Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Look Out for Number One

• Start Topic

The casting for little Frieda last year was so good and they found someone who looks just like her but more grown-up. I loved her elation at finding out she's in Florida - with Kokomo playing over the scene.

That mid-range fruit basket! Not enough for Linda - I kind of like her character now and I'm interested to see where this little plotline goes.

Piper interpreting the message to be about Alex was so Piper and I'm over Badison at this point.

• Love 11

They have always done so well with casting the younger versions of these characters - in looks and similar voices! 

Piper has always been one to throw in the towel to save her own butt, so I wasn't really surprised with how that went. I love that Nicky wouldn't give up Red. They have such a wonderful relationship!

So we have:
B-Block/Florida: Freida and Suzanne
C-Block: Daya, Cindy, Lorna, Flaca
D-Block: Mendoza
Admin Seg: Red, Nicky, Piper, Blanca, Taystee, Ruiz
Gen Pop (?): Boo

Where is Sophia? Norma and Gina? Maritza? I hope these characters make an appearance. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, shantown said:

They have always done so well with casting the younger versions of these characters - in looks and similar voices! 

Piper has always been one to throw in the towel to save her own butt, so I wasn't really surprised with how that went. I love that Nicky wouldn't give up Red. They have such a wonderful relationship!

So we have:

Where is Sophia? Norma and Gina? Maritza? I hope these characters make an appearance. 

I think that the B C D  blocks are gen pop. 

It looked like Boo was in a separate prison along with the woman from MCC and a few others. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

Piper interpreting the message to be about Alex was so Piper and I'm over Badison at this point.

What's with the Badison accent? Is she putting on some new england affect? Because no one talks like that. 

• Love 7
(edited)

So now we know how Freida got sent to minimum security. She is a survivor.

Carol doesn’t seem too happy with her though.

She’s still mad at her sister for stealing a poster? Issues.

Edited by rogvortex58
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ganesh said:

What's with the Badison accent? Is she putting on some new england affect? Because no one talks like that. 

SERIOUSLY. Given her Wahlberg talk I’m assuming she’s supposed to be from Massachusetts (and that was what I’d suspected but this confirmed it), but man - that accent is TERRIBLE. It also goes in and out so I think some of it is acting that is...not great.

• Love 8

The problem I am having with the whole half assed riot investigation is we don't really know how much time most of these women have ldfr in prison so it is hard to know how much of a threat 10 more years really is. I mean we know Piper had a 15 month sentence (I think) so she probably has less than a year left, and it is probably safe to assume Freida is probably doing life. But other than that it is hard to know.  Like Daya probably took a life plea deal but what was her original sentence?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

Obviously, look out for yourself because no one else will, but also, look out in case someone made #1 in your shampoo and turned it into shampiss!

But they should have made it a #2 because it's right there in the name. 

12 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Boston does.

No, I'm sorry. That's demonstrably false. She's doing some weird Kennedy dialect which is indicative of no one that lives in Boston. She doesn't even sound like Cliff Clavin. But I don't see why it's needed for the character. She could be from anywhere. I feel like when she's in a scene she's overworking on how she's talking at the expense of just being this character. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, RoadFullOfPromise said:

Given her Wahlberg talk I’m assuming she’s supposed to be from Massachusetts (and that was what I’d suspected but this confirmed it), but man - that accent is TERRIBLE.

With the Wahlberg reference I assume she's supposed to be from South Boston (Southie) where everyone pretends to be a badass and they all affect this tough guy Boston accent. Boston has an accent but what Badmitton is doing is just a bad pretend southie accent. (I'm not from there but I lived there for a while and my ears bled daily from the accent.)

Just an aside - Is it too much to ask for Alex to really be dead?

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I think they are laying it on thick with her accent and the "Madison" name, to drive home that she's from a posh background. Whether it's working, I won't defend. But I think that's why they're doing it. They don't want her to just be another generic hard luck story.

• Useful 1

Bostonian here.

She's doing a Dorchester accent. Her pronounciation of "first" was dead on. She said exactly like my father used to say it.

The problem is that her dialect coach is in their 60's. The accent has softened.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
On 7/28/2018 at 12:02 PM, Ceindreadh said:

It looked like Boo was in a separate prison along with the woman from MCC and a few others. 

Yup, Boo got shipped out to a prison in Cleveland. That's where the opening sequence was set.

5b5dcef581f1d_Clevelandrocks.thumb.jpg.765b8d7e9106125af0efa2e64b2f7f6f.jpg

• Love 7
Just now, Mindthinkr said:

You don’t think that we will see her later in an episode? Darn. 

Oh, I don't know.  She might pop up again, but I don't think the characters who went on the other buses are going to be featured in season six.

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think they are laying it on thick with her accent and the "Madison" name, to drive home that she's from a posh background. Whether it's working, I won't defend. But I think that's why they're doing it. They don't want her to just be another generic hard luck story.

I think it’s exactly the opposite - the Southie/Dorchester accent is supposed to be more working class. I think if she were supposed to be posh Massachusetts she would have a Boston Brahmin vibe instead. 

Re: the name Madison - I think that’s just a product of how old she’s supposed to be. I taught elementary school

in the early 2000s, and it was definitely a “Madison B., Madison R., and Madison M.” type of situation. The Jennifer of its time, I think.

And so they could give her the awful nickname “Badison,” which is lazy writing at best.

Edited by RoadFullOfPromise
hit submit too soon
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, RoadFullOfPromise said:

Re: the name Madison - I think that’s just a product of how old she’s supposed to be. I taught elementary school

in the early 2000s, and it was definitely a “Madison B., Madison R., and Madison M.” type of situation. The Jennifer of its time, I think.

And so they could give her the awful nickname “Badison,” which is lazy writing at best.

The name Madison may have had a resurgence in the 2000's, but the name was very big around early to mid 90's.  Until the movie "Splash" came out "Madison" was an avenue in Manhattan.  After, nearly every little girl was given this "original" name.  I thought Badison was early to mid 20's, which would be about right.  The actress was born in 1984 though, so I could be wrong.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, RoadFullOfPromise said:

I think she’s attempting a Boston accent but she’s failing miserably.

Agreed. I really 100% don’t care about Madison. I care about the characters we love that you aren’t showing...enough introducing new people. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Her pronounciations are pure working class. 

She swallows her consonants. She hits her ar's as ahhhhhhh at the right time but she still hits some of them with extra vowel syllables. Listen to her say "war" as wohar. "First" as fuhst. "Important" as impawent.

What's fooling you is she speaking in a low non-nasal tone. Because she's being threatening in a surreptitious manner. Her delivery is slow and languid rather than the stereotypical nasal flat shriek of a Southie fishwife. See: "Don't call me a skank." from The Fighter.  The slowness is the only flaw. Bostonians generally speak rapid fire. Northern New Englanders are more languid. But she's using the slowness as a way to show control and be threatening.

The writers have neglected to throw in a few "wicked pissa awesomes" as well as an occasional "in-fucking-credible" or "un-fucking-believable" to help her sell it.

And if we're going to talk about really bad acting, let's discuss Daddy.  Terrible.

Edited by MrsR
  • Love 6
On 7/28/2018 at 9:22 PM, RoadFullOfPromise said:

SERIOUSLY. Given her Wahlberg talk I’m assuming she’s supposed to be from Massachusetts (and that was what I’d suspected but this confirmed it), but man - that accent is TERRIBLE. It also goes in and out so I think some of it is acting that is...not great.

I also think her acting is not great.  It is bad.  Badison for bad acting.

• Love 2

I tend not to trash on actors themselves too much. Accent aside, they just didn't give her much to work with, and not many actors can 'rise above the material' as it were. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2
On 2018-07-27 at 6:43 PM, ExplainItAgain said:

The casting for little Frieda last year was so good and they found someone who looks just like her but more grown-up. I loved her elation at finding out she's in Florida - with Kokomo playing over the scene.

That mid-range fruit basket! Not enough for Linda - I kind of like her character now and I'm interested to see where this little plotline goes.

That was such a great way to end the episode. A happy ending!

On 2018-07-29 at 10:19 PM, jenifaohjenny said:

Agreed. I really 100% don’t care about Madison. I care about the characters we love that you aren’t showing...enough introducing new people. 

But we need a new villain. The guards can't always be the worst part of their lives. It emphasizes how ruthless this new environment will be.

On 2018-07-31 at 7:51 AM, IDreamofJoaquin said:

I love Frieda's theme music.

Me too! Frieda has my favourite backstory and the music just completes it. Can never get enough Frieda. Love her interaction with Red, Actually love Red in scenes with anybody. I can't believe how much I love Kate on this show. I couldn't stand her on the Star Trek show or as Mrs. Columbo.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, PreBabylonia said:

But we need a new villain.

Do we though? The entire system is really the villain. The struggle to not fall deeper into drugs, crime, etc., seems enough of a dramatic struggle.

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Do we though? The entire system is really the villain. The struggle to not fall deeper into drugs, crime, etc., seems enough of a dramatic struggle.

Yeah, but they like putting a personal face to the horror of the system, and the best way to do that is show us even bigger threats, threats to their lives not just their freedom. Also they need to shake it up so they don't repeat themselves or else it resembles other seasons. We are now in the hardcore cells so I would expect that we will see more terrifying types of inmates. Even worse than Vee - the best villain we've had yet.  Completely unredeemable. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, PreBabylonia said:

Yeah, but they like putting a personal face to the horror of the system, and the best way to do that is show us even bigger threats, threats to their lives not just their freedom.

That's not remotely Madison though. 

• Love 3

I can't remember which episode we learned why Madison is in prison, so I'll spoiler my comments about her being in max:

She set someone on fire and has shown herself to be devoid of conscience. I think she's a bully, but she's also a psychopath. She fakes kindness in order to manipulate people, she will do ANYTHING to get what she wants, and pne of the things she wants seems to just be the "fun" of tormenting anyone in proximity. She isn't going to stop being dangerous. The women in minimum were either alleged to have committed non-violent offenses, or something more serious that was a long time ago and since being in lock up have settled down a bit more than Madison has. Or their actions were tied to specific circumstances, and not just something inherent to their way of being. [/quote]

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ganesh said:

It wasn't actually stated what exactly landed her in prison. We're assumed what they showed was the reason, but it's not totally clear. 

That's a good point. We saw an incident, but it might not have been the final one that landed her in max.

It never crossed my that this particular incident was what put her in jail. She was a minor at the time, so it's hard to see how a 16 y/o is going to max prison. Unless they're tried as an adult, but that's for really egregious crimes.

Of course, that means next season we'll probably get even more flashbacks. I honestly have zero interest in why or how she got locked up, but if we are subjected and forced to endure the plot, I really hope it's for a ridiculously stupid reason. 

• Love 1
On 7/27/2018 at 5:35 PM, shantown said:

So we have:

The first time Florida was mentioned, they included transgenders in the list (old people, incompetants, transgender), so I expect to see Sophia soon.

On 7/29/2018 at 4:56 PM, kathe5133 said:

The name Madison may have had a resurgence in the 2000's, but the name was very big around early to mid 90's.  Until the movie "Splash" came out "Madison" was an avenue in Manhattan.  After, nearly every little girl was given this "original" name.  I thought Badison was early to mid 20's, which would be about right.  The actress was born in 1984 though, so I could be wrong.

They'd hit the elementary schools in the early 2000's, which is when @RoadFullOfPromise would have encountered the flood of Madisons.

On 7/29/2018 at 4:56 PM, kathe5133 said:
On 7/29/2018 at 1:39 PM, RoadFullOfPromise said:

On 8/3/2018 at 10:06 PM, PreBabylonia said:

That was such a great way to end the episode. A happy ending!

But we need a new villain. The guards can't always be the worst part of their lives. It emphasizes how ruthless this new environment will be.

Me too! Frieda has my favourite backstory and the music just completes it. Can never get enough Frieda. Love her interaction with Red, Actually love Red in scenes with anybody. I can't believe how much I love Kate on this show. I couldn't stand her on the Star Trek show or as Mrs. Columbo.

Wait- Kate was Mrs. Colombo? I thought we never met Mrs. Colombo. I guess I am remembering wrong.

Did we ever hear what got Freida locked up, especially so young?  She's so resourceful, its almost amazing she was caught.  

typical "comedy of errors" with Piper thinking it was Alex who was killed, that they couldn't get a clearer message to her about who died, that neither she nor her attorney confirmed who actually died.

So I had always thought Caputo was just warden of the women's minimum security, and his office was there.  But now its suggesting he was warden of the entire facility, and just went back and forth between buildings?  Can't wait to see Fig and and Fergie working together.

6 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Did we ever hear what got Freida locked up, especially so young?  She's so resourceful, its almost amazing she was caught. 

Considering how long she has been in prison I am going to guess murder. She mentioned to Red a couple of seasons ago that she killed a cop with his own gun, but that she may not have confessed to that one.

11 hours ago, Hanahope said:

So I had always thought Caputo was just warden of the women's minimum security, and his office was there.  But now its suggesting he was warden of the entire facility, and just went back and forth between buildings?  

Yes.  When the riot broke out and the regular guards walked out at the end of season 4, he phoned Max and first asked for reinforcements.  Then he realized that he was the warden and ordered guards to be sent down.  

• Love 1