Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

I do think Josh Lucas could have played a lot of the roles that made Bradley Cooper famous, for sure. Although Bradley Cooper's roles tended to be lighter in fare, and it was often about how 80's movie villain handsome he was. Josh has played a lot of darker indie roles, and his looks kind of allowed him to, while Bradley Cooper has always been kind of boyishly handsome.

Shailene Woodley has to be thanking her lucky stars that she was fired from the Amazing Spiderman 2. Poor Andrew Garfield, though. I really do hope they keep him, but it's not looking good. It's not even him that's the problem.

Edited by methodwriter85

Sony should just make The Amazing Spiderman 3. I didn't even bother to see the second movie, but it still made a decent amount of money. Trim the budget, get a good writer for the script, and see how it goes. Has to be better for Sony financially than just waiting a few years to reboot again? It's not like they have that many movies that are gonna make $700 million worldwide, anyway. Should be interesting to see what Garfield and Stone do next, in any case.

Was Blackhat even promoted all that much? I'm not sure the poor box office is necessarily a reflection of Hemsworth.  He's not really had much to do, outside of Thor, in the American market.   That's the gilded cage of coming to prominence within these Marvel franchises, as the actors are locked down to a single role for half their lives.  Hyperbole, yes, but it doesn't seem like actors have much opportunity to do much work in between Marvel films.  Hopefully, the Marvel contracts are lucrative.   

• Love 2

I think a certain decision in the second movie makes a third entry into this Spider-Man franchise pointless. I know I won't be watching it, anyway.

Andrew Garfield needs to spread his wings a little and get some more work under his belt similar to The Social Network.

Emma Stone just got her first Oscar nomination, and I think her career is going to continue climbing even if that nom is a bit of a headscratcher. I just didn't think she had enough to do in Birdman to warrant it.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm a little worried for Andrew Garfield. It seems like Sony and now Marvel are both willing to throw him under the bus for the troubles with the franchise reboot. I should have seen it coming after some tried to blame him for the scrapped bit with Batkid at the Oscars last year. I think he was one of the better things about the movies, but if he does wind up getting the blame, it's not going to be easy to shake off a "failure" that high-profile (I put failure in quotes because were it not for the last ten minutes, I suspect there would have been at a minimum 50% less criticism of the film). I agree that I hope he can get some more work along the lines of Social Network or Never Let Me Go.

But then again, George Clooney didn't take too many lumps for Batman & Robin, so hopefully Garfield will be okay.

Yeah, I feel bad for Andrew Garfield.  It's not his fault at all.  Hell, the best part of the new movies is the chemistry between him and Stone.  I've never been a fan of any Spiderman movie and I thought it was silly to reboot it.  Still, whatever problems the franchise has shouldn't be blamed on him.  I hope he continues to have a good career after this.

I also feel bad for Garfield, it seems like he is being thrown under the bus lately.  Shame on the studio for not publicly putting out a press release supporting their star, or at least pull the band aid off and announce another reboot.  The Gossip of replacing him needs to be addressed either way.  There were many issues with the last Spiderman movie, but Andrew Garfield was not one of them. 

Just heard this morning that Marvel/Disney and Aran Ayed (?) (owner of Spiderman, theatrically) are attempting to talk about possibly getting Spiderman back in the fold and premiering him in the third or fourth upcoming Avenger movies.  Hence all this talk of rebooting the franchise again is coming from.

But then again, George Clooney didn't take too many lumps for Batman & Robin, so hopefully Garfield will be okay.

Then again I have always thought that the reason that more people didn't mock or criticize Clooney for Batman and Robin is because he was probably the most vocal critic. I mean he was always bashing his performance in that movie (never the movie or the co-stars or behind the camera people, always making fun of himself). Hard to really complain too much about that movie, when whatever you say about the star, he has said something more critical, and likely funnier.

Isn't Andrew Garfield the lead in Scorcese's next movie (which is why he's been sporting that ridiculous beard lately)? So he's not doing too bad then.

Also, I haven't seen the movies and there may be a different attitude within the industry, but everything I've read on them seems to indicate that most people think that he (along with Emma Stone) was one of the few things that worked for that franchise.

Edited by AshleyN

Isn't Andrew Garfield the lead in Scorcese's next movie (which is why he's been sporting that ridiculous beard lately)? So he's not doing too bad then.

Also, I haven't seen the movies and there may be a different attitude within the industry, but everything I've read on them seems to indicate that most people think that he (along with Emma Stone) was one of the few things that worked for that franchise.

Totally, the cast of Spiderman has never been the issue.  I would put it more on the writing, direction, and studio.  Not to put all the blame on them either but the cast certainly isn't the lacking component.  Andrew, Emma, and Sally Field have brought a real warmth and strength to their characters.

My favorite scene from the second film, is between Sally and Andrew when she feels him pulling away to investigate his parents death and she is terrified and breaks down about him "being her son, and belonging to her".  I love that scene for giving Sally a chance to "rage", just because she is so good at it, and Andrew being able to comfort her in that moment.  Really beautiful scene.

My take on Hemsworth is that he's a leading man but not a solo leading man. If he's the lead or c-lead of an ensemble (Thor and Avengers) then he's fantastic. He's got the skills no matter the role but I think that having a strong ensemble brings out the best in him. That's what I'd like to see from him in his non-Marvel roles.

He was amazing in Rush, even when Daniel Bruhl gave one of the best performances of the year in that movie (I'm still bitter that Jonah Hill got an Oscar nom over him). Hemsworth definitely held his own. What he has in spades is charisma, though he's also got a lot of potential acting wise I think.

I'd argue Blackhat doing badly has to do as much with him as American Sniper doing well has to do with Bradley Cooper...not that much. The marketing for Blackhat was crap. I didn't even know this movie existed. Meanwhile American Sniper is all over the (Fox)news and media etc. The trailers for it were also really good.

• Love 2

A new article on the rise of Bradley Cooper 

From 'Alias' To 'American Sniper': How Bradley Cooper Became One Of Hollywood's Biggest Stars

In the summer of 2011 in an alternate universe, Bradley Cooper retires to his trailer on the set of his new movie and wearily checks his email. His latest movie “Green Lantern” has just opened. Opening weekend wasn’t so bad —the film grossed over $50 million— but it was a $200 million picture, and with poisonous reviews and word of mouth, even among the undiscerning geek crowd, signs are that the film will drop off fast (indeed, it would eventually take barely half its opening weekend number in the U.S, and make a little over $200 million worldwide).

Bradley hadn’t been sure about taking the part: the script was ropey and unfinished, and it had meant passing on a smart sci-fi drama called “Limitless” and dropping out of the surefire hit sequel to “The Hangover” (he’d been replaced by a cheaper actor from the cast of “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia”). But his management had assured him that a superhero movie was the best way to capitalize on his recent heat and would catapult him into the A-list. Instead, his brand was now tainted. Sighing almost inaudibly, he pours himself a stiff drink and crosses his fingers in the hope that the ghost cop movie he’s currently shooting with Jeff Bridges proves more successful.

We don’t live in this universe, as you might have noticed, but we came close to it: Cooper, along with Justin Timberlake and Ryan Reynolds, was up for Warner Bros’ “Green Lantern” movie —Reynolds landed the part. However, Cooper likely doesn’t regret the decisions made in this reality too much, given that the past week has just confirmed him as one of the biggest stars in the world.

more at link 

I don't see anything on imdb connecting Scorsese and Garfield, but Garfield does have a star turn film coming up, Hacksaw Ridge, where he stars as the first Conscientious Objector to get a Congressional Medal of Honor.  He's also the star of 99 Homes, with Michael Shannon, Tim Guinee and Laura Dern.

The beard may be for Silence, in which he plays a 17th century priest.

The next Scorsese film stars Miles Teller.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
The beard may be for Silence, in which he plays a 17th century priest.

The next Scorsese film stars Miles Teller.

Silence is directed by Scorsese. Scorsese is only executive producing Bleed for This (the movie with Teller) according to IMDB.

Emma Stone just got her first Oscar nomination, and I think her career is going to continue climbing

And from what I understand, she earned raves for taking over Cabaret on Broadway.  I feel like the Spiderman franchise is already far away in her rearview mirror.

I remember when Bradley Cooper left Alias his career was in the dumps for quite a while. But then he made some very smart choices and probably also got lucky - and well, the rest is movie history.

It was Wedding Crashers that put him back on my radar.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that one put him in position to get The Hangover.

I find Sienna Miller's career turnaround very interesting. I always liked her, but she was more of the pretty fashionable girl I saw in magazines rather than a "serious" actress. However, I thought she was fantastic in American Sniper, very good with the little she had to do in Foxcatcher, and she has something like seven films coming out in the next year. She will also be taking over after Emma Stone in Cabaret. I read in an interview that she credits becoming a mother with people taking her more seriously, which I thought was very interesting and possibly true. Settling down and staying out of the tabloids definitely seems to be working for her right now, so I'm curious to see what you guys think of her. 

Siena Miller and Naomi Watts are two actresses that I am baffled still have a career. Neither can act their way out of a paper bag and have all the charisma of a limp dishrag on-screen. So, I am pretty disappointed that Siena is having a career resurgance.

Siena Miller and Naomi Watts are two actresses that I am baffled still have a career. Neither can act their way out of a paper bag and have all the charisma of a limp dishrag on-screen.

I totally disagree. When given the right material, such as The Girl, about the making of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds and his obsession with its star Tippi Hedren, for which she got a Golden Globe nomination, I think Sienna Miller can act and has charisma. As for Naomi Watts, she has not only shown considerable charisma and acting chops in Mullholland Dr., she was Oscar-nominated and IMO deservedly so for her roles in 21 Grams and The Impossible.

• Love 3

I don't think so. Coming in here was the first I had even heard of [blackhat]

Really?  Man, there's been a commercial on for it almost constantly the past few weeks; what turned me off is how bad the trailer was, including some truly awful dubbing that was the worst exposition; literally:  "A terrorist just blew up a nuclear reactor.   To stop this guy we need a blackhat hacker named Hathaway."  Followed by random shots of explosions and running around.     But yeah, I don't blame Hemsworth for that.

• Love 2

I keep using Lily Tomlin's great GG bit: Two things can be true. I think the marketing sucked or Blackhat, but eh it was dumped in January and that alone shows a lack of faith in the product. Personally I think Hemsworth IS charismatic, but I think his acting is...bland and fairly mediocre. In Rush I think Chris had really pretty hair and that was about it, especially up against Daniel Bruhl. I do have hopes to see how he really does with lead part in the Moby Dick thing later in the year, but eh I'm not convinced he understands his own level, like say...The Rock.

Silence is directed by Scorsese. Scorsese is only executive producing Bleed for This (the movie with Teller) according to IMDB.

Also, from what I understand Silence is something of a passion project for Scorcese, and that he's been wanting to make it for years. So yeah, that's a pretty huge get for Garfield, since I have to imagine that every actor in his age group would have just about given their left arm for that opportunity.

Miller's career really (deservedly) re-surged after The Girl. I think people take her more seriously than just a Boho fashion plate because of that movie.

Another actress who's career basically jump-started after a successful T.V. movie is Jena Malone, who won the coveted part of Johanna Mason in the Hunger Games franchise after her turn as Bitchy Nancy in Hatfields and McCoys. I'm really glad. She was struggling for awhile to find success as an adult actress after her turn as the Proto-Kristen Stewart in the early/mid-2000's.

There's this photo trending on Reddit, on OldSchoolCool, which shows the cast of The Outsiders. It's funny when you think that aside from C. Thomas Howell, every single actor there went on to great success (though short-lived in the case of Ralph) and memorable roles.

I think the two other movies I can think of that had that kind of concentration of future movie stars/child stars made good were Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Dazed and Confused.

I'm really hoping that in 20 years we'll look back on the cast of The Perks of Being a Wallflower the same way. (Well, Emma Watson is already a major movie star.)

Edited by methodwriter85

I wonder what Ryan Guzman's career will be like after The Boy Next Door.  Will he be laughed out of Hollywood?  His next film is That's What I'm Talking About, which is going to get a huge tween audience with actors from Glee and Teen Wolf in it.  And then he's in Jem and the Holograms, whose core audience is probably too old to actually see it, but it might still attract a young crowd.

I think he's fine. Appearing in crappy teen movies didn't hurt Channing Tatum, either. What screws you over is if you're hyped as the next hottest thing, given a lead role in potential franchise in movies, and then failed. See: I Am Number 4 and Alex Pettyfer.

Although Alex Pettyfer's problems go beyond that. I can't believe he got himself written out of the sequel to Magic Mike. Since Channing Tatum is by all reports a nice guy, you have to be a major ass to be piss him off. That guy has burned so many bridges it's unbelievable.

Edited by methodwriter85

I still can't believe that he turned down Jace in the Mortal Instruments because he wanted 3 million dollars. Like, who the fuck are you? Jennifer Lawrence got 500k for the first Hunger Games movie.

What makes it sad is that he DOES have star quality. (Note I said star quality, not acting ability.) He pulled off Beastly quite well, and the camera still loved his face despite all that ghastly make-up.

I can't imagine how much of an ass you have to be for Channing Tatum, Hollywood's go-to Nicest Guy right now, to despise you enough that he had you written out of a movie you should have been in.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

His next film is That's What I'm Talking About, which is going to get a huge tween audience with actors from Glee and Teen Wolf in it.

Well, this one is written and directed by Richard Linklater, so it probably won't be dismissed as just another teen movie at least.

• Love 1

Miller's career really (deservedly) re-surged after The Girl. I think people take her more seriously than just a Boho fashion plate because of that movie.

Another actress who's career basically jump-started after a successful T.V. movie is Jena Malone, who won the coveted part of Johanna Mason in the Hunger Games franchise after her turn as Bitchy Nancy in Hatfields and McCoys. I'm really glad. She was struggling for awhile to find success as an adult actress after her turn as the Proto-Kristen Stewart in the early/mid-2000's.

There's this photo trending on Reddit, on OldSchoolCool, which shows the cast of The Outsiders. It's funny when you think that aside from C. Thomas Howell, every single actor there went on to great success (though short-lived in the case of Ralph) and memorable roles.

I think the two other movies I can think of that had that kind of concentration of future movie stars/child stars made good were Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Dazed and Confused.

I'm really hoping that in 20 years we'll look back on the cast of The Perks of Being a Wallflower the same way. (Well, Emma Watson is already a major movie star.)

Fast Times made me think of Clueless and how I wish Alicia Silverstone did more. She is SO good in Clueless, and I wish she would've capitalized on that.

I think I read that she actually had her own development deal and chose the movies she wanted or something, and basically she just picked some real crappy ones. I'd at least like to see some comeback on TV or something.

Clueless should have been what Legally Blonde was to Reese Witherspoon, IMO.

• Love 2

Honestly, I thought Alicia Silverstone had a hard time with fame, and it manifested itself with her weight gain. She seemed to lose weight and seem far more comfortable when her career had cooled off by 1998/1999.

Brittany Murphy is the only one from that movie who went on to be a movie star...man it's a shame she had to go off the rails.

Edited by methodwriter85

Honestly, I thought Alicia Silverstone had a hard time with fame, and it manifested itself with her weight gain. She seemed to lose weight and seem far more comfortable when her career had cooled off by 1998/1999.

Brittany Murphy is the only one from that movie who went on to be a movie star...man it's a shame she had to go off the rails.

Alicia was actually quoted once as saying that she wouldn't wish fame on anyone. I get a feeling she's actually happy just being a working actress.

Paul Rudd did quite well career wise, after Clueless.

Totally forgot about him, although he kind of walks that line between "working movie actor" and "star". It's only been recent that he's had the starring role in movies that weren't small indies or total romantic comedy flops. His career is great, don't get me wrong, but he feels more like an "Ensemble player" than the leading man. That might change with Ant Man but we'll see.

I saw an interview with Daniel Radcliffe where the interviewer was saying that they had a hard time viewing him as a romantic lead after having seen him grow up in the Harry Potter movies, and he said it didn't seem to be a problem for Emma Watson.  :D