Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Sweet Tooth

• Start Topic

HALLOWEEN PARTY TIME — With the instruction of Harry (Rupert Evans), the sisters are put through witch lessons, so they are able to properly practice their magic.  However, when Macy (Madeleine Mantock) learns of a mysterious death in her lab from Galvin (Ser’Darius Blain), she informs her sisters and together, they devise a plan to suss out the demon.  Trying to speed the plan along, Mel (Melonie Diaz) uses her magic irresponsibly leaving Harry no choice but to constrain her, which creates tension between them.  Meanwhile, Maggie (Sarah Jeffery) continues to struggle at balancing her two worlds – her sorority one and her witch one – especially after she volunteers to throw a Halloween party at her house.  Ellen Tamaki and Nick Hargrove also star. Michael Allowitz directed the episode written by Joey Falco (#103).  Original airdate 10/28/2018

It was a slight increase in quality week to week but I feel like the sisters arent really allowed to grow that much as Charmed Ones. The only thing that seems to move ahead are their romances and Maggies pledging.

The quick training at the beginning of the episode was nice, would've preferred it be longer but whatever. Maggie being more interested in texting then defeating a fake demon....girl..not a good look. Are you interested in this witch thing or no? I do like that Mel is very into being a witch and knowing all that she can know but girl needs to take some baby steps instead of trying to master some big ass spell that can take out an entire room!

Mel having her girlfriend over for a sleepover and then going upstairs to do some witch reading...not the smartest idea, she probably needs to choose one or the another some nights. Its to big of a risk that she finds out your secret because you want to have your cake and eat it to. If and when the writers tone down Mel's extreme "you are a white male, I dont need your help, dont take my wins" she will be so much more enjoyable. I am glad that she learned that she needs to slow it down a little and listen to Harry when it comes to magic.

Maggie doesnt care about training but girl has got personal gain to do a T! She can make drinks out of thin air and sexy outfits out of thin air. Mels girlfriend is a cop and is fine with all of this what I assume is underage drinking? So Maggie glamoured everything around her and about her and as a consequence it seemed to give her cramps? Was that what it was?  Of course the guy that Maggie is crushing on is her Kappa sisters boyfriend! I want this whole pledging thing to be done and over with. This show is so focused around campus that it kills me.

We got to find out more about Macy and Mel. Macy didnt have the greatest time in school and thus she is very reserved. She likes her personal space and isnt into being sexy. It seemed to be wrapped up rather quickly but I hope they still keep that aspect of her around a little bit longer. Macy is also a 28yr old virgin! That is certainly not common for tv dramas so I hope they do this storyline well, especially since she got her mack on with her boyfriend who is not her boyfriend at the end of the episode. Not sure why Macy was so excited to use her powers at the end of the episode when she used them perfectly at the beginning.

Stray thoughts:

The sisters dont even need to look through the book for what they need? It just reads their minds and flips to it automatically? Especially with personal gain?

A lot of people around the net have talked about the original Charmed Ones being all about their men well...these witches are already very much about their love interests. We are still very early into this series and we are spending to much time on trying to get these sisters hooked up with people. 

Once again TCO do something that needs Harry to save them. Mel almost kills Macy and Harry has to save her. Though I guess this helps Mel get past her bitterness towards him. 

So they cant vanquish this demon, they have to wait for The Elders to come down and do their thing? These sisters barely have any agency. LET THEM have to do things on their own, save some innocents without having to rely on Harry.

• Love 4

So, I found this episode slightly better than the first two. I found myself caring a little bit more, especially once I let go the notion that this show is anything like the original. It's still not great, but since I suspect it'll be around for a few years, I'm still deciding how much I like it and if it's worth watching for the long-term. 

I do like getting a bit more insight into Macy and Harry. I actually was...mostly fine with Harry. Sure, I don't like him hanging around as much when the sisters are fighting, though I understand why he may. I just find that he could loosen up a little and not explain so much, especially while they're fighting. It was kind of cool to see him use his healing power again. And though I think they should have waited a few more episodes to give his backstory on his last charge, it did work with helping me understand him more.

So, Maggie meets Parker, who already seems suspicious to me, and he's dating the blonde leader of the Kappa House? Ah, a love triangle already! I guess that took longer than I thought. Macy and Galvin are....alright, I guess. I will admit to getting annoyed when he was whining about Macy not spending time with him when he literally just arrived at the party. I doubt it took Macy two hours to get those ingredients for the protection spell, and he's complaining about her ignoring him all night. Boy, it's been ten minutes, at most! Chill out, dude. I mean, otherwise, he seems nice and all. 

Mel and Niko are pretty good together, and I think if anyone's finding out about the Veras being witches sooner rather than later, it should technically be Niko. However, they may go another route and have Niko not find out first, like I expect she would. Niko's a detective, which means she'd pick up on the little things, such as what Harry was talking about with Mel freezing time and someone catching on. 

The Harbinger demon stuff was actually pretty cool to see, especially with the Halloween costume. 

Overall, I'm slowly liking this show better. It's still taking some time. Maggie's still my favourite. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

"you are a white male, I dont need your help, dont take my wins"

I've actually said.. Don't take my win white man to my dad a few times so I laughed pretty hard at that exchange... It hit home for me and my friends... As for that new guy ( Sarah J's 276th white tv love Interest)  he seems shady

• Love 1

I was more interested in what the definition of a virgin was. Was a lesbian that has never slept with a man still a virgin, they removed that from the table by having the lesbian say she slept with one man. Does masturbation, sex toys, or using other orifices negate your virginal status? I didn't like the guy hitting on Maggie, I am sure he is shady. They should keep shoving cookies down the Harbinger's throat until she explodes.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

IA lot of people around the net have talked about the original Charmed Ones being all about their men well...these witches are already very much about their love interests. We are still very early into this series and we are spending to much time on trying to get these sisters hooked up with people. 

The OG Charmed 3 were all about men from the jump, as well. The pilot had Pru's ex, and Piper's date who turned out to be a demon who was stalking them; Andy was lurking around; Leo was introduced in the third episode; and Piper has an emotional fling with a dead John Cho in the fourth episode (WHICH I 100% UNDERSTAND).
I like how while the girls may still be reckless to an extent, Harry's tough yet still capable of positive reinforcement at the end of the episode. Not to continue the compare and contrast, but Leo always let the girls push him around. 
I'm super ready for this pledging storyline to be over, though.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

We got to find out more about Macy and Mel. Macy didnt have the greatest time in school and thus she is very reserved. She likes her personal space and isnt into being sexy. It seemed to be wrapped up rather quickly but I hope they still keep that aspect of her around a little bit longer. Macy is also a 28yr old virgin! That is certainly not common for tv dramas so I hope they do this storyline well, especially since she got her mack on with her boyfriend who is not her boyfriend at the end of the episode. Not sure why Macy was so excited to use her powers at the end of the episode when she used them perfectly at the beginning.

I thought this plot line was a good idea since it is really a way of being diverse in this show but I didn't realize Macy was so much older.  She is my favorite so far but she has zero chemistry with the guy she supposedly likes. Plus he was a major kill joy.  I truly hope he gets written out soon.

I enjoyed the backstory with Harry. Before it came out I was thinking, it is quite enough not to have any history on Harry.   Again, however, he is quite a lot on a show that is supposed to be about the girls. And in a tux... yikes anyone noticing that Harry is pretty good looking too? Just saying. 

I thought it was the best of the three, Macy did crack me up when she was looking for supplies and made a remark like these girls didn't know their mother was a witch?

• Love 7
4 hours ago, jmonique said:

The OG Charmed 3 were all about men from the jump, as well. The pilot had Pru's ex, and Piper's date who turned out to be a demon who was stalking them; Andy was lurking around; Leo was introduced in the third episode; and Piper has an emotional fling with a dead John Cho in the fourth episode (WHICH I 100% UNDERSTAND).
I like how while the girls may still be reckless to an extent, Harry's tough yet still capable of positive reinforcement at the end of the episode. Not to continue the compare and contrast, but Leo always let the girls push him around. 
I'm super ready for this pledging storyline to be over, though.

Prue was already over Roger in the pilot, yeah we had Andy who was established as an old flame and also built up, piper had a 1 off connection with a ghost, she also had a build up to Leo and started the show in a long term relationship with Jeremy. But it took us 5 seasons to even get all 3 sisters in a relationship at the same time.

Maggies spent 3 episodes having some kind of boy troubles, Mel has her Girlfriend who already had a brief tiff and now Macy with whatever happens with her guy. We need some time to really get to know the sisters and get this witch thing down.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BooBear said:

I thought this plot line was a good idea since it is really a way of being diverse in this show but I didn't realize Macy was so much older.  She is my favorite so far but she has zero chemistry with the guy she supposedly likes. Plus he was a major kill joy.  I truly hope he gets written out soon.

I enjoyed the backstory with Harry. Before it came out I was thinking, it is quite enough not to have any history on Harry.   Again, however, he is quite a lot on a show that is supposed to be about the girls. And in a tux... yikes anyone noticing that Harry is pretty good looking too? Just saying. 

I thought it was the best of the three, Macy did crack me up when she was looking for supplies and made a remark like these girls didn't know their mother was a witch?

I liked that part too. 

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. Shades of Evil Dead with the harbinger. That make up was scary! 

Maggie really reminds me of Phoebe too. 

• Love 2

Good god I couldn't make it through this whole episode I tried I really did but the "tracking" bracelet bit popped up and I was out ... so now a whitelighter doesn't have a clue where his charges are and has to have a bracelet to "track" a witch? and to treat her like a 5 yo with the i have to be around when you use magic but doesn't do the same to the sister that is using her magic hella more for personal gain? And it seems like Elders are even more useless then whitelighters in this version....the writing for this show is just all over the place

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 1

Mel gives a speech about how her mother raised her with no judgements, then she gives a weird look when Macy says that she's still a virgin. Oh Mel, never change.

I still don't feel anything between Galvin and Macy. He seems kind of needy and bland. I know that the show won't go there, but I still feel like there's more chemistry between Macy and Harry than any other relationship on the show. Whether they hook up or not, I do like the scenes between them.

I feel like the blonde Cappa girl could be written as a jerk, but I like that she seems sweet. Her boyfriend is trash, so I hope the show doesn't go for the love triangle and instead brings the blonde and Maggie closer as friends as they ditch the obvious cheater.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Prue was already over Roger in the pilot, yeah we had Andy who was established as an old flame and also built up, piper had a 1 off connection with a ghost, she also had a build up to Leo and started the show in a long term relationship with Jeremy. But it took us 5 seasons to even get all 3 sisters in a relationship at the same time.

Plus, Andy grew up with Prue, Piper and Phoebe.  He had a bond with the sisters, in addition to his past romance with Prue. Season 1 was all about Prue and Andy reconnecting, Prue trying to keep Andy from finding out her secret and Andy suspicious and being frustrated with Prue's distance, lack of trust and secrecy. It also grounded the sisters to reality. Unlike Phoebe's romance with Cole that destroyed Phoebe, in my opinion. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm over this "Maggie pledges a sorority" plot, it's stupid & boring.

It's especially stupid and boring because it's not at all how sororities operate - but expecting to see accuracy on TV about Greek life is hoping for something beyond hope anyway lol. But it takes me right out of the story every time because of all the inaccuracies.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Mel gives a speech about how her mother raised her with no judgements, then she gives a weird look when Macy says that she's still a virgin. Oh Mel, never change.

I still don't feel anything between Galvin and Macy. He seems kind of needy and bland. I know that the show won't go there, but I still feel like there's more chemistry between Macy and Harry than any other relationship on the show. Whether they hook up or not, I do like the scenes between them.

I feel like the blonde Cappa girl could be written as a jerk, but I like that she seems sweet. Her boyfriend is trash, so I hope the show doesn't go for the love triangle and instead brings the blonde and Maggie closer as friends as they ditch the obvious cheater.

I kept wondering if he is going to end up being "Cole". 

I, too am over Maggie and this sorority business.  She really doesn't need them to live her best college life. You'd think being a witch is more exciting...

I didn't mind the tracking bracelet because Mel is so extreme in her actions. "I'm not going to be reckless anymore." Heh. 

If Harry was to ever hook up with a sister, (I really don't want to see that) let it be Macy.   

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I, too am over Maggie and this sorority business.  She really doesn't need them to live her best college life. You'd think being a witch is more exciting...

I didn't mind the tracking bracelet because Mel is so extreme in her actions. "I'm not going to be reckless anymore." Heh. 

If Harry was to ever hook up with a sister, (I really don't want to see that) let it be Macy.   

I don't think it will be Mel and Maggie is too young for him. 

• Love 1

And the ending of the episode.  Mel used a spell that almost killed Macy, yet the demon is still alive?  Now it is chained up in the attic? Do the Elders have to use Spirit to get there?  Shouldn't Vera Manor have a basement to store dangerous things? That is the only peeves I have in this episode.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, BooBear said:

And before that, Maggie found some wolfsbane or something, and was like "How did we not know mom was a witch?" That got a real giggle out of me. 

The Halloween costumes were fun, and, honestly, if I had magic powers, I would probably use them to throw a really cool Halloween party, or something like that. I would like to think that I would also want to fight demons and feed the homeless and stuff, but wouldn't I have more time to do all that if I could use magic to do my laundry and give my hair decent volume?!?! But now our old buddie personal gain has returned! I got so sick of those words on OG Charmed, but they seem to be going light on it with this show. 

Liked the backstory for Harry, and him acknowledging that Mel did a lot of good, while also messing up. It was also nice to get some more insight into Macy and her issues, and I even liked the little subplot of Maggie trying to bond with Macy. I felt like Maggie was trying to reach out and bond with her new sister, and when Macy realized what she was doing, she let her in more. I hope that Macy gets a better love interest though, if everyone needs one. This guy seems kind of judgy and bland. 

The demon looked cool, and the POV shots were very Evil Dead

This really isnt how Greek life works, at all, but at least the blond Cappa girl showed some actual sweetness towards Maggie tonight. I was getting really annoyed at the show doing the "Sorority girls are all shallow bitches" stereotype, so it was nice to see a bit of actual sisterhood from them. Her boyfriend is apparently an asshole though. And he was cute too damn it!

The show is clearly still trying to find itself, but it seems to be improving. 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

And before that, Maggie found some wolfsbane or something, and was like "How did we not know mom was a witch?" That got a real giggle out of me. 

The Halloween costumes were fun, and, honestly, if I had magic powers, I would probably use them to throw a really cool Halloween party, or something like that. I would like to think that I would also want to fight demons and feed the homeless and stuff, but wouldn't I have more time to do all that if I could use magic to do my laundry and give my hair decent volume?!?! But now our old buddie personal gain has returned! I got so sick of those words on OG Charmed, but they seem to be going light on it with this show. 

Liked the backstory for Harry, and him acknowledging that Mel did a lot of good, while also messing up. It was also nice to get some more insight into Macy and her issues, and I even liked the little subplot of Maggie trying to bond with Macy. I felt like Maggie was trying to reach out and bond with her new sister, and when Macy realized what she was doing, she let her in more. I hope that Macy gets a better love interest though, if everyone needs one. This guy seems kind of judgy and bland. 

The demon looked cool, and the POV shots were very Evil Dead

This really isnt how Greek life works, at all, but at least the blond Cappa girl showed some actual sweetness towards Maggie tonight. I was getting really annoyed at the show doing the "Sorority girls are all shallow bitches" stereotype, so it was nice to see a bit of actual sisterhood from them. Her boyfriend is apparently an asshole though. And he was cute too damn it!

The show is clearly still trying to find itself, but it seems to be improving. 

Yes, that line about mom was funny. 

I am glad you mentioned Evil Dead. My husband doesn't watch Charmed so I was upstairs watching it. I had to shout down to him that they did the POV like Evil Dead and I think the demon looked like one too. 

• Love 2

I thought this was the best out of the three that have aired so far, although that isn't much competition. The repeated "how did we not know Mom was a witch?" thing was unforced and funny. 

I liked Maggie and Macy bonding. The pledge storyline is boring but using magic to make a great party is relatable. 

I'm still frustrated with Mel. I get her being annoyed with Harry but she's a complete novice at witchcraft, arguing with him all the time isn't productive and the sledgehammer/flashing arrows dialogue even the Supergirl writers would cringe at isn't helping. I get why they want to do it but it isn't effective. It would have been more interesting if Maggie was the lesbian sister or the sorority were the ones leading the charge against the professor/demon character. It's a lot of lazy stereotypes and lipservice at the moment. I did like Mel saying she'd never had to be in the closet before. 

15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was more interested in what the definition of a virgin was. Was a lesbian that has never slept with a man still a virgin, they removed that from the table by having the lesbian say she slept with one man. Does masturbation, sex toys, or using other orifices negate your virginal status? I didn't like the guy hitting on Maggie, I am sure he is shady. They should keep shoving cookies down the Harbinger's throat until she explodes.

I think they're going with the "traditional" definition of "hasn't had vaginal penetrative sex with a man", though IRL its a lot more fluid this days. Interesting that they had Mel having slept with a guy, though I guess that was so Macy would have her awkward confession. I'm assuming that will be one of her plotlines going on, though I hope it's not with her current LI, they have no chemistry and even discounting the magic related emergencies, she doesn't seem that in to him. 

Harry's bit of backstory was welcome, the "you're just like her" did feel a bit sudden but I suppose they need it to be a thing when the Elders arrive. 

Harbingers Not!Halloween costume was cool. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Historically, an intact hymen. Probably the main reason women back in the day were discouraged from riding astride and doing anything strenuous that could "break" the hymen -lost commodity, don't you know! It's also someone who hasn't had sexual intercourse which involves penetration,

I'm thinking that Macy should get that dealt with because I suspect it may make her vulnerable. I just wish they'd stop all the virgin stuff, it's virtually meaningless today.

I'll continue watching it unless something better comes along for Sunday night television.

Niko had a funny look on her face when Mel unfroze her so I imagine that she's already suspicious.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

And the ending of the episode.  Mel used a spell that almost killed Macy, yet the demon is still alive?  Now it is chained up in the attic? Do the Elders have to use Spirit to get there?  Shouldn't Vera Manor have a basement to store dangerous things? That is the only peeves I have in this episode.

HAHAHA. I'm totally imagining a bunch of ever-useless Elders standing in line at the Spirit counter bickering about whether they should pay extra for legroom. Or a bag. Or a seat with a belt. (I've flown Spirit before, can you tell?)

• Love 1

Thought it was a fun episode.  The effects for the harbinger were pretty creepy.

Macy and Maggie are my favourites and I enjoyed watching them bond. Hope to see more of that.

Still not feeling their love interests. Macy does have better chemistry with Harry than Galvin but It looks like we are stuck with bland option for the foreseeable.

Mel is starting to grate. She wouldn’t listen to Macy last week about the spirit board and she wouldn’t listen to Harry this week. She only seems to ‘learn’ once the crap hits the fan and it’s going to get really old pretty fast if they keep repeating the same lesson.

Edited by quazimodo
  • Love 3

I think I liked this episode less than last week.  Overall, this show feels bland and superficial.  Though the three sisters are likeable enough, none of them are very interesting or real.  Mel needed to almost kill a sister to realize throwing out random spells when people are standing close by is not a good idea?  Her girlfriend seems like a glorified extra since we rarely see her in her own life.  Maggie recklessly using magic to get into that annoying sorority feels like a waste of time, especially when there was a horrified number of murders in this episode.  They tried to deepen Macy with the conversations about being the smart and serious one, being a virgin, etc., but it felt obligatory and didn't seem naturally incorporated into the episode.  Ditto for the Whitelighter's sad tale about his previous charge.  I just wasn't very engaged throughout the episode so I even had to rewind for a bit.  The whole cookie ruse was useless and that was two-thirds of the episode, plus the sisters never even found out why it didn't work.  I agree that having the Whitelighter play such a prominent role was a big mistake, since it limits the ability of the sisters to figure out things themselves to show their smarts.  

• Love 2

So, no one ever cleaned up the egg that Macy “dropped” at the beginning? That bugged me the entire fucking episode.

OK, I’ve been very willing to give this remake the benefit of the doubt, but it has to work with me a little bit here. I feel like they’ve tried to start into the thick of things without taking the time or effort to set up ANY of it. I liked the one on one scenes between Maggie and Macy, and the final scene between Mel and Harry - the character beats, essentially. But the rest - their normal lives, their witch training, the Demon of the Week - is all feeling very forced and uninteresting. I’m starting to think that I’ll see more magic on this season of Legends of Tomorrow than I will on Charmed, a frikken show about witches. Not good, Show.

And I wouldn’t have expected to say this after last week, but Harry actually came out as my favorite character this week. Which isn’t a good thing in a show about sisterhood and female empowerment.

Yay, personal gain *and* the Elders are back? Two phrases I’d be happy to never have heard again in my life.  *cries*

Macy’s Greek goddess costume was beautiful, though, and I liked Mel’s green witch look too.

Seriously, Mel was traipsing all over the kitchen after that egg fell, so there’s gotta be dried egg tracked all over the damn floor. I don’t think there’s strong enough magic in the world to clean that up. And even if there was, these three sure couldn’t handle it.

• Love 4

It was better overall and I am really liking Maggie and Macy. Harry won me over in this one even before we found out his backstory. Mel is just annoying and they really need to tone down her attitude. Hopefully she will better after she almost got Macy killed with her recklessness. At this point I like Niko more than Mel. 

There is a disconnect between the use of their powers and the acting. Whenever Mel freezing something it takes me a few seconds to realize that she was the one that did it. The actress is just not selling it. Macy is only slightly better. Maggie's power has been useless so far. 

This book of shadows apparently got a siri upgrade. Why do they keep making everything easy for them? I want to see them actually work at learning witchcraft not just talking to a magic book that will flip to the perfect page every time. 

I hate that we are already getting the elders when they haven't even fully developed the sisters or their powers. 

18 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Good god I couldn't make it through this whole episode I tried I really did but the "tracking" bracelet bit popped up and I was out ... so now a whitelighter doesn't have a clue where his charges are and has to have a bracelet to "track" a witch? and to treat her like a 5 yo with the i have to be around when you use magic but doesn't do the same to the sister that is using her magic hella more for personal gain? And it seems like Elders are even more useless then whitelighters in this version....the writing for this show is just all over the place

The bracelet was to let him know when she was using her powers. He doesn't need anything to track her. I can't get upset on her behalf when she keeps freezing things in a public setting necessarily.  If she wants to spill her guts to a frozen Niko she should did in private. There no need for her to freeze the classroom when the student was perfectly willing to give her the information she wanted. Or she could have just looking it up on her own phone. Anyone could have walked in while the room was frozen. 

7 hours ago, Camera One said:

I agree that having the Whitelighter play such a prominent role was a big mistake, since it limits the ability of the sisters to figure out things themselves to show their smarts.  

I am willing to give them a bit more time. It does seem like they haven't found what they want to be yet.  Agreed on pulling back Harry. The easiest thing to do would to be have him go missing. They would have some knowledge from his training but be at a disadvantage.  This could be the year end cliff hanger.  I wonder if they had to put the character more upfront to get the actor to sign on. I particularly didn't love the idea that Harry took care of Mel's use of her powers with Macy. If Harry will be there to clean up every time I can see Mel being reckless.  Harry has to not be just a call away to have things mean something. 

9 hours ago, Camera One said:

I think I liked this episode less than last week.  Overall, this show feels bland and superficial.  Though the three sisters are likeable enough, none of them are very interesting or real.  Mel needed to almost kill a sister to realize throwing out random spells when people are standing close by is not a good idea?  Her girlfriend seems like a glorified extra since we rarely see her in her own life.  Maggie recklessly using magic to get into that annoying sorority feels like a waste of time, especially when there was a horrified number of murders in this episode.  They tried to deepen Macy with the conversations about being the smart and serious one, being a virgin, etc., but it felt obligatory and didn't seem naturally incorporated into the episode.  Ditto for the Whitelighter's sad tale about his previous charge.  I just wasn't very engaged throughout the episode so I even had to rewind for a bit.  The whole cookie ruse was useless and that was two-thirds of the episode, plus the sisters never even found out why it didn't work.  I agree that having the Whitelighter play such a prominent role was a big mistake, since it limits the ability of the sisters to figure out things themselves to show their smarts.  

Yep. The sisters have to take into account that most of Macy's ideas won't work as planned. That demon probably smelled the sugar cookie a mile away.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Dani said:

The bracelet was to let him know when she was using her powers. He doesn't need anything to track her. I can't get upset on her behalf when she keeps freezing things in a public setting necessarily.  If she wants to spill her guts to a frozen Niko she should did in private. There no need for her to freeze the classroom when the student was perfectly willing to give her the information she wanted. Or she could have just looking it up on her own phone. Anyone could have walked in while the room was frozen. 

Just everything is so contrived in this new show... so its supposed to be about 3 sisters but Harry is the one doing most of the work one and two being her white lighter wouldn't he know when she uses her powers anyway? i mean why would he need a bracelet to know that? I mean its not shown that he is so busy with other things that he couldn't have been watching her without it... its just a dumb plot device that they stumbled over esp when the other sister was shown to be abusing her powers much more and he didn't bat a eyelash about it...why just focus on one sister and not the one that was really messing up? and good god the Demon texting and checking text was beyond awful and looked stupid so a being thats thousands of years old would act like a 18yo in that moment of feeding on someone? again a bad plot device to get her to the party but it could have been done so much better...this should have been called a whitelighter and 3 witches not charmed if they are not gonna let the girls seem like they can do things without the help of him so much. oh and keeping a demon in the house is a good idea why? the cop is always over is no one not even the white lighter just a little worried that she almost caught a sister using magic in the kitchen what the hell is she not going to go in the attic if she hears something? again whoever these writers are really just assume everyone is brain dead who watches this show apparently I gave it a chance but its not getting better to me

Edited by Keywestclubkid

I want to enjoy this show more but there's so much baggage. (And I don't mean baggage from the original, I enjoyed the SD years of the original but let's be honest, it was never Citizen Cane or even Buffy. I was always distracted by how often AM's character ran around braless). I hope the show finds its feet, I am looking for some light, fun entertainment in this hellscape of a real world.

For me the worst aspect is the portrayal of Mel. It's not that the actress is bad, but another actress could have pulled off the "white man" line a lot better, and actually made it funny. Like the actress playing Maggie, or even Macy, for instance. Mel gets all these one-liners but that's not this actress' strong suit.

I'm confused, WHY is Macy so much older? Also, I can see that objectively Galvin is cute, but....zero charisma and I don't think he has the acting chops to navigate a "first time" storyline. Not that I want to see one.

ETA: Oh and one other thing. I guess I'm supposed to root for Mel and Niko even though Niko dumped her fiance for Mel? Congratulations, Mel, you won the cheater! WTH?!  /get off my lawn

Edited by rubyred
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, rubyred said:

I want to enjoy this show more but there's so much baggage. (And I don't mean baggage from the original, I enjoyed the SD years of the original but let's be honest, it was never Citizen Cane or even Buffy. I was always distracted by how often AM's character ran around braless). I hope the show finds its feet, I am looking for some light, fun entertainment in this hellscape of a real world.

For me the worst aspect is the portrayal of Mel. It's not that the actress is bad, but another actress could have pulled off the "white man" line a lot better, and actually made it funny. Like the actress playing Maggie, or even Macy, for instance. Mel gets all these one-liners but that's not this actress' strong suit.

I'm confused, WHY is Macy so much older? Also, I can see that objectively Galvin is cute, but....zero charisma and I don't think he has the acting chops to navigate a "first time" storyline. Not that I want to see one.

ETA: Oh and one other thing. I guess I'm supposed to root for Mel and Niko even though Niko dumped her fiance for Mel? Congratulations, Mel, you won the cheater! WTH?!  /get off my lawn

my gripe is the older sisters acting when Macy (is that the youngest?) put her arm around her and she did this horrible acting job of shuddering away none of these actress are gonna win Oscars but come on couldn't they get people that seemed like they are comfortable around each other and not made it look like forced acting? or seem to have some kinda of chemistry? and yes how much older is the oldest supposed to be? and if each sister is from a different father where are their dads? 

Edited by Keywestclubkid

So they brought back the useless Elders and "personal gain".  It was always so nebulous before, but let's face it, vanquishing demons has a personal gain aspect (meaning one doesn't get killed by said demon).  I wish they would stick to the Wiccan Rede: Do what you will but harm none.  For a show about witches, it seems to be awfully Judeo-Christian with demons, Hell and the Source of All Evil.

The sorority sister storyline can finish up anytime.  Also glamours are illusions, while it could work for a Halloween costume, there is no way Maggie should be able to conjure up alcoholic drinks with one.  it really feels like the Magic is an afterthought.

Also you're keeping the evil demon locked up in the attic and now the sisters have to take turns guarding it?  Well Mel and Maggie, since Macy can play the virgin card.  "I can't guard it, it will eat me!"

14 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

So, no one ever cleaned up the egg that Macy “dropped” at the beginning? That bugged me the entire fucking episode.

Seriously, Mel was traipsing all over the kitchen after that egg fell, so there’s gotta be dried egg tracked all over the damn floor. I don’t think there’s strong enough magic in the world to clean that up. And even if there was, these three sure couldn’t handle it.

Yeah, that got me too.  If Macy wanted real practice with her powers she should have TK'ed the egg off the floor once Nico was gone.

I want to like you show, but you'e not making it easy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

my gripe is the older sisters acting when Macy (is that the youngest?) put her arm around her and she did this horrible acting job of shuddering away none of these actress are gonna win Oscars but come on couldn't they get people that seemed like they are comfortable around each other and not made it look like forced acting? or seem to have some kinda of chemistry? and yes how much older is the oldest supposed to be? and if each sister is from a different father where are their dads? 

I think it's because Maggie can read their minds when she touches them, so Macy wanted some privacy.

2 hours ago, rubyred said:

It seems like Mel is getting a new love interest soon so...there's that.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:13 AM, Primal Slayer said:

Maggies spent 3 episodes having some kind of boy troubles, Mel has her Girlfriend who already had a brief tiff and now Macy with whatever happens with her guy. We need some time to really get to know the sisters and get this witch thing down.

The major difference is that Prue's relationship with Andy and/or Piper's relationship with Leo were *not* the main storylines.  The sisters learning about being witches and become closer to each other was.  This changed in S2 when Leo and Piper and Dan were the main storyline, S3-First Half of S5 when Cole and Phoebe were and Second Half of S6-S8 when it was all about Piper and her family and, oh, yes, didn't she have a sister and a half-sister and didn't they have powers too?  At least we got to know the sisters before the relationships took over.  But of course that was *very* typical The WB and from what I've heard (yet to watch a second of any show on The CW except when Shannen appeared on 90210) very typical The CW.

Now I haven't watched a second of the reboot (I watch the classic episode celebrating its 20th anniversary - Something Wicca This Way Come isn't the only episode doing that this year - and am "watching" the reboot through your comments.  So you'll have to let me know.  How much of the episodes deal with the sisters who just happen to be witches and how much has to do with the sisters' relationships with their significant other? Rewatching Classic Charmed (I'm up to "Dead Man Dating", one of my all-time favorite episodes - when I'm just STARTING to like Prue...), although Andy and Prue are part of it, Phoebe using her powers to become a physic so she can buy Prue a birthday present and Piper saving an innocent ghost from being taken by a demon dominate the episode.  So which characters dominated *this* episode?  

Edited by Esmeralda
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Lugal said:

The sorority sister storyline can finish up anytime.  Also glamours are illusions, while it could work for a Halloween costume, there is no way Maggie should be able to conjure up alcoholic drinks with one.  it really feels like the Magic is an afterthought.

Seriously on top of that how the bloody hell can you have a crap ton of people at a party where nearly everything from decorations to the freaking food/drinks have been conjured and it all just suddenly disappears in the blink of an eye and that not be exposure of magic to those people?  Show just hand-waves that happening away as if no big deal and no one noticed/cared.  Ugh.

I think part of my problem with Maggie's story is that we are repeatedly seeing her put aside her sisters/Charmed duties in favor of her sorority, the show starts off by saying she's missed a bunch of sorority stuff because of her sisters/Charmed stuff but because we haven't seen that and instead she keeps bailing on her sisters for that crap we instead lose the chance to potentially empathize with her in this situation.  Had we actually had several episodes of her doing the right thing getting engrossed in plots revolving around helping/saving innocents and suffering the personal life consequences over that stuff maybe her actions would come off as more understandably desperate/sympathetic instead of just selfish/irresponsible.

• Love 2

That's definitely the problem.  They haven't given the audience a reason why we should care about the sorority.  They've hardly sold us on the fact that Maggie's a student.  Does she go to classes or study?  Becoming a witch feels like a mild inconvenience to all three of the sisters, when it should throw a real wrench into the work lives of the older two.  It's like their love lives are more affected.  I don't feel like I know any of them because their lives outside of being witches have not been fleshed out.

• Love 1

I think they're doing a fairly good job balancing their personal lives with the witch duties and demon fighting. But it still seems like these sisters are far less self sufficient, less capable, and less mature than the sisters on the original show. And when you look less capable and less mature than Phoebe Freaking Halliwell, ladies and gentlemen, well . . . you've got problems. The whole concept of the show seems to have regressed somehow, like three bumbling idiots just happened to stumble into this fate to save the world and are in no way built to handle such a thing so it comes off kind of comical. 

• Love 4

I really want to like this show but it is hard. The acting is really bad, making the original show seem like Breaking Bad in comparison. Somehow the effects have not improved that much in 20 years apparently and the writing is just dismal.  It doesn't seem to know what tone it wants so it keeps shifting way to fast and is inconsistent to say the least.

Still in for now because I love supernatural stuff and to be shallow the girls are attractive but I hope they settle into their roles a little better and the writing is a little more consistent whatever tone they decide on.

I don't exactly blame Maggie for wanting to pledge the sorority. I mean, she never asked to be a witch in the first place, so putting aside everything in her life for it would, for me, feel unrealistic. Plus it's an escape from the sisterhood issues.

I liked how the Harbinger was all eye-rolley and sarcastic while pretending to be Angela.

(edited)
On 11/1/2018 at 6:45 PM, Unclejosh said:

I really want to like this show but it is hard. The acting is really bad, making the original show seem like Breaking Bad in comparison. Somehow the effects have not improved that much in 20 years apparently and the writing is just dismal.  It doesn't seem to know what tone it wants so it keeps shifting way to fast and is inconsistent to say the least.

Adam4adam TutuApp AppValley

Still in for now because I love supernatural stuff and to be shallow the girls are attractive but I hope they settle into their roles a little better and the writing is a little more consistent whatever tone they decide on.

Edited by bandassa