Type keyword(s) to search

Viola Davis: How to Get 3/4 to an EGOT and Look Fab While Doing It

Viola Davis is one of those film actresses that the film business has no idea what to do with. But I can see her excelling on television, she's dynamic and an absolutely force of nature when given the material. And Shondaland gives their actors plenty of meaty material (so what if half of it doesn't make sense and comes about inorganically). I'm positive she'll have a monologue on a weekly basis, perhaps several and I'll be there for each one.

• Love 2
(edited)

So are we agreed that there doesn't seem to be a reason to watch this show except for Viola Davis' involvement? Seriously, it looks terrible and sounds ridiculous. I have never seen Scandal or Grey's Anatomy so this might take off and last forever but from the trailer it just looks awful. Law students covering up a murder? What? Even if I could believe that enough of them would sign on to going that far to defend a client, where is this show going to go from there?

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 1

I can so believe that Shonda Rhimes would come up with a series like this and think it's going to be fabulous TV drama and not another soap, dramedy that makes no sense, and where the fans don't ever get pay off. If you have not watched Grey's Anatomy or Scandal then perhaps you are not aware of the mess that Rhimes creates with her shows. However, there is somebody else doing the writing here so I will reserve my judgement until season 1 is over, at least. Viola Davis is familiar to me, I am from Australia and cannot picture what I have seen her in, but from what I remember she is a very talented actress. If you have ever watched Scandal, then you will have some idea of what is in store on this show, as it would seem that every character on Scandal has gotten away with murder. My guess is this series will not have characters that are seen as good people, and might do bad things for the greater good. I recently bought the first season of Dexter for this reason and I must get around to watching it. Anyway I hope to get to know lots of TV people here as I love my telly. I came over from TWOP and used to post there as Whitney Rose. I would love it if someone could refresh my memory re Viola Davis.

• Love 1

DramaQueen, I remember Viola Davis most vivdly from her supporting work in Doubt (with Meryl Streep and Philip S. Hoffman) and for her leading role in The Help. She's a formidable actress.

• Love 1
(edited)

I remember Viola as one of the revolving door Defense attorney in the L&0 Universe.

Plus she was a regular cast member on the CBS Medical Drama City of Angels.

Then of course, are films like Doubt, The Help and Prisoners. 

Given Shonda's track record for writing AA female characters, I'm scared for her.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 1

I'm wrapped up in the other two Shonda shows so I know how nutty things can get. If it wasn't for Viola I would avoid this like the plague! But she's amazing so I'll watch it for her.

Unfortunately, that's how I got into Scandal, cause I'd watch Kerry read a phone book.

• Love 1

I like a good crime drama so am giving this a try. I like Viola Davis, but somehow her acting here seems a little forced and overly dramatic to me. And while I get that they want her to be seen as a busy, purposeful lawyer, all the shots of her walking down long hallways and streets surrounded by underlings emphasizes that she has an odd way of walking...almost like she is having trouble in the high heels striding quickly along.

• Love 1

She's got great arms but that doesn't mean they don't need to be covered up sometimes, especially in the courtroom.  In fact, I have never seen a female attorney in a real courtroom who wasn't wearing a suit.  Now maybe they do wear sleeveless dresses somewhere in some courtroom, but I just haven't seen it.

She also needs to get rid of the clunky necklaces because if I were a judge, I would be distracted and annoyed.

• Love 1

She also needs to get rid of the clunky necklaces because if I were a judge, I would be distracted and annoyed.

Hmmm…If you have never watched The Good Wife, you should give it look-see, because one of the main attorneys, Diane Lockhart ALWAYS wears clunky statement necklaces. 

• Love 2

Hmmm…If you have never watched The Good Wife, you should give it look-see, because one of the main attorneys, Diane Lockhart ALWAYS wears clunky statement necklaces. 

Not to mention how short Calista Flockhart's skirts were in Ally McBeal. TV clothing seldom resembles what someone in the same job would wear in real life.

• Love 5

I haven't seen "The Affair", but wow, I thought Viola Davis had the Golden Globe award in the bag.  This "Affair" lady must give a bravura performance if she was able to best Viola.  Viola brings it every single episode.

• Love 2

Congrats to Viola for winning the SAG Award. I was pulling for Tatiana Maslany but if she didn't win, I wanted Viola. I don't watch this show, but I've always thought she was an amazing actress.

• Love 2

Although this show isn't my favorite, I think Viola is a wonderful actress & is wonderful in this show. I was SO pleased to see her win this award. I wished she'd also have won the Golden Globe, but I'll take this one!

• Love 3

I just watched Viola Davis as part of a panel of female actors on the show Close Up With the Hollywood Reporter on Sundance. Also on the panel were Taraji P. Henson, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jessica Lange, Lizzy Caplan, and Ruth Wilson. I enjoyed listening to all of them, but there is something about the way Viola Davis speaks about her craft that makes me want to listen to her for hours. Intense and fascinating.  

• Love 2

Maybe we need to change the title of this thread....*grin*

How about "How to Win Emmy Awards and Be the Absolute Queen"

"How to Win Emmy Awards and Slay the Competition?"

"How to Win an Emmy and Give A Most Inspiring and Amazing Speech?"

"How to Win the Emmy Awards....Just be Viola Davis."

Awesome - thrilled for her and looking forward to the new season.

• Love 12

Well Viola already has Oscar nominations so there's that! She just has this magnenetic prescense on screen-stage that says " look at me!"

The one thing about Annalise as a character is that Viola brings such nuance to scenes that on paper would make appear the role an annoying/needy woman. Plus I loved the contrast between " made up" Analise and stripped down Annalise.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2