Type keyword(s) to search

Right in the Lumberyard: The Golf Thread

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

I admit to watching Golf from time to time. As is the case with most individual sports, I find it more interesting when there is the Tiger Woods type guy that everybody else is trying to beat, but I'll still get into certain events as long as there a few really good players in the mix.  For example, I enjoyed the Masters this year because Bubba Watson is fun to watch when he's on his game, and I'll go out of my way to watch the Ryder Cup (and the Solheim Cup as well.)

And on the topic of the Tiger Woods type guy, check out this awesome video of Jack Nicklaus shutting up Johnny Milller.

I hate, hate, hate that the 11 year old child competed in the Women's US Open. All the media says everyone's "fallen in love" with the girl"...NOT! I find the inclusion of such a young girl exploitive by the parents, coaches and the media. The LPGA should be ashamed of themselves by trying to boost their numbers by pushing this young girl to compete.

Didn't we see the mess it caused with young girls in tennis years ago? Why can't we let children be children instead of using them for media and money?

Amen Stafford and Stacy Lewis got her head handed to her for being honest. I'm so happy that Tiger Woods is coming back. I was so sick of the media's love affair with Phil Mickelson last week.

It was really interesting listening to Tiger after yesterday's round. He always thinks he's close to being on top of his game. The putter was solid, he just needs to tweak the driver, or the driver was fine, he just needs to tweak the putter. 

Yesterday was the first time I heard him reaching for answers.

Aren't cameras allowed in the scoring trailer? It was kind of strange that the didn't have a reaction shot when Johnson missed the put.

Lupica's analogy of putting being like watching a kid roll a marble around in a bathtub was spot on.

Aren't cameras allowed in the scoring trailer?

Way late, but no - I'm pretty sure they're not (and I'm kind of thankful for that). Kudos to Spieth for having the good sense to not celebrate his US Open victory too hard, at least publicly and in the immediate aftermath. He seems like a smart player with a good head on his shoulders. 

I'm interested to see what happens at THE Open next week, especially with Spieth on the hunt. It's hard to imagine McIlroy will play, which stinks. 

It was so fun to watch two players who I really LIKE - as golfers and as humans (the little I know of them, at least) - down the stretch yesterday. Even though I'm a bit of a Spieth fangirl (I love how he processes everything out loud and STILL appears to have a phenomenally good head on his shoulders), I was so freaking excited to see Jason Day win. He's lovely. He's earned it. -20!

• Love 2

I think people are making too much of the European women's refusal to concede the putt. Was it a jerk move? Yes. However, I can remember the Americans doing something similar years ago. Actually, the American duo conceded the European's putt and the American captain overruled them, forcing the putt. While some were upset, the Americans wrapped themselves in the rules. Now the shoe is on the other foot and they want to talk about sportsmanship? (To be fair, I am older so this may have happened before any of these women were even paying attention to the game.)

Well, Augusta National may be run by a bunch of uptight, classist, racist, sexist assholes, but they have a hell of a golf course. Basically any score from 2-7 is in play on the back nine. This is what the USGA doesn't get, birdies are not the enemy. Congrats to Danny Willett, I'm pretty sure nobody had him in their Masters' pool.

• Love 1

I'll be interested to see how the press handled Jordan Speith's meltdown, If that happened to Tiger' Woods the internet would meld down and he would never get a break.

He's not as famous as Tiger but in the coverage I've seen so far from ESPN, Golf Channel and British sources, it's more about how Spieth blew it, and oh yeah, Danny Willett won, his wife's due date was today, but OMG, can you believe that Spieth choke job? It's up there with Greg Norman and Van De Velde! Twitter brought lots of Tin Cup jokes and the Crying Jordan meme.

Edited by Dejana

Well, it took about a decade, but Dustin Johnson is finally off that greatest to not win a major list. The man was facing a penalty, but chose to continue to play like a professional.  Probably helped but I doubt it meant much

2016 has no mercy.

I obviously did not know Arnold Palmer, and he was reportedly getting quite sick, but it still sucks so bad to lose a legend.  Especially coming on the heels of 2016 snatching a young talent in Jose Fernandez yesterday.

• Love 3

Wow, never thought I'd say this, but what an entertaining day of golf today! The level of play was impressive and I loved watching Reed and McIlroy feed off each other, especially on the 8th hole. Some of the fans crossed the line by some extremely rude comments to Rory. Root for your team with passion and enthusiasm but there's no need to taunt about past girlfriends or other rude comments. I thought Rory was gracious in his loss. That Mickelson-Garcia match was amazing too. And speaking of gracious, Bubba saying this was better than his two Masters wins and how happy he was to be a part of it was great. He got so emotional. I thought it looked like Tiger had lost a lot of weight. His face looked really thin or maybe it was the camera angle.

Edited by Spunkygal

That half hour of watching Speith wander amongst the sponsor trucks and his caddy climb the hill is definitely on of the most boring yet eventually consequential moments I have seen in sports.

5 hours ago, tessaray said:

Incredible comeback for TW.  I'm not the family golf fan but it was a great moment.

I agree. I watched the final round and I was invested. It was also pretty neat being able to say hey kids, watch this when I used to watch it with my Granddad. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Any time you can watch Tom Brady lose at something is great.  Tiger and Peyton were just a bonus.

The Match was fun and it would be great to see other athletes pair up.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
(edited)

So Jim Nantz is announcing for the first time in months. After his intro the first thing he has to do is apologize for an f bomb dropped by a miked up John Rahm Brooks Koepka. 😀

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 7

Actually, it was Brooks Koepka who did that:

Live golf provides live mics.  And live mics provide lively words. Golf is back, f-bombs and all. 

As Golf Channel’s coverage of the PGA Tour’s first tournament in three months began Thursday, cameras and announcers went to Jon Rahm’s second shot on the par-3 eighth hole at the Charles Schwab Challenge. Rahm’s chip shot dropped. Brooks Koepka dropped something more.

“Pretty f—ing good there,” Koepka said to his playing partner. 

Rahm smiled. Golf Channel likely didn’t. The broadcast went silent for a few seconds. nnouncer Jim Nantz ended the awkwardness. 

“Well, we were hoping for better audio with no fans surrounding the course,” Nantz said. “We apologize if anybody was offended by what they may have heard there.”

• Useful 1

I didn't see it, but a friend of mine told me that after Rory McIlroy (tied for 2nd going into the day) had a disastrous front nine. One of the announcers said, "He's going to need a second pencil for the back nine."  (Which, I'm so stealing that for myself going forward.)

And then the other announcer replied, "or an eraser for the front nine."

• LOL 1
On 7/17/2020 at 5:51 PM, xaxat said:

I thoroughly enjoyed DeChambeau's meltdown today. Nicklaus saying "He's going to Tin Cup this." was icing on the cake.

While that meltdown was fantastic, I have to admit that I was rather pleased to see him win today.  Looked like the results of his transformation meant nothing after not succeeding at the PGA Championship, but the US Open was perfect for him to finally win for the first time (in a major).  Not sure how he'll do in Augusta or going forward, but man, it was a great display from Bryson, IMO

It'll be interesting to see how he handles success. He has every right to crow to all the doubters, but does he want to be Patrick Reed?

Interesting comment from Azinger near the end: "This isn't just validation, this is validation on steroids." Shade or poor choice of words? I think just poor choice of words, cause it sure sounded like he was rooting for the kid.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Interesting comment from Azinger near the end: "This isn't just validation, this is validation on steroids." Shade or poor choice of words? I think just poor choice of words, cause it sure sounded like he was rooting for the kid.

I was also briefly stunned by the use of the word steroids. But like you said, once I processed it, I think it was just a poor choice of words. 

I was getting a little bummed while I was watching this tournament. Odds were very high that I would have attended this event, probably one practice round and either Friday or Saturday. Winged Foot is the only course around here that holds tournaments I haven't seen yet.  It looks like a super interesting course.  

I was joking with my friend that had we been able to go to a practice round, we could have asked the players if they want us to help them prepare for the weekend by yelling Baba Booey when they hit the ball. 

• Love 1

I think think Bryson DeChambeau has a very compelling approach to golf, but I  think it his hilarious that, in the same group, he had had a worse round and final score than 63 year old Bernhard Langer in the Masters this year.

Maybe he’s realizing that he can’t overpower every golf course. He came in super cocky and the Masters chewed him up. I’m sure he will win a green jacket one day. Congrats to DJ after years of final round choke jobs in the majors. He has been playing incredible golf the last few months.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:36 AM, twoods said:

Maybe he’s realizing that he can’t overpower every golf course. He came in super cocky and the Masters chewed him up. I’m sure he will win a green jacket one day. Congrats to DJ after years of final round choke jobs in the majors. He has been playing incredible golf the last few months.

I like both stories coming out of the Masters. I love that DJ won. He's a great player playing great. It just feels right to know he got himself a green jacket.

I also like that it didn't work out for DeChambeau. His approach certainly could work. But he's going to need to be a lot more accurate to pull it off than he was in this tournament. What he did at Winged Foot was really cool. But it sure looked like he was trying to fit the square peg into a round hole at Augusta.  

• Love 1