Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Divine Dryads 2018.07.10

Since mythology is not really strong in my  mind, I went and looked up Dryads.  Think wood nympfs.  Lots and lots of them beautiful, some of them part tree, a few ugly faces, a fair number of nekkid breasts.  

When seen by mortals they often appear as incredibly beautiful women who are young yet have a strange sense of ancient timelessness to their mannerisms and expressions.

More than you might want to know but this shows the diversity of relationships with trees. 

Anyone want to take odds on how many truly beautiful makeups emerge?  I'd say two, and at least three with bark faces.

• Love 2

Matt's tree headdress was waaaaay too large. Reminded me a bit of the X Files mothman episode. No beauty makeup at all. Granted, it seems that beauty makeup doesn't seem to be taught to those attending makeup school. Funny how none of the facetestants go to volunteer at nursing homes, seniors lodges,  cancer wards, women's shelters to teach women about makeup. I've probably mentioned this before. I doubt that very few artists immediately do the aliens and monsters that Glenn and Neville do. They worked for years to do probably every sort of makeup job that exists.

Walter? won, I believe. His was all right.

I think one of the ones who went home did a bad makeup job on Megan the model. I still was half-expecting we'd see the last of Mel for the season.

There still continues to be a lack of 'wow, that was something special and spectacular' makeup jobs this season. Nothing has stood out in a good way or been memorable.  Or exceptional. Or I am just tired.

• Love 8

ugh, we're still stuck with Mel for ANOTHER 2 WEEKS!  what will it take to get rid of her, she's so out of her depth, all around.  Speaking of beauty make-up, the judges did put it out there that they need to know how to do beauty make-up to get anywhere in the industry.

• Love 8
(edited)

This challenge is right up my alley (I love both nature and mythology) and should have been full of amazing, beautiful tree ladies. Instead we get a few monsters, a few fish faces, and a couple of utter catastrophes. So damn disappointing.

Not a single one of these looks were fully successful IMO. Most had an element or two that I liked, but taken as a whole, yikes. Derek’s (?) had cool armor but I think a wig instead of a twig mohawk would have greatly improved it. Walter’s had a pretty paint job but the nose and mouth screamed amphibian to me, and certainly weren’t beautiful.

Why would you cover Megan in random pieces of bark makeup?! Especially her face? They should have sent him home for that. And really, I’m surprised they sent Graham home instead, considering he won last week. Once again the claims of taking both challenges into consideration go out the window when it suits the judges. Also, i’m sorry to see him go because he seems like a really nice guy who’s always having a blast no matter what he’s doing.

Matt’s was a giant mess (literally) and I find it telling they made very little mention of that. More proof in my eyes they’ve decided he’s their favorite.

Mel’s wasn’t bad but I thought it’d be better. I hate to see her go just because she’s the last woman.

Aaaaand we’re back to monsters next week. Peachy. I’m actually becoming more and more glad that this is the last season. Such a shame.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 10

Did I miss something or was there some reason Matt wasn't asked any questions when the judges talked to everyone else and he didn't come out with the other three losers at the end?  He's my favorite (despite the awful hair) so I was glad he was safe but I was puzzled when he seemed to be handled differently from the others.

• Love 2

Why can’t these people do beauty makeup? With this challenge, I was looking forward to beauty makeup, but noooo... Those beautiful models, especially Megan, should not have had their faces covered up. The ones the judges said were beautiful, IMO, weren’t. The last one, when they did the first line-up, looked like a drag queen because of the heavy jaw put on the model. This season has been so disappointing (I’m including the judging too).

1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

My favorite was Kevon but I was overruled by the judges.

Kevon’s dryad at least had a beautiful face.

• Love 7

Whoever chose the name for this episode has a really warped sense of humor.  Divine Dryads so far from divine as to be ludicrous and if they were going for alliteration, maybe dusty dryads, or down at their luck dryads for dryads that have lost their forests.

I can understand why Mel won her challenge: the face was pretty and the chest piece indicated she knows some botany.

Bristlecone Pine should have been so easy: just color her hair that gray and set it with lots of spray to look weathered.  Except these guys don't know what to do with hair.  Not their models and (snarkily) not their own. 

Just like the robot Chomp, they've forgotten that they are doing makeup/ not masks and that makeup needs to be able to move.  It also needs to be attention getting, sometimes in a good way.

They could also stand to go to a Bonsai Society meeting to learn about how trees are. 

This one should have been one to remember for all the good things.  Whoever suggested it was probably more disapointed than I was.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, mlp said:

Did I miss something or was there some reason Matt wasn't asked any questions when the judges talked to everyone else and he didn't come out with the other three losers at the end?  He's my favorite (despite the awful hair) so I was glad he was safe but I was puzzled when he seemed to be handled differently from the others.

I think they did a Top 2/Bottom 2 thing for questions and winner/elimination announcement.  Mel wasn't in there, either.  I think they usually only talk to people in contention for winning or elimination, so the middle people get a pass.  (Or at least in the edit we only see those...they could talk to everyone)

Has the "advantage" worked out for anyone this season?  At least for the ones I can remember, the person with the help has ended up losing that week's match-up.

Got a kick out of Neville using Megan's name in their close-up look.  The part you could see of her face was gorgeous & she was selling the heck out of it (as always).  The problem was....everything else!

I thought Walter's was beautiful from exactly the right angle, but notsomuch from others.  I did like the use of color, though.  I was worried they could really go wrong with the rainbow concept.

• Love 6

Damien remains my favourite of this bunch, so I'm glad he didn't get sent home, but I hope he learns his lesson about listening to Michael Westmore. He TOLD you not to cover up Megan's face, dude. Even with the face-covering, I still liked his makeup better than a lot of the others for the simple fact that he didn't feel the need to do tree-boobs.

I'm starting to think that winning the help from a professional is actually a curse. I think everyone who has had the help has lost their battle that week. Matt's was so bad. I'm assuming the reason he didn't land in the bottom three was either because he had won two in a row immediately before this challenge or (more likely) the judges didn't want to negatively critique the work of an "expert" who they brought in to "help". (The unfortunate paint job was all Matt, but they showed us the expert insisting that the cowl should be bigger, BIGGER, and they also showed him sculpting the face that the judges hated so much.)

I'm not generally a fan of Walter, but I did think he deserved the win this week.

• Love 6
(edited)

At the start I was thinking Matt's would look more like a older, traditional style of African hairstyle {see:https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/461830136767432495/} 

and thought it could have looked lovely but the model looked like a deranged mushroom instead. Of course a lot of them looked like ass this week.

I'm starting to think that winning the help from a professional is actually a curse. I think everyone who has had the help has lost their battle that week. Matt's was so bad. I'm assuming the reason he didn't land in the bottom three was either because he had won two in a row immediately before this challenge or (more likely) the judges didn't want to negatively critique the work of an "expert" who they brought in to "help". (The unfortunate paint job was all Matt, but they showed us the expert insisting that the cowl should be bigger, BIGGER, and they also showed him sculpting the face that the judges hated so much.)

I agree about the expert not seeming to help at all but I think that muddy paint job ruined it all. Light, pretty colors on the face and improvising instead of an inverted cone to paint the cowl like instead she had long, puffier hair that spread out with some nice "hair" accessories would have saved it.

I am glad that they've stopped whining about doing ethnic makeup but still there are those shocked and totally unprepared for beauty makeup? Even after already being on the show before? *harumphs*

Edited by Monty9
  • Love 3

It's such a shame that this is the last season for this show.  How sad to go out on such a downer note, considering some of the spectacular achievements we've seen throughout its run.  All I keep imagining is what this season would have been like if they'd created a stable of winners instead of "also rans" competing, but of course, all those folks are probably too busy being highly in demand in the industry to have time for this now.  Personally, there wasn't a single creation this week that I thought was all that great, and considering the beauty of the models they had to work with, it's especially disappointing.

• Love 7

This was disappointing.  Nothing really came close to what it should have been.  Seriously, you cover Megan's face in a beauty challenge?!  I was hoping for some beauty makeup, but they all really need to learn how to do beauty makeup, and its disappointing they've gone so monster-heavy this year.  I'm sorry Graham was sent home, especially since he won last week, and he acknowledged that he did not pull off what he wanted to do. 

I agree about the professional being more of a hindrance.  Jordu came in and sculpted a cool-looking headpiece and then basically dumped it on Matt to make it work, like he was on a set and could hand it off to the crew and have it done, as opposed to one person having to make it work in two days.  It should have been fabricated, or at least had dome kind of framework (would have loved to have seen what Emily from a few years ago could have done with hair like that), because the polyfoam was too heavy and was slipping to the back.

• Love 6

Here's how I generally watch the show this season:  Flip in at about 8:01pm to see what the challenge is, then flip back to either Rachel Maddow or Forged in Fire for half an hour; check in again at about 8:35pm to see if the reveal and judging has started.  I usually watch the judging as Ve, Glenn and Neville struggle to find something nice to say about the makeups.  It's so pathetic it's funny this year.  Once the critique is done I change channels again, as I have no interest in any of these contestants or their sad makeups.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lynxfx said:

Seams like they should have brought back the 2 hour foundation challenges they used to do early on. Make these artists get back to basics. 

Yes!  Whatever happened to those "quick fire" challenges?  I liked them, and I think it got the creative juices flowing.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Monty9 said:

At the start I was thinking Matt's would look more like a older, traditional style of African hairstyle {see:https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/461830136767432495/} 

and thought it could have looked lovely but the model looked like a deranged mushroom instead.

Oh yeah, in fact I'd say  deranged mushroom cloud.  When I saw the coming attractions last week for this episode, I thought the challenge was Garbage Pail Kids.

http://gpk.wikia.com/wiki/8

And so far it is true that expert help seems to just guarantee a bottom look.  Go figure.

Was it Damien that said in passing that Mel is especially known for her beauty makeups?  Too bad this week is the closest we came to seeing one from her

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Matt’s ginormous headpiece needed a framework to hold it up. It was slipping backwards.

yes, it was interesting to see Glen fiddling with it when they were doing the close-up judging.

Gee Matt, maybe you would've won your battle if you had put a bunch of frakking teeth on the top of that monstrosity! The running joke for the entire AAEBoiler family while watching this is to shout "add some teeth" whenever a contestant is frustrated with their design.

I was frustrated as well because I thought Kevon's design was cool. I understand the judges comment that some of the design elements didn't match the trees that he was supposed to emulate but at least he had a beauty makeup. His model's face looked stunning!

• Love 7
7 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

Gee Matt, maybe you would've won your battle if you had put a bunch of frakking teeth on the top of that monstrosity! The running joke for the entire AAEBoiler family while watching this is to shout "add some teeth" whenever a contestant is frustrated with their design.

I'm glad someone else was as appalled as I was with the out-of-place, extraneous teeth!  I'll never understand how anything won with that idiocy.  It was the sort of thing the judges would have ripped someone for previously.  OK - I get it, the judges have lost their teeth, therefore they reward teeth.

This show is sadly going out with a whimper.  Almost nothing is memorable or notable in a good way.  All these people are doing is demonstrating why they didn't win the season they were on.

Obviously, the pool of possible contestants dried up, but couldn't they have interesting challenges at least.  There would be a chance someone would rise to the occasion, instead the challenge is: Make a Monster.  Yawn,,,,

• Love 7
On 7/11/2018 at 12:15 PM, Lugal said:

I agree about the professional being more of a hindrance.  Jordu came in and sculpted a cool-looking headpiece and then basically dumped it on Matt to make it work, like he was on a set and could hand it off to the crew and have it done, as opposed to one person having to make it work in two days.  It should have been fabricated, or at least had dome kind of framework (would have loved to have seen what Emily from a few years ago could have done with hair like that), because the polyfoam was too heavy and was slipping to the back.

I think that this was really about Matt's weaknesses.  He didn't handle the molding right so the whole thing didn't have the strength to stand up straight.  Basically Jordu did 3 days of work for him and then Matt couldn't bring it home.  And I don't understand why he wasn't called out on it unless they were afraid that it would look like they were bad mouthing Jordu.

I did think it was funny that what saved Damien--Megan's lip makeup--was done by Megan.

• Love 6
On 7/11/2018 at 12:15 PM, Lugal said:

... (would have loved to have seen what Emily from a few years ago could have done with hair like that)...

I was thinking the same thing...and she could do beauty make-up, too!

• Love 5

The problem with the Jordu/Matt combo is that Matt should have reined Jordu in : I get being starstruck, esp. since Jordu is really talented in his field (his lifelike Grand Moff Tarkin bust is a thing of beauty), but as the contestant, there was a point where Matt should have told Jordu "I only have x hours to make this work and paint it once you're gone, let's not get crazy here".

That said, i'm not sure it really would have helped with the paint-job. I mean, when we had a quick glimpse of Jordu sculpting the face, I clearly remembered thinking it was gonna be a gorgeous dryad, and Matt had this one in the bag. But the final face just had nothing in common with the earlier sculpt, and looked muddy, fishy, and just ill-conceived.

Also, the huge unbalanced cowl really didn't help.

But then again, i've struggled with everything Matt has produced his season, despite the judges' praise and the somewhat-flattering editing (let's just say i won't be surprised if he wins the entire season...).

(overall, this season is still meh for me, and next week's Maritime Monsters' theme doesn't bode well...)

• Love 4
(edited)

I felt bad for Matt.  His 'expert' seemed kind of useless, made a ridiculous sculpture, and just spent all of his time joking around with Graham.  Not surprisingly, Graham went home too.

I don't understand why ?Damien and Kevon both chose to put giant arms on their dryads.  They were not beautiful, they just looked ridiculous and cumbersome.  

Edited by Token
  • Love 1
On 12/07/2018 at 6:30 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

Here's how I generally watch the show this season:  Flip in at about 8:01pm to see what the challenge is, then flip back to either Rachel Maddow or Forged in Fire for half an hour; check in again at about 8:35pm to see if the reveal and judging has started.  I usually watch the judging as Ve, Glenn and Neville struggle to find something nice to say about the makeups.  It's so pathetic it's funny this year.  Once the critique is done I change channels again, as I have no interest in any of these contestants or their sad makeups.

You are watching more than I, I'm watching the first few minutes to see what the challenge is and then fast forwarding to the reveal, sometimes hanging in there for the judges walk past then ff to see who gets booted. I watched every minute of previous seasons so this makes me kinda sad.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2018 at 9:16 PM, Toaster Strudel said:

My favorite was Kevon but I was overruled by the judges.

I also thought Kevon's was one of the better ones for sure. I liked the arms and wasn't sure what the judges didn't like about the head. At least her face was pretty.

Why why why would you ever cover up 3/4 of Megan's face on a beauty challenge? I mean, it's Megan, with a face that epitomizes effortless beauty and grace. She is so naturally gorgeous and is so emotive. Yeah, let's stick bark all over her lousy mug. I actually didn't mind the rest of it. I kind of liked the wood on her body and the black dots and stuff. Maybe if the face bark had been more on her head instead, it would have worked better.

And I just roll my eyes so hard when some of the guys are like "Duuuurh, beauty makeup? I is a dude. I don't know nuttin' 'bout no beauty makeup." This is your profession, is it not? Shouldn't you have at least some idea how to do all sorts of makeup? And they've been on the show before; they know very well that they will have to do beauty makeup at some point.

• Love 4