Type keyword(s) to search

Right in the Lumberyard: The Golf Thread

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

I just saw a graphic that says that Scheffler's 68.63 scoring average this year was the 7th lowest in history; top 6 are Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods and some guy named Tiger Woods.

He had two years at 67.79 (2007 and 2000) and then years of 68.05, 68.41, 68.43, 68.56 and 68.66 which is now bumped back to 8th best. (I love stats like this.)

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

That outcome isn't surprising at all.  Probably expected.  This was the speculation when Zach Johnson picked his team.  He didn't do a great job with his selections, and so far the results are proving that

• Like 2
The afternoon didn’t go much better.

I had watched snippets of some of the European tournaments on the Golf Channel over the past few weeks and noticed that a number of the Euro team members were playing in them. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to give the US team a few weeks off.

I don't watch much golf, but I do enjoy the Ryder Cup.  Does anyone have a take on the Rory McIlroy/Joe LaCava brouhaha, and what's with Patrick Cantlay and the whole hat thing?  He's not wearing one because it doesn't fit?  Seriously?

And to the surprise of nobody, Europe wins the Ryder Cup.  It was probably an attempt from the announcers (or a legit one) to promote the US chances.  Those were there, but then prior to Europe clinching, it was a tall task before it was over.  Next time, do something on Thursday

Edited by Carey
Edited for reasons related to singular & plural words
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Carey said:

Next time, do something on Thursday

The US is atrocious in foursomes. After 0-4 on Thursday, I think they went 1-3 on Friday. Just a couple points and it would have been fun to watch today. 

20 hours ago, Ancaster said:

He's not wearing one because it doesn't fit?

He’s not wearing the licensed gear without getting paid to wear it. golfers have been doing this for 30 years, it’s no big deal.

• Useful 1

Rahm is headed to LIV.

Every so often, fans on social media compare a sports move to the NWO, and TBH, there's nothing that's equal to that special day on July 07th, 1996.  If Rory joined the NWO, that would be a candidate, but for me, that's more Stone Cold turning in 2001.

Probably the under-the-radar news of the year.  The CFB aftermath, NFL season heating up; when golf gets relevant again, nobody is going to remember this move or remember where they were when it happened

I can't blame you for not keeping up.  It's football season, so that's going to be the case for everyone.  Of course, the shock people will have after the football season ends might be interesting.  I might laugh, but as mentioned, $500,000,000 isn't an amount someone's saying, "No thanks I good."

The merge is interesting.  That's still the case, but I also though Greg Norman was not a big deal with the move.  Either way, I no longer have any issues with LIV.  I never really did anyway, but I just was okay with the PGA only

• Useful 1
On 8/31/2023 at 3:21 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I just saw a graphic that says that Scheffler's 68.63 scoring average this year was the 7th lowest in history; top 6 are Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods and some guy named Tiger Woods.

Just saw someone posting a few more wild statistics about Tiger Woods. 

IMG_3470.jpeg

IMG_3471.jpeg

IMG_3469.jpeg

• Mind Blown 2
  • Thanks 1

After 3 rounds, Patrick Cantley's 5-shot lead turned into a 2-shot lead (-14).  Zalatoris & Xander are tied for second, and List, English, & Jason Day round out the Top 5.  No chance for Rory this weekend (-4), but maybe the opposite will play out during the next CBS golf event

Sorta didn't mention him as being in contention.  I guess my reasoning was that he wasn't.  TBH, I saw him playing this weekend, and I was thinking, "Whatever happens here, he'll place somewhere, get paid, while someone else wins Tiger's event, and it will not matter since most golfers don't have what he has." That would be the Green Jacket.

I probably wouldn't say Cantley blew it "at home" since he wasn't going to win anyway.  I think he did okay this weekend, but it wasn't happening for Patrick.  Though I'd have bet on him before Hideki for sure!

Looks like Scottie Scheffler is getting hot at the right time.  Big win at Arnold Palmer's event ahead of the Players Championship.  A chance for the 2022 Masters winner to do something unprecedented.   Which means that it's not happening.

While Golf this weekend was a blast, I sorta wished TPC didn't move along with everything else, but similar to the NCAA Tournament, there's a schedule connection where it'll end 4 weeks before Sunday at the Masters Tournament

• Like 1

Well, as of right now, I'm totally focused on TPC.  Not that I'd forget (which I think has happened recently), and not that I'm ignoring College Hoops Championship weekend, but it's a part of must see television.

After 36 holes, Wyndham Clark is rolling (-14), followed by Nick Taylor, Xander, Maverick, and the Fitz.  Clark, who actually played excellent in both days (prior to the weekend), has a 4-shot lead.

Sam Burns has rallied to a sixth place spot, but that's after his third round, prior to the leaders teeing off on Saturday.  That's probably what Scottie (also in sixth) needs to do on both weekend days in order to give TPC its first back-to-back champion.  Plus, Clark would have to stumble in (at least) one of the final 2 days.

Rory is in 15th, so I guess maybe super-prepare for the event that's taking place 4 weeks from this weekend.

On 3/11/2024 at 8:18 PM, Carey said:

Looks like Scottie Scheffler is getting hot at the right time.  Big win at Arnold Palmer's event ahead of the Players Championship.  A chance for the 2022 Masters winner to do something unprecedented.   Which means that it's not happening.

Add the preceding to the list...or send it to Old Takes Exposed!

What was unprecedented?  Our first ever back-to-back winner at Sawgrass.  Despite The Players Championship going head-to-head over the Big 10 Title Game and Selection Sunday, it feels more decent than the PGA Championship.

Just get that second Green Jacket already!

Pretty excited about the Masters this weekend.

Looking at all the adorable clips of the players’ kids playing golf. I can’t stop smiling at how cute they all are!

• Like 3

Yeah, so happy that the Masters Tournament is here.  Who needs the Eclipse festivities when you have the best, most prestigious event in golf?

Just kidding about the Eclipse, that was pretty wonderful, but the action from Augusta is always going to be worth it  no matter the outcome.

Some things are due, or not.  Others are either special or okay while hoping for a difference result

Death, taxes, Tiger making it to the weekend, Rory in the position of waiting until next year, and Scottie amongst the leaders without much effort.

On a different note, I'm going to miss Verne.

Max Homa had the best second day combined with the overall outcome after 36 holes.  It's a 3-way tie with him, Scottie, and Bryson (-6).  Morikawa is 3 shots back, and the Cams are both 5 shots back.

To be fair Tiger has a chance, and Rahm, well, at least made the weekend.  Rory will be playing this weekend as well.  Unless proven otherwise, however, Jack's record at Augusta is safe, Jon will be putting the green jacket on someone else, and the number of career grand slam winners will remain the same.

The only big name that missed is Spieth.  Though Jordan played okay, the issue of blowing everything in one single hole was present.

Biggest headline is a new record.  24 straight made cuts at the Masters for the 5-time Masters champion.  That, I believe is a records in major events outright.  No more than 40 people have even played in over 2 dozen major events in their lifetime.  Woods' 100th round at the Masters is scheduled for Sunday, April 14, 2024

Final pairings include Bryson & Xander (Third-to-Last Group) ; Aberg & Homa (Penultimate Pairing Group) ; and Scheffler & Morikawa (Final Pairing).  Within the Top 5, from one player to the next, it's a one-shot separation (from -7 to -3, DeChambeau's spot).  Schauffele is among 3 people tied at -2, and then the final 4 players in red figures include the two Camerons.

I neglected to mention the third Cameron (Davis -2) on Saturday.  He's five back.  Also, Fleetwood has a shot, but there's just a lot of people within reach so he would probably have to shot a 62 and hope someone just do 50% of that.

FWIW, I think 7 of the past 8 winners came from the last group.  Probably should've been 8 for 8.  Feels like it's been the case over the past dozen years.  While we have a chance to see Homa win, someone new & unknown win, along with Bryson, if the trend holds we're either getting yet another player that's one event away from the career grand slam, OR another trend (where a year ending in the number 4 features Player A who put a green jacket on Player B who put a green jacket on Player A in a different year within a 3-year period)

(edited)

I'm not sure what Scottie Scheffler did during Monday's eclipse, but a couple things, IMO, are true.  With his second jacket in 3 years, he eclipsed his first performance.  More important, by the end of the month, his story eclipsed at least most of those that were treated to a very nice time.  Fortunately, he didn't have to bolt mid tournament & back to Texas to be there for the birth of his first child.  Which, by the way is bigger than both of his wins at Augusta.

All jokes aside, one thing is isn't a joke is Scottie is definitely the best player in the world.

Edited by Carey
"Whan" is not a great word
  • Like 2
(edited)

After yesterday’s turnaround I knew Scottie had this in the bag. Congrats to him, and for his wife since they have a baby on the way soon. What a perfect April for him.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 3
(edited)

Welp, the last person I ever thought to join LIV has rumored to. I guess the price for doing a 180 on your rigid stance is 850 million and ownership stake.

Edited by twoods