Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I feel sorry for Rosie P., too.  At this point, I hope they hire someone that makes it easy to delete the show from the DVR or at least delete if there isn't a guest I want to see.  Guest bookings seem to already have suffered without Rosie O.

Darn shame.

• Love 2

As Radar was first to report, moderator and longest-standing veteran Whoopi Goldberg, who often clashed with O’Donnell, is now in control of the show, and she’s already had a calming influence.

“Whoopi is the one relaxing more,” said the source.

Is Whoopi sharing her stash?

• Love 3
As Radar was first to report, moderator and longest-standing veteran Whoopi Goldberg, who often clashed with O’Donnell, is now in control of the show, and she’s already had a calming influence.

“Whoopi is the one relaxing more,” said the source.

Bolded emphasis mine--and what utter bullshit. Calming influence on whom? From what I've read here, she's been yelling and screaming, along with that idiot Nicolle.

In control? Since I'm not watching, is she now a producer? How is she in control of the show, other than her obvious, bullying ways, which she has been since this season premiered, because, in my opinion, she was jealous of Rosie O'Donnell's popularity.

• Love 6

I'm watching today's show & it doesn't look like a repeat!!??

I believe this week's are all repeats due to the upcoming Easter holiday?

How do we get our week of Mar.29?

This week's episode thread is up now. I apologize for the mistake as I too though it would be repeats this week. They have not taken a break in awhile.

• Love 1

According to Jenny the show's going down like the Titanic -

http://www.eonline.com/news/640935/jenny-mccarthy-was-asked-to-return-to-the-view-but-predicts-the-show-will-sink-like-the-titanic-listen-now

She says she couldn't be herself on the show. So apparently the producers came down on her but allow Whoopi to do whatever?

The biggest pile of horseshit I've ever read; especially how Wahlburg is quoted as saying "in six months they'll call you back" as if Jenny had quit; no, she was fired.  In all the years of the show, have they ever re-hired someone who was fired? And now Jenny is saying, no, no, I'manotgonnacomeback cuz I now have a job where I can be MYSELF!

In the words of Cher: "WhatEVERRRRRRR!!!!"

• Love 6

Yeah, I call BS on that whole story. If that alleged "producer" called at all I think at MOST it might have been to see if she had any interest in coming on the show as a guest to promote the reality show or something, as a kind of combo peace offering/publicity stunt. Nobody wants her back, and as it was, ABC took an enormous amount of heat for hiring the anti-vaxx queen in the first place and giving her a national platform to spew her irresponsible nonsense. I can't imagine they have any interest in jumping off of that particular bridge again.

As for her "prediction" that the Titanic is going down, well yeah, everybody thinks that. Her prediction is not exactly coming from a place of deep insight. She's just being Capt. Obvious. The only reason the old hulk is still afloat is because it still manages to pull in just enough viewers to keep it profitable (even if they only tune in to hate watch), and ABC hasn't come up with anything else for the timeslot that will guarantee them +/- 3 million viewers a day. It's not a "success" but more like a bad habit that has proved to be hard to break. So in the meantime, they just keep rearranging the chairs on the Titanic....

• Love 7

Total well deserved shut out on the Emmy nominations.  Ha!!!     Even though I don't put much stock in them ever since they actually gave the co-hosts a Daytime Emmy  I am chuckling because I know these things mean a lot to them. 

• Love 5

Looks like they managed to eek out an editing nod and a hairstyling nod, including Sabina Rojas, RO's personal hairstylist. That makes me happy.

What pisses me off is that snake oil salesman, Oz, is still oozing all over the Emmys. Ugh.

• Love 1
(edited)

Looks like they managed to eek out an editing nod and a hairstyling nod, including Sabina Rojas, RO's personal hairstylist. That makes me happy.

What pisses me off is that snake oil salesman, Oz, is still oozing all over the Emmys. Ugh.

Oh, so not a total shutout but I liked Sabina (she made videos with RO in the dressing room) so that's cool.  I don't watch him but maybe Oz is just an example of how little the Daytime Emmys mean anymore (what's the POP network?) 

I was watching The Talk when those co-hosts announced the nominations (and learned they were nominated) and let me tell you they were thrilled.  Of course I imagined the equally disappointed co-hosts of The Spew boohooing at the same time which was satisfying.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

I can't even imagine what show this season The View would have sent in for an Daytime Emmy nomination, lol. It is such a mess. 

RP has never changed her wig (I mean hair) and has already blown through 5 or 6 hair/makeup people. 

• Love 2

I remember BW saying on Letterman in the past Monica was a potential host.  Monica's entire "I was patient zero for cyberbullying" rubs me the wrong way because the situation she got herself into isn't the same as the torment children who get cyberbullied go through where they are emotionally/physically harassed at school and then can't even escape into the sanctuary of their home because of cyberbullying.  The last thing this show needs is another person with no talk show host experience.

• Love 5

Do you think there's any credibility to the rumor that Babs has tapped Monica Lewinsky to come on board as a host? Sounds like "desperacy" to me. 

I doubt it.  Babs doesn't have any say in what happens on this show anymore even though it will always be known as her creation. But maybe it's something that happened in the past.  She has always been fond of ML but I think that's more about the fact that Bab's interview with her was a ratings record setter (at least at the time) than anything about ML herself. 

It's kind of hilarious they are still "auditioning"  co-hosts.  They have been doing it for over a year now (first one seat and now two).     If the draw of the show is the relationship/chemistry (or lack of both) between the co-hosts then having one (or now two) rotating seats doesn't make any sense at all. 

• Love 3

The show is in reruns all next week. The repeats for next week are as follows:

Mo 4/6: Bryshere Y. Gray, Jussie Smollett, Becky Hammon, guest co-hosts Raven-Symone & Samantha Ponder (R 3/18/15)
Tu 4/7: Felicity Huffman, Timothy Hutton, Robby Benson, Zephyr Benson, guest co-hosts Raven-Symone & Cristela Alonzo (R 3/5/15)
We 4/8: Kathy Griffin, Nick Cannon, Grace Gealey, guest co-hosts Raven-Symone & Michelle Collins (R 3/16/15)
Th 4/9: Craig Ferguson, Rocco DiSpirito, Mikie Russo, guest co-hosts Cristela Alonzo & Stacy London (R 3/6/15)
Fr 4/10: Patricia Arquette, Cedric the Entertainer, Niecy Nash, guest co-hosts Mario Cantone & Garcelle Beauvais (R 3/13/15)

Same old thing with this show. I don't think they go far enough back when they air reruns.

Wouldn't it be cool if they used decade old shows for rerun weeks?   But of course they will not because I suspect the contrast would be too stark. 

• Love 8

Does anybody know when Sweeps ends? I keep checking tvbythenumbers because I can't wait to see the damage. The Talk already overtook them at the end of March.

Not that I'm a Talk fan, but the Whoopi show deserves to tank.

• Love 7
(edited)

Does anybody know when Sweeps ends? I keep checking tvbythenumbers because I can't wait to see the damage. The Talk already overtook them at the end of March. Not that I'm a Talk fan, but the Whoopi show deserves to tank. 

A quick Google search gave me these (from Wikipedia)  dates, but I don't know if they are accurate:   April 23- May 20, 2015

I'm thinking the May 20th date is right because that's Letterman's last show.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 2
(edited)

The View Drama After Barbara Walters' Departure, Battles Have Ensued _ Vanity Fair

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/the-view-barbara-walters-departure-drama

Vanity Fair has written a piece covering more about the producers of The View, and their screw ups, with only a bit about the hosts. It's a long read so I'll have to reread when I've got some time for it. But yet again, rehash of the Rosie stories and no critique of Whoopi. How does that keep happening?

Edited by Isisnin
  • Love 4

I read it....what hooey. And I normally love Vanity Fair. What is it with writers not watching the show and then declaring Rosie P "articulate", and saying BW hired women that "brought intellectual cool and gravitas"....Debbie, Jenny, Sherri, Elizabeth and Elisabeth, let alone WG?

• Love 6
(edited)

Well Vanity Fair has a lot hits and misses with what folks consider "journalism" imho, I take a lot of this with a grain of salt as it seems a well written recap of a lot of gossip that has been circulating on the internet for years, most of it probably somewhat true - but I love RO despite her foibles, I can't come close to mustering that for Whoopi's huge EGO.

What I adore the most about the piece is that it pulls no punches and gives no fucks about calling Jenny McCarthy out for exactly what she is no matter her claims that she's rethought it, an unabashed Anti-Vaccine Activist, which is precisely why I loathe the silly blonde.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 2

Bill Gedie's leaving was "mystifying"?  Really?

I also read that an thought WTF?  I thought it was universally accepted that HE was one of the major problems with the View and needed replaced.

IMO this show has steadily went downhill after Rosie O'Donnell's first tenure as co-host.  As much as I like her it was her addition to the show that gave Geddie his chance to position Elisabeth as a parrot for the Right Wing's talking points.  Rosie gave him the perfect opportunity to portray Elisabeth as the good little Conservative getting beat up by the big bad Liberal.  Once Rosie left and they added Whoopi and Sherri the View just continued it's downhill skid.  I don't know which was worse.  Whoopi's all knowing attitude or Sherri's no nothing attitude. 

The powers that be keep changing things they think are the problem.  Funny how the one thing they haven't changed is Whoopi Goldberg and surprise surprise the View still has problems.  I don't know if she has a sweetheart deal of a contract or what but the ABC suits can't be completely blind to how terrible she is.  From her juvenile jokes about body functions to her inability/unwillingness to even attempt to pronounce the correct names of people/things to her obnoxious holier than thou I know everything attitude surely the execs know at some point either she has to go or the View has to go.

• Love 9

I guess I'm a Rosie apologist, but the show was obviously boring and not doing well, so she was trying to fix it while also dealing with Whoopi's attitude and all the ideas just never went anywhere because there was no leadership.  I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been.  Plus, I imagine that long time producer of The View was a complete idiot and should have been fired for that email anyways.

I find it hard to believe Beverly Johnson wanted only Whoopi to interview her.  Why would you want to be interviewed by someone you know doesn't believe you and will be a rude bitch on live TV?

• Love 10
I guess I'm a Rosie apologist, but the show was obviously boring and not doing well, so she was trying to fix it while also dealing with Whoopi's attitude and all the ideas just never went anywhere because there was no leadership.  I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been.  Plus, I imagine that long time producer of The View was a complete idiot and should have been fired for that email anyways.

I find it hard to believe Beverly Johnson wanted only Whoopi to interview her.  Why would you want to be interviewed by someone you know doesn't believe you and will be a rude bitch on live TV?

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me. But maybe Beverly personally knows Whoopi? Or wanted to call her out for doubting victims in a one-on-one manner? 

And if that was true, why would Rosie be so irate at the producers for that?

Hindsight is 20/20, but the show was always best with Rosie AS MODERATOR. It didn't work when she was on the sidelines. She would have likely left anyway because of her personal issues (the article says her wife had left in October, which couldn't have been easy for her), but she's a consummate professional. She wanted the show to be better and more organized. Some of the battles were outside of her control -- unless ratings went way up and stayed there, I don't think there's any way that ABC could have avoided the in-show advertising. 

• Love 3

What I adore the most about the piece is that it pulls no punches and gives no fucks about calling Jenny McCarthy out for exactly what she is no matter her claims that she's rethought it, an unabashed Anti-Vaccine Activist, which is precisely why I loathe the silly blonde.

She also married and now ruined a decent man who now gets very upset and snaps if you make ANY comment that is even remotely negative her on Twitter but I digress.  I'll add more thoughts about the article once I read through it.

Went to see Pitch Perfect 2 over the weekend.  (If you liked the first one, you will enjoy this one even more.)  Since it's not spoiling anything about the movie (and spoiler tags are not working here) I'll just say it; at the start of the movie, the team has a disastrous performance and you go through a montage of talking heads and news reports.  It included about 30 seconds of Nicolle, Rosie and...Rosie discussing the topic.  Admittedly I was caught so off guard that I didn't even know what they said!

• Love 1

I just watched the final Letterman show..... Barbara Walters made an appearance on the final Top Ten list.... and of course.... she was the only one to miss her mark.... all those years on Tv and you would assume she could find the mark on the stage..... geez

• Love 2

Good grief....it seems like the show is purely choosing hosts based on nonsense.....Roise, Latina- check, Raven, gay and young -check, Michelle, young and comic -check, Nicolle, repub -check. Like they are filling slots without thinking. 

And great.....Raven being uninterested in politics going into a year of a POTUS election if signed on for next season.

I am lucky to know some younger people and they are very smart and informed. Raven is not, imo. I am not familiar with Michelle and don't find her amusing at all.....in fact I don't think of her much at all other that that. 

The hosts, combined with misinformed lukewarm topics, ABC guests and an occasional star forced to be there or know they can confidently manage being there doesn't even begin to make a show good.

And I thought for sure they would discuss Letterman today but since they weren't included they don't. Or at the least clarify WG's remarks that the woman that has skin cancer will look like that for the rest of her life. 

Now Nicolle thinks she is so funny saying that one has to smuggle Tim Tams across the border. Later she mumbled something about Target. Evidently she didn't know they can also be purchased on e-bay and amazon or at World Market.

Watching CNN and they just had the video about the mother shaming her daughter.....The View, iirc, cut out that the daughter was ordered to verbally say she still watched the Disney station and didn't know how to wipe her butt..........

• Love 3

I just watched the final Letterman show..... Barbara Walters made an appearance on the final Top Ten list.... and of course.... she was the only one to miss her mark.... all those years on Tv and you would assume she could find the mark on the stage..... geez

Ha!  I saw that too.   But I must say Babs looked good.  A little wax-museumy but good.

• Love 4

Oh good grief......."Every night she studies all the current events and topics for the next day?"

The show doesn't even know until the 4am guy and producers decide in the morning. Sigh.

She doesn't even know Africa IS a continent, as one poster over there commented. BTW....just like Palin. Sigh, again. 

• Love 3

Apparently, Christela was in negotiations to join the view, but her show was cancelled by ABC, so she is very bitter and says that she wants nothing to so with the network. She is very bitter over the whole thing and is sending out angry tweets over the whole situation...

Apparently, Christela was in negotiations to join the view, but her show was cancelled by ABC, so she is very bitter and says that she wants nothing to so with the network. She is very bitter over the whole thing and is sending out angry tweets over the whole situation...

Thank goodness!

Actually, Cristela says that's total tabloid BS made up by the Daily Mail. She says she was never supposed to join the View permanently, although it is true that after her sitcom was canceled she decided she wanted to take a "hiatus" from the network for a little while so she won't be back as a guest host. No angry tweets. Just a few disappointed (understandably) jokey/snarky ones. She wrote a lengthy blog post a couple of days after she got word of the cancellation and the closest to "bitter" she got was a sentence or three saying that she once had a show on Friday nights that was preempted a lot and had bad ratings. I don't know anything about her and I didn't watch the sitcom, but I did take a look at her Twitter feed and I read the blog post and I thought it was thoughtful albeit bittersweet. She mostly discussed what her dreams for the show had been and she spoke of her deceased mom (she posted on Mother's Day). It's worth a read FWIW.

• Love 2

I stand corrected...It was on one of those entertainment shows on TV and I assumed it was legitimate...lol...It was the same show that used to talk about friction on the show between Rosie and the whoopster....

Actually, Cristela says that's total tabloid BS made up by the Daily Mail. She says she was never supposed to join the View permanently, although it is true that after her sitcom was canceled she decided she wanted to take a "hiatus" from the network for a little while so she won't be back as a guest host. No angry tweets. Just a few disappointed (understandably) jokey/snarky ones. She wrote a lengthy blog post a couple of days after she got word of the cancellation and the closest to "bitter" she got was a sentence or three saying that she once had a show on Friday nights that was preempted a lot and had bad ratings. I don't know anything about her and I didn't watch the sitcom, but I did take a look at her Twitter feed and I read the blog post and I thought it was thoughtful albeit bittersweet. She mostly discussed what her dreams for the show had been and she spoke of her deceased mom (she posted on Mother's Day). It's worth a read FWIW.

I stand corrected...It was on one of those entertainment shows on TV and I assumed it was legitimate...lol...It was the same show that used to talk about friction on the show between Rosie and the whoopster....Now that I think about it, it did seem out of character for her to be bitter, because she seems like a happy person who knows that this business is very fickle and that there are no guarantees..

• Love 1

I stand corrected...It was on one of those entertainment shows on TV and I assumed it was legitimate...lol...It was the same show that used to talk about friction on the show between Rosie and the whoopster....Now that I think about it, it did seem out of character for her to be bitter, because she seems like a happy person who knows that this business is very fickle and that there are no guarantees..

I wouldn't be surprised if she was a little bitter. They did greenlight a network show for her but then they put it in the infamous Friday night death slot and preempted it a bunch of times. I just couldn't find any online evidence that supported the Daily Mail's contention that she was super angry and bitter and scuttled View negotiations in a huff. Her comedy isn't my cup of tea, but the few times I've seen her she seemed like a nice, sharp young woman (with an unfortunately irritating laugh). Personally, I think she's wise to run away from The View as fast as she can, whatever the reason. ;)

• Love 4

From the article- "The View is likely facing other hosting changes as only Whoopi Goldberg has a deal for next season."

That is the problem right there! Can't anyone that runs this show see how bad she is? It's not going to matter who else they get, Whoopi is just wrong for the job and ruins the discussion on a daily basis. Do people really want another guaranteed year of Whoopi's View? She is so domineering and stale, it's just awful, imo.

• Love 10

I think Whoopi probably has a contract that states she will get paid the full amount of the contract even if she is fired.  So ABC would probably want to make her "work" for her money rather than pay her to go away.  And honestly at this point I doubt the people in charge even care.  The show must make them money or it wouldn't still be on the air. 

I wonder if they even do polls or focus groups to gauge public opinion of the View.  I know back in the day they did and Star Jones had a very low approval rating.  The problem is most of the time people polled aren't necessarily people who actually watch the show.  So I could see Whoopi having high numbers just from people knowing her as an actress and not as the totally inept moderator of a daytime talk show.

• Love 5