Type keyword(s) to search

S09.01 Wagons Ho! 2018.07.26

Tyler Florence kicks off the race at a cattle ranch outside of Los Angeles, where he welcomes the seven teams with their first challenge. The ranch's cowhands need something to wash down their breakfast, so each team must hand-squeeze a pitcher of orange juice in order to receive their seed money and keys to their truck. The trucks then head out to shop and prep for their first day selling on the busy streets of Los Angeles, but Tyler calls with another challenge: a beef auction where each team has to create an original dish with the cut they win. The team that sells the least is sent home, while the other six head to the next city.

I was so excited about the return of my favorite FN guy — Tyler — and this entertaining show (love food trucks generally).  But oh my gosh, who ARE these people???  I’m sure I’ll get nailed by posters for saying this, but big shock — the cute, outgoing, flirty all-female team won both challenges.  When 1/2 of the game is being good at sales and interacting with total strangers on the street to entice them to buy your food, I fear that some of these folks are going to have a very hard time selling.  The guy with the huge neck tattoo in the very middle of his throat and his strange twitchiness — no thank you, I don’t want to buy any of your food, sir.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Wait wait wait...we have a team full of WCIA contestants? Jesus take the wheel cause I just can’t...

I forgot this premiered tonight. Please tell me you are kidding.

No, and they weren't even the worst.

I'm rooting for Chop's Shop, simply because they're from Pearland, where I went to high school.  They also seem to have some creativity.  

13 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

he guy with the huge neck tattoo in the very middle of his throat and his strange twitchiness — no thank you, I don’t want to buy any of your food, sir.

Amen.

• Love 4

Have they ever had all but one team be in the red? 

Sassy Soul seemed to be selling a lot so I was surprised they were the first to go. I expected the team with the albino neck tattoo guy to be leaving.

• Love 1

I expected the team with the albino neck tattoo guy to be leaving.

Me too.  I was hoping anyway.  It was amusing watching him demonstrate absolutely no sales skills after his mother said he can sell anything.  

I was surprised to see Steven and Sharon from Worst Cooks but I like both of them so I hope they do well.  The other guy was eliminated early as I recall so I don't remember him very well.

Do people in California really pay $12 for just a sandwich?  When no cameras are around?

• Love 9

I thought Sassy Soul's food looked awesome & I was looking forward to seeing what they cooked, so of course they're gone first.

3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

When 1/2 of the game is being good at sales and interacting with total strangers on the street to entice them to buy your food, I fear that some of these folks are going to have a very hard time selling.  The guy with the huge neck tattoo in the very middle of his throat and his strange twitchiness — no thank you, I don’t want to buy any of your food, sir.

I couldn't believe that he was the one they decided to send out to get customers. I'm surprised people weren't running away from him.

• Love 12

Sassy Soul seemed to be selling a lot so I was surprised they were the first to go. I expected the team with the albino neck tattoo guy to be leaving.

Sassy Soul probably lost a lot of money since they were initially serving in pineapple halves.  That is a lot of money wasted on what is basically a bowl.  Their profit margin must have been low.

• Love 10

Did anyone else notice that at the beginning of the show, Sassy Soul had Chops Shops money envelope?

12 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

The guy with the huge neck tattoo in the very middle of his throat and his strange twitchiness — no thank you, I don’t want to buy any of your food, sir.

I hate to be like this, but I agree. Plus, $12 for a tuna sandwich (or any other really) is too much.

• Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I was so excited about the return of my favorite FN guy — Tyler — and this entertaining show (love food trucks generally).  But oh my gosh, who ARE these people???  I’m sure I’ll get nailed by posters for saying this, but big shock — the cute, outgoing, flirty all-female team won both challenges.  When 1/2 of the game is being good at sales and interacting with total strangers on the street to entice them to buy your food, I fear that some of these folks are going to have a very hard time selling.  The guy with the huge neck tattoo in the very middle of his throat and his strange twitchiness — no thank you, I don’t want to buy any of your food, sir.

Devil’s advocate: Who’s going to stand out more? Another attractive female or a guy with tattoos and crazy hair? The guy. The thing that doomed them day one was they made the menu too simple and then didn’t try to combo the tuna with the strawberries (Buy both for $3 off!). Day two they were kinda doomed because of the fixed price point but they made it another day but they’re sadly not long for this show.

12 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Who were they?

WCIA guys are Just Wing It.

10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Have they ever had all but one team be in the red? 

Honestly we don’t know because before a few seasons ago they just counted he moment in the till, now they’re going by profit margin

2 hours ago, jaciekurtis said:

Sassy Soul probably lost a lot of money since they were initially serving in pineapple halves.  That is a lot of money wasted on what is basically a bowl.  Their profit margin must have been low.

Did they even use the pineapple in any of the dishes or just cut it all out for the bowl?

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Did they even use the pineapple in any of the dishes or just cut it all out for the bowl?

It was pineapple fried rice they were serving out of the pineapple which is fairly common presentation in Thai restaurants, the pineapple also gets used in the rice that said I can't imagine wanting to have to hold half a pineapple and eat that much rice by myself.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, jaciekurtis said:

That's what I was thinking, too. Buying one pineapple for every two serving had to be expensive and unnecessary.

9 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

$12 for a tuna sandwich (or any other really) is too much.

I couldn't believe they first tried to sell a single strawberry for five bucks. I thought even $1 for a strawberry with a little chocolate was way over priced.

• Love 3

In the past, didn't they spend a certain amount of time showing the teams budgeting, shopping and scoping out locations?  It just seemed there was something missing from the overall pace of the show.

I agree that tattooed half-shell guy would have sent me screaming away from any food establishment.

Only favorite so far is the New England truck, because I like New England.  So there.

• Love 6

Yeow!  Food Truck Clusterfuck!

I feel sad for neck tattoo lad.  In his heart of hearts, he MUST look at that thing in the mirror every morning and experience serious regret.  And also, what an idiot.  In a family of idiots.  I like tunafish well enough--I'll make tuna sammie my entire menu!  Then neck guy pleeeeeeading with people to buy one, without even mentioning it was a tuna melt, which might have been more appealing than the notion of "Canned Starkist on Wonder Bread, anyone?"

Is Thighs & Buns the worst name in the history of the show?   Even the graphic artists threw up their hands.

Lots of luck, Northeastern people, with your lobster rolls and seared scallops.  Have you seen this show before?  Your name is grist.

"We're from Worst Cooks in America and we have a recipe for chicken wings!"  >woot!<

Oh my, it was all just a big jolly mess.  Fun!

• Love 8
On 7/26/2018 at 6:07 PM, Skyfall said:

Wait wait wait...we have a team full of WCIA contestants? Jesus take the wheel cause I just can’t...

Could be worse..there couldve been teams consisting of either Food Network Star or Chopped cast-offs..

• Love 2
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It was pineapple fried rice they were serving out of the pineapple which is fairly common presentation in Thai restaurants, the pineapple also gets used in the rice that said I can't imagine wanting to have to hold half a pineapple and eat that much rice by myself.

I did when I ordered a pineapple bowl in Hawaii, lol, but I don’t think I finished it.  It was just a fun presentation I wanted to try once. 

11 hours ago, eel2178 said:

That's what I was thinking, too. Buying one pineapple for every two serving had to be expensive and unnecessary.

I couldn't believe they first tried to sell a single strawberry for five bucks. I thought even $1 for a strawberry with a little chocolate was way over priced.

When done well, chocolate covered strawberries sell for $30 a dozen. Those weren’t done well. They didn’t even use the right kind of chocolate. When the kid licked the chocolate on one you could tell it was still wet. The right chocolate for that hardens pretty quickly. 

10 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Only favorite so far is the New England truck, because I like New England.  So there.

We’re from New England and my daughter (who is home from culinary school for three weeks) said “I want to like them because they’re from New England, but I can’t” lol. I like their truck graphic though  

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I also rarely buy tuna sandwiches because everyone uses way too much mayo but the crap they showed was like 80% mayo.

I hate Tuna melts, period, but when I think of things I would never buy from a food truck tuna is right at the top of the list. 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/28/2018 at 4:28 AM, TDT said:

Could be worse..there couldve been teams consisting of either Food Network Star or Chopped cast-offs..

We’ve had a FNS Guy once before. Not a team full of them but ya know it’s something.

20 hours ago, oldCJ said:

Did anyone else notice the woman from the heroes team stick her hand right in the orange juice to get seeds out? Nasty. 

I mean.....it’s not like anyone was going to drink it...

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, oldCJ said:

Did anyone else notice the woman from the heroes team stick her hand right in the orange juice to get seeds out? Nasty. 

I doubt anyone was drinking that anyway since they used their hands to squeeze it without washing them first. It was just a challenge for the start of the race. I told my daughter that’s what I would’ve done rather than that wooden spoon. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I doubt anyone was drinking that anyway since they used their hands to squeeze it without washing them first. It was just a challenge for the start of the race. I told my daughter that’s what I would’ve done rather than that wooden spoon. 

Yeay i was surprised more of them didn't do that to the point I womdered if it was allowed.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, biakbiak said:

It looked awful - like some kind of half cooked rice pudding.

On the original Japanese Iron Chef show, the Chinese Iron Chef was known to always make fried rice with whatever the secret ingredient was.  Until it was pineapple week.  In the immortal words of Chen Kenichi "pineapple fried rice is disgusting!"

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

I hate to be like this, but I agree. Plus, $12 for a tuna sandwich (or any other really) is too much.

People do pay $12 and more for food truck sandwiches where I live, but that's for upscale ingredients, not a tuna sandwich.  Even if was tuna melt, that's still maybe the worst food truck item ever.  Apparently they didn't think it would matter.  And the neck tat guy was a terrible sales person. His mother said that he can sell anything. Well, that's a mother's love for you. They seemed totally clueless about everything, from food to sales strategy. Clearly not the future winner.

I was hoping that the team going home would be the one with the "stand-up comic" woman front person. Considering that she doesn't cook and her entire role is to attract customers,  I didn't hear her say a single funny thing. Her line in the talking head about Tyler Florence being her future baby Daddy was super creepy. Please stop.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, MerBearHou said:

I’m sure I’ll get nailed by posters for saying this, but big shock — the cute, outgoing, flirty all-female team won both challenges.  

I would never nail you for that, because it happens to be the truth. On this show we've always seen teams with at least one cute female drumming up business do well, regardless of their food. That's human nature. (at least when you're dealing with the male half of the population).

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, candall said:

Is Thighs & Buns the worst name in the history of the show?   Even the graphic artists threw up their hands.

"We're from Worst Cooks in America and we have a recipe for chicken wings!"  >woot!<

"Thighs and Buns." Yuck.

They may've been on Worst Cooks, but chicken wings is actually a really good concept for a food truck. People love wings, and it's finger food. Over the years, it seems the trucks that do the best have one item that they can just do variations on. Like that waffle truck last season.

When they were announcing the final scores, I realize that the teams were happy because they weren't eliminated. But please, you're actually cheering and high-fiving after Tyler announces how many hundreds of dollars you lost? If it was me, I just wouldn't sighed with relief and thanked my lucky stars that other trucks were even more incompetent. The wild celebrating was pretty ridiculous, IMO.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 9

Why was that guy trying to sell "Real beef from Texas"?  Not only was it untrue, but it's not a great selling point in California.

Don't they have to wear seat belts?

Thanks to the masterful editing at Food Network , it was obvious the Sassy truck was going home because she gave a tearful talking head halfway through.  I was sad because I liked them since they seemed like nice, supportive people and not totally OTT stereotypes.

• Love 7
On 7/29/2018 at 3:55 PM, bluepiano said:

People do pay $12 and more for food truck sandwiches where I live, but that's for upscale ingredients, not a tuna sandwich.  Even if was tuna melt, that's still maybe the worst food truck item ever.  Apparently they didn't think it would matter.  And the neck tat guy was a terrible sales person. His mother said that he can sell anything. Well, that's a mother's love for you. They seemed totally clueless about everything, from food to sales strategy. Clearly not the future winner.

I was hoping that the team going home would be the one with the "stand-up comic" woman front person. Considering that she doesn't cook and her entire role is to attract customers,  I didn't hear her say a single funny thing. Her line in the talking head about Tyler Florence being her future baby Daddy was super creepy. Please stop.

I would never nail you for that, because it happens to be the truth. On this show we've always seen teams with at least one cute female drumming up business do well, regardless of their food. That's human nature. (at least when you're dealing with the male half of the population).

"Thighs and Buns." Yuck.

They may've been on Worst Cooks, but chicken wings is actually a really good concept for a food truck. People love wings, and it's finger food. Over the years, it seems the trucks that do the best have one item that they can just do variations on. Like that waffle truck last season.

When they were announcing the final scores, I realize that the teams were happy because they weren't eliminated. But please, you're actually cheering and high-fiving after Tyler announces how many hundreds of dollars you lost? If it was me, I just wouldn't sighed with relief and thanked my lucky stars that other trucks were even more incompetent. The wild celebrating was pretty ridiculous, IMO.

Waffle Dudebros were a couple seasons ago. Maybe the one before the all Cali season we all hated?

• Love 1

I'm half-heartedly rooting for New England because I lived there and love it.

The blond-haired "guy" gave me the creeps.  He actually seemed like a nice person, but his looks were a turn-off. 

"Thighs and Buns" -- eeew!  I don't think I'd buy from that truck if they were serving my favorite lobster.  The name gives me the creeps, like they were offering sex with their food!

Is it my imagination, or is this show looking for the oddest, creepiest contestants it can find?  It's like they've purposely populated this show with oddballs and people who need showers and a makeover.  C'mon, FN.  Don't tell me that every truck food person looks like these people.  Aren't there a number of clean cut, young men and women, who are looking for a spot on your shows, including this one?  Who do they think is their audience for this?  The weirdos of America?  Tyler stands out like a sore thumb because he's the only person in sight who looks normal!

• Love 4

Are we supposed to believe that the two guys from "Worst Cooks" are now such fabulous cooks that they are worthy of a food truck?

Further proof that Food Network is where all of the fame whores go. There and Masterchef 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Are we supposed to believe that the two guys from "Worst Cooks" are now such fabulous cooks that they are worthy of a food truck?

They're not being asked to cook a ten course tasting menu at a 3 star restaurant.  Unless you're someone who can't boil water, you can learn to make some decent tasting, if unsophisticated, food truck food.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2018 at 11:10 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

Did anyone else notice that at the beginning of the show, Sassy Soul had Chops Shops money envelope?

I would have shaken my head at the ugly tattoo, but the idea of food truck tuna sandwich would have made me run. Tuna isn't exactly everyone's favorite thing ever and just sounded like food poisoning in the making. Plus, then you're out and smelling like tuna. It doesn't help momma seems to have raised two special snowflakes and is clueless. 

On 7/28/2018 at 2:55 PM, oldCJ said:

They squeezed it by hand, they already had their fingers all in it. 

I'm liking the wing guys, even though they were on WCIA. The Mu Shoo girls aren't bad either. But the other teams are all kind of annoying. The Chop Shop guy is just creepy to me, the Buns&Thighs people lose me just based not on their name alone, and the Lobster woman is obnoxious, while her sons are kind of useless. Sassy's group is already gone, so my thoughts on them don't matter. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

have shaken my head at the ugly tattoo, but the idea of food truck tuna sandwich would have made me run. Tuna isn't exactly everyone's favorite thing ever and just sounded like food poisoning in the making. Plus, then you're out and smelling like tuna. I

Not to mention the bit we saw of her making it had way too much mayo.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I would have shaken my head at the ugly tattoo, but the idea of food truck tuna sandwich would have made me run. Tuna isn't exactly everyone's favorite thing ever and just sounded like food poisoning in the making. Plus, then you're out and smelling like tuna. It doesn't help momma seems to have raised two special snowflakes and is clueless. 

I'm curious why tuna salad would equal food poisoning.

I wonder if the WCIA guys are using/adapting recipes they may have learned on that show.  If so, would that mean that they are actually using Tyler Florence's recipes to compete in a Tyler Florence show?  Or maybe they're using recipes they learned from Anne.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I wonder if the WCIA guys are using/adapting recipes they may have learned on that show.  If so, would that mean that they are actually using Tyler Florence's recipes to compete in a Tyler Florence show?  Or maybe they're using recipes they learned from Anne.

They are making wings with standard sauces, I block a lot of that show out but there doesn’t seem to be the case.

On 8/2/2018 at 12:52 AM, Lura said:

The weirdos of America?  Tyler stands out like a sore thumb because he's the only person in sight who looks normal!

He is the FN version of Marilyn from The Munsters. A normal person, oblivious to the weird creatures all around. 

On 8/3/2018 at 4:46 PM, OoogleEyes said:

Further proof that Food Network is where all of the fame whores go. There and Masterchef 

Further proof that WCIA is a total fraud, as we already knew. 

• Love 1

A few observations after watching the first episode.....

1 - I haven’t watched WCIA in a few years, due to its blatant BS premise and reliance on characters. But the fact that three   people managed to go from worst to competing in alleged culinary competition in a short time proves how phony WCIA really is. Although, thye seem somewhat normal, and wings are a perfect food truck product.

2 - The Heroes on A Half Shell, who don’t sell hero sammiches, and use what appears to be a meth addict ex-con as their salesman are delusional. As others have noted, if that dude tries to sell me anything, but especially food, I am heading far away. 

3 - The heavy Chop Shop guy reminds me of Ricky Smith from Storage Wars Texas. Sounds just like him. Seems like a nice enough guy.

4 - Sassy Soul, that pineapple monstrosity was not the kind of thing people are looking for from a food truck. They also seemed nice, and not too over the top, which coupled with their poor performance, meant an early exit.

5 - The New England crew, as has been mentioned, for a self proclaimed stand up comedienne, she has not said or done anything even remotely humorous. Not only that, but her voice while selling is nails on chalkboard annoying. Also, pot roast is not something I ever see onsliders, and is more associated with a winter dish, not a food truck LA hot weather dish. 

6 - The Moo  Shu girls seem like final three material at this point, although in their TH’s, the middle one always looks pissed. 

7 - In regards to the broken generator, and other mechanical issues, it does not seem fair that a contestant is made to suffer because the material they are,provided is defective. That reflects negatively on the show and producers. Same with  Sassy having her truck sputtering. Either adjust their time, or restart when things are repaired. 

8 - Maybe I misunderstood the challenge, but the beef consisted of 5 pounds at the auction. For ground chuck, considering 3-4 burgers per pound, that accounts for maybe 20 plates. For ribs, which maybe you can get two portions per pound, you are talking a total of ten plates, and actually much less seeing how high the plates Texas Bubba was sending out. Forget about oxtail, that was disgusting. So either thye were all given more than five pounds, or I missed the rules. 

• Love 3