Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, MsTree said:

Lately Sunny is so full of herself...and the shade becomes more obvious.

Sunny hates when people don't agree with her. And I hate when she puts on that "cutesy" act of hers...all demur and prudish. Such a phony.

See, while we all generally prefer for others to think like us, I mostly care about who's nice. I think many of us do. 

4 hours ago, Cementhead said:

My theory?  Meghan; for some inexplicable reason that none of us could ever figure out, was in the power position for most of her time on the show and there was a distinct moment in time when I remember Sunny suddenly became much more friendly and cozy with Meghan and it was a really weird switch that just seemed to come out of nowhere.  But then this occurred to me:  keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Sara?  She is of absolutely no threat to Sunny.  Sunny has more power on the show than Sara.  So she doesn't have to play by the same rule book.

Ooh, this is a good theory. I know Whoopi could be rude to Sunny, but Sunny wouldn't dare be rude to Whoopi fucking Goldberg. She wants to keep her job. I didn't think Meghan would have any pull at all now that she's gone, but maybe it is a keep your enemies closer situation. Meghan has a big mouth and no telling what she'll say.

4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I can't remember if Sunny herself told the story in her book or if I read it in article but at some point there was a lot of friction between Sunny and Meghan and someone in charge (don't remember if it was ABC or someone at the View) who told Sunny if she didn't get along with Meghan and the situation became untenable Sunny would be the one who had to leave.   Why Sunny would want to be friends with someone after that I have no idea.

I remember that too. Like I said, sometimes Sunny comes across almost saintly with how forgiving she is, but then she'll be rude to Sara, which is indeed like kicking a bunny.

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Sunny and Sara have always had a bit of tension between them. From my perspective, that started back when Sara was on the show the first time, pre-McCain. I can't remember what the topic was, but I do remember one day that Sunny essentially called Sara racist (or at least heavily implied it) over something she'd said--I can't remember what the topic was, might've been a trial that was going on, I don't know--and Sara has had a chip on her shoulder about it ever since. At least that's how it played out to me, because Sara would sometimes make these kind of veiled comments over time that felt like she was talking about what Sunny said to her that day. *shrug* Sunny will call a spade a spade no matter who it concerns, sort of like how she called Don Lemon wrong day even though they are good friends. She did the same thing to Paula Faris, when they were interviewing a family whose son had been killed, and she straight out called Faris' question racist mid-interview. That rubs some the wrong way, but I admire that quality about her, personally.

I think they can be polite to one another, I don't think they are close friends the way Sunny is with Joy. I personally don't believe Sunny is close friends with any of them other than Joy and maybe Ana, whereas I believe Joy tends to be good friends with nearly everyone.

There's probably been tension between all of them at different times. It's just that Sara is one of the nicest people to ever be on the show (up there with Meredith), and Meghan is probably the absolute rudest. It just looks funny to be rude to Sara but be buddies with Meghan. There has to be more to it, or she has a shitty judgment of people.

5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

That thought crossed my mind. Any time Sunny mentions a friend it is always someone who is famous.  

Yes, I've noticed how many celeb friends she has.

MSTREE said she thinks Sunny's prudish persona is even an act. What about the jealousy? Love her dearly, but my sister is a very jealous person. There's no way in hell she could be buddies with someone like J. Lo who never gives sexiness a rest. I remember Sunny defending the Super Bowl performance. I totally get that a lot of people didn't think that was a big deal. But I can't picture Sunny being cool with her daughter dancing or dressing up half as provocatively. Is she only jealous if a woman baked a birthday cake for Manny? Is she suddenly cool if she can befriend a huge star? 

2 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Doesn't Sunny realize that the problem isn't what the cohost's beliefs are but it's how the cohosts express their beliefs? There has never in the history of the View been two cohosts that shared the exact same beliefs.  Even the two most most vocal self described conservatives (Elisabeth and Meghan) weren't in lock step with each other or their party for that matter.   And yes Sara can be a little all over the map but for Sunny to be so dismissive about Sara's political affiliation was just plain rude.  

I've said it before Sunny's change in attitude is not a good look.   Good for her for having all these outside projects but maybe she has outgrown the View.

Exactly. There are lots of things I agree with Sunny over Sara on, but it really is the delivery. Also, my favorite thing about Sunny is how smart she is. But that whole know-it-all attitude is never cute. I have an aunt who is a genius and very successful. Hearing how smart she is all her life has given her a big ego and she always thinks she's right. It's a pain in the ass to deal with for much of the rest of the family. 

• Love 5

I’ve always had the impression Sunny was/is very impressed with the McCain family and their connections and wealth. Early on, she kissed the former one’s ass every chance she got. They then had their multiple fallings out but the two became as thick as thieves during quarantine. Sunny must have heeded the warning from the PTB that if they had to choose between the two, MM would be the victor.  If I were Sunny, I would have told them all to go to hell. I often wonder what Joy and Ana thought as they watched the two of them gush over each other during the shows. It was nauseating to me. So phony. How quickly Sunny forgot who had her back when the other one tried to have her fired. It showed me that Sunny is very impressed with those she considers to be connected. She is proving to be quite the elitist and sorry to say I no longer trust her. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Badbea99 said:

It showed me that Sunny is very impressed with those she considers to be connected. She is proving to be quite the elitist and sorry to say I no longer trust her. 

I read her novel and it was about very rich well connected people.

I also read her memoir and it was after that my opinion of her started to sour.  

I remember before I started watching again posters here talked so highly of Sunny.  When I started watching again in 2017 I must admit I found her more likable than Meghan but I did sense she wasn't as nice as she seemed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

There’s always been some odd tension between Sara & Sunny but it’s surprising  to see Sunny be so open about it? They seemed closer during the Jed era and then maybe the whole Sara getting her own show didn’t sit well with the others? 

• Useful 2
18 minutes ago, geekburger said:

There’s always been some odd tension between Sara & Sunny but it’s surprising  to see Sunny be so open about it? They seemed closer during the Jed era and then maybe the whole Sara getting her own show didn’t sit well with the others? 

I thought about that. Sara seems to be very well liked by ABC and they have given her two shows. One in primetime.  Sunny has spoken about not being treated with respect by ABC so maybe there is some resentment there but that it isn't Sara's fault.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4

Sara could easily call sunny a "fake" Democrat given Sunnys constant socially conservative ramblings and often prudish behavior. Sara was never someone who wanted to be hyper political and given there are always 3-4 strongly political people on the panel who cares if Sara is always trying to add nuance to the conversation or play devils advocate. She is quite evidentally a left leaning moderate who has diverging views. Why does that infuriate sunny so much??

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, Buckeye71034 said:

Sara could easily call sunny a "fake" Democrat given Sunnys constant socially conservative ramblings and often prudish behavior. Sara was never someone who wanted to be hyper political and given there are always 3-4 strongly political people on the panel who cares if Sara is always trying to add nuance to the conversation or play devils advocate. She is quite evidentally a left leaning moderate who has diverging views. Why does that infuriate sunny so much??

I agree with you about Sara and have no idea why she bothers Sunny so much either, but honestly, why can't a Democrat be socially conservative or prudish? There are lots of Republicans who are socially liberal and furtherest thing from prudish. I'd give examples but board rules. lol I like that Sunny isn't a caricature the way Meghan was much of the time. One of the biggest things is to support LGBT, which Sunny does. If she is just more prim and proper, I don't think it conflicts with being a Democrat.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I agree with you about Sara and have no idea why she bothers Sunny so much either, but honestly, why can't a Democrat be socially conservative or prudish? There are lots of Republicans who are socially liberal and furtherest thing from prudish. I'd give examples but board rules. lol I like that Sunny isn't a caricature the way Meghan was much of the time. One of the biggest things is to support LGBT, which Sunny does. If she is just more prim and proper, I don't think it conflicts with being a Democrat.

I agree with you, I was only using Sunny's extremely rigid definition of political independent where if they support one party usually and agree with one part most of the time but still declare they don't want to be put in a box they are faking and lying. Also like when she accused Gretchen of being a republican for caring about inflation and debt. If Sunny can have differing views on sex ed and abortion, gretchen and sara can be concerned about the economy.

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Love 2
On 11/12/2021 at 7:23 AM, ifionlyknew said:

I can't remember if Sunny herself told the story in her book or if I read it in article but at some point there was a lot of friction between Sunny and Meghan and someone in charge (don't remember if it was ABC or someone at the View) who told Sunny if she didn't get along with Meghan and the situation became untenable Sunny would be the one who had to leave.   Why Sunny would want to be friends with someone after that I have no idea.

Oh yeah, thats definitely a case of enemies closer.  Did you see Sunny had that same tone when she said Joy was SUPER PROGRESSIVE 

• Useful 2
On 11/12/2021 at 12:24 PM, Badbea99 said:

I’ve always had the impression Sunny was/is very impressed with the McCain family and their connections and wealth. Early on, she kissed the former one’s ass every chance she got. They then had their multiple fallings out but the two became as thick as thieves during quarantine. Sunny must have heeded the warning from the PTB that if they had to choose between the two, MM would be the victor.  If I were Sunny, I would have told them all to go to hell. I often wonder what Joy and Ana thought as they watched the two of them gush over each other during the shows. It was nauseating to me. So phony. How quickly Sunny forgot who had her back when the other one tried to have her fired. It showed me that Sunny is very impressed with those she considers to be connected. She is proving to be quite the elitist and sorry to say I no longer trust her. 

I have not read her memoir but I have a different take on this. I think Sunny is nobody's fool - she knows better than to ruffle feathers with a family like the McCains. She is a highly educated black woman who rose up the ranks and has surely had to prove herself against others who may not have been as qualified as her, but due to privileged backgrounds were given the same or even more opportunities over her. 

I find it interesting in Meghan's book tour she often referred to Sunny as a sister or that they had a sisterhood - does Sunny feel similarly? I doubt it. She rolls with a group of queens that I doubt would include someone like Meghan. But I don't think she would ever publicly criticize Meghan either.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 10/28/2021 at 7:44 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Abby Huntsman talks about her reason for leaving The View, saying it was a toxic environment.  She doesn't mention Meghan's treatment of her, but I have no doubt that was part of it.  

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/abby-huntsman-finally-reveals-real-143026563.html

Just dragging this in from the podcast (which is fascinating, BTW) - Abby said that she was hurt that execs kept pushing her in the conservative direction when she feels far more moderate. She felt that they did not have her back and wasn't comfortable with that role. She also wanted to take a mental health day and was told NO.

A common thread from the podcast - everybody adores Whoppi and Joy (although to a lesser extent). Fascinating stuff on Rosie's second run.

• Useful 5
3 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

That may be true but who would say out loud that they didn't like her? Rosie was one person that didn't kiss her ring and we all know what happened to her!

Nicole offered a really interesting perspective on Rosie. She said that her and Rosie did not get along during her run on the show, and that she feels that Rosie brings her personal hurt to the table. A common thread through a lot of the episodes was the importance of leaving it at the table. So many different hosts noted that Joy was a perfect example of that. No matter what went on, she left it at the table, and the next day was a fresh start. Rosie was not capable of doing that. Nicole also revealed that she now considers Rosie a friend because they ran into each other on a flight and became far more friendly by bonding over motherhood. She said that she's had her on her MSNBC show a couple of times. Think I respect Whoppi's role a lot more after listening to the podcast.

The podcast really is worth a listen. I am very surprised sometimes that ABC allowed them to be so candid and critical of the show.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4

I'm listening to the latest Behind the Table podcast (with Joy and Whoopi).  At one point, they were speaking about the format during the past couple of years for the pandemic.  Joy said she didn't like that format (Whoopi asking a question and Joy answering, and then Whoopi asking another question and Sunny answering, etc. instead of a natural conversation flow).  They also discussed the delay problem as opposed to other shows.  Then they said this, which I thought was very telling:

Whoopi:  One of the reasons we don't do that is because folks don't take a breath.... 

Joy laughs

Whoopi:  ....and I'm guilty of it.  We're all guilty of it, but maybe some more than others.  So it's become that because it's the only way I think they felt comfortable with me stopping stuff.

Joy:  I worry a little bit about how they are going to replace the republican on the panel because all of the republican women who are in the public eye do not take a breath. 

Short discussion on Kelly Ann Conway, etc.

Joy:  They don't take breaths.  That's the part I don't like.  It's hard to stop people when they're on that kind of a tear. 

I loved the part where Joy laughed when Whoopi first said "folks don't take a breath."  They both knew who she was talking about. 😄

• Useful 3
  • LOL 8

https://nypost.com/2022/01/08/the-view-struggling-to-find-a-real-conservative-co-host/?_ga=2.58287274.1627216169.1641880284-1972498071.1641880284

It's the NY Post but they do get actual comments from people...

Matenopoulos told The Post she got intel that made her think “The View” producers brought her back in part as a ploy for other hosts’ contract negotiations.

“I think Sara Haines’ contract was up and they were messing with her,” Matenopoulos told The Post. “I think I was a pawn, a ploy in their game. Then they thought I was going to take Ana Navarro’s job.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

From the article: “‘The View’ hasn’t had a conservative host in a long time,” conservative author Candace Owens told The Post. “It was kind of a joke to hire Meghan McCain in the Trump era. She was not reflecting the views of conservatives in the country and she was lambasting us. They have a fear of having a true conservative on the network. These ladies aren’t exactly the most intellectual ladies. I don’t think they work in truth.”

OUCH!

• LOL 7
25 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

From the article: “‘The View’ hasn’t had a conservative host in a long time,” conservative author Candace Owens told The Post. “It was kind of a joke to hire Meghan McCain in the Trump era. She was not reflecting the views of conservatives in the country and she was lambasting us. They have a fear of having a true conservative on the network. These ladies aren’t exactly the most intellectual ladies. I don’t think they work in truth.”

OUCH!

That is some deep rooted projection from Candace. Nobody is looking to her for any sort of wisdom.  I think she is jealous she has never been asked to audition for co host.

When she says "conservative" she means Trump supporter. And no Meghan was not that definition of a conservative.  But she did spout off plenty of conservative talking points while on the show.  

• Love 9

Apparently the article Lisa was mocking on the show was actually a *Primetimer* article, lol.

First describing the women as yelling at one another on Monday (they were not), then accusing Whoopi of being on the verge of cursing Lisa out--amazing. I'm not surprised the writer was a McCain fan, seems like they have a penchant for overdramatizing and mischaracterization themselves. Every article title is such-and-such "BLASTS" "SHUTS DOWN" "DESTROYS" "SLAMS" something or other. Embarrassing clickbait. They need to find a better writer.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Apparently the article Lisa was mocking on the show was actually a *Primetimer* article, lol.

First describing the women as yelling at one another on Monday (they were not)

Nobody was yelling on Monday, but they were over-talking each other.  Several times all 5 were yapping at once, Joy talking to the camera, Whoopi & Sara talking to each other and Lisa & Sunny having a third simultaneous conversation. It was nuts.  But they came back from commercial with a remote guest, so they were back to asking questions one at the time.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 2

Journalist Yair Rosenberg, a veteran of Tablet (a Jewish news, religion, and culture magazine) now works for The Atlantic, and wrote about Whoopi Goldberg’s Holocaust confusion, in his newsletter, Deep Shtetl:

"Are Jews a Race?"

I found it a thoughtful (and gracious) discussion of Whoopi's error. Rosenberg published it prior to the news about Whoopi's two-week suspension. 

In addition to Whoopi's suspension linked above, Variety also has coverage of Whoopi's apologies.

ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt, who appeared on yesterday's show to explain Whoopi's mistake to her, and to The View audience, talked about it with Don Lemon, on CNN, last night. Greenblatt is really good here, and got the chance to flesh out more of the message he imparted on The View.

Edited by General Days
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Whoopie loves the easy money and not having to do anything for it.  I remember a clip a few years ago where she went a on a rant saying how the view is just a check and that she does not give a fuck about the view. It was really vile and she got in trouble with ABC..

• Love 2

I assume that Whoopi has her reasons for ignoring the fact that the Nazis referred to Jewish people as a separate race. I wish The View hadn't suspended her but instead gave her a chance to explain her idea that the Holocaust was white people "fighting each other," as if the Jews, the Roma, the Poles, the homosexuals, and the physical and mentally disabled people were actual fighters instead of being massacred by the Nazis.  

Prominent Jewish organizations have said that Whoopi is an advocate. So I'd like to hear what she was thinking. 

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Why would Whoopie go on Stephen Colbert to do damage control?  

It's not ABC/Disney! 

I think she was scheduled to come on to plug the Lifetime movie she's producing, but was asked to talk about what happened on this show after the backlash since it was all over social media.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

Lisa Ling Says Joy Behar Told Her She Was 'Talking Too Much' on The View 

https://people.com/tv/lisa-ling-says-joy-behar-told-her-she-was-talking-too-much-the-view/

Lisa Ling Clarifies Comments About The View, Says She and Joy Behar Have 'Great Relationship'

https://people.com/tv/lisa-ling-clarifies-comments-about-the-view/

The past two weeks would have guaranteed Lisa Ling would be too afraid to return to this show if she ever had considered it, with the way the media reports on The View these days. Not only was there the Primetimer article that described her first day in such a blatantly false manner, the above comment on Kimmel was taken out of context , too (I had taken it to be something she said partly to make the audience laugh), and then of course Whoopi stepping in it on the Monday after she visited.

Admittedly, it was always unlikely she'd want to come back even though her commentary elevated the show further, but I'm guessing it's zero chance after all this. A shame.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Admittedly, it was always unlikely she'd want to come back even though her commentary elevated the show further, but I'm guessing it's zero chance after all this. A shame.

I was thinking the same thing.  It's quite a change from what she experienced her first time.  I would have been fine with Lisa being added to the panel, but yeah, even if there was a slight chance she'd be asked, she'd probably turn it down flat.

From People:

https://people.com/tv/the-view-show-culture-not-what-barbara-walters-wanted-says-source-amid-whoopi-goldberg-suspension/

Things are not what they once were at The View, especially in the wake of the controversy involving Whoopi Goldberg, according to a source familiar with the show.

Following Goldberg's suspension from the daytime talk show for claiming that the Holocaust was "not about race," the source tells PEOPLE that "everyone is despondent" at The View.

The source believes the recent situation would be particularly upsetting to Barbara Walters, who put together the initial panel of women on The View in 1997 and served as a co-host until her retirement in 2014.

"It's like watching a family member spiral downward," says the source. "It was described by people there as 'mayhem.' "

The source continues, "There is no accountability [anymore] ... part of being 'produced' means being told what you don't want to hear, so you get it right. When you make a mistake or look arrogant — it's important to not be surrounded by 'yes men.' "

"Whoopi is the alpha. She's the moderator and a pop culture icon. This is not what Barbara Walters wanted and there was nobody there to push back," the source adds.

Adds a separate insider: "Words matter and when you are on live TV, this is why you have to think before you speak."

Reps for ABC and Goldberg did not immediately respond to PEOPLE's request for comment.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

This is SO RICH. Where was all this mainstream media condemnation for Miss Twatty during her reign on this show? The Brass wouldn't outright make the statement that she was suspended the two times she was gone for days on end. The narcissistic asshole never ever apologized, but double and trebled down. And NO ONE pushed back or was allowed to push back.

I'd say what the show's culture devolved into when she was hired wasn't what Bawa wanted.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15