Type keyword(s) to search

Right in the Lumberyard: The Golf Thread

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

22 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Mickelson and the Saudi Golf League really set themselves on fire. Phil is actually losing sponsors.

I had wondered where all the big names were during the Pebble Beach Pro-Am a few weeks ago. It’s a pretty high profile tournament. Now I know they were playing with Phil in Saudi Arabia.

I'm happy he's back as well.  I don't know (or think) he'll make it to the weekend, and that's due to what he went through over the past year.

I'll be honest, I don't know what I'll say if he wins this year (or even next year), but if he makes it to Saturday, that is a big deal.  For the most part; it's been basically over a quarter century since he missed the weekend.  Other years included 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2021.  Can't make Saturday without playing.

Regardless of what happens, it should be a great Masters.  Weather-wise, it may not be great early, but by the weekend, it'll be nice.

No one will miss Lefty.  The fact is (love him or hate him) you can compare what Nadal around the Australian to this event.  The Masters was around before Lefty and everyone else, and in the aftermath of when Lefty and everyone else departs, there will be action and play at Augusta

• Love 2

Goodness, I just read that the doctors treating TW after the accident actually thought amputation might have been a necessity.  I knew it was a really bad injury, but that’s so scary.

He’s been the only reason I’ve ever watched golf.  He just has that electrifying thing about him that no other golfers seem to have.

• Love 2

Huh.  Over the past year I was hearing that TW was lucky to be alive, let alone lose his leg.

It is a whole new level when he is playing, ITA.  However, I've been able to watch a ton of golf without him.  Obviously the Masters is getting people tuning in no matter what.  To a lesser degree, the Majors.  Then TPC and some other events.  It's not difficult trying to tune in to see someone crush it, especially if and when you know that person isn't going to be the "next G.O.A.T."

For the Tigers fans: The good news is that he extended his Masters Weekend streak to 22-0 as a pro.  But that's it.  The bad news is related to pretty good news for Scheffler fans

Scheffler still leads after three rounds at Augusta (-9).  Despite shooting under par to claim the 54-hole lead, Scottie's margin has decreased from a five-shot lead to a 3-shot lead.  That came courtesy of Cameron Smith's fairly decent day.

Scheffler is the World's Number One with some awesome playing as of late, but TPC winner Cameron Smith, also in the Top Ten, has been doing well.  Probably the only person I'd like to see win if it doesn't work out for Scottie.  Other than IM, Smith may be the only person that can catch him, and I doubt it'll be too difficult

• Love 1

Earlier in the year, Scottie Scheffler, who wasn't even 10 months removed from being born after Tiger Woods first win, broke the latter's record for fastest to World No. 1 following one's first PGA win.  Now he joins his LA championship buddies Kershaw & Stafford as a true winner in a big, prestigious sporting event!

ETA: The 2022 Masters Champion had the cushion to end on a random double.  I don't need to be there to know that the nerves & emotion can get to you anytime & anywhere at Augusta

Edited by Carey
  • Love 3

Despite losing most of his sponsors (due to his comments earlier in the year), looks like Phil Mickelson is planning on participating in the next two majors.  That includes this month's PGA Championship and next month's US Open.

In planning on the participation, he simply registered, leaving the door open.  No indication if he actually will participate.  Phil is the reigning champion in the PGA.  His participation would mean Lefty being the oldest defending champion ever, while his lack of participation would lead to the a rare (if not unprecedented) miss of a golfer missing out on an event that said golfer won the previous year for reasons not related to (age or) injury

After three rounds in the PGA Championship, you basically have a Top 5 leaderboard whose accomplishments total 1 PGA win.  To be more specific, Mito Pereira leads by 3 strokes (-9).  Tied for second (-6) are Zalatoris & Fitzpatrick, who'll be paired with Pereira.  Ancer is the only person that has tasted victory.

After that features well knows like McIlroy, Watson, & JT, who all struggled on Day 3.

I guess it wasn't a shocker that we'd have a new champion with Lefty's withdrawal.  In fact, no repeats in terms of major winners with Scottie's early exit.  We'll see if people like Morikawa and Koepka can win the next two majors in the order those are played in, but it looks like yet another wait for a career grand slam starting in 2023 and beyond.  FWIW, I guess it would be a shocker if Phil played next month at the US Open.  Of course, Thomas might find a way to crush it and, along with Collin and Brooks, add to people one major event win away for the career grand slam.

Well, if you love seeing people brought to their knees, you received that heads up early; cannot believe the drastic change in the weather!

Meanwhile, Tiger Woods?  Sigh.  Still amazing that he made the cut here.  The Masters was one thing (he knows the course).  I was actually surprised to see him participate; IMO, I will not be surprised if he doesn't show up at St. Andrews.

FYI:  1:00 start time for the final round (just like the 3rd round) on CBS

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Carey said:

Meanwhile, Tiger Woods?  Sigh.  Still amazing that he made the cut here.  The Masters was one thing (he knows the course).  I was actually surprised to see him participate; IMO, I will not be surprised if he doesn't show up at St. Andrews.

Thinking about his performance here and at the Master's, it might be helpful to him if whoever puts together the pairings and start times would put him in an afternoon start on Thursday instead of the morning. I'm guessing they want him on the course on Friday afternoon to drive viewership, on the course and on TV, but it gives him no time to recover for a Saturday morning start (since he is unlikely to be among the leaders for a Saturday afternoon tee time at this point).

• Useful 3

I don’t know how he does it, with the amount of surgeries and therapy it took for him to get to this point and have to play in the cold. I’m sure he was in so much pain, and you could see it in the third round. I’m sure the fans are disappointed but glad he withdrew for his health. I also doubt he’s playing the last two majors with them being a month apart. 

• Love 2
(edited)

That is a fair point Rickster.  For what it's worth, I can't fault TPTB for wanting him on Friday afternoon with a probable chance that he would not be part of the weekend.

I can't blame Woods for his Sunday absence.  Factoring in what you posted, plus the weather and a possible tweak health wise, what's the point?  The good news is that Tiger may have more data to better access where he stands & how long he ought to wait between events.  I think if he skipped the Masters or if there's an event where he misses the cut, he'd have had more time to heal.  36 holes vs 72 holes is sorta different.

Edited by Carey
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, twoods said:

I don’t know how he does it, with the amount of surgeries and therapy it took for him to get to this point and have to play in the cold. I’m sure he was in so much pain, and you could see it in the third round. I’m sure the fans are disappointed but glad he withdrew for his health. I also doubt he’s playing the last two majors with them being a month apart. 

Tiger has committed to The Open.  That's two months away.  Not to sound harsh, but it would not be heroic for him to show up for the US Open.  Of course, we'll see how he's feeling when July gets here.

IMO, I do see the need for him participating in the US Open, or even the PGA Championship going forward.  FWIW, the latter has lost its luster; this year's broadcast feels like a glorified PGA event, down to the level of the Memorial & the Pebble Beach Pro AM (no disrespect to those stops at all BTW).  The US Open is the best event if you want to see everybody struggle to the upmost highest.

Maybe in the years to come, Woods might play in a decent event between the Masters & the Open.  No rust, and not too many events back-to-back

• Useful 1

Yeah that sucked for Pereira; while the margin wasn't that comfortable, it usually holds at the 72nd.  At the worst, you lose in the playoff.

Instead, a ton of people wasted time talking about a Top 4 full of winless professionals.  Nonetheless, JT played some awesome golf throughout especially when you cross off Saturday

• Love 2

Ok so if they are going to let all these spectators stand so close to the course when these non-professional golfers are shanking balls all over the place, they deserve to get hit.

Also how the hell is Brady more fucking fit than the two guys who are 20 years younger than he is?

41 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ok so if they are going to let all these spectators stand so close to the course when these non-professional golfers are shanking balls all over the place, they deserve to get hit.

Lol. As the guys are on the first tee…

JJ Watt: Human lives would be in danger if I were on that tee.

Barkley: [With wisdom] Oh JJ. Once you hit the first person, they’re all the same after that.

• LOL 4

Vintage, classic, dialogue with Sir Charles there.

I didn't watch on Wednesday, but it's not a shocker that TB12 is more fit than people like Patrick & Josh.  It is surprising because both are 26, in and/or around their primes, and are professional athletes.  Whereas Tom will be "eligible" for Medicare 20 years from this autumn period.  To be fair, Brady takes care of himself in such ways that no one is willing to; however, some of those steps & methods are unattainable to most people on Planet Earth (to be fair to whoever wants to come close to, match, and exceed TB12's physique).

Looks like if anyone other than Billy Horschel wins the Memorial, it's not going to be due to the 54-hole leader MIA from the final round.  Though he had to crush it on Saturday in order to have a dominant 5-hole lead.  It's not the six hole lead many have had (and prevailed) in the past.  It could be the difference, but other than Vegas, Berger, and definitely Cameron Smith, I don't see anyone else shaking Jack's hand today

This new Saudi backed league is crazy. What a waste of money but I guess that’s the point since they have such deep pockets, and there DJ goes running after the money when he already has a ton and turns his back on the people that propelled him to become a star. I can understand the no names who haven’t made much on the PGA tour so they will be getting some guaranteed money, but the ones who have sponsors and millions of dollars?

• Love 1

I think the deal is, it is HUNDREDS of millions of dollars for a guy like Dustin Johnson. I didn't see the amount, if it were published, but I did see that Tiger turned down something in the "high nine figures" to join. 

That's a lot.

DJ can still play in the majors. The worst thing (as far as I can tell) for him is that he won't be eligible for the Ryder Cup. 

One quick thing before I get back to the current discussion on hand: That post 72-hole scene with Memorial Champ Horschel and his family was so sweet!

No surprise that money tops a lot of things if not everything.  There still is an ounce of surprise with DJ, but IMO, I think the opposite is the case when it comes to an established star and some up and coming golf player.

When you're a newbie and having earned a lot of money, sure it would make sense to jump to the Saudi-backed league.  However, I'd think a new star would want to win (a lot) on the PGA Tour (and for awhile) before jumping ship.  You can make a lot there (and maybe invest well too).

With Dustin Johnson, I'm not sure he has much to prove anymore.  Especially if he's still able to play the Open & PGA Championship (the two majors he hasn't won).  Plus there are a lot of people rolling that are younger than him to where it's probably not easy to win as much anymore.

It's easier to say it on 06.07.22, but I probably would not have made the move.  Sure you'd be turning down a ton of money, but these days (in other sports especially), people are doing more to "build their brand" or obtain more that it might not be necessary to join another league for their nine-figures.  They're pursuing other things in life (outside of sports), and IMO, there's nothing wrong with that

(edited)

I don't know a whole lot about the tour operates, and I knew some like the Masters were operated by their own management, not the PGA.   I didn't realize the PGA couldn't restrict who can go to a major either.    

I can see why Mickelson went with LIV, $200 million signing bonus.   I will be interesting to see what happens with players like Rickie Fowler, who is a star, but might want to get set for life with the signing bonus, and the payouts, but can still play the majors.  The rumors say Dustin Johnson's signing bonus was $150 million.  The payouts are huge too for each tournament.

.   I wonder if there is a time limit the player has to stay with the LIV tour to keep the bonus, and how many tournaments they have to play in?   And I wonder if the players can come back to the PGA?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder if there is a time limit the player has to stay with the LIV tour to keep the bonus, and how many tournaments they have to play in?   And I wonder if the players can come back to the PGA?  

If they are allowed back I hope they have to have serious repercussions and that fans don't forget their cruel, pointless greed.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 6/9/2022 at 9:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't know a whole lot about the tour operates, and I knew some like the Masters were operated by their own management, not the PGA.   I didn't realize the PGA couldn't restrict who can go to a major either.    

I can see why Mickelson went with LIV, $200 million signing bonus.   I will be interesting to see what happens with players like Rickie Fowler, who is a star, but might want to get set for life with the signing bonus, and the payouts, but can still play the majors.  The rumors say Dustin Johnson's signing bonus was $150 million.  The payouts are huge too for each tournament.

.   I wonder if there is a time limit the player has to stay with the LIV tour to keep the bonus, and how many tournaments they have to play in?   And I wonder if the players can come back to the PGA?  

I was wondering about their commitment to the new tour too. I’d guess the PGA would let them back if they quit, but it’s got to be a several year commitment to get the money I’d think.

I’m also wondering about the sustainability of this tour if they don’t get any media coverage. I read an article that said ESPN, CBS, NBC and Amazon are locked into long term deals with the PGA. I guess there might be Fox and maybe they set up a Streaming channel? I know the Saudis have deep pockets, but what’s the long term plan?

Interesting that two of the US tournament sites are Trump properties, given his son-in-law’s ties with the Saudis.

• Useful 1

For right now, if you want to watch the tournaments, you go to the website for the tour, or several streaming services.  

The Trump courses on the tour make sense, because the PGA dumped the contracts with his courses.     I'm sure a lot of other big courses either already are contracted with the PGA or are hoping to be, and if they have an LIV event, then they'll never get a tournament connected to PGA. 

How do you compete with an upstart league where money is no object? This isn't like the ABA or original USFL etc. The Saudis are willing to spend billions of dollars with little, if any, eye on ROI.

Rory McIlroy is tied with Tony Finau for the lead of the RBC. I am not necessarily a fan of Rory, ut I am rooting for him because he has consistently put the participants of the LIV on full blast.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I read an interesting article somewhere that said among the big winners of the new league will be the majors in which the LIV players will allowed to compete, effectively like a World Series of golf (before there was interleague play).

For those that care, Charl Schwartzel won the first event.  Just a 54-hole event.  Whatever.

While TPTB for ATP and the PGA are not the same, I'd like to see people make decisions that are fair game, whether people agree with it or not.  IOW, I wouldn't see the harm of banning people from the majors for one's "deflection", which would be fair game, more than someone saying no thank you to talking to the media.

CBS did address the LIV FWIW on Saturday.  Rory (and probably moreso JT) were a little more classy on television than they would've been as it relates to the people that left.  Jim and Nick, IMO, were anything but classy, which was perfect since they actually gave their opinions in a respective manner.  You could tell that they were bashing the new league; at least I could sense it from the broadcasters

• Love 1
On 6/11/2022 at 9:43 PM, xaxat said:

ut I am rooting for him because he has consistently put the participants of the LIV on full blast.

He did not disappoint.

“I had [the] extra motivation of what’s going on across the pond. The guy (Norman) that’s spearheading that tour has 20 wins on the PGA Tour. I was tied with him and I wanted to get one ahead of him. And I did. So, that was really cool for me, just a little sense of pride on that one.”

• Love 5
On 6/12/2022 at 12:16 PM, Carey said:

For those that care, Charl Schwartzel won the first event.  Just a 54-hole event.  Whatever.

Also, because of the no cut rule, some guy who finished 24 over par won $120,000.

I am no fan of the new league, but I thought CBS should have tried a bit harder over the weekend to present an objective view of the situation.

Meh; I think CBS did okay.  It'll be interesting how NBC handles it this weekend.  As mentioned JT basically said it's their call.  Rory may have been a little kind for a second while being tough everywhere else.  Nantz was pretty much, "I wouldn't have done it after everything the PGA has done," and Faldo was pretty much "Fuck 'em."

Nick IMO was tougher but I don't think he was critical all the time a la McIlroy as it relates to this stuff.  He can be bold without hesitation so it's not surprising, but good for Rory for his lack of holding back in terms of his stance.

Jim's interview with Jay Monahan was alright.  Asked the tough questions, and while Jay may or may not have given the best answered, he seemed prepared enough.

Speaking of prepared, that might be the opposite case as it relates to Lefty.  FWIW, my app feels the need to list his placement regardless of what it is.  I get that for Woods, but I do wonder if they'd do that for him or have done it outside of the US Open

I’m wondering if the 200 million Michelson is getting has something to do with his gambling addiction and how much debt he was likely in. Makes sense for him to not care where the money is coming from and cash his checks in. Still makes me sick to the stomach but whatever.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

It's pathetic really.  However, if it covers his debt, so be it.  Honestly, I wouldn't bet on his move to LIV solving it, or permanently ending his gambling habit

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Yes, rumors say Mickelson had a $200 million signing bonus, and Dustin J. had $150 million.   

Golf web site says USGA hasn't decided if they'll continue to let LIV players continue playing in their tournaments.     If the LIV doesn't last, I wonder if the rogue players gets to come back to the PGA?   

Looks like the final round is underway (must be on Golf Channel with NBC taking over around Noon Eastern).  Zalatoris & Fitzpatrick can thank the World Number One and the US Open defending champion for surging and faltering, as they’re apart of the final tee time.  John Rahm’s fall was pretty painful, and Scottie had a great Eagle shot but later fell victim to the “fun” of a US Open course crushing people.  Matt and Will are 4 under, while Rahm & Scheffler are 1 & 2 back.  Bradley is at 2 under so he’s tied with the Masters Champion in fourth place.

It’s really still anyone’s game, but the scary thing is if whatever happened to John at the final hole repeats itself, while painful, that’ll be exciting.  It means everything will come down to the finish

(edited)
56 minutes ago, Carey said:

Looks like the final round is underway (must be on Golf Channel with NBC taking over around Noon Eastern).  Zalatoris & Fitzpatrick can thank the World Number One and the US Open defending champion for surging and faltering, as they’re apart of the final tee time.  John Rahm’s fall was pretty painful, and Scottie had a great Eagle shot but later fell victim to the “fun” of a US Open course crushing people.  Matt and Will are 4 under, while Rahm & Scheffler are 1 & 2 back.  Bradley is at 2 under so he’s tied with the Masters Champion in fourth place.

It’s really still anyone’s game, but the scary thing is if whatever happened to John at the final hole repeats itself, while painful, that’ll be exciting.  It means everything will come down to the finish

It’s on USA channel right now, not Golf Channel.

Edited by Spunkygal
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

It’s on USA channel right now, not Golf Channel.

Huh.  I see.  Interesting; I wonder why it wasn't on USA yesterday.  It's been on USA every day (including Thursday & Friday)  at least for me.  If it wasn't on USA yesterday, then I have no idea what channel they aired the 3rd round, if at all.

Like on Saturday, I was doing something else, so I did not have the television on to start.  I probably find it.  Or not since I still don't know what was up with the lack of consistency

24 minutes ago, Carey said:

Huh.  I see.  Interesting; I wonder why it wasn't on USA yesterday.  It's been on USA every day (including Thursday & Friday)  at least for me.  If it wasn't on USA yesterday, then I have no idea what channel they aired the 3rd round, if at all.

Like on Saturday, I was doing something else, so I did not have the television on to start.  I probably find it.  Or not since I still don't know what was up with the lack of consistency

In the afternoon, it was on NBC. They’ve been trying to get people to sign up for Peacock Premium streaming, so it might have been there earlier yesterday, plus on Saturday they may have commitments to show other sports on USA.

I’m sort of surprised the players have had so much trouble with this older style course.

His last bunker shot was ridiculous and one of the best shots I’ve seen this year. Very happy for him, but gutted for Zalatoris for being in second yet again and hope he wins a major soon. 

• Love 1

Will is maturing into a fine, steady player. I was rooting for him or Scottie  but Fitzpatrick deserved the win. I’m excited about The British Open. I love early morning golf viewing! 

• Love 1
(edited)

Figures Koepka is going to the LIV tour. With his social media it’s clear him and his wife are trying to build a brand, and what better way than a ton of money especially if you haven’t been playing well lately. He’s also following Bryson, whom I thought he had beef with. Good riddance to another douchebag I don’t have to watch on weekends.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3