Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Biscuit Week

• Start Topic

Premiering Tuesday August 28, 2018 at 8pm BST on Channel 4 in the UK.

This is NOT the season which will be streaming on Netflix USA August 31. That is S8. Please leave now to avoid S9 spoilers.

Edit: This series airing on Netflix USA November 9, 2018. 

Synopsis:

The bakers make a personalised signature biscuit about them and a place in the British Isles. There's an iconic Technical. And it's crunch time with a spectacular 3D showstopper.

Channel 4 reset the series numbers when they acquired it. In their guide, this is Series 2, Episode 1. For consistency's sake, I have kept the numbering started by the BBC.

As always, please do not discuss your methods on Flying to England. We know you do it but it's a legal grey area which can be discussed in PMs but not on the forums. Thank you.

Edited by Athena
On 8/16/2018 at 3:52 AM, Athena said:

Premiering Tuesday August 28, 2018 at 8pm BST on Channel 4 in the UK.

Channel 4 reset the series numbers when they acquired it. In their guide, this is Series 2, Episode 1. For consistency's sake, I have kept the numbering started by the BBC.

As always, please do not discuss your methods on Flying to England. We know you do it but it's a legal grey area which can be discussed in PMs but not on the forums. Thank you.

I don't get it. Everyone knows what happened and it'd only cause unnecessary confusions.

This is the first time a series starts with something other than cake week?

Anyway, meet this year's bakers! 
https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/bakers/series-9/
https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/21/great-british-bake-off-2018-full-line-up-of-contestants-revealed-7862901/

Edited by sum

Call me shallow if you like, but my immediate favourite is Manon. Deservedly star baker too. Had to laugh at her not knowing what "wheel wagons" were.

I also liked Antony, Briony and the stay-at-home dad whose name I can't remember right now.

• Love 3

I wonder was it coincidence or staged that they had the two potential star bakers sitting at one end and the three ‘in trouble’ sitting together at the other end of the line. 

I’m sorry to see anyone go at this stage but I’ll miss Imelda less than I would have the other two. 

And what has Noel done with his hair! His face looks so big without the ‘curtain’ of hair around it. 

• Love 3

That was a fun start, the first time (Paul said as much) they haven't started with Cake Week. The UK (or Paul at least) is still huffily precise about terms -- we want a biscuit (never mind that the term can denote two entirely different classes of things), which may either snap or crumble, but must NOT be chewy because that's a low-class American invention, the "cookie." So there.

I already recognize and like several of the bakers even after this single hour.

Manon, because she's just so capable and precise, even when she doesn't know what "wheelie wagons" are.

Briony, because she's good and because of the emphasis on Bristol, a UK city I've grown to love above all others I've visited.

Jon, because he has my name and my Welsh connection and seems fun.

Dan and Luke, because of their love of the US. (Overlooking Dan's prawn-baby.)

Anthony, for his self-deprecating sense of humor.

Rahul, because he knows he's a motormouth, but more to see more of him in future weeks to learn more about his scientific outlook.

Should be a good season.

• Love 11

I agree with a lot of your likes. Always nice to see relatable contestants and so far I'm rooting for Briony. Rahul also makes me laugh.

I liked a lot of the showstoppers, including Karen's and Manon's. Loved the look of Terry's. 

• Love 3

I always feel so bad for the first baker sent home. Imelda started well and then fell off, whereas Terry went the other direction -- showstopper weighted more than signature, which makes sense (and technical, for Ruby), plus, Terry's portrait was entirely unique as well.

If I start singling people out, then there's another, and another... One not mentioned so far that I like is Kim-Joy.

Ruby reminds me so much of someone, but I can't place her.

Funny comment Noel made that someone compared his new look to k.d. lang.  I like it (liked his long hair, too). He continues to be very sweet with all the bakers.

• Love 5

I also agree with all of the likes mentioned above. Another reason to love Manon is that when she had some spare time, she jumped in to help other bakers with their plating. I was not happy with Karen's "want a crisp?" moment, it felt too competitive and bratty for this show. I was super-impressed with Kim-Joy's York biscuits, they looked amazing.

• Love 10

I wonder, though, if the chip eating was one of those things that got milked for TV. I myself, didn't read the moment as arrogance but as one where she was undeservedly and weirdly relaxed.

I will refrain from jumping into the spectacularly polarized social media response to her, but I'll concede that Kim-Joy's work was beautiful.

justmehere, does Ruby remind you of Sandra Bullock at all?

One complaint I neglected to mention in my earlier post was Sandi's painful inclusion of "oriental flavors" in the voiceover. A complaint I made last year. Again, Bake Off, you have an international audience, with a financially valuable fan base in the US. Our Anglophilia does not extend to the casual use of the word "oriental" unless it's a rug. And even then it's inaccurate.

• Love 14

There were several bakers in other seasons who were shown drinking tea quietly while everyone else was still getting their bakes together, so Karen's offer of a crisp was a bit off-putting. My immediate response was 'This is Bake-Off! Go help Terry!'

I'm glad Terry wasn't eliminated because his mustache brought me joy.

I really like everyone, but I like Karen the least.

• Love 10

When Manon spoke her natural French and we learned a bit about her upbringing, I knew she would be a contender. The French version of this show "Le Meilleur Patissier" has the highest caliber of home bakers. It may be a stereotype that the French know how to bake, but it's astonishing how good the home bakers are so I know Manon is one to watch. I like her style and she already seems to be kind.

On 8/29/2018 at 1:43 PM, Ceindreadh said:

I wonder was it coincidence or staged that they had the two potential star bakers sitting at one end and the three ‘in trouble’ sitting together at the other end of the line.

I really like Briony as well. I noticed that Manon and Briony already seem to get along very well and were already supporting one another. I hope this will be another strong friendship to come from this show.

23 hours ago, halopub said:

I wonder, though, if the chip eating was one of those things that got milked for TV. I myself, didn't read the moment as arrogance but as one where she was undeservedly and weirdly relaxed.

I will refrain from jumping into the spectacularly polarized social media response to her, but I'll concede that Kim-Joy's work was beautiful.

I think there was a sense of TV editing, but I also found the sequence odd and out of place considering how other contestants were helping one another. I'm not warming up to Karen yet.

I do like Kim-Joy. The ladies are a strong group. I can see Ruby doing well later as well.

• Love 3

I’m sorry, but the mustache guy’s biscuit selfie face looked like Lenin corpse had been covered in lard. 

I don’t see a bright future for the guy who forgot to add water to the sugar for his caramel. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 30/8/2018 at 12:10 AM, halopub said:

justmehere, does Ruby remind you of Sandra Bullock at all?

One complaint I neglected to mention in my earlier post was Sandi's painful inclusion of "oriental flavors" in the voiceover. A complaint I made last year. Again, Bake Off, you have an international audience, with a financially valuable fan base in the US. Our Anglophilia does not extend to the casual use of the word "oriental" unless it's a rug. And even then it's inaccurate.

What’s the problem with the word oriental?  Is it not a word that the average American would understand?

4 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

What’s the problem with the word oriental?  Is it not a word that the average American would understand?

I would call it "out of date" or "out of touch" in the US, where terminology for people has favored "Asian" since about 1980. But I would also say that Americans need to understand that usage and understanding is not uniform internationally, and hearing an innocently intended instance of it ought not distress our ears. The word in itself means merely "to the East" and has had varied connotations over time and place -- when I teach French musical history, I would be remiss not to discuss the movement called "Orientalism," which at that date often implied what is now called Middle Eastern.

• Love 9

I replied to Ceindreadh's question in the Both Sides of the Atlantic thread, but I would point out the term's got a pretty awful and violent history here. It's not just outdated.

I agree that context and intention are important. The word can certainly be a neutral term when discussing Japonisme and Chinoiserie. I don't agree that it's an acceptable use in the voiceover when the production company wants to bring in a ton of revenue from the US market where such casual use of the word is considered truly effed up. Would the show ever use the word Negro to describe flavors? No. And its negativity/neutrality also is contextual. 

I fully realize that the English language breathes and evolves differently around the world - but knowledge matters when asking us for our money. I remember when Spooks changed its name for the US and that was not nearly the same scale of a revenue property.

Edited by halopub
trouble with apostrophes
  • Love 10

The word oriental has no real negative connotations in the UK. Until recently the uks Chinese population was tiny, and its still quite small now. Other offensive were still used of course primarily when asking about getting a takeaway but the word is a just a dusty old fashioned word here, mainly seen on Chinese restaurants or on businesses that trade with the East, whether European or East Asian owned   

Plus of course there is no real Korean or Japanese populations in the UK. 

No one in the UK would think to use as a term of abuse.   This of course goes both ways,  the USA use age of s*** is a pearl clutcher in the UK. When it's been us programmes it, s either been dubbed out, or faced protests if they let one slip through. Not sure how it is now of course.    

• Love 1

I was out of town when this episode aired so I'm just now catching up with S9! Yay for the return of Prue's statement necklaces!

Briony's apple cider empire biscuits (I had to laugh when she said Bristol doesn't have regional biscuits) looked nice with the scalloped edges. Love that Paul was so skeptical about her egg yolk trick and then ended up saying that the texture was great and she'd made the best shortbread.

Dan jinxed his lemon and strawberry Shrewsbury biscuits when he said he's made them all the time at home without any problems! They sounded great in theory (but I'm biased because I LOVE strawberries).

Manon's hazelnut Cornish shortbread with clotted cream were so beautifully uniform. I also liked her simple but cheerful presentation with the vase of daffodils. And she loves clotted cream so I love her! I was cracking up at the way Noel (mis)pronounced her name versus hearing her mother say it properly.

Ruby's masala chai Devon flats with pistachios looked fine but average. I had to laugh when Paul asked why she had 25 biscuits instead of the assigned 24 and she said, "Because I'm bad at maths."

Rahul the nuclear scientist's fennel and coconut Pitcaithly bannock looked nice (I'll never say no to something with chocolate drizzle on top) but the judges seemed less than enthused.

Imelda's cherry and white chocolate oatmeal biscuits looked very professional. The flavor combination sounded great.

DJ Luke's lime and ginger Yorkshire biscuits looked very uniform.

Antony the banker won me over when he stopped baking long enough to teach Sandi how to dance. His turmeric and caraway Goosnargh cakes with mango chili jam were so colorful and pretty, neither of which I expect from a biscuit. I'm glad that he didn't make the chili jam too spicy since Paul is averse to that.

I agree with the judges about Jon's Aberffraw seashell shortbread biscuits with butterscotch buttercream looking very pale.

I loved Kim-Joy's orange blossom York biscuits with the white flower on top. Aesthetics aside, Paul had high praise for the texture and Prue loved the acidity of the citrus.

Karen's maca, coriander, and nutmeg Yorkshire perkins were very pretty with the flowers on top. I was totally cracking up when she finished early and just sat back and offered crisps to people. There was one season of the Great British Sewing Bee where one of the contestants consistently finished the challenges early and would just sit there having a cup of tea.

Terry's Lake District ginger shortbread. Paul looked quite skeptical when Terry told him that he was drawing little lambs on top of his shortbread. They did not turn out well. The one that actually had a lamb didn't really look like a lamb. Noel had it right when he described it as Warhol-esque.

Like Sandi, I've never had a wagon wheel but yum - raspberry jam, marshmallow, chocolate, and biscuit! Some of them looked disastrous, but Manon, Ruby, and Briony all did a great job. Even though I spend the first few weeks trying to remember everyone's names because I'm still getting to know the bakers, one thing I love about these early weeks is that the judges have no expectations of the individual bakers so they are truly judging everything blind, meaning that even in the technical they don't know the bakers well enough to guess who might have made what.

Jon's cinnamon orange biscuits with lemon curd sun, buttercream sea,  white chocolate, and royal icing sailing selfie was an interesting combination. His actual self portrait looked remarkably like him. Te lumpy lemon curd didn't look great.

Briony's lemon and poppyseed biscuit Bristol selfie with gin royal icing was very colorful. Her actual portrait was my least favorite thing about it, but I loved all the details with the balloons and the sailboats. Loved when Noel said she looked a bit like Bjork.

Rahul's gingerbread spring selfie with lemon buttercream and dark chocolate seemed a bit too ambitious so I appreciated that he put a lot of spring details in. Loved the enthusiastic thumbs up he got from Dan after the judges' comments.

Ruby's gingerbread marathon selfie with crystallized ginger and marshmallow fondant already seemed undoable when she said that she'd never finished making the whole thing and then things went downhill from there. I'm glad the judges could see where she was going with her selfie because it probably would have looked great if she'd had time to finish it. Man, that's the driest biscuit Prue has ever eaten?

Antony's ginger and cinnamon biscuit Mt. Kilimanjaro selfie with chocolate and royal icing turned out better than I thought it would. It looked pretty good! A+ fpr his self portrait.

Karen's rosewater and cardamom French selfie was cute. I liked the strong color blocking. Hee, I guess Paul was in the ballpark when he said that her selfie resembled Dame Edna.

Dan's almond sugar cookie Palm Springs selfie with mango royal icing and passionfruit buttercream looked pretty good. I liked the colors and he decorated well. I had to laugh at everyone's theories about what he was holding. Paul's guess that it was a prawn was hilarious.

Luke's Las Vegas selfie with orange zest and cinnamon buttercream was a bit clumsy looking. It cracked me up that he associates cinnamon with the United States.

Manon's Mount Fuji selfie with matcha and white chocolate ganache and almond royal icing was so gorgeous and professional looking. There was no question that hers was the winner.

Kim-Joy's Miyajima selfie with cinnamon, cloves, and ginger was pretty and had an anime look to it.

Terry's brandysnap selfie with raspberry jam, crushed meringue, and vanilla buttercream was very artistic. His idea to drape the brandysnap over the face mask was a brilliant idea and luckily he had the skill to paint it well so that it didn't look scary.

Imelda's lemon and ginger seaside selfie with ground almond sand and vanilla buttercream was a little too plain for me. The showstoppers are supposed to have a wow factor! And unfortunately her flavors weren't strong enough to make up for how plain it looked.

Even before Manon kicked ass in the technical and showstopper challenges, I was already rooting for her to stick around because I love her accent and her sunny disposition (unlike Ruby who seems a bit negative). And I want to hear more about the egg farm! She had a great week. As far as I can remember, she is the only one who really excelled at all three challenges, so I was sure that she would win star baker!

• Love 7
On 8/29/2018 at 6:13 PM, justmehere said:

Ruby reminds me so much of someone, but I can't place her.

I mistook Ruby for the actress Charlotte Riley when I first saw her.

I'm so happy they've made this available on Netflix US so soon after it finished airing in the UK (though, sadly, not before I accidentally spoiled myself by visiting the Guardian website and seeing a headline that revealed the winner).

I agree with the early favorites others here have listed: Briony, Manon, Antony, Terry, and Rahul. I also liked Imelda and am sorry she was the first to go, especially since she seemed to take it so hard.

I miss Noel's old hairstyle. I don't think his new do does him any favors.

• Love 4

So happy to have this season so soon after it aired in the UK. Too early to have any favorites, but I admit I find Kim-Joy's look off putting, my hands keep reaching out to blend in her blush.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cherrypj said:

Is there a Wagon Wheels US-equivalent? I know there's the Pinwheels marshmallow cookies--maybe that's what I'm remembering.

These are on the list for my next challenge!

Maybe Moon Pies? I think Mallomars are closer to Tunnock's teacakes.

6 hours ago, GaT said:

Too early to have any favorites, but I admit I find Kim-Joy's look off putting, my hands keep reaching out to blend in her blush.

Plus the eye shadow. I saw a pic of her with subtler makeup and found it very flattering. I'm trying not to be too critical of her makeup, though, since Kim-Joy clearly has a different aesthetic to my more conventional style. The bright, saturated makeup is a purposeful style choice from a twenty-something who is inspired by kawaii culture.

• Love 4

It usually takes me a few weeks to warm up to the contestants but halfway through the first bake I felt myself saying that I already don't want any of them to leave the tent. They've got a really good group this season.  Even the opening joke wasn't as cringe worthy as last year's hot air balloon.  

I'm just so glad to have this show back.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

I got to know everyone’s names by episode three, which is early for me.

I'm still not sure if I like the self-portrait challenge or not. Nevertheless, it definitely helped me get to feel closer to the bakers from the get go & memorize their names more quickly.

1 hour ago, sum said:

I'm still not sure if I like the self-portrait challenge or not

I was too lazy to go back and check, but was there a requirement that they be three-dimensional? Everyone seemed to do that, but I wondered if that was just to be more challenging.

16 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I was too lazy to go back and check, but was there a requirement that they be three-dimensional? Everyone seemed to do that, but I wondered if that was just to be more challenging.

[Sandi] Today, Prue and Paul would like you to make a spectacular biscuit selfie portrait... Your selfie should be constructed from layers of decorated biscuits and sandwiched together with fillings of your choice. Your portrait needs to be of you somewhere memorable.

This Showstopper is a fiendish test of our bakers' biscuit-making ability. Not only must they engineer a giant biscuit canvas, but also make multiple intricate elements to bring their portraits to life.

[Prue] This is the first opportunity these bakers have had of showing us artistry, skill, imagination. We want the selfie to be built up with layers of biscuits because we want some depth to it.

[Paul] We want a proper portrait displayed on an easel, so obviously, the biscuit sliding is the big problem. They could use caramel, they could use royal icing. They're the perfect things to bond with biscuit and stand the force of gravity.

[Prue] Importantly, we don't want style over substance. If they don't taste like the most beautiful biscuits you've ever eaten, they're not going to get anywhere. It is a monumental challenge.

[Noel] As well as a dough that results in biscuits sturdy enough to construct a 3D work of art ... it must also deliver exquisite flavours.

So yeah, I guess they had to.

• Love 2

Yay to season 9 of GBBO! Usually I've found myself "flying to England" to watch the series at the normal TV pace of one episode per week, but that's been harder to do the past couple of years and this year I completely missed the start date in the UK. So I'm glad to see that it's available on US Netflix so quickly...although now I'll have to ration myself since it's all available at one go. :)
One thing I *didn't* like on this episode is that the bakers and Paul/Prue/Noel/Sandi all wore the same clothes for the entire episode, but they all spoke pretty clearly about filming taking place over two days (lots of references to "tomorrow" or "yesterday"). I think the "natural" pacing of GBBO and the lack of typical reality-show timeline-bending shenanigans is one of the best parts of the show, so I hope they're not trying to take small steps to change that. It would be a bummer if they started inserting scenes from day 1 into day 2, for example, and even worse if they massively changed things to film over a straight two-week period instead of doing it over the weekends. 
On the other hand, I really liked starting with biscuit week -- I thought the challenges really helped us get to know the individual bakers better since 2 of the 3 challenges were supposed to reflect their personalities/hometowns. Plus I think that biscuits, along with fairy cakes (or what I as an American would call cookies and cupcakes, haha) are some of the hardest things to CONSISTENTLY get right as a baker. When you're making cakes you can always level things off or try to hide mistakes, but with smaller things like cookies it's so hard to get them all exactly the same, and so easy to under or overbake them. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, jhummerbird said:

One thing I *didn't* like on this episode is that the bakers and Paul/Prue/Noel/Sandi all wore the same clothes for the entire episode, but they all spoke pretty clearly about filming taking place over two days (lots of references to "tomorrow" or "yesterday").

I think they have always done this - worn the same clothes for both days. I don't think it's new to this season.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Eliza422 said:

I think they have always done this - worn the same clothes for both days. I don't think it's new to this season.

Yes, they have always done that. It's so they can pick and choose the talking head segments and not have to worry about the clothes not matching between the two days. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, jhummerbird said:

One thing I *didn't* like on this episode is that the bakers and Paul/Prue/Noel/Sandi all wore the same clothes for the entire episode, but they all spoke pretty clearly about filming taking place over two days (lots of references to "tomorrow" or "yesterday"). I think the "natural" pacing of GBBO and the lack of typical reality-show timeline-bending shenanigans is one of the best parts of the show, so I hope they're not trying to take small steps to change that.

3 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Yes, they have always done that. It's so they can pick and choose the talking head segments and not have to worry about the clothes not matching between the two days. 

In one of the earlier seasons (I think it was S1 or S2), there was an interview and someone (I can't remember if it was the judges, the hosts, or a a producer) said that another reason they have the bakers wear the same clothes for both days is that it makes it easier for the audience to recognize the bakers in the earlier weeks before everyone learned their names.

I remember thinking that if the show would either put each baker's name on the screen EVERY time they talked for the first 2-3 episodes or just give them aprons with their names, they wouldn't have to make the poor bakers wear the same sweaty clothes on the second day. Fast forward seven years and the bakers on The Great Canadian Baking Show are given aprons with their names embroidered in a large font on the front!

• Love 3

I would hope they offer laundry services overnight! Those aprons aren’t protecting against every spill or smudge of ingredients, and I am remembering Steven’s sweat-stained shirt after that really hot day in Season 8. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I would hope they offer laundry services overnight! Those aprons aren’t protecting against every spill or smudge of ingredients, and I am remembering Steven’s sweat-stained shirt after that really hot day in Season 8. 

That reminds me of the last episode I watched, which I think was Cake Week (don't worry, no spoiler here). But one competitor was very unhappy about how something turned out, and another competitor gave competitor #1 a great, big, chocolatey-hands hug all over the first person's rather nice shirt. I couldn't help but cringe! So yes, I certainly do hope that laundry service is included!

• Love 1

They probably do wash their clothes that evening. It's not like it takes days to do. They could even had a production person just toss everything into one load. while the cast have a PJ party in their rooms lol or just change into something else while not filming. 

Hooray, just saw this season on Netflix and watched episode one!  This show is my happy place, my escape from the harsh realities of life!  ?

Love the group of contestants.  So many to root for.  It’s a good looking group!  And such musical accents- I was disappointed that Imelda left because I loved her voice!  

Hated the schtick-y beginning.  That was cringeworthy and desperately made me miss Mel and sue.  

im not familiar with Noel- is he on other shows, or well known in the UK?  Honestly it’s like someone combined Johnny Iuzinni, Sue, and Freddy Mercury in the most nightmarish way.  I’m hoping he grows on me.

Prue seems decent, although her glasses are so bright they hurt my eyes.

The selfie showstopper was an interesting challenge!  I love what some of them came up with. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, awaken said:

im not familiar with Noel- is he on other shows, or well known in the UK?  Honestly it’s like someone combined Johnny Iuzinni, Sue, and Freddy Mercury in the most nightmarish way.  I’m hoping he grows on me.

Someone younger, or actually British can answer better, but I gather he's kind of famous in Britain as a comedian, among other things. I gather you didn't see the first season he was on? I think he will grow on you-- he's actually delightful with a sweet manner that you can't help but like. My husband saw him for the first time over the weekend as he walked through the room and said "wow he's an odd looking person!" (He was wearing a very garish bumblebee shirt that made no sense at all). True that! But he's always sweet.

• Love 9
On 8/31/2018 at 7:08 AM, justmehere said:

Maybe a bit, but I don't think she's who I'm reminded of.

She reminds me of Freida Pinto, but now that it was mentioned, she does have a Sandra Bullock quality (from While You Were Sleeping). 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

Someone younger, or actually British can answer better, but I gather he's kind of famous in Britain as a comedian, among other things. I gather you didn't see the first season he was on? I think he will grow on you-- he's actually delightful with a sweet manner that you can't help but like. My husband saw him for the first time over the weekend as he walked through the room and said "wow he's an odd looking person!" (He was wearing a very garish bumblebee shirt that made no sense at all). True that! But he's always sweet.

He was a stand-up comedian and member of a comedy troupe called The Mighty Boosh, who had a show on the BBC. They were famous for weird, offbeat comedy, and Noel's personality is a somewhat toned down version of it. He also captained one of the teams on Never Mind The Buzzcocks for a while, and regularly appears on the various panel shows on British TV.

I've said it plenty of times, but I think the energy he brings to the tent is very welcome. Different from Mel and Sue, in that he gives off an almost serene vibe at times, but he always seems able to diffuse tension for the bakers.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, dleighg said:

Thanks ?

no, this is the first season I’m watching of him!  I’m glad he’s an overall good guy!

yes, I was thinking moon pies!  

• Love 1

I'm a big fan of Noel, in fact he is the reason I started watching GBBO.  I'm trying to get used to the new hairstyle, but I did wonder at first if he had started using Sue's hair team!!  Hopefully it will grow on me.  Glad to see some Boosh fans here!!  No one I talk to over here in the US knows about them.  I keep trying to spread the good word!!