Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I’m not interested in downloading the app to read this. What’s it about?

Not sure which app you mean. The link is just to a web page. Quoting the first few paragraphs can give a general idea of the content.

Author Megan Stack has written about what she believes to an increased paucity of varied opinions in the ABC talk show The View, and it has sparked a debate online.

Social media users took note after Stack published an article describing how the daytime talk show, which draws in millions of daily viewers, had "narrowed" recently. The reactions ranged from fans defending The View, to people agreeing with Stack, suggesting it was representative of a nationwide issue.

Stack is an opinion writer and author of Women's Work and Every Man in This Village is a Liar. She aired her own views about the show in a guest essay for The New York Times, "The View Has Narrowed," which was published on Friday.

In the article, she describes how the debates on The View feel more one-sided than they used to. "The co-hosts don't argue nearly enough," Stack wrote, "At least, not substantively. Not anymore."

I'm pretty sure the text of her article can be found a few places. 

(edited)
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

I’m not interested in downloading the app to read this. What’s it about?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/author-s-scathing-takedown-of-the-view-sparks-furious-debate/ar-AA1c5fvV?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=1b640329994340e9b71175e37c4a454b&ei=23

If you watch it on a computer you don't need to download the app

The author wishes the cohosts could have a more robust debate on their political differences  

The author references the Rosie/Elisabeth split screen.  

The debate was fiery but ended on a positive note as Stack recalled: "'I think you're wrong,' Ms. O'Donnell told Ms. Hasselbeck. 'I still love you, but I think you're wrong.'"

Apparently the author has forgotten that split screen caused Rosie to leave the show sooner than was planned.  Gave Elisabeth undeserved credibility with some groups.  And changed the tone of the show forever.  I don't find any of those things positive.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 6

Is the author unaware that the panel used to have “robust” arguments and no one wanted to watch that?  

Is the author unaware that 2 of the panelists are republicans?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Is the author unaware that the panel used to have “robust” arguments and no one wanted to watch that?  

Is the author unaware that 2 of the panelists are republicans?

Yeah I find it funny the author has to go back over 15 years ago to find what she thinks was a good political debate.  The people quoted in the article are right.  The political discourse in our country has been forever changed.

14 hours ago, KittyQ said:

In the article, she describes how the debates on The View feel more one-sided than they used to. "The co-hosts don't argue nearly enough," Stack wrote, "At least, not substantively. Not anymore."

When did these substantive discussions happen?  I must've missed them!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I'm in the Pacific time zone, so today's show hasn't aired here yet - those of you in earlier zones - did the panelists respond to this article? I wondered whether the show would ever include itself as a Hot Topic.

1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

I'm in the Pacific time zone, so today's show hasn't aired here yet - those of you in earlier zones - did the panelists respond to this article? I wondered whether the show would ever include itself as a Hot Topic.

I haven't seen today's show, but based on the fact that they never mentioned the tell-all book that came out a few years ago (Ladies Who Punch) I'm guessing they'll never mention the article. 

• Like 2

Has anybody watched the new Netflix show called “Survival of the Thickest”? Funny show! Anyway, the premise is that the main character finds out her live-in boyfriend of five years is cheating on her and she moves into a crappy apartment in Brooklyn. Her best friend comes over to cheer her up and tells her, “ we all have to start somewhere, right? Look at Whoopi. She was brought up in the Chelsea projects. Now look at her she’s bra less in billowing shirts, ugly ass, shoes, and high as a kite on daytime TV.”😛😝😋

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
12 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

Has anybody watched the new Netflix show called “Survival of the Thickest”? Funny show! Anyway, the premise is that the main character finds out her live-in boyfriend of five years is cheating on her and she moves into a crappy apartment in Brooklyn. Her best friend comes over to cheer her up and tells her, “ we all have to start somewhere, right? Look at Whoopi. She was brought up in the Chelsea projects. Now look at her she’s bra less in billowing shirts, ugly ass, shoes, and high as a kite on daytime TV.”😛😝😋

The totally delightful Michelle Bureau, the creator and star, was on The View last week.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

The totally delightful Michelle Bureau, the creator and star, was on The View last week.

I thought she was ! Obviously they watched only the first episode since I doubt they would’ve had her on the show after insulting their queen on the second episode! 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Jaded said:

“It was Barbara, Whoopi [Goldberg] and myself in the dark green room off to the side,” Steele said on an episode of “The Megyn Kelly Show” Thursday. “I was probably about four feet from the wall and the trash can, and Barbara was standing over here in front of me. She just started to back up toward me and looked at me and got close and elbowed me, and it pushed me back into the wall and the trash can. I was like, ‘What did [she] just do to me? This 140-year-old woman just tried to like tackle me.’”

If she was backing up how did she look at her? 

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I found the whole thing laughable too. 

yeah, this person,  who seems to have had other strange comments publicized in the past, is just trying to get some media attention

and nice that she waited until after barbara was no longer around to comment on it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 8/24/2023 at 9:10 AM, cinsays said:

yeah, this person,  who seems to have had other strange comments publicized in the past, is just trying to get some media attention

Self-promotion must be exhausting. I get tired 🥱 just trying to ignore all of it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Good grief...so tired of Sunny's "look" - the hair and the makeup. So overdone. But the same, same, same.

Joy and Whoopi look the same all the time as well...but naturally. Not pretending to be a prom queen.

And Alyssa, Sara and Ana have fun with different looks.

• Like 7

I make fun of Sunny's look, but I do give her credit for being daring.  She's like the anti-Whoopi.  One is cutting edge fashion (maybe?  I can't say for sure what is cutting edge fashion) and the other throws on whatever is on top of the pile.  At least they are authentic.  Everyone else always looks great.

• Like 3

My only quibble is that the stylist should have folded Joy's sleeves under because they are too long for her but other than that, what a beautiful colour palette.  It's so pleasing to the eye and everybody's individual outfit is well-suited to their personal style. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

My only quibble is that the stylist should have folded Joy's sleeves under because they are too long for her but other than that, what a beautiful colour palette.  It's so pleasing to the eye and everybody's individual outfit is well-suited to their personal style. 

She may have liked that they were covering her hands. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jaded said:

She may have liked that they were covering her hands. 

Any imperfections with her hands would have been removed in the photo retouching afterwards but yes, that's true, maybe she just liked them that way.

Is it just me or do they seem to put Alyssa further away from the group than normal? I thought the same with last season’s pic, but thought I might be reaching. After this pic, I think they might be subconsciously ostracizing her. Not an Alyssa fan by any means…but are they? Or is it just my imagination?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, boochay8888 said:

Is it just me or do they seem to put Alyssa further away from the group than normal? I thought the same with last season’s pic, but thought I might be reaching. After this pic, I think they might be subconsciously ostracizing her. Not an Alyssa fan by any means…but are they? Or is it just my imagination?

I like Alyssa, so I did notice this.  The one I noticed the most was last season's show opening pic, where Sunny is leaning away from Alyssa. 

The three most often seen group photos in the last two seasons are:

(1)  2022 season promo pic - Alyssa is on the end*, but is equally distanced with the others, so the pic seems fine.

(2)  2022-23 show opening pic - Alyssa is on the end, with Sunny leaning far away from her.  I thought this was an awful picture.  Maybe Alyssa was photoshopped in?  It looks like Sunny thinks she has cooties.

(3)  2023 new season autumn colors promo pic - Alyssa is on the end, behind the chair, and farther away than the others.  I noticed it when I first saw it, but it could just be the photographer not moving her a little closer, although it's weird that she is the only one hidden behind the chair.  

So of the three, I'm OK with #1, I dislike #2, and #3 is weird but maybe OK.

*I can understand Alyssa being on the end since she's new.  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I like Alyssa, so I did notice this.  The one I noticed the most was last season's show opening pic, where Sunny is leaning away from Alyssa. 

The three most often seen group photos in the last two seasons are:

(1)  2022 season promo pic - Alyssa is on the end*, but is equally distanced with the others, so the pic seems fine.

(2)  2022-23 show opening pic - Alyssa is on the end, with Sunny leaning far away from her.  I thought this was an awful picture.  Maybe Alyssa was photoshopped in?  It looks like Sunny thinks she has cooties.

(3)  2023 new season autumn colors promo pic - Alyssa is on the end, behind the chair, and farther away than the others.  I noticed it when I first saw it, but it could just be the photographer not moving her a little closer, although it's weird that she is the only one hidden behind the chair.  

So of the three, I'm OK with #1, I dislike #2, and #3 is weird but maybe OK.

*I can understand Alyssa being on the end since she's new.  

Maybe it’s so they can easily photoshop her out if she leaves?

With all the pressure on talk shows to cease production during the strike I wonder if The View is considering shutting down too.  I know they are different because they are in the news division, but that seems like an irrelevant detail to the public.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

With all the pressure on talk shows to cease production during the strike I wonder if The View is considering shutting down too.  I know they are different because they are in the news division, but that seems like an irrelevant detail to the public.

seems to me that Whoopi is the only one who is actually an actress, so, whether their specific contract is different or not, i think she should honor the strike and not be on.  but maybe that's partly because i like the show better without her.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, cinsays said:

seems to me that Whoopi is the only one who is actually an actress, so, whether their specific contract is different or not, i think she should honor the strike and not be on.  but maybe that's partly because i like the show better without her.

People are wanting talk shows to shut down because of the writers' strike, not the actors' strike, so Whoopi's not going anywhere unless they shut down completely.

• Like 1

It’s confusing that actors (like Leslie Jones) are ok with appearing on talk shows to promote their other projects, yet someone like Drew Barrymore can’t film shows even though it means her crew doesn’t get paid. I’m not judging either side, just pointing out that I’m confused about what crosses the line. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
20 hours ago, Haleth said:

It’s confusing that actors (like Leslie Jones) are ok with appearing on talk shows to promote their other projects, yet someone like Drew Barrymore can’t film shows even though it means her crew doesn’t get paid. I’m not judging either side, just pointing out that I’m confused about what crosses the line. 

Honestly, I feel people have gotten very "mob rule" about this entire strike.  It's ridiculous to me that people are mad at Drew Barrymore because she was going to continue her show without her writers.  She employees three writers.  So because of three people who are on strike, a bunch of other people (who can't get work anywhere else right now because of the two strikes going on, even though they're not on strike) can't work.  And what gets me is that when others bring up that The View didn't stop taping despite the strike, people go, "Oh, that's because it's a news show, so it's okay."  LOL.  Please.  The View might be under the news division at ABC, but it is not and has never been a news show.  This entire thing is just getting ridiculous.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

Honestly, I feel people have gotten very "mob rule" about this entire strike.  It's ridiculous to me that people are mad at Drew Barrymore because she was going to continue her show without her writers.  She employees three writers.  So because of three people who are on strike, a bunch of other people (who can't get work anywhere else right now because of the two strikes going on, even though they're not on strike) can't work.  And what gets me is that when others bring up that The View didn't stop taping despite the strike, people go, "Oh, that's because it's a news show, so it's okay."  LOL.  Please.  The View might be under the news division at ABC, but it is not and has never been a news show.  This entire thing is just getting ridiculous.

Said almost exactly the same thing on the Bill Maher show thread about everyone else being out of work & all I got was that Bill was doing it for selfish reasons blah blah blah. In hindsight it was probably the wrong place to say anything but he had just cancelled his show restarting after all the Drew B & screaming lord Rosie O, self proclaimed leader of the mob rule, bullshit.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Thank you, Snapdragon. I couldn't have said it better.👍 👏

• Like 1
On 9/19/2023 at 2:51 PM, Snapdragon said:

Not saying I have a strong opinion on how to navigate the strike, but that's how I see it as well. What about all the other people who can't work? I know Drew will be fine, but she might employ people who rely on their jobs to to put food on the table. 

And yeah, The View has never been a hard news show.  

On 9/19/2023 at 4:11 PM, Shrek said:

Said almost exactly the same thing on the Bill Maher show thread about everyone else being out of work & all I got was that Bill was doing it for selfish reasons blah blah blah. In hindsight it was probably the wrong place to say anything but he had just cancelled his show restarting after all the Drew B & screaming lord Rosie O, self proclaimed leader of the mob rule, bullshit.

Not to get too OT, but while I have my criticisms of Bill, sometimes I avoid his boards or don't bother to post because it's so dang negative towards him. I understand hate watching if it's a show that's fun to snark on. But that's not Bill's show, and while he can be arrogant and all that, he's not this awful guy. I feel the same about him as I do about Drew. I'm sure The View, Drew, and Bill ALL employee people other than the writers who have families to feed. And Bill's show is more news than The View. I've always liked Rosie. I miss her on The View actually, but I beg to differ with her on this issue. 

Again, maybe I'm wrong and don't get it as a non-writer, but like Snapdragon said, seems like it's getting ridiculous at this point. I want the writers to be paid fairly, but they're not the only ones who matter. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2

I listened to last Thursday's Behind the table podcast. Brian asked Sara who she thinks would be on a Mt Rushmore of the View.  She said Barbara Walters, Joy Behar, Whoopi Goldberg and Meredith Viera.  I have to say I agree with her.  I'm not a fan of Whoopi but other than Joy she has been there the longest.  Brian wanted to swap out for Meredith for Rosie O'Donnell.  His argument was if you asked people on the street to name View cohosts people would say Rosie.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I listened to last Thursday's Behind the table podcast. Brian asked Sara who she thinks would be on a Mt Rushmore of the View.  She said Barbara Walters, Joy Behar, Whoopi Goldberg and Meredith Viera.  I have to say I agree with her.  I'm not a fan of Whoopi but other than Joy she has been there the longest.  Brian wanted to swap out for Meredith for Rosie O'Donnell.  His argument was if you asked people on the street to name View cohosts people would say Rosie.  

Rosie fucking O'Donnell, no thanks.

• Like 1