Type keyword(s) to search

Off-Season Olympics Coverage

xaxat
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, Enero said:

As stated the WADA goes beyond the U.S. Weed is illegal in more than half the countries in the world. Are you saying the illegality of the drug extends to racism in countries other than the US?

Yes.

18 minutes ago, Enero said:

The point is the athlete using a banned substance for relaxation rather than “approved” resources ie massage, psychiatrist etc.

Yes, but WHY are those (expensive, hard to obtain) resources approved while cannabis (literally a weed) is not? 

22 minutes ago, Enero said:

Per the WADA weed is banned because:

In order for a drug to make the WADA banned list it has to 

a) it poses a health risk to athletes b) it has the potential to enhance performance and c) it violates the spirit of sport.

You cite the WADA study, but as I said, I read it and found its science suspect. Just in the portion you quoted the health risks cited--"increased risk taking, slower reaction times and poor executive function or decision making"--are all performance de-enhancing. Cannabis is not heroin or even anabolic steroids--you're not going to o.d. from it. If "slower reaction times" is the type of "risk to health" that requires banning a substance, it seems like alcohol should be put back on the banned list. 

Meanwhile, all the so-called performance enhancing qualities it cites are symptoms of a well-adjusted childhood. It's not going to physically transform you or allow you to perform superhuman feats. It might help you get through a hard-time and show up in your best frame of mind to competition, but isn't that what we want? Athletics are more impressive to watch when the athletes are in peak condition physically and mentally.

• Love 4
(edited)

I have mixed feelings about this since I don't think Weed should be illegal. However, Richardson said she knew it was illegal and still did it. They definitely need to reform the WADA rule. 

About it being a performance enhancing it really depends on what type of effect weed has on you. I'll take an edible if I have a big project to work on because it helps me concentrate but if I am just lying around it makes me sleepy. Sometimes if I have a lot of physical stuff to do like doing a project in the yard I'll smoke some weed beforehand. So again it really depends on each individual person. I prefer it over my ADHD medication. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, Enero said:

I get that for the U.S. but is that applicable to countries where it’s banned all over the world? Countries where there are very few, if any, black people? Again, my point is that the WADA is not just governed by the U.S.

image.thumb.png.1928ff692d2675bfe7d8a2b27111f0c6.png

They develop the code and everyone else enforces it. They are responsible only to themselves. 

To you second point: a) you can be racist against people other than Black people, b) you can be racist against Black people even if you don't know any. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I have mixed feelings about this since I don't think Weed should be illegal. However, Richardson said she knew it was illegal and still did it. They definitely need to reform the WADA rule. 

About it being a performance enhancing it really depends on what type of effect weed has on you. I'll take an edible if I have a big project to work on because it helps me concentrate but if I am just lying around it makes me sleepy. Sometimes if I have a lot of physical stuff to do like doing a project in the yard I'll smoke some weed beforehand. So again it really depends on each individual person. I prefer it over my ADHD medication. 

CBD oil does help soothe sore muscles for me. But still, this rule is really dumb and racist.

I read that they're going to let her run the relay. I'm glad it looks like she'll have the Olympic experience.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I find weed to be a great treatment for my medical condition as well. It can actually motivate my depressed mind by making mundane tasks more bearable. But I view it in that case as no different than my depression medicine, or even my glasses--as an accommodation for my disability (this is how I identify, not pushing that language on you). Anti-depressants and similar medications for other cognitive/mood conditions aren't banned, so I don't see why weed should be.

I am o.k. if they enforce the rule this time; she knew, and has already taken accountability. But, there is no reason to not change it going forward.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Enero said:

The rule may be considered dumb/stupid etc., but it is the rule. Richardson knew the rule and took the risk by smoking weed before a competition.

Exactly.  The rule may be considered dumb, stupid, even racist, but she knew the rule and still smoked weed before the competition.   I did like that she didn't make excuses and took responsibility.  And she's right.  She is human.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who was looking forward to seeing her compete against Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.   

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Exactly.  The rule may be considered dumb, stupid, even racist, but she knew the rule and still smoked weed before the competition.   I did like that she didn't make excuses and took responsibility.  And she's right.  She is human.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who was looking forward to seeing her compete against Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.   

I actually was thinking this might be a blessing in disguise.

Shelly Ann Fraser Pryce is still favored to win. Sha'Carri is only 21. Female sprinters tend to peak in their mid-20s. Paris is 3 years away and she'll be 24 then. She should be at her absolute peak then. 

• Useful 1
20 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I actually was thinking this might be a blessing in disguise.

Shelly Ann Fraser Pryce is still favored to win. Sha'Carri is only 21. Female sprinters tend to peak in their mid-20s. Paris is 3 years away and she'll be 24 then. She should be at her absolute peak then. 

Yeah, that's why I wrote earlier that I'm expecting her to be competing in the 2024 Olympics.  However, I'm still bummed that she won't be competing against Fraser-Pryce because I was just imagining those two flying down the track to the finish line.  Also, given her age this is probably Fraser-Pryce's last Olympics.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Yeah, that's why I wrote earlier that I'm expecting her to be competing in the 2024 Olympics.  However, I'm still bummed that she won't be competing against Fraser-Pryce because I was just imagining those two flying down the track to the finish line.  Also, given her age this is probably Fraser-Pryce's last Olympics.   

Agreed. I was actually shocked, and impressed to see that Fraser-Pryce is still competing at her age, after having a baby and still at the very top of her game and the sport.  That’s phenomenal. 

Barring any unforeseen circumstances ie injury etc., I have no doubt that Richardson will be back and not just be a competitor but one of the favorites over the next three years and of course at the 2024 games. 

• Love 1

Ha!

Is it ok for an athlete to use an opioid for pain or Xanax for anxiety?  That fact that we are still on this BS about marijuana. However Sha'Carri has handled this with a lot of grace and I hope she at least gets to race in the relay. I do think WADA and USADA need to look at reversing their antiquated views on marijuana.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Yep.   The Rule needs to be changed but right now it is still the Rule.   HUGE props to her for not pulling the "oh it must have been in something I ate, I have no idea how it got there" card.   She took responsibility for her own actions.   She didn't try to evade.   She didn't try to blame others.   She admitted she screwed up.   Don't we all at some point?

The problem )from what I understand) is, unlike say Ice Skating, where the US governing body can pretty much pick whoever they want to be on the team, T & F has really strict rules about qualifying.   They don't have a lot of room to say, "well her suspension will be up in time and we know she would have qualified if not for this issue so we will let her run anyway."

Maybe this will be the impetus for several rule changes.

• Love 6
(edited)
29 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Maybe this will be the impetus for several rule changes.

Weed may be revisited as illegal but I don’t know. TPTB at WADA would have to propose it and then it’ll be reviewed from there. Is this incident with Richardson enough for them to go there? Don’t know. I remember Phelps got suspended for three months for just being busted smoking a bong. He was never drug tested, but was still suspended. Folks were more outraged at Phelps I think than the suspension. But I wonder if the outrage would’ve turned towards the rules had it been an Olympic year and the consequence was he couldn’t compete?  But then again, that was a different time. The perception of weed has certainly changed since a few years ago, at least in the U.S. So we’ll see if the rules do eventually change.

29 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The problem )from what I understand) is, unlike say Ice Skating, where the US governing body can pretty much pick whoever they want to be on the team, T & F has really strict rules about qualifying. 

Also, unlike F&S, T&F has the Heats  for which participants have to run in to qualify for the main race. I think even if Richardson’s Olympic Trials results stood, her suspension will not be complete by the time the 100m Qualifying Heats are run. So she wouldn’t be eligible to run in the 100m Final anyway. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

unlike say Ice Skating, where the US governing body can pretty much pick whoever they want to be on the team

There are minimum scores that skaters must achieve during the season to be eligible for the Olympics. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Quof said:

There are minimum scores that skaters must achieve during the season to be eligible for the Olympics. 

True, just as track and field athletes must meet some minimum times or scores in order to be able to participate in the Olympic Trials.  However, in Figure Skating, the Olympic Team is named after nationals finishes and the committee has leeway and can select any skater they want, even ones who didn't participate in Nationals due to injury, etc.  In track and field, the trials are the one and only measure by which team members are chosen.  You don't place high enough in your race, you don't go, no matter how well you might've done all season long.  You're injured and cannot compete at trials, there is no backdoor to put you on the team.

In figure skating, Nancy Kerrigan had to withdraw from nationals after she was assaulted in 1994.  The committee put her on the Olympic team anyway and she won silver in Lillehammer.

• Love 2

So all that effort by the IOC to get around restrictions to have fans so they could declare "victory over the virus" was a joke.   Just more IOC being more about image than having a good Olympic Games.

There was reporting that testing at the borders of teams is not going well.   The Uganda team tested positive AFTER getting to the Olympic Village.   So apparently, no the athletes themselves are not all vaxxed.   In the Village they can spread it more easily.   

Honestly Richardson may be happy in the long run she didn't make the team.   

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Honestly Richardson may be happy in the long run she didn't make the team. 

That's exactly what I was thinking.  It's a blessing for her that she didn't make the team.  She's young and she'll have 2024 to look forward to. 

I really feel sorry for the athletes competing this year because they can't just focus on competing, but also trying to stay safe.  Plus, it's a bummer not having any fans in the stands.  

• Love 3
(edited)

It should be a requirement that all athletes/support staff be vaccinated and the IOC should be the ones to pay for it and make sure everyone is fully vaccinated before the games start.

And if you choose not to be vaccinated, you can't go.  Harsh, I know.  But it's a good way to prevent more deaths.

Prepares to duck tomatoes

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 19

17 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

It should be a requirement that all athletes/support staff be vaccinated and the IOC should be the ones to pay for it and make sure everyone is fully vaccinated before the games start.

I think it's pretty much too late if an athlete isn't vaccinated at this point (assuming they are getting the two shot Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, not the one shot Johnson and Johnson). They would have to get their first shot today or tomorrow, then the second shot the day the Olympics started. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It's going to be really sad and strange watching the Opening Ceremony with no fans.   

I know for some of the "older" athletes this is their last hurrah, and that's too bad, but these games really should have been canceled.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

think it's pretty much too late if an athlete isn't vaccinated at this point

You are 100% right.  

I was thinking along the lines of "Why didn't the IOC do this?" instead of what they have, or haven't, done.  Let's you and I run the IOC- I bet we'd be great at it.  :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

It's going to be really sad and strange watching the Opening Ceremony with no fans.   

I know for some of the "older" athletes this is their last hurrah, and that's too bad, but these games really should have been canceled.  

I think I read somewhere it is too late to be cancelled. Which is probably true, because of the amount of money already spent to the venders and buildings. 

I hope most of the athletes are vaccinated and if not will get the Johnson & Johnson one to be by the start of it. 

2 hours ago, blueray said:

I think I read somewhere it is too late to be cancelled. Which is probably true, because of the amount of money already spent to the venders and buildings. 

I hope most of the athletes are vaccinated and if not will get the Johnson & Johnson one to be by the start of it. 

Yes, I know it's too late now, which is why I wrote "should have been" canceled.

• Love 1
On 7/8/2021 at 12:56 PM, andromeda331 said:

This is going to be such a disaster. So many people are going to get sick and who knows how many may die all so the IOC can get their money. Yeah, that's a great image for the Olympics. 

I’m hoping it’s not a disaster…but yeah. The Olympics has a history of the flu breaking out in the athletes village which means a Covid outbreak is a given, especially if most athletes are not vaccinated. It could potentially not be bad though since these athletes are young and presumably extremely healthy with no underlying health conditions. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Enero said:

I’m hoping it’s not a disaster…but yeah. The Olympics has a history of the flu breaking out in the athletes village which means a Covid outbreak is a given, especially if most athletes are not vaccinated. It could potentially not be bad though since these athletes are young and presumably extremely healthy with no underlying health conditions. 

I hope your right.

My concern with holding the Games this year stems from the fact that Japan will have to divert resources as a host while the country is facing a potential covid spike.  

As for the Games themselves, I think they will be fine. Last winter, the NCAA managed to pull off the men's and women's basketball seasons and the football season despite the fact that covid rates were far higher and there was no vaccine available yet. 

At the Olympics, there will be positive test. Athletes will be sidelined because of contact tracing. And in the end, there will be forfeits because of that. But much like the NCAA, I think the results will be the most memorable thing, along with the acknowledgement that the Games occurred during a once in a century pandemic.

The Washington Post has a good article on the precautions the US team is taking leading up to the Games.

To negotiate an Olympics in a pandemic, Team USA needed a plan and then several more

(Typed as noted antivaxxer Novak Djokovic wins Wimbledon in a packed Centre Court) 

On 7/2/2021 at 7:10 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Weed being illegal is definitely a racist thing. The Rockefeller drug laws targeted drugs that were perceived as "black" like weed and crack cocaine.

So I guess malt liquor and menthols are also racist then.

(edited)
4 hours ago, morriss said:

So I guess malt liquor and menthols are also racist then.

Hmm, interesting choices, but yes, the marketing of those products was. From the CDC.

The tobacco industry has aggressively marketed menthol products to young people and African Americans, especially in urban communities.13 Historically, the tobacco industry’s attempts to maintain a positive image among African Americans have included such efforts as supporting cultural events and making contributions to minority higher education institutions, elected officials, civic and community organizations, and scholarship programs.3

Tobacco companies have historically placed larger amounts of advertising in African American publications, exposing African Americans to more cigarette ads than Whites.3

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:
16 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

God, he's the worst.  The WORST.

Really? Worse than Brundage?

Well, I was obviously being rhetorical, but since you asked: Brundage was an awful racist and antisemite under whose leadership the Munich massacre occurred, but who inadvertently facilitated one of the greatest Olympics moment by forcing the US to participate in the Berlin Games where Jesse Owens shoved all of Hitler's superior race bullshit in his face for all the world to see.  HOWEVER, he never forced the Olympics to happen in the middle of a global pandemic that's killed over four million people because he and the committee for which he is the president are corrupt, money-hungry grifters, so it's a tough call on which of the two of them is the actual worst.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

No hugs or handshakes at the medal ceremonies and the athletes will get their medals from a tray

And athletes will apparently have to put their medals on themselves. I can't decide if this is sad or hilarious. I can imagine some of the athletes with fun personalities making a big deal out of presenting the medal to themselves. 

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, emma675 said:

And athletes will apparently have to put their medals on themselves. I can't decide if this is sad or hilarious. I can imagine some of the athletes with fun personalities making a big deal out of presenting the medal to themselves. 

I agree that is either going to be kind of lame or funny. I think it depends on the person. But most will have fun with that.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

No hugs or handshakes at the medal ceremonies and the athletes will get their medals from a tray

I saw that during a gymnastics event; there were a few pairs/groups where teammates put the medal around each other’s neck.  That looked a little less “sterile”(?).  

• Love 2

I was watching a pre-Olympics track and field show today, and Gabby Thomas was in a commercial for some sport drink.  I thought about Sha'carri Richardson and how she really effed up because I'm pretty sure she would be doing commercials right now.

• Love 3

They haven’t announced who the Gymnast is yet. But it sucks for whomever it is. This is going to be a tougher Olympics than usual for athletes. Trying to stay focused on their respective sport while worrying about Covid. As others have said they should’ve just cancelled and just planned for the next summer Olympics in 2024. But of course history has shown money is always more important than the safety of human lives. 

U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Team Member Tests Positive for COVID

• Love 2

They announced its an alternate.   So that narrows it down.    But this is sooo just the beginning.   If US athletes are testing positive, what is going on with athletes from countries that have had issues with the vaccine rollout?    

This was such a bad idea.    And to announce that it was also going to be considered a victory over Covid was literally asking for this to happen.  How many people will have to get sick or even die just so the IOC can get their $$$$ and say they didn't cancel the Olympics over "the flu."

• Love 8

With the South African soccer players who've tested positive inside the athletes' village and Eaker, this is really just the beginning.  It seems inevitable that COVID will spread like wildfire through the village and athletes, but the IOC will get its money, so...

giphy.gif

Grifting thieves, the lot of them.

• Love 3

Women’s Handball Players Are Fined for Rejecting Bikini Uniforms

The International Handball Federation requires women to wear bikini bottoms “with a close fit and cut on an upward angle toward the top of the leg.” The sides of the bikini bottoms must be no more than four inches. Men, on the other hand, can wear shorts as long as four inches above their knees as long as they are “not too baggy.”

Sexist double standard much?

Doesn't the same rule apply in beach volleyball?