Type keyword(s) to search

Right in the Lumberyard: The Golf Thread

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Cam Smith is already whining how LIV tournaments don’t count for world ranking points. You knew this going in, and still signed with them. Go cry somewhere else.

The only player who has owned up to why he joined LIV is Varner. He said that he played golf so he could afford college, and now has more money than he’d ever win on the PGA tour so he can pay it forward since he didn’t grow up with much money. He said he’s going to do a lot of good with the 50 million or so he’s going to get, so I can’t fault him. He even said if he didn’t have to play any more majors he would be okay with it since he’s not a golf purist.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

In related news, LIV has gotten itself a US television deal with the CW network. Broadcast and streaming, staring next month. LIV controls the broadcast production. Friday rounds will be shown via an app, with Saturday and Sunday on TV.

CW is a division of the new Warner/Discovery. They have been involved in a brutal, no holds barred, round of cost cutting ever since the merger. And now they acquire a new property?

They must have received very favorable terms.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

CW is a division of the new Warner/Discovery. They have been involved in a brutal, no holds barred, round of cost cutting ever since the merger. And now they acquire a new property?

They must have received very favorable terms.

Actually, the article I read said that last year a company called Nexstar, the largest operator of local TV stations, bought 75% of the network from Paramount and Warner/Discovery and said they wanted to take the network in a new direction. I guess this was part of that.

• Useful 1

A couple of notes in additional to Tiger news.  The 15-time major winner is committed to playing in next week's Genesis Open.  I believe this is the last golf event on CBS before the Masters (as is the custom).

Justin Rose winning the Pebble Beach Pro-am was significant in several ways.  First win in several years, and it's the first time a European won the event.  That never crossed my mind (I assumed it had happened in the past).

While it's the place to be this weekend, it's probably not the place to be if you hate traffic.  With the Super Bowl nearby, the Phoenix Open is happening this weekend.  IMO it's a pretty decent event with the "infamous" 16th hole that might headline the event more than the actual winner of the PGA event.

Last year it was a "scene of sorts" with people throwing stuff (specifically cans of beer) on Day Three of the event whenever someone made a Hole in One on the sixteenth hole.  Per Golf Digest, I wouldn't expect such a scene to occur this year.  However, something happened that didn't need to happen earlier in the event that has my doubts on whether the staff can control certain behavior this weekend

• Like 2

I know that’s how the Waste Management is, but the grouchy mom in me comes out when people start chucking their cups and bottles on the 16th and forcing everyone to clean up after their drunk asses. I also hate the drunk booing. Get off my lawn!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Awww, the DeChambeu/Koepka Feud Is Done.  Oh well!

I guess it took joining LIV to make it happen, though I personally never thought of it as super serious.  Just a battle as it related to on course play and not in real life.  Either way, it was entertaining, but IMO nothing wrong with two of the best getting along.

In terms of on course action, Chris Kirk has a 2-shot lead heading into the Honda Classic's final round.  First lead at this point in 8 years, and if he were to hold on, it would be his first win in as many years (two separate events).

BTW & FYI, Scheffler and Rahm continue to dominate, following wins in the Phoenix Open & the Genesis Open, respectively

• Like 1

Well, based on their ratings (close to an actual nothing), no one has to see them unless they choose to!

I'm still okay with the PGA.  Especially today's final round with Chris Kirk surviving over Eric Cole to claim his first win in 8 years at the Honda Classic.  It took a 73rd hole but he got the job done

I watched the LIV coverage on Saturday for about an hour. Some embarrassing glitches. The coverage started with no sound for the announcers on screen and ran for a couple of minutes before they cut to commercial. The picture froze during a tracking shot of a ball in flight and they had to cut to commercial.

It’s pretty much the same as their streaming coverage last year with better announcers. Still confusing and hard to follow, distracting graphics on the screen. You really can’t get into the “competition”. Maybe they’re aiming for the Tik-Tok generation.

I hope the Honda (or whatever it will be called) gets a better field next year, but I still found the playoff hole pretty exciting.

• Useful 1
On 2/27/2023 at 7:28 AM, Rickster said:

Maybe they’re aiming for the Tik-Tok generation.

That would appear to be exactly who the coverage is designed for.  I found it amateurish and distracting. The broadcast crew wasn't nearly as entertaining (to me) as they seemed to think.  The golf appeared to take a backseat to the production circus.  I realize that everything about LIV is in its infancy, but the people aren't. Feherty has always been a C-level comic trying to pass as a journalist, and it appears that is why he was given a traincar-load of money. The Saudis will have a lengthy wait for ROI if what I saw was the product.

Not for me.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Let's see if I remember to switch to TPC live this time.  At least there isn't too much to occupy today (at least until 6:00).

Scheffler leads The Player's Championship (at least heading into the Final Round).  Two weeks ago I mentioned him & Rahm dominating the field, so it's pretty good that he's doing well.  Especially since Rahm got unlucky & had to pull out

Lost in the Madness that precedes "March Madness" was a continuation of PGA dominance from Scottie Scheffler.  One week after falling short of a successful defense at the Arnold Palmer Invitational (won by Kurt Kitayama) & the Top ranking that would've played out with it, I think he's okay.  As Scheffler regained the number one ranking, he became the third person to win the Masters and the Players Championship within a 12-month period.

Speaking of the Masters, I always root for Rory to win it since, IMO, he's closer to the career GS than Jordan is.  Plus, McIlroy has a Players Championship (& FedEx title).  In case he can't get it done, I would totally be okay for Scottie to repeat without (a late) struggle.  I wouldn't mind seeing Rahm or Rose get there, but I'll probably have to bet on someone random next month for the victory

• Like 1
(edited)
On 3/12/2023 at 8:18 PM, Carey said:

Lost in the Madness that precedes "March Madness" was a continuation of PGA dominance from Scottie Scheffler.  One week after falling short of a successful defense at the Arnold Palmer Invitational (won by Kurt Kitayama) & the Top ranking that would've played out with it, I think he's okay.  As Scheffler regained the number one ranking, he became the third person to win the Masters and the Players Championship within a 12-month period.

Speaking of the Masters, I always root for Rory to win it since, IMO, he's closer to the career GS than Jordan is.  Plus, McIlroy has a Players Championship (& FedEx title).  In case he can't get it done, I would totally be okay for Scottie to repeat without (a late) struggle.  I wouldn't mind seeing Rahm or Rose get there, but I'll probably have to bet on someone random next month for the victory

Just about all the folks in this post are struggling, with Rory officially not making the cut.  Wild.  Super impressed with Sam the amateur. I'll be silently rooting for him, lol.

Rahm is up there. Anyone but that douche Koepka at this point, and I couldn’t stand him before he deflected. 
I felt bad for the afternoon players because they kept getting interrupted by the weather horn. I wonder if they will allow Friday tickets tomorrow? Can’t imagine finally getting the Masters lottery tickets and then not being able to see a full day of golf.

2 hours ago, twoods said:

Rahm is up there. Anyone but that douche Koepka at this point, and I couldn’t stand him before he deflected. 
I felt bad for the afternoon players because they kept getting interrupted by the weather horn. I wonder if they will allow Friday tickets tomorrow? Can’t imagine finally getting the Masters lottery tickets and then not being able to see a full day of golf.

I think the weather is supposed to be even worse Saturday. Rainy and raw. 

(edited)

It's a mess right now, but it looks like they'll at least have a contingency plan.  What's important is that the got through the delayed second round.

With Woods backdoor courtesy of Thomas (and IM), we'll see if he can even get to Sunday.  I'm not sure when he goes.  Might be when CBS goes live at 3 instead of before that time

Edited by Carey
Might want to throw the word "see" in there to make a better point (& to make sense) within my post
  • Useful 1
(edited)

CBS hasn't said this yet, but this is from the Masters outright

Edited by Carey
As I was preparing this post, Nantz just mentioned it (about 3 minutes after the Masters posted online)

Yeah, figured by all the massive puddles on the greens. I’m wondering if Tiger will withdraw since he’s struggling out there with the weather and noticeably limping.

2 hours ago, twoods said:

Yeah, figured by all the massive puddles on the greens. I’m wondering if Tiger will withdraw since he’s struggling out there with the weather and noticeably limping.

It depends on how he's feeling, I believe.  The suspension of the third round, AND the decision to call it off as early as they did (as opposed to trying to hope for a restart) may have been the best thing for him.

He'll still have to play a ton on Sunday since the plan is for them to finish as scheduled.  Despite what I've heard on TWC, a Monday finish isn't that probable.  The good news is that there's no pressure to make a cut, and I'm not betting on him posting a 50 (and even that may not be enough).  If the weather had been an issue, I could see him bolting, but it depends on if the necessary rest is enough to continue long enough to finish 72 holes.

As for Rahm vs Koepka?  Meh.  I actually don't hate the latter, but I think it would be better if the former won.  40 years removed from his idol, whose birthday is actually on Sunday

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Carey said:

It depends on how he's feeling, I believe.  The suspension of the third round, AND the decision to call it off as early as they did (as opposed to trying to hope for a restart) may have been the best thing for him.

He'll still have to play a ton on Sunday since the plan is for them to finish as scheduled.  Despite what I've heard on TWC, a Monday finish isn't that probable.  The good news is that there's no pressure to make a cut, and I'm not betting on him posting a 50 (and even that may not be enough).  If the weather had been an issue, I could see him bolting, but it depends on if the necessary rest is enough to continue long enough to finish 72 holes.

As for Rahm vs Koepka?  Meh.  I actually don't hate the latter, but I think it would be better if the former won.  40 years removed from his idol, whose birthday is actually on Sunday

My husband and I have been tossing around scenarios about whether or not Tiger will WD. I've no doubt that he wants to, perhaps more than he ever has or will, but I'm thinking he will try to gut it out. I'm looking for a game-time decision on that.  I hope this experience gives him pause to think about his future. I feel he either has to play more, or not at all (competitively). He has nothing to prove, and even he has to think now that he will not catch Nicklaus' major record.

He likely works harder than anyone to rehab his body, but age does not make it easier, nor does rain and +/- 40 degrees. I would hate to see him finish his career by limping off into the sunset with a 50 on some back 9 somewhere, but he is dangerously close to just that.

• Like 1
(edited)

Rahm & Koepka are pretty much back to where they started, and Tiger is not back as he has WD.

SuprSuprElevated: Great point(s) re: Tiger.  I pretty much could not agree more.  It's easy for me to "brush off" Woods' off-course behavior only because IDC about celebrity/athletes/etc life outside of what I see. 

I'm aware of it & am disappointed of course.  However, like many things, I probably wouldn't know about stuff if I don't hear about it.  That being said, I'm a fan of what he does on the course.  He's a trooper, does whatever it takes to continue on.  Not a stat-padder or whatever it's called, but if he's able to continue in a sport where father time is still undefeated but one where the "victory" doesn't come as quick as in other sports, who can blame him?

At the end of the day, twoods is on point with the conditions which may have helped contribute to his injury.  With the constant change in weather & time, injury history & lack of playing, it wasn't meant to be.  Too bad he's out but hopefully it's possible that he'll be better next time

Edited by Carey
  • Like 2

I agree with you guys. I’ve never seen him playing through this much pain, even with his back injuries. I don’t know how he’s still out there with a surgically reconstructed leg and his ailing back. I’m sure he’s going to try to grind out the US Open since it’s in LA, but he hasn’t won at Oak Hill so the PGA may be doubtful, and can he handle the cool weather at the British? I’m wondering if he’s trying to play through the pain since he’s still the face of the PGA tour, and with the LIV gaining more players if he retires who knows how many others will deflect. 

• Like 2

I think if Woods was in a position to finish in the top 10, say, he might have tried to grit it out. But to torture himself with the amount of golf to be played today when he was barely above the cut line made no sense, IMO. He kept his streak going of cuts made. I’m not surprised at all that he WD.

• Like 4

Lefty is who he is.  Despite the latest, unlike Tiger, he can still compete at a decent level. 

Great run, and nice showing by Mickelson. However, the only way Phil will have a real, legit chance at the 2023 title is if Jon Rahm actually withdrew for less than NO reason, period

No sudden, out of nowhere WD from Jon Rahm (total joke from earlier).  On Seve's birthday, the hottest player of 2023 wins his second major & first Green Jacket.  Halfway home toward the career grand slam.

I often say sports are scripted (they aren't), but it was just fitting, and the perfect story that Rahm wins 40 years after Seve on the latter's anniversary of his date of birth.  Jon has had a lot of great moments & wins prior to this season.

While I would've been okay with Brooks winning, I'm so glad that it was Jon Rahm.  Didn't see it until his Friday charge (though it was Koepka's event to lose, though he may have lost it to someone else anyway)

• Like 2

It was a good day of golf. We got a VERY deserving champion. We had some crazy great rounds from big name players to add some excitement. We saw great players make a couple AWFUL shots. Heh. 

The only thing missing was a second player in the last two or three groups pushing Rahm. 

I love the Masters for many reasons, and one is that the leaderboard is always full of great players. No letdown this year

• Like 3

In what felt like it came out of nowhere, Jason Day's victory in the Byron Nelson event 13 years after doing so to get his career going is his first win in about a half decade.  On one hand, I'm surprised that it's been that long, but OTOH, thinking about the past 5 years, it isn't too much of a surprise.

Congratulations to Tony Finau and Wyndham Clark for their recent wins at the Mexico Open & Wells Fargo Championship, respectfully.  Hats off to Matt Fitzpatrick & his win at the RBC Heritage.  To be fair Jordan, he was lucky to have been in that spot where he had a chance to win.  Fitz probably could've closed things out a lot sooner.  BTW, Rahm was (sorta) in the hunt in an event that pretty much every past Masters Champions skip; hats off for him playing there!

Well, it looks like we're going to have a new PGA champion.  Justin Thomas ain't rallying from this deficit (this time).  In fact, in a way, Lefty is defending his title, having not played in 2022.  Just a year later I suppose, but it really doesn't matter since he isn't winning either.

Basically, we'll have to go back to 2018-2019 for the best shot a champion that's won the Championship before.  I don't think Brooks is falling this time.  However, I can see people like Rose and Scottie outplaying him.  Hovland, who's paired with Koepka, is due, but I think him winning is enough to where I'm not going to bet on him succeeding today at Oak Hill.

BTW, no Rahm slam this year, and with Jordan not getting it done, looks like another year where someone will not complete a career grand slam.  There are a couple people that can get to within 1 event from it, however.  TBH, while I don't think Phil is winning at Brookline, this is the first time in quite awhile that I've had some optimism that he could pull it off.

IMO, I think any anger & annoyance of the LIV stuff has gone by.  IOW, I don't have an issue with guys like Bryson (new look for the guy), Brooks, Lefty, and DJ.  Well, several of them, but not all of them.  Despite their decisions, it was great to see them again at the PGA

• Like 1
(edited)

With Brooks Koepka winning the PGA Championship, it's the 20th guy to earn 5, one of a handful to do it before 34, the 3rd PGA in 5 years, and ends the criticism of the next Tiger failing to win 5 or more before a dry spell.

Of course, others will talk about the hero of the day, Michael Block's hole in one!

Edited by Carey
Others not other
  • Like 1

With the talk of "storybook" stuff in the world of golf (from 2 weeks ago), it would be rather nice if Rory won today.

The goat once mentioned McIlroy as the future face of the sport, I think, about 12 years ago.  A post-round handshake would, IMO, be pretty iconic.  Outside of that green jacket, not winning the Memorial would be a missing segment in the story of the PGA Tour.

Come to think of it, there might be some surprise that Rory hasn't won the event.  OTOH, it's not a shocker since McIlroy tends to peak after that period while sorta struggling before it.

His surge over the past couple of days landed him in the final pairing with Si Woo Kim & part of a 3-way tie that includes David Lipsky

Lets see how the PGA addresses sportswashing, which was raised as such a huge issue when LIV was formed. I guess there is no moral high ground when big bucks are involved.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Not sure if all the PGA players will be mad.  Happy about the merge.  I'd say no.  However, these moves are anything but a surprise.  I think those that passed on the LIV that didn't hate it while not needing it couldn't care less about this news.  I imagine they'll focus on winning on the tour, not who's playing where

(edited)
26 minutes ago, Carey said:

Not sure if all the PGA players will be mad.  Happy about the merge.  I'd say no.  However, these moves are anything but a surprise.  I think those that passed on the LIV that didn't hate it while not needing it couldn't care less about this news.  I imagine they'll focus on winning on the tour, not who's playing where

I'm pretty sure they're all pissed. You know there was plenty of behind-the-scenes pleading and cajoling to keep these guys on the PGA tour. Especially in light of the cash that LIV was throwing around. And who ended up taking the money? The PGA Tour.

And the PGA didn't even tell them before announcing it. The guys who stuck around look like suckers.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I'm wondering if Rory sort of knew this was coming, which would explain his announcement a couple of weeks ago that he was going to pull back from being a PGA front-man, and return to bing a golfer. 

I'm betting he's pissed as hell.

Cash is king.

What will the anti-trust litigators make of this? What if Microsoft, Apple and Google decided to merge...

• Like 2

Per the Washington Post:

“So weird,” Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) tweeted on Tuesday, “PGA officials were in my office just months ago talking about how the Saudis’ human rights record should disqualify them from having a stake in a major American sport. I guess maybe their concerns weren’t really about human rights?”

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm wondering if Rory sort of knew this was coming, which would explain his announcement a couple of weeks ago that he was going to pull back from being a PGA front-man, and return to bing a golfer. 

I'm betting he's pissed as hell.

Tiger should be the one who's pissed as hell.  Last year he had an offer in the $700-$800 million range and turned it down.  Unless he has a Scrooge McDuck money bin somewhere that has to sting.

• Like 1
(edited)

Just finished watching Brandel Chamblee, who has been a vocal opponent of LIV, and he's trying to say that it's not about him, or Phil, or anyone else who "may gloat" over this, but he said that ultimately to him, it's "a sad day".

Jay Monahan gon' be busy. Would love to be a fly on the wall of the members meeting set for 4pm eastern today.

• Like 2