Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

The movie itself was on the cheaper side- 40 million. Even if they spent another 40 million on advertising, it would still only need to make around 80 million domestic to recoup their costs. Conservative estimates have them making at least 50 million this weekend.

That's allegedly the reason why Charlie Hunnam dropped out- he wasn't getting paid enough.

I've liked Dakota Johnson ever since her little bit as the Stanford one-night stand in the Social Network, carried through her bits in Beastly and 21 Jump Street, so I'm glad to see she's getting singled out for being able to bring life to Anastacia Steele. As someone who read the books, believe me...that was no easy task to make Ana feel like a real person.

Edited by methodwriter85

Are we sure there will be two more of these movies? Unless it pulls in Marvel superhero movie money I don't see how they'll be able to recoup the advertising budget - I literally cannot turn on my television or open a magazine without seeing something about it.

Fifty Shades of Grey is estimated to be on track for a $234 million dollar global box office opening, with $60-$80 million in domestic alone. Even if falls off like 80 percent next week, this should make a lot of money and the sequels are guaranteed now.

I wonder if Jamie Dornan was secretly hoping this would fail and the sequels would get canceled. I really hope he enjoys being the fanfic version of Edward Cullen for the next two or three years of his life.

Edited by methodwriter85

I get the impression he's totally embarrassed/ashamed of being in this movie, based on the interviews. He's actually really good on The Fall, and that's such a highly acclaimed series that I doubt he actively wanted to be associated with crap, but I guess he did it for the money/exposure.

Having seen the film I actually don't think it's as bad as it's being hyped to be. Certainly not as pain stakingly horrific as the book anyway. Dornan and Johnson especially are standouts and manage to make what could be cringeworthy material entertaining.

Having seen the film I actually don't think it's as bad as it's being hyped to be. Certainly not as pain stakingly horrific as the book anyway. Dornan and Johnson especially are standouts and manage to make what could be cringeworthy material entertaining.

I agree. Dakota worked with what she had. I do hope those rumors about Jamie being such a pill to work with aren't true. It just not professional or considerate to Dakota.

Edited by Scarlett45

I agree. Dakota worked with what she had. I do hope those rumors about Jamie being such a pill to work with aren't true. It just not professional or considerate to Dakota.

Well, if he was, he's going to have to get over it, because he's locked for the next 2 years of his life playing Christian Grey. I would not be shocked if they did a rush job to get Darker and Freed released for Valentine's Day 2016 and 2017.

Here's what I like about Dakota- she's really good at making something work and feel real and organic. (Same thing that I like about Shailene.) She didn't have much with either the Social Network or 21 Jump Street, but she still managed to pop and be memorable. THAT is what an actress should be- someone that can take cheesy, crap material yet somehow make the character feel real. I'm glad that she's inherited her talent from her dad, not her mother. (Come on, let's be honest, Melanie Griffith is such a clear case of someone who lucked into one great role that she was born to do, similar to Heather Graham and Boogie Nights.)

Edited by methodwriter85

They are pushing Chloe Grace-Moretz SO hard right now, without her even really having a hit yet. It's going to be interesting to see if she can deliver with The Fifth Wave. I feel like they're banking on her being the next America's Sweetheart who can also do drama, so we'll see.

Dakota Johnson's agent worked overtime these past couple of weeks.

They are pushing Chloe Grace-Moretz SO hard right now, without her even really having a hit yet. It's going to be interesting to see if she can deliver with The Fifth Wave. I feel like they're banking on her being the next America's Sweetheart who can also do drama, so we'll see.

I haven't seen either Kick-Ass movie, but I thought Chloe was pretty good in The Equalizer, particularly since she mostly acted opposite Denzel Washington.

• Love 1

Regardless of whether or not Chloe Grace Moretz becomes America's Sweetheart or not, I think she'll be just fine and dandy. One thing's for certain, I'm sure she won't tumble down the rabbit hole of misery most young actors do. Seriously, look at her IMDb quote page; she's more mature and well-adjusted than actresses twice her age.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 1

Actresses like Chloe Moretz and Hailee Steinfeld are interesting because they're very young actresses who have found their niche in R-rated and adult oriented films, so they never got the tween bump that many young starlets get. They're still very young, and seem to have good head on their shoulders, so I look forward to seeing how their careers develop.

As for "The 5th Wave" I think people give Jennifer Lawrence and Shailene Woodley too much credit. The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Fault of Our Stars had huge built in fanbases. Much bigger than all the other YA adaptions that Hollywood has been churning out. I think in lesser hands, the films wouldn't have done as well, but if you'd thrown a little known franchise like "The 5th Wave" or "The Darkest Minds" at Jennifer Lawrence off her Winter's Bone success, I doubt they would have been huge box office successes. Therefore, I'm not holding my breath on it being a breakout role.

So, out of that whole wave of British and Irish actors who have broken through in the last few years, who had money on Eddie Redmayne being the first to win an Oscar?

I think I would have bet on Fassbender myself. Or maybe Hardy as a wildcard.

• Love 1

As for "The 5th Wave" I think people give Jennifer Lawrence and Shailene Woodley too much credit. The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Fault of Our Stars had huge built in fanbases. Much bigger than all the other YA adaptions that Hollywood has been churning out. I think in lesser hands, the films wouldn't have done as well, but if you'd thrown a little known franchise like "The 5th Wave" or "The Darkest Minds" at Jennifer Lawrence off her Winter's Bone success, I doubt they would have been huge box office successes. Therefore, I'm not holding my breath on it being a breakout role.

Having seen Welcome to the Rileys, I'm a bit torn now about Kristen Stewart. I still don't think she's great by any mean - she isn't even as talented as Jennifer Lawrence, IMO -  but I think that, given strong actors to work opposite of, she can be decent.

It will be interesting to see the over-the-top hype that will be sure to come up for The Danish Girl now that Redmayne has won the Oscar.  And I guess his role in Jupiter Ascending didn't hurt him (the votes had probably already been cast before it came out), but I liked that movie anyway.

Jupiter Ascending was such a weak, forgettable little burp of a movie, I don't think it did anyone's career any harm. Still, it would have been amusing for Redmayne to be the second actor in history to win an Oscar and a Razzie in the same year (in his defense, he was a million times more fun to watch in JA than either Mila Kunis or Channing Tatum).

I was thrilled Redmayne won (though, for the record, I'll never forgive the Academy for snubbing David Oyelowo). His portrayal of Stephen Hawking is the main reason to watch The Theory of Everything, an otherwise merely okay film. I'm looking forward to The Danish Girl, it sounds like a fascinating story.

I'm also glad Felicity Jones's career is gaining momentum, I've liked her for years.

I caught the end of Terminator: Salvation today. Remember when Sam Worthington was going to be the next big action hero? Avatar, Terminator, Clash of the Titans. . .

Then people realized he can't act.

I wonder if he sits at home watching Tom Hardy's action roles thinking, "That could have been me!" 

• Love 4

I caught the end of Terminator: Salvation today. Remember when Sam Worthington was going to be the next big action hero? Avatar, Terminator, Clash of the Titans. . .

Then people realized he can't act.

I wonder if he sits at home watching Tom Hardy's action roles thinking, "That could have been me!" 

Not to worry, his younger brother, Jai Courtney, has been pinch-hitting for him.  Sort of. 

And I can't believe there will be Avatar sequels.  I know the movie made a ton of money, but I'm cynical of how much US moviegoers care to see any more films.  Especially since it'll be some eight years between the first and second.  It may still do quite well with the international market, though.  Money is money.

Edited by ribboninthesky1

And I can't believe there will be Avatar sequels.  I know the movie make a ton of money, but I'm cynical of how much US moviegoers care to see any more films.  Especially since it'll be some eight years between the first and second.  It may still do quite well with the international market, though.  Money is money.

The movies also won't benefit from the bump they received back then from the novelty of 3D.

Aww, I like Jai Courtney. I think the problem is that he's meant to play the bad guy, as in his role in Divergent. He's not meant to play the hero.

I do think the Hunger Games could've worked with a lesser actress in the role, both because of the audience and the fact that the book was a rich source material that was mined well, but I don't think a lesser actress could've saved Divergent. It's an okay book series that I liked until I realized that the author was lazy and using shocking deaths to drive the plot forward instead of actually working out solutions, but the writing for the movie was so badly done that Shaliene managed to spin the crap she was given to do into gold. Well, silver. Her ability to make things seem grounded and natural, and her chemistry with Theo James were pretty much the only saving graces about the movie. I think without that, you would have gotten I Am Number 4 or The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. (Speaking of, wow, Lily Collins really just hasn't been lucky with anything she's tried being a lead in.)

Speaking of Shaliene, I've said it before, but wow, she has to be REALLY glad she got fired from Spider Man. Poor Andrew Garfield. He'll probably rebound fine, but wow, it sucks to see things totally collapse for reasons that weren't really his fault at all.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
Speaking of, wow, Lily Collins really just hasn't been lucky with anything she's tried being a lead in.

I watched "Love, Rosie" the other day, and it was just as terrible as the book, but Lily Collins and Sam Claflin had lovely chemistry, and it was so frustrating, because it was wasted on such a boring movie! Sam and Lily are two actors that seem to be getting tons of roles, and seem to have so much charm and charisma, but for some reason haven't found their footing. I mean Finnick Odair is an iconic character that should have launched Sam Claflin into the Hollywood stratosphere, and yet, he only seems to be a blip in the franchise.

I watched "Love, Rosie" the other day, and it was just as terrible as the book, but Lily Collins and Sam Claflin had lovely chemistry, and it was so frustrating, because it was wasted on such a boring movie! Sam and Lily are two actors that seem to be getting tons of roles, and seem to have so much charm and charisma, but for some reason haven't found their footing. I mean Finnick Odair is an iconic character that should have launched Sam Claflin into the Hollywood stratosphere, and yet, he only seems to be a blip in the franchise.

I can't make up my mind about Sam Claflin. For all I know, he might be brilliant, but you could have fooled me, because he keeps getting cast in really bland, thankless roles. I've seen Snow White and the Huntsman more than once, and I always forget that he was in it. I agree that Finnick Odair has the same problem as (gag) Edward Cullen: he's such an otherworldly fantasy of a man, that no actor alive can bring that to the screen. Claflin, bless him, does what he can, but it's as if the screenwriters couldn't meet the challenge, so they just gave up. 

Claflin's next big project is the adaptation of Me Before You, a book I really liked (in spite of the presence of tropes that I despise). He's co-starring with the ever-reliable Emilia Clarke, and the part of Will is pretty complicated, so that will be the proof in the pudding regarding his acting talent and leading man potential.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch

Aww, I like Jai Courtney. I think the problem is that he's meant to play the bad guy, as in his role in Divergent. He's not meant to play the hero.

I respectfully disagree. He played Varro, a hero, perfectly in Spartacus: Blood & Sand; otoh, A Good Day To Die Hard did him no favors. With the proper scripts, I think Courtney can play heroes.

• Love 1
 I mean Finnick Odair is an iconic character that should have launched Sam Claflin into the Hollywood stratosphere, and yet, he only seems to be a blip in the franchise.

To be fair to Sam, Finnick's really not in the movies all that much. Then again, Johanna is barely in the movie, and Jena Malone was pretty memorable.

Unless Me Before You is mauled in the adaptation process, it should be one hell of a role. If Sam can't pull off Will Traynor, he really doesn't have it in him. That is like a tailor-made star-making role.

• Love 1

Speaking of Shaliene, I've said it before, but wow, she has to be REALLY glad she got fired from Spider Man. Poor Andrew Garfield. He'll probably rebound fine, but wow, it sucks to see things totally collapse for reasons that weren't really his fault at all.

She wasn't fired.  Her part was only scheduled for three days' shooting, and she shot all of the scenes she was scheduled to shoot, but then tptb decided just to remove MJ from the final film. 

I'm really curious where MJ would have fit into that mess of a film. The plot was so erratic and insane and unintentionally hilarious, I almost wish they threw more random characters at us until everyone from the Spider Man universe was accounted for. After Shailene was cut from the film, there was talk that MJ would be recast in the next film (a moot point now) and they blamed it on conflicts with Divergent. 

If I were Andrew Garfield, I would lie low and try to get jobs acting in edgy Off-Broadway shows, and see if I could get myself into another David Fincher production.

I do feel bad for him. It's not his fault at all. The acting was never the problem here.

If they do another reboot, I hope they at least have Peter in college or as a young adult. Yet another high school origin story would be ridiculous. They should take a page from the Dark Knight or something.

• Love 1

I was thrilled Redmayne won (though, for the record, I'll never forgive the Academy for snubbing David Oyelowo). His portrayal of Stephen Hawking is the main reason to watch The Theory of Everything, an otherwise merely okay film. I'm looking forward to The Danish Girl, it sounds like a fascinating story.

They just released a picture of him in The Danish Girl...hmmm...

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/feb/27/eddie-redmayne-transgender-lili-elbe-first-picture-danish-girl

If I were Andrew Garfield, I would lie low and try to get jobs acting in edgy Off-Broadway shows, and see if I could get myself into another David Fincher production.

I do feel bad for him. It's not his fault at all. The acting was never the problem here.

If they do another reboot, I hope they at least have Peter in college or as a young adult. Yet another high school origin story would be ridiculous. They should take a page from the Dark Knight or something.

Garfield is currently filming Martin Scorsese's longtime passion project Silence, which seems like a great move. I do feel bad for him, but I think he'll be fine. As for Eddie Redmayne, he makes a damn fine looking lady. Wouldn't be surprised to see him nominated again next year, seems like a fascinating project.

(edited)

I've always liked her and I'm so glad Rosamund Pike is getting to do cool stuff. I remember waaay back when she was doing press for that silly DOOM movie an interviewer was giving her a hard time and she basically said she'd resigned herself to the idea that she would forever play the Icy English Woman, so she jumped at the chance to play with the boys and shoot guns just to do something different.

So psyched that she's breaking out.

ETA: Ha. It just occurred to me that 3 of the Bennett sisters have Oscar nominations.

I can't make up my mind about Sam Claflin. For all I know, he might be brilliant, but you could have fooled me, because he keeps getting cast in really bland, thankless roles. I've seen Snow White and the Huntsman more than once, and I always forget that he was in it. I agree that Finnick Odair has the same problem as (gag) Edward Cullen: he's such an otherworldly fantasy of a man, that no actor alive can bring that to the screen. Claflin, bless him, does what he can, but it's as if the screenwriters couldn't meet the challenge, so they just gave up.

I can't figure out Claflin either. I too find him very bland, but like you said . . . . he hasn't had a whole lot to work with either. I did kind of like him in the godawful Pirates movie he was in (was that #4?), but I don't know if I actually liked him or if his storyline annoyed me the least. Speaking of people in that movie, I've seen Astrid Berges-Frisbey in a few things now and I really like her. I don't mean this in reference to her looks, but she has a great face.

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 1
(edited)

ETA: Ha. It just occurred to me that 3 of the Bennett sisters have Oscar nominations.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jena Malone gets there someday. I am so glad that the Hatfields and McCoys re-invigorated her career. I've liked her ever since Step-Mom.

Speaking of current child stars transitioning into young adult roles, I'm really rooting for Bailey Madison and Joey King. Both girls have a presence to them, Bailey especially. Bailey seems like she's doing more t.v. work while Joey seems like she's doing more movie work.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

Hey, that's true! Funny. Which one do you think is most likely to win one day?

Edited by ruby24
(edited)

So, I wound up in the good ol' IMDB wormhole after clicking on a Maps to the Stars ad. Anyway, can I just say I continue to be in love with the post Twilight choices that Pattinson and Stewart are making? Those movies, and everyone in them, made me want to tear my hair out. But, seriously. Those two post franchise? So good. Pattinson just signed on to a cool sounding Western with Guy Pearce (Rover reunion!), Mia Wasikowska and Carice Van Houten and he's attached to the Lost City of Z movie that people have been trying to make forever. Stewart just signed on the be in Kelly Reichardt's latest ensemble movie. And apparently, she just won a Cesar award in France for Sils Maria.

I love the fact that they both seem to be like, "Well, shit. I've made enough money that I can just do the stuff I want to do. Sweet."

I'd say right now it's Jessica Chastain, and Rosamund Pike if she can maintain her momentum. (Melissa Leo isn't really a leading lady, but it's also neat that she's become a well-known character actress in her 50's.)

Can we add Amy Adams to the Awesome Leading Ladies Over 30 list? I don't know that she's technically considered a leading lady, but she should be, dammit!

Hey, that's true! Funny. Which one do you think is most likely to win one day?

Heh. I don't know. I guess It'd be cool if Knightley won. I think she's pretty underrated and she's been nominated a few times now, though I wouldn't be surprised if Mulligan won one first.

Edited by hardy har
(edited)

Are we sure there will be two more of these movies? Unless it pulls in Marvel superhero movie money I don't see how they'll be able to recoup the advertising budget - I literally cannot turn on my television or open a magazine without seeing something about it.

Fifty Shades of Grey is standing around 150 million domestic, and close to 500 million worldwide. Not quite Marvel but still pretty up there, especially in global box office. For a movie that cost 40 million to make, that's pretty good.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

I remember reading somewhere that Eddie Redmayne was one of the finalists for the role of Finn Hudson on Glee.  That's really interesting to think about now.  I think they weren't convinced he looked like a football player.  I'm sure he's happy that he didn't get it in retrospect.

Edited by vb68

The Emma Stone vs Jennifer Lawrence comparison in UO just reminded me about how glad I am that Stone is on the rise again. I was really charmed by her roles in Easy A, Crazy Stupid Love, and Paper Man. I was one of the five people that saw PM, and she was one the best thing about an otherwise meh movie. I think her acting range is better than most of her contemporaries since she can do comedy and she has an ability for emotional rawness. I don't mind Jennifer Lawrence, but she lacks a certain "softness" that Stone has. I also agree with the poster in the other thread that said Stone has more chemistry with her co-stas than JL does.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, she has an easy charisma that shines through, even when she's just being relaxed on screen. Which is harder than it looks to pull off I think- people call that being yourself, but I question whether Jennifer Lawrence can ever be relaxed on screen. Actors who appear effortless don't get noticed or praised as much for that kind of style though, because it's not as in your face.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 1

I adored Emma Stone in Easy A.

I still remember her face crumbling as she realizes that the date she thought she was on was just another guy wanting to use her. Emma was funny, but she could also bring the drama pretty well.

Her role in the Bradley Cooper romance comedy should probably serve her well...Bradley is so hot right now. Although it kind of makes me sad that Rachel McAdams seems to have been turned into a supporting character actress.

• Love 1

Her role in the Bradley Cooper romance comedy should probably serve her well...Bradley is so hot right now. Although it kind of makes me sad that Rachel McAdams seems to have been turned into a supporting character actress.

It makes me sad as well since I love McAdams for almost the same reasons I love Stone. On the other hand, I'm glad McAdams is still getting regular work. She took a break when her star was on the rise and I kinda admired her for it. She was candid about not wanting to be a "star". Playing that game is not easy. She stepped out of the limelight and she didn't compromise her values (e.g. the Vanity Fair Tom Ford cover debacle). McAdams hit it big at the end of her 20s/ingenue years too which I think helps ground actors. I'm still hoping she gets a come back and gets cast in some critically acclaimed lead roles and get some award nominations.

It makes me sad as well since I love McAdams for almost the same reasons I love Stone. On the other hand, I'm glad McAdams is still getting regular work. She took a break when her star was on the rise and I kinda admired her for it. She was candid about not wanting to be a "star". Playing that game is not easy. She stepped out of the limelight and she didn't compromise her values (e.g. the Vanity Fair Tom Ford cover debacle). McAdams hit it big at the end of her 20s/ingenue years too which I think helps ground actors. I'm still hoping she gets a come back and gets cast in some critically acclaimed lead roles and get some award nominations.

Did that end up being a debacle? I can understand her not wanting to do it if she was uncomfortable with the nudity, but didn't that become one of the most famous Vanity Fair covers of all time?

Did that end up being a debacle? I can understand her not wanting to do it if she was uncomfortable with the nudity, but didn't that become one of the most famous Vanity Fair covers of all time?

I may have exaggerated with the use of "debacle" but I do remember Tom Ford making a lot of boo-hoo comments about Rachel not doing it because he took her place. He admitted that if had been Keira, Scarlett, and Rachel, it would have been a "bevy" and it basically ruined his vision when he had to be in the cover. In general, I like Tom Ford as a designer and a director, but I did not like the idea for the original cover and completely supported Rachel not doing it. I don't think it was just the nudity, the idea of the three of them naked on the cover seemed a bit tasteless for me. I think VF does have trashy aspects to its covers except they try to be more legitimate with better photographers than most magazines. Not a fan of the final outcome either and Ford didn't save it.

Well, either way, I certainly remember the cover itself- I'm pretty sure it got all parties involved the publicity they wanted. That's still one of the most infamous covers they ever did.

Well, either way, I certainly remember the cover itself- I'm pretty sure it got all parties involved the publicity they wanted. That's still one of the most infamous covers they ever did.

Infamous is right. Doing that kind of cover is playing the game in Hollywood, but I admired Rachel for choosing not to. I would have probably still loved her if she did though. I don't think it hurt her career or reputation when she refused; she just chose to step away from the spotlight.

I am a huge Rachel McAdams fan, I think she can do anything and I too admire the fact that she took a step back when she was supposed to be the "It Girl" and didn't want to be overexposed. She seems to have a big 2015, in addition to starring in True Detective (and hopefully winning awards), she has the aforementioned Aloha with Cooper, Stone, etc. and then Southpaw with Jake Gyllenhaal and Spotlight with Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo, either of which seem like they could be awards contenders. I have missed her, so I hope all of these are huge hits for her.

• Love 2