Type keyword(s) to search

Right in the Lumberyard: The Golf Thread

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

I listened to PTI today to hear their take on the LIV/PGA merge. I was shocked to hear Michael Wilbon kind of cheer it on. His rationale was to compare it to the merge of the AFL / NFL decades ago. These were two leagues from the same country! I am well over 70 … so maybe am too old to see the positives in this.

• Like 6

I feel bad for the PGA players who stuck with the PGA because of principles or loyalty, only to find out that they were sold out because of money. I’m sure Rory, Tiger and Max Homa are extra pissed since they were the “faces” of the PGA loyalty.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

The LA Country Club they're playing this week looks like a really cool golf course. I has some super long holes, some super short holes, and some wild greens.  There are two par threes that are like 280-290 yards long.  

There is also the sixth hole which is a 325 yard par 4, but it has a really long, really narrow green as the target, with lots of trouble around the green. It looks like the play to keep your life low stress is to lay up way to the opposite side of where the pin is on the green, and hit a wedge in every day. But it's totally drivable, so why not try?

And then on the back nine, right between a 623 yard par 5 and a 542 yard par 4, is the 125 yard 15th hole. The green is shaped in a way where they can put the pin in the back and it's 140 yards, or they can put it in that little narrow section in the front and it'll play 78 yards. Which they are totally going to do.

image.thumb.png.89bb913f06bed78faa386673063e6fce.png

• Like 2

Yeah we'll see how today & the weekend play out.  I'm so used to seeing the US Open participants struggle.  However, when 2 people (both of whom are (beyond) due for a major title) each reach the new US Open record, then the chances of people struggling may not be there.  Though I believe Xander said it's only Day 1.  Very smart

1 hour ago, Rickster said:

I’m sure the USGA is unhappy with the scores so far.

I think they knew that the wide fairways would give the players an opportunity to shoot lower scores. But they opted not to narrow them down like they do on many US Open tracks because it would take away from the way the course is designed. 

I would imagine that they'll let the greens dry out and put some pins in more challenging spots.  But we're going to get a low score for the winner.

If 36-hole leader Rickie Fowler can successfully attempt to emulate what he did on Thursday, and somewhat the same on Sunday, he should be okay should the USGA toughen things up.  In emulating Day One, I'm not saying that Rickie will need shoot a 62 (though that would help); just don't screw up and maybe get close to that.

For what it's worth, Cam Smith is six shots back, which is ideal for the 2022 Open winner with 36 holes to play.  However, it might not matter since it could be difficult for anyone to make a run.

Wyndham Clark is one back at -9, BTW.  Xander & Rory are 2 back.  In addition to the current 10th place play Cameron Smith, DJ, Scottie, Lee, Bennett, and English are right there with a chance this weekend

• Like 1
(edited)

I saw the sad story about Wyndham Clark's mother.   I hate cancer. 

I love seeing everyone playing in decent weather this week.   I love Rickie Fowler leading, certainly there have been a lot of low scores this week.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I know the USGA hate it, but fans (including me) are loving all the great shots and birdie/eagle tries. I hate watching the usual bogey fest of US Opens so this has been a treat. NBC coverage, however, continues to be atrocious. I don’t need to see the leaders practicing their putts when there are other players out there hitting quality shots.

• Like 2

Meh.  I do love the struggle when it comes to the US Open.  However, not to the point where (all of) the scores are pretty damn high.  I don't have a problem because it's a reminder that the course owns the golfers and not the other way around.

Having said that, I have enjoyed the decent scoring this week.  Plus, we're in a sports world where more scoring is the way to go.  As for the coverage, while I have enjoyed it, I'd still give it a C+ for NBC.  Could be better, but it isn't

• Like 1

So, when Rickie Fowler finished with a painful bogey to end his third round, I figured that he was done for.  However, his behavior, interactions, and interviews probably indicate that he's probably not going to have a meltdown.  I think he got a good night's rest without that being on the mind.  He's still tied for the lead (first 54-hole lead in a major, shared or outright), so regardless of whether he made that putt or not, he'll still need to crush it to finally break through.  Co-leader Wyndham Clark likely isn't going anywhere.

I think Kim & Nagano aren't going to pose a threat to Fowler and Clark, nor will Cam Smith and Bryson.  While they have the power to make a run, I think the deficit is just enough for the leaders to avoid the scare.

English, Xander, and DJ could be in championship contention, but the thing is that the leaders aren't the only people they'd have to catch.

If it's neither Rickie nor Wyndham, I think it'll probably be Rory or Scottie for the win.  They're one & two back; Rory is due, but what might also hinder him is he could play very well, but then Scheffler might dish out the same thing Cameron did at Saint Andrews last year.

I know it's a West Coast event, but there really isn't a reason for the schedule on Sunday to emulate Saturday's schedule.  Things could end earlier on this final round, but I honestly think they could've started a couple hours sooner.  Yeah, LA would rather not start golf coverage at 8:00 AM local, but no one that's starting off will factor into the winner's circle

• Like 1
Just now, Salacious Kitty said:

Well, Clark hung in there and pulled out the victory! Good on him. 

Either that or Fowler gave it to him.  Plus Rory didn't catch him, but you're not going to see Clark featured in The Open during the final stages

(edited)

I watched everything so it was tough to see Fowler falter.  Not a shocker, and no: I'm not going to link it to his painful bogey on his 54th.  Even surviving that, the pressure to shave the tag of that best to never win anything was a problem.  TBH, it hit Rickie in the back 9 on Saturday.  It was a surprise to see him as one of the leaders & in a big way.  Too good to be true to follow through; that's why I said he needed another big day in order to close the deal.

Rory had his chances but to be fair, Clark could've done more but didn't need to.  Shades of St. Andrews for McIlroy.  FWIW, he's never won without a 54-hole lead.

Like I sorta mentioned, Cameron Smith had yet another Sunday rally; that guy is a major threat if he's ever in contention headed to Sunday.  He did in fact catch Fowler after all.

Scottie is probably destined to win another one, but he might actually have to be in the lead to do so.  He's not perfect but he usually does more to offset his errors.

Anyway, I guess I'm fine since everything ended by 10:00 Eastern.  Not too bad for a West Coast event

Edited by Carey
Adding more to why Fowler didn't get it done

Somewhere in the middle of his round, McIlroy had about a 6 foot putt for birdie and missed it. I said to my girlfriend, I wonder if that will come back to haunt him. I guess it did. 

Was rooting for Fowler, but would have been OK with McIlroy or Clark too. Pretty tense final round.

6 hours ago, Rickster said:

Somewhere in the middle of his round, McIlroy had about a 6 foot putt for birdie and missed it.

They HAVE to make putts like that one when the course had become so difficult. It's the same problem that kept Scottie Scheffler out of the lead. 

On the other hand, Clark had a couple of disastrously bad shots in the middle of the round and somehow only lost one stroke to par on those two holes. That's an excellent way to win a US Open. 

• Like 2

I know I would prefer to see pros hack their way around US Open level courses than watch them compete to see how many can get to 20+ under par, like this week’s tournament in CT.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I know I would prefer to see pros hack their way around US Open level courses than watch them compete to see how many can get to 20+ under par, like this week’s tournament in CT.

Rory pretty much said the same thing.  That course hasn't held up to the way the game has progressed. The fact that it was soft due to rain made scoring even easier. 

Not sure what they would need to do to make the course more challenging for the pros. I guess they could lengthen it with some new tee boxes, and there's always going US Open style and narrow down the fairways and let the rough grow a bit.  The latter isn't that hard to do, and it should bring the winning score down into the teens.

• Like 1

I will grant that today's golfers have taken fitness and training to a level not seen in the Palmer/Nicklaus era, or even the generation in-between, but for the most part, technology and equipment is to be credited for the changes in results.

To expect decades-old tracks to hold the same challenge is unralistic, and would cost millions to alter. Noise is being made about taking somthing off the golf balls, and perhaps that's the way to go, along with maybe mfg 'woods' with heads smaller than cantaloupes.

I know, won't happen. "Spectators demand..." and all of that. I'm an outlier; I get no joy in watching kids screw thmselves into the ground in an effort to outdrive each other.  For me, it's shot creation skills and putting that make it interesting.

Unrelated peeve - can the "get in the hole!!" idiots please find another sport to follow or just shut up? Your drunk friends aren't impressed that it's your voice on the teevee, nor is anyone else. Right up there with commenting "first" after an internet post. Watch yourselves, natural selection is coming for you.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

It's interesting that the CT course had been redone in the 80's to PGA TPC specifications yet it seems more outmoded that many older courses. 

I am personally in favor of limiting equipment and I think the balls would be the easiest to tinker with.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Carey said:

You know, I'm not a big fan of the so-called "The MATCH" on TNT.  However, this [KC vs The Dubs] might be the best one that they've done since Day One

I am confused by Travis Kelce’s shorts.

Pretty sure no matter how many of these they do will never have a pairing I like more than Tiger and Peyton.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I somehow missed it last night. I'd like to see it; just have to figure out if there is a replay or which streaming service has it.

Same. Probably the poorest promoted of sporting events! Didn't even know about it.

• Useful 1

I almost forgot myself.  Didn't think I would given all the times it was promoted, but when the NBA Finals started, I didn't remember.  Fortunately I recalled given the fact that there was nothing on TV Thursday night other than that golf game

I didn’t know about it until I went on Twitter and people were talking about it.  I watch TBS on the regular and normally they blast ads every break when there is a The Match on TNT but this year, nothing.

They pimped the heck out of it during their NBA coverage, so at the time I didn't think I'd forget.  However, time passed, the finals came & went, and I was happy a 2-month period of "anything goes" started before the NFL season took over my life.

I now don't remember how I remember since I didn't write it down or prepare an alert.  I might've seen a trending topic related to it or I was following the Rocket Mortgage action to where I was able to recall it.

Not great golf, but super entertaining.  Saw a joke about how Mahomes & Kelce usually win by letting "San Francisco" take a lead instead of winning wire-to-wire

With Rickie Fowler's win at the Rocket Mortgage Classic, what was a four-year streak of winless results has come to an end.  I wasn't surprised that he fell out of the Top 160, only to return to within the Top 40 not too long ago.  It is surprising that he only has a half dozen wins on the PGA tour.  Not a shocker for the best player without a major title, but I though he'd have more (but not much more)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Carey said:

With Rickie Fowler's win at the Rocket Mortgage Classic, what was a four-year streak of winless results has come to an end.  I wasn't surprised that he fell out of the Top 160, only to return to within the Top 40 not too long ago.  It is surprising that he only has a half dozen wins on the PGA tour.  Not a shocker for the best player without a major title, but I though he'd have more (but not much more)

I can remember a gossipy article a couple of years ago which stated that a number of pros were upset at the media attention and especially endorsement opportunities that Rickie got, feeling his on course performance, after a decent start to his career, didn’t really merit them.

Maybe some think intentional parings are as such; maybe not, but I think I laughed for a second or two that Brooks and Cantley are in the same group to start The Open

I looked into whether The Open was over before the third round started, but then this morning, I said the game is not over yet.  Even the people playing now (early) have a chance if they play very, very well.  They'll only need Harman to falter.  Unless that happens, only Fleetwood, Straka, Day and the other leaders can catch him.  Easier said than done.

I'd forget about Rory winning tomorrow.  I'm not going to say the same for Spieth, Grillo, and Young, but it might take more than a miracle

Harman's been back/forth between -10/-9 so far. Jon Rahm, meanwhile played a blistering third round and is now tied for second with Cam Young and Jason Day. What looked like a potential runaway for Harman is now a damn good tourney.

I don't think I'll be up within the 5-hour period between this post and the start of the final round, but if the weather conditions were a factor, I suppose it's possible someone teeing off between 4 and 5 in the AM EST or about 9-10 AM local will win it all.  In possible, about 1%.

Man, I love how The Open closes out Major golf action each calendar year (plus the early starts due to the venue).  I'd love my bet on Harman if I'd bet big on it (and if it were to hit).

The guy did get to a 6-shot lead before ending up with a 5-shot lead due to Cam Young's surge.  It's rather comfortable but at the same time it isn't, especially if those behind him dominate on Sunday.

IMO, Cam Young topping Rahm by a shot helps Harman.  That's true if the Jon matches Saturday's performance on Sunday (or tops it).  Even if he didn't, playing like that could distract Harman, unlike playing with Fleetwood where he regained focus.

Unless I'm mistaken, Cam Young & Viktor Hovland are starting the final day around the same spots as they did a year ago at Saint Andrews, but in reverse

Five minutes past the bottom of the local bottom of the 1 o'clock hour. Everyone is off & going. Brian Harman with a six-shot lead, and a 3-way tie with McIlroy, Rahm, and Young.

It's possible a run can happen, but not worth the bet IMO.  The weather might hinder Brian, but at the same time, it could wreck things for John, Rory, and Cam in terms of a come from behind victory

ETA: Harman is at -12

Well Brian Harman is the 2023 Champion Golfer of the Year.  Probably not the big name people would've loved to see, but that guy is so class and pretty much dominated since Friday (while still making it interesting with such a lead against some of the best)

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Rickster said:

Not disappointed in the winner, but would have liked more competitive tension in the final round, and better weather.

There really wasn't a lot of reason to watch, that's for sure. He took the lead and he protected the lead comfortably. 

I typically dislike it when some random guy ranked like 87th in the world wins a major. It's just a thing that sits in my head. I feel like the majors are such a big deal, that I would always like to see really good players take home the trophy and the prestige that stays with them for the rest of their lives. 

Harman was hanging around in the 20s of the world golf rankings before this win. (He's 10th today.)  Right now the world rankings has these guys from 21-26: Jason Day, Tommy Fleetwood, Collin Morikawa, Justin Thomas, Sepp Straka, and Rickie Fowler. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if any of those guys won the Open, so I'm perfectly okay with Harman winning. 

• Like 2

For me, I enjoyed The Open, but I agree there wasn’t a big reason to watch.  I tuned in throughout the week because there’s something special about the game abroad.  Similar to Saint Andrews, The Royal Liverpool Golf Club is unique & looks well put-together.  Not that the American golf courses are awful; they’re not at all, but compared to the UK, it’s just another golf course.  Furthermore, I guess I love early morning sports (ex. Wimbledon, NFL with a 9:30 kickoff) where it seems well-organized.  When it’s over, you have your whole day ahead of you.

For me, while it was Brian Harman’s major to lose, I felt that there was a chance that he could get caught.  It would only take one big time error.  Or Rahm or someone posting a tremendous score. 

None of those things took place on Sunday.  The thing about Harman was that he led throughout & has been okay on tour despite not winning in over a half decade.  I’d be pissed if some nobody charged up on the final day, especially if it was a one-hit wonder (compared to the start of something).  I know people are upset that Rory (2023 Scottish Open winner), Jon, even Fleetwood fell short, but as mentioned, it’s up to them to play better if they want to win.

The majors are a big deal, so I agree that it helps if a big name wins.  Same goes for the top prize in all of sports.  Fortunately, the Fed Ex playoffs are coming.  It’s not a major, but it’s the culmination of a great season of golf.  I think the move to August helps, and finally, you’re probably not getting a nobody winning that given the structure

It felt closer to late July than in the middle of the month, but I do miss the PGA Championship in August, ITA.  Go figure the 2012-2014 theme plays in the background as I post here.  It doesn't feel like a major now that it's in May.  Just a glorified PGA event

• Like 1

So the FedEx playoffs start this afternoon.  Well, it started on Thursday, but CBS coverage begins in about an hour.  New this year is that there are no mid-event cuts.  So everyone that entered made the weekend.  Also a first is the entire post-season, all the way to the Tour Championship is airing on CBS.  I basically forgot about that (and while I'm okay with NBC coverage, this is pretty neat that CBS gets to & is available for the entire Fed Ex Playoffs)

The Tour Championship should be underway in about 5-10 minutes.  As has been the case for the past half decade, the eventual winner will be the 2023 FedEx Cup champion.

As mentioned, I miss how the PGA isn't in August, but at least I will not have to worry about a viewing conflict due to the NFL & College Football (at least until the former starts the season much sooner, hopefully)

3 hours ago, Carey said:

I will not have to worry about a viewing conflict due to the NFL & College Football

Well, we've got Solheim Cup 09/22-09/24 and then Ryder Cup 09/28-10/01, so there's still some golf I will definitely be interested in watching during football season. 

Looks like the Solheim moves to even years in 2024, so they won't be in the same years as Ryder Cups moving forward. 

Yeah that's what I heard.

I'll be watching golf in the fall as well.  Can't wait for the Ryder Cup.  Autumn golf is still great.  I'm already watching about a (half) dozen games of football, in addition the the MLB home stretch.  Just something special about watching everything while at the house, tailgating, or in a sports bar establishment.

The tough thing with so much sports is trying to stay awake all weekend as I'm an early riser.  Fortunately, my viewing package has never been better as of this year!

Anyway, Collin surged up the leaderboard in a big way on Thursday.  He went from 27th to a 3-way tie for first place.  Scottie didn't do anything.  Viktor did a little more than nothing.  FYI, Morikawa shot a 61

Halfway through the Tour Championship, Morikawa, Hovland, and Xander had the best round of the day if not were among the best players for the 2nd day of the final segment of the Fed Ex Cup.  Viktor's 2nd day was still impressive; maybe not as decent as Collin's first day, but those two are tied since Hovland (who won the BMW last Sunday BTW) was in a better position heading into Thursday.  Looks like that gifted 2-shot lead will not matter for Scottie unless he does something. Rahm and reigning champ Rory aren't too far back.  Plus they have 2 days to make magic happen

Tour Championship Top 5 After 54 Holes

01: Hovland (-20)
02: Schauffele (-14)
T3: Morikawa (-13)
T3: Bradley (-13)
T5: Clark (-11)
T5: Scheffler (-11)
T5: Rahm (-11)

Realistically, only Xander and Collin can catch Viktor.  Technically Keegan could as well.  Everyone else will need a lot of help.  Or not; if they do as well as Collin did on Thursday, they'd have a chance if Viktor is off today.  It's doubtful for the title since the 2nd & 3rd place finishers just need to do a little more than enough to prevent such a rally.

Right now Hovland is on fire.  If he plays reasonably the title is his.  He'd win the last two legs of the FedEx Cup and should be the top golfer in terms of rankings.  BTW, Lucas Glover won the first leg, which was a back-to-back between that event and the previous one.

FWIW, I believe if Viktor Hovland can duplicate Collin Morikawa's Thursday performance, that will result in a score under 260 

Edited by Carey
Edited for tags

Before Viktor Hovland won with a 5-shot margin, Xander Schauffele still did make it interesting.  He never caught him but sorta almost did.  Both played very great golf (Xander shooting a 62 & Hovland a 63 for a 261 score).  Fortunately I didn't have to care about many people not tuning in since it wasn't a true major, but still a nice way to cap off the season before the Ryder Cup

• Like 1