Type keyword(s) to search

Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours To Hell And Back - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was chagrined to recognize the restaurant they did in NOLA this week. I ate there with my husband and sisters in law close to a decade ago. It wasn't good even then but I am hoping it was cleaner under the previous owners (the guy in the episode said he hadn't owned it that long, if I remember correctly). Eek.

• Love 2

I don't know why I enjoy seeing disgusting restaurants but I do, so I've been loving this so much. The rats, the dead mouse in the toaster, the disgusting frozen food, the roaches. That was so gross and so entertaining.

I will say, the owner of the Coffee Pot place was not a good boss but he has my sympathy since his life was a total disaster. Still, when they showed the firing, I was not impressed. He wasn't clear at all at first. Like, step up because no matter how hard it might be for him, it's going to be worse for the person losing their job, even when it's justified.

• Love 6

She was interesting - she seemed totally devoted to him and helping him, yet she was also always leaving work and keeping disgusting habits in the kitchen ... so it's like, was she really there to help him?? Very weird. I feel like they had a complicated relationship - he said "hard road" so I figure maybe he helped her get back on her feet once and she felt she owed him.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I don't know why I enjoy seeing disgusting restaurants but I do, so I've been loving this so much. The rats, the dead mouse in the toaster, the disgusting frozen food, the roaches. That was so gross and so entertaining.

yeah, it almost makes me feel good about not being able to afford to eat out.  

• Love 10

Related to the title, why hasn’t GR done a Worst Cooks knockoff? Drop Masterchef Kids and do that instead in a similar format to the current season of MC but with more on screen mentoring.

Did anyone catch the first episode? The Italian restaurant with putrid veal and ancient mystery meats in the freezer?  That guy was a disaster.  Screaming at everyone one minute, then crying and blubbering about how he disappointed daddy the next.  

As fo the NOLA ep, I felt bad for the guy, but come on!  The woman he put in charge of cooking, managing front of house and general manager was way out of her depth if she couldn’t poach an egg.  I am sorry she lost her job, but if he wants to succeed, she shouldn’t be involved.  The other older ladies waiting tables appeared to be super lazy and attitude trouble too!

Just like the dumps shown in Kitchen Nightmares, I cannot imagine ever stepping foot in these places after seeing what goes on in the food prep and storage areas.  I don’t believe for a minute that these sad sack owners suddenly see the light and follow all the food safety laws they blatantly and willfully ignored for years. 

• Love 23
12 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I don’t believe for a minute that these sad sack owners suddenly see the light

You mean you don't believe the Six Minute Miracle where in all of these shows (Kitchen Nightmares, Hotel Impossible, Hoarders, etc.) the horrors of the first 54 minutes are all resolved and everybody lives happily ever after?

• Love 12
6 hours ago, vibeology said:

I will say, the owner of the Coffee Pot place was not a good boss but he has my sympathy since his life was a total disaster. Still, when they showed the firing, I was not impressed. He wasn't clear at all at first. Like, step up because no matter how hard it might be for him, it's going to be worse for the person losing their job, even when it's justified.

I love it too!  I like this shorter version of Nightmares.  We know they had cleaning and decorating crews but we were not dragged through the process.  Kudos on that one.  

That firing scene was heavily edited and rehearsed. You know there had to be more to it. 

I deleted but yelp will tell us if any of these places survived. 

• Love 5

Yeah, I was really into The Old Coffee Pot ep because I adore the French Quarter in all its touristy obviousness.  How can you fault a culture that gives you a go-cup for your leftover (alcoholic) beverages?

I felt bad for the owner and his weird family dynamic (27-year-old wife getting knocked up by 19-year-old neighbor and dumping hub and kids).  As our old buddy Dave Barry used to say "I am not making this up!".

I even felt bad for hapless Dawn.  

Is anyone keeping tally of Gordon's expenditures?  Last week he gave the owner $100,000 worth of upgraded equipment.  This week he saturation-bombed the property and gave them some new utensils.

Enquiring minds want to know.

• Love 2

(Copying my own comments from the "Masterchef (US): Gordon Ramsey: Damn!" thread.)

I watched the first episode. Meh. The chefs stayed up all night learning the new menu. So, Shock. Surprise. They messed up a bit. I couldn't believe that many people ordered veal. There were lots of gagging noises as GR smelled rotten food in the kichen. Next week looks even more gross. Rodents.

Dawn seemed like a nice lady, but she truly was a hawt mess in the kitchen. She seemed like she may have had some other... issues, too. All that leaving the restaurant to go home made me think: drugs. She couldn't make things that were already on the menu. I've never tried to make Hollandaise, but even I can poach an egg. I was so frustrated watching her crack the eggs directly into the hot water. Somebody get the lady a bowl FCS! When the one guy wanted to go hug her, I was like awww.... But, when the rest of the staff learned she was let go, they clearly thought it was the right decision.

9 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Yeah, I was really into The Old Coffee Pot ep because I adore the French Quarter in all its touristy obviousness.  How can you fault a culture that gives you a go-cup for your leftover (alcoholic) beverages?

I felt bad for the owner and his weird family dynamic (27-year-old wife getting knocked up by 19-year-old neighbor and dumping hub and kids).  As our old buddy Dave Barry used to say "I am not making this up!".

I even felt bad for hapless Dawn.  

Is anyone keeping tally of Gordon's expenditures?  Last week he gave the owner $100,000 worth of upgraded equipment.  This week he saturation-bombed the property and gave them some new utensils.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Poor guy. His ex-wife sounds like a piece of work. I know it's 2018, but I'm giving her a real side-eye ? because the father has full custody. IJS. How loving were his little munchkins, though?! They were all over him with kisses & cuddles!! 

I hope Dawn landed another gig more suited to her skillset. 

I'm still mad about that soft-boiled Eggs Benedict when GR was sitting with the band. Smh. Just wrong.

• Love 1

OK - I am calling BS on the toaster mouse - unless that toaster hasn't been used for some time.  Because not a single hair on that cute little mousie's body was even singed.  So Gordon's table's toast either came from another appliance, or the whole thing was as fake as anything else he's done for Fox.

• Love 14
(edited)

You are exactly right, I called BS on this in another thread before this thread was set up. No singeing, no charring, probably the toaster had been in the back of a storage room for months or years.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 5
(edited)

I initially mentioned the following when this show was still in the request forum stage, but I almost peed myself when the cameraman started "coughing" uncontrollably and looked as if he was about to fall forward, camera in hand.

So over the top.

That said I'm enjoying the show since Kitchen Nightmares is no longer a thing.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5
(edited)

I called BS on the mouse in another thread too, only I am still suspecting fakery and a planted dead mouse as opposed to an unused toaster.

And despite my grumbling I am enjoying this show as I've missed "Kitchen Nightmares" since it went off the air.  Does anyone know why that show ended?  I always thought it was Ramsay's decision, not ratings, but as it followed the "Amy's Baking Company" debacle I suspected that Ramsay was tired of the BS, perhaps partly because the show may have gotten tied up in legal action brought against it by the crazy owners.  Just my speculation there.

20 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Poor guy. His ex-wife sounds like a piece of work. I know it's 2018, but I'm giving her a real side-eye ? because the father has full custody. IJS. How loving were his little munchkins, though?! They were all over him with kisses & cuddles!! 

Oh, you're far more generous than I am.  I agree and felt sorry for him, but I'm not letting him completely off the hook as he seems a bit clueless and easily taken in by someone that would do that kind of thing to him.  And then there's how he let the restaurant go to shit too, so he's not exactly making the best choices in life himself.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I initially mentioned the following when this show was still in the request forum stage, but I almost peed myself when the cameraman started "coughing" uncontrollably and looked as if he was about to fall forward, camera in hand.

So over the top.

That said I'm enjoying the show since Kitchen Nightmares is no longer a thing.

Why didnt we see the POV from the camera as he was "fainting" lol

58 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

And despite my grumbling I am enjoying this show as I've missed "Kitchen Nightmares" since it went off the air.  Does anyone know why that show ended?  I always thought it was Ramsay's decision, not ratings, but as it followed the "Amy's Baking Company" debacle I suspected that Ramsay was tired of the BS, perhaps partly because the show may have gotten tied up in legal action brought against it by the crazy owners.  Just my speculation there.

I'm sure he was sick of all the BS since most of the owners went back to their old ways like a week or so later..we'll probably see the same things happen here as the season goes on

• Love 3

I was hoping Justin could find SOME position for Dawn, if not manager/chef. Hell, let her waitress or prep at least, toss her a bone. She is not young and as he indicated, had a 'hard road'. Justin's dad looked like he could use some help in prepping those chickens.

• Love 10
(edited)

Ramsay folded 'Kitchen Nightmares' on his own, that much I knew from a previous interview at the time. However, as this article states, he regrets it, hence the new show. He said he was tired of going in and helping out, only to have owners go back to what got them effed in the first place. 

I do like the tricked out truck. I didn't know you could get a TV screen that big on a vehicle.

I think I like the show. I was worried about what they can do in 24 hours, but it's obvious that a lot of work is done before Ramsay gets there (looking at a service, checking out the physical aspects of the restaurant, getting a feel for staff dynamics, etc.).  

Edited by aliya
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, aliya said:

(looking at a service, checking out the physical aspects of the restaurant, getting a feel for staff dynamics, etc.).  

Or getting permits. Oops, this is Gordon Ramsey, Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits!

• Love 3

I think I've missed the set up for the show. Do restaurant owners sign up for some help, they just don't know it's GR or what?  I mean, that's a big friggin' rig they driving around. It would be hard to miss them rolling up in the parking lot. : )

• Love 2
3 hours ago, aliya said:

I think I've missed the set up for the show. Do restaurant owners sign up for some help, they just don't know it's GR or what?  I mean, that's a big friggin' rig they driving around. It would be hard to miss them rolling up in the parking lot. : )

It is unclear, just like how they allegedly place hidden surveillance cameras in the restaurants ... ;-)

• Love 5
15 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

By the way - I've never seen Gordo smoke a cigar or sip a brandy ...  just sayin'.

Also, The F Word remains his best show.

He came to America, got Foxed, botoxed and obnoxed.

Yeah agreed. He is mostly genuine on the brit shows, on the american shows he plays up being the drama dick.

54 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

It is unclear, just like how they allegedly place hidden surveillance cameras in the restaurants ... ;-)

they advise the owners they are doing a restaurant reality show i believe, not a show makeover. how these owners buy that carp i do not know.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, aliya said:

Ramsay folded 'Kitchen Nightmares' on his own, that much I knew from a previous interview at the time. However, as this article states, he regrets it, hence the new show. He said he was tired of going in and helping out, only to have owners go back to what got them effed in the first place. 

I do like the tricked out truck. I didn't know you could get a TV screen that big on a vehicle.

I think I like the show. I was worried about what they can do in 24 hours, but it's obvious that a lot of work is done before Ramsay gets there (looking at a service, checking out the physical aspects of the restaurant, getting a feel for staff dynamics, etc.).  

I admit I'm fond of Gordon no matter what he does.  But he must have gotten tired of failing owners (restaurant and hotels) expecting a cash infusion so they could sell their businesses.

Irvine did this all the time, and there's little affection for Irvine and his sledge hammer.  I'm glad Gordon's back.  I always enjoy watching him, especially when he calls people "donuts" and "muppets".  ROTFLMAO.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I admit I'm fond of Gordon no matter what he does.  But he must have gotten tired of failing owners (restaurant and hotels) expecting a cash infusion so they could sell their businesses.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way! I think it’s because I’ve come to realize that his being an arsehole on his American shows is an act. I’ve seen him on The F Word and on FB when he’s showing how to make something.  And he’s very funny and charming.

• Love 10

I just wanna know how Gordon stays so wide awake and on the ball after 24 hours of no sleep, or if he's secretly napping in the trailer for six-eight hours while the staff does the work. Because I've been awake for that long and it's awful. No amount of coffee helps. Also, seems like they're setting the staff (the ones who are forced to stay up) up for failure by expecting them to do well with the changes being that tired.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, rideashire said:

I just wanna know how Gordon stays so wide awake and on the ball after 24 hours of no sleep, or if he's secretly napping in the trailer for six-eight hours while the staff does the work. Because I've been awake for that long and it's awful. No amount of coffee helps. Also, seems like they're setting the staff (the ones who are forced to stay up) up for failure by expecting them to do well with the changes being that tired.

I wondered about that with the older servers from the Coffee Pot. Those ladies were in their 60's and 70's. I'm 64 and would have a hard time staying up for 24 hrs and working all of that time.  Do they let them eat? Plus, some people would need somebody to pick the kid from day care or whatever. I'd really need to take some time and come back in 3 hours. : )

• Love 5
23 hours ago, rideashire said:

As I pointed out in the 24 forum, this show is 24 with Gordon Ramsay as Jack Bauer. They even used the same split screens and the same beep boop beep when the timer was counting down. Jack Bauer never stopped to take a shit either.

• Love 2

In my job, there are periodic instances where product testing requires 24+ hours of commitment.  I basically run on adrenaline, stress hormones, caffeine, and sheer will.  And carbs.  Sometimes I have seven straight days of fourteen hour shifts where I'm up at 2:30AM, working, then when I'm "off" I'm still at my remote location continuing to interface with co-workers and vendors and regulators so it is like a 24 hour straight stint for days on end.

Other times, it can be a very concentrated 24+ hours of constant work and decisions and coordination then done.  Carbs, baby!  My longest continuous stint was 28 straight hours.  I had a fantastic boss at the time.  He let me spread the 20 hours of overtime over a couple days so I was rewarded for the effort and sacrifice rather than charging some of it as straight time when I rolled into the next day since our accounting system can't deal with chargeable OT hours rolling over to the next start of scheduled shift.  Even though that next day--after the test sequence was completed--I was actually passed out in my hotel room during the majority of that 8 hour straight time shift.

So in my experience, the work/life balance gets screwed up for a while, which includes needing extra restorative time and understanding from Mr. HV, management, family and friends.  And me.

Soooo....It is doable, and if you're someone who operates normally at high energy levels like Gordon Ramsay (not me!), probably just a small extra effort.  For others, it is a special occasion you just knuckle up for and plotz flat later.  For others, it could be impossible.  Which may be part of why the one gal couldn't poach an egg to save her life.  She may be incompetent, or she may have hit her wall.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Soooo....It is doable, and if you're someone who operates normally at high energy levels like Gordon Ramsay (not me!), probably just a small extra effort.  For others, it is a special occasion you just knuckle up for and plotz flat later. 

Yeah - but are you 64-72 yrs old? Standing on your feet?  I bet somebody took a break or at least sat down while they did some work. Now that I think about it, why did the servers need to stay? Couldn't they come back a few hours before the opening?  I'm probably thinking about this too much. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, aliya said:

Yeah - but are you 64-72 yrs old? Standing on your feet?  I bet somebody took a break or at least sat down while they did some work. Now that I think about it, why did the servers need to stay? Couldn't they come back a few hours before the opening?  I'm probably thinking about this too much. 

My husband is 62 and he can't imagine pulling an all-nighter.  He's a limo. driver and is used to working crazy hours and doesn't need much sleep, but these days even he won't take jobs that don't allow him at least 3 consecutive nap hours to total at least 6 hours per 24 hour period.  And he's a road warrior that only until a few years ago could tolerate all nighters with no problem.  I can't imagine it myself and I'm 60.  I'm a wreck if I don't get at least 6 hours these days, meanwhile even 10 years ago I was able to get by on much less if I had to.  I would never let any show make me stay up all night, no way no how.  It would take me a long time to recover from that.  I wonder if Gordon has had to let some of the older employees go home for a few hours overnight.  I don't think he or the show would want to be liable for whatever might happen to them as a result of sleep deprivation.

• Love 2

For me, it's not a matter of staying up all night, as much as it is doing it without notice.  These people are not being asked ahead of time to work 24 hours, and it's not only 24 hours.  they've already been at work, and are being asked to commit to an additional 24 hours, with no consideration that they could have other obligations.  And then after the 24 hours are up, what happens? The restaurant opens and then  they have to work their regular shift.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, backformore said:

For me, it's not a matter of staying up all night, as much as it is doing it without notice.  These people are not being asked ahead of time to work 24 hours, and it's not only 24 hours.  they've already been at work, and are being asked to commit to an additional 24 hours, with no consideration that they could have other obligations.  And then after the 24 hours are up, what happens? The restaurant opens and then  they have to work their regular shift.

You're assuming things go down exactly like they're shown on TV.  My guess is no - they know Ramsay is coming, they know they're going to be pulling an all-nighter.  I also strongly suspect that there are rest opportunities, most of the work being done is by the crew remodeling the place.  The cooks need to learn a few things.  The servers?  Not so much.

• Love 8

Too much family counseling/life coach stuff in the Brownstone Bistro ep.  I felt bad for Clive, but in this case I was uncomfortable watching too much personal information.  It reminded me of You Know Who.

We didn't see much of the food except the seriously undercooked chicken.  

Interesting mix at the VIP table, especially Aarti.  Did Food Network give her a special dispensation?

• Love 4

I wish Gordon would have spent more time on the food also.

God, I was happy the mouse in the toaster didn't show up again.

I don't know how many episodes this is going to run, but I'm finding it meh.

• Love 6

I feel like this is a show you can only do for one season, because the element of surprise seems to be a big factor, what with the costume, the secret truck kitchen etc. For a 2nd season people would be expecting it. I do like that the fact they've filmed awhile ago means we get updates, but I have a hard time believing it all turns out rosy for everyone. I liked that KN showed a lot of places had closed. And if he can't fix something on that show with more time, 24 hrs means there's much less of a chance of real change.

• Love 4

I actually enjoyed this episode.  I noticed Christina, winner from "Hell's Kitchen" on the truck culinary staff as well as Aarti Sequeira from Food Network at the VIP table.

It seemed to me that Clive was the one that contacted the show and it was the staff that was taken off guard.

• Love 2

Oy.

There's a few things that annoy me about this show but last night I really had to question Gordon's judgement.

He decided to play marriage counselor and didn't want cameras in the room but keep the mics on. That was really uncomfortable. I don't want to be a part of stranger's intimate moments.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, stormy said:

Oy.

There's a few things that annoy me about this show but last night I really had to question Gordon's judgement.

He decided to play marriage counselor and didn't want cameras in the room but keep the mics on. That was really uncomfortable. I don't want to be a part of stranger's intimate moments.

Yeah agreed - showing this on tv will not help his family's problems any, as now everyone knows his business. Some things should be kept within the family and close friends.

big kudos on that tree idea, that deserves some love. i hope someone plants a tree for me when I'm gone.

Edited by Colorado David
  • Love 2
On 6/23/2018 at 7:08 AM, NowVoyager said:

(Copying my own comments from the "Masterchef (US): Gordon Ramsey: Damn!" thread.)

I watched the first episode. Meh. The chefs stayed up all night learning the new menu. So, Shock. Surprise. They messed up a bit. I couldn't believe that many people ordered veal. There were lots of gagging noises as GR smelled rotten food in the kichen. Next week looks even more gross. Rodents.

Dawn seemed like a nice lady, but she truly was a hawt mess in the kitchen. She seemed like she may have had some other... issues, too. All that leaving the restaurant to go home made me think: drugs. She couldn't make things that were already on the menu. I've never tried to make Hollandaise, but even I can poach an egg. I was so frustrated watching her crack the eggs directly into the hot water. Somebody get the lady a bowl FCS! When the one guy wanted to go hug her, I was like awww.... But, when the rest of the staff learned she was let go, they clearly thought it was the right decision.

I hope Dawn landed another gig more suited to her skillset. 

I'm still mad about that soft-boiled Eggs Benedict when GR was sitting with the band. Smh. Just wrong.

I was thinking the same thing. Drugs. How do you work as a chef with poached eggs on the menu and not know how to poach an egg? Plus, she proved a very slow learner. My guess is she wasn't the hardest worker when the owner's back was turned. She was taking advantage of him and would go back to doing so given another opportunity.

• Love 6
On 6/28/2018 at 9:56 AM, Yeah No said:

I actually enjoyed this episode.  I noticed Christina, winner from "Hell's Kitchen" on the truck culinary staff as well as Aarti Sequeira from Food Network at the VIP table.

It seemed to me that Clive was the one that contacted the show and it was the staff that was taken off guard.

I thought I knew that face (Aarti), I just couldn't place her. I liked seeing Christina as well. GR must think a lot of her - he gives her a lot of public exposure and he also sponsored her house getting redone (apparently she bought a house with her HK winnings) for another show.

This was a rough one; I can't imagine that family's pain or having to work right across the street from where my child was killed. The chef had good experience, he'd just lost his way after a tragedy. I thought it was interesting that Nicole, who I wanted to slap at first and would have fired right there in front of the Hell on Wheels truck, did care about the situation to the point of volunteering that others get her money. 

• Love 4

Is Gordon still an abusive piece of shit? The Asshole had a tv show called Gordon Ramsay's Home Cooking, where he cooked with his children, and cuntface managed not to bully his children.