so young! They looked like babies. 

It looks like tomorrow will be the continuation of yesterday's episode which I'm happy about because I want to see more of Catherine's intervention. Although I'm not thrilled to see original Mack. Man, she was not attractive. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Today’s epi was Chloe and Billy’s wedding. 
OMG is Billy Miller a doll 🤤

Phyllis was going on and on about Sharon stealing things and sleeping around. She kept saying “my huzzband” and was berating Sharon for stealing the stupid monkey statue that Nick gave her when they were sneaking around on Sharon. It made me think of Valley as she used to hate those little monkeys. 

BM and PB were gorgeous in their tuxedos. 

Mrs C and Jill throwing wedding cake at each other was just one more omen that this marriage was doomed. 

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Today’s epi was Chloe and Billy’s wedding. 
OMG is Billy Miller a doll 🤤

Phyllis was going on and on about Sharon stealing things and sleeping around. She kept saying “my huzzband” and was berating Sharon for stealing the stupid monkey statue that Nick gave her when they were sneaking around on Sharon. It made me think of Valley as she used to hate those little monkeys. 

BM and PB were gorgeous in their tuxedos. 

Mrs C and Jill throwing wedding cake at each other was just one more omen that this marriage was doomed. 

Was that during the time when Sharon slept with Billy the night before? And she has a WTD situation with Billy, Nick and Jack?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I actually didn't FF much of yesterday's CDN, and that's something.

These were kind of glory days for the show in some ways--Chancellor Mansion set looked great, and big! Flowers! Everybody but Jill [horrible hair] looked great--PB and BM! in white tie, no less, and Murphy! Not on the Poor Sharon train, so I'll give that part a pass, and whichever McKenzie that was, she was as FF-able as ever. And everybody had some tormented storyline, all tangled up in a nice bow.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, pearlite said:

I actually didn't FF much of yesterday's CDN, and that's something.

These were kind of glory days for the show in some ways--Chancellor Mansion set looked great, and big! Flowers! Everybody but Jill [horrible hair] looked great--PB and BM! in white tie, no less, and Murphy! Not on the Poor Sharon train, so I'll give that part a pass, and whichever McKenzie that was, she was as FF-able as ever. And everybody had some tormented storyline, all tangled up in a nice bow.

Those were the days.

• Love 3

Watching Phyllis on these old shows, which I’m loving BTW, is like watching her on today’s shows. She’s just as annoying, repetitive and untalented then as now. Shut up, Phyllis. We do not like you then or now.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Not a bad episode again, for much the same reasons that yesterday's was good--cast, sets, costumes.

But then, since I watch show after watching DOOL, I had a moment.... Patty Williams, Emily Whatever? Wait, hon--you're Kristen. Still crazy after all these years.

• LOL 4

I didn't recognize anyone today other than Victor, Nikki and Douglas. It kind of took me out of the episode. Especially because none of these characters are still around, so why should I care about them?

That Vanessa chick reminded me of Catherine for a minute or two. I almost thought it was her when the show first started and we saw a close-up of her ring. 

April sounds familiar. I remember my mom mentioning her. She was with Paul and got knocked up or something? Am I making story up?

Hopefully next week will be better aka more recognizable. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Capricasix said:

April was Paul’s wife IIRC, and Heather’s mother. The only storyline of hers that I remember was when she shot her dentist 😄

Huh!  I've often thought of shooting mine.

• LOL 10
10 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I didn't recognize anyone today other than Victor, Nikki and Douglas. It kind of took me out of the episode. Especially because none of these characters are still around, so why should I care about them?

That Vanessa chick reminded me of Catherine for a minute or two. I almost thought it was her when the show first started and we saw a close-up of her ring. 

April sounds familiar. I remember my mom mentioning her. She was with Paul and got knocked up or something? Am I making story up?

Gotta admit I turned it off and erased. Same "why should I care" reaction here.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Capricasix said:

The only storyline of hers that I remember was when she shot her dentist 😄

I remember her being abused by her husband. I looked it up, and the dentist was her husband. She ended up killing him and got off on self-defense. John Silva was one of her lawyers besides Christine. I had forgotten about him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

I remember her being abused by her husband. I looked it up, and the dentist was her husband. She ended up killing him and got off on self-defense. John Silva was one of her lawyers besides Christine. I had forgotten about him.

Oh, right! I don’t know why, but I always remembered this one particular scene when Paul and April were in a restaurant, and someone said, “Look, there’s that *murderess*” 🤣 I mean, who says “murderess”, even back then? 

• LOL 6
15 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Oh, right! I don’t know why, but I always remembered this one particular scene when Paul and April were in a restaurant, and someone said, “Look, there’s that *murderess*” 🤣 I mean, who says “murderess”, even back then? 

It wasn't Mary Williams, was it?  I can imagine Paulie's momma Tightpockets saying that.

• LOL 6

Oops, another erase episode for me. There was a hair-off between Danny and PC3 --badly acted, badly written; there was some mewing from Cricket to Mme Chancellor, and then I stopped caring.

Sorry, I'm the least nostalgic person you can imagine, so I'm not the audience for these episodes.

Back to Doc Martin.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Oh, Nikki. Always keeping it Klassy. 

I love how she tends to look down on certain people, but it wasn't that long ago that she was stripping in the Colonnade Room, heh.  And jealous of a belly dancer or something. 

I had two kids and my stomach is still flat! And my legs. When I was dancing at the Bayou, all those men's eyes on me...

Oh No Reaction GIF

Embarrassed Shame GIF

• LOL 6
24 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I love how she tends to look down on certain people, but it wasn't that long ago that she was stripping in the Colonnade Room, heh. 

Nikki had another storyline involving stripping when she met Bobby Marsino who had a strip club. I don't think she stripped there.  Kevin worked there(as a bookkeeper, not a stripper), and that's how he was introduced. Brittany Hodges, the lawyer who showed up every so often, was Bobby's wife and mother of his child. She was a Glo by Jabot Teen with Billy and Mac(who wasn't a Teen, just a scowly assistant.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

@babyhouseman, one of my favorite moments, ever, was when Bobby showed up at the Newman estate for some gala or something and sidled up to Nikki, who was doing her best snooty Lady of the Manor impression and he talked about how he loved seeing her at The Bayou as a kid. 

Wiped the snoot right off her face. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
25 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

@babyhouseman, one of my favorite moments, ever, was when Bobby showed up at the Newman estate for some gala or something and sidled up to Nikki, who was doing her best snooty Lady of the Manor impression and he talked about how he loved seeing her at The Bayou as a kid. 

Wiped the snoot right off her face. 

They let kids in there?  o O

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think I lasted a little longer with yesterday's CDN. Don't know why, except there was Ashley, who they'd managed to wrangle into what looked like a blond fright wig [I know, I know--then she made the video, but I'd checked out by that point]. And Sharon being her usual MEMEMEME annoying self. And so on.

It was of course Nikki and Victor's umpteenth wedding. Fine. But check out the processional music, guys and gals! "Deutschland Über Alles" no less. Unusual, you say? A little something from EB's personal request list?

Stopped watching, because unless they featured "Springtime for Hitler" at the reception, nothing could top that.

Edited by pearlite
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

Man, Nikki had some serious stank face walking down the aisle. 

And OMG, the waterworks display from HT and SC. I know, I know, HT cries at the drop of a hat whether it's Victoria or Katie, but WTF was Sharon crying for?

The umpteenth reunion of Nicktor? Don't think so.

So I supposed she was moved by seeing Banana Breath all gussied up in a tux and fresh from his annual bathing and delousing.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

And OMG, the waterworks display from HT and SC. I know, I know, HT cries at the drop of a hat whether it's Victoria or Katie, but WTF was Sharon crying for?

I dunno either, but my guess would be that Nick was sticking his dick somewhere it didn't belong and she didn't have time to deal with it. That's usually a safe bet.

I can't believe I ever thought HT looked good as a blonde. I was thrown for a loop by her natural brunette when she came over to B&B but it's so much more flattering.

Speaking of hair, OMG Ashley's was so terrible. I realized halfway into the episode that she was battling cancer and it was likely a wig in show as well but YIKES, the Rachel was already dated in 2002.

Also, Thursday was a weird date to have a wedding on.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 4

So today was the fight with Catherine and Jill in the attic. I vaguely recall the episode. What I want to know is why was there a tarantula in Catherine's attic?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

Watching these classic eps, and even watching the eps at the end of Kay's tenure, it is always said how much everyone reveres/d Katherine (talking about the character, not the actress).

I watched when Katherine killed Phillip Chancellor and then was a c**t to Jill.  

Years later, I had stopped watching for more than a decade, maybe two,  so I never saw the ep in the attic. And don't know the lead-in.  But Katherine was the aggressor toward Jill.  I seriously wanted Jill to punch her and I am a non-confrontational person!  And I am not even a Jill fan!

All this to say, I never understood the Katherine love.  She was a big Pricktor Newman supporter.  She had an acid tongue toward Jill and others she didn't like.  She just seemed like a nasty bitch to me.

Oh, and she killed Phillip.

mad fists GIF

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I thought MTS looked gorgeous in today’s CDN epi. The short do was very becoming and her outfit was very chic.

Victor telling her that she had to go away for a few days while he dealt with Diane Jenkins was pretty misogynistic. She should have told to fuck himself. It was probably about plausible deniability but good grief man, give the woman credit. She sticks by you even though she should have left your old ass in the dust. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

I thought MTS looked gorgeous in today’s CDN epi. The short do was very becoming and her outfit was very chic.

Victor telling her that she had to go away for a few days while he dealt with Diane Jenkins was pretty misogynistic. She should have told to fuck himself. It was probably about plausible deniability but good grief man, give the woman credit. She sticks by you even though she should have left your old ass in the dust. 

True. On the plus side, we got to see Nikki's sister. If not for these old episodes, I wouldn't even know she had one. Why don't they ever mention her? What is she doing? Is she still alive? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, bannana said:

Watching these classic eps, and even watching the eps at the end of Kay's tenure, it is always said how much everyone reveres/d Katherine (talking about the character, not the actress).

I watched when Katherine killed Phillip Chancellor and then was a c**t to Jill.  

Years later, I had stopped watching for more than a decade, maybe two,  so I never saw the ep in the attic. And don't know the lead-in.  But Katherine was the aggressor toward Jill.  I seriously wanted Jill to punch her and I am a non-confrontational person!  And I am not even a Jill fan!

All this to say, I never understood the Katherine love.  She was a big Pricktor Newman supporter.  She had an acid tongue toward Jill and others she didn't like.  She just seemed like a nasty bitch to me.

Oh, and she killed Phillip.

mad fists GIF

I know what you mean.  I loved Jeanne Cooper, but I didn't always like Katherine.  While I always enjoyed seeing her onscreen, as you say, she was far too much of a Victor propper in those last years to suit me.  I clearly remember her not giving Victor fire and brimstone for arresting Victoria on the day of her wedding to Billy - BILLY, who up until recently she had thought was her grandson.  That really damaged my feeling for Katherine for a while.

I do remember Jeanne Cooper, in some interview, alluding to not liking how much of a Victor propper MAB made her during her tenure.

Kay was, in my opinion, an indelible character but she wasn't always a very nice one.

Plus, she loved Kevin AND Amber!  While I don't share the Kevin love, who ON EARTH would love Amber as anything but a compost additive?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, boes said:

I know what you mean.  I loved Jeanne Cooper, but I didn't always like Katherine.  While I always enjoyed seeing her onscreen, as you say, she was far too much of a Victor propper in those last years to suit me.  I clearly remember her not giving Victor fire and brimstone for arresting Victoria on the day of her wedding to Billy - BILLY, who up until recently she had thought was her grandson.  That really damaged my feeling for Katherine for a while.

I do remember Jeanne Cooper, in some interview, alluding to not liking how much of a Victor propper MAB made her during her tenure.

Kay was, in my opinion, an indelible character but she wasn't always a very nice one.

Plus, she loved Kevin AND Amber!  While I don't share the Kevin love, who ON EARTH would love Amber as anything but a compost additive?

There was something weird about Amber. I can't put my finger on it.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

That short do on her was beautiful.  Too bad soaps think that women have to have long hair to be desirable.

Another weird thing about Drinki, I cannot believe how long she had that baby voice!  She sure doesn't have it now and I don't think that has to do with age or smoking.

It is so interesting to watch these old eps where clearly the writers and producers are, if not misogynistic, certainly demeaning towards women.  And yet, as a kid, I watched this stuff and thought it was just fine!  I could not believe watching some of the early stuff I watched as a kid and how John Abbott was essentially dismissive of women.  Makes me love Dina and Jill now.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 5/9/2020 at 1:43 AM, bannana said:

I guess it had more to do with the BTS love for JC than anything onscreen. Everything I've ever heard about those early years points to a bitter old crone who made everyone around her miserable. I almost made a comparison to early Stephanie Forrester but TBH even at her lowest point I never sense she was always coming from a place of hate. Plus, Eric *is* a damn horny fool who has never deserved any of the wives he's had, Quinn included, so could sympathize with Steph until the last five years or so 

Somehow, I get the sense that Phillip was no Eric and he was through with Kay long before Jill came into the picture.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/2/2020 at 12:30 AM, jewel21 said:

use the closed caption - the have the characters name before each sentence ie  Victor: I am too sexy for my tee shirt.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:32 PM, peacheslatour said:

There was something weird about Amber. I can't put my finger on it.

She worked at the coffee shop wearing wooly fingerless gloves and wiped tables and then served coffee. In cutesy stwiped widdle gwoves. Eweeeeew

the only thing i hate worse than sweebes. (Too long sleeves hanging over fingers)

Edited by crowsworks
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4