Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Anticipation

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Once again, Big Brother people can ruin anything.

Agreed.  That's why on Reddit, when someone asked the question of who from BB people wanted to see on Survivor, my answer was "None of them."   -2 votes on that post.

I would have rather had none of BB teams as I didn’t like any of them on their respective seasons (besides Elissa and Britney), but I know it could have been worse.  Some of the rumored teams that were cut at the last minute would have been my worst nightmare.  

On 2018-09-02 at 12:01 AM, Halting Hex said:

Holy…! How did I not realize that this will be Britney and Rachel's "reunion"?  Given the amount of venom Brit spewed (behind Rachel's back, of course) in BB12, this should be somewhat interesting.

Ironically enough, Britney's go-to insult back then was to imply that Las Vegas "party host" Rachel was a prostitute.  ("She's a scientist, Monet.")  And now she's paired with (former) Bottle Service girl Janelle, whose opening segment in BB6 featured her in lingerie, no less.  (I confess I referred to it as "Hi, I'm Janelle.  Please fondle my vagina." But I'd already seen BB7 before I downloaded 6, and so was predisposed against "Janey", so I was probably being unfair.)  At least Rachel only wore a bikini for her "sexy" intro.  Be interesting to see if Britney tries to take the moral high ground this time, or if she's grown up enough to at least play nice.

Britney and Rachel long ago laid down the hatchet and are friends or at least acquaintances on a good, solid footing. I was a Britney fan back in the day, I found her amazingly witty. And far less mean and nasty than last season's winner, Jessica. Jessica is somebody I hope to never darken my screen again, on ANY reality show, but since she seems to be terminally unemployed, she will probably return to Big Brother over and over in hosting duties. :(

I expect Janelle and Britney to be a fairly solid team, as will Nicole and Victor, due mostly to Victor's superb physical skills. Just as long as they read those clues correctly...

On 2018-09-06 at 7:56 AM, Lamb18 said:

I got a kick out of Eliza when I watched her season last year. I'm looking forward to watching Corinne and her as kind of a Keystone Kops duo.

Everyone mentions Corrine and Eliza over and over, yet I can't really remember either of them, despite having watched their seasons (I think).

I'd like the Border Patrol to leave first, followed by Colin and Christie. And social media maven Tyler. From what I recall, he also had a wide mean streak, hidden under that fake hearty video exterior.

Any clue when the show will actually air? I am looking forward to this one. I have no interest in the upcoming Bachelor (Colton, yuck!) so this will be my primary reality show to watch. And Alone, if they add a sixth season.

Wow that sucks!! Especially with season 32 already filming, I was very confident that we would get that January/February slot once again. But they are pushing multiple new reality shows which could cause trouble for the Race long term if they succeed. Makes you wonder when the heck season 32 would air. Summer 2020? Ugh

Of course. Seriously, fuck Big Brother. Bad enough they share Favored Reality Show status with Survivor, but there’s going to be more of it. What happened to Julie Chen quitting in a huff, followed by CBS deciding that there are better ways to hook viewers in the summer?

ETA: Is there a place where I can see who’s running TAR32 without getting spoiled on results? I did not notice the TAR32 spoiler thread until just now.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Of course. Seriously, fuck Big Brother. Bad enough they share Favored Reality Show status with Survivor, but there’s going to be more of it. What happened to Julie Chen quitting in a huff, followed by CBS deciding that there are better ways to hook viewers in the summer?

ETA: Is there a place where I can see who’s running TAR32 without getting spoiled on results? I did not notice the TAR32 spoiler thread until just now.

What in the fuck? I see TAR 31's schedule on May 22nd, 2019 at 8 pm into a 2-hour episode for six weeks. RFF posted the time info. With Survivor 38th's season finale is to be schedule the week before, TAR 31's short schedule will consist of six-week period of 12 episodes up until the last Wednesday of June.

Will CBS be able to air TAR back-to-back in summer schedule, Reality Clash will air first for a plannedsix-week 12 episodes and the 32nd season to be aired probably right the day before the fourth of July, that could be July 3rd and will end on September 18th for a single 12-week period at 9 pm timeslot?

It will have a summer to possibly be having TAR seasons back-to-back?

SCHEDULE PLAN OPTIONS

TAR 31 will run for six weeks between May 22 to June 26, 2019; while TAR 32 would be slated to plan for scheduling in between July 3 to September 18, 2019 right after Big Brother's eviction night.

Edited by ApprenticeFan
27 minutes ago, ApprenticeFan said:

What in the fuck? I see TAR 31's schedule on May 22nd, 2019 at 8 pm into a 2-hour episode for six weeks. RFF posted the time info. With Survivor 38th's season finale is to be schedule the week before, TAR 31's short schedule will consist of six-week period of 12 episodes up until the last Wednesday of June.

Will CBS be able to air TAR back-to-back in summer schedule, Reality Clash will air first for a plannedsix-week 12 episodes and the 32nd season to be aired probably right the day before the fourth of July, that could be July 3rd and will end on September 18th for a single 12-week period at 9 pm timeslot?

It will have a summer to possibly be having TAR seasons back-to-back?

SCHEDULE PLAN OPTIONS

TAR 31 will run for six weeks between May 22 to June 26, 2019; while TAR 32 would be slated to plan for scheduling in between July 3 to September 18, 2019 right after Big Brother's eviction night.

Not sure where you're getting your info, but the official press release says TAR is one hour. Wednesday 5/22 from 8-9, and then Million dollar mile is 9-10.

Lantern7 - I'm not sure such a thread exists, but the good news is that it appears to be a normal cast. RFF couldn't even identify any teams besides a pair of ex-NFL'ers until a week after it started. Appears to be a good mix of teams.

• Love 1

At least I would say between the whole month of June would probably be having double TAR episodes within the schedule. I really wonder the finale of Million Dollar Mile will probably be May 29th? The season finale would probably be on June 30?

ETA: Million Dollar Mile will run for 10 episodes from March 27 to May 29, excluding May 15 for Survivor finale.

The 33rd season is scheduled to film next summer when TAR 31 will air, and possibly TAR 32 on July?

EPISODE SCHEDULES

May 22: Episode 1

May 29: Episode 2

June 5: Episodes 3 & 4

June 12: Episodes 5 & 6

June 19: Episodes 7 & 8

June 26: Episodes 9 & 10

June 30: Episodes 11 & 12

Edited by ApprenticeFan

Wait . . . so we might get two seasons before the fall season starts? On the one hand, more TAR  is good, especially if TAR31 ends with another BB team lucking into a win. On the other hand, I don’t think a season should be compressed. TAR30 got that treatment because CBS had to throw something against the Olympics.

If this is true, how come CBS doesn’t tell us? My only rationale would be that TAR32 would need to be fully in the can first.

I’m pretty sure CBS is avoiding having TAR air at 9 pm on Wednesday’s, period. The difference in audience live plus three numbers between TAR at 8pm and 9 pm last winter was substantial. As for Big Brother, they’re not as locked into 8 pm time slots over the past 20 years, and live eviction episodes always aired the last few years at 9pm. Some of those were on Wednesday nights in some of those recent seasons. CBS has a lot of openings in their summer schedule at the moment as several summer dramas are not coming back. So they’re in a position to accommodate TAR on Wednesdays at 8 pm for 12 weeks into August.

And we’ll have to see if any adjustments are made with Survivor’s scheduling for the next season. The summer of 2020 will have the Summer Olympics in Tokyo, which was the problem for TAR30 and the Winter Olympics.

With the teams I really remember, I guess I'm rooting for Tyler and Korey, indifferent to Becca and Floyd (I remember liking him and souring a bit on her), and desperately hoping the Afghanimals have mellowed or that they'll be out quickly. 

I wonder why Brendon isn't running the race with Rachel. Maybe one person wants to stay at home now that they have a child. I remember him doing a lot to carry the team so it'll be interesting to see how long she lasts without him. Of the people I recognize it doesn't seem like there are any beefcakes this season so maybe that'll even the playing field to not have bros who can power through all the physical tasks.

We're about to be 31 seasons in, and they still get people auditioning who are afraid of heights, are claustrophobic, can't drive stick and who retch at the thought of eating bugs. I'm over it. I love to see when a team knows the local language and uses it to their advantage, or is worldly enough to know that when you arrive in Amsterdam at rush hour, you're nuts to take a cab into the center of town (train is much faster!). I enjoy seeing people succeeding at tasks that I could never, ever dream of accomplishing in locales that I'd give body parts to visit someday.

I don't mind it if it's real. Like there have been teams where people are really athletic and smart but they're afraid of heights and the producers will try to bait them with heights tasks but even if they're not happy about it, they'll grit their teeth and get through it. I also don't mind a team where one person can drive stick and the other person can't. As long as it's not both racers. Given comments from past racers, it can be a very short time between learning they're on the show and starting the race so I get not having learned to drive stick proficiently. I love teams that know the local language but I'm okay with it if they don't because there's no way to be prepared for every location on the race. I think knowledge of public transportation is a bit excessive, again, especially for every location. Not that I want to see people pass out but I think manufactured drama is less effective than simply plopping the racers in a humid environment and making them run around. That's all you need for killer fatigue.

For me, a big issue is editing. It feels like the show is bored of the show. They need to fix that.

• Love 5
On 9/1/2018 at 8:40 PM, LadyChatts said:

Rooting for Colin/Christie to win it.  They are long overdue to even return, and I was shocked (but extremely happy) to see them on the roster.  I still consider them one of the best teams to ever race. 

They were approached for All-Stars (Season 11) but Christie was pregnant so it was a no go.  That is basically why we got the pretend team of frat boy and his fake girlfriend thrown together instead that ruined the season for me. Too bad because the producers were loving the idea of Colin vs Mirna, Part 2.  And so was I.

I like Rupert.  I liked him on Survivor and I have liked him even more in the years following because of all the hate he gets online for no real reason.  He isn't perfect?  Big whoop.  I mean how dare a working class stiff that doesn't have "Hollywood looks" try to milk his 15 minutes of fame.  Crawl under a rock, Rupert, and don't sell those tie die shirts because only endless shallow young mactor look-alikes who never held a real job and have no interesting story to tell about themselves are allowed on by the tons to milk their reality "fame" and endlessly too and the rest of us need not apply.

And yes Rupert won his half mil was it in the fan favorite vote fair and square.  It wasn't rigged.  He was far and away the most well-liked player that season with Sandra still only really known for her fish throwing ways her first time around plus she won so had her big pay day already.

Having said that I doubt he and his wife last too long on the Race.  Not spoiled in the least but he is now what?  Late 50's?  early 60's?  Tough with physical challenges.  And I doubt he has traveled internationally much if at all.  He and his wife are the biggest underdogs in the Race.

But anyone complaining about him should know that had he and other Survivor teams not been added basically at the last minute then Paul & Josh would have been on the Race.  They were already booked on the cast.  They were one of the BB teams bumped at the very last minute because Rupert et al got added for Survivor to be in the mix.  I haven't seen many seasons of BB but I saw Paul's last one where he made Russell Hantz look like Mother Theresa in comparison.  And that isn't a hype comparison either.  Never was there a bigger piece of hateful crap on a CBS reality show than Paul.

• Love 2

@green . . . the knock on Rupert — if not merely mine — is that he rides the “unique” thing too hard. Also, he’s a bit of a blowhard, and he’s gotten nasty on Survivor. Like eviscerating Lil on Day 39 and the time he almost murdered Jon Dalton. Once again: had Rupert not been voted out when he was, no way Jon does the “Dead Grandma” thing.

I thought Eric & Danielle were cast because they were kindasorta a showmance, even thought Danielle brought little competitive stuff to the table. Put it this way: Amber was more of an “All-Star” than her . . . in Survivor. Racing? She & Rob deserved the call in TAR11.

3 hours ago, green said:

And yes Rupert won his half mil was it in the fan favorite vote fair and square.  It wasn't rigged.  He was far and away the most well-liked player that season with Sandra still only really known for her fish throwing ways her first time around plus she won so had her big pay day already.

Of course he won it.  It was a prize created specifically for him to win! And as far as I know, said prize has never otherwise been seen, before or since!

Eric & Danielle were an execrable team flung together at the last minute.  TPTB were probably sniffing at the idea of en-race romance, which later got us such jems as the blind-dating teams, etc.  The were supposed to be a couple, but their on-screen behaviour made it pretty clear they wee anything but.  They might have hooked up before, but by the time the race was run, they had a hard time concealing how much they actively disliked each other.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Eric & Danielle were an execrable team flung together at the last minute.  TPTB were probably sniffing at the idea of en-race romance, which later got us such jems as the blind-dating teams, etc.  The were supposed to be a couple, but their on-screen behaviour made it pretty clear they wee anything but.  They might have hooked up before, but by the time the race was run, they had a hard time concealing how much they actively disliked each other.

Uggggggggh. Seriously, at the last minute? Can that be confirmed? If Eric & Jeremy had been cast and won, I would've had slightly less problems with that. Danielle and her partner (Danni) finished in eighth in TAR9. That ain't good enough to come back unless you really got boned. And from what I remember, I don't think Eric was into girls, so that made their win even more painful. That night, I would have taken any other team winning. Even Ramber. Oh, and here's a thought about Danielle which I have to spoiler-text because it's a little dirty.

Spoiler

If Danielle had been a bigger beard, she would have been on Rupert's face.

Oh, and I believe that Danielle was the first Staten Islander to win on a reality show, and that happened on a season where the other and more beloved Racers from that borough (John Vito & Jill, Drew) went out after the first two episodes.

Honestly the only people I ever remember from US Big Brother (not counting the Celebrity edition) is Dr Will & Mike (Boogie). As much as I''d love the idea of them pairing up for a TAR edition, I don't think it would work (these days). I think their time has passed.

I have no idea who any of the TAR returnees are sadly (other then Colin & Christie of course). Its been a few years since I watched.

Survivor - love Eliza and Corrine (Corrine was there to play a character and never pretended to do anything else - I am okay with that). Love the fact we have some old school love with Eliza!

Agreed, Rupert is the necessary evil, but then again, how well his he remembered these days (legit question) with Joe Public? I know we fan that talk in the interwebs remember, but would he really be the draw card that say Romber or Lisa Whelchel would be? Eh, either way, I have never been a huge fan of his, but it would be kinda of interesting now that he and Laura are the seasons token 'old couple'!

Edited by Robert

From what I remember reading about the first all-stars, the producers were desperate to have some kind of crossover team regardless. They tried for Flo and Drew, tried Brennan and Emily, etc, and eventually settled on Eric and Danielle after others declined. So I dont think Colin and Christie would have bumped them out if they had taken part in TAR11. More likely they would have bumped someone like John Vito and Jill, who were last minute alternates as it was.

As for TAR31, I think the cast could have been so much worse given the gimmick. It looks like they tried to stay close to TAR's usual type-casting, even with the gimmick (married couple, sisters, moms, etc). So the cast we ended up with is far better than it could have been based on those rumors. On the downside, maybe not getting all the dramatic personalities CBS originally wanted hurt TAR31's scheduling, causing it to get bumped to summer. Just speculating. 

Edited by TheRabbi
21 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Of course he won it.  It was a prize created specifically for him to win! And as far as I know, said prize has never otherwise been seen, before or since!

The fan favorite award lasted a number of years and only ended when the sponser of the award pulled the plug since it was never Survivor's or CBS's money.  And the fact that Rupert won by miles shows why it was a very good idea to have it.

17 hours ago, Robert said:

Honestly the only people I ever remember from US Big Brother (not counting the Celebrity edition) is Dr Will & Mike (Boogie). As much as I''d love the idea of them pairing up for a TAR edition, I don't think it would work (these days). I think their time has passed.

I have no idea who any of the TAR returnees are sadly (other then Colin & Christie of course). Its been a few years since I watched.

Survivor - love Eliza and Corrine (Corrine was there to play a character and never pretended to do anything else - I am okay with that). Love the fact we have some old school love with Eliza!

Agreed, Rupert is the necessary evil, but then again, how well his he remembered these days (legit question) with Joe Public? I know we fan that talk in the interwebs remember, but would he really be the draw card that say Romber or Lisa Whelchel would be? Eh, either way, I have never been a huge fan of his, but it would be kinda of interesting now that he and Laura are the seasons token 'old couple'!

The fact that you only remember Dr Wil and Mike Boogie as well as Colin & Christie just points out how iconic they were.  (Well NOT Christie, she was just along for the ride).  Same can be said of Rupert.  Rupert is probably in the top 5 of remembered legendary Survivors among the vast number of viewers along with Boston Rob, Richard Hatch and maybe Russell Hantz and possibly Sandra and maybe Circe or even Rudy. 

After that you move down to online reality viewer fans and their longer memories for other people especially the younger, mactor types that just blur into a nameless blob after awhile for most viewers.  Like Ozzie's name would be lost but he was "the young guy who swam a lot" but there have been lots of Ozzie types now so the person might mean another one in that generic category and not be sure of which one.  Same for Parvati as "one of the flirting, scheming young women" type.  These younger generic types all meld together over the seasons for most viewers since the show keeps casting clones of them.  It is only the ones with very VERY unique personalities that remain remembered by most people whose lives do NOT revolve around reality shows.

I mean I post online in the Survivor thread and saw every single season and I can't separate out Ozzie from other "young Tarzan" types anymore.  If he was the only "Tarzan-like" one, then yes.  But he wasn't as soon as they cast the next "Ozzie-type."  Hell I can't really remember anyone from the season that just ended except Christian because he out-nerded any other nerd and created a whole new category for a well-balanced, social nerd in the process.  I can sort of vaguely remember the guy that won that I also liked at the time but I can't even remember his name at this point.  The others have already faded away for me.

Again the fact you remembered the people you do just proves the point I am making.  I've watched every single season of TAR too and was passionate about if for the first decade it being my favorite show but I didn't recognize any names listed except Colin & Christie. As the years go by we just get "types" and not individuals anymore.  If the first poster hadn't identified the other teams I would have no clue.  I now vaguely -- very VERY vaguely -- remember an Afghan brothers team and someone with a fun meter or something but I can't associate their names with these people and wouldn't recognize them if I bumped into them. 

I wouldn't recognize Christie if she wasn't with Colin either.  And I don't remember anyone else on that list other than Colin (alone) and Rupert as I have no memory of any of the other Survivors either. 

With BB I'd know Dr Will and Danielle and my favorite from last year, Tyler, and unfortunately Paul and that is it since Boogie I know existed but I can't happily recall his face.  Paul will eventually fade for me and Tyler was a generic but I'd probably personally remember him because I was rooting for him from the first episode on but I doubt if he will be iconic for anyone else but everyone has a few "personal icons" who really aren't real icons in general. 

Real icons are, after all by their very nature, very very rare which is why they are so iconic as in they have stood the test of years.  They have never been "cloned" into a category because they are too personally unique to be duplicated.  Now the powers that be have tried but they never have succeeded with these people.  And their failure to produce "another Boston Rob" say just makes him all the more iconic.

Edited by green
On 1/10/2019 at 7:20 PM, Lantern7 said:

Uggggggggh. Seriously, at the last minute? Can that be confirmed? If Eric & Jeremy had been cast and won, I would've had slightly less problems with that. Danielle and her partner (Danni) finished in eighth in TAR9. That ain't good enough to come back unless you really got boned. And from what I remember, I don't think Eric was into girls, so that made their win even more painful. That night, I would have taken any other team winning. Even Ramber. Oh, and here's a thought about Danielle which I have to spoiler-text because it's a little dirty.

Reveal hidden contents

If Danielle had been a bigger beard, she would have been on Rupert's face.

Oh, and I believe that Danielle was the first Staten Islander to win on a reality show, and that happened on a season where the other and more beloved Racers from that borough (John Vito & Jill, Drew) went out after the first two episodes.

Eric & Danielle were cast after Colin & Christie declined but before the original cast was set.  So not last minutes that way but last minutes "original cast" I guess you could say.  Jon Vito & Jill were the true last minute adds (official alternates moved in quickly) when Jon & Kelly (Season 4) backed out when Kelly got cold feet at the last minute.

Edited by green
On 8/6/2018 at 12:20 AM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Becca & Floyd: ??? I have almost no recollection of the the "Strangers" season at all, and I had to look up their pictures before it dawned on me who they were. All I remember was that "Team Fun" only lasted until adversity hit and then they were super passive aggressively or just straight up aggressively at each other (more her to him than vice versa though).

I loved Team Fun.  Becca did get very angry with Floyd when he lost his passport and I think she feigned throwing a punch at him, though I think she was sort of angrily joking.

IIRC, she was very supportive when Floyd got dehydrated and couldn't finish a bicycle challenge, causing them to be eliminated.  I don't recall Floyd ever being anything but positive toward Becca.  

• Love 5

I’m here for Colin and Christie.  About freaking time they came back.  I was confused when I saw the earlier air date, but it shows how much I know about Million Dollar Mile because I didn’t even know that was on after Survivor.  Hopefully this will give TAR a nice boost.

• Love 4
On 11/28/2018 at 12:41 PM, ApprenticeFan said:

If Million Dollar Mile will flop or to have low ratings in the second episode or to be getting cancelled, TAR 31 may be scheduled to air early by April.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER.

• Love 6

Who wished on a monkey's paw? Because it wasn't me.

I have to go out, but I'm happy TAR31 is coming ahead of schedule. As fans, we'll need to do our part . . . hook people on TAR so that CBS never has to screw with the series or us ever again.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

What parts of TAR are going to be on CBS All Access that we're going to miss if we don't subscribe?

Not sure yet about any extras (clips, etc.) but All Access will have the full episodes on the app, and depending on which plan you pick you’ll have fewer or no commercials after the live episode airs, and the live episode will be the local station feed.

I'm looking forward to this a lot.  I can't wait to see Corrine and Eliza team up.  Please have Rupert go out in the first leg.  Can Team Fun strike lightning again?  I totally expect it will be a returning racing team that wins.

• Love 3
On 6/14/2018 at 5:22 PM, LadyChatts said:

I was nervous about what TAR teams we were going to see, especially any fourth timers (I could say the same for Survivor and BB teams).  I will say, while I don't follow the TAR teams all that closely off the show, none of the teams from the respective 3 shows picked seem fame whorish.  Like, they all have lives and jobs and families outside of the show that they will go back to.  It's an interesting contrast to who was cut from the BB side of things, the people from BB that would go on anything that had the word 'reality show' in it (thinking specifically of Caleb here).  Bret/Chris are such a random pair from Survivor, despite being friends outside of the show.  But they don't seem like the type that campaign to make reality TV a way of life and to make a living off of.  Except maybe Rupert, but I don't even think he's as bad as some of the ones who've come off these shows in recent years.

Rachel's definitely on the fame whorish side when it comes to reality TV...2 seasons of BB, 3 seasons of TAR, counting this one, 1 appearance on My Fair Wedding, and 1 appearance on Celebrity Fear Factor

On 9/2/2018 at 1:22 AM, Lantern7 said:

Once again, Big Brother people can ruin anything. I bet all three teams wind up crossing the finish line. Fuck, I'd take Rupert & Mrs. Rupert over any of them. Granted, the big guy hasn't exhausted me since Blood vs. Water . . . but he's not Big Brother. Fuck, a bunch of them are wrecking The Challenge right now.

I hope CBS doesn't draw from that casting pool next, because not only will Bananas jump at the chance to get on there, but you just know that the millisecond he hears about a Challenge/TAR crossover, Paulie's going to be working tirelessly to get himself back to CBS for that, and to those who don't watch BB, imagine a straight version of Frankie Grande with sociopath tendencies.

• Love 1

As nobody has yet mentioned the specific revised premiere date, I looked it up.  It's next Wednesday, April 17th, at 9 Eastern/Pacific.

Gee, I guess I wasn't the only one who fell asleep during Million Dollar Mile, huh?  That show did about as well as LeBron's Lakers, I see.  Smell ya later, Tebus!

(Please let the Mets' outfielders stay healthy…not only because I want the team to win, not only because I adore Nimmo/Lagares/Conforto…but because I really don't want Tebow defiling the uniform, especially in this, the 50th Anniversary season for the Amazin's of 1969.  I think Go-Go Gomez and Rajai Davis would be ahead of Tebow as candidates for promotion anyway, but the mere thought makes me irrationally twitchy…as you can probably tell. [/OF OT])

Excited for next week!  And deep thanks to lexington11 for reacting to one of my previous posts in this thread, or I might have missed the news.  (I mean, I'd like to think that I would have spotted it on the program grid while checking next week, but…)

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1