Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E41: Winner Chosen

• Start Topic

The winner is crowned in the conclusion of the two-part Season 13 finale. Slated performers include Lady Antebellum, Aloe Blacc, KISS, John Legend, Demi Lovato, Jason Mraz, Jennifer Nettles, Paramore, Phillip Phillips and Darius Rucker.

I haven't even been interested enough to watch this because I don't care who wins, but I did catch JLo's performance.  She sounded so bad, the song was so bad, and she was so desperate-looking in that skimpy getup, that I was actually embarrassed for her.  I'm so sorry she's coming back next year.

• Love 2

I did catch JLo's performance.  She sounded so bad, the song was so bad, and she was so desperate-looking in that skimpy getup, that I was actually embarrassed for her.  I'm so sorry she's coming back next year.

She forgot to put on her costume and went out in her teddy.

(edited)

Seriously?  What was Gena thinking?  Is that a new codpiece for females look?  The upside of her abominable enunciation is that I don't even try anymore to winnow out the actual words, which gives me more time to critique her outfits.  This one, IMO, sucks.  If this is some new trend, someone let me know so I can extend my rant to the wider fashion world.  I have never seen this look before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk4W78GESMg

Edited by observer

My 12 year old son was watching this and grimaced at her costume.  I jokingly told him she is a year older than me, and would he like me to parade around in that getup?  (I was being a little self-deprecating because let's face it, I don't have the same body type....)  I cracked up when he said no one should EVER wear something like that.  Heh.

• Love 2
(edited)

Harry rocking out to Kiss (with their unplugged electric guitars and Gene Simmons (as I see it) disease ridden and proudly displayed tongue) broke my heart.  Now I believe he has drunk the Kool Aid.  Harry, not Gene.

On Adam Lambert's season Gene Simmons tried to discourage him from wearing his club kid high soled boots.  Adam essentially said something about not wanting to be towered over by Kiss in their boots.  Now I see what he was afraid of.  Caleb looked to me so out of place.

Edited by observer
  • Love 1

Ok, who gave Randy a mic?  Who thought that was a good idea?

Ooooo, apparently the same person who thought it was a good idea to let Seacrest sing with Richard Marx.  Woof!

Pretty sure Terry O'Quinn was SUPER excited to be there tonight.  Hope he's getting paid well.

• Love 1

Ryan's voice was made for Radio DJ!  J/K -- as one who doesn't sing for anyone, ever, I admire his courage to put his subpar voice out there.  And hey, Richard Marx!  That was song was really popular my senior year of high school (nostalgia creeping in...).

• Love 1
(edited)

Just realized I was "livebloggin" which is not allowed.  My apologies, Won't do it again.  I think that means we can't blog until the West coast feed is over?  And should I delete my posts?

Edited by observer

I honestly don't know -- live blogging some shows seems to be OK on previously, frowned upon by others.  I haven't figured out what's OK yet.  I'm sure a consistent site-wide policy will be put out there soon enough. I was well trained by TWOP about this, but have had a bit of back-sliding because it's not necessarily consistent here.

At the very least, folks are allowed to post when the show is over, EST, right?

We discourage "liveblogging" in the sense that posts that have no substance besides "OMG!" or "That was crazy!" or what have you are annoying to read over later, but making comments that are substantive are fine during the show.  

(edited)

Okay, say what you want about JLo, *lip syncher*, but at the very least I can understand what she is saying.  And enjoy her absolute drop dead gorgeousness at the same time.  Damn that woman got lucky in the genetic lottery.

Oh, and thanks for the clarification about live blogging, lisin.

Damned if I'm not becoming a Keith Urban fan.  I have a friend who claims he put on the best live show she has ever seen.  Don't know that I would buy his music, but find myself liking the man and his performances.

Edited by observer
  • Love 1

Random thoughts in no particular order:

1. Who was that skanky girl leaping on Caleb when he won?

2. Where was MK?

3. Caleb and Alex's bromance makes me smile

4. Hey, Jen, what's up with the stank face at the end? I mean, we know you were pimping Jena, but at least try and look happy for Caleb

5. SO HAPPY it wasn't Jena. The final winner redeemed the entire season for me.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yay Caleb!! 

I thought it was cute that Ryan sang. That was brave. Love Richard Marx unique voice. Go Ryan. 

When The Judges were Rocking Idol, my 4 year old said, is that a little kid about Jlo. It made me laugh, because Jlo's voice sounded so childish at the beginning of the song. Did not like that at all.

Edited by LadyNardicus

That explains things a bit, Lonesome, otherwise I cannot figure out how his style wins. As rockers go, he doesn't come close to surpassing rockers from the past.  He has absolutely nothing original, so I just don't get it.... However, Jena never did it for me either. 

A lackluster year, because I care more that Caleb's family wins more than Jena's camera-ready Mom.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought for sure Jena would win, but honestly don't care which person won. My AI interest lessens every year,so I didn't even watch a lot of it this season.
 I was just flipping channels between commercials,so I didn't see a lot.  I didn't even watch when Ryan did the reveal, I was in my room but I could hear the tv in the living room(my dad was watching)   Did Jena seem surprised it wasn't her name called?

Instead of watching the finale, I watched The Purge. I thought it was fitting. 

Heh. BTW- that was an ok movie,interesting idea though. I think there's going to be a sequel right? Oh brother.

Edited by Valny

I'm not convinced that was JLo's voice on "True Colors."  If it was, there was vocoder or some other electronics going on.  And it was not live.  I doubt anything she "sang" was live.   Jumping around in that dress, she looked like a Toddlers and Tiaras reject.  I guess she's trying to go for Tina Turner's/Cher's longevity, but somehow, whatever she's doing ain't working.  

• Love 4

Mildly disappointed that Jena didn't win, but Caleb is clearly liked by the other contestants, and does have a great (loud) voice. Maybe he's learned a lesson from 'R*****-gate', and will think before he speaks (not that he'll get much media attention, but whatever).

I can't even remember the names of those 2 girls who got the boot first, but man, they sounded terrible.

That was a fun show- not bad, Per Blankens. Loved the Alex/Mraz duet, the Jena/Paramore performance, and -sue me- the Judge Band.  Could KISS be any creepier, though?

Well thank you America. For once I'm glad that I was wrong about JENA winning. I couldn't be bothered to watch the final two performances, but threw Caleb a few votes. ABJ! Tonight's finale was boring to say the least. Only cared for a couple of performances, but on the most part tonight's performances looked like a first run through/practice. 

They were roommates through the entire run of the show. Alex actually introduced Caleb to Alex and Sierra (winners of the XFUS) and he became friends with them as well. 

Random thoughts in no particular order:

1. Who was that skanky girl leaping on Caleb when he won?

2. Where was MK?

4. Hey, Jen, what's up with the stank face at the end? I mean, we know you were pimping Jena, but at least try and look happy for Caleb

5. SO HAPPY it wasn't Jena. The final winner redeemed the entire season for me.

1. Kristen O'Connor, 13th place finisher

2. She tweeted she was too ill to make the finale

• Love 1

As the vaunted Charlie Daniels says, "...the South's gonna do it again.  And again."

Yep! Every time I kept reading the Jeeeeeeena fans stating that she would win, I laughed. You do not underestimate the Southern vote on this show. Even if the contestant came out of a time machine from 1974, as long as he's from below the Mason-Dixon line, he or she has got it made..

• Love 1
(edited)

Random musings.......

Ryan singing? So bad, it was embarrassing.

JLo singing? Ditto. Maybe worse.

Richard Marx? Really? Does he need the money for his divorce? And why is his head so over-sized?

Alex w/ Jason Mraz? Surprisingly good.

P2?.....higher than a friggin' kite. 

All the filler? Unnecessary.

HCJr's out-dated and out-of-season velveteen jacket? Hilarious.

Caleb's non-McMansion (per the home visits) family? Awesome.

Malaya without the braces? Gorgeous. But still Sue Heck to the core.

Other people on stage? Who are they?

JENA not winning? Priceless.

Caleb at the end? Awwwww......

JENA's pants? Thought she forgot her maxi-pad.

Edited by drafan

Yay Caleb! My favorite from the season (after Sam started going downhill) He may not re-arrange songs ever but he's got one killer voice. I think people forget he is only 23. It takes some people YEARS to be able to sing that good. He is only 23 and already can sing like a pro. Imagine how good he will be 5 or even 10 years from now. I doubt his album will be ready by August but whenever it is ready, I will for sure go out and buy myself a copy. I really hope Interscope can find something to do with him. If not, hopefully Caleb will be offered a role in a rock opera or something. I'm so glad he won. He totally deserves it after auditioning 3 times and being the most consistent performer all season long. America got it right. Finally, after 13 seasons, a true hard rocker has won! Lucky 13 wins Season 13!

The Wrecking Ball duet between Jennifer Nettles and Jessica was random. They sounded good but I'm really confused as to why they were given that song.

Aloe Blacc sounded good.

I would much rather watch JLo dance than sing. And yeah her outfit was bordering on completely inappropriate for Idol.

As much as I'm not really a Paramore fan and their duet made it painfully obvious how much Jena copycats Haley Williams, I love "Ain't It Fun" and the performance was really entertaining and fun to watch.

Keith rocked that guitar solo.

Yikes that Lady Antebellum song was pretty much crap. Yawn

Malaya looked amazing without her glasses and braces

It's too bad MK couldn't make it

Alex/Jason duet sounded good but boring

I didn't care much for all the guest performers because I'm not particularly a fan of any of them but overall I think this finale was enjoyable, nonetheless. So so happy for Caleb!

Not quite sure how I feel about Caleb winning. He was definitely my favorite in the context of watching people on TV cover well-known songs, but I think Jena would be a more relevant artist.

If nothing else, I was very entertained by Harry's awesomely dorky dancing. I literally laughed out loud every time they panned to him swaying and snapping his fingers during some rock song.

Happy for Caleb.

I was watching jenas's mom during the split screen announcement. She looked quite shocked. The brother? Didn't seem to be hiding his disappointment. I'm sure she'll do fine.

Wow! I missed that! Jeeena's stage mom was upset? She should call Lauren Alaina's mother and David Archuleta's dad for consoling.

(edited)

I just went to download Caleb's single. I think that's the first time ever that I've actually downloaded a coronation single.

Fun fact: It was once pitched to Kelly Clarkson. I wonder if maybe more people knew that, they would rethink calling it "outdated" and too reminiscent of the '80s.

Edited by BogoGog24

I'm one very happy old crying r***** lady right now. I'm from a "neutral" state but I voted my fingers off for Caleb ever since Skyfall week. I will buy his album. I'm seriously bummed I cannot buy his coronation song yet because Google Play and Amazon do not have it. I'm assuming it's because the song will be on the album, which is an itunes exclusive. :/

• Love 2

This was a drag to watch, and it was not only that I had no interest in who won. In some of the past final results shows with the all-star guests, there have been surprises. You would see someone who had been eliminated long before the finale and think, "Wow, that person is much better than I remembered/suspected." I remember Paige Miles, who had had some awful performances in competition, just killing a Christina Aguilera song, and maybe it was the first time I had heard her healthy and with appropriate material. I remember Michael Johns and Carly Smithson in a duet a couple seasons before that, seeming good enough to be the final two themselves. Here, there was none of that. Emily Piriz has a nice voice, and she came out of the all-female number the best, but it wasn't much of a showcase.   

Also, I didn't think any of the Idols met the pros on level ground, as has happened sometimes in the past. There was nothing electric like Crystal Bowersox and Alanis Morissette stalking each other around the stage and trading tough-girl attitude. All of those numbers felt like charitable acts. John Legend himself was smooth as silk, probably the best guest performer of the night, but poor Malaya needed that key to come down at least a whole step.  

https://twitter.com/carrieunderwood/status/469302537758474240

Carrie Underwood        ✔ @carrieunderwood
Follow
People hating on me 'cause I spoiled the ending of AI = dumdums who should stay off their twitter until after they watch the show... :)
9:23 PM - 21 May 2014

LOL Carrie 

I'm assuming IDF is having some sort of meltdown right about now. Slezak too, but internally since he still has to interview the final three contestants. 

I wish Ryan had announced the vote totals or if the vote was even close. Well glad this season is over. Guess I'll get ready to have some overwrought contemporary dancer shoved down my throat with SYTYCD. 

I'm one very happy old crying r***** lady right now. I'm from a "neutral" state but I voted my fingers off for Caleb ever since Skyfall week. I will buy his album. I'm seriously bummed I cannot buy his coronation song yet because Google Play and Amazon do not have it. I'm assuming it's because the song will be on the album, which is an itunes exclusive. :/

But you could just download it on iTunes.

Well, I enjoyed parts of the finale celebration show but I think the two medleys with the boys and girls gotta go.  They sounded bad and a couple of girls that I barely remember were parading around trying to get noticed which made me laugh.  The Idol Band with the judges and Randy was actually kind of fun and different.  I am glad Caleb won over Jena but neither were my favourite at all.  I was so happy for Caleb's family.  Jena's stage mama looked like she was having a nightmare when the winner was announced but recovered nicely.  Imagine the insurance for Jena to drive that Mustang though ouch!

Why did JLO perform again?  Maybe she saw the tweets about I luh ya papi being so bad, she thought she would try to do a Beyonce night.

I wonder if MK wasn't there because Malaya got to do her song with John Legend?  

• Love 1

Oh my.    So many highlights.

JLo's hair dancing ---she still looks good but she's starting to dance like she's 40.   The hair tosses give you a chance to catch your breath.

Ryan, your mother and Randy betrayed you.   I'd write them out of the will.   You are a really good host of a live singing show.   Never let them get you to sing again.   Major props for giving it a shot, but play to your strength from now on.

So many of the early returnees I have no memory of at all.

Sam got better after he got voted off.     

I can't believe how much Philip Phillips has grown --I know he was sick and in pain during his season, but he has  really learned how to put on a show.   Good for him.

Malaya got a make-over.  I seriously didn't recognize her and she didn't scream --John Legend probably wouldn't have any of that.

Kiss?  Seriously?   Sprinkles and Caleb looked like little elves without the big booties.

Judges & Randy.   It's really interesting when JLo is the best singer in a number like that.    At some point they seemed to give up on the singing part and just do it as an instrumental number and Keith was awesome.

Jena and her mom looked honestly surprised.    I forget sometimes how young she really is.

(edited)

I paused just enough to listen to a snippet of each song & only listened to Jason/Alex & some of the Judges Three, mainly to see Keith & HCJ play. It goes so much quicker & more pleasantly that way.

My takeaway for the night is that it's obvious that JLo surrounds herself with sycophants & yes men because someone should tell her no repeatedly. No to wearing lingerie on stage, no to dancing like you did 15 years ago in said lingerie, no to wearing your daughter's tutu sewn onto more lingerie. I felt such secondhand embarrassment for her it was creepily uncomfortable.

As for the winner? Don't. Care. I didn't like either & won't buy anything from either. I can't put my finger on the exact reason, but tonight felt desperate. I think it was the conglomeration of the whole. There just seemed to be a tinge of desperation all around the edges.

ETA: Fixed pasta error

Edited by ramble
  • Love 3