Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Six Thanksgivings

• Start Topic

It took me 40 minutes into the episode to realize that each segment was its own story. I was wondering why the William/Jessie stuff was taking forever. It did make it easier for me to mute that segment while I did other things. I can't say I care for William or Jessie stuff. 

What did I like? I did like the Miguel stuff, both past and present. It was nice to meet his kids, and we get names for them! Andy as an adult reminds me of season 1 Kevin. It was nice to hear someone call out the Pearsons, though. It was super great to see characters not in love with the Pearsons. Too bad it was really to prop the Pearsons up. 

Who is the actress who plays Amber?  She looks so familiar. 

I liked...um....actually, I did like the Kate/Tess scenes. This is the first ever time Kate has had a one-on-one scene with any of her nieces so it was nice to see. I also liked Tess coming out to Kate.

I got pissed off at the Randall stuff because of him. I liked the Beth and Jae-won stuff if Randall wasn't there to be...Randall. He is so ill-equipped to be a politician and his segment was proof of that. 

The Vietnam stuff is a hit or miss with me. This episode was kind of a miss. So, mysterious necklace Vietnamese lady had a kid that Jack saved. OF COURSE. 

The Kate/Toby end scene sucked with Kate blabbing about Jack Pearson magic. 

I missed Kevin. You'd think for Kevin's first sober anniversary, the show would have liked to address it in more than a cameo on an iPad. 

Also, since I was zoning out at points, what is the meaning of the title of this episode? Because if they said, I missed it.

• Love 19

I was underwhelmed. I liked the Toby parts, Randall’s college essay, and Miguel standing up for Rebecca. The rest felt like filler. 

Negatives:

1) no Kevin (the two seconds didn’t count)

2) the whole Vietnam stuff feels like it’s going nowhere

3) Randall/Beth/Campaign manager drama seemed introduced but zero resolution 

4) William is boring as hell. William and Jesse are even more boring.

Everything else was filler to me.

2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, since I was zoning out at points, what is the meaning of the title of this episode? Because if they said, I missed i

Randall voiceover at the end- number of people he estimates he had met by that point of his life.

I mean it was an okay episode but lately I’ve just been noticing that the timeline of this show is taking me out of things a lot. Like I thought Kevin broke his leg after Valentine’s Day because wasn’t it after Rebecca and Jack had their big fight and he got over   drinking?but he had the crutches now and it’s November. I mean maybe it wasn’t and the time of that was different..  but I’m lost. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3

Annie wins favorite Pearson award tonight. Loved her setting up the Teddy Bear Kevin with a Pilgrim Rick hat and her excited "Grandpa!" when Miguel walked in. It really does make me sad that the girls don't have Jack in their lives. It was nice to see Kate actually talk to one of her nieces this time. The Big 3 are way nicer to Miguel than his own kids are.

5 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Who is the actress who plays Amber?  She looks so familiar. 

Rafael's sister from Jane the Virgin.

New guess - "she" is Future Tess's ex-wife/girlfriend.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I mean it was an okay episode but lately I’ve just been noticing that the timeline of this show is taking me out of things a lot. Like I thought Kevin broke his leg after Valentine’s Day because wasn’t it after Rebecca and Jack had their big fight and he got over   drinking?but he had the crutches now and it’s November.

Well, Jack died....in January, right? And Kevin's leg was almost out of its cast by then. So Kevin would have just broken his leg right before this episode in order for it to be out of its cast by the end of January.

2 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

As much as the show tries to cram Jack's and William's nauseating perfection down our throats, I think the real suffering saint is Miguel. His wife left him. His best friend died. His biological adult children are absolute shitstains. The Pearson adult children are bratty assholes to him too. He has to exist in the shadow of Jack and know that he’s second-place to Rebecca. To top it off, he's hated by most fans for essentially no reason.

At least Annie gave him a delighted hug and called him Grandpa. Further proof little Annie is the best.

True that, although Kevin has formed a much better relationship with Miguel over the past year. But yeah, Miguel's a saint for dealing with so much crap over the years. Good on Miguel for standing up for Rebecca, who has done nothing wrong in this situation. 

• Love 17
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, Jack died....in January, right? And Kevin's leg was almost out of its cast by then. So Kevin would have just broken his leg right before this episode in order for it to be out of its cast by the end of January.

True that, although Kevin has formed a much better relationship with Miguel over the past year. But yeah, Miguel's a saint for dealing with so much crap over the years. Good on Miguel for standing up for Rebecca, who has done nothing wrong in this situation. 

I don’t know. I’m confused on the timeline as I thought Jack died in February. It had to be either February or January. 

But.. did the Valentine’s Day blow

Up happen the year before Kevin broke his leg? I thought it all happened in the same year.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Why am I thinking Tess's girlfriend is going to be deja ? Is deja adopted by Randall and beth  ? I can't keep up 

God I had the same thought. I think the adoption's not finalized? Not sure. I only have room for one vaguely-but-not-really incestuous couple on my Tuesday night and Westallen's already claimed it.

• Love 7
Just now, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t know. I’m confused on the timeline as I thought Jack died in February. It had to be either February or January. 

Up happen the year before Kevin broke his leg? I thought it all happened in the same year.

Jack died at the end of January. I remember that there was a winter dance, so Kevin broke his leg in November, clearly before Thanksgiving. 

4 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Why am I thinking Tess's girlfriend is going to be deja ? Is deja adopted by Randall and beth  ? I can't keep up 

Deja should be adopted by Randall and Beth by now, or they're still in the process. I doubt that's the case. That would be TOO much, even for this show. 

• Love 3
Just now, Armchair Critic said:

What kind of phone was Miguel talking on with his ex wife when he walked into the Pearsons? Back then I only remember car phones.

1997, so a cell phone is a possibility. My dad had a very thick flip phone at the time. And if Saved by the Bell has taught us anything, it's that cell phones have existed since the 80s.

3 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

So February of 97 or maybe 96 the Valentine's Day thing happened and then in 98 Superbowl Sunday Jack died. I feel like in season 1 the Big 3 were 15 and I know they were 17 when Jack died.

• Love 7

Yeah, it’s a confusing timeline. I thought all that stuff happened in one year. 

Again this episode was okay but I really feel they are struggling with keeping me interested in the actual story.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 5

I feel like recent episodes are trying to cram in too many storylines.  Could have done without William and Jessie tonight.

Liked Miguel standing up for Rebecca to his kids, and can’t understand why they seemed to blame Rebecca for their parents divorce.  Loved Annie this episode!

i liked the Tess storyline but was a bit taken out of it because I feel like she’s a bit young for it.  Last year’s Halloween episode established that she was born Halloween 2008, so she just turned 10.  My son also just turned 10 so I remember being surprised at that because she seems to be written older, more like a 12-13 year old.  Kate did reference being about her age and 12 when she got her first period, so maybe I’m remembering Tess’ birth year wrong.

• Love 4

How did I miss that Tess was gay to begin with?

I haven't been a big Miguel supporter but I highly enjoyed laying down the smack down on his kids.  Rebecca didn't deserve that at all.  I guess the slow exposition of Miguel being there at the "right place at the right time" and being reminded he's no Jack helped his characterization. 

At least we know where the necklace came from which means most of our guesses were wrong and it was simply a token of appreciation.  Kevin is for a surprise when it turns out it's nothing more "thanks for patching up my kid!" 

Randall and Beth?  Loved them in season 1.  Can barely care for them now. 

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

What kind of phone was Miguel talking on with his ex wife when he walked into the Pearsons? Back then I only remember car phones.

I noticed that too.   There were flip phones in 1997, but those were bulkier.   

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Kremit said:

Liked Miguel standing up for Rebecca to his kids, and can’t understand why they seemed to blame Rebecca for their parents divorce.

I wonder if Miguel’s ex wife made a huge deal about him spending holidays with the Pearsons and the kids were too young/impressionable to realize otherwise he likely would have been alone since he wasn’t with their mom anymore. Overtime they started thinking Miguel and Rebecca had something inappropriate going on. 

But by now..... grow up.

I also like to think Miguel had the nerve to stand up to them then because Beth had given him a text-pep talk before they went.

27 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

1997, so a cell phone is a possibility. My dad had a very thick flip phone at the time. And if Saved by the Bell has taught us anything, it's that cell phones have existed since the 80s.

Whoa whoa, whoa.  I'm almost 100% certain Zack didn't get his phone until the 90s.  Good Morning Miss Bliss started in the late 80s, but there's no way he had a cellphone in that first year.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

I couldn't understand *ANY* of Nicky's story.  Can somebody recap?   And also, why did he refuse to help the kid at first?  I missed allllllll of that.  (Seriously, @Jaclyn88.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.)

23 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

How did I miss that Tess was gay to begin with?

The "Previously on This is Us" scenes included one where Tess seemed to instinctively understand that William was bi or gay.

For anyone interested, I heard that the last song was "42" by Mumford and Sons.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Whoa whoa, whoa.  I'm almost 100% certain Zack didn't get his phone until the 90s.  Good Morning Miss Bliss started in November 1988, but there's no way he had a cellphone in that first year.

I couldn't understand *ANY* of Nicky's story.  Can somebody recap? 

I felt like Nicky's whole story was one big mumble . I kept making the volume louder but still couldn't hear him . 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

There were cell phones in 1997/1998. I got my first Nokia in 1999 and I wasn’t the first kid in my class to get a phone. Everyone didn’t gave one but many adults did. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

There were cell phones in 1997/1998. I got my first Nokia in 1999 and I wasn’t the first kid in my class to get a phone. Everyone didn’t gave one but many adults did. 

We still were carrying a pager for work back then, guess I was behind the times.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Kremit said:

I feel like recent episodes are trying to cram in too many storylines.  Could have done without William and Jessie tonight.

Liked Miguel standing up for Rebecca to his kids, and can’t understand why they seemed to blame Rebecca for their parents divorce.  Loved Annie this episode!

i liked the Tess storyline but was a bit taken out of it because I feel like she’s a bit young for it.  Last year’s Halloween episode established that she was born Halloween 2008, so she just turned 10.  My son also just turned 10 so I remember being surprised at that because she seems to be written older, more like a 12-13 year old.  Kate did reference being about her age and 12 when she got her first period, so maybe I’m remembering Tess’ birth year wrong.

Many girls get their periods at 10 so I think it fits. The actress I think is almost 13 so that’s probably you’re thinking Tess is older than 10. 

I do understand what you’re saying though. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Armchair Critic said:

Why is Jack's brother being such an ass?

He's basically a non-violent person, per Jack's spider story to the commanding officer.  He's had to tend to horrific wounds as a medic, and he said he didn't want to help the little kid who would grow up to kill Americans.  Plus, he's been abusing drugs.  He's a mess.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Why is Jack's brother being such an ass?

8 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Nicky was a medic.  He didn't want to treat the boy because of his mistrust of the Vietnamese in general, which he explained  to Jack, concerning his first commanding officer who was friendly with villagers and trusted an old woman, who ended up targeting him for death by her Vietcong brother.  He also explained how scared he was at first, how soldiers in his unit were ragging on him, and how that commanding officer showed them graphically by killing a chicken that they better hope Nicky the medic would feel disposed to helping them if they ever got wounded.  He's very embittered by having to take care of catastrophic injuries carried out by the enemy. 

My DVR said the episode’s title was “Six Thanksgivings,” not “18,615” so that hepled lessen the confusion of the multiple storylines. 

Miguel’s adult children suck. Why invite him if you can barely stand him (despite Miguel’s pity invite excuse)? If they’ve been estranged for the better part of 20 years, why bother?

• Love 18
47 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Tess crushing on Deja was my first thought.

50 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I had the same thought but then I thought I read that "her" is someone we already know.

How long was Kate upstairs with Tess for Toby to ruin dinner and order takeout?

And to not hear the noises Toby obviously made. I know it's a two story house but if Toby was having a disastrous time in the kitchen some noises had to have reached upstairs. 

I wouldn't blame Jae-Won if he quits. 

As for Miguel kids, just text "Happy Thanksgiving, Dad" and be miserable alone. 

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 9

If my memory serves me this is the third Thanksgiving episode in three years.   I wonder if there’s any other TV show that was able to have three very different thanksgiving episodes in there first three years?  They really packed a lot of Thanksgivings during many decades and every major character was featured in a important Thanksgiving in their life.  Amazing writing feat in an episode that is less than one hour.

I was surprised that Miguel’s daughter and Son-in-law could adopt a boy from China?  I thought that Chinese parents still preferred males and adopted out their female children because there was still a one child law. Has the law changed in China? I suppose the child could come from Korea or somewhere else in Asia but I thought Americans were able to adopt infants from China because the law created a incentive to to give up girl babies so their one child could be a boy.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Arcadiasw said:

Tess crushing on Deja was my first thought.

I didn't think of that. Well that would fit with "her" being someone we know...though ending up with her foster sister who then ends up in some mystery situation that makes Tess not "not ready" to see her is a little too soap opera for me.

• Love 3

Well, this Thanksgiving I'm grateful for Team TeenPearson, who surprised & delighted their parents -- and me -- with their giggling camaraderie.  Wow, but I love those kids, and Milo & Mandy with them!

The rest of it was this season's tick-a-box drama that is boring me & turning me into a giant ball of crab.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

If my memory serves me this is the third Thanksgiving episode in three years.   I wonder if there’s any other TV show that was able to have three very different thanksgiving episodes in there first three years?  They really packed a lot of Thanksgivings during many decades and every major character was featured in a important Thanksgiving in their life.  Amazing writing feat in an episode that is less than one hour.

I was surprised that Miguel’s daughter and Son-in-law could adopt a boy from China?  I thought that Chinese parents still preferred males and adopted out their female children because there was still a one child law. Has the law changed in China? I suppose the child could come from Korea or somewhere else in Asia but I thought Americans were able to adopt infants from China because the law created a incentive to to give up girl babies so their one child could be a boy.

The child may not be Chinese. Also children with disabilities or special needs are available for adoption regardless of gender. A woman I know just adopted her son from China, he has achondroplasia (spelling) dwarfism like her husband. 

The “one child” policy in China was eliminated in 2015- FYI. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Kira53 said:

Not sure about the one-child thing these days, but my friend has three kids adopted from China (plus two bio kids and multiple pets; their house is crazytown). The first was a girl who they brought home at about 18 months old (she's 11 now). The other two came home at age 6 and 7 (now 13 and 14), both boys adopted at the same time but from two different areas of the country. They all have varying special needs (though their daughter was too young for most of her issues to be noticeable at first), and the boys were older, which I'm guessing is a factor. (I don't know the details, but I believe the rules on adoptions were tightened up somewhat after they adopted their daughter, but the fact that they had already adopted made it easier for them to adopt again after that. As it was, they had to wait until she turned 30 to even apply in the first place.)

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

And to not hear the noises Toby obviously made. I know it's a two story house but if Toby was having a disastrous time in the kitchen some noises had to have reached upstairs. 

It bothered me that Tess screamed at the top of her lungs when Toby saw her in the hall and yet Kate couldn't hear it.

I'm jealous of these big houses.

• Love 8