Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I don't know much about Paula but I don't think I would lump her in the same category as Candace Cameron Bure or Michelle Duggar.... she seems way less emotional/crazy about religion

Other message boards on ABC's page are being shut down too. I'd assume all of them. As far as The View's message boards, off topic is the norm, many, many threads off topic. Quite a while ago (before they "tweaked" it"), there were awful posts on there, it would be one post that would be copied and run pages and pages long. "Tweaking" does not work for ABC.

I was just coming to post the same thing. It looks like all of the ABC show message boards are shutting down, not just The View's. They've probably made a decision not to continue to maintain and upgrade their boards, particularly since just about every show has its own Facebook page and Twitter accounts and Instagram etc etc now anyway. I think more and more networks are going to get away from hosting their own boards. It's redundant when there are so many other options that more people use.

• Love 1

You mean we are going to get THREE bible nuts with only Whoopi and Raven to counter? Oy vey! People are actually getting paid to formulate this show. They see it sucks so they just pile on more suck. With the election year coming up, they are missing a huge opportunity to have actual debates on the topics that are important in this country. Now, we are going to get Whoopi's big mouth without facts, rantings from Bure, stupidity from Sherri and an 'Oh Well, I'm from another planet' from Raven. Giant eyeroll.

• Love 6

Thanks, marny. I actually forgot about Michelle already. :) Hopefully, she can have some good responses though from what I've seen, I'm not too confident she alone could overcome the voices of Whoopi, Raven, Sherri and Candace.

They really are making it hard for me to quit this show. It is like some sick addiction to train wreck tv, lol. I have to see how low they can go! Maybe that's their angle for the next season. "Next season on The View. You thought we were dumb before, wait till you see THIS season!"

• Love 10
(edited)

No, you're right. Michelle likely won't get a word in edgewise. She'll attempt to interrupt with a joke and Sherri and Whoopi will talk over her and shut her down. I'm guessing she won't last the season.

Edited by marny
  • Love 8

Well, I like that Joy said no unless she was given a certain amount of clout on the show.  Good for her.

Also interesting that she confirms that someone decided she and Elisabeth both had to go.  So much for a great opportunity arising for Elisabeth on Fox, and that being the catalyst for her departure.

Lies, lies, lies.  No wonder no one believes how much they all love each other.  

• Love 6

The murder of Cecil the lion has really broken my heart…glad they didn't have some sort of looney defence of it (except a little from the Good Morning America person…Sara?----you're dead to me for that, btw).

And then these images re-surfaced today.  Again, heartbreaking and completely in step with the family vibe….

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114122/Donald-Eric-Trump-pictured-posing-trophy-carcasses-big-African-hunt.html

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, I like that Joy said no unless she was given a certain amount of clout on the show.  Good for her.

Also interesting that she confirms that someone decided she and Elisabeth both had to go.  So much for a great opportunity arising for Elisabeth on Fox, and that being the catalyst for her departure.

Joy's already good rating just went way way up in my book.   Good for her!!!  

I don't think anyone ever believed Bits left The Spew to take the Faux News gig; her firing was leaked months before she got that job - plus Sherri inferred it on Twitter as early as January if I remember correctly.     I'm 100% certain that was Sweaty Bill Geddie and Babs calling in favors from Roger Ailes to find someplace else for Bitsy to go after someone at ABC finally decided enough was enough.  And the minute the ink was dry on the F&F contract she suddenly left The View - a very good day for this View watcher and I remember all the celebrating we did online at TWoP after that show.  It gave me hope at the time but then we got The Year of Barbara. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

I was a huge fan of Joy in the prime of the show, but once she got her own show she got tired and too afraid to give her actual opinions. She resorted to cheap one liners...almost eerily similar to Michelle now.

With that being said its very telling that she recognizes all that needs to change with the show to make it successful again and they refuse to listen. Like she said she was with the show for years and knows what needs to happen but they obviously aren't interested. Total bummer.

Her and Elisabeth's firings really was a miscalculation. BW was always so focused on "Q" ratings and it did Star, Elisabeth and Joy in--three panelists who knew how to bring it on a show like this. Meanwhile Whoopi has a Q rating through the roof and, well, yeah.

• Love 5

Honestly I thought Elisabeth was fired and Joy leaving was her own decision.... go figure

• Love 2

Honestly I thought Elisabeth was fired and Joy leaving was her own decision.... go figure

I don't think Joy lost any sleep over it.  She was probably ready to get out of there. Bits was a deer in the headlights after a weekend of rumors and next BW told us Bits was staying.

We are so much smarter than anyone at  The View and didn't believe it!

• Love 7

I wonder what power Joy wants.  The show's such a mess as is, I can see them not wanting another chef in the kitchen.

Even if Rosie had stuck it out with Whoopi, I bet she would have quit over Nicolle and Rosie P. being fired because she had grown way too close to them.

In regards to Joy saying, "Don't believe everything you read" about Barbara supposedly wanting her to return: to be honest, I've always suspected that Barbara played a part in Joy's departure. Ego, basically. With Joy leaving the season before her, Barbara would be the co-host with longest reign on the show she created. I'm sure there were other reasons, but I've always thought that might've played a part.

• Love 4

I also read the paper copy of TV Guide.  LOL.  The article was a lot kinder to the View than we are here at PTV.  The writer thinks Barbara leaving was what made it the mess it is today.  I disagree.  I think keeping Whoopi while they kick out everyone else is the problem.  Whoopi is THE only co-host who is still there since Rosie O left the first time.  If things have continued to worsen over the years I think I can see why.  Is ABC so unwilling to just cut her check and do the viewers a favor and let Whoopi go?  Because if they are then that will be what kills the View.  They can add and subtract as many new co-hosts as they want.  It doesn't change the fact that Whoopi sits at that table everyday being rude and obnoxious and basically giving the audience the finger by telling them she doesn't want to  hear anything from them.  Whoopi has been in this business long enough to know without an audience you won't last.  You can only live on  your past achievements for so long.  Yeah yeah she is an EGOT winner and a movie stah but what has she done for us lately?

• Love 12

I think the plan might have been to fire Rosie P in january , but then Rosie o quit during that time. I remember thinking that Rosie p wasn't the problem..that it was Rosie o and Whoopi that were the problem.

I think that nicole would have fit in well had she been on the show during the meredith/starr/lisa Ling era..imho.

• Love 2

I think that nicole would have fit in well had she been on the show during the meredith/starr/lisa Ling era..imho.

There was no need for Nicolle during the time when the show had Meredith, Starr, Lisa...because then, the show already had a good mix of hosts. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

She has some dignity, another job with MSNBC (right?), and a husband who also pulls in a steady paycheck so doesn't need the money. Unlike Sherri who jumped at the chance to sign a contract to return as a guest cohost next season - she needs the money and the valuable chance to keep her name in the news and her face in the media.

• Love 7

She has some dignity, another job with MSNBC (right?), and a husband who also pulls in a steady paycheck so doesn't need the money. Unlike Sherri who jumped at the chance to sign a contract to return as a guest cohost next season - she needs the money and the valuable chance to keep her name in the news and her face in the media.

Don't forget she's an author, a real one who actually wrote the books with books with her name on them, unlike Sherri et al.  Next year (not this year Whoopi) is also a presidential election year and I'm sure she will be asked to make an appearance on the political shows from time to time as well.   Plus, in case you didn't hear she has a three year old at home, lol and would like to keep her schedule her own.  

But mostly, Nicole saying "Thanks but no thanks" to the part time offer mostly means she has some class and dignity which as far as I'm concerned pretty much sets her apart from everyone else at the table for next season.  

• Love 6

Yes, I forgot the author part, thanks for adding that. Bottomline, Nicolle doesn't need The View and will do just fine career-wise without it. That being said, her short stint on it certainly put her name and face out there to a big audience and that benefited her. I never watch that other news show she is on but plan to check it out to see her demeanor and delivery on there, especially during this upcoming election year.

Sherri, on the other hand, probably has a shorter career-span and hustles to take almost any gig to generate income while she can. I hope for her and Jeffrey's sake, she has the smarts to be investing/saving lots of that money for the lean years down the road. She didn't have the dignity to say "no" when asked to fill in next season - she wants that money and TV exposure. I am still shocked to read that she was even asked back....ugh.

• Love 4

Yes, I forgot the author part, thanks for adding that. Bottomline, Nicolle doesn't need The View and will do just fine career-wise without it. That being said, her short stint on it certainly put her name and face out there to a big audience and that benefited her. I never watch that other news show she is on but plan to check it out to see her demeanor and delivery on there, especially during this upcoming election year.

Sherri, on the other hand, probably has a shorter career-span and hustles to take almost any gig to generate income while she can. I hope for her and Jeffrey's sake, she has the smarts to be investing/saving lots of that money for the lean years down the road. She didn't have the dignity to say "no" when asked to fill in next season - she wants that money and TV exposure. I am still shocked to read that she was even asked back....ugh.

Well Sherri has good company - we know Whoopi is only there for the paycheck.   I can't compare Sherri to Nicole because I can't think of even one thing besides working as a co-host on this show that they have in common.   Sherri is an actress, comedian, and a moron.  Nicole is none of those things.  Ha!  

• Love 5

I wouldn't think twice about taking the job at the View if I were Sherri.  The financial burden on her must be huge…..single mom paying mortgage, private school, child support….and everything else.  

• Love 2

Im sure Sherri is taking the gig out of ego more than anything else.... cause ya know... she is going back to save the show....... Obviously the show has gone down hill since Sherri left.... it is the least she can do

No doubt.  So, Sherri is double blessed (Jesus worked this contract!) her ego is restored and she gets to work a few hours a week and is paid very well for it.  She also has someone lay out an outfit for her to wear each day and have hair and m/u people get her ready for her job (she doesn't even have to maintain her busted weave/wigs herself).  Not bad at all.  God is good  :)

• Love 4

BUT -  wasn't it GOD who told Sherri to leave The View in the first place?  

Ruining his all-knowing reputation by changing his mind like that!

Is that how it works? God is just sitting at a desk on conference call w Sherri?

"Sherri, it's been 7 yrs I think it's time to quit"

Two weeks later

"yeah Sherri, this ain't working out like I thought, Ya better get your ass back on the View cause nobody else wants you"

• Love 8

Has the supposed "deal" for Sherri to return part-time to The View been announced yet? I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a done deal and Sherri and her people are leaking it these past few weeks to put pressure on ABC to finalize.

I have long felt that Sherri works the press hard behind the scenes. To this day I refuse to believe the story that the show wanted her to renew her contract but Sherri quit because she thought ABC was lowballing the salary. The woman is very money-conscious and would not have walked away from a steady paycheck, esp one that had allowed her to pursue other jobs - her own sitcom, various movies, Newlywed Game, etc. Plus I never got the sense that Babs was so crazy about her, and Sherri has since made snide remarks about her.

• Love 5
I have long felt that Sherri works the press hard behind the scenes.

I agree, Mumbles.  I consider her one of the marginally-talented people in showbiz, but she is persistent!  She probably bothers-bothers-bothers every level of employee until she gets a foot in the door and THEN she really starts the pressure.  

Has the supposed "deal" for Sherri to return part-time to The View been announced yet? I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a done deal and Sherri and her people are leaking it these past few weeks to put pressure on ABC to finalize.

I have long felt that Sherri works the press hard behind the scenes. To this day I refuse to believe the story that the show wanted her to renew her contract but Sherri quit because she thought ABC was lowballing the salary. The woman is very money-conscious and would not have walked away from a steady paycheck, esp one that had allowed her to pursue other jobs - her own sitcom, various movies, Newlywed Game, etc. Plus I never got the sense that Babs was so crazy about her, and Sherri has since made snide remarks about her.

I agree..I think Barbara dislike for Sherri became apparent after Sherrie had an interview in a Christian magazine and said that she  was praying for Barbara for her to repent and accept Jesus..She had to qualify her statements and apologize to Barbara..Before that, Barbara was very protective and very giving to Sherrie...Barbara is the type that knows how to hold on to a grudge and she is very stealth like a leopard..If it wasn't for the way that Rosie left the show in 2007 after her fight with Bitsy, she would have canned her and Elizabeth a long time ago..Barbara has always been obsessed with her image and she wanted to the facade of a happy family at the view to remain..

.Remember how she responded when Star went off the script and blindsided the show with her announcement that her contract was not going to be renewed by the show..She was supposed to say that she was leaving on her own, Barbara was livid and she  was fit to be tied...lol 

With that bold move, Star redeemed herself in my eyes for her attitude on the show, when she was getting married .....lol..Queen Barbara did not like to be beaten at her own game....I loved Star that day.......

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6

There was one incident where I remember Barbara getting very upset with Sherri. Barbara was reporting on a piece published by the NY Times that Rick Perry's ranch had previously been named "Niggerhead Ranch." Sherri got very animated and told Barbara that she did NOT want Barbara using that word. Barbara was quite taken aback and tried to explain that she was not "using" the word, just repeating the historical fact as reported in the Times. Whoopi backed up Babs. Sherri wasn't having any of it and repeated her opinion that Barbara had no right to use that word under any circumstance.

That afternoon, Sherri took to Twitter praising what a wonderful pioneer and role model Babs was. She was practically grovelling. I can only imagine the screamfest by Babs after the show ended that day.

After that, I assumed Sherri's days were numbered. Babs could overlook the embarrassing ignorance (not knowing the world was round), but not being called a racist.

• Love 8

I remember that day, Mumbles. Tbh, I was completely on Barbara's side when that happened. She basically warned the audience before it was said that she was only saying it because of the topic, but Sherri was still having none of it. I wish Barbara had never hired her. The odd thing is I remember liking Sherri before she came on The View. Something about seeing someone regularly in a live setting just alters your opinion entirely. Sherri's good when reading a script and not much else.

• Love 6

Thanks for posting above link to Nicolle article. Boy daytime TV behind the scenes hiring/firing practices are cold!

So they offered Nicole one day a week?! Wonder if TBTB wanted to get 5 guest cohosts (Sherrie S, Nicolle, etc) to each fill in one day a week next season - so Monday's would be "Funny" day with Sherrie doing silly skits and making inane comments , Tuesday would be "Politics" day with Nicolle contributing a bit of gravitas, and so on. I couldn't believe when I read Sherry would be back. Know she would jump at the chance for the PR exposure and steady paycheck, and they probably got her cheap, but such a negative step for the show and makes next season not something to look forward to.

I do plan to tape Meredith V's revamped show next season to check it out.

• Love 5

I found it funny she mentioned feeling like she was "invisible," because I think that describes her entire tenure on The View. I'm not sure the average person would know her name if they saw a picture of her even after being on this show for a year. And there were so many times throughout the year that she gave opinions that didn't feel as if she really believed what she was saying at all. So, in a sense, we never really got to know much of anything about her besides, "I'm the Republican."

• Love 2

From the Variety article:

Although Wallace, the former communications chief for President George W. Bush, received props from viewers and the staff for her laidback style, executives under ABC News president James Goldston decided in the spring that they were dissatisfied that she didn’t bicker with her co-hosts during Hot Topics.

As an explanation of WHY she would want to be in this shitty show in the first place she noted that she used to watch Hot Topics all the time when she worked in the White House - TEN YEARS AGO.   It was a completely different show. 

So no notes, no communication from ABC, nothing.  Sounds about right.  So Long Nicole, you were always too good for this ShitShow.   I love that you aren't coming back "one day a week" and that you are too busy to tune in.  

• Love 11

I found it funny she mentioned feeling like she was "invisible," because I think that describes her entire tenure on The View. I'm not sure the average person would know her name if they saw a picture of her even after being on this show for a year. And there were so many times throughout the year that she gave opinions that didn't feel as if she really believed what she was saying at all. So, in a sense, we never really got to know much of anything about her besides, "I'm the Republican."

In that article she sounded disengenious

The conservative next season will be Candace Cameron Bure. Is she political?

I asked her once about politics and she said she’s just becoming more interested in politics.

How is that going to work?

I think she’ll be great. The one thing I think that is the most important to your success is the support of executives you work for, and she has that.

She speaks on the edge of the truth.. and honestly it cant be trusted

• Love 2

What a shitshow. The panel will not have one person with any gravitas in any area other than in just being famous. All are former sitcom stars. What a sad, sad, SAD state of affairs from when Joy, Meredith, Star and Lisa were there.

I know that the show CAN be saved. They move in the right direction - the beginning of last season - then instead of tweaking that, they throw out the whole formula and start over again. Sherri? FFS. Why not go back to what made the show great all those years ago? Grab a journalist. Get a lawyer. Limit the comedian to one or two - not three. Who cares if there is a conservative voice? Do Republicans really want CCB representing them?

I'm not sure the average person would know her name if they saw a picture of her even after being on this show for a year.

I don't think that's a problem. The View seems intent on grabbing these well known names without thinking through how they'll actually workout. WTF was their thought process with Jenny McCarthy, other than people know who she is?

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 9

What a shitshow. The panel will not have one person with any gravitas in any area other than in just being famous. All are former sitcom stars. What a sad, sad, SAD state of affairs from when Joy, Meredith, Star and Lisa were there.

I know that the show CAN be saved. They move in the right direction - the beginning of last season - then instead of tweaking that, they throw out the whole formula and start over again. Sherri? FFS. Why not go back to what made the show great all those years ago? Grab a journalist. Get a lawyer. Limit the comedian to one or two - not three. Who cares if there is a conservative voice? Do Republicans really want CCB representing them?

The good start last season wasn't tossed out so much as Whoopi dismantled it one piece at a time - from the set, to the setup, to the co-hosts.

I disagree this show can be saved - at least until it decides what kind of show it wants to be.  Hell, even when it was a just a show for snark material (which for me was the last 6/7 seasons it was still fun.  I found the last few months honestly unwatchable.  

But first ABC needs to pick some POWERS THAT BE, and then TPTB need to decide what kind of show it is: political, celebrity gossip, whatever.  I think Wendy's show works because she picked a lane and stays in it.  The View is all over the place without a rudder or an anchor. 

• Love 8