Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Pre-Washed Lettuce and a Mime

paulvdb

I enjoyed it. As a lawyer who went to a law school that was the opposite of Christy’s, I appreciated the story line. I always said I wouldn’t have made it through law school if the environment was a “thin the herd” type one. Luckily my law school was very supportive of its students and wanted us to succeed. But schools like the one Christy is attending definitely exist. I hope she can make it. I liked the parallel to the new member at the end as well. 

• Love 4

Yay! My fave show is back! Christy can do it, I hope the season isn't filled with her self doubt. I see Christy is finally trying to grow those bangs out! Not that I have a problem with bangs, I had em' for years, I just always thought it cute that Bonnie made fun of them. Speaking of Bonnie, please get her married already. They are dragging this wedding out. I love the AA friends, glad they are all back, too. 

• Love 7

I just love Anna Farris. She is so damn adorable and she has the best facial expressions. I loved when the teacher told everyone to look around because someone wouldn't be there by the end of the semester, and everyone looked at Christy. Her facial reaction to that was priceless, as was her reaction to being forced to read while everyone was watching her. 

I'm pretty sure that the teacher's instructions to "look to your left and your right because someone won't be here" was lifted from some movie though. Maybe Legally Blonde? It seemed really familiar.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Yay! My fave show is back! Christy can do it, I hope the season isn't filled with her self doubt. 

However, there is an elephant in the room that they haven't addressed: Will Christy's past keep her from becoming a lawyer? My mother went to law school with a guy who did well in school, completed all the requirements, but was never allowed to take the bar exam because the State Bar & Grill thought there was something too unethical in his background.

• Love 3

This is television.

That is never going to be an issue, and if it is, it will only be for a "very special episode" and Christy will (WILL!) triumph in the end. She will be allowed to sit for the bar after the impassioned speech she/her mom/the AA ladies give.

Probably don't get to give impassioned speeches in real life huh?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm pretty sure that the teacher's instructions to "look to your left and your right because someone won't be here" was lifted from some movie though. Maybe Legally Blonde? It seemed really familiar.

I'm pretty sure it was in The Paper Chase, but probably others as well.

• Love 6

I actually had a professor in law school give us that speech.  They also told us at orientation that 25% of the class was admitted by accident and shouldn't be there but wouldn't tell us who. I always assumed I was one of the 25%. lol I only watch this show intermittently but I love all of the actors. 

4 hours ago, eel2178 said:

However, there is an elephant in the room that they haven't addressed: Will Christy's past keep her from becoming a lawyer? My mother went to law school with a guy who did well in school, completed all the requirements, but was never allowed to take the bar exam because the State Bar & Grill thought there was something too unethical in his background.

It's California. Orly Taitz is a lawyer.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That speech has been around since at least the 1970's, most infamously in law schools. My college (not law school though) said it almost 30 years ago, but just to point out they don't want it to come true at their school.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3

Yeah, some variation is probably said in every movie about law school, because it's a total law school cliché.  Whether a professor actually says it or not, the basic sentiment is true.  It's not for everyone, and a number of those who had the GPA, LSAT score, etc. to get in turn out not to be cut out for it, or just not a good fit (if nothing else, the Socratic method of teaching/learning really throws some people), and you'll never see them again after winter break as a 1L.  It's best for everyone, not least of all the student, to figure that out after only a semester.

The big thing for Christy - as it is for many - will be keeping on top of the material, because your final exam is 100% of your grade.  There aren't papers, midterms, etc. to balance it out -- if you get behind, can't catch up, and hope to memorize someone else's outline and cross your fingers, well, hope for fact patterns that happen to implicate the things you retained.  With her life, that's going to be particularly hard, even assuming she's doing the part-time route at a traditional school (which only stretches three years out over four).

I was so focused on the Murphy Brown revival premiering last night, I forgot Mom did, too, and only saw part of it.  Plus, there's football.  So I'll probably catch most of this in syndication.  TV never gets law school right much beyond (sometimes) citing cases that actually get discussed first year, so I'll grumble a lot.  But I love the characters.

• Love 1

Happy to see William Fichtner in the opening credits, as I'm an unabashed Adam fan. Echoing the love for the new opening scenes too.

The wedding subplot was interesting to me because I had the exact opposite experience - Mr. Gothish (aka Groomzilla) wanted to be involved nearly every step of the way in our wedding planning and wielded his veto power like Excalibur. But it was all good because in exchange I got the honeymoon of my dreams. :D 

Also echoing the sentiment that I'm happy to have this very funny and somewhat underrated show back!

• Love 7

Glad the show is back - and yay for new opening credits. Solid season opener. I loved Wendy's 'Every night is just an eight-hour preview of death.' and the deadpan reaction the line caused. Also golden: the epic eyeroll between Jill and Marjorie when Bonnie referred to herself as 49 year old. That ensemble is such a well-oiled machine!

My favorite scene though was Adam scaring off Bonnie with his mime-miming.

• Love 12

eel2178: That doesn't particularly worry me because there are things you can do with a law degree to help people even if you can't act as their lawyer personally. You can teach, you can advise, you can work for non-profits on policy and improving legislation.

• Love 1
On 9/28/2018 at 7:53 PM, 60sgirl said:

That instructor was a jerk for humiliating Christy like that in front of the class.

Nope. I disagree. It's law school, not kindergarten. I groaned as soon as Christy started making lame excuses as to why she didn't do the reading. If she can't hack it, then she needs to quit now. 

• Love 9

I think I missed something. I thought Christy was rejected from every law school she applied to. A line about how they had to go through the entire wait list before they even got to her would have been good, or just any explanation would have been nice. I don't like the new credits. I am looking forward to a season of wedding planning, and then having the wedding go horribly wrong. 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, iMonrey said:

It was also on the Cosby show.  I think it was when Theo went to college (or maybe one of the other kids, but I still think Theo).

• Love 1

Echoing the love for the new opening scenes too.

They've been pushing the ensemble element of the show for a couple of seasons now with opening credits that include Marjorie, Wendy and Jill. But the reality is that all three are still supporting characters that rarely have more than one scene and a couple of lines each, except for the rare episodes that focus on one of them. I wonder how the actresses feel showing up week after week, thumbing through the script and counting the number of lines they have that week on one hand.

Not that I necessarily mind the current format which focuses on Bonnie and Christie. It just seems odd that the show is packaged, more or less, as an ensemble with five character when it's really not.

• Love 1
On 10/1/2018 at 4:48 PM, iMonrey said:

I wonder how the actresses feel showing up week after week, thumbing through the script and counting the number of lines they have that week on one hand.

I'm $ure they mu$t find way$ of being $ati$fied with the $ize of their role$.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 18
On 9/30/2018 at 11:25 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I think I missed something. I thought Christy was rejected from every law school she applied to. A line about how they had to go through the entire wait list before they even got to her would have been good, or just any explanation would have been nice. I don't like the new credits. I am looking forward to a season of wedding planning, and then having the wedding go horribly wrong. 

At the end of last season I'm pretty sure she got a letter from a school that waitlisted her, notifying her that a spot had opened up, and she was accepted.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

At the end of last season I'm pretty sure she got a letter from a school that waitlisted her, notifying her that a spot had opened up, and she was accepted.

Yeah, it was something like that.  I'd have rather seen her not make it, and find another way for her to work with the law, but not have to be a lawyer.  At her age, that would be more realistic, as she'll likely never make enough as an attorney to pay off her student loans.  She could be a law clerk, or paralegal, or legal consultant instead.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Yeah, it was something like that.  I'd have rather seen her not make it, and find another way for her to work with the law, but not have to be a lawyer.  At her age, that would be more realistic, as she'll likely never make enough as an attorney to pay off her student loans.  She could be a law clerk, or paralegal, or legal consultant instead.

And why a lawyer? It's like that's the only job scriptwriters think people over 40 go back to school for. Why not a graphic designer or a social worker or patient care advocate? 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

And why a lawyer? It's like that's the only job scriptwriters think people over 40 go back to school for. Why not a graphic designer or a social worker or patient care advocate? 

When my husband was out of work, he interviewed for a job at a local rehab.  He's in AA, and they said they like to hire people who have a decent amount of sobriety in to work there and also people in companion programs like Al-Anon, because they understand.  He wasn't officially offered the job - he had to submit to all kinds of clearances, etc, and the job itself had a fair amount of downsides, but Christy could really be a help with people in recovery on a professional basis, and it would also help her in her recovery.  That part of the job appealed to my husband, and I know someone in my Al-Anon group who works there.  I wondered that if she were an attorney, could she either prosecute or defend a drunk driver, for example, on a personal moral basis?

• Love 1

The case she hadn't read was Pierson v Post, so she was in Property Law.  Which at least is a 1L course, so they're already doing better than a lot of shows/movies that deal with law school.  Usually they jump ahead (understandable from a dramatic perspective - watching someone read and brief isn't exactly riveting television).  If this show follows suit, Christy will be preparing a mock trial by November.

I wonder if they're going to bother re-dressing the classroom set to show her in different classes, or if it will always be that one classroom.  Of course, I don't know how much of her in class we'll see going forward; we may just hear her talking about school in a general, "I'm so stressed out!" way.

• Love 3
On 10/2/2018 at 5:50 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, dumb question, but what was the "pre-washed lettuce" reference from the episode title?  I must have missed that.  Was that something they sold at the dream Trader Joe's?

I missed that reference too!

On 9/30/2018 at 10:03 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Nope. I disagree. It's law school, not kindergarten. I groaned as soon as Christy started making lame excuses as to why she didn't do the reading. If she can't hack it, then she needs to quit now. 

A professor who walks in to class on the first day and implies that some of the students don't deserve to be there, before any of them have done or said anything, is a bully and nothing else. Even in law school. 

That said, Christy's whining about how the other students don't have to deal with what she has to deal with was grating. Honey, you knew what your situation was before you started law school. Deal with it, and be more responsible.

• Love 3
On 10/7/2018 at 11:52 AM, Gothish520 said:

Okay, dumb question, but what was the "pre-washed lettuce" reference from the episode title?  I must have missed that.  Was that something they sold at the dream Trader Joe's?

Yes - Bonnie told Adam that in her dream, he and the woman from Trader Joes were going at it like bunnies on the pre-washed lettuce at Trader Joe's.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5