Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

I always thought of Chris Pine as being rather bland, but I just watched Horrible Bosses 2, and he was freaking hilarious in the film. He should do more comedies, because he was much funnier than I was expecting.

I haven't seen seen that movie, but he was great as douchetastic Prince Charming in Into the Woods. His and Billy Magnussun's "Agony" was hilarious - my favourite number in the movie.

• Love 5

Dan Stevens is the Beast. I hope it works out for him, given that everybody's calling him the next David Caruso. Right now his post-Abbey career hasn't been very impressive. It's funny that both he and Michelle Dockery got on the Liam Neeson action movie train, but his flopped while hers was successful.

I'm kind of sad though that he dropped weight. I get why he did it, but I liked his chubby Matthew cheeks. It was funny like two years ago listening to people bitch about him leaving Downton Abbey. I think the thing people don't realize about British t.v. is that the shows don't usually go on for years and years like American t.v. does. I think British actors tend to get antsy while Americans tend to be much more comfortable about staying put.

*Sigh* I wish Jensen Ackles had left Supernatural for movies when he still had the chance. At this point, I think his window is closed as he's 37 now. I get the guy has a family but man, I wish he had been willing to be gutsy.

Then again, he could have a Kyle-Chandler-like career- mostly t.v. guy, but still shows up in a movies as a solid "Hey, It's That Guy." I think his chance to be a movie leading man closed, though. Which sucks, because apparently he was in the running for Captain America.

Chris Pine was great in This Means War.

I'm annoyed that movie ended with everything tied in a bow, because I really want a sequel. Pine, Hardy and Witherspoon were hilarious together.

• Love 3
*Sigh* I wish Jensen Ackles had left Supernatural for movies when he still had the chance. At this point, I think his window is closed as he's 37 now. I get the guy has a family but man, I wish he had been willing to be gutsy.

Hey, he's a man, what does it matter if he's 37? Men in Hollywood can make it at 37, 47, or, in Bryan Cranston's case, 57. If Ackles were a woman? Then, yes, his window would most likely be closed.

• Love 1

I have an honest question: was Ackles really up for Captain America and Starlord?  I only read the articles that announce the casts when they're confirmed, so I would have no way of knowing who is in the running for various parts, but Ackles seems like a really poor fit for both roles, to the point that I can't see Marvel having any interest in him.  I've seen it mentioned at different times that he was up for both roles, with his commitment to Supernatural preventing him from taking them, but I haven't seen the sources confirming this.  Does anyone have the links?  I'm very interested to read the articles and try and figure out why he wouldn't try to work something out if they really were offered.  If he was offered two separate lead roles in Marvel movies and turned them down, wow. 

I will say that I think he'd have just played it as Dean vs Red Skull or Dean in Space so it's for the best that he wasn't in either movie. 

• Love 1
I have an honest question: was Ackles really up for Captain America and Starlord?  I only read the articles that announce the casts when they're confirmed, so I would have no way of knowing who is in the running for various parts, but Ackles seems like a really poor fit for both roles, to the point that I can't see Marvel having any interest in him.

I only vaguely remember, because I was invested in John Krasinski being in the running, but Ackles was mentioned in some of the short lists for Captain America (Chris Evans, wasn't in the running, media wise, until he was cast, basically.) Apparently Ackles also passed on Hawkeye, but I didn't see any casting articles for that role, just rumors about "who could have played this role." I don't put much weight behind Ackles being up for Star Lord though, as the only sourced article I found for that rumor was a fan cast page. I think the guy has a lot of charm and charisma (which is especially funny since his Dawson's Creek nickname was "Blandy") and would have made a good Hawkeye. I agree about Marvel not having a real interest in him, I think it's more rabid fans building hype around their favorite. The WB/DC comics synergy versus the MCU seems like a legitimate reason, but one would think that if Ackles was getting all of these career making opportunities that his network was nixing, he would have dropped Supernatural a long time ago.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hey, he's a man, what does it matter if he's 37? Men in Hollywood can make it at 37, 47, or, in Bryan Cranston's case, 57. If Ackles were a woman? Then, yes, his window would most likely be closed.

I have an honest question: was Ackles really up for Captain America and Starlord? 

scarynikki2, I actually heard on this site that Jensen was considered for Starlord, but I didn't look for any articles about it until now. Here is one article I found

It isn't that I don't believe that Marvel would at least consider him. He's a passable actor, and he's the sort of blandly handsome type who would look dashing in the role, but they also apparently considered Joseph Gordon Levitt and Eddie Redmayne, among others. Given that competition, I can see why he didn't get the part, and Pratt is a much better fit than Ackles regardless of who else was up for the role.

And I don't think him being nearly forty has anything to do with him not breaking out into larger roles. I think it's that he recognizes his own limitations. Gina Rodriguez did not "steal" his Golden Globe or whatever, which wouldn't even be possible anyway since they'd have been in different categories. He's talented enough, but he'd have still been a poor choice for the movie, IMO.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 1

I'm loving Maika Monroe who is reminds me of Brittany Murphy, she's had back to back good turns in 80's inflected horror/suspense films The Guest and now It Follows. I'm hoping to see a lot more of her, and she doesn't just get typecast as a art scream queen..

but one would think that if Ackles was getting all of these career making opportunities that his network was nixing, he would have dropped Supernatural a long time ago.

This one agrees with you 100%. I simply do not believe that Ackles would re-sign for a long past it's prime genre show on a netlet if he had been offered a big, juicy, movie role. It'll be straight-to-DVD and/or the Lifetime circuit for him once SPN gets cancelled.

• Love 2

Ackles would be this generation's Michael Landon.

I don't see it. Michael Landon's shows always were about morality and family values. (You know, because he was such a paragon of that.)

The Mark Harmon comparison makes more sense. I don't think Jensen Ackles will ever hurt for t.v. roles.

I would LOVE though if he could somehow pull a Bryan Cranston with a gritty cable t.v. series that turns him into a major leading man late in life.

I don't see it. Michael Landon's shows always were about morality and family values. (You know, because he was such a paragon of that.)

Didn't Michael Landon produce, direct a lot of it, and maybe write it too?  I don't remember for sure,  but he was definitely the 800lb gorilla behind the scenes.

Even the Mark Harmon comparison is iffy for me because he was quite well  known for a variety of  parts before getting his long term  series  role.  Heck for about  ten minutes in 1987 he was an actual movie star with The Presidio and Summer School.  I remember.

Edited by vb68

Well, Jensen Ackles had a pretty good variety going on before Supernatural- a soap, Dawson's Creek, Dark Angel, a Marilynn Monroe biopic with Poppy Mongomery, a part on Smallville, etc.

He seems to have lost interest in branching out from Supernatural, though. I think he'll always have work but he'll always be Dean Winchester.

Well, Jensen Ackles had a pretty good variety going on before Supernatural- a soap, Dawson's Creek, Dark Angel, a Marilynn Monroe biopic with Poppy Mongomery, a part on Smallville, etc.

Ok, fair enough.  I only saw the part on Smallville.

Mark Harmon was Emmy nominated as far back as 1977 for  his work in a tv movie about Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. And he was the lead in a couple of movies.  I will certainly agree that he doesn't stretch much today at all outside of NCIS.  He doesn't need to obviously.  I loved his parts on West Wing and St. Elsewhere.   

Edited by vb68

I know Tom Welling did Parkland, but I'm really rather surprised with how low profile he is now.

I'm not getting why that would be Dan Stevens' last shot.  I think he's still considered up and coming.  I've heard his name mentioned in connection with some possible roles with Marvel in the future.

Edited by vb68

I think Dan Stevens will be great in Beauty and the Beast, and will have a nice career. He got good reviews for his film The Guest, and has been working steadily ever since he left Downton. Though I loved Matthew Crawley, I understand why Dan wanted to leave and think it has worked out well for him.

• Love 1

He seems to have lost interest in branching out from Supernatural, though. I think he'll always have work but he'll always be Dean Winchester.

I think Jensen Ackles is a good actor and he was my favourite part of Supernatural before I gave up. He was kind of terrible in the only movie I have seen him in though. He played the lead in the My Bloody Valentine remake and it's like he just forgot he wasn't on the set of Supernatural. He kind of just played the character like a lesser version of Dean, which is surprising since he's usually good when he gets other characters to play on Supernatural.

Speaking of Smallville, other than Kristen Kruek, do any of the other young actors have projects planned?

I think they're mostly doing television. Allison Mack was in the latest episode of The Following and is going to be guest star on the new Anna Friel show American Odyssey. Michael Rosenbaum has a sitcom in the works, Erica Durance is the lead on a Canadian medical show, Cassidy Freeman is on Longmire which just got saved by Netflix a few months ago. Tom Welling is going to be in The Choice, some Nicholas Sparks movie. Don't know how big his part is though, but he had about three scenes in the movie Draft Day with Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner.

(edited)

I know Tom Welling did Parkland, but I'm really rather surprised with how low profile he is now.

I'm not getting why that would be Dan Stevens' last shot.  I think he's still considered up and coming.  I've heard his name mentioned in connection with some possible roles with Marvel in the future.

Heh, I kinda figured that was because all of his movies haven't really done well, but none of them were really high-profile flops that he was expected to carry, so I'll take that back. We'll see how it goes for Dan.

As for Tom Welling, he never really seemed like he was pushing that hard to get into movies. He's been in there and he's appeared in stuff, but I don't get the feeling he's beating down doors to stay relevant. He seems like a guy who probably wisely invested his Smallville money and works when he wants to, not that he really needs to. If you notice his IMDB page, he didn't really do acting besides Smallville between 2006 and 2011. (He was producing Hellcats back in 2010, it seems.) Then he took 2012 off, and he's had a few movie roles in the past couple of years. I really wouldn't be shocked that as he hits his 40's (he's 38 this year), he gets more into behind-the-camera stuff.

I noticed that Teresa Palmer in that Nicholas Sparks movie, and it sounds like she's the lead. God, I hope it the breaks the recent Nicholas Sparks trend and is actually a hit. I've been a fan of hers since Warm Bodies...it still bothers me the movie wasn't more successful. (It was a mild hit.) Teresa really should have a name because of that.

Speaking of actors from Warm Bodies...is it wrong that I'm glad Analeigh Tipton's Manhattan Love Story got cancelled? I'm sorry but the show wasn't that funny, and I'm really rooting for Analeigh to get better parts. She's such a scene stealer.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
(edited)

(he's 38 this year)

Wow.  Where does the time go?  

I actually think he would be good in character parts   He always seemed to come alive when he got to play the darker side of Clark.  

Edited by vb68
(edited)

Wow.  Where does the time go?  

I actually think he would be good in character parts   He always seemed to come alive when he got to play the darker side of Clark.  

Time goes a lot faster when you're a 25-year old playing a 15-year old. LOL.

Clark in real time should be 27/28 years old. I always kinda liked that we were both the class of 2005. The O.C. class should have been the class of '05, too, but then the show was forced to pretend that the first season was actually sophomore year.

I can see Tom Welling doing interesting character parts as he gets older, the same way Jude Law is. Jude Law kinda got typecast as the pretty boy for a very long time. Tom Welling is still very hot but he no longer looks like a 25-year old model, which might help him a lot with getting different roles.

Edited by methodwriter85

Why Rachel McAdams Never Became A Big Movie Star

I don't think it's just because of a lack of starring vehicles for women. I really think that Rachel just didn't want to be a super-star, and she's happier being a supporting actress with a few leading roles.

I agree. I think they should have used another "It Girl" because McAdams has been on record saying she consciously took a break from acting and that she herself never even thought or wanted to be a big star outside of Canada. She was probably turned off by playing the game too much as well.

It's not to say the writer is completely wrong as I think there is a dearth of interesting roles for women of all ages particularly WOCs and women over 40. I don't think McAdams is the best case study even for her age group.

• Love 1

I've mentioned before how I'm glad Felicity Jones's career is gaining momentum, and I think a lot of it is due to how she's managed her career. I just love this quote she made a few years back:

When you're a young actor, there's this pressure to rush. But I hope to be doing this into my sixties and seventies, so I'd prefer to take my time. There's so much of a desire in the entertainment industry for newness, a desire to build somebody up and then treat them as old news within six months. I think you'd be naive if you didn't try to hold on to your own way of doing things.

Does anyone else want to give her a hearty pat on the back for showing such good judgment? Actresses, especially those who it big super young, have a harder time keeping the ball rolling after a certain age. Jones, who's been acting since she was 13, has wisely acted for the sake of acting (not achieving megastardom), took a break to go to college, selected mostly big parts in small movies or TV appearances, and is now achieving mainstream success in her early 30s which, by Hollywood's unfair standards, can be the twilight of most young actresses' careers. Because she was the never the under-25 "It Girl" or the inescapable ingenue, Jones never had to worry about bridging the gap. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones enjoys a nice, long career that, while maybe not red-hot, at least won't fade away overnight. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree. I think they should have used another "It Girl" because McAdams has been on record saying she consciously took a break from acting and that she herself never even thought or wanted to be a big star outside of Canada. She was probably turned off by playing the game too much as well.

It's not to say the writer is completely wrong as I think there is a dearth of interesting roles for women of all ages particularly WOCs and women over 40. I don't think McAdams is the best case study even for her age group.

I think Amy Adams would be a better case study for that age group.  I really think she's someone who got screwed over by when she came to fame. If Enchanted had hit in 1997 instead of 2007, I think her career would have looked very, very different.

I mean, it's not to say that she isn't famous, but she never hit unquestioned, A-list level movie stardom. And she totally could have done it.

As for the "rush"...yeah, Kristen Bell got into this big rush in the few years after Veronica Mars ended, and she basically screwed herself by making so many terrible romantic comedies. I think she really did just take whatever she could, and unfortunately her choices for movies weren't that good. I do think she's been smart to get back into television as well as reviving Veronica Mars, but she did some big damage to her movie prospects.

Someone once theorized that Kristen took so many shitty movies so she could fund a Veronica Mars movie. Maybe they were right. LOL.

I remember back at TWOP, someone theorized that it wasn't just how crappy the romcoms were, but just Kristen Bell herself. Even though she looks like she should be the romcom heroine, she just isn't an optimist at heart, and playing the plucky heroine just felt fake. There's this brittle edge to her.

It's similar to why Nicole Kidman and Angelina Jolie just could never do the romcom thing successfully- they have this edge, and in Nicole's case, an iciness.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

I'm a big Veronica Mars fan, but, unfortunately, Kristen Bell's movie career never interested me in the slightest. I'm not one of those people who hate all romcoms or anything, either. I kind of wish more romantic comedies were being made today, but she picked a lot of movies that even I'm not going to watch. And I went to see Killers in the cinema for Katherine Heigl!

Any thoughts on how Grace of Monaco going to straight to television in the US will have on Nicole Kidman's career? She's obviously incredibly talented and she takes fairly risky projects, so I'm sure she'll be fine, but it's an interesting situation nonetheless. The movie performed kind of okay internationally; $26.5 million according to box office mojo.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=graceofmonaco.htm

Edited by manbearpig

I think Amy Adams would be a better case study for that age group.  I really think she's someone who got screwed over by when she came to fame. If Enchanted had hit in 1997 instead of 2007, I think her career would have looked very, very different.

I mean, it's not to say that she isn't famous, but she never hit unquestioned, A-list level movie stardom. And she totally could have done it.

I agree. It's harder than it used to be for an over 30 actress to break out and become an unquestioned A-list star. Some of the roles that made Sandra Bullock a star after she broke out in the 90s are almost non-existent now. 

I mean, it's not to say that she isn't famous, but she never hit unquestioned, A-list level movie stardom. And she totally could have done it.

I have to disagree. I think Amy Adams is actually an exception to the over 30 crowd and is a no doubt A-lister right now. She annually appears in Oscar bait as well as more commercially popular films such as Night at the Museum and the new Superman movies. Also, she's had staying power since Junebug really put her on the map. (Although to me, she will always be Leslie Miller from Drop Dead Gorgeous.). I think she's a bigger star now than back in 2007 with Enchanted.

• Love 1

Yeah, but how many of those roles are actually Amy Addams vehicles? The exception being Big Eyes, she's almost always the supporting character to the leads, after she had her failed attempt at becoming American's Sweetheart with the string of romcoms she did after Enchanted.

It's not to say she's not a big star, but you don't get people saying, "Oh, that's an Amy Addams movie", as opposed to "Oh, that's a Jennifer Lawrence movie." I think her fame is most comparable to Julianne Moore- high respected (finally got her damn Oscar!), plenty of work, but she was never Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts in terms of the fame and being able to command vehicle movies just for her.

(edited)

It's not to say she's not a big star, but you don't get people saying, "Oh, that's an Amy Addams movie", as opposed to "Oh, that's a Jennifer Lawrence movie."

The thing is, that's what people say now about JL projects but Hunger Games and X-Men were the vehicles that got her wide spread appeal, not the other way around, while Winter's Bone got her the critical praise. Her DOR movies are chalk full of other stars and kind of hyped to high heaven and to be honest it's only after all the buzz about her I checked any of her movies out to see what the fuss was about. Well, HG and XM, I have my own issues with the DOR films that have nothing to do with Lawrence. To me the coming up DOR film Joy is the first one that is being made as a JL film. (I mean the only plot it started with is JL is playing the woman who created the Miracle Mop. That screams a vehicle that they think the cast will sell. Now, more stuff is being added to the story but I'm kind of skeptical about how this film will do. ) JL has at least 10 projects linked to her now for the future and I'm really curious about how they will turn out without HG, XM or DOR also in the background.

Of course I guess going back to the original point, some of this is a chicken or egg question; so you see the movie or the actor when these projects come out?

Edited by raezen

Yeah, but how many of those roles are actually Amy Addams vehicles? The exception being Big Eyes, she's almost always the supporting character to the leads, after she had her failed attempt at becoming American's Sweetheart with the string of romcoms she did after Enchanted.

It's not to say she's not a big star, but you don't get people saying, "Oh, that's an Amy Addams movie", as opposed to "Oh, that's a Jennifer Lawrence movie." I think her fame is most comparable to Julianne Moore- high respected (finally got her damn Oscar!), plenty of work, but she was never Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts in terms of the fame and being able to command vehicle movies just for her.

Well, it's a question of priorities too, isn't it? I mean, I don't know about Amy Adams specifically, but I'm sure that there are plenty of actresses who, if given the choice, would rather have Julianne Moore's career than Julia Roberts' or Sandra Bullock's.

I watched the Orphan Black season 3 premiere on Sat, and I hope that after OB Tatiana Maslany continues to get great roles that showcase her talent. She really does a fantastic job in something that I had initially thought sounded pretty hokey.

After seeing the new Fantastic Four trailer, I really want it to be a hit, just because I want great things to continue to happen for Miles Teller and Michael B Jordan.  They are both just so insanely talented and charismatic, and I would love for both of them to have a bonafide hit under their belt, so that they can keep having the freedom to still do smaller movies if they so choose.  

• Love 5

I watched the Orphan Black season 3 premiere on Sat, and I hope that after OB Tatiana Maslany continues to get great roles that showcase her talent. She really does a fantastic job in something that I had initially thought sounded pretty hokey.

I love Tatiana in OB. I remember reading a few months back that she was up the lead in a Star Wars spinoff film, but that role ending up going to Felicity Jones.

Edited by Chrissytd

After seeing the new Fantastic Four trailer, I really want it to be a hit, just because I want great things to continue to happen for Miles Teller and Michael B Jordan.  They are both just so insanely talented and charismatic, and I would love for both of them to have a bonafide hit under their belt, so that they can keep having the freedom to still do smaller movies if they so choose.  

I really like Michael B. Jordon but the more I read about Miles Teller the more I dislike him.  He's been quoted saying he only knew JK Simmons from insurance commercials before arriving to the Whiplash set and he shit-talked Divergent, saying it made him "feel dead inside" and he only did it for "business reasons."  Short of actual torture on set, no actor should ever talk shit about a film they're in.  It's paying your bills, STFU.

• Love 1

He's been quoted saying he only knew JK Simmons from insurance commercials before arriving to the Whiplash set and he shit-talked Divergent, saying it made him "feel dead inside" and he only did it for "business reasons."

Okay, unless I'm wrong here, even the Twilight cast waited for the last movie until they said anything about the films. That is just bad business.

• Love 1

Okay, unless I'm wrong here, even the Twilight cast waited for the last movie until they said anything about the films. That is just bad business.

Nope. Pattinson was really subtle, but he repeatedly threw shade at those films. One of the reasons I loved his interviews when the first few came out.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Admittedly, Teller has tried to back-pedal those statements and re-contextualize them.  But that any of those words left his mouth in front of an interviewer rubs me the wrong way, regardless of context.

Nope. Pattinson was really subtle, but he repeatedly threw shade at those films. One of the reasons I love his interviews when the first few came out.

Okay, contradicting what I just said in my previous post, I did kind of love that Pattinson clearly knew the Twilight films were shit and tried to distance himself.  Generally I take the view of "don't bite the hand that feeds you" but I make some exceptions.  Also, Pattinson had the decency (and intelligence) to be subtle about it.

• Love 1

My view of Miles Teller is that he's likely arrogant and snarky, although I've seen much more. At this point his talent is such that I can forgive little minor jackasshattery, but that depends on whether or not he goes into Shia LeBeauf mode. (Talk about a guy who just threw away a potential A-List career for being an asshole.)

He's 27 though, so I can't really go with the "he's just really young" excuse like I did for Ian Somerhalder's really annoying commentary on the Rules of Attraction DVD. He was still in his early 20's there and he seems to have matured greatly since.

Edited by methodwriter85

My view of Miles Teller is that he's likely arrogant and snarky, although I've seen much more. At this point his talent is such that I can forgive little minor jackasshattery, but that depends on whether or not he goes into Shia LeBeauf mode. (Talk about a guy who just threw away a potential A-List career for being an asshole.)

He's 27 though, so I can't really go with the "he's just really young" excuse like I did for Ian Somerhalder's really annoying commentary on the Rules of Attraction DVD. He was still in his early 20's there and he seems to have matured greatly since.

I wonder if that was, in any way, influenced by prolonged exposure to Michael Bay.

• Love 1

Nope. Pattinson was really subtle, but he repeatedly threw shade at those films. One of the reasons I love his interviews when the first few came out.

Ah, well nobody does subtle like the Brits. I don't think I paid much attention to him until his unsubtle responses at the end of the Twilight's run when he would be asked if he'd do more movies and he pretty much shouted no.

• Love 1