Type keyword(s) to search

Camping - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

God help me, but I actually thought this one was kind of funny? I liked what Juliette Lewis and Chris Sullivan were doing anyway. Also, I hadn't realized it was only six episodes, but now that I know that and I see that Busy Phillips is in the next one, I suppose I may as well keep watching it. 

ETA: Wait, it actually is eight episodes like I thought, per reviews and Wikipedia. Well... I guess I've committed. It seems like they're going through the days of this four-day trip pretty quickly, though... 

Edited by Panda Bear
  • Love 1

Are all the characters hate-worthy?

Surely the kid isn't.  Nor Walt.  I don't mind the woman who had her hair cut or Nina Joy.

They are hinting that several of the characters are on the way to self-discovery on this camping trip, like Sol probably coming to terms with her sexual orientation.

Or Carleen learning about pussy power, which may or may not be a good thing.

Even Kathryn might lighten up by the end of all this and give Walter a break.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2018 at 1:07 PM, scrb said:

Are all the characters hate-worthy?

I don't find them hate-worthy, just not funny!   I want to find a funny show so badly and am constantly disappointed.  That whole thing about cookies and what's up with oatmeal cookies was so bad and unoriginal but if it had been actual comedians delivering the lines it might have worked better.  

• Love 1
On 10/17/2018 at 11:16 PM, butterbody said:

Hmmm....

I just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it, and came here to read all the comments from everyone else who thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll take my seat in the back. 

Me too....I really loved it and put it on dvr season pass.  I lol and think Jennifer Garner is great in it.  Such a departure from how we have seen her...also loving Juliette Lewis and all of the guys too.

• Love 1

was jennifer garner any good in anything ever? not to mention her character is one nasty woman with no redeeming qualities. this show is an ensemble of weirdos. lena dunham has an odd outlook on life or whatever. didn't watch her other show either. this show sucks.

• Love 5

Julia Davis, the creator of the UK original version of Camping, has a production deal with HBO.

Now a joint Sky/HBO production from her, called Sally4Ever, is premiering this Sunday (11/11/18) at 10:30 PM EST, right after Camping.

I've requested a new forum for it.

It's strange because I don't recall seeing promos for it yet.

Julia Davis will play one of the key characters in the show, in addition to being the show runner.

No reviews by US critics but it's gotten raves by the UK critics:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/sally4ever/s01

I like Jennifer Garner just fine, but watching Kathryn make an ass of herself every week is just painful and cringe-worthy. I'm not sure why this is supposed to be funny. I have never seen Girls so I know next to nothing about Lena Dunham, or how much different this show is than the British version it's based on. Perhaps it simply doesn't translate well, or else it only appeals to a very specific sense of humor. 

• Love 4

Finally got around to episode 4, this one was actually a bit better in that I did have a laugh when Juliette Lewis' character was like oh well I gave her an Adderall instead of an Ambien because I knew Jen Garner's character would be going nuts. Also I have to admit I did enjoy those other women (Busy Philipps and Nicole Richie) mocking her. I guess it helps because now I don't expect to like anybody.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 5
On 11/5/2018 at 1:42 PM, Cupcake04 said:
On 10/17/2018 at 8:16 PM, butterbody said:

Hmmm....

I just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it, and came here to read all the comments from everyone else who thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll take my seat in the back. 

Me too....I really loved it and put it on dvr season pass.  I lol and think Jennifer Garner is great in it.  Such a departure from how we have seen her...also loving Juliette Lewis and all of the guys too.

Move over, I need a seat on this bench! I checked it out mainly for David Tennant; when I saw Dunham's name in the opening credits I expected it to suck but I think it's brilliant! It's a dark comedy, my absolute favorite kind. Every board for every dark comedy I watch seems to be filled with people saying negative things about the show and I can't help but thinking they just don't get it. I can understand it not being your thing, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean it's bad. I love it, my only complaint is I can't find episode five to watch anywhere; was* the airdate changed or something?

Edited by Daltrey
dyslexic spelling correction
4 hours ago, Daltrey said:

It's a dark comedy, my absolute favorite kind.

I like certain dark comedies. Eating Raoul is one of my favorite movies, and I love Kidding on Showtime. But I like most of the characters in Kidding, and the premise was just so absurd and surreal and laughable in Raoul. I can't say either of those things about Camping. It's just unpleasant.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

I like certain dark comedies. Eating Raoul is one of my favorite movies, and I love Kidding on Showtime. But I like most of the characters in Kidding, and the premise was just so absurd and surreal and laughable in Raoul. I can't say either of those things about Camping. It's just unpleasant.

I can't remember for sure but I don't think I ever saw Eating Raoul; I always meant to, thanks for the reminder! I'll have to see if I can track it down somewhere. I haven't seen it in years but a similar film I enjoyed from 95 was The Last Supper. Also, I would recommend Very Bad Things and Four Rooms. I've only watched the first episode of Kidding, so far....Never been a huge Jim Carey fan...but it's definitely an interesting premise and I plan on finishing it. I finally manged to to see the latest episode of Camping and I have to admit, it was probably my least favorite one so far. I'll be finishing out the season for sure, there are only three more to go and going by the premise/plot, I don't see how it can go more than one season unless each season is a new trip; I could see that wearing very thin, very fast.

On 11/13/2018 at 12:49 AM, Daltrey said:

Move over, I need a seat on this bench! I checked it out mainly for David Tennant; when I saw Dunham's name in the opening credits I expected it to suck but I think it's brilliant! It's a dark comedy, my absolute favorite kind. Every board for every dark comedy I watch seems to be filled with people saying negative things about the show and I can't help but thinking they just don't get it. I can understand it not being your thing, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean it's bad. I love it, my only complaint is I can't find episode five to watch anywhere; was* the airdate changed or something?

I don't see this as dark at all.  

11 hours ago, Lemons said:
On 11/13/2018 at 12:49 AM, Daltrey said:

I don't see it as a comedy. I tried the latest ep, hoping maybe things had picked up a bit. Nope. Still dull people doing boring things. If I want that I'll just go to work. Though, some of the people at work are at least funny.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:
20 hours ago, Lemons said:

I don't see it as a comedy.

Well...I guess we all can't be twisted like me! :P It's ok, I'm used to running in smaller circles. ;)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Daltrey said:

Well...I guess we all can't be twisted like me! :P It's ok, I'm used to running in smaller circles. ;)

Based on thinking this is twisted, I don't know.  This is pretty basic to me.  Easily transferred to NBC or something.  

• Love 2

Of all things for Kathryn and Jandice to bond over, “Tell it to my heart”?

Jandice would loosen Kathryn up if they were friends.  Except for the part about egging her to cheat.

• Love 1

I'm only still watching this because I'm pretty sure this is the worst show ever on television and I have a morbid sense of curiosity. That, and I'm waiting for each and every one of them to come to a bad and painful end. I seriously hope this show is a career-ender for everyone involved with it.

• Love 10

What an eventful camping trip.

Two couples break up, maybe Walter and Kathryn as well.

Of course those guys were tools and Nina Joy and Carlene should have dumped them a long time ago.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, NaughtyKitty said:

I just saw Taylor Dayne in concert last week so I was loving the bonding over the song.  I thought it was a really fun moment.

I enjoy the show.  It is cute and fun and frustrating.  

I would watch Jennifer Garner and Juliette Lewis sparring and dancing together in almost anything. Give them their own show, after this one is over, plz. I loved that Taylor Dayne moment.

I love this show. It's spiky and weird and hilarious and gross.

• Love 1
On 2018-11-26 at 3:55 AM, Armchair Critic said:

The highlight of the series was Walter telling Kathryn to go fuck yourself. I hope he doesn't cave the next day and be a pushover for her again.

Walter should end this trip going home with Carleen.

• Love 5

Hmm so they all more or less go home.  Lot has happened though.

Usually it’s the kids whose lives are changed.  Or am I thinking of camp, not camping?

You wouldn’t think there could be a sequel, even if they wanted to.  Many of these people probably want nothing to do with each other.

• Love 2

I definitely want nothing more to do with them.  I’m trying to find my next favorite quirky show that is uncomfortable but funny, and I keep coming up empty.  The only good thing I can say about this show is that it’s a little less annoying and disgusting than Sally4Ever, but that’s not really a compliment.  

• Love 2

I didn't hate this series but I also didn't find it cohesive at all.  There were some good parts but then they seemed to be ruined by bad parts.  Juliet Lewis was the star of this show even if you didn't like her character.

I thought Katherine unloading on Jandice was quite violent for what started out as a tussle.  

Hard to believe this group will be featured again on an HBO show.

• Love 4

Katherine didn’t even know Walt had sex with Jandice when she waled on her.

no way these characters all socialize with each other again unless they’re masochists.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 3

Welp, I ended up watching all the episodes.

I hope that Carleen dumped Joe after he went to rehab. 

Did they imply that Miguel went down on Joe after Jandice's prodding? I looked away on purpose so I missed that part.

Jandice hooking up with the woman who runs the camp reminded me of Heather Graham's character in the movie Bowfinger in that she went with whoever gave her the best opportunity at the moment.

Hand holding at the end for Katherine and Walt? That surprised me.

Poor Orvis.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 2

I figure the writers were high and/or drunk when writing this show, delighting in making it go nowhere, about really nothing. I hung in there to see if Katherine ever learned anything, but it seems no.

Not one of my favorites. 

• Love 2
On 12/5/2018 at 7:04 AM, nachomama said:

I'm sure I missed it but where was Orvis when Walter admitted to fucking Jandice? I'm like isn't the kid in the back seat? I wanted someone to be redeemable by the end and no one was.

Yes, he was in the back seat. I hope he had gone to sleep.  Another show with no redeeming characters.