Type keyword(s) to search

Right in the Lumberyard: The Golf Thread

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Cam Smith is already whining how LIV tournaments don’t count for world ranking points. You knew this going in, and still signed with them. Go cry somewhere else.

The only player who has owned up to why he joined LIV is Varner. He said that he played golf so he could afford college, and now has more money than he’d ever win on the PGA tour so he can pay it forward since he didn’t grow up with much money. He said he’s going to do a lot of good with the 50 million or so he’s going to get, so I can’t fault him. He even said if he didn’t have to play any more majors he would be okay with it since he’s not a golf purist.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

In related news, LIV has gotten itself a US television deal with the CW network. Broadcast and streaming, staring next month. LIV controls the broadcast production. Friday rounds will be shown via an app, with Saturday and Sunday on TV.

CW is a division of the new Warner/Discovery. They have been involved in a brutal, no holds barred, round of cost cutting ever since the merger. And now they acquire a new property?

They must have received very favorable terms.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

CW is a division of the new Warner/Discovery. They have been involved in a brutal, no holds barred, round of cost cutting ever since the merger. And now they acquire a new property?

They must have received very favorable terms.

Actually, the article I read said that last year a company called Nexstar, the largest operator of local TV stations, bought 75% of the network from Paramount and Warner/Discovery and said they wanted to take the network in a new direction. I guess this was part of that.

• Useful 1
  • 2 weeks later...

First event of the year for CBS is a final.  Max Homa wins the Farmers down nearly a half dozen shots.  It's the sixth win for the PGA pro

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of notes in additional to Tiger news.  The 15-time major winner is committed to playing in next week's Genesis Open.  I believe this is the last golf event on CBS before the Masters (as is the custom).

Justin Rose winning the Pebble Beach Pro-am was significant in several ways.  First win in several years, and it's the first time a European won the event.  That never crossed my mind (I assumed it had happened in the past).

While it's the place to be this weekend, it's probably not the place to be if you hate traffic.  With the Super Bowl nearby, the Phoenix Open is happening this weekend.  IMO it's a pretty decent event with the "infamous" 16th hole that might headline the event more than the actual winner of the PGA event.

Last year it was a "scene of sorts" with people throwing stuff (specifically cans of beer) on Day Three of the event whenever someone made a Hole in One on the sixteenth hole.  Per Golf Digest, I wouldn't expect such a scene to occur this year.  However, something happened that didn't need to happen earlier in the event that has my doubts on whether the staff can control certain behavior this weekend

• Like 2

I know that’s how the Waste Management is, but the grouchy mom in me comes out when people start chucking their cups and bottles on the 16th and forcing everyone to clean up after their drunk asses. I also hate the drunk booing. Get off my lawn!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Awww, the DeChambeu/Koepka Feud Is Done.  Oh well!

I guess it took joining LIV to make it happen, though I personally never thought of it as super serious.  Just a battle as it related to on course play and not in real life.  Either way, it was entertaining, but IMO nothing wrong with two of the best getting along.

In terms of on course action, Chris Kirk has a 2-shot lead heading into the Honda Classic's final round.  First lead at this point in 8 years, and if he were to hold on, it would be his first win in as many years (two separate events).

BTW & FYI, Scheffler and Rahm continue to dominate, following wins in the Phoenix Open & the Genesis Open, respectively

• Like 1

I continue to love all those douchebags going to LIV so I don’t have to see their smug asses every weekend on the PGA tour. Thanks so much for your greediness Greg Norman!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Well, based on their ratings (close to an actual nothing), no one has to see them unless they choose to!

I'm still okay with the PGA.  Especially today's final round with Chris Kirk surviving over Eric Cole to claim his first win in 8 years at the Honda Classic.  It took a 73rd hole but he got the job done

I watched the LIV coverage on Saturday for about an hour. Some embarrassing glitches. The coverage started with no sound for the announcers on screen and ran for a couple of minutes before they cut to commercial. The picture froze during a tracking shot of a ball in flight and they had to cut to commercial.

It’s pretty much the same as their streaming coverage last year with better announcers. Still confusing and hard to follow, distracting graphics on the screen. You really can’t get into the “competition”. Maybe they’re aiming for the Tik-Tok generation.

I hope the Honda (or whatever it will be called) gets a better field next year, but I still found the playoff hole pretty exciting.

• Useful 1

(edited)
On 2/27/2023 at 7:28 AM, Rickster said:

Maybe they’re aiming for the Tik-Tok generation.

That would appear to be exactly who the coverage is designed for.  I found it amateurish and distracting. The broadcast crew wasn't nearly as entertaining (to me) as they seemed to think.  The golf appeared to take a backseat to the production circus.  I realize that everything about LIV is in its infancy, but the people aren't. Feherty has always been a C-level comic trying to pass as a journalist, and it appears that is why he was given a traincar-load of money. The Saudis will have a lengthy wait for ROI if what I saw was the product.

Not for me.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's see if I remember to switch to TPC live this time.  At least there isn't too much to occupy today (at least until 6:00).

Scheffler leads The Player's Championship (at least heading into the Final Round).  Two weeks ago I mentioned him & Rahm dominating the field, so it's pretty good that he's doing well.  Especially since Rahm got unlucky & had to pull out

Lost in the Madness that precedes "March Madness" was a continuation of PGA dominance from Scottie Scheffler.  One week after falling short of a successful defense at the Arnold Palmer Invitational (won by Kurt Kitayama) & the Top ranking that would've played out with it, I think he's okay.  As Scheffler regained the number one ranking, he became the third person to win the Masters and the Players Championship within a 12-month period.

Speaking of the Masters, I always root for Rory to win it since, IMO, he's closer to the career GS than Jordan is.  Plus, McIlroy has a Players Championship (& FedEx title).  In case he can't get it done, I would totally be okay for Scottie to repeat without (a late) struggle.  I wouldn't mind seeing Rahm or Rose get there, but I'll probably have to bet on someone random next month for the victory

• Like 1