Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E19 Nicole & Ashley D

• Start Topic

Ashley hits an emotional wall and is desperate for skin surgery, but she is not losing any weight. After being evicted, Nicole is forced to move back to Ohio, which could impact her weight loss journey. 

This week's returning Poundticipants are Nicole, everyone's favorite Juggalo, and Ashley D., who is getting yet another follow up.  Ashley has a non-supportive husband who is packing serious poundage himself.  Nicole was hosed down on her back porch by her boyfriend. She is a proud Juggalo whose family is one big ol' mess o' dysfunction.

Break out the Faygo!  Put on your best clown posse face makeup!  It's follow up time!

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Poor Ashley hanging out in a bowling alley wearing her pretty new outfit. I thought she looked very nice, hubby should have taken her out for dinner.

Yep. He could have worn his nice over-alls. 

• Love 12
39 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Poor Ashley hanging out in a bowling alley wearing her pretty new outfit. I thought she looked very nice, hubby should have taken her out for dinner.

They have restaurants at bowling alleys. That's probably fancy eating for them. 

• Love 7

Hello Pounders. I'd planned to make the live chat,  but things didn't work out as planned. I met friends earlier in the evening for some wine and whine (aka girl talk). Since it's a lovely evening, I drove my sweet little ragtop. On the way home, I went to shift from second to third, and the clutch went all the way to the floor. So I limped into Aldi's parking lot and called AAA and husband. So I missed it.

I did read the live chat thread. Sounds like Nicole and Charlie are still Juggalos, Nicole sti stuffs herself with crap food, Charlie 's mouth is still open, and her family is still a train wreck.

• Love 8

I found Ashley a bit tiresome.  She was always so stressed about everything.  If I had taken a shot every time she said "stressed", I would have been on the floor.  At least find a different word to use occasionally.  Nicole was a hot mess.  She was always contradicting herself.  On the drive back to Ohio, she said that Charlie had a disorder where he fell asleep easily.  Then a bit later she is complaining that he isn't awake and supporting her while she was driving.  At the truck stop, she started the fight by yelling at him and then yells at him to not yell in front of her kids.  Those poor kids...

• Love 19

I felt really sorry for Nicole. First raised by drug addicted parents, then a failed marriage, I think? Charlie isn't the kids' father, he's her boyfriend from what I remember. Then her father getting arrested and in jail, and finding out he has terminal cancer. Plus, didn't they get evicted to? I'm a little puzzled as to why they couldn't get their own place and stay in Houston, even though she said they couldn't afford it, I don't know that Ohio has a lower cost of living but it had something to do with Charlie's job. I think the therapy finally did help her to the point where she was able to continue losing enough weight to qualify for skin removal, even if we didn't get to see it. She lost over 350 lbs under extraordinary circumstances.

Ashley had done really well on Dr. Now's program. Going from 725 lbs to under 300 by the time she had her skin removal surgery is nothing short of remarkable. I believe I heard she had 41 lbs removed from her stomach with the skin removal, my jaw dropped at that number. I actually went back to Comcast on Demand to see the beginning of Ashley's story, and I'd forgotten she too had a drug addict for a mom. They were staying at the babysitter's a lot as kids, and at age 6 she was molested by the babysitter's husband , which went on for years. Then her mother dropped her and her siblings off with their dad when she was 9 and took off. Her mom eventually got clean and came back into her life but was gone for many years. I feel Ashley had a tremendous amount of stress to deal with growing up and I'm really happy for her success.

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, CarolMK said:

Plus, didn't they get evicted to? I'm a little puzzled as to why they couldn't get their own place and stay in Houston

I think I heard her say that no other apartment in Houston would rent to them because they were evicted due to the drug activity.

• Love 5

I feel SO BAD for Ashley's adorable children.  Charlie's mouth breathing along with narcolepsy makes me think that he's probably got sleep apnea as well, so he'd got to get it together.  He's pretty large as well.  When they were fighting in the car, I cringed.  Those poor babies, man.  

I had trouble distinguishing the patients as well, both were SO WHINY.  The excuse of being on the road is old and played out.  Go to a supermarket and get a salad.  Get precooked chicken.  Being without a kitchen doesn't mean you've got to freebase popcorn chicken and Polynesian sauce.  Goddamn.  

Ashley is trying to keep her kids from being obese and old mouth breather doesn't seem to get it.  I feel bad for her.  Maybe she feels like she's stuck because no one else will want to take on her kids and crazy dysfunctional family.

• Love 8

One of the inadvertently  funny moments for me was before the car fight.

Nicole: I have to drive because Charlie has a problem where he falls asleep

Nicole: Charlie isn't helping me at all on this drive.  All he does is sleep.  

Me:  You don't say! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
22 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

If my DirecTV guide is correct, I think we get a third-year follow-up on our adorable Brittani next week - she of the disarming smile and sweet disposition!

I hope so, she was one of my favourites!  Not so much these two, I was shocked that Dr. Now approved Ashley for skin removal because you could see she still had a HUGE amount of fat in that sagging skin!  No wonder she lost so much when he removed it.  I have no words for Nicole and MouthBreather except as everyone has pointed out those poor children don’t stand a chance.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

Am I the only one that thinks Nicole's mom looks like something that came straight out of Jim Henson's studio?

I thought she looked somewhat inhuman.  Those eyes were very weird.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

One of the inadvertently  funny moments for me was before the car fight.

Nicole: I have to drive because Charlie has a problem where he falls asleep

Nicole: Charlie isn't helping me at all on this drive.  All he does is sleep.  

Me:  You don't say! 

Heh...I was going to comment on that in the live chat but everything was moving so fast!

And did he say something during the argument about not being able to open the car door? Did he climb in through the window or something?

• Love 6

This episode seemed to end so abruptly. I felt like I was left hanging with Nicole’s story. Hopefully she also lost enough to qualify for skin removal surgery. 

And Ashley lost 41lbs. of skin after her surgery, but we didn’t see much past that.

Neither one was close to their goal weight. Maybe they’ll have one more follow up episode. Even though neither one was very likeable, I’d like to know if they continued with their weight loss.  

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Heh...I was going to comment on that in the live chat but everything was moving so fast!

And did he say something during the argument about not being able to open the car door? Did he climb in through the window or something?

It looked like the handle didn't work from the inside on the passenger front door, and had to be opened from the outside. And since I only ever saw them doing that from the inside by reaching through the open window of the door BEHIND them, I'm guessing the window of the front passenger side door didn't lower. Therefore my guess was, since Charlie was sitting in the front, and the window behind him was closed, he wasn't able to reach the window crank of the door behind him so he could reach out and open his own door. Lol sorry if I didn't explain it well, but that's why I think he couldn't open his own door.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, NeitherSparky said:

It looked like the handle didn't work from the inside on the passenger front door, and had to be opened from the outside. And since I only ever saw them doing that from the inside by reaching through the open window of the door BEHIND them, I'm guessing the window of the front passenger side door didn't lower. Therefore my guess was, since Charlie was sitting in the front, and the window behind him was closed, he wasn't able to reach the window crank of the door behind him so he could reach out and open his own door. Lol sorry if I didn't explain it well, but that's why I think he couldn't open his own door.

That makes sense. Against my better judgment (and because there's nothing else on at the moment) I'm watching the supersize episode (only until 9:00). They're at the hotel getting her fix to relieve the stress of driving while the kids toddle around in diapers. I guess the screaming match is coming up soon. I'll try to watch closer and see.

OMG. Okay, just started watching this episode but simply had to pause and pop in here so I didn't forget this instant classic from Nicole on why she has to do all the long hours of driving: "Charlie has this condition where he falls asleep easily." belly-laugh.gif

• Love 5
(edited)

Supersize bonus scene: Charlie gets her a fast food grilled chicken sandwich. And fries for himself. "You'll be proud of me, I didn't get pop this time. I got Hi-C!" Uhh... (At least she points out that it's still pure sugar.)

I feel like they cut the screaming match in the car. Wasn't that before they moved into their new place in Ohio? I am strangely disappointed, if so.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5

That Charlie is quite the sparkling conversationalist, isn't he? And I agree with everyone who said, "Those poor kids." They really don't have much of a chance in life. In one scene where the little boy was shirtless, it looked like he had a huge belly. They really deserve better, but I don't see Nicole and slack-jawed Charlie providing it.

• Love 15
19 minutes ago, ShoePrincess said:

That Charlie is quite the sparkling conversationalist, isn't he? 

Someone on Reddit commented that he's probably the most stable one of the bunch, too. And sadly they're probably right.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, WhitneyWhit said:

Did she....just pick a hamburger patty with cheese on it and eat it?

Yes, she did. I don't understand why these people can't put food on an actual plate and use knives and forks. That might help their efforts to lose weight.

Just now, ams1001 said:

Someone on Reddit commented that he's probably the most stable one of the bunch, too. And sadly they're probably right.

Very sad.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

They have restaurants at bowling alleys. That's probably fancy eating for them. 

That is fair but hubby was still wearing the overall uniform while Ashley made such an effort to look nice. No judgement on dinner choices and nothing wrong with a fun night out at the bowling alley (I like it myself) but Ashley looked overdressed to me, like she really made an effort and expected a little more from date night. 

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

This episode seemed to end so abruptly. I felt like I was left hanging with Nicole’s story. Hopefully she also lost enough to qualify for skin removal surgery. 

And Ashley lost 41lbs. of skin after her surgery, but we didn’t see much past that.

Neither one was close to their goal weight. Maybe they’ll have one more follow up episode. Even though neither one was very likeable, I’d like to know if they continued with their weight loss.  

They’re both starting to look a lot better.

Happy to see Ashley buying new clothes.

Nicole’s actually getting really good with makeup. I thought hers looked really nice. 

Nicole has a pretty face. Glad she didn’t inherit her mom’s tiny skull 

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, CarolMK said:

I felt really sorry for Nicole. First raised by drug addicted parents, then a failed marriage, I think? Charlie isn't the kids' father, he's her boyfriend from what I remember. Then her father getting arrested and in jail, and finding out he has terminal cancer. Plus, didn't they get evicted to? I'm a little puzzled as to why they couldn't get their own place and stay in Houston, even though she said they couldn't afford it, I don't know that Ohio has a lower cost of living but it had something to do with Charlie's job. I think the therapy finally did help her to the point where she was able to continue losing enough weight to qualify for skin removal, even if we didn't get to see it. She lost over 350 lbs under extraordinary circumstances.

Ashley had done really well on Dr. Now's program. Going from 725 lbs to under 300 by the time she had her skin removal surgery is nothing short of remarkable. I believe I heard she had 41 lbs removed from her stomach with the skin removal, my jaw dropped at that number. I actually went back to Comcast on Demand to see the beginning of Ashley's story, and I'd forgotten she too had a drug addict for a mom. They were staying at the babysitter's a lot as kids, and at age 6 she was molested by the babysitter's husband , which went on for years. Then her mother dropped her and her siblings off with their dad when she was 9 and took off. Her mom eventually got clean and came back into her life but was gone for many years. I feel Ashley had a tremendous amount of stress to deal with growing up and I'm really happy for her success.

I agree. Nicole is working hard to give her kids the life she didn’t have. Does she know all the right stuff to do yet? Of course not, but she’s working really hard! Right now she needs to keep her focus on getting healthy and then everything else will flow from that.

Ashley has been through a lot, too, and she’s working very hard. 

Both of these women are so young.

• Love 3

I don’t know if it’s the voice teacher in me but the flat affect in these voiceovers kills me. I realize they are probably reading from a prepared script but it’s still their own words. Why can’t TLC spring for a little voice coaching?

“I lost 300 lbs I’m so happy..” ??

“I’m so mad cause Dr. Now doesn’t realize how hard I’m trying...” ??

”My husband/wife and I are finally starting to have a real marriage and it’s amazing...” ??

• Love 15

The Supersized version last night was very different from Wednesday's show. All the bonus scenes were of Nicole, and all the scenes that were edited out were also Nicole. No shrieking at the gas station. No therapy appointment. Charlie's job was mentioned. Charlie and Nicole had adult discussions that weren't filled with yelling and screaming. I think all the new scenes were from after they arrived back in Ohio. A couple of times her voiceovers in the bonus scenes directly contradicted things she said in the voiceovers for the other scenes. I came away from it liking her a lot more than I had initially and wondering just which version was the "real" Nicole. I've never seen such a difference between the Supersized and the regular episode before. Very weird.

• Love 9

Calories are calories. Your body doesn't care where they come from, just how many you consume vs how many you burn.

In virtually all cases, obesity is down to eating too much (via large portion sizes) and laziness. Too many excuses from both women .

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Both cases  seem to harp on the need for skin surgery ,at their weight they both will have to have it over and over if they ever get to a normal weight. Meanwhile their children are the real victims of senseless parents.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Miracle Maxie said:

Charlie's job was mentioned.

Did they mention what kind of job he had? Because that Gas Station Freak Out was oddly revealing in that Nicole started screaming at Charlie because he wouldn't get her wheelchair out of the car—this after she told Dr Now she no longer uses it. Then, she screamed Charlie that he's never had a job but yet we're told they up and high-tailed it out of Houston so Charlie could get back his "old job" that was going to pay him $3 more per hour. How did Charlie, after being on his new job for only a month, get time off to fly back to Houston for Nicole's appointment and visit with her jailed father? There's a whole lot of something that we're not being told here, I think—just like from the first episode where Nicole lamented her father never came to visit her in the hospital (I think she kept saying he "disappeared") even though it later came out that he was in prison during that time. Oh, and then they claimed they had no money to live in Houston but roll into Ohio, have to pay for a storage facility and a hotel accommodations AND find a pretty nice house to live in. I don't understand how any of that couldn't be accomplished living in Houston. 

Nicole's entire segment left me feeling sad. This is generational poverty and dysfunction at its very finest. Her poor kids are doomed to follow in the footsteps of addiction and chaos just like the entire family has. I really wish this show was an actual documentary series. An inside look at the day-to-day life of this family would have been fascinating. 

Ashely is a lovely person. I hope she continues to lost weight and find a happy life for herself; she deserves it. 

Nicole's drug addicted now incarcerated  father seems to be the only rational member of the family ,talk about dysfunctional ...If they were my family I think i would take drugs too..lol... or at least drink ...! A Lot

• Love 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, JJ1 said:

I think I heard her say that no other apartment in Houston would rent to them because they were evicted due to the drug activity.

So, do the places that rent in Ohio not have the same policy?  It seems to me that when her mom wanted to move in with her, after her dad went to prison, she might have refused and said, that she COULD NOT allow it, due to the terms of her lease.  Of course, maybe, her mom wouldn't be in the drug business without her husband's input. but, I'd be hesitant that the landlord would hear and evict. 

It seems that these patients are so easily overwhelmed.  I suppose that if you are used to lying in bed and having everything done for you from serving you food, bathing your body and wiping your butt, that it's a strain when you have to get out and run errands, cook a meal or pay a bill. Everything seems to be too much to handle. 

I was glad to see some awareness of how healthy eating is important for the children.  That is often ignored.  When a parent goes through that journey with super morbid obesity, surgery, etc., and then serves their child a happy meal on a daily basis.....it boggles the mind.  

I really would like for the show to demonstrate how much time it takes to go to the market, purchase a lean protein and veggies, return home, cook and serve. And, if the right foods are in the fridge, you can prepare them daily, instead of trips through the fast food line.  Somehow, these patients often feel that fast food is a better deal.....I don't get it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was glad to see some awareness of how healthy eating is important for the children.  That is often ignored.  When a parent goes through that journey with super morbid obesity, surgery, etc., and then serves their child a happy meal on a daily basis.....it boggles the mind.  

Elephants don't raise Gazelles...

• Love 7
Just now, AVM said:

Elephants don't raise Gazelles...

Yeah, I get it.  It's so frustrating though.  I do see some very obese parents who have thin children, though, but, those thin children could grow up to not be so thin.  I do think that genetics are a major factor too. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I get it.  It's so frustrating though.  I do see some very obese parents who have thin children, though, but, those thin children could grow up to not be so thin.  I do think that genetics are a major factor too. 

I have  a elderly couple neighbors both reed thin,but their three adult children are huge ,not Dr,Now patient  big ,but the three are short and at least 100lbs over weight.

• Love 1

Obesity is definitely complex.  I do find that a lot of the excuses given though are not as valid as we might believe. I have family members who are quite obese. Their child started out normal size, then after age 5 became obese.  They claimed it was her metabolism, medications, etc.  I didn't buy it because they fed the child a steady diet of pizza, tacos, burgers, candy, anything fast food, etc.   But, when the child went on a medically supervised, highly regimented diet, she lost weight and became thin.  She was also much more energetic, flexible, and had endurance.  So....... 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

That is fair but hubby was still wearing the overall uniform while Ashley made such an effort to look nice. No judgement on dinner choices and nothing wrong with a fun night out at the bowling alley (I like it myself) but Ashley looked overdressed to me, like she really made an effort and expected a little more from date night. 

ITA sainte-chapelle.  Although I am very happy that Ashley is trying really hard to maintain her "progress," I see dark clouds looming over this family's future. Not only does hubby seem stuck in his overalls but at no point that I can recall did he ever express any interest in joining Ashley on her weight loss "journey." He never, ever uttered a word about being quite obese himself.

Exactly how is that going to work out as time goes on? Ashley keeps on preparing and eating healthy meals and losing weight while Farmer Brown continues bringing home and eating fast food, junk food, etc. getting bigger and bigger by the day--looks to be pushing 400 pounds to me. How is she going to get her son to want to eat lean proteins and vegetables when her husband is eating as much pizza, cookies, candy or whatever unhealthy foods he consumes in vast quantities? Kids being kids, a cheeseburger, milkshake, and fries will probably win out over a chicken and vegetable stir fry.

And how will their relationship change as she becomes thinner and thinner, dressing nicer, and maybe even catching the eye of other men while her man hurdles head-long towards 500 pounds? Will she still even find him physically attractive?

Might be tough times ahead for them.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, AVM said:

Calories are calories. Your body doesn't care where they come from, just how many you consume vs how many you burn.

In virtually all cases, obesity is down to eating too much (via large portion sizes) and laziness. Too many excuses from both women .

To some extent that’s true, but there’s also the hormonal implications to consider.  The higher carb content you eat (for those of us who have an exaggerated insulin response) the more insulin your body produces and the less fat you’ll be able to burn off.  Still I agree that when they aren’t making progress they are overeating as well as eating the wrong things.  

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

ITA sainte-chapelle.  Although I am very happy that Ashley is trying really hard to maintain her "progress," I see dark clouds looming over this family's future. Not only does hubby seem stuck in his overalls but at no point that I can recall did he ever express any interest in joining Ashley on her weight loss "journey." He never, ever uttered a word about being quite obese himself.

Exactly how is that going to work out as time goes on? Ashley keeps on preparing and eating healthy meals and losing weight while Farmer Brown continues bringing home and eating fast food, junk food, etc. getting bigger and bigger by the day--looks to be pushing 400 pounds to me. How is she going to get her son to want to eat lean proteins and vegetables when her husband is eating as much pizza, cookies, candy or whatever unhealthy foods he consumes in vast quantities? Kids being kids, a cheeseburger, milkshake, and fries will probably win out over a chicken and vegetable stir fry.

And how will their relationship change as she becomes thinner and thinner, dressing nicer, and maybe even catching the eye of other men while her man hurdles head-long towards 500 pounds? Will she still even find him physically attractive?

Might be tough times ahead for them.

Kids need fats  and carbs in their diet for brain and body development ,Ashley not being the sharpest knife in drawer should not be just feeding her child her weight control diet ...

Edited by AVM
  • Love 1