Type keyword(s) to search

Something Unexpected: Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

I dont care at all about Lexus.

Me neither.  The last thing I want to watch is some teenager talk about whether she likes boys or girls.

Diego and Emilee, man that was a sad night. The house was her mom 's ? Sparsely furnished, the 3 of them sleeping (barely) on a daybed in the living room.

Oh, gosh.  I was thinking it was some hovel that Diego and Emiley had moved into, and the show had somehow not mentioned it.  And I thought, "See?  That's what you'll be living in as a teen parent." 

Are they filming Emiley's THs in Diego's parents' house?  The one they were staying in that night sure doesn't look like it has a white-banistered staircase in it.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

I hate Cloe's underbite. It looks terrible and unhealthy. 

LOL terrible and unhealthy. That's how I feel about Emilee's mother's (Karen??) grody, crooked, brown bottom teeth. Like a cesspool of placque and bacteria. OMG it bothers me so much.  And how her neck is always craned into an awkward and unnatural position when she speaks.

• Love 12
On 9/24/2018 at 1:44 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Both of those options, as a 16 yr old, would be highly unappealing to me.

I think one has to be a 16-year-old TODAY and be obsessed with all the Teen Mom programs on TV.   There are plenty.

24 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The last thing I want to watch is some teenager talk about whether she likes boys or girls.

I'm happy to hear any teenager talk about confusion over sexuality--or just sexuality...(or just be willing to talk to adults) just not the smart aleck, manipulative, spoiled, selfish Lexus.  She's both uneducated AND ignorant.

• Love 8
On 9/17/2018 at 12:15 PM, Marisagf said:

Chloe's teeth are so jacked I can’t even look at her!

Her teeth aren't that bad...it's her JAW.   Because too much time has passed, braces won't do the job.  She'll require extensive surgery...followed by braces.

On 9/20/2018 at 2:22 AM, kit.kat343 said:

He reminds me of our neighbor's kid.  The parents are nuts, and he seems to spend his time playing soccer by himself outside on the street.  My first instinct was to try to help him and be kind to him (he's only 9 years old) but then one day he rang our doorbell and asked if he could play with my oldest child.  I told him sure, but my younger one was napping and they couldn't play in our house.  They could play in our backyard, his backyard or his house.    They left and were back 20 minutes later, making noise in the living room near my sleeping younger child.  I went downstairs and reminded them that they needed to play outside.  The neighbor kid looked me straight in the eye and said, "oh, no, we can play inside because we're not being that loud."  I didn't want to embarrass my son, and it was close to nap time ending so I let them stay.  But the next few times this kid showed up I told him he absolutely couldn't come inside, and wasn't particularly kind about kicking him out (because otherwise he'd keep coming back and I have no patience for a kid who disrespects me in my own house).  And I explained to my son the reason he was being thrown out was that he didn't respect my rules, and I wasn't going to tolerate that in my house.  

Sadly, there's one of these "lonely kids" in almost every neighborhood.  I'm patient, so I was able to handle the kid in our neighborhood.  He was even one of my Cub Scouts...who showed up an hour early EVERY TIME!  His parents and his sisters seemed lovely.  The boy probably needed professional help.  He did end up going down a bad road.   The next couple of years won't be easy on Chloe.  Her mother is TOO CONTROLLING, but she seems able to handle the many problems that will come with Max.

• Love 4

I had this fantasy where a doctor sending a teen home after her first birth would say: "I want to make sure you understand your family planning options. A lot of young moms use an IUD; it would be no cost to you under Medicaid, and we could insert it today before you go home. Do you have a few minutes to talk about your choices?"

But I don't live in Bumblefuck, Oklahoma.

• Love 13
21 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I'm not a monster texter either but I seriously shake my head when people who live in the same house communicate over Facebook or text in the case of Jennifer and Chloe. Bizarre. I have friends who are married and one of them will post to their own page and tag their spouse, "We need to make this at home!" about some recipe. How about picking your head up and saying it to the person who is probably close by? Or there's always the other truly bizarre, "Happy Birthday, Johnny, I can't believe you're a teenager already. I love you!" and the kid isn't on Facebook.  

This drives me SO crazy!  And I refuse to comment on those posts.

Did anyone else notice how Chloe's mom made sure her makeup and hair was done for the bowling lunch date? 

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Her teeth aren't that bad...it's her JAW.   Because too much time has passed, braces won't do the job.  She'll require extensive surgery...followed by braces.

Sadly, there's one of these "lonely kids" in almost every neighborhood.  I'm patient, so I was able to handle the kid in our neighborhood.  He was even one of my Cub Scouts...who showed up an hour early EVERY TIME!  His parents and his sisters seemed lovely.  The boy probably needed professional help.  He did end up going down a bad road.   The next couple of years won't be easy on Chloe.  Her mother is TOO CONTROLLING, but she seems able to handle the many problems that will come with Max.

My friend is friends with a family who have a kid that one might call the lonely kid.  He's desperately looking for attention from anyone and he latches onto people quickly.  I met him last year and my friend warned me - he will ask you a lot of questions, it's ok to tell him to leave you alone. But after spending a couple days with this kid I just felt awful for him.  He has two younger siblings that are very special needs but mobile, one is his brother and the brother would pick on him, try to hurt him and his parents did nothing but try to yell at the brother and this poor kid would get SO upset and I'm sure he deals with it on a daily basis and just doesn't get the love and affection he needs.  And I saw pure rage and hurt in this kid that probably won't have good results when he's older and bigger. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, eatsleep said:

That's how I feel about Emilee's mother's (Karen??) grody, crooked, brown bottom teeth. Like a cesspool of placque and bacteria.

She was on the screen as my adult son walked through the room.  I paused-started her scene and asked, "What do you notice about this woman?"   Answer: her bottom teeth.

10 hours ago, gunderda said:

Did anyone else notice how Chloe's mom made sure her makeup and hair was done for the bowling lunch date? 

Did anyone notice she was flipping her hair when she was talking to Max's dad (and many previous times)?  She's the beautiful STAR of this show and she's letting us know it.

Edited by Former Nun
BOLDED Eatsleep's use of the perfect word: grody
  • Love 8
On 9/11/2018 at 11:02 PM, Soup333 said:

This is just too much. Why didn’t she get some long term birth control IMMEDIATELY after giving birth to Timmy? It’s unfair to do this to her grandparents.

Getting pregnant (again) while one of these teen moms is on the show should be IMMEDIATE grounds for canceling all future appearances and payments for the entire family.   Showcasing the ignorant teenagers (and some of their parents) is criminal.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Did anyone notice she was flipping her hair when she was talking to Max's dad (and many previous times)?  She's the beautiful STAR of this show and she's letting us know it.

She's definitely enjoying her screen time.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

She was on the screen as my adult son walked through the room.  I paused-started her scene and asked, "What do you notice about this woman?"   Answer: her bottom teeth.

She thought Max's dad wouldn't call her on her shit if she played cute. No bitch, we read your shitty ass text messages.

• Love 10

That doctor was indeed creepy. But his comment about the nurses reminded me of my time as a phlebotomist at the local hospital. My shift started at 5am for those fun early blood draws every patient loves. One morning I had the post-partum floor and I interrupted a teen couple getting it on. And yes, the female half of that couple was the one who'd just given birth the day before. So it does happen! Not that it excuses that doctor in the least. 

I'm ready for everything Lexus to be left on the cutting room floor. I just do not care! And I find it wildly inappropriate that we're still hearing all about the girl she was with. Not that same sex relationships are happening, but every little thing about what she's doing now, and all this imagined drama that may happen at the prom. This other girl is not in her life. Why keep talking about her and referring to her by name? Leave it be and move the frick on, or save it for when the cameras are off and respect the privacy of a teenager. 

These people are all ridiculous and I have no idea why I'm still watching this mess. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

No bitch, we read your shitty ass text messages.

That type of message will NEVER be forgotten.  The people involved will talk about it and her long after she's out of the picture.   Say it, forget it; write it, regret it.  (Judge Milian, People's Court)

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

She thought Max's dad wouldn't call her on her shit if she played cute

Good one, Brooklynista!  I think she was never cute and is trying to convince herself and everyone else (including us) that she is now.   Also, that she has the perfect life, perfect children, perfect home, perfect family outings/events/parties, etc.  Her controlling personality is way too much; she's lucky she snagged another husband who appears to have a strong ego and doesn't let it bother him.   

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Good one, Brooklynista!  I think she was never cute and is trying to convince herself and everyone else (including us) that she is now.   Also, that she has the perfect life, perfect children, perfect home, perfect family outings/events/parties, etc.  Her controlling personality is way too much; she's lucky she snagged another husband who appears to have a strong ego and doesn't let it bother him.   

She's always saying, "If they do this, I'll take it personal(ly). If they do that, I'll take it personal(ly)." Yet anything she does, no one is supposed to take personally.

• Love 13
On 9/24/2018 at 9:45 PM, Chris Knight said:

Diego and Emilee, man that was a sad night. The house was her mom 's ? Sparsely furnished, the 3 of them sleeping (barely) on a daybed in the living room. And Dr. Goldchain is creepy for sure. 6 weeks is always what I heard as standard wait time.

My daughter is convinced that Emilee's mother is controlling but I haven't seen it yet. Definitely not in the same way as Jessica is with Chloe. But in the previews, Emilee and her mother were arguing and mom was upset because Emilee had some special moment with Diego's mother? I was wondering if maybe mom doesn't have a lot of money. She wears scrubs but maybe she's an STNA or works in some other position that doesn't pay well. Diego's parents might have two incomes and they seem (at least the dad) to have the time to support her at sporting events. Maybe her mother works too many hours or her shift schedule conflicts with Emilee's sports and Emilee feels they are there for her more than her mom? Also, Diego might be less of an insufferable ass if she's at his parents house with the baby as opposed to being at home with her mother - this seems unlikely, but even if he's still being a butt to her, Emilee would have his parents to help with the baby.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

But in the previews, Emilee and her mother were arguing and mom was upset because Emilee had some special moment with Diego's mother? I was wondering if maybe mom doesn't have a lot of money. She wears scrubs but maybe she's an STNA or works in some other position that doesn't pay well. Diego's parents might have two incomes and they seem (at least the dad) to have the time to support her at sporting events. Maybe her mother works too many hours or her shift schedule conflicts with Emilee's sports and Emilee feels they are there for her more than her mom?

I thought in the previews Emilee's mom seemed very hurt, not jealous or petty, but genuinely hurt, about her daughter's involvement with (I guess it was) Diego's mom. It does seem like her mom is struggling a bit & perhaps Emilee has attached herself to Deigo & his family. Wasn't her mom a teen mom herself? Emilee's mom (can't remember her name!) also spoke of her crappy ex, so she's probably seeing what this could come to for her daughter but can't stop the train. Her daughter seemed to be doing well in school, extracurricular activities, & on a good road - before Diego. And now the girl has his kid & becoming part of a possibly bad family dynamic over there. I feel for her mom greatly.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I thought in the previews Emilee's mom seemed very hurt, not jealous or petty, but genuinely hurt, about her daughter's involvement with (I guess it was) Diego's mom. It does seem like her mom is struggling a bit & perhaps Emilee has attached herself to Deigo & his family. Wasn't her mom a teen mom herself? Emilee's mom (can't remember her name!) also spoke of her crappy ex, so she's probably seeing what this could come to for her daughter but can't stop the train. Her daughter seemed to be doing well in school, extracurricular activities, & on a good road - before Diego. And now the girl has his kid & becoming part of a possibly bad family dynamic over there. I feel for her mom greatly.

I agree that she (is her name Bridget?) seemed genuinely upset and not in a "I'm gonna take that personally" fake kind of way. Emilee was upset about it too and kept apologizing. I was trying to figure out what "special moment" could have happened in the baby's first days/weeks of life that would be that significant, but maybe mom is upset by a lot of things concerning Emilee's relationship with this family and it just boiled over. I sympathize with her too and at least she did try and let her daughter know she had more options with this pregnancy than keeping the baby.

13 minutes ago, Marisagf said:

I thought Emilee's mom was upset over Emilee's moment with HER mother. (Emilee's grandmother)  I could be wrong.  I'd have to see the promo again.

Me too. Because that's a possibility. I just assumed it was Diego's mom.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Plus, Emilee makes some comment, in regards to Diego's mother (family?) about her/it being "easy."  Well, of course it's easy for them to be all supportive of her and Diego and not critical.  Most of the burden of providing and caring for Emilee and the baby are on Bridget.  Bridget has probably been through a lot and done a lot for Emilee and her child and it might be a slap in the face for Emilee to be avoiding her and their family in favor of Diego, who doesn't seem to be providing all that much.

It's really irksome how these girls seem to have no consideration for the additional burden they are putting on their parents.  Especially the ones with single parents.  

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, KBrownie said:

It's really irksome how these girls seem to have no consideration for the additional burden they are putting on their parents.  Especially the ones with single parents.  

Some of those burdens will be impossible financially; they are barely getting by.   And what about a certain favorite who will "gift" her grandparents with a SECOND burden--third, if we count her?

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Former Nun said:

To me it seems her husband is badly P whipped and cannot stop staring and drooling at her. He wouldn't be a bad looking guy if he would hit the gym occasionally. I don't think I've ever seen such a ....flaccid and saggy man (imagined perma boner notwithstanding).

17 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Strange bc the way most mouths are set up, we rarely even see ppl's bottom teeth. Just hers and Jesse Jackson's, I guess.

10 hours ago, Former Nun said:

She needs to complete this perfect, beautiful picture and get Chloe some braces and headgear before she chews her own nose off. Chloe would really be lovelyl!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Soup333 said:

My daughter is convinced that Emilee's mother is controlling but I haven't seen it yet. Definitely not in the same way as Jessica is with Chloe. But in the previews, Emilee and her mother were arguing and mom was upset because Emilee had some special moment with Diego's mother?

I was 20 seconds from falling asleep by that time, but Emilee's mother's blow-up reminded me of Shannon. It came off very emotionally manipulative. I'm looking forward to seeing the entire thing. 

3 hours ago, Marisagf said:

I thought Emilee's mom was upset over Emilee's moment with HER mother. (Emilee's grandmother)  I could be wrong.  I'd have to see the promo again.

I thought it was Emilee's grandmother too. Didn't Emilee say something about grandma raising her in the early episodes?

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I thought it was Emilee's grandmother too. Didn't Emilee say something about grandma raising her in the early episodes?

Ah; that would be better than Diego's mother.  I imagine Emiliee's mom had to work a lot so maybe she did spend much more time with her grandmother. I'm sure it was necessary but still tough on her mom given the grandmother may have developed a closer bond with Emilee.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, eatsleep said:

She needs to complete this perfect, beautiful picture and get Chloe some braces and headgear before she chews her own nose off.

It's years too late for braces/headgear.  Sadly, more drastic and expensive measures are required (long and painful process).  Maybe that's where some of the TLC income should be spent.

• Love 2
On 9/25/2018 at 3:41 PM, gunderda said:

This drives me SO crazy!  And I refuse to comment on those posts.

I may be wrong, but I got the impression that maybe they were coming from church.  I could see bowling after the early service, especially if they were accommodating Todd’s schedule. 

I appreciate that she did something with herself unlike Shayden who shot his first season TH’s in joggers. 

On 9/25/2018 at 7:18 PM, gonecrackers said:

She's definitely enjoying her screen time.

She’s also immature and mentally still 19.  

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 1

I can't believe it, but all of them are idiots. I see nothing redeemable in any of these young (or older) parents. Those poor little innocent lives brought into this mess. It's like they weren't even given a fighting chance.

• Love 7
On 9/26/2018 at 8:54 AM, Soup333 said:

I agree that she (is her name Bridget?) seemed genuinely upset and not in a "I'm gonna take that personally" fake kind of way. Emilee was upset about it too and kept apologizing.

I feel bad for Bridget because Diego Dumbass has intentionally set her up to be HATED by him for what he thinks is a "good reason". After all, Bridget told her daughter that abortion was an option. He is riding this hate-on all the way and loving it. I do not believe for one minute Diego is that outraged that his 'girlfriend' was told by her mother that she had options. This is the same kid who treats the entire situation like it's a big joke. What the hell is wrong with Emilee? There is no loyalty between any of these couples, and I get it. They're just little kids playing dress up.

• Love 12
On 9/11/2018 at 10:02 PM, Soup333 said:

This is just too much. Why didn’t she get some long term birth control IMMEDIATELY after giving birth to Timmy? It’s unfair to do this to her grandparents. It’s unfair to do it to Timmy (I’m sure Shannon will think it’s unfair to her too since she’ll get even less attention). Let me pray for her grandparents because at this rate they’ll never have an empty nest even if they might want one. Wonder what Shelly will have to say about this. 

At times I feel I should be looking over my shoulder while watching this show. Why aren't we viewers being arrested for abusing a group of mentally unstable (and academically slow) kids and adults for our own amusement? Furthermore, we are rewarding them for bringing innocent lives into their world under the guise of family entertainment. I don't know people... we're either going to be arrested or we're going to hell. lol

images-1.jpg

On 9/25/2018 at 12:43 PM, eatsleep said:

LOL terrible and unhealthy. That's how I feel about Emilee's mother's (Karen??) grody, crooked, brown bottom teeth. Like a cesspool of placque and bacteria. OMG it bothers me so much.  And how her neck is always craned into an awkward and unnatural position when she speaks.

I am having the most trouble with this show for not knowing, or even recognizing, names. (Although the ridiculous names burdened on those new sextuplets is a frontrunner for stupidity). Even when I try to remember who is who, I truly just don't care. This show could be cancelled tomorrow and I wouldn't even google an update. Why am I this apathetic?

• Love 2
On 9/25/2018 at 11:42 PM, Former Nun said:

That type of message will NEVER be forgotten.  The people involved will talk about it and her long after she's out of the picture.   Say it, forget it; write it, regret it.  (Judge Milian, People's Court)

So true!! You took the words out of my (and my mother's) mouth, Former Nun. I grew up with that saying, and Max and his father have every right to throw that text message back in Mom's face. Upon first appearance Max's dad and underbite's step dad appear semi-normal. (But we know better because why are they still here...?) Come on lady, who is really tolerating whom?

• Love 2
On 9/13/2018 at 12:36 PM, BravoAddict72 said:

At this point I would give McKayla a deadline for when she needs to be out. 2 kids in 2 years when she is barely out of high school! Did she even graduate from high school? It's like her and her boyfriend learned nothing the first time. They are making it too easy on McKayla. 

It bothers me the way she sits in the middle of this soon-to-be-crap life with no emotion/reaction thought. She waits for things to happen to her, or around her. I am disappointed in myself because I feel McKayla is a direct result/consequence of the first teenage pregnancy shows. She is so unaffected by her situation, I think she believes popping out kids, young, is her chosen TLC career. How messed up is that?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Chalby said:

I feel bad for Bridget because Diego Dumbass has intentionally set her up to be HATED by him for what he thinks is a "good reason".

Yeah I agree. He is a manipulative little prick & I do believe his parents know what's up. They like having Emilee hang with them & be the 'cool' accepting parents, all while demonizing Bridget for being concerned about her daughter's future, & of course, warning her about Diego.

Emilee won't listen. She's completely snowed & will have to figure it out herself through years of misery.  Hope the baby doesn't suffer the same fate someday.

7 hours ago, Chalby said:

Did anyone else out there find that Chloe's mom was flirting with Max's dad. Or am I just so confused who is who that I am making up relationships where none exist?

The 30 something year old actually a teenager 'mom' wants to be cool & hip. Curl your hair & wear a tight top to show it off & then work it baby. You're still a *married* 30 something year old with a pregnant teenage daughter acting & looking like an idiot on TV, but enjoy... at all your kids' & grandkid's expense of course.

• Love 5
On 9/20/2018 at 6:43 AM, ghoulina said:

Am I the only one who thought that McKayla meant that the condoms hurt CAELEN? I mean, if so, it's probably some BS he fed her, because he doesn't want to wear them. But I thought she was saying, "Calen won't wear condoms because they hurt and *I* won't take BC because of the bad side effects."

Even so, both of Makayla's statements are the product of grandparents who meant well but created a spoiled monster. Whenever I see her on the screen, arms crossed stating, "I am still gonna marry him..." Oh really? Well show the princess the door, and tell her to mail your invitation. Grandparents need to financially cut both of them off and not even give a thought as to how they will survive. The girl clearly has horseshoes and unicorns up her butt, so she is set for life.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Chalby said:

The girl clearly has horseshoes and unicorns up her butt, so she is set for life.

There's a rude awakening in her future, probably when the grands die or can no longer support her & however many kids she'll have by then.

• Love 7
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I think the general rule is that people who appear on reality TV are fair game on message boards.  Which is fine with me because if you appear on reality TV and don't want to be dissected and criticized, you shouldn't have appeared on reality TV in the first place, and you shouldn't go seeking out what people are saying about you on message boards behind your back if you can't take it. 

I doubt people in real life are massively bothered by other people's less than perfect smiles.  There's a good chance they might not even notice unless someone else says something first--like on a message board. 

In that vein, the mole on Caelan's mother's face really bugs me. 

That's the part I don't get.  I can certainly understand how an immature vindictive teenager would think peeing on his enemy's toothbrush is the thing to do, but I can't wrap my head around telling someone.  That's just stupid.

The only time I text is to say something like, "ETA is 5:45."  I never have conversations.  So it seems SUPER weird to me that Jessica would put that in a text to Chloe at all.  Why?  They live in the same house and presumably have discussed this using actual words out loud.  Why write it down?  What possible good can come from that?  That's almost as stupid as telling people you peed on your girlfriend's mother's toothbrush.

I agree with you in general but for a 16 year old on a show about being pregnant, I think the rules are a little different.   You can't expect the same sort of judgment when it comes to appearing on tv from a child in this position as say...an adult on the real housewives franchise, you know?   People are acting like she looks like some kind of monster.   Teenage girls are self conscious enough as it is, bagging on their looks is unnecessary and poor form in general. 

I agree with you completely on Shelly's mole, tho.   That shit was driving me nuts last night.  ;)

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, gonecrackers said:

Ah; that would be better than Diego's mother.  I imagine Emiliee's mom had to work a lot so maybe she did spend much more time with her grandmother. I'm sure it was necessary but still tough on her mom given the grandmother may have developed a closer bond with Emilee.

I just watched it last night.  She was definitely talking about Diego's mom.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, lezlers said:

I agree with you in general but for a 16 year old on a show about being pregnant, I think the rules are a little different.   You can't expect the same sort of judgment when it comes to appearing on tv from a child in this position as say...an adult on the real housewives franchise, you know?   People are acting like she looks like some kind of monster.   Teenage girls are self conscious enough as it is, bagging on their looks is unnecessary and poor form in general.

Bagging on their looks in a way intended for them to hear about it is definitely unnecessary and poor form in general, and that holds true, in my opinion, for any human, of any age, whether on reality TV or not.  But I have no problem with talking behind reality stars' backs, where they won't even know about it unless they come looking for it. 

Then again, if bagging on their looks here makes one of us feel emboldened to twitter at them about their looks, then that's just terrible, and I would feel awful about being a facilitator of that.  But mostly, people who would do that should be ashamed of themselves and have deeper issues than fellow participants in a discussion forum should feel responsible for.

Plus I don't think teenage girls magically become un-self conscious when they turn 18 (adult), or 20 (non-teenager).  And try calling any of them a "child" at this point--I'm sure they would forcefully correct you that they are NOT children, that they have a child of their own. 

And why can't I expect some sort of superior judgment from them?  They are "mature" enough to decide to keep a baby and raise it.  They're voluntarily making adult decisions, so they can be expected to act like adults.  Then again, if the adults they're acting like are their own parents, then that's a major issue itself because I've been completely unimpressed by all of them. 

And in that vein, I don't think any of the teens are being forced to participate in this show against their will, and I assume that as minors, their parents have to have given their permission.  You know the kids want to be reality stars, and their parents have facilitated that, and they're all idiots and I have trouble feeling bad about talking about them behind their backs, be it their looks, their grammar, their decisions--whatever. 

14 hours ago, Chalby said:

Why aren't we viewers being arrested for abusing a group of mentally unstable (and academically slow) kids and adults for our own amusement? 

I read that Emiley was in the top ten of her class, which surprised me because she didn't strike me as being all that smart.  But then I remembered that she's from a small town, and I gather that there are about 60 people in the senior class there.  So "top ten" has a little different ring than it did in my class of 700.

Interesting thing about numbers:  There were 12 people in Mr. Outlier's graduating class, so all but two people in the whole class could claim they were in the top ten.  Oh, but five of them were national merit scholars, so one of those national merit scholars just barely made the top HALF of the class.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, lezlers said:

I agree with you completely on Shelly's mole, tho.   That shit was driving me nuts last night.  ;)

I agree. Also, underbites are notoriously difficult to correct, according to my friends the dentist and dental hygienist. Even starting young, the jaw wants to revert to its natural form, even if misaligned. You also have to wait until the child has stopped growing before surgery. Chloe is 16, so she's right in the age group for surgery, if they are thinking about that. My friend in high school had braces for years and surgery to correct her jaw, and now, twenty years later, it's still messed up. Teeth can and do revert to their natural position after years of braces and retainers, so I try not to judge people too harshly on that. 

Now them being egotistical and ignorant enough to have babies when they can barely take care of themselves? I'm judging harshly. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Bagging on their looks in a way intended for them to hear about it is definitely unnecessary and poor form in general, and that holds true, in my opinion, for any human, of any age, whether on reality TV or not.  But I have no problem with talking behind reality stars' backs, where they won't even know about it unless they come looking for it. 

Then again, if bagging on their looks here makes one of us feel emboldened to twitter at them about their looks, then that's just terrible, and I would feel awful about being a facilitator of that.  But mostly, people who would do that should be ashamed of themselves and have deeper issues than fellow participants in a discussion forum should feel responsible for.

Plus I don't think teenage girls magically become un-self conscious when they turn 18 (adult), or 20 (non-teenager).  And try calling any of them a "child" at this point--I'm sure they would forcefully correct you that they are NOT children, that they have a child of their own. 

And why can't I expect some sort of superior judgment from them?  They are "mature" enough to decide to keep a baby and raise it.  They're voluntarily making adult decisions, so they can be expected to act like adults.  Then again, if the adults they're acting like are their own parents, then that's a major issue itself because I've been completely unimpressed by all of them. 

And in that vein, I don't think any of the teens are being forced to participate in this show against their will, and I assume that as minors, their parents have to have given their permission.  You know the kids want to be reality stars, and their parents have facilitated that, and they're all idiots and I have trouble feeling bad about talking about them behind their backs, be it their looks, their grammar, their decisions--whatever. 

I read that Emiley was in the top ten of her class, which surprised me because she didn't strike me as being all that smart.  But then I remembered that she's from a small town, and I gather that there are about 60 people in the senior class there.  So "top ten" has a little different ring than it did in my class of 700.

Interesting thing about numbers:  There were 12 people in Mr. Outlier's graduating class, so all but two people in the whole class could claim they were in the top ten.  Oh, but five of them were national merit scholars, so one of those national merit scholars just barely made the top HALF of the class.

I'm never going to believe it's okay to insult a minor's appearance (well, something they have no control over like their JAW) on any kind of forum they can see, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I read that Emiley was in the top ten of her class, which surprised me because she didn't strike me as being all that smart. 

Most likely book smart but obviously lacking in common sense or emotional maturity.  The latter may come with age; the former, well, sometimes it never happens.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, lezlers said:

I'm never going to believe it's okay to insult a minor's appearance (well, something they have no control over like their JAW) on any kind of forum they can see, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.  

I'm all about agreeing to disagree, so works for me.  But I am curious--at what age does it become okay to insult people's appearance in forums that they can see?  They become adults at 18, but at that point still have two years left as a teenager, although you previously said mentioned "teenage girls" who are self-conscious, so maybe that doesn't include ones who are 18 or 19.

• Love 4
On 9/24/2018 at 2:20 AM, Lynnlynnlynn586 said:

I did (sweat stains) ?

Dirty sweat stains....??

It makes me ill watching these stupid teen boys holding their babies, and exerting some kind of “parenting” by refusing to let a newborn have an pacifier.  Honestly, none of these guys are going to step up, and I don’t have much hope for the girls either.  These poor children.

• Love 4
On 9/24/2018 at 6:37 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I think the general rule is that people who appear on reality TV are fair game on message boards.  Which is fine with me because if you appear on reality TV and don't want to be dissected and criticized, you shouldn't have appeared on reality TV in the first place, and you shouldn't go seeking out what people are saying about you on message boards behind your back if you can't take it. 

I doubt people in real life are massively bothered by other people's less than perfect smiles.  There's a good chance they might not even notice unless someone else says something first--like on a message board. 

In that vein, the mole on Caelan's mother's face really bugs me. 

That's the part I don't get.  I can certainly understand how an immature vindictive teenager would think peeing on his enemy's toothbrush is the thing to do, but I can't wrap my head around telling someone.  That's just stupid.

The only time I text is to say something like, "ETA is 5:45."  I never have conversations.  So it seems SUPER weird to me that Jessica would put that in a text to Chloe at all.  Why?  They live in the same house and presumably have discussed this using actual words out loud.  Why write it down?  What possible good can come from that?  That's almost as stupid as telling people you peed on your girlfriend's mother's toothbrush.

I have text conversations with my daughter all the time, but we live in different cities.  Jessica is a coward for using text to express her rage.  I think she is such a bitch.  

Caelan’s mom’s facial mole bothers me too.  I can hardly look at her closeups.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm all about agreeing to disagree, so works for me.  But I am curious--at what age does it become okay to insult people's appearance in forums that they can see?  They become adults at 18, but at that point still have two years left as a teenager, although you previously said mentioned "teenage girls" who are self-conscious, so maybe that doesn't include ones who are 18 or 19.

On this forum it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the appearance of any person of any age. If that offends anyone, stay out of the Outdaughtered thread, believe me. Also, it's against forum rules for anyone to call you out on it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7