Type keyword(s) to search

Former DCCs: Where They've Gone & What They're Doing

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I had actually asked for some info from this college way back when because I was really interested in their horsemanship/teaching courses.  I was really sad to hear that they'd not only been denied accreditation, but closed their doors permanently as I'd wanted to take classes there at one point.  Never happened obviously, but it could have happened at one point.

For some reason, I was thinking Meredith Manor International Equestrian Center, but that's in West Virginia, not Kentucky.  There's also the Savannah College of Art and Design in Georgia, Baylor, Auburn and a host of other schools.  Some teach English riding and associated styles and others teach Western and associated styles.  I'll stop there to avoid derailing the conversation any more than I already have, but if anyone wants to PM me to talk horses, riding, and all things associated, I'm your girl.  I could talk about horses all day AND all night.  No, I did NOT grow out of my love for horses, they just outgrew my budget.

I suspect that Kitty told her that she (Kitty) always knew that her son was too good for Olivia and that he needed more than she could give him among other things.  I suspect that Kitty disapproved of Olivia for taking HER son away from her and that Olivia deserved everything she got from him.  I also suspect that not once did Kitty say ANYTHING about how wrong of him it was, both morally and legally, for him to step out on Olivia at any point during their relationship.  If so, that reflects on HER for not teaching him and guiding him to a better place, to be respectful of the woman he was with and to be respectful of, and honest towards, the woman HE chose as well as their relationship as a whole and the relationships other women may have been in at the time.  If he can't respect the woman he's with and their relationship, it's highly unlikely that he's going to respect the relationship that another woman is in.

I once dumped a boyfriend who didn't tell me he was married until a year into the relationship (and he only gave me ONE hint at the beginning of it all).  As soon as I found out, I dumped his ass as fast as I could, deleted him out of my phone and emails, and gave him the cold shoulder the last time I saw him.  I realized he was bad news and could drag me into deeper, murkier waters than I wanted to be in.  There were some other issues with this relationship (including a brush with things that could have landed me in legal, financial or both, hot water if I got tangled up in it) and I was glad to get out of it.  I just wish it was as easy for other women as it was for me.

There was a pretty well sourced rumor going around that Kitty was telling other people Olivia was gone too much at the beginning of their marriage and should have been around more — you know, the years she was a DCC.

Kind of like the whole scenario with Milan and why can’t you do 70 things at once.

• Love 2

I listened to Milan's interview.  I respect Milan for putting her education first.  The comments on dieting are alarming for sure.   I hate to think of anyone staying on these diets but models, dancers, actresses, etc all go on crash diets for photo shoots and auditions.  It's not just DCC.  

Her comments on where she was in the triangle and being one of the best dancers...........I don't agree with.  Milan is cute but not glamorous at all.  She was not in show group because she put her school first which as I said I admire.  However, she was good not one of the best dancers and without being in show group should not have expected to be in the front.  She came across as being entitled.  You have to think you're one of the best to get you through these auditions but she is not "the best dancer."  It sounded to me like her second year she expected everything.  To do better in school she should have accepted she may not get the best spots in the triangle.

She was not so young compared to the rest.  There was Maddie who I guarantee is less worldly than Milan.  Milan would talk about not drinking when she went out with friends her freshman year spring semester.  She clearly was underage then and made it sound like she would have been drinking if not for DCC.  Maddie is not going out drinking.  There may have been 40 year old trying out but not making the team.  There were other young girls on the team 20 or 21 or so.

She signed a contract for the second season knowing what she was getting into because she did a year.  She got out of it early.  How is that different than the others that get criticized?  She came across to me as expecting praise during rehearsals.  i taught trial advocacy schools and we tell people we are not going to praise them we are there for constructive criticism.  A few comments of praise in private to keep people's spirits up but no one gets better on praise alone.  The dances on this board can correct me but I never thought any dancing company did a lot of praise.  I gave up a lot of social life for good grades in college and did not expect people to clap for me.  I had to work part time and missed sorority events and other social outings because of work, studying, and school.

Looking at who she was on the team with there could have been mean girls but a lot of sweet girls also.  I wish her good luck but once she complained she did not move up enough in the triangle she lost me.  Brooke Sorenson one of my all time favs with more pizzaz than Milan ever had was not far up in the triangle.  

• Love 10

Listening to the podcast was interesting and not surprising. 

Milan definitely sounded grounded and did not drink the DCC Kool aid. 

Wonder if DCC will eventually provide more pay and benefits especially during the busy part of the contract.

• Love 5

If you can make it on this team for over two years, you are a rockstar. I would be one of the girls like Milan that left after year 2 because it doesn’t get any better if you’re not a favorite. It all makes sense now.   What really struck me in this whole podcast was the fact that she mentioned you do not text or email or even look at K and J.    It’s been alluded to before, but now it seems true. Where there’s smoke...

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Lexusprincess said:

I listened to Milan's interview.  I respect Milan for putting her education first.  The comments on dieting are alarming for sure.   I hate to think of anyone staying on these diets but models, dancers, actresses, etc all go on crash diets for photo shoots and auditions.  It's not just DCC.  

Her comments on where she was in the triangle and being one of the best dancers...........I don't agree with.  Milan is cute but not glamorous at all.  She was not in show group because she put her school first which as I said I admire.  However, she was good not one of the best dancers and without being in show group should not have expected to be in the front.  She came across as being entitled.  You have to think you're one of the best to get you through these auditions but she is not "the best dancer."  It sounded to me like her second year she expected everything.  To do better in school she should have accepted she may not get the best spots in the triangle.

She was not so young compared to the rest.  There was Maddie who I guarantee is less worldly than Milan.  Milan would talk about not drinking when she went out with friends her freshman year spring semester.  She clearly was underage then and made it sound like she would have been drinking if not for DCC.  Maddie is not going out drinking.  There may have been 40 year old trying out but not making the team.  There were other young girls on the team 20 or 21 or so.

She signed a contract for the second season knowing what she was getting into because she did a year.  She got out of it early.  How is that different than the others that get criticized?  She came across to me as expecting praise during rehearsals.  i taught trial advocacy schools and we tell people we are not going to praise them we are there for constructive criticism.  A few comments of praise in private to keep people's spirits up but no one gets better on praise alone.  The dances on this board can correct me but I never thought any dancing company did a lot of praise.  I gave up a lot of social life for good grades in college and did not expect people to clap for me.  I had to work part time and missed sorority events and other social outings because of work, studying, and school.

Looking at who she was on the team with there could have been mean girls but a lot of sweet girls also.  I wish her good luck but once she complained she did not move up enough in the triangle she lost me.  Brooke Sorenson one of my all time favs with more pizzaz than Milan ever had was not far up in the triangle.  

Those were my thoughts as I was listening too. What did she think she was getting into?  I also thought she seemed condescending to her teammates who weren’t in college. She didn’t seem to fit in and seemed to prefer her sorority sisters over her DCC sisters. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, KatieC said:

Those were my thoughts as I was listening too. What did she think she was getting into?  I also thought she seemed condescending to her teammates who weren’t in college. She didn’t seem to fit in and seemed to prefer her sorority sisters over her DCC sisters. 

Just like Kitty was condescending to Milan about college and not wanting to try out for Show Group aka you think you are too good for SG. I believe Milan a lot more than TPTB or the we all are one big happy family TPTB wants the fans and viewers to think is true. I applaud Milan for speaking about what really happens behind close doors especially after hearing about certain mean girls on the squad and what is going on with Victoria. The real truth is coming out, and it is not pretty.

DCC preys in women who are 1) insecure and 2) don’t Really have other options. The surprises who leave early are always the girls who have better options, and the self awarenesses and self confidence to know they don’t need to be harassed and belittled to be successful.

Mary, Sam, Milan, Nicole, Mandy, Melissa, Amy T, Meghan — these are all “rockstar” women that people were so sure would be five year girls or point or group one leaders, and then they are suddenly out. It’s not a coincidence that they were also some of the best dancers with the best educations and best careers the squad has seen in a while.

I think Milan was spot on with her conclusion that favorite play a bigger role in the positions in the field than talent. The last two regular point girls should have never had that roll based on dancing, size or looks (at least in DCC terms).

15 minutes ago, KatieC said:

Listen if you aren’t in college, you are supposed to be working 40 hours a week. DCC sets that expectation, not Milan. She probably assumed she was getting into actually what the DCC continuously try and sell people that it is.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Lolfordays said:

DCC preys in women who are 1) insecure and 2) don’t Really have other options. The surprises who leave early are always the girls who have better options, and the self awarenesses and self confidence to know they don’t need to be harassed and belittled to be successful.

Mary, Sam, Milan, Nicole, Mandy, Melissa, Amy T, Meghan — these are all “rockstar” women that people were so sure would be five year girls or point or group one leaders, and then they are suddenly out. It’s not a coincidence that they were also some of the best dancers with the best educations and best careers the squad has seen in a while.

I think Milan was spot on with her conclusion that favorite play a bigger role in the positions in the field than talent. The last two regular point girls should have never had that roll based on dancing, size or looks (at least in DCC terms).

Listen if you aren’t in college, you are supposed to be working 40 hours a week. DCC sets that expectation, not Milan. She probably assumed she was getting into actually what the DCC continuously try and sell people that it is.

Nicole Hamilton and Nicole B. were both five year girls.

TPTB want the girls to give up their lives to live and breathe being a DCC. They go on and on about how proud they are about the girls who are going to college and/or graduated from college, but they use the fact as a selling point to make the organization look good.

3 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Nicole Hamilton and Nicole B. were both five year girls.

TPTB want the girls to give up their lives to live and breathe being a DCC. They go on and on about how proud they are about the girls who are going to college and/or graduated from college, but they use the fact as a selling point to make the organization look good.

You are right — I was picturing Ashley Nicole!

• Love 1

Ashley Nicole was the one with a knee injury right? Was on the squad for three years?

I also miss Maggie and Robin. Two outstanding DCCs who I thought were the total package. At least they have Amy and Heather this year to help the younger girls out.

How they can balance college/work alongside DCC, I'll never know. Those who have a career or are in school have to miss out on appearances and DCC opportunities so are seen in a negative light by Kelli. They want strong, confident, educated women but only those who will give everything up for the year to be part of the team.

I'm rewatching season 7, when Danielle and Carisa made the team. Both mention working in retail/waitressing and K+J turn their noses up. They're just trying to get part-time work that allows them to work during the day but still have enough time to practice. Kelsey is working full-time and looks tired all the time. Getting 2-4 hours sleep a day is not healthy yet they want super fit, healty women on the squad? 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, DCC-UK said:

How they can balance college/work alongside DCC, I'll never know. Those who have a career or are in school have to miss out on appearances and DCC opportunities so are seen in a negative light by Kelli. They want strong, confident, educated women but only those who will give everything up for the year to be part of the team.

I'm rewatching season 7, when Danielle and Carisa made the team. Both mention working in retail/waitressing and K+J turn their noses up. They're just trying to get part-time work that allows them to work during the day but still have enough time to practice. Kelsey is working full-time and looks tired all the time. Getting 2-4 hours sleep a day is not healthy yet they want super fit, healty women on the squad? 

What was Victoria doing last year during TC? I bet she did not have a part or full time job. Cassie was going to school or taking a few classes without working. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Courtney in Season 9? left a full time job so she could focus on making the team, but she left after one year. To me that speaks volumes. Why the heck would you leave a job in order to sign your entire life over to an organization who treats you like crap.

I applaud Milan for her honesty and a little sad at the criticism she is getting here. Milan admitted to being a naive college freshman when she started the process and really didn't know what she was getting herself into. I do think it's a reasonable expectation to expect your Year 2 to go easier than your Year 1. After your first year you know the expectation, you already know the majority of the dances and so forth; yet it doesn't seem to get better unless you're a favorite and it's pretty clear she wasn't. 

Her revealing the backroom dynamics is far more damning to the DCC than Milan believing she deserved more recognition than she received. Maybe she was the best---maybe she wasn't; either way, she felt under valued, under appreciated and it took it's toll on her. 

I'm glad Milan prioritized her college education over the DCC. The DCC gives you decent enough connections, but Milan clearly landed on her feet with something way more valuable. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Runnergrl37 said:

If you can make it on this team for over two years, you are a rockstar. I would be one of the girls like Milan that left after year 2 because it doesn’t get any better if you’re not a favorite. It all makes sense now.   What really struck me in this whole podcast was the fact that she mentioned you do not text or email or even look at K and J.    It’s been alluded to before, but now it seems true. Where there’s smoke...

Can we collectively apologize to Jenna for making fun of her goinh to Shelley who was supposed to be more approachable instead of going to Kelli to ask for point, considering that it seems like they’re not supposed to contact them?

• LOL 4
  • Love 10

What Milan was looking for and what she got at the DCC, were two different things. Milan was expecting two fairy godmothers, but instead she got two managers who put the organisational goals first and the people who achieve these goals second. It’s just like a business, a corporation, where there is no real justice, no real efficiency and politics rule. That’s what I got from listening to Milan’s story. Milan did not connect as others have. No one is going to tell me that KaSexy is an insecure woman and that her friendships with her teammates was makebelieve. Milan was so busy achieving her dreams that she did not stop to smell the roses and find friends. That is part of her advise to others: sure you can achieve your goals but be aware that there are other things in life.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

Can we collectively apologize to Jenna for making fun of her goinh to Shelley who was supposed to be more approachable instead of going to Kelli to ask for point, considering that it seems like they’re not supposed to contact them?

*raising hand* I will now admit I am curious about the whole Holly/Erica/Jenna situation. I am sure Kelli would love for Jenna to send her a text asking her about point girl during the HOF game and performance going on. The gig is up Charlotte, Judy, CMT and Kelli.

2 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

She was a group leader and allowed to contact K&J.  I can see where she was wondering and K&J were out of town, so she went to Shelly.  However, timing wise - I think she should have waited until they were back and then approached them.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Pau84 said:

What Milan was looking for and what she got at the DCC, were two different things. Milan was expecting two fairy godmothers, but instead she got two managers who put the organisational goals first and the people who achieve these goals second. It’s just like a business, a corporation, where there is no real justice, no real efficiency and politics rule. That’s what I got from listening to Milan’s story. Milan did not connect as others have. No one is going to tell me that KaSexy is an insecure woman and that her friendships with her teammates was makebelieve. Milan was so busy achieving her dreams that she did not stop to smell the roses and find friends. That is part of her advise to others: sure you can achieve your goals but be aware that there are other things in life.

I respect your right to your opinion, but I think the message Kelli, Charlotte and Judy make is being a DCC is a right and a privilege, and you better get ready to sign your life over because we will not like it if you do not believe and act like being a DCC is the only thing that matters. Milan realized it is not the be all, end all of the universe to be a DCC first and focusing on college and a life outside DCC Land is second. It would be like if all of us had a job, and the boss told you your family and outside friends are not important, and I expect you to socialize only with your follow co-workers and put on a big freaking happy pretense everything is so fine and dandy at work while we treat you like crap and God help you if you do not end up being a favorite with TPTB. And let us not forget we can find someone who would be happy to take your spot aka you are replaceable.

40 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

I applaud Milan for her honesty and a little sad at the criticism she is getting here. Milan admitted to being a naive college freshman when she started the process and really didn't know what she was getting herself into. I do think it's a reasonable expectation to expect your Year 2 to go easier than your Year 1. After your first year you know the expectation, you already know the majority of the dances and so forth; yet it doesn't seem to get better unless you're a favorite and it's pretty clear she wasn't. 

Her revealing the backroom dynamics is far more damning to the DCC than Milan believing she deserved more recognition than she received. Maybe she was the best---maybe she wasn't; either way, she felt under valued, under appreciated and it took it's toll on her. 

I'm glad Milan prioritized her college education over the DCC. The DCC gives you decent enough connections, but Milan clearly landed on her feet with something way more valuable. 

I agree and I’m glad she spoke up.  It’s like when tiger woods got into the car accident on thanksgiving.  His carefully crafted world came tumbling down in one instant.  These ladies and the organization signed up to be on a reality show and backlash is just part of it.  

I don’t think Milan was condescending when she talked about her school. SMU is a better school than let’s say north Texas and way more demanding. It’s a fact.  

I’m glad Erica spoke up, too.  I was annoyed at her last summer but she was more than likely treated like shit by the organization.  

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Runnergrl37 said:

I’m glad Erica spoke up, too.  I was annoyed at her last summer but she was more than likely treated like shit by the organization.  

I don't feel too sorry for her - she was considered a mean girl while on the squad, broke a rule during the HOF game and then exaggerated the circumstances in her lawsuit.

• Love 4
(edited)
8 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

I don't feel too sorry for her - she was considered a mean girl while on the squad, broke a rule during the HOF game and then exaggerated the circumstances in her lawsuit.

I don’t feel sorry for either.  Just said I’m glad she spoke up. Mean girl or not, the pay is shit. 

Edited by Runnergrl37
  • Love 5

To be honest, I’m not so sure these “mean girls” are to blame to a certain extent at least. These are quite sheltered girls who are brainwashed into thinking being a DCC is something special. They then get into an elit team within this elite team (SG) and Kelli plays favorites to the point that of course affects said favorites. If we can give a pass to VK for lying and disrespecting Jinelle and her boss and give her a second chance (at least according to some), then we can absolutely understand why girls like Jenna and Erica took a wrong turn. Both seemed to move on and I’m happy for them.

• Love 4
(edited)

Kelli and Judy did not put a gun to Jenna and Erica and made them break rules and turn in to toxic mean girls. Yes, they did help create the toxic environment by playing favorites and letting certain girls get away with things, but the girls need to be responsible for their actions. Plus the fact there have been girls who are in SG and do not act like spoiled brats who get away with breaking the rules and play the victim card when their actions and lies catches up to them.

Edited by bigskygirl

Guys, does anyone know or remember how the whole triangle placement for the 2017/2018 season? Was watching a vid on youtube and that someone "claims" was the 2019/2020 squad and then stated that it was actually the 2017/2018 squad as well as 2018/2019 squad (asking because they video'd it from the back and from the back it looked like the current season squad) (think the person is confused which squad it is lol)

42 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Hannah's wedding video.

Can anyone name the DCC performing at the reception in this video? I am having trouble identifying all of them.

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Can anyone name the DCC performing at the reception in this video? I am having trouble identifying all of them.

Ashley Nicole? Rachel, and Morgan.

Edited by bigskygirl
(edited)
4 hours ago, CrazyEve said:

Guys, does anyone know or remember how the whole triangle placement for the 2017/2018 season? Was watching a vid on youtube and that someone "claims" was the 2019/2020 squad and then stated that it was actually the 2017/2018 squad as well as 2018/2019 squad (asking because they video'd it from the back and from the back it looked like the current season squad) (think the person is confused which squad it is lol)

From when they were setting the triangle for 2017/2018, KaShara was point and Kirsten (sp?) and Lacey were right behind her.  Jenna took Kirsten's spot after Canton, if I remember correctly.   KaShara, Maddie, and one other girl whose name I can't remember right now were the triangle for the 2018/2019 squad.  As there IS no 2019/2020 squad at the moment (which is the squad for the upcoming season), we don't know who will be in the triangle yet.

Sorry, my computer is being funky at the moment and behaving badly. 

Edited by EricaShadows

Just listened to Milan's podcast. Very interesting....I'm glad she did the podcast. From the discussion here, I thought there would be a big discussion about her group leaders, but I didn't really get that from the podcast. If anything, it seemed like there's a big disconnect between vets and rookies and different classes, which isn't shocking but definitely goes against the perception that they put out. A few things jumped out: 

- Her complaints about them holding her out as a 4.0 student, while giving her difficulty about it behind the scenes: I 100% believe that the scene happened the way that she states, and it would drive me crazy as well. It's just phony. 

- I get what other people are saying about Milan coming off a bit presumptuous and condescending. I don't think she's arrogant, but she strikes me as one of those people who always thinks that whatever she's doing at the moment is the hardest thing ever, and frankly, those people can be a bit annoying. At the end of the day, people only know what they know, and that's ok, but take her situation and combine it with someone who actually has a real job and isn't being supported by parents, and their training camp was probably 100x more difficult (getting up at 10 am on a weekday is a luxury that most would love to have). With that said, if a student in undergrad (the most free time that many will ever have until retirement) is struggling that much, then it just shows how ridiculous it is that they call it a part-time job. 

- I'm glad that she spoke about the long swimsuit shoot. While she made it clear that it was a lot of fun, requiring people to take that many days off is absolutely absurd for a "part-time job." As she said, for people in school, that much time off can get you a failing grade in a class. Then, for people who work, even if you have the days, in my experience, junior workers get side-eyed when they take that much time off at once. 

- I think Milan is a good dancer, but I don't agree with her perception that she was one of the best dancers or should've been near the front of the formation. Although, I hope we can all stop pretending like everyone doesn't care about their positions in the triangle. Clearly, they care very much. 

Lastly, good for Milan for moving on. She wasn't happy, and she did what's best for her and has definitely landed on her feet. As we've seen, the DCCs will cut a vet or embarrass them on the show in a heartbeat. I think people should honor their contracts if possible, but sometimes, it just doesn't work out, and I don't think she owes them any loyalty. 

• Love 17

It is funny that they announce on the show that all girls try out for show group, and then spend time asking Milan why she didn't try out.  If you want to make it seem like every girl auditions and every girl wants show group, what was the purpose of that scene?  Same thing in Season 7 with Carisa.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

It is funny that they announce on the show that all girls try out for show group, and then spend time asking Milan why she didn't try out.  If you want to make it seem like every girl auditions and every girl wants show group, what was the purpose of that scene?  Same thing in Season 7 with Carisa.

It seems to me that originally everyone did not try out for show group (but maybe that's just my faulty memory). Maybe they now make everyone "try out" for the show (got to make it look good -- just like the "500+" who show up for auditions every year), but off camera can actually say they don't want to be considered for show group.

• Love 3

I just finished listening to the podcast with Milan. The thing that strikes me is that you have to consider that she was a very young woman when she was a DCC. Her life experiences and such as an adult were just starting to happen. I think her perception of some of the things that happened could be due to lack of maturity. She is obviously a smart girl, but maybe she should have waited until after college to try out.  I do realize that there is obviously truth to what she said also related to her experience with the organization. I give her a lot of credit for quitting when she realized it was changing her and impacting her mental health. I also give Kelli and Judy credit for listening to her and supporting her decision. I'm not an insider by any means, but I've never heard them say anything negative about her. 

• Love 9
(edited)
8 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

No, I'm not cutting her any slack on that. First, as someone said, she was a group leader and definitely had an "in" to approaching and talking with K & J. Second, if I remember correctly, she didn't talk to Shelly, but texted her (not only did she approach the wrong person, but she did it via text).

I known I am a dinasour (and so are K & J) and grew up in a completely different world from these teens/twenty-somethings -- and the world is changing, but I will never view texting/emailing my boss as an appropriate way to communicate (especially about problems/concerns).

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 8
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Tarode said:

I just finished listening to the podcast with Milan. The thing that strikes me is that you have to consider that she was a very young woman when she was a DCC. Her life experiences and such as an adult were just starting to happen. I think her perception of some of the things that happened could be due to lack of maturity. She is obviously a smart girl, but maybe she should have waited until after college to try out.  I do realize that there is obviously truth to what she said also related to her experience with the organization. I give her a lot of credit for quitting when she realized it was changing her and impacting her mental health. I also give Kelli and Judy credit for listening to her and supporting her decision. I'm not an insider by any means, but I've never heard them say anything negative about her. 

I'm glad she took a few years to mature before she publicly shared her introspective.

Edited by BringItOn
  • Love 6

Milan didn't really say anything new or that surprising -- but more of the things we've heard before and/or suspected. We all know it's a crappy part-time job with insane, more than full-time job requirements -- low pay, long hours, blatant favourtism, mean girls, ridiculous time/weight/commitment requirements, etc.

I don't want to discount her experiences/perspective, because they are very much what she experienced/felt. Every person experiences things differently and we could find some who share her views and just as many, if not more, who view their time there very differently.  However, I would side-eye her less if 1) she had not willingly gone back for a second year and 2) she had not included her comments about being one of the "best" dancers, feeling she should have had a better position in the triangle, etc. If things were so bad your first year, why willingly go back for more? The dynamics are not going to magically change (K & J aren't going to suddenly become more approachable or reasonable, the favoritism and mean girls aren't going to disappear, pay/time requirements aren't going to change, etc.). Nope, it sounds more like there are some sour grapes involved because you didn't get what you wanted/expected the second year and that is skewing your perspective towards the negative.

Still doesn't mean her opinions/feelings aren't valid or correct, just that I'm not jumping in with both feet believing everything is exactly as she described it.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

I don't want to discount her experiences/perspective, because they are very much what she experienced/felt. Every person experiences things differently and we could find some who share her views and just as many, if not more, who view their time there very differently.  However, I would side-eye her less if 1) she had not willingly gone back for a second year and 2) she had not included her comments about being one of the "best" dancers, feeling she should have had a better position in the triangle, etc. If things were so bad your first year, why willingly go back for more? The dynamics are not going to magically change (K & J aren't going to suddenly become more approachable or reasonable, the favoritism and mean girls aren't going to disappear, pay/time requirements aren't going to change, etc.). Nope, it sounds more like there are some sour grapes involved because you didn't get what you wanted/expected the second year and that is skewing your perspective towards the negative.

See, I actually thought her reasoning for going back the second year made sense. She would be a veteran who would know all of the dances, so training camp wouldn’t be nearly as hard. Then, she probably thought the dynamics would be different, and not unreasonably so IMO. They clearly seem to spend most of their time with their groups, so she probably thought that with a new group and new group leaders, things would be better, and they weren’t. You see that a lot with people who go to new departments or groups in their workplace, thinking that their former supervisor/co-workers were the problem, only to find out that it’s not case, and the place itself is just not a fit.

With that said, she mentioned formations enough that I have to wonder if many of her complaints would’ve been alleviated if she had been placed near the front of the formation. That’s not terribly unusual though either. People are more willing to put up with things they don’t like when they feel “valued,” but it does put a different spin on some of the complaints.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

From when they were setting the triangle for 2017/2018, KaShara was point and Kirsten (sp?) and Lacey were right behind her.  Jenna took Kirsten's spot after Canton, if I remember correctly.   KaShara, Maddie, and one other girl whose name I can't remember right now were the triangle for the 2018/2019 squad.  As there IS no 2019/2020 squad at the moment (which is the squad for the upcoming season), we don't know who will be in the triangle yet.

Sorry, my computer is being funky at the moment and behaving badly. 

Yep I know theres no 19/20 squad yet but just trying to identify the squad from behind is a little hard and I couldnt remember where everyones position was (besides Kashara's)

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Runnergrl37 said:

I did hear that...the podcast was really an eye opener.  They try to come across as being there for the girls, but in reality, they are totally disconnected from them.  Such a shame and I hate it for the girls...especially the ones that fall out of their good graces (Ie: Heather last year for whatever reason when she was totally looked over for group leader...Milan for not auditioning for SG). I wondered what you had to do to get put in DCC jail....but apparently not much.  😞 When Milan asked to talk to them....they blew it off and said "we can talk to you another day".  I'm glad Milan said "No I need to talk to you now"....and then told them exactly how she felt.  

• Love 6

Sorry if this is old news and I just missed the postings here, but Amy Trader is hanging up her All Star boots and has taken a new job in Munich, Germany. She didn't say on Instagram what the job is, but I hope it's related to her engineering work. How cool for her!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CrazyEve said:

Yep I know theres no 19/20 squad yet but just trying to identify the squad from behind is a little hard and I couldnt remember where everyones position was (besides Kashara's)

I know.  Sometimes it’s hard for even the those of us here who know to keep track or remember who’s where what year.  I’m just laughing about the idea of it being the 19/20 squad as that’s something easily checked before posting, even if the poster isn’t sure of the exact year otherwise.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, M1977G said:

Sorry if this is old news and I just missed the postings here, but Amy Trader is hanging up her All Star boots and has taken a new job in Munich, Germany. She didn't say on Instagram what the job is, but I hope it's related to her engineering work. How cool for her!

Saw this on her IG....how exciting for her!! 🙂

• Love 2
11 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

Milan didn't really say anything new or that surprising -- but more of the things we've heard before and/or suspected. We all know it's a crappy part-time job with insane, more than full-time job requirements -- low pay, long hours, blatant favourtism, mean girls, ridiculous time/weight/commitment requirements, etc.

Still doesn't mean her opinions/feelings aren't valid or correct, just that I'm not jumping in with both feet believing everything is exactly as she described it.

Milan is a hard worker who doesn't give up easily in the face of defeat, hence giving it a second year. But she was mature and wise enough to walk away when feeling undervalued and oppressed. I wish I had that fortitude when I was her age.

• Love 12
(edited)
32 minutes ago, BringItOn said:

Milan is a hard worker who doesn't give up easily in the face of defeat, hence giving it a second year. But she was mature and wise enough to walk away when feeling undervalued and oppressed. I wish I had that fortitude when I was her age.

Exactly! She even offered to stay for the last few home games so Judy would not have problems with the formation. Kitty ask her why she did not try out for SG because Kitty thought Milan thought she was too good for SG. No Kitty, she wanted to focus on her studies because she knew SG would be hard to do along with keeping up with school and keeping a 4.00 grade point average. Not every girl has to live and breathe being a DCC 24/7/365.

And look at Amy T. who got a job in Germany. She step away from being a All-Star for a few years. Yes Kelli and Charlotte there is a life after being a DCC, and in majority of the cases, it is a much better life.

Edited by bigskygirl

I think the DCC time commitment only works for those that have a very flexible college schedule (or who skip college), college grads who want some fun before the real world, and married stay at home wives (Tasha, kali).  College students who are full time or those who have demanding jobs (melena, Kristen, kyndall) won’t make it.  Sucks but true. 

• Love 6