Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Changing Winds

• Start Topic

(edited)

Maybe I missed the explanation, but why does Caputo sing "I'm On Fire" instead of "Dancing in the Dark" at karaoke? Also, I used to watch that video and be so jealous of Courtney Cox (until I found out years later she was a plant). Ah, the days before the interwebs...

Badison reminds me of character actress Denny Dillon.

Edited by QQQQ
  • Love 8

I’m guessing “Dancing in the Dark” probably costs more than they wanted to pay

I’m so over Madison. I’d rather see more of Barb and Carol if we’ve gotta have inmate villains. The accent, the acting, the “bad” persona - it’s all so grating. 

I did laugh a couple times though - once at “Well that’s a hotel chain so you might want to rethink that one” and the celebrity name game. 

• Love 14

Why does "Daddy" remind me of a slightly more masculine Ralph Macchio? 

I swear, her mannerisms and facial expressions make me expect her to start doing Karate moves.   But I really don't give a damn about her backstory as a low-level pimp.  

As a new character, she's a fail.  Like most of the others, not that I can bother to learn their names. 

I'm pretty much hate-watching this now.  If this thing limps into a season 7, I'm probably gonna pass.  

• Love 15
(edited)

Oh Daya. Badison flashbacks? Lame, no thank you.

It was nice to see Fig laughing. Luschek as the poor man's Chris Pratt!

Best line of the ep: "fresh batch of white privilege" - I love Nicky.

This episode started to drag a bit, the middle set up episodes are always a bit of a slog.

A few of my lingering questions through 7 episodes: - is Cindy going to testify at Taystee's trial? - Alex has a phone now so is she getting roped in? - how did Blanca get no additional time on her sentence?

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

how did Blanca get no additional time on her sentence?

I wondered the same thing. I think they answer it in the finale, where they show that MCC just plans to keep her whatever happens, by turning her over to ICE and then incarcerating her as an ICE detainee.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2018 at 4:28 PM, QQQQ said:

Maybe I missed the explanation, but why does Caputo sing "I'm On Fire" instead of "Dancing in the Dark" at karaoke? 

Probably like it was said, cost. But I like Fire better. 

On 7/28/2018 at 9:17 AM, shantown said:

I did laugh a couple times though - once at “Well that’s a hotel chain so you might want to rethink that one” and the celebrity name game. 

I honestly laughed out loud when Piper said "Cee Lo what you did" and the African woman retorted "not for you!" 

Actually good to know Madison made up her stupid nickname and was called on it. So basically she's just was just a brat because she farted once in 4th grade and still couldn't get over it 7 years later. 

On 7/28/2018 at 11:12 AM, leighdear said:

As a new character, she's a fail.  Like most of the others, not that I can bother to learn their names

I think she's all right. I appreciate that they've given it some thought and are trying to show the prison structure. Not everyone needs a flashback though. Actors can actually come up with their own. 

23 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

- how did Blanca get no additional time on her sentence?

I thought because of the riot. 

21 hours ago, funnygirl said:

The bar scene really endeared me to Caputo and Figueroa's relationship to the point where I'm now rooting for them. 

I totally am. I like that she had genuine emotion at the bar. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, kelslamu said:

I thought Blanca gave up Ruiz or Red.  I don't even remember why I think that now. lol

Blanca presumably gave up Ruiz after the whole ‘worshipping the cult of the Virgin’ scam that Gloria pulled in order to get the message to her that they needed to rat on Maria. 

• Love 3

Can someone explain to me Cindy’s motivation for maintaining her lie about the Piscatella situation? If I had to summarize it I’d say it’s because she fears repercussions from the guards who killed him. But those guards aren’t even around, are they? Their retribution seems like a far-fetched scenario but nevertheless she’d let Taystee face life in prison rather than tell the truth? Or am I missing something about her rationale? Even before she understood the implications for Taystee I didn’t quite understand it.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, BingeyKohan said:

Can someone explain to me Cindy’s motivation for maintaining her lie about the Piscatella situation? If I had to summarize it I’d say it’s because she fears repercussions from the guards who killed him. But those guards aren’t even around, are they? Their retribution seems like a far-fetched scenario but nevertheless she’d let Taystee face life in prison rather than tell the truth? Or am I missing something about her rationale? Even before she understood the implications for Taystee I didn’t quite understand it.

Her fingerprints were on the gun too so maybe she feared if they couldn’t blame Taystee they would instead blame her. But it still doesn’t totally make sense because she had a witness that she didn’t, albeit a potentially unreliable witness (Suzanne).

41 minutes ago, BosomBuddy said:

I believe the lawyer said that she had already given a statement. If she then changed her story, she would become an unreliable witness herself and still wouldn't help Taystee.

• Love 2
On 28/07/2018 at 10:17 AM, shantown said:

I’m guessing “Dancing in the Dark” probably costs more than they wanted to pay

I’m so over Madison. I’d rather see more of Barb and Carol if we’ve gotta have inmate villains. The accent, the acting, the “bad” persona - it’s all so grating. 

I'm on fire being slower probably works better with what they were going for in the karaoke scene. Overall the whole thing with Caputo and Fig was probably my favorite part of the episode. Plus in the flashback someone actually was on fire.

Badison is terrible, I think im to the point where I would almost rather have the meth heads back than more of her. 

57 minutes ago, BosomBuddy said:

Her fingerprints were on the gun too so maybe she feared if they couldn’t blame Taystee they would instead blame her. But it still doesn’t totally make sense because she had a witness that she didn’t, albeit a potentially unreliable witness (Suzanne).

I think a big part of it is how much control the guards have, to the point where if Cindy were to talk she would probably never see the inside of a courtroom to testify against them. 

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 4
On 7/28/2018 at 10:17 AM, shantown said:

9 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Badison is terrible, I think im to the point where I would almost rather have the meth heads back than more of her. 

Sweet Jesus, yes!  When I'd rather have Angie back than you, that's a sad commentary, Madison.  (I sort of liked Leanne a little, particularly after her backstory episode.)  I think she's one of the most cartoonish, useless characters that they've ever introduced on the show, and that "Boston" "accent" was inexcusable.  If the actress can't do it, either get one who can or go with something else.  Her backstory was not interesting or enlightening, and I'm not sure what the takeaway was supposed to be - that some people are just assholes from the get-go?

• Love 7

It's just not clear to me how she actually moved up the power structure in prison because Carol was tooling on her constantly. Her best idea, the phones, was all Alex. I guess failing upwards. 

7 hours ago, Lurky McLurkerson said:

Her backstory was not interesting or enlightening, and I'm not sure what the takeaway was supposed to be - that some people are just assholes from the get-go?

I think that's it. Being an asshole isn't a criminal offense. It looks like she had an anger management problem and her parents just gave up on her. Or that she just couldn't get over herself. 

The problem is that I don't feel bad for her, nor do I "love to hate" her. The character just is one note and frankly boring. And not really believable. It's not the actor's fault. Saddling her with one of the more impossible accents to replicate wasn't fair to the actor either. 

• Love 5

Daya's decent with her life in prison just getting worse and worse is the most realistic we have seen.  I also like how the characters are make-up free with bad hair too now they are in max and have little resources.  I teared up a little during the Fig and Caputo scenes.  They were really good and saved the rest of the mess.

A horrible Badison episode which was just a joke, not compelling like the original characters.   I feel like the actress thought it would be such a meaty role, an accent, nude scenes and a whole character arch.  Instead we have to suffer through her terrible accent and she only showed how flabby and drained her boobs are.  Mine are not as saggy and I've breastfed two children. 

SHANKED!!!

Edited by IDreamofJoaquin
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, QQQQ said:

Maybe I missed the explanation, but why does Caputo sing "I'm On Fire" instead of "Dancing in the Dark" at karaoke? 

I'm not mad about it. I love that song. And Joe Caputo. He is sexy!! I wish he sang You Slay Me by his band Sideboob though.  But that wouldn't fit the storyline.

Madison reminds me of Kail from Teen Mom.  In looks mostly.  Personality a little. I don't think Kail is as shitty a person as Madison but I could be wrong.  

What kind of pills was Daya on?  Ecstasy or something of the sort?

This was my favorite episode of the season. Felt like old school OITNB.

Luschek and whats her name are cute together.  

(edited)

I guess my point about Dancing in the Dark vs I'm On Fire is why have the entire conversation about Fig's memory of/connection to that specific song (being at the St. Paul concert when Courtney Cox was pulled up on stage while it was being sung by Bruce)? Caputo was trying to make her feel better about it by bringing Fig on stage at karaoke, and Fig even replicated Cox's dance moves (such as they were, it was the 80s!) - but it was the wrong song. Maybe it was a $$ thing, but it was karaoke not Bruce singing, plus both songs were popular so I don't think that's it. It's like replicating John Cusack's Say Anything boombox scene, but instead of In Your Eyes, playing Solsbury Hill. 

That's why I was wondering if I'd missed an explanation,  like Fig saying I'm On Fire was actually her favorite or Caputo saying it was time to make a new memory.

Edited by QQQQ
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, QQQQ said:

I guess my point about Dancing in the Dark vs I'm On Fire is why have the entire conversation about Fig's memory of/connection to that specific song (being at the St. Paul concert when Courtney Cox was pulled up on stage while it was being sung by Bruce)? Caputo was trying to make her feel better about it by bringing Fig on stage at karaoke, and Fig even replicated Cox's dance moves (such as they were, it was the 80s!) - but it was the wrong song. Maybe it was a $$ thing, but it was karaoke not Bruce singing, plus both songs were popular so I don't think that's it. It's like replicating John Cusack's Say Anything boombox scene, but instead of In Your Eyes, playing Solsbury Hill. 

That's why I was wondering if I'd missed an explanation,  like Fig saying I'm On Fire was actually her favorite or Caputo saying it was time to make a new memory.

Maybe he wanted to let her have her “own song.”

• Love 3
On 8/1/2018 at 9:55 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

Plus in the flashback someone actually was on fire.

Heeeeee. And the episode title is "Changing Winds," named after the Reform School for Girls Camp (or whatever) that Badison got sent to, which is of course hilarious given how her troubles started with her breaking wind.

Meanwhile, in his car, Caputo is reading the YA novel Just Fly Away, by Andrew McCarthy...who directed the episode.

5b66ea509eb32_FlyAway.thumb.jpg.569a709028970cee4ffe7ed108d1c552.jpg

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/4/2018 at 8:26 AM, QQQQ said:

I guess my point about Dancing in the Dark vs I'm On Fire is why have the entire conversation about Fig's memory of/connection to that specific song (being at the St. Paul concert when Courtney Cox was pulled up on stage while it was being sung by Bruce)? Caputo was trying to make her feel better about it by bringing Fig on stage at karaoke, and Fig even replicated Cox's dance moves (such as they were, it was the 80s!) - but it was the wrong song.

Fig has been holding onto her hatred of Bruce since 1984.  At this point it goes beyond that one song, so I can totally see her mentioning it anytime Springsteen comes up.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
On 29/07/2018 at 1:59 PM, ganesh said:

I honestly laughed out loud when Piper said "Cee Lo what you did" and the African woman retorted "not for you!" 

I love this new character (although not enough to have learned her name).  I don't mind Daddy.  But Madison is horrible.

• Love 3
Just now, TexasGal said:

I love this new character (although not enough to have learned her name).  I don't mind Daddy.  But Madison is horrible.

They finally reveal her name at the end. It's 

Spoiler

Adeola. And she has some choice one-liners towards the end!

I'd like to think we can dislike the Badison character without body-shaming the actress. None of these actresses were hired for their model figures, which I so appreciate.

I actually enjoy getting backstories from the new characters. They are in max, not minimum security prison, so the writers have more leeway to write some pretty harsh backstories and heinous crimes.

• Love 21

I got a kick out of Pennsatucky winding up in "Florida" after blackmailing Linda. I'm not sure I understand what's going on with Suzanne and her attitude towards Taystee and Cindy unless it was just that Frieda scared her about the yard.

Edited by iMonrey
On 7/27/2018 at 2:28 PM, QQQQ said:

Maybe I missed the explanation, but why does Caputo sing "I'm On Fire" instead of "Dancing in the Dark" at karaoke? Also, I used to watch that video and be so jealous of Courtney Cox (until I found out years later she was a plant). Ah, the days before the interwebs...

Badison reminds me of character actress Denny Dillon.

I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence that he sang "I'm On Fire" in the same episode that featured Badison's flashback... in which she set someone else on fire.

• Love 1

I think "I'm On Fire" is more appropriate for the scene, which is intimate and intense.  It was the first "date" between Caputo and Fig, and the start of a real human connection between them.  There is a long instrumental period during the song when they just look at each other.  She touches his arm.  Then she says "I can't believe you're leaving" and walks off.  

This reminds me a conversation I had with a friend about a year ago.  She was planning to get out of her highly dysfunctional relationship and was wondering if she should start going out with another guy who had pursued her for about five years.  I said the second guy was like Caputo, and said she could do worse.   About five months later she did break up with the first guy and started dating the second guy.

We've seen Caputo portrayed as the (mostly) good guy who also ended up on the short end of the deal time after time.  With Fig it appears he's ending up the winner, and I think this scene was the start of that.  

• Love 1

The date between Caputo and Fig was actually surprisingly sweet. Consiering their relationship usually involved snark and hate sex, its kind of nice to see them actually connecting and having fun. I can get behind it. Also, I love that Fig has a decades long hatred of Springsteen because she is salty about supposedly not being picked to go on stage with him!

"He`s the poor mans Chris Pratt!" "You know what, I`ll take it" 

I do kind of like seeing the backstories of the max women, as their backstories are allowed to be darker, and their crimes harsher and more fucked up. I actually like most of the new characters alright. At least I like them more than more of the new people we got season before last season, or at least this have some potential to be different. Still cant stand Badison though. She just grates endlessly. Maybe if she was around less, I would like her more. 

• Love 2
On 7/28/2018 at 9:12 AM, leighdear said:

Why does "Daddy" remind me of a slightly more masculine Ralph Macchio?

Now that you mention it, but way prettier than Macchio

On 8/4/2018 at 9:05 PM, SaySay24 said:

Maybe he wanted to let her have her “own song.”

That was my take on. "Dancing in the Dark" has a lot of baggage to overcome. And "I'm on Fire" is way sexier.

On 8/17/2018 at 11:39 AM, tennisgurl said:

The date between Caputo and Fig was actually surprisingly sweet. Consiering their relationship usually involved snark and hate sex, its kind of nice to see them actually connecting and having fun. I can get behind it. Also, I love that Fig has a decades long hatred of Springsteen because she is salty about supposedly not being picked to go on stage with him!

"He`s the poor mans Chris Pratt!" "You know what, I`ll take it" 

I do kind of like seeing the backstories of the max women, as their backstories are allowed to be darker, and their crimes harsher and more fucked up. I actually like most of the new characters alright. At least I like them more than more of the new people we got season before last season, or at least this have some potential to be different. Still cant stand Badison though. She just grates endlessly. Maybe if she was around less, I would like her more. 

I thought that Caputo and Fig was one of the sweetest scenes I've seen in this show, and who would imagine that?

My main problem with Madison's flashback is that most of the flashbacks on this show have managed to elicit some sympathy for even the worst of people. But this one left me cold. A cruel nickname just doesn't account for her personality.

• Love 2