Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Bitterness & Unpopular Opinions: You All Suck

• Start Topic

Well, for me the canon disregard that changed the show to a point I found it unrecognizable was Taxi Driver. Visible reapers and the casual walking into purgatory and hell basically negated all the story that came before. Carver letting the nepotism duo run over canon from the first 7 seasons did it for me. 

Later just negating their own canon (the Stynes in the bunker for example) just made more of a mess.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Well, for me the canon disregard that changed the show to a point I found it unrecognizable was Taxi Driver. Visible reapers and the casual walking into purgatory and hell basically negated all the story that came before. Carver letting the nepotism duo run over canon from the first 7 seasons did it for me. 

Later just negating their own canon (the Stynes in the bunker for example) just made more of a mess.

If the show had gone on for longer, by Season 16 or 17 they would have found a special typewriter in the bunker that could easily overwrite anything Chuck does and safely depower him to render the entire "God is the enemy and a writer (the second thing is worse)" plotline moot in retrospect.

Then the new villain could have been the Empty`s evil uncle Fred. 

Edited by Aeryn13
  • LOL 7
6 hours ago, supposebly said:

Ms. NEP DUO IS SINGER'S WIFE. Not sure how one gets around that. Singer should never have hired his wife.

6 hours ago, Myrelle said:

Well, since the list of memorable episodes is so short from these last three seasons, it's really going to be pretty easy for me to forget what Badd tried to do once it's all over with.

It just feels like it's taking forever to get it over with, though.

Two more episodes...

I liked Regarding Dean. I also liked the episode in which Dean takes Jack fishing despite it being Jack heavy. I thought the father son activities and Dean's pain at losing this son adjacent being were touching. Parts of Nihilism and Ouroboros were good.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Castiels Cat said:

Ms. NEP DUO IS SINGER'S WIFE. Not sure how one gets around that. Singer should never have hired his wife.

I know and I don't care. It wasn't a problem for years. It's the showrunners' job to hire/keep good writers. Not hire the one who was never asked to write again after they wrote the Racist truck episode in season 1. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, PinkChicken said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head here about something that I think contributes a lot to a really big issue I have with the episodic vs serial narrative. 

It is  much better on a binge-watch these days... but not because they have successfully told a coherent arc over the season, but because most eps on their own are kinda unsatisfying. They cant seem to balance the 40 min story, with the arc themes like they used to. There are older eps that I can recognize in gifs or if someone lists off the motw you know exactly what they mean, because as an individual episode they walked you through the smaller little mystery story they were telling that week, and it was good and memorable in its own right. 

These days every week blends into the next, most of them are 80% exposition and you're constantly waiting for them to get to the point (and personally I'm often zoning out because its often not about characters I'm focused on or some contrived drama) YET the overall arc isn't even done well. Spec and tension took a complete nosedive because we cant trust them not to bring something new up to close with in the last 30 mins and force characters to do whatever it takes to make it happen regardless of if they have reasons to. Bonus points for having a character dialogue exposition to explain the "rules" where they literally re-write existing canon so that what they want is allowed to happen. So if this lost time and focus wasn't spent on the larger season arc where even did it go..?

What even happened in any of the filler eps in the last 5 years? I have no idea. There are a lot fewer good standalone episodes in late-spn like safe house where you even see their process anymore. If you explained one of the eps to me I could probably only vaguely place it in the Dabb era by process of elimination because I know if I don't recognize it that's where it goes.

[edit: aaaand turns out even safe house was pre-Dabb... anyone else got a good example or two?]

Bingo! No investment in their own story telling. And absolutely right on about exposition and explanations. "Just in case you were wondering. BOOM! Here's our trite, oversimplified, illogical, and frequently retconned explanation."  The audience is constantly being talked to. The first time I remember it being glaringly obvious that they were trying to pull off something so unbelievably convoluted, involved Rowena. She had to explain something that defied all logic to the audience regarding Jack's grace needed to blah blah blah. I don't remember, because it was farcical. 

And the outright lies. That's gaslighting. Amara and the whole twins story, for example...it wasn't Death who merely said what he thought Sam and Dean needed to know. Amara herself said, "I was the beginning and I will be the end." And that ridiculous retconned, lying nonsense about why she brought Mary back. They even had Dean contributing to the lie by referring her back to a conversation that they NEVER had.

• Love 2

OMG this is soooo true!! My biggest problem with the show rn isn't the storylines, it's how forgetful it is. I can't remember what happened in an episode 2 days after I watched it! 

I kid you not, the other day someone on some forum was talking about how good Jenson's voice was when he sang with Christian Kane. And I was like "who's Christian Kane?" And also "when the hell did Dean sing karaoke with another hunter?? That doesn't ring a bell!" So I looked it. I actually looked at screenshots. And still I was like "...yeah I have no idea which episode this was."

And I have a really good memory for these kinds of things. Like after last week's montage I said to my wife "OH! THAT'S where I know the female lead for Freaky from. She played Claire!" And my wife was like "Who?" and I responded "Claire. You know. Jimmy's daughter." She didn't remember who Jimmy was until I said "Castiel's Vessel".

But anyway my point is y'all are absolutely right about these episodes blending in together.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, PinkChicken said:

What even happened in any of the filler eps in the last 5 years?

Scoobynatural happened. Oh and the slasher episode. I only remember that one because I say "Time to slice and dice!" all the time now in the kitchen. Oh and regarding Dean, because was actually a real standout episode. Other than that, it's all a blur.

Edited by KayCordingly
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Terese said:

Bingo! No investment in their own story telling. And absolutely right on about exposition and explanations. "Just in case you were wondering. BOOM! Here's our trite, oversimplified, illogical, and frequently retconned explanation."  The audience is constantly being talked to. The first time I remember it being glaringly obvious that they were trying to pull off something so unbelievably convoluted, involved Rowena. She had to explain something that defied all logic to the audience regarding Jack's grace needed to blah blah blah. I don't remember, because it was farcical. 

And the outright lies. That's gaslighting. Amara and the whole twins story, for example...it wasn't Death who merely said what he thought Sam and Dean needed to know. Amara herself said, "I was the beginning and I will be the end." And that ridiculous retconned, lying nonsense about why she brought Mary back. They even had Dean contributing to the lie by referring her back to a conversation that they NEVER had.

Jack lost his grace for good and then he died. The end.

And for goodness sake one would think that smited by god is permanent. They never explained how that was reversed.

Edited by Castiels Cat
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Too many series  (including this one) as they wind down to the end, have a "poorly written, don't give a shit about our audience anymore" feel to them.   I have felt that way this entire season and it just keeps getting worse as the series winds down to the end tomorrow night.

They didn't give a s*** about their actors either. Maybe that's why Jensen said he really wasn't all that emotional in the series finale.  He  seemed more glad that it was finally over.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

They didn't give a s*** about their actors either. Maybe that's why Jensen said he really wasn't all that emotional in the series finale.  He  seemed more glad that it was finally over.

I don't think he was "glad", per se, but I'll have more to say on this after the finale airs. 

Silly me, I'm still hoping for a somewhat decent episode tomorrow night; and this, even though it's far more likely to be just another disappointment-which has been the story of my life with this show since s12.

Either way, it will all be over with in 48 hours and that, in and of itself, is indeed cause for some deep reflection right now, AFAIC.

So many articles and interviews out there.

Just read and loved Samantha Highfill's from EW so much. 💔

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 4

17 MINUTES AGO, MYRELLE SAID:

Just read and loved Samantha Highfill's from EW so much. 💔

Well I don't know about Jensen but that made me cry. He drove off in Baby alone...gah!

And how did Samantha keep it together????

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Castiels Cat said:

Jack lost his grace for good and then he died. The end.

And for goodness sake one would think that smited by god is permanent. They never explained how that was reversed.

They never adequately explain anything. They simply make it so, while pushing aside canon, established lore and characters, and logic.

36 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

Is this linked somewhere?  thanks.

I'm not sure if the one I'm talking about has been linked to.

I don't know how to do a link but I can give you the title of the article

Celebrating Supernatural's humanity in its time of dying. 

By Samantha Highfill via EW

It's my favorite so far. 

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Myrelle said:

I'm not sure if the one I'm talking about has been linked to.

I don't know how to do a link but I can give you the title of the article

Celebrating Supernatural's humanity in its time of dying. 

By Samantha Highfill via EW

It's my favorite so far. 

https://ew.com/tv/supernatural-series-finale-digital-cover/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_ew &utm_source=twitter.com&utm_content= link&utm_term=20201117

• Love 4

So, there are Black people getting shot by police, people waiting in long lines to get food, people getting evicted from their homes, a deadly pandemic killing people every day, but I’m supposed to feel bad for a white male multimillionaire because of how his tv show character was written?  

• Love 1

I am putting this in unpopular opinions because everywhere i see people are criticising the final episode - Carry On.

I loved it!! 

Of course it had its faults - there isn't a single episode which does not have - but I find myself going back to that episode again and again. Crying bucketful every time - both Jensen and Jared acting is stellar . I get warm and fuzzy feeling seeing them unite in heaven. I find a perfect end to a beautiful relationship between the two brothers - "us against the world".  I find the love that the brothers had for each other of the purest kind. To be there for each other, to have each other's back - amazing!

The content smile on Dean's face as he is driving Impala in heaven, the grief and then acceptance of life in Sam and then the soft and warm smiles on their faces - that's peace, right?

My apologies if my opinion is in anyway disrespectful of yours. 

• Love 4

I know there are some reasonable Destiel fans out there, but seriously, where are you? I'm reading on Tumblr that a good portion of them are lauding and defending Badd because he really wanted to give them canon Destiel (not unrequited) but the network and/or Jensen stopped him. I mean right down to the script written but given the big red marker by TPTB. An example of proof? Dean's car in Heaven had the KAZ licence plate. You know, really meaning Cas. Oy. These are the people boasting with pages of screenshots over the trashing of the episode on IMDB. I guess the unpopular opinion here is that Dean never returned anything more than familial love for Castiel.

2 hours ago, flyinghigh said:

I am putting this in unpopular opinions because everywhere i see people are criticising the final episode - Carry On.

I loved it!! 

Of course it had its faults - there isn't a single episode which does not have - but I find myself going back to that episode again and again. Crying bucketful every time - both Jensen and Jared acting is stellar . I get warm and fuzzy feeling seeing them unite in heaven. I find a perfect end to a beautiful relationship between the two brothers - "us against the world".  I find the love that the brothers had for each other of the purest kind. To be there for each other, to have each other's back - amazing!

The content smile on Dean's face as he is driving Impala in heaven, the grief and then acceptance of life in Sam and then the soft and warm smiles on their faces - that's peace, right?

It makes me sad that this post had to go in the unpopular opinions thread! What you wrote summed up how I felt about the ending, but you said it so much better than I could! I never stopped liking the show and both brothers. I feel like that’s a very unpopular opinion on these boards.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

It makes me sad that this post had to go in the unpopular opinions thread! What you wrote summed up how I felt about the ending, but you said it so much better than I could! I never stopped liking the show and both brothers. I feel like that’s a very unpopular opinion on these boards.

It should still be in the episode thread. It's for all opinions.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Dean's car in Heaven had the KAZ licence plate.

Did they not watch the first two seasons?  Or are they just grasping at any straw no matter how stupid.  

Or if they really think that why not just take it as the positive nod they think it is and get on with their lives.

1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I know there are some reasonable Destiel fans out there, but seriously, where are you? I'm reading on Tumblr that a good portion of them are lauding and defending Badd because he really wanted to give them canon Destiel (not unrequited) but the network and/or Jensen stopped him. I mean right down to the script written but given the big red marker by TPTB. An example of proof? Dean's car in Heaven had the KAZ licence plate. You know, really meaning Cas. Oy. These are the people boasting with pages of screenshots over the trashing of the episode on IMDB. I guess the unpopular opinion here is that Dean never returned anything more than familial love for Castiel.

A lot of them are children(15-16 years old. They often add their ages into their profiles on Twitter) and their "opinions" usually reflect that, IMO.

But, honestly, I don't care how old you are or aren't,  what they've been doing is slandering Jensen's name for a long time now and you would think that MC would at least tell them to cool it for that reason, FFS.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I don’t think Dean or Jensen got screwed. I don’t even hate Dabb, and I think it’s childish to call him Badd or call Sam Samantha in a derogatory way.

I agree.  I did not like the last season.  But, "never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence."  I don't think Dabb was setting out to make a bad show.  I don't think he was trying to offend Christians, no matter how stupid I think making God the big bad was.  And, I don't think he was out to get Jensen. If he preferred the character Sam (and I'm not saying he did or didn't) then that's his prerogative and it was his show to write the way he wanted.

48 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I agree.  I did not like the last season.  But, "never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence."  I don't think Dabb was setting out to make a bad show.  I don't think he was trying to offend Christians, no matter how stupid I think making God the big bad was.  And, I don't think he was out to get Jensen. If he preferred the character Sam (and I'm not saying he did or didn't) then that's his prerogative and it was his show to write the way he wanted.

Just as it is a viewer's prerogative to think he and/or the show sucked because of it.

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Just as it is a viewer's prerogative to think he and/or the show sucked because of it.

Sure, I think the last season sucked also. Already said so.  But, what I don't think is cool (and I'm not saying that you have done this) is to wish death or harm on someone over a TV show.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Sure, I think the last season sucked also. Already said so.  But, what I don't think is cool (and I'm not saying that you have done this) is to wish death or harm on someone over a TV show.

I don't think anyone here has done this. It is unfortunately something that has arisen from social media in the last few years. There is way too much interaction these days IMO between people making the content and fans. The more boundaries fall in people's minds, the worse it gets. Julie Plec, showrunner of Vampire Diaries, twitter was the killing grounds after that Finale aired.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, flyinghigh said:

I loved it!! 

Looking at the polls on the final you are not alone, nor is this an unpopular opinion.  On one poll 48% loved it but the next large vote percentage wise gave it a 1.  So it doesn't have to be in the unpopular opinion.  If you love it, GO FOR IT!

Now I gave the final a C-.  I gave the season a D.  But that's because I only have maybe two eps and some moments that I thought were good.  Still love the Black and White tap dance routine.  Loved Christian Kane and Jensen acting and singing together.

I don't believe that Jensen thinks that Jared screwed him by pulling I'm number 1 on the call sheet.  The evidence they both live in Austin and do stuff together.  I do believe their friendship is real.

However if you look at his relationship with his ex costars from Dark Angel, it doesn't look like they have any contact.  Again don't really care.  I think Jensen did live up to his promise that when he felt the story lines weren't strong enough he would pull the plug.  15 years for one show is a lifetime.  Most actors are lucky if they get 5. 

Plenty of fandom's I'm involved in only had 2 to 3 seasons.  Any show will have weak points.  I will give Dabb this prop, he didn't destroy the series for me.  I will take a break but when I start watching I get to choose what eps I will watch.

I do think that Supernatural works better on a binge watch vs watching it live.  I also think it is fine that the fans don't all agree as long as they are respectful to each other.  No one needs to feel that their opinion is less valid. 

I'm not going to watch Jared's new show but if it ever shows up on Netflix, I might.   I will try out Jensen on the Boys but if I hate the show...well that will be it.  I never thought I would watch Supernatural.  I don't like Horror.  But Jensen pulled me in and I've watched his acting skills grow.  

I do believe that Jared and Jensen made the final stronger.  But many have stated what I don't like or agree with so I'll not keep repeating that.

If you loved the final, great.  I'm okay with it.  Can't praise it but I'm sick of people telling others what they may or may not feel.  Do you.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Myrelle said:

A lot of them are children(15-16 years old. They often add their ages into their profiles on Twitter) and their "opinions" usually reflect that, IMO.

Mostly teenage girls judging by Twitter. I used to block them, but after a while stopped bothering.  Probably my unpopular opinion is that powerful celestial being Castiel gradually morphed into well, ...... Misha. 🙄

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Personally I think the show would have been a lot better if they hadn't started treating a murderous Nephilim who brainwashed his own mother into giving birth to him, even though it would kill her and brainwashed Cas into letting it happen, like some sort of poor little gigantic toddler and then treating Dean like the bad guy for calling it out for the screwed up way of thinking it was and constantly trying to gaslight the character by acting like HE was the one being unreasonable, into being said murderous toddler's "parent" including after he murdered Dean's own mother.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

Personally I think the show would have been a lot better if they hadn't started treating a murderous Nephilim who brainwashed his own mother into giving birth to him even though it would kill her

I've never understood this line of thinking.  If he's a sentient being, of course he's going to want to live.  And I don't recall any brainwashing until after she had killed herself and he brought her back.  Killing herself also killed her and he had nothing to do with that. I feel like the bigger problem is the LOL power fluctuations that are so prevalent with this show. If had the power to bring her back to life while still in the womb, surely he still had that power a month later.

So I guess Dabb's 30% was made up of the Sam/JP fans,  the bronlies, and the wincesters then.

Sounds about right. 

Also, maybe it's just me but Misha Collins sat on his hands while one of his best friend's reputation was ripped to shreds by his delusional fanbase, but the minute they attack the network that might possibly offer him employment, he speaks up and out to them to set the record straight. 🙄

I'll say it again Jensen, with friends like these...

Thank God it's finally over.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Myrelle said:

So I guess Dabb's 30% was made up of the Sam/JP fans,  the bronlies, and the wincesters then.

Sounds about right. 

Also, maybe it's just me but Misha Collins sat on his hands while one of his best friend's reputation was ripped to shreds by his delusional fanbase, but the minute they attack the network that might possibly offer him employment, he speaks up and out to them to set the record straight. 🙄

I'll say it again Jensen, with friends like these...

Thank God it's finally over.

I cannot like this post enough!

• Love 3

This will be an unpopular opinion amongst many here. I have been watching SM explode about the final the most rabid people seem to be Destiel shippers with some extreme Dean fans contributing as well. I watched Misha's instagram/fb etc message and it makes me sad that all this hate is being sent out. I have watched this show for the brothers, it is and has always been in my opinion about the brothers and their love for each other – not talking romatic love here. There have been 327 episodes of which Castiel has been in 148 – that is not even half the series. So although he was a big presence in the show and an important part of the story there was absolutely no reason IMO why he should be in the final episode unless it was to satisfy the Destiel shippers. I think people for whom Castiel was their favourite character built his importance up far too much. I hated that Dean was killed off far too early – I struggle with the concept that we were supposed to think they had lived for several years before he died, it just did not come across if that is what they meant but I can at least take a small comfort in Sam and Dean, Dean and Sam being together at the end even though I hated Dean being killed off.

I sympathise with Dean fans concerning his death but I can't and don't sympathise with those that wanted Dean to confirm his love for Cas in the final and for Cas to be there at the end with Sam and Dean. I really felt he got a better ending than Dean and I am surprised that Cas fans hated it so much as they certainly got more than I ever expected would be shown.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Icarus said:

I sympathise with Dean fans concerning his death but I can't and don't sympathise with those that wanted Dean to confirm his love for Cas in the final and for Cas to be there at the end with Sam and Dean. I really felt he got a better ending than Dean and I am surprised that Cas fans hated it so much as they certainly got more than I ever expected would be shown.

I have no clue who these extreme Dean fans are you're talking about, because I follow only Dean fans on SM, and no one - literally not a single one - is wanting canon Destiel. And that includes fans who used to be or are still FANON ONLY Destielers. There are a lot of fans on SM who use a Dean or Jensen icon on these boards on twitter or wherever who aren't actually Dean fans at all, and they're real easy to snuff out. But for some reason they like using his pretty face as their icon, or they're trying to pretend to be something they're not.

I will agree that Cas certainly got a better and more heroic death than Dean. Dean/Jensen fans were once again screwed over.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, Icarus said:

I struggle with the concept that we were supposed to think they had lived for several years before he died, it just did not come across if that is what they meant

IMO noone has said years, a couple weeks at best. This was probably the very first hunt post-Chuck. Which sends an ugly message. 

What bothers me most is all the glowing "Dean HAD to die, otherwise Sam couldn`t have had his long, fulfilled life with a family". And Dean got exactly the bestest happiest ending ever by being killed off immediately and then just waiting around for just Sam because even in heaven he is not free or allowed to pursue anything beyond Sam. 

Like wow, was the character ever in the way apparently. And apparently very few people wanted a good life for him. 

Noone but Sam was shown mourning him on the show, no eulogy, no acknowledgment of any legay he leaves behind, not even a small heroic death and his entire death scene was made to be about Sam also. He bascially wasn`t even a character in that episode, he was every cliché of the fridged girlfriend.

I would have been fine with death but at least death with some dignity. 

• Love 3

No one got the ending they wanted. For me it was depressing and hollow. The way the episode was structured was that one of the brothers needed to die in order for the other one to move on. What kind of message is that? Dean wasn't truly happy until he went to heaven?  Sam mourned his brothers death and wasn't truly happy until he died and went to heaven? As I said before it wasn't a very complicated script. Dabb couldn't have spent more than 30 minutes writing it and it showed.

Misha and Berens created the unfortunate mess all the actors find themselves in.   I don't think Misha fully realized how egging these "fans" on for the last 11 years was going to backfire in such a spectacular way. And I don't know why they thought throwing a bone to a very "excitable" crowd wasn't going to create a feeding frenzy.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Noone but Sam was shown mourning him on the show, no eulogy, no acknowledgment....

I think a lot of characters were supposed to be in the finale originally (like JDM, Samantha, Kim, Brianna etc.) but it would have meant quarantine for 2 weeks for just one scene. No one could logistically commit to that.  Most of them have families and other projects going on. I understood that but the whole premise of the episode was just awful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Casseiopeia said:

I think a lot of characters were supposed to be in the finale originally (like JDM, Samantha, Kim, Brianna etc.) but it would have meant quarantine for 2 weeks for just one scene. No one could logistically commit to that.  Most of them have families and other projects going on. I understood that but the whole premise of the episode was just awful.

Then at least edit them in - pick a scene of each with a somber face - while Sam delivers a eulogy. Same for populating heaven, you can use stock footage even easier there. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Aeryn13 said:

Then at least edit them in - pick a scene of each with a somber face - while Sam delivers a eulogy. Same for populating heaven, you can use stock footage even easier there. 

I agree it could have been handled a lot better than just Sam and a dog.

• Love 4