Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Bitterness & Unpopular Opinions: You All Suck

• Start Topic

When this opens on my phone, I just get the video against another white black background. I don’t get the name of the person who made the video the “channel” it’s on or anything like that. Can someone please tell me who this guy is, so that I can look up other reviews he’s done?

Thanks 

13 minutes ago, PinkChicken said:

youtube username Jeremy Hannaford
I have never had a problem with embedded links on this site, seems very random when and who they don't work for.

Thanks!  I’ll look him up. 

8 hours ago, Lemuria said:

Thanks!  I’ll look him up. 

His channel is mainly SPN reviews and commentary. I like that he only critiques the writing or the overall plot and doesn't do any brother bashing like some of the other reviewers tend to do.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Myrelle said:

Wow.

These were both So. Good.

Such well constructed criticism and I can't  say enough for the fact that he places some of the blame for the drop off in quality on a present day fandom that is ignorant of what makes up truly decent/good writing and who simply fawn over the absolute drivel that we've been given in it's place since s12.

Cathartic for sure to finally see someone lay it all out the way he did, basically and succinctly saying everything that some of have been saying for years.

Wow again.👏

I watched both these again, and my post above was mostly addressing the vid asking if Dabb is the worst thing to happen to Supernatural.

But, OMG, focusing solely on the season 14 review, I can't help but feel like these are exactly the thoughts that went through the Js' minds - or specifically Jensen's mind, since he was the one most fucked over in S14 - that solidified the decision to finally walk away. I don't think they wanted to, I think it was a sad decision and they'll miss the crew, their fellow castmates, the fan base (the sane ones). But I believe they've been thinking the exact same things this guy lays out brilliantly as to the rapid plummet of the show quality and the LOL!Canon and refusal to follow through with storylines that made them realize it was never going to get better and only get worse.

Yeah dude, I'm with you, I have no hope that this season will be good - the first episode already proved that.

Again, a really sad review in it's pure truth.

• Love 6

It mightn't be that much of an unpopular opinion on this board, but after my convention experiences (intense, not bad) I'm more delighted than ever that they're ending it and going home to be able to spend more time with those gorgeous families of theirs.  I hope too that after next year they pull the plug on the majority of their conventions - having witnessed some people's reactions I would genuinely fear for their mental health come March/April when the last episode ends.  Plus, it would stick it to some of the rather rude Creation staff!

• Love 4

I’m probably going to sound a bit cold hearted, but when J2M talk about missing out on experiences with their families, I don’t really feel sorry for them.  While I think it’s nice that they’re so loyal and devoted to the crew and other cast, they could have stopped dragging this thing out for 15 years.  I would’ve been ok with 10 or maybe less.  I feel like once J2 knew they wouldn’t be able to put as much time into the show, they should have started thinking about an end date.   The writing and plotting has always been a crapshoot and it’s gotten worse over the years, and a small ensemble cast emphasizes this.  I just can’t say “awww” to these guys when the subject comes up any more.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, BlueSapphire said:

I’m probably going to sound a bit cold hearted, but when J2M talk about missing out on experiences with their families, I don’t really feel sorry for them.  While I think it’s nice that they’re so loyal and devoted to the crew and other cast, they could have stopped dragging this thing out for 15 years.  I would’ve been ok with 10 or maybe less.  I feel like once J2 knew they wouldn’t be able to put as much time into the show, they should have started thinking about an end date.   The writing and plotting has always been a crapshoot and it’s gotten worse over the years, and a small ensemble cast emphasizes this.  I just can’t say “awww” to these guys when the subject comes up any more.

Yeah, I totally agree. Even rich people can't have it all. Well, I suppose it just sucks to be rich and successful.

I'm in the camp of people who think if the actors want more time with their families they should go for shortened seasons with meaningful stories for the actual heroes rather than coming up with more and more stories for side characters.

Maybe go to fewer conventions. Oh wait, that would mean less money. Well, what do they want, time with their families or fame and fortune...

Edited by juppschmitz
  • Love 2

They are choosing to be away from their families. But I do get that they also love their careers and to do them they have to be away. I mean, the kids need a home base and can't move around wherever the most recent filming project takes them. I am lucky in that my career - which brings me personal joy and an identity - is one I can do anywhere.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, BabySpinach said:

This is so cathartic. We're not alone!

Cannot argue that their treatment of the Michael storyline was horrific. I think there were hints that Chuck was the ultimate big bad.

The Amara storyline for one. I  never bought that she was the big bad. It always seemed that she was the victim locked away and was an angry powerful being wanting Chuck to answer for what he had done to her. The fact that he hid for most of the story and used the rest of the characters left abad taste in my mouth. I also did not like the firewall speech to Dean. He basically told the one character that already feels all the responsibility for everything that he is in fact responsible for everything. So instead of his father putting too much onto his shoulders as a child he now had God the father pulling the weight of the entire world into them.

So not cool and totally designed for Dean to go be a soul bomb. Of course Dean is the sneaky will that often does not do what Chuck writes and he was able to appeal to Amara's humanity instead.

I think there has been some advance preparation.  It's not the best of course. Dabbler and Hacks. . .

I have really disliked the character of Becky since her first appearance, and I didn't like her any better in this last episode.

Part of it is the way the actress has portrayed her, although she toned it down this last time. I have never seen the actress in any other role, but as Becky, I found it tiresome the way that she was constantly popping her eyes wide open, or dramatically narrowing them, or squinting sideways with a scowl, to supposedly convey some emotion. Just, enough already with the constant face-pulling and mugging and eyebrow-wagging!

And part of it was the writing for the character, in which she came across to me as shallow and selfish and smug and unpleasant. I'm sorry she didn't like herself, but you know what? I didn't like her either! And she got off way too easy for what she did in that stupid episode where she roofied Sam in order to get in bed with him.

But the thing that I dislike the most about Becky is that the writers for this show seem to think that we are automatically going to love and support Becky as a character because she is a fan, just like us! I mean, gosh, look, she loves fanfiction and collects show merchandise, Just Like Us!!  Sorry, but I find it insulting that the writers think it is so easy to get around us by using that kind of stuff. And personally, I don't feel that I have anything in common with someone who needed intensive therapy to grasp the concept that there is a difference between a fictional character and the actor who plays him.

The fact is that as a fan, I feel totally invisible to Dabb and his writers, which would be fine if they didn't seem to be paying attention to certain other fans. They are constantly talking about "what the fans want" and "what the fans will think", and I don't know who they are looking at when they make these types of judgments, but it is not me.

For me, it was a breath of fresh air when Jensen was talking about bringing Benny back for this last episode, and he described him as one of his favorite characters ever, instead of calling him a "fan-favorite".  I mean, some may love him and some may not (Benny does happen to have been a favorite of mine), but at least Jensen had the decency to not announce this appearance as that of a "fan-favorite". I am really tired of that phrase being used by the showrunners -- usually in reference to some character that I never wanted to see again or don't even remember. I am really tired of them trying to tell me what I want and what I like about the show. Because I don't think they have a clue.

• Love 9
On 11/4/2019 at 1:02 AM, juppschmitz said:

I'm in the camp of people who think if the actors want more time with their families they should go for shortened seasons with meaningful stories for the actual heroes rather than coming up with more and more stories for side characters

I think that was one of the reasons why J2 called it a day. They talked off and on for the last few years about trying to do shortened seasons. But the CW wouldn't budge.  The best they would do was going from 23 to 20 episodes. The J's wanted to do 8-12.

Edited by Casseiopeia
26 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

Part of it is the way the actress has portrayed her, although she toned it down this last time. I have never seen the actress in any other role, but as Becky, I found it tiresome the way that she was constantly popping her eyes wide open, or dramatically narrowing them, or squinting sideways with a scowl, to supposedly convey some emotion. Just, enough already with the constant face-pulling and mugging and eyebrow-wagging!

I really liked the actress in Gingersnaps & the IT miniseries but they were both way before SPN. As Becky I found her to be insufferable from the 1st time that she appeared. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bergamot said:

I have really disliked the character of Becky since her first appearance, and I didn't like her any better in this last episode.

And part of it was the writing for the character, in which she came across to me as shallow and selfish and smug and unpleasant. I'm sorry she didn't like herself, but you know what? I didn't like her either! And she got off way too easy for what she did in that stupid episode where she roofied Sam in order to get in bed with him.

But the thing that I dislike the most about Becky is that the writers for this show seem to think that we are automatically going to love and support Becky as a character because she is a fan, just like us! I mean, gosh, look, she loves fanfiction and collects show merchandise, Just Like Us!!  Sorry, but I find it insulting that the writers think it is so easy to get around us by using that kind of stuff. And personally, I don't feel that I have anything in common with someone who needed intensive therapy to grasp the concept that there is a difference between a fictional character and the actor who plays him.

The fact is that as a fan, I feel totally invisible to Dabb and his writers, which would be fine if they didn't seem to be paying attention to certain other fans. They are constantly talking about "what the fans want" and "what the fans will think", and I don't know who they are looking at when they make these types of judgments, but it is not me.

For me, it was a breath of fresh air when Jensen was talking about bringing Benny back for this last episode, and he described him as one of his favorite characters ever, instead of calling him a "fan-favorite".  I mean, some may love him and some may not (Benny does happen to have been a favorite of mine), but at least Jensen had the decency to not announce this appearance as that of a "fan-favorite". I am really tired of that phrase being used by the showrunners -- usually in reference to some character that I never wanted to see again or don't even remember. I am really tired of them trying to tell me what I want and what I like about the show. Because I don't think they have a clue.

I want to marry this post. 💖

• Love 2

The one thing that annoyed me about Becky was that she "knew" the Winchesters were "real". I mean as deluded as some fans may be, NOBODY thinks the Winchesters are real.

I think it would have been way better to the fans if Becky- who we were supposed to identify with, I think - had been surprised out of her head to find out that Sam and Dean were actually real people.

22 hours ago, Bergamot said:

This x 1000!!! Apparently Dabb is only catering to the twitter/Instagram crowd. And frankly that doesn't include me either even though I do have a twitter account. You're right - Dabb doesn't have a clue about the rest of the fans and what they would like to see. It's really, really sad. 😞

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

You're right - Dabb doesn't have a clue about the rest of the fans and what they would like to see.

It's not that he doesn't have a clue, he just doesn't care. Dabb knows what he wants to write and see on screen and he caters to the percentage of fandom that would rather watch fanfic than good storytelling. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DeeDee79 said:

It's not that he doesn't have a clue, he just doesn't care. Dabb knows what he wants to write and see on screen and he caters to the percentage of fandom that would rather watch fanfic than good storytelling. 

Those and the disturbed adolescents who perceive themselves as victims and always need someone to blame with their "look what he did to me" mentality. One could also include the Dean haters, the Sam haters, as well as, the Lucifer was "right" and AU Michael was "right" which includes the satan worshippers and nihilists. 

I think given the rapidly dwindling audience, what is left easily comprises the predicted 30% satisfaction, if not more.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Given the title and this tweet I have a feeling this is going to be a Dean learns a very special lesson ep.

Dabb`s tweets seldom refer to the brothers. It may be the case, though.

Or that Lilith is coming back? (not a spoiler - just a guess on my part.)

On a side note: Rebecca!! (I'm likely in the minority in preferring Rebecca over Diane on Cheers. I found her a more humorous character.)

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

On a side note: Rebecca!! (I'm likely in the minority in preferring Rebecca over Diane on Cheers. I found her a more humorous character.)

Now see, here's one we can definitely agree on! Love Kirstie 🙂

I can't remember - is this the episode where we're supposed to find out why Dean is really mad at Castiel (gag me)? Cuz I would be hard pressed to consider Sam his best friend. Not a BvJ thing at all - they just don't often come across as friends.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Now see, here's one we can definitely agree on! Love Kirstie 🙂

I can't remember - is this the episode where we're supposed to find out why Dean is really mad at Castiel (gag me)? Cuz I would be hard pressed to consider Sam his best friend. Not a BvJ thing at all - they just don't often come across as friends.

Nope, that is gonna be episode 9. So not before next year. 

Could be. Lilith would be so pointless and random, I just might see it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I just wanted to say kudos for correctly calling it. Do you have a shoulder-link to Dabb? 😂 

• Love 2

Brought over from Atomic Monsters thread:

15 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I'm not so sure about that. She went back and killed them all anyway. I believe she would have, regardless of how things played out with Dean and Sam.

Lilith's whole plan was to intimidate/stop the Winchesters.  If they were off the board, there was no reason to kill the others.  Killing them all after they thought they'd saved them was to send a message to Sam and Dean.  

Of course, being a demon, she might have killed anyone at any time just because.  But they should have thought that giving her what she wanted would have stopped her.  Or at least tried/negotiated.  

(Of course, knowing what we now know, she "allowed" Sam to kill her in order to free Lucifer; and she couldn't do that until all the other seals were broken.  So...kill Dean to send him to hell early, and keep Sam as a prisoner until the time was right and then "allow" him to escape and kill her in the process?  (And without Dean, he wouldn't have escaped/would have given in to the Dark Side and accepted Lucifer?)  

• Love 1
On 10/13/2019 at 4:45 PM, Pondlass1 said:

Someone should tweet link to Dabb.  Although I do agree much of the problem is with Singer who has no clue.

Singer knows that Sam is the brains and Dean is the brawn and he has passed that knowledge onto his wife.

18 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Do you have a shoulder-link to Dabb? 😂 

Oh, please no... I would have nightmares. Hee!

Someone upthread mentioned that Dabb's tweets often don't have to do directly with Sam and Dean per se, so taking that out of the equation, that left the interaction - where I considered Jodi and Donna - or the character names, so Lilith or Rebecca (or both)...

I couldn't think of a Rebecca off the top of my head, though.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I couldn't think of a Rebecca off the top of my head, though

Not even a nickname for Rebecca? 😁 😁 😁

(I'm betting on a mental block here and I don't blame you a bit)

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Not even a nickname for Rebecca? 😁 😁 😁

(I'm betting on a mental block here and I don't blame you a bit)

Heh - yes, definitely a mental block... somehow I don't picture her as a Rebecca... Becky fits much better.

Of course Chuck poofed her somewhere in the last episode, too, so out of sight out of mind I guess. ; )

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Gonna leave this here because I can't imagine a more unpopular opinion and we don't have a 'makes me want to vomit' thread. 

Considering he killed the show dead, I can't quite wrap my mind around this, even considering the source. 

Oh, and she hated Kripke's vision. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Gonna leave this here because I can't imagine a more unpopular opinion and we don't have a 'makes me want to vomit' thread. 

Considering he killed the show dead, I can't quite wrap my mind around this, even considering the source. 

This is garbage. I’m glad that I don’t have Twitter. I hope that someone reminded her that without Kripke’s vision the show wouldn’t even exist.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Her little tantrum when someone replied and disagreed with her says everything there is to say, really. What a child.

Imagine thinking Dabb knows Supernatural better than Kripke. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, goyour-own-way said:

Her little tantrum when someone replied and disagreed with her says everything there is to say, really. What a child.

I thought that was eye-opening. She's so sure of her opinions that she won't entertain comments by anyone who dares disagree with her. Very immature, very middle school attitude.

Yeah, Dabb's era is so golden that the Js finally said "enough", and WB/CW refused to greenlight any of his piss poor attempts at a spin-off. And Pedowitz continued to claim there was no Supernatural without the Winchesters anyway. Pure gold, baby. 🙄

Edited by PAForrest
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

What is she Andrew's mother?

• LOL 9
13 minutes ago, goyour-own-way said:

She blocked me once for disagreeing with her.

This to me sounds like over compensation.  Like she's trying to hard. 

What show is she watching.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ILoveReading said:

She blocked me once for disagreeing with her.

This to me sounds like over compensation.  Like she's trying to hard. 

What show is she watching.

Full disclosure: I am still a low-key Destiel shipper who has no illusions the show will ever make that a canon coupling, so take my thoughts with that in mind.

I don't think she actually cares about Dean or Sam or Cas really. She sees Dean as an extension of Castiel or Sam. She has pissed off Sam fans because she has tended to ignore his stories and pissed off Destiel shippers by strongly implying they will be canon every season which of course neved r happens. IMO, she sees Dean only through a lens of being a repressed bisexual character who is abusive. I used to read her re iews because she wasn't afraid to talk about Destiel (or so I thought) but what I came to realize she only sees the show through everything around TFW. She constantly talks about Dean's alleged toxic masculinity and how if only he recognized that he's really bi then he would be suitable for Cas.  I don't begrudge her being a Destiel supporter either. The problem is she wants Dean to be someone different and for whatever reasons thinks that Dean Being belittled, punched, or frozen out by Cas is a sign of Dean's character growth, which what? Nah, IMO she is wanting to the show to be a different show and she really was pissed that Wayward Sisters was axed. She wants LGBT representation which I agree should happen yet she doesn't seem to realize the show has given enough that but not with TFW.  I think she uses the show as  click bait and nothing more. As a Destiel shipper she isn't helping.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I saw her whine that some of the writers were tagged in the post and they shouldn't have to see the negativity from other fans.

Maybe if they had received some negativity and paid attention the show wouldn't  be ending. Or, at the very least, wouldn't be ending with such a whimper.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, goyour-own-way said:

I saw her whine that some of the writers were tagged in the post and they shouldn't have to see the negativity from other fans.

Maybe if they had received some negativity and paid attention the show wouldn't  be ending. Or, at the very least, wouldn't be ending with such a whimper.

I've been on the internet a long time, and I have tried to make it my policy to never post something I wouldn't say out loud to a person's face. I @ people accordingly, both with praise and with criticism.

ETA: I would relish the opportunity to tell Andrew Dabb what I think of his showrunning.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 12
16 hours ago, goyour-own-way said:

If he was all that...why did they (the actors) decide to quit?  Killed the show because the actors wouldn't go on.  I do guess they are ignoring the major fact if the show had been cancelled in the earlier years, well they wouldn't even have Dabbnatural.

I think the biggest issue for some, is storytelling has changed a lot since 2005.  So of course the younger ones, enjoy the more recent stories as it moves faster.  If they had to watch Tv before 90's they would die.  lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, 7kstar said:

I think the biggest issue for some, is storytelling has changed a lot since 2005.  So of course the younger ones, enjoy the more recent stories as it moves faster.  If they had to watch Tv before 90's they would die.  lol

The problem for me is that the stories *don't* move faster.  They're broken up into little individual segments, one for each character, which don't interconnect or even have any relation to the others.  So you can watch the segments of the character you like and ignore all the rest and therefore have the show you want to see without being bothered by all the other stuff.  The problem for those of us who actually like Sam and Dean  is that they're giving more "segments" to the new/younger characters, which is why the younger crowd likes it.  JMO, of course.  😩

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ahrtee said:

The problem for those of us who actually like Sam and Dean  is that they're giving more "segments" to the new/younger characters, which is why the younger crowd likes it.  JMO, of course.  😩

Oh I can agree with you.  They like watching people closer to their age. 

What I've seen from teaching young people, that most don't want to think about it.  It needs to grab their attention quickly.   So much that I've had students pick out a script only to later find that as they tried to work it up, it sucked.  What was funny in the moment in the first reading didn't carry through.  They weren't willing to invest in trying to figure out how to make something work.   Better scripts are much easier to have multiple ways of portraying the characters.  Poor ones require major work to do the same thing and are difficult to visualize into action. 

So I'm not too surprised, I guess they watch Supernatural the way I watch soaps.  Only the storylines I like and I fast forward the rest.  Since soaps are simple storylines for the most part...it's not that hard to do.

One more thing - I'd like an opinion from the binge watchers here. How did Supernatural do in binge watching vs. other shows? I, personally, don't enjoy binge watching but I have a feeling that most young people do. Is it easier to binge on current writing vs. earlier seasons' writing? What say you?

1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

One more thing - I'd like an opinion from the binge watchers here. How did Supernatural do in binge watching vs. other shows? I, personally, don't enjoy binge watching but I have a feeling that most young people do. Is it easier to binge on current writing vs. earlier seasons' writing? What say you?

As with anything else in life, what is worth having or nothing is worth savoring and takes time to dwell deeper and process. I would think binge watchers are focused on the most elementary plot points regardless of seasons.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, FlickChick said:

I binged seasons 1 thru mid-season 10, largely unspoiled. I knew the pop-culture stuff, the guys die and return, Dean says sonofabitch a lot, socially clueless Castiel. Most of that I got from Imgur, lol. The one advantage I find in a binge watch is that you don't have much time to build up expectations (that usually turn out to be wrong), so there is maybe less disappointment that way. I can't imagine waiting months to find out if any of them were dead at the end of Devil's Trap. On the other hand, it also kind of takes away the stakes when you know there are X more seasons to come and, unless you're completely off the grid of social media or entertainment news, you at least know which actors are still with the show X number of seasons later.

• Love 2
On 12/20/2019 at 2:31 PM, goyour-own-way said:

"Whine" doesn't quite cover it. Does this chick consider herself any kind of professional writer/blogger/reviewer? Because honey, you put shit like this out there in the universe, you better expect to get all kinds of thoughts on it. Her response to this person is so OTT it's laughable. (full disclosure, I don't agree with a lot of her points either, but she's allowed to state them).

Her response.

ignorant tweet.JPG

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

"Whine" doesn't quite cover it. Does this chick consider herself any kind of professional writer/blogger/reviewer? Because honey, you put shit like this out there in the universe, you better expect to get all kinds of thoughts on it. Her response to this person is so OTT it's laughable. (full disclosure, I don't agree with a lot of her points either, but she's allowed to state them).

Her response.

ignorant tweet.JPG

Jeez, that's awful.

• Love 5

I also don't agree with a lot of what the commenter wrote. What's really weird, is that Fisher didn't say, "This is a Dabb positive space ONLY" before posting the snippet from her opinion piece.  

If she wasn't a public figure posting her opinion piece on a public forum like Hypable, then okay.  Weird, weird weird.

Did she turn off the comments section from Hypable, too?

• Love 2

What an appalling “writer” she is!  Good grief, it’s this sort of ‘support’ that’s brought the show to this messy (end) point. To refuse to countenance other points of view shows the weakness of her own.

• Love 6

Does she really think her saying "You aren't entitled to RIGHT it here!"  Will do anything.  I think the opposite effect.   I think I would respond even more with my negative comments.  Something like what do you mean right?  Is this why Dabb and co are writing such awful stuff???  You posted your comments but you can't control what is said unless...

But I'm evil that way.  🙂  I barely have time to read this forum much less another.  I wouldn't spend my time with folks that don't allow discussion.  But then again I'm sometimes entertained by reading the opposite side if they can put up a convincing argument with evidence.  It is one thing I like about debate and why folks told me I should join debate.  I just find I like informal debate more than the actual competition debates.  😞

• Love 4