Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I consider TMZ pretty well connected.  They've been breaking a ton of stories in recent years.  I consider the Daily Mail and Radar Online even the Post as sites more likely to just make up stories.  I'm not saying it's for sure true, but I believe it more coming from them than other sources.

The moderator thing makes me think its untrue, since that seems pretty clear from the start that Whoopi would always have that position.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 2

TMZ has broken some stuff - it's the moderator thing though, that's something that hasn't come up in the Daily Mail/Daily News stuff.  There appears to be some rancor, but it's hard to discern the truth of what is going on from the leaking, it's been all over the map.

It's very clear, that RO is pretty shook up about recent events nationally, and triggered, so who knows.

There certainly is a disgruntled 'source" that is regularly feeding negative stories,which may or may not be true and exaggerated, to the media.

If it's a staffer that works on the show,couldn't their job be in jeopardy if the show folds? Kind of cutting of one' snooze to spite your face.

Wouldn't be surprised if it is someone formerly on the show who is stirring up shit so they can be interviewed as a "former" employee to give their opinion and get their name in the news.

• Love 2

I like that article, and it's true that the moment O'Donnell says anything, the other co-hosts scramble to shut her down. I'm glad they also pointed out the ratings were down before this season--possibly more to do with Sherri, Jenny, and Barbara's antics on last season.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

I consider TMZ pretty well connected. They've been breaking a ton of stories in recent years. I consider the Daily Mail and Radar Online even the Post as sites more likely to just make up stories. I'm not saying it's for sure true, but I believe it more coming from them than other sources.

The moderator thing makes me think its untrue, since that seems pretty clear from the start that Whoopi would always have that position.

Yeah, I tend to take everything from TMZ with a big grain of salt. Harvey and his merry band of juvenile delinquents have the emotional maturity and integrity of a cantaloupe. That said, it's hard to deny that they seem to have some pretty decent (albeit ethically challenged) LA area connections, but their East Coast sources seem far more sketchy.

It still wouldn't shock me to find out that it's the camps of a certain recently dismissed and disgruntled EP and/or director feeding these testy rumors to the rags just to...errr....*make sparks.*

• Love 4

TMZ can be wrong, and when they're wrong, they're really wrong.  Of course, they've been right quite a bit too. 

I'm holding out on believing Rosie O will quit before the end of the season, and I never believed she was going to last more than a season before the rumors started.  I can see ABC trying to pretend everything is peachy on set and let Rosie claim that she was only ever going to do one season when May or June roll around.  Rosie's time on the View has come and gone imo, I don't get why they hired her again. 

With that said, why are they hanging on to Whoopi?  I understand that less than them rehiring Rosie O'Donnell.

• Love 3

I have always thought Whoopi was awful as a host on The View. That said, every guest practically mauls her when they come out. It's like 6 degprees of Kevin Bacon because they have worked with her in movies, TV & theatre. For some reason, (which escapes me) she's really respected by her peers. Whereas I think she is an awful host & moderator. She can't even read what's on the TelePrompTer that's right in front of her. As for, Rosie, I think she thought she'd be the boss with Bab's gone and doesn't like it that she isn't. She probably won't be back in the new year or next year if the show even makes it that long.

• Love 1

I have always thought Whoopi was awful as a host on The View. That said, every guest practically mauls her when they come out. It's like 6 degprees of Kevin Bacon because they have worked with her in movies, TV & theatre. For some reason, (which escapes me) she's really respected by her peers. Whereas I think she is an awful host & moderator. She can't even read what's on the TelePrompTer that's right in front of her.

Maybe those guests have never watched The View? 

Because before this show, I was a Whoopi fan.  Once I even paid good money to see a show of hers and really enjoyed it (over ten years ago) but this show where she's not acting or doing an act but mostly being herself and trying to run a talk show I think she sucks. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 10

Wouldn't be surprised if it is someone formerly on the show who is stirring up shit so they can be interviewed as a "former" employee to give their opinion and get their name in the news.

Exactly, you & I are thinking alike!!!

• Love 1

So Daily Mail is now getting the gossip that RP is a diva!  No one can please her in hair and make-up and she is fed up with RO.  She has some ego if this is true.  While she is on her mini hiatus perhaps they will get someone younger and well spoken to permanently replace her.  I notice the mail said Lisa Ling's sister could be a contender for the short stint!

This has the ring of believability to me and I'll tell you why:  About 12 years ago my cousin's first job out of school was in the PR dept at Toyota in NYC. - as some sort of assistant or something.  Anyway, one time she had to pick up and deliver a celebrity for some Toyota sponsored event and she got Rosie P.   At the time, Do the Right Thing was already 15 years old and her career had sort of stalled.  I barely remembered who she was. 

Anyway, according to my cousin, Rosie P. was a total diva on that drive acting like some big star.   After making the driver (my cousin) wait over an hour, she bitched about the car (a Toyota) and about not having the right water provided in the car.  She either forgot her earrings or liked my cousin's earrings better, I don't remember,  because she wanted to wear them instead.  That was the last my cousin saw of those earrings, lol.   I do remember thinking, "Sheesh, who does this washed up actress think she is giving a young woman a hard time like that?"  

Not an earth shattering or even interesting story really, but something that stuck with me every time I heard Rosie P.'s name from then on.  And why the diva rumours ring true to me. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 9

This has the ring of believability to me and I'll tell you why:  About 12 years ago my cousin's first job out of school was in the PR dept at Toyota in NYC. - as some sort of assistant or something.  Anyway, one time she had to pick up and deliver a celebrity for some Toyota sponsored event and she got Rosie P.   At the time, Do the Right Thing was already 15 years old and her career had sort of stalled.  I barely remembered who she was. 

Anyway, according to my cousin, Rosie P. was a total diva on that drive acting like some big star.   After making the driver (my cousin) wait over an hour, she bitched about the car (a Toyota) and about not having the right water provided in the car.  She either forgot her earrings or liked my cousin's earrings better, I don't remember,  because she wanted to wear them instead.  That was the last my cousin saw of those earrings, lol.   I do remember thinking, "Sheesh, who does this washed up actress think she is giving a young woman a hard time like that?"  

Not an earth shattering or even interesting story really, but something that stuck with me every time I heard Rosie P.'s name from then on.  And why the diva rumours ring true to me. 

Oh my, & I thought someone was making up lies.  That's too bad, but that Karma is a bitch (if it's true).

• Love 1

For them to start bring in guest Hosts to make 5 perhaps they are worried.

Can't imagine why BW will be on.....oh yes.....her special coming up.

Actually should be interesting to see how it works out with WG/RO and the newbies.

• Love 1

RadarOnline

Despite its seeming success, the print magazine was suddenly shuttered in 2008, after its primary backer, billionaire Ron Burkle, who owned a substantial interest in Star and National Enquirer publisher American Media, withdrew. RadarOnline.com's founding staff was fired and replaced by reporters from the Enquirer and Star. RadarOnline.com was relaunched in March 2009 with a rebranding, focusing on celebrity items about gossip, fashion and pop culture. All of the articles previously published by RadarOnline.com were erased from the site.

Interestingly, Ron Burkle, is a Bill Clinton buddy.  But no, the website has nothing to do with ABC or The View.  

I can't imagine BW or ABC do anything with Radaronline. BW may have said that though. I can't find anything about it. The online site is owned by American Media publishing which owns National Enquirer, Star and other tabloids and magazines.

According to The View's Facebook page:

JUST IN: Fashion icon Beverly Johnson, who recently spoke out alleging Bill Cosby drugged her in 1896, joins the co-hosts of The View TOMORROW to discuss her story LIVE.   https://www.facebook.com/TheView  (the 1896 typo has been there for 3 hours!!!)

From The Associated Press: Bill Cosby breaks silence on the media, his wife

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/bill-cosby-breaks-silence-media-wife-230718642.html

Edited by ginger90

According to The View's Facebook page:

JUST IN: Fashion icon Beverly Johnson, who recently spoke out alleging Bill Cosby drugged her in 1896, joins the co-hosts of The View TOMORROW to discuss her story LIVE.   https://www.facebook.com/TheView  (the 1896 typo has been there for 3 hours!!!)

From The Associated Press: Bill Cosby breaks silence on the media, his wife

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/bill-cosby-breaks-silence-media-wife-230718642.html

OMG, I'll certainly be watching liiiiive, with my focus on Whoopi's face.  LOL.

• Love 1

First paragraph of the article:

Supermodel Beverly Johnson appeared on The View this morning to discuss the recent Vanity Fair article in which she alleges that Bill Cosby drugged her in the mid '80s at the height of The Cosby Show. Naturally, this meant bumping heads with The View's resident rape apologist, Whoopi Goldberg.

Jezebel seems to have Whoopi pegged

• Love 8

I watched today's show, then read this thread, then watched part of the show again. I think when Whoopie talks about racism, and subtle vs overt racism, it comes from what she's experienced in her life and she believes what she is saying. There is a lot of negative commentary what she says on here, but if that's her experience and feeling then I,d rather she speak honestly about what she feels rather than being politically correct. Her position as moderator demands some impartiality and her experience and honestly does get in the way. And I listened closely to the Beverley Johnson segment ( that woman has aged incredibly well!) and I thought woopie was OK so I must have missed something .

• Love 1

I watched today's show, then read this thread, then watched part of the show again. I think when Whoopie talks about racism, and subtle vs overt racism, it comes from what she's experienced in her life and she believes what she is saying. There is a lot of negative commentary what she says on here, but if that's her experience and feeling then I,d rather she speak honestly about what she feels rather than being politically correct. Her position as moderator demands some impartiality and her experience and honestly does get in the way. And I listened closely to the Beverley Johnson segment ( that woman has aged incredibly well!) and I thought woopie was OK so I must have missed something .

That may be true CathInAZ and if that was all she said then i could agree with you.... but if you watch it again..... she told Rosie O that she was wrong for being offended at the racist comments..... Whoopi told her that she doesnt know what racism is...... sorry... but she is wrong about that

• Love 6

First paragraph of the article:

Jezebel seems to have Whoopi pegged

They would.  Jezebel absolutely and resolutely rejects rape culture.  Which is why I just can't believe that Whoopi is getting away with her embrace of it, you want to point to a reason for dropping ratings, I think it might just be Whoopi.

At least in some ways, our culture has evolved just a bit since the late 70s early 80s, sometimes it feels like baby steps, but it's happened.  

• Love 8

Here is another comment from the Jezebel article that I think absolutely nails it (h/t to "Johnny-Fever) :

Beverly's certain Bill Cosby drugged her. Which is pretty fucked up on it's own. And it confirms a pattern of beahviour, mirroring other women's experiences. Rather than discuss that Whoopi seems to want to cast doubt on Beverley's story. Why? She's being deliberately obtuse. "Huh?! You were drugged and seems hazy and uncertain on some things!? Well that's weird" is the tone.

try this interpretation of it

BJ: the drugs he gave me left me in a panicked and confused state.

WG: Hmm, I don't understand, you seem confused about what happened.

BJ: ??? the drugs he gave me left me in a panicked and confused state.

WG: I don't get it. you know you were drugged and understandably terrified something bad was about to happen... but why weren't you worried about what you'd just DRANK??

BJ: ?? I think you're missing the point. Bill Cosby DRUGGED ME. And those drugs he gave me left me in a panicked and confused state.

WG: Ahh so you DIDN"T talk to your door man, to confirm what you already knew... that you were drugged and in a confused state

That's not an example of a line of questioning interested in getting to the truth, it's an example of trying to obfuscate it.

• Love 17

I am beginning to believe that Whoopie Goldberg is feeding the negative crap about Rosie to the Daily Mail.  Today they are headlining that Beverly Johnson wanted to do the interview only with Whoopie and Rosie was outraged and went to TPTB to complain. The execs agreed with Rosie and everyone was at the table and now Whoop is angry with Rosie and didn't invite her to her Christmas party.  These details are being fed by someone in Whoops camp as she is the only one who is never slammed in the Mail and she has an obvious problem with Rosie.

The clock is ticking, I can't believe this panel can last with this kind of bs once again.

Edited by Dizzy9
  • Love 8

Thanks for posting, Dizzy9.  Very interesting.  Especially since Rosie O was the sympathic host.

If Whoopi really didn't invite Rosie to her Christmas party, then there's little chance this will end well for both of them.

Here's the link, if anyone is interested:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2876770/Rosie-O-Donnell-goes-RAMPAGE-Bill-Cosby-victim-Beverly-Johnson-demands-cut-View-interview-favor-one-one-nemesis-Whoopi-Goldberg.html

I'm glad more and more media outlets are taking Whoopi to task for her unapologetic rejection of any accusations against Bill Cosby.  If she doesn't believe the women, fine, she is entitled to her opinion.  But it is just that, her opinion.  The rest of the world is entitled to their opinion.  As far as I can tell no one appointed Whoopi Goldberg as the final authority on anything.  :Let alone something that has absolutely nothing to do with her.  These women have their story to tell and every right to tell it.  Bill Cosby has his story to tell and apparently zero interest in doing that.  But unless Whoopi was drugged and/or raped by Cosby then I think she needs to keep her mouth shut on the subject.  The View audience is well aware of her seemingly disbelieve that any woman is every really "raped" raped so IMO she should just stay out of any discussion concerning rape. 

And I would 100%  believe Whoopi's camp is planting stories about the backstage doings at the View to skew things Whoopi's way.  Whatever.  It doesn't change what people see and hear on the show every day. 

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 15

Whoopi & Rosie Scream at Each Other

O'Donnell then told her fellow co-hosts that "without a doubt" she believes we live in a racist country, leading Goldberg to later state,  "You know what, listen, you are a white lady telling me what is racist to you which is fine."

And that's when s--t hit the fan.

"I'm a gay American whose been called an [expletive]" she screamed back at her co-host while noting the existence of homophobia in a America. "I have a black kid at my house, Whoopi. I have a black kid I raise!"

"That is not the same thing," Whoopi retorted.

"You don't have to be black to know what racism is," O'Donnell passionately replied, clearly heated by the exchange.

"Yes you do," Whoopi stated in a response before Cox took over the controversial conversation.

• Love 3

Interesting how that story is framed:  Whoopi "stated" and RO "screamed."  Whoopi "took the floor" and RO "wasn't having it."   Goldberg "questioned" and RO "exploded."    Again, RO "screamed" and Whoopi  "retorted."

Hmmmmmm.  I saw the same show quite differently as in, Whoopi cut her off, RO became heated, Goldberg refused to listen,  continued repeating her own opinion louder and louder waving her arms and shaking her fingers at the co-hosts and the audience 

ETA:  From my view, Whoopi was out of control and RO wanted to be acknowledged. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 20

Interesting how that story is framed:  Whoopi "stated" and RO "screamed."  Whoopi "took the floor" and RO "wasn't having it."   Goldberg "questioned" and RO "exploded."    Again, RO "screamed" and Whoopi  "retorted."

Hmmmmmm.  I saw the same show quite differently as in, Whoopi cut her off, RO became heated, Goldberg refused to listen,  continued repeating her own opinion louder and louder waving her arms and shaking her fingers at the co-hosts and the audience  

Exactly!!!

• Love 9

I have to admit that I am truly disgusted with the images all over the internets, regarding the "shouting match" between Whoopi and Rosie O. They have Whoopi looking all calm and sage-like, while Rosie is depicted with a scrunched up face and clearly "yelling."

It's gross.

• Love 13

Hmmm.  Interesting, even if it's The Daily Mail - notorious for making shit up.  I'd give this show a 50-50 chance of coming back next year since in my opinion it's been circling the drain for years despite the high hopes I had in September. 

This part cracked me up because 1) I think it's true, and 2)  "the source" could be half the people on this thread, me included, lol.  It's not like Whoopi (the great actor) has even bothered to act like she wanted to be there - first with the checking out and now with hijacking the show all the time.  I think anyone paying attention could see that.  As long as the checks keep coming, I'm sure she just as soon skip the whole thing rather than put in the five or so hours a week required. 

Whoopi is the winner either way. She's wanted out of this contract for years and begged to be let go during the show overhaul last summer. To get paid to just go home would make her very happy,' the source offered.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901076/The-beginning-end-Rosie-Whoopi-ABC-considers-abandoning-View-extending-Good-Morning-America-infighting-grows-ratings-plunge.html#ixzz3OlFrRFTf

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4