Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

Actually, there have been paparazzi shots of her in tights recently where I go "Where did THAT come from?" I think she's been working out for that movie where she plays tennis champ Billie Jean King.

emma_stone__gas_station_in_malibu_march_

And I am ebullient in my appreciation of her hard work. I've had a big crush on her for years, and I too was disappointed with how thin she had gotten. I remember her talking on the Easy A DVD commentary about how she never went to the gym, but I thought she looked fantastic in that movie. Then she seemed to couple not going to the gym with barely eating, and it wasn't a good look. She looks absolutely great now.

My mom would TOTALLY be on board with Armie Hammer being a movie star.  I think she even liked The Lone Ranger.  He was great in The Social Network.  I never got around to seeing J. Edgar!  (Should I?)

So weird to think of him as Gabriel from Gossip Girl.  LOL.  I do not remember him being good in that role... 

I am loving all of the Sean Young updates.  This really brings me back to a nice nostalgic chunk of my childhood.

J Edgar is ok.  Not one of Clint Eastwood's best but the performances are good.  Armie is ok, the only interesting thing is the gay subtext of his relationship with Leo's J Edgar.

• Love 1

Molly Ringwald's adult role in "The Pick-up Artist" opposite Robert Downing Jr. in a very non John Hughes persona was very good. She wasn't Meryl Streep but I think she was a competent enough actress with some appeal beyond her teens; I think part of the problem was that she was a female teenage star icon, like say, Wynona Ryder, and by the early 30's HW doesn't quite know what to do with actresses in that mold. Whereas Male actors can really get going in their careers in their mid thirties...

Apparently her agent or mother turned down "Blue Velvet" which she was offered first. Now that would have been interesting...

Didn't Molly also turn down Pretty Woman, too?

Allegedly yes. I think Sandra Bullock was also offered Pretty Woman and turned it down. Molly reportedly turned down Ghost as well.

• Love 1

Although I'm pretty sure the version of Pretty Woman she was offered is the one where Vivian is a drug addict, and Richard Gere's character just drops her off after he's done with her, not the version that became what it is today.

I do think Ghost probably would have worked with just about anybody, although Molly might not have had the kind of chemistry Demi had with Patrick Swayze. It's really hard to say, though.

• Love 4

Allegedly yes. I think Sandra Bullock was also offered Pretty Woman and turned it down. Molly reportedly turned down Ghost as well.

I had no clue she was offered Ghost, too.  This makes me think about how John Travolta turned down both American Gigolo and Chicago and Richard Gere ended up with those parts.

I have never heard of Sandra Bullock being offered Ghost, either.   Her break through in movies was still a couple of years away, first in Demolition Man(93) and then of course the next year in Speed that shot her to movie super stardom.  If she was offered Ghost, I have no idea why she wouldn't have jumped at it in 89/90.

Edited by vb68

I have never heard of Sandra Bullock being offered Ghost, either.   Her break through in movies was still a couple of years away, first in Demolition Man(93) and then of course the next year in Speed that shot her to movie super stardom.  If she was offered Ghost, I have no idea why she wouldn't have jumped at it in 89/90.

I think the report or rumour Bullock was offered or auditioned for Pretty Woman. Basically, half of the women under 30 in Hollywood at time were  offered that role: Michelle Pfeiffer, Molly Ringwald, Meg Ryan, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Karen Allen, and Daryl Hannah. Winona Ryder and Jennifer Connelly were considered and dismissed for being too young. Most likely, Bullock may have auditioned and was found too young. I think Roberts was the last ditch effort for Marshall and Disney.

I was watching the first Alvin and the Chipmunk movie and it reminded me that I really wish Jason Lee had become a bigger star. I mean he was always a standout in the Kevin Smith movies he was in (he basically carried Mallrats), he had a great supporting role in Almost Famous and I loved My Name is Earl. I really wish he could have done something big after that since even in the Chipmunk movies he still does really good with what he has to work with. Not sure what stopped him from being a bigger comedic star.

• Love 1

I really like Jason Lee too. He was supposed to star in that Fletch reboot that never came to fruition, and I think that could have been his breakout role. I do wonder if Scientology played a role in his stalled career, since they don't seem to have as much clout in Hollywood as they used to, and their reputation has been only getting worse in recent years. 

• Love 2

Well, Mallrats 2 is coming out soon!  I do remember thinking that his first wife's article about him, and by extension scientology, didn't help him much - as I recall, in addition to his strong ties to scientology, she said he was physically abusive to her as well.  I think all three of his wives eventually divorced him because of scientology, so I think he's pretty deep in - Kevin Smith said that while Jason Lee never pushed scientology on him, he eventually had to tell him [Lee] to stop talking about it so much.  

• Love 1

That's too bad.  Giovanni Ribisi is also a Scientologist, and he's so talented and I really like him.  

I understood Laura Prepon and the Masterson brothers to be Scientologists, and Laura has OINTB now and Danny has that Netflix series.  Then again, they will never have the careers of Mila/Ashton, though there are other reasons for that besides Scientology.

Tom Cruise has a great career for a Scientologist ;)  Travolta's is pretty good for someone who's face is so messed up.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I think it was Ribisi or his family that introduced Lee to Scientology. I remember the Fletch rumours. I think he could have gotten a lot of the charming smartass roles that Ryan Reynolds got over the years.

Is Mallrats 2 actually coming out or is it just Kevin Smith rambling?

• Love 1

One thing about SB that I find funny is that she starred in the TV version of Working Girl, in Melanie Griffith's part--and of course, Sandy would eventually become an even bigger movie star herself!

That show actually aired in 1990, the same year Ghost and Pretty Woman came out.

Before Speed Sandra was also in the American version of The Vanishing as Kiefer Sutherland's missing girlfriend. It was a small role and she ended up being a bigger star than the leading lady Nancy Travis. Years later Travis would play the wife in the cable sitcom The Bill Engvall Show where Jennifer Lawrence played the daughter before her big break in Winter's Bone.

Edited by VCRTracking

Man, it's gotta suck being Nancy Travis: you bust your butt trying to get ahead in the business, you do more or less okay, but then these little upstarts zoom way, way, way ahead of you while you're stuck playing love interests to lame-asses like Ted Danson, Bill Engvall, and Mike Myers (though So I Married an Ax Murderer does have its defenders).

• Love 2

Man, it's gotta suck being Nancy Travis: you bust your butt trying to get ahead in the business, you do more or less okay, but then these little upstarts zoom way, way, way ahead of you while you're stuck playing love interests to lame-asses like Ted Danson, Bill Engvall, and Mike Myers (though So I Married an Ax Murderer does have its defenders).

She got to marry Tom Selleck in Three Men and a Little Lady, though. So don't feel TOO bad for her. ;)

• Love 1

I remember Sandra Bullock as the young teen, I think? who got the new and Brand NEW FANGLED! Bionic Legs in the last Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman movie where Steve and Jaime Somers finally got married!

Believe it or not, the Bionic wedding drama got stretched into a third tv movie where it finally happened, but I do vividly remember Sandra getting her tryout as the next gen bionic woman.  That was the first time I ever saw her. 

• Love 2

I had no clue she was offered Ghost, too.  This makes me think about how John Travolta turned down both American Gigolo and Chicago and Richard Gere ended up with those parts.

To be fair to Travolta, the version of Chicago that he turned down was not the same screenplay that Richard Gere eventually did.  It is the same movie, but the script and concept went through a complete overhaul after he turned it down. 

According to IMDB, Foster has four projects right now, two in post-production, one just announced and another completed. The completed film is called Warcraft, which seems to be a swords-and-sorcery type thing, co-starring Paula Patton and Travis Fimmel. I haven't seen any trailers yet, but its due out on the tenth of June.

Had no idea that Ben Foster was in Warcraft.  Seems like an odd choice for him.  Warcraft has two trailers out.  It is a videogame adaptation.

Ben still has the Lance Armstrong bio pic.  I'm still not sure what is going on with that one.  I believe it was released overseas but not in the U.S. officially?  Or it may have premiered at a few festivals and is coming out soon.

Either way Ben is definitely still working and in demand.

Had no idea that Ben Foster was in Warcraft.  Seems like an odd choice for him.  Warcraft has two trailers out.  It is a videogame adaptation.

Ben still has the Lance Armstrong bio pic.  I'm still not sure what is going on with that one.  I believe it was released overseas but not in the U.S. officially?  Or it may have premiered at a few festivals and is coming out soon.

The Program, the Armstrong biopic, was released overseas and on the festival circuit last autumn. It was also released for DirecTV rental and limited theatre release last month. I've read mixed to negative things about the movie. I think the acting seems to be the only thing decent about it.

Hopefully Warcraft does better this summer, but given the competition this summer and the relatively low buzz for it, I'm not sure.

• Love 1

I always thought Ben Foster was what Ryan Gosling would have been if Ryan hadn't turned out leading man hot and gotten the big movie role that forever cemented him as a romantic lead, but more along the lines of pleasant-looking character actor.

I think part of the problem was that she was a female teenage star icon, like say, Wynona Ryder, and by the early 30's HW doesn't quite know what to do with actresses in that mold. Whereas Male actors can really get going in their careers in their mid thirties...

Julia Stiles also fits that mold. It's sad- by her early 30's, she was resorting to starring on YouTube series and dumb t.v. movies. She was definitely one of my favorite teen queens.

Is Julia Stiles in the next Bourne film?  I assumed she probably was, but I don't actually know.

Yes, she is.  She is featured heavily in the trailer.  They are continuing the tradition of making her part bigger with each subsequent movie.  The trailer implies that she is more of a co-star in this one, which I can't wait.  Glad to see her have a little resurgence with her career.

Yes, she is. She is featured heavily in the trailer. They are continuing the tradition of making her part bigger with each subsequent movie. The trailer implies that she is more of a co-star in this one, which I can't wait. Glad to see her have a little resurgence with her career.

It's honestly one of the things I'm looking forward to most. She appears to really get in on the action too and I love Julia Stiles so very happy about that.

Also looking forward to Alicia Vikander.

• Love 2

I think Julia Stiles's career was not helped when she took the break to study at Columbia. That does slow most young actress' careers. I do like her and I love the Bourne movies though I did not like how they retconned her relationship with Damon's character. Hopefully, Stiles could find a TV role, bonus if it's a award winning show, since that's where most former teen and child stars have been able to keep working.

I adore Alicia Vikander and I can't wait to see more of her too.

Julia Stiles did the break thing, and she also the problem of having a babyface until her early 30's. It was hard to take her seriously as a grown woman in The Omen remake. Here's a really funny comment from IMDB about her in that role:

Julia Stiles as Satan's mom! How about Satan's baby-sitter? She looks about sweet sixteen all the way through this turkey, and when she tries to show fragile and delicate emotions of terror she just looks sulky, like a grounded prom queen. ("I have to baby sit the devil's spawn again?") She really has strong sexual chemistry with Liev Schrieber, but it's the wrong kind of chemistry. Not so much, "darling, I can't go on," but more like, "Gee, Mr. Schreiber, I'll do anything to pass Senior Physics. I mean um, anything!" She's a luscious Lolita but a laughable leading lady.

That still makes me laugh. But yeah, it wasn't until Silver Linings Playbook that I was like, "Okay, NOW I can buy you as a grown-up."

It's weird how that works sometimes. In Jennifer Lawrence's case, her babyface basically worked because it got her the Hunger Games, and she got with a film director who found her so mature in terms of on-screen presence that he saw no problem with casting her in parts she was a good decade or two too young for. But it also helped that her big teen role WASN'T playing a regular girl in high school.

In Julia's case(like Molly), she has to fight against the crystalized image of her as a lovesick 17-year old crying over her love interest and other assorted high school angst.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Julia Stiles did the break thing, and she also the problem of having a babyface until her early 30's. It was hard to take her seriously as a grown woman in The Omen remake. Here's a really funny comment from IMDB about her in that role:

Julia Stiles as Satan's mom! How about Satan's baby-sitter? She looks about sweet sixteen all the way through this turkey, and when she tries to show fragile and delicate emotions of terror she just looks sulky, like a grounded prom queen. ("I have to baby sit the devil's spawn again?") She really has strong sexual chemistry with Liev Schrieber, but it's the wrong kind of chemistry. Not so much, "darling, I can't go on," but more like, "Gee, Mr. Schreiber, I'll do anything to pass Senior Physics. I mean um, anything!" She's a luscious Lolita but a laughable leading lady.

That still makes me laugh. But yeah, it wasn't until Silver Linings Playbook that I was like, "Okay, NOW I can buy you as a grown-up."

FWIW, I checked IMDB, and when Lee Remick played Katherine Thorn in 1976, she was forty-one years old, as opposed to Stiles' twenty-five. Remick would have been much too old for the role today, gravitas or no gravitas.

Also, I thought I was losing my mind for a second, because I thought Stiles was in the remake of Rosemary's Baby, not The Omen.

Ensemble action/science fiction pieces don't usually turn people into serious stars. It keeps them working, but unless you're Rocky or Bruce in Die Hard, you won't become A-list just through being part of an ensemble in an action/sci-fi movie.

More recent example- Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemswoth, and Sam Claflin in the Hunger Games. The only real star that was made by that series was Jennifer Lawrence, as she was the star. The supporting young male actors in it haven't really taken off just yet.

Although if Sam Claflin's Me Before You doesn't turn him into a romantic leading man (it doesn't even need to be a huge hit- he just needs to rock it), then nothing will.

• Love 1
(edited)

And the "Margot Robbie is lying about her age/no she's not" train rides again...

We Can Prove Margot Robbie is Not Lying About Her Age

After All That, Margot Is Definitely 25

Honestly, if she's class of 2007, she just shaved a year at most off, not five like we thought. And a summer 1990 birthdate doesn't sound THAT off for class of 2007, especially if Australia does school differently or she didn't attend whatever the equivalent to kindergarten is. There are always outliers for people who don't fit the general 1988-1989 birth year profile for the class of '07.

They also raised a good point about why would a 22-year old pretend to be 16. If they were going to lie about their age, it'd make more sense to say you were 18-19 because then you don't have to deal with minor laws.

I gotta hand it to her. Even if she did shave her age, it can't be more than about a year, unless Margot somehow flunked school like four or five times. Gentle shaving (like Rachel McAdams) just works better, because then you don't have the embarrassment of people whipping out pictures of you being in high school in the late 90's when you shouldn't have been more than like 8 or 9 then. You keep yourself in the same general cohort group, just a little younger.

Edited by methodwriter85

She's probably just one of those people who look mature in their twenties, I'm friends with a girl who could also pass for 30 and her older sister was same way. The sister is 35 now and still looks exactly like that so I think Margot will be fine. It might even work in her favor tht she looks older already and will likely keep that look for a long time.

• Love 2

My family travelled around when I was younger. When we finally settled down, I got put in the year below my age. And in HS, I knew someone who looked older than he was. We always got him to buy the booze. So these things happen.

11 hours ago, KatWay said:

She's probably just one of those people who look mature in their twenties, I'm friends with a girl who could also pass for 30 and her older sister was same way. The sister is 35 now and still looks exactly like that so I think Margot will be fine. It might even work in her favor tht she looks older already and will likely keep that look for a long time.

I don't really think she looks overly mature, although I also never actually thought about it before. IMO, she looks a little like Emma Stone due to the large eyes and smallish jaw, and if Margot truly is twenty-five, then Emma's two years older. If her IMDB page is correct, Robbie was born on July the second in 1990, which would make her nearly twenty-six, so at best it'd just be a slight difference.

I can't make up my mind which irritates me more: that people actually care that much if Margot Robbie is- HORRORS!- 30 instead of 25, or the fact that actresses feel the need to lie about their age at all (not saying Robbie is, I'm just saying others have). 

Robbie has locked into a franchise with more than a little potential, and as the much loved Harley Quinn, no less. I'm sure she'll have a decent career.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I can't make up my mind which irritates me more: that people actually care that much if Margot Robbie is- HORRORS!- 30 instead of 25, or the fact that actresses feel the need to lie about their age at all (not saying Robbie is, I'm just saying others have). 

Robbie has locked into a franchise with more than a little potential, and as the much loved Harley Quinn, no less. I'm sure she'll have a decent career.

Some actresses I remember shaving significant years off their age: Meredith Monroe from Dawson's Creek (1975 from 1969), Linda Cardinelli (1980 from 1975), and Liza Weil (claimed to have been born in 1980, really born in 1977.) Then there's Rachel McAdams, who may or may not have taken two years off her age. I remember when she first came up, her birthdate was 1976, and then it somehow became 1978. There's footage of her from 1992, where she looks more like a 16-year old than 14, but again, that's gentle age shaving for you- you can't really go, "Oh, they HAVE to be lying."

Although it's not like men don't do it, too. The guy who played Jasper in Twilight, Jackson Rathbone, I could have sworn had a 1982 birthdate, then it became 1983, and finally settled on 1984.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I remember when she first came up, her birthdate was 1976, and then it somehow became 1978.

I remember being shocked when I first looked her up after Mean Girls and saw she was born in 1976, and then suddenly it was 1978. She's got amazing genes, because she could still probably pass for 20's.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Although it's not like men don't do it, too

There are definitely some actors who have stayed vaguely-28 for a really long time. Of course Armie Hammer has looked vaguely-28 for a decade now. I'd call him the male Margot Robbie in that regard. When she was on that Pan Am show, I figured she was Christina Ricci's age, she's just got a mature face.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

With Margot, though, I don't think people would've been upset or written her off as being over the hill, if she was really 30 now. If anything, it's probably the opposite, where the idea that she'd shaved 5-6 years off her age seemed more likely, than the fact that she's actually younger than, say, Emma Watson.

For what, it's worth this HuffPost slideshow (it's a few years old) includes male stars who've purportedly lied about their ages at some point in their careers, though they're in the music industry more than acting.

In other news, Shia LaBeouf is set to play John McEnroe in a biopic about the rivalry with Bjorn Borg. It will be interesting to see how much he's able to rehab his image and career after all of his bad behavior, odd performance art and burning a big bridge with Spielberg.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2
(edited)

Armie Hammer is definitely one of those guys who always looked old. Check him out when he was about 20 or so.

Unfortunately for him, if he wanted to shave his age, his family's prominence would make it pretty hard for him to do so. They've been in the tabloids since the 1980's at least.

As for Margot Robbie, 30 or 25, she's definitely the real deal when it comes to having the "It" factor, whatever that is. Her future's pretty bright, especially if Suicide Squad takes off the way everyone's thinking it will.

The funny thing is, if she had really been born on July 2nd, 1985 instead of 1990, she would be exactly the same age as Ashley Tisdale, who was just never quite able to break out of the teen mode. Which again, makes me wonder- what exactly does "30" look like, and how different is it actually going to be from "25"?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Armie Hammer is definitely one of those guys who always looked old. Check him out when he was about 20 or so.

Unfortunately for him, if he wanted to shave his age, his family's prominence would make it pretty hard for him to do so. They've been in the tabloids since the 1980's at least.

As for Margot Robbie, 30 or 25, she's definitely the real deal when it comes to having the "It" factor, whatever that is. Her future's pretty bright, especially if Suicide Squad takes off the way everyone's thinking it will.

The funny thing is, if she had really been born on July 2nd, 1985 instead of 1990, she would be exactly the same age as Ashley Tisdale, who was just never quite able to break out of the teen mode. Which again, makes me wonder- what exactly does "30" look like, and how different is it actually going to be from "25"?

Ashley Tisdale is 30? I guess High School Musical was ten years ago. Being launched from a Disney phenomenon probably doesn't help with breaking past the teen image. It's not impossible, but long-lasting movie stardom/critical acclaim simply isn't in the cards for everyone who tries their hand at fame.  As for what 30—or any age—looks like, it's subjective, of course, but probably more of a "you know it when you see it" thing, rather than some set list where a person who's this or that age MUST have this many crow's feet or that many laugh lines, or is clearly using cosmetic help. Speaking of HSM, I just remember thinking of Monique Coleman as an obvious Gabrielle Carteris situation, and in looking it up, it turns out that she's five years older than Ashley, and Zac/Vanessa/Corbin are even younger, so the gulf between some of the high school students ended up being quite large.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1
On 19/05/2016 at 7:21 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

The fixation on her age does more to highlight the screwed up priorities of Hollywood than anything else, really. The idea that her having lied to take five years off seems... unsurprising to people says a lot about how producers view women.

Havingsaid that, it seems far more likely to me that this is a case of one article getting her age wrong, years ago, then being used as 'proof' of her lie. She seems to have handled it well, though, so good for her.

She's also the only part of Suicide Squad that looks at all worth my time. 

• Love 2

What made Margot Robbie a great choice for the role in Wolf of Wall Street is while she's young she didn't look too young where it looked wrong that Leonardo DiCaprio played her husband. When she nicknames her "Duchess" she has the maturity(if not the background) where the nickname isn't that ironic. Some women that age don't have that.  Alexis Bledel who just had her first baby is 34, and is older than when Lauren Graham first played her mother on Gilmore Girls. Yet she still looks(and sounds) too immature than Lauren was back then. She's still a "girl". Another thing that Robbie stand out at the time was whatever her real age she was new. We hadn't seen her in small parts in shows and movies in America. She had done that short lived Pan Am series that I don't think anybody watched and she had been working in Australia for most of her career. She didn't come out of nowhere but she seemed to for American audiences. It made that scene where she first appears at a party more effective when Jordan and his friends see her and goes "Who is THAT?" than somebody known.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was thinking to myself that what Margot Robbie really has going for is this "mature sexuality". Like she can play the believable siren.

Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone have both tried to play those kind of roles, but they look like little girls playing dress-up when they try. They're always been more "cute-pretty" than the sexy vixen type- which is why they've both seen as kind of the American Sweetheart.

Margot is filling a niche that hasn't really been filled since Angelina Jolie or Catherine Zeta Jones as the sexy, young but not girlish bombshell that can act.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3