Type keyword(s) to search

Off-Season Olympics Coverage

xaxat
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Also I would like to put out there that vaccinated does not mean "can't get it."   It just means you won't DIE ifyou do.   But long covid is real and in younger people is associated with myocarditis (sp?).   All of which could mean the end of someone's career and possible lifelong disability.   Why?   So we can sit safely in our homes and watch a competition?   Not worth it to me.

This then, would be an argument for never having the Olympics again ever as we now know the Covid is going to be with us for the foreseeable future (thus the projected need for booster shots this coming fall/winter). Or any large sporting competition, or any large event involving lots of people. Just something to contemplate...or not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Also I would like to put out there that vaccinated does not mean "can't get it."   It just means you won't DIE ifyou do.   But long covid is real and in younger people is associated with myocarditis (sp?).   All of which could mean the end of someone's career and possible lifelong disability.   Why?   So we can sit safely in our homes and watch a competition?   Not worth it to me.

Let's remember that many sports competitions themselves involve injuries and lifelong disabilities.  And without the Olympics, many athletes won't have the publicity that leads to lucrative endorsements, speaking engagements and Wheaties boxes.  And for athletes from poor countries, winning an Olympic medal means economic security for themselves and their families.

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 6

Last week The Athletic (sub. req.) had a good summary of where things stand.

For me the big takeaway is the refusal of the IOC to recognize the uncertainties that the pandemic presents not only alienates them from the host country and their medical authorities, it has resulted in a hubris that has also made them sloppy in their implementation of protocols to ensure the safety of the participants and the people of Japan. 

For example, you want to have sex? The IOC has hundreds of thousands of free condoms available. You want a facemask? Participants are on their own.

51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

And FloJo's records should all have a big asterisk next to them anyway.

Hey, I wasn't going to say it. But records that last that long are all suspicious (Except Beamon's, which was altitude, not PEDs)

• Love 3
12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'm already tired of Sha'Carri. 

When I first saw her I thought she was kinda cute and refreshing, I tried to ignore the hair and nails, and last night I felt sorry for her when she revealed that her mother died last week. 

However, I am sick and tired of her now and I hope and pray that Shelly Ann Frasier-Pryce or someone else leaves her arrogant little butt in the dust.  

2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

She said it was her "bio mom" which implied that she was raised by someone else. Maybe her grandma who she ran into the stands to hug?

Yes, I also got the impression she was raised by someone else.  The woman she hugged looked like she might be her grandma, given how old she looked. 

7 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

However, I am sick and tired of her now and I hope and pray that Shelly Ann Frasier-Pryce or someone else leaves her arrogant little butt in the dust.  

"It's not bragging if you can back it up." Muhammad Ali.

And while she might not win the gold, no one is going to leave her in the dust.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, xaxat said:

"It's not bragging if you can back it up." Muhammad Ali.

And while she might not win the gold, no one is going to leave her in the dust.

Hey, I understand bragging to pump yourself up.  A lot of people might think she's a cute little 5ft. 1" fireball right now, but that could get old, fast.  (And she really doesn't need the Flo Jo nails, just develop her own style.)

We'll see if she can back it up.  

• Love 2

I found the interview at the end of the race cute (and kind of funny). So the top two finishers (Alison and forgot the other one's name) are sitting their with the kids and it's really cute. Then the interviewer comes over and interviews them. But the funny (kind of awkward) part was then they interviewed the girl that came in third. It's like "oh yeah you qualified too. Where is your kid? "

• Love 2
On 6/19/2021 at 11:07 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

I'm already tired of Sha'Carri. 

I don't know if I'm tired of her (I haven't been watching the trials), but I'm certainly tired of NBC's coverage of her and pretty much everyone else on their Olympics Instagram page. They take every nice moment and beat it into the ground with multiple consecutive posts (some of which use the same footage). I mean, I love Allyson Felix, she's my favorite T&F athlete ever, but even I was rolling my eyes after the fifth post showing her and her daughter.

It's only going to get worse during the actual Olympics, so I'll probably be unfollowing that particular account while the games are going on. The TV /streaming coverage will be dead-horse-beating, too, but at least that's easily isolated, as opposed to being endlessly distributed throughout my feed.

I'm not on social media, but I'm already dreading NBC constantly showing Simone Biles flipping around in that commercial she does with the other guy.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure they'll be showing that scene of Allyson Felix standing at the microphone with a message to her daughter. 🙄

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The Simone Biles livestream cam will be unbearable especially when we see other routines happening in the background. 

"Simone, the GOAT, taping her ankles to get ready for the beam ..."

I'm sure this is true, since at the last Olympics, as a swimming race was about to begin and the athletes were lining up, they did a split-screen showing Phelps just sitting there listening to music on his headphones. And not just for a few seconds, either.

Edited by tracyscott76
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Lewis Johnson in those shorts. 😲

He should have entered the Mr. Chicken Leg contest on SNL.

Let's award medals for chicken legs.

Bronze:

Trayvon Bromell doesn't have the classic sprinter physique of huge, bulging legs. His legs are surprisingly spindly for a sprinter.

TFront-FTW2.jpg

Silver:

The beautiful Allyson Felix also does not have the FloJo thighs which makes her legs look chicken in a field of big thighs:

20track-trials-hfo-felix1-superJumbo.jpg

Gold:

LIFETIME APPOINTMENT ALERT. Kevin Durant has the gold on lock as long as he roams the earth. They always say athletes are "built different" but with KD it's actually true, as he was built with no torso, no muscle mass, and so all you see are a pair of ridiculously long, skinny arms and legs. Those legs which look like they'll snap in half from the smallest contact have led him to 14 years in the NBA, two championships and his third Olympics.

Kevin-Durant-210610-1024x683.jpg

1293480903.0.jpg

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • LOL 4

This does not sound like the best idea.

Japan to allow up to 10,000 domestic spectators at Olympic venues despite covid concerns

In the end, though, organizers decided to overrule that advice. Japan and the International Olympic Committee are keen to showcase the Games as a symbol of humankind’s “victory” over the pandemic, an argument that would have been harder to make in empty venues.

Seriously? Pretty sure no medical expert has declared victory.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

What's the deal with vaccinations in Japan? You'd think they would be better. 

They actually are doing it at a clip of 1 mil per day now. It's just like a lot of countries without their own homegrown vaccines the initial phase was very slow. 

• Love 1

You'd think the Japanese could have had a "homegrown" vaccine. Especially knowing that they were hosting this huge international event that had already been postponed once. 

Even without the Olympics, I am surprised at their slow response time. As a culture, they made mask wearing vogue long before covid. 

• Love 4

SO many false starts in the Track and Field races today.  Fix your starting blocks, Heyward!  How annoying that must have been for the athletes.  

If I were the guy who was thrown out of the 110 hurdles after the FIFTH false start, I would be very upset.  

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

SO many false starts in the Track and Field races today.  Fix your starting blocks, Heyward!  How annoying that must have been for the athletes.  

If I were the guy who was thrown out of the 110 hurdles after the FIFTH false start, I would be very upset.  

That was just ridiculous. I think it was 5 "false starts" in the 110 hurdles and 3 in the women's 400 hurdles. 

• Love 3

It was absolutely ridiculous @emmawoodhouse.  I may have yelled at my screen once or twice.

I'm getting a bit tired of the incessant coverage of Allyson Felix, much as I love her.  However, I must admit, I love her husband's shirt.  ("My wife is faster than you.")  Also, little Camryn is adorable.

Jenna Prandini is a beast. I hope Raevyn Rogers brings it this weekend.  I'm also very impressed with Matt Centrowitz's savvy.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, SophiaD said:

I thought the whole field got 1 free FS,and any more resulted in expulsion 

13 hours ago, ketchuplover said:

I thought the whole field got 1 free FS,and any more resulted in expulsion 

Nope. The blocks appeared to be TOO sensitive. No one got bounced from the women's race. Someone did get ejected after the fifth call back in the men's race.

(edited)

I just love Ato Boldon and Sanya Richards-Ross as commentators for track and field.  They are enthusiastic, interesting and knowledgeable.  And just fun to listen to..

I also don't mind the excessive coverage of some athletes esp. for track and field.  These athletes do the circuit -- indoor, outdoor, Europeans, worlds etc. -- all year long every year and the only time they get any real glow up is during the Olympics.  It is like they disappear for four 1/2 years (unless you follow T&F) and then reappear as if people remember they exist during Olympics season.  So I cant get too mad at it. 

I especially love watching women's track and field, esp the black US athletes.  The NCAA championships are super fun and some of the world events.  But the run up to Olympics is a blast because they understand that this is their opportunity to show their face to the world and the face beat is usually top tier.  I love seeing the hair, nails, tats and eyelashes.  One of my recent favorites was Queen Harrison.  Man, she was always fierce and gave good face.  But I don't think she made the team this year.  My husband likes Inika McPherson.  But she is a little too extreme for my taste.  LOL. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 7