Type keyword(s) to search

The Mysteries Of Laura - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Basically, this show is Grace Adler meets CSI. Laura really isn't that much different from Grace - same quirks, facial expressions, etc. Maybe that's why it's bombing in the ratings, but as someone who enjoyed Grace on Will and Grace, I'm enjoying this show as well. 

One thing I thought was kind of dumb was how they had to negotiate to keep some espresso maker like they were still making payments on it. Surely it had been bought already and was a done deal. It's not like they can return it for a full refund after they've used it. And its cost cannot be the equivalent of an intern's salary, either. Not indefinitely, anyway. I'm sure Jake could afford to pay for a new espresso machine out of his own pocket.

• Love 3

This wasn't the best episode case-wise, but I enjoyed it because of the character stuff. I was happy to see them explain why Max is there at all. I had never heard of an internship at a precinct before lol, so I'm willing to overlook paying him being way more expensive than an espresso machine- or Captain Douche getting said espresso machine before the receipt/budget people approved it. Wouldn't police office expenses be something you submit for approval, and then once you get approval, then you buy it?

Anyway, I enjoyed the characters for the most part. iMonrey, I actually thought that DM is coming across much nicer here than she ever did on Will & Grace. Don't get me wrong, I loved the characters on that show, but they were all so selfish. Even on that musical show DM was in, I think her character was more like Grace. I find Laura to acerbically funny, but pretty sympathetic.

• Love 1

I like the show and will miss it when it's gone.  It's pretty, simple and occasionally funny.  

I cringed at even the fashion industry people calling that gold clutch a "handbag".  

And at Jake suggesting the cappuccino machine would save the force a fortune in coffee runs.  I'm pretty sure cops buy their own coffee shop coffee like the rest of us, or it's gifted to them from the shops who like having them on-site.  

The extended Fitbit ad inside the show was pretty funny.  A Fitbit isn't really going to provide an alibi, for the record.  

Edited by Guest

I enjoyed this episode, but the shows are becoming formulaic. Laura has to solve the mystery by infiltrating the underworld of something: Art, fashion, poker, academia, etc. Is this how the original show worked?

Also, not enough Laz Alonzo. He's my weekly eye candy. And I like his character.

• Love 1

Laura has to solve the mystery by infiltrating the underworld of something: Art, fashion, poker, academia, etc

And always in a low cut gown.

I agree, not enough Laz - his character really adds to the mix.  And I like that they are developing Meredith's character too; although not enough apparently, since I had to go look up her name:)

I enjoyed seeing Robert Klein again - it's been a long time.

The plot was not bad...they did fool me with the perp being the sister's boyfriend. 

• Love 3

I enjoyed it, especially Laura's lines during the poker game. What was with Laura's dad calling her raggedy though? That's an okay name when your kid is five, but dude, stop calling her raggedy (anne) she's got kids of her own. I thought Laura was much nicer to her father, and then they said he invited the ex-husband to thanksgiving right after he cheated, and I just wondered why she even went over in the first place.

Someone should tell the writers that if they want the ex-husband to do detective work, they shouldn't have made him a captain, or said that he was a lieutenant before they made him a captain. They want me to believe that he bought that expensive espresso machine, but there isn't another cop that could have gone out with Laura this episode, or gamer cop the in one of the previous, or when Laura went on the date with the killer. 

I was very very surprised that this show got picked up for a full season.  I didn't think it was going to happen.  I mean, this show is so light and airy and filled with charming characters that I didn't think it would last.  I eagerly caught all the episodes when they came on at Hulu and I enjoyed everyone of them.  Debra Messing is just wonderful on this show and I also happen to like the actor that played her ex-husband.  I'm so very very happy that we have another season!

I hope the ratings of this show are not doing well. Putting Debra Messing in a swimsuit, tight dress, or low cut gown every episode is not enough to justify this mess. Laz is the only thing I tune in for, and he is not getting enough screen time!

As a formerly obsessed Janis Joplin fan from the 60s and 70s, this episode was in my comfort zone.

...What was with Laura's dad calling her raggedy though? That's an okay name when your kid is five, but dude, stop calling her raggedy (anne) she's got kids of her own....

I thought it was cute and appropriate, but then I was still on my karaoke Piece Of My Heart high when they introduced the nickname.

I hope the ratings of this show are not doing well....

Sorry to disappoint, but the network has picked up the rest of the season. I hated the pilot, but the show has grown on me and is now a guilty pleasure of sorts.
  • Love 1

The scene with Laura eating the raw meat cupcake was hilarious. Her just trying to figure out what to do with it was great. It went on an uncomfortably long time but not too much.

Loved her chemistry with Robert Klein. He looks good and I hope we see him again.

• Love 2

I'm loving this show so far. I like the fact that it's light and doesn't take itself too seriously. I wish the critics would judge it for what it is and attempts to be rather than what they think it should be attempting to be (in other words, heavier and more serious). Loved the closing scene with Laura and her dad. Excellently written and acted. A lot of love and history conveyed there.

• Love 2

I was very very surprised that this show got picked up for a full season.  I didn't think it was going to happen.  I mean, this show is so light and airy and filled with charming characters that I didn't think it would last.  I eagerly caught all the episodes when they came on at Hulu and I enjoyed everyone of them.  Debra Messing is just wonderful on this show and I also happen to like the actor that played her ex-husband.  I'm so very very happy that we have another season!

We'll be getting another season? Really? Yay! (Seriously, yay!)

Edited by TnTexas

I'm glad they're doing more comedic moments. Debra Messing is almost channeling Lucille Ball at times--and I mean that in a good way. And thank goodness the twins' antics are now in the background, or at least not bringing the episode plot to a screeching halt.

• Love 2

The scene with Laura eating the raw meat cupcake was hilarious. Her just trying to figure out what to do with it was great. It went on an uncomfortably long time but not too much.

Loved her chemistry with Robert Klein. He looks good and I hope we see him again.

That was pretty funny.

The part that annoyed me, was Laura singing 100 bottles of beer on the wall, as they arrested the boyfriend. Not sure why? It just did.

I like the show very much,. comedy and mystery. Light fun . I hope it does better in the ratings.

I'm confused as to why critics are so brutal with this show..  It's quirky and fun.  Laura reminds me of a cross between the lead detective on Psych and Columbo. 

I admit to not watching later episodes.  But most of the critical analysis was based on the Pilot episode, and THAT at least was a horrible, horrible piece of crap, IMO. If the show got better, then that's great, but if this is just a case of understanding why the critical barometer is where it is, that's the reason behind it.  TV critics are like Restaurant Reviewers--you often have to talk them into a return visit if things have changed.

• Love 1

I liked this episode. I laughed when several of the make-up sales people commented on Laura's hair. It is beautiful.

The guess the original babysitter is gone for good. Boo. I really liked her.

• Love 2

I don't know if they were going for some type of ironic meta commentary, but I found it funny that Laura exposed Brenda Strong's character, whose beauty empire relied heavily on the idea that she looked many years younger than her stated age of 59, as actually being 43, when in real life Brenda Strong is 54.

Though I am glad they got Brenda Strong for the part. She is always great and I have been a fan for years. And she kept this from totally being a loss.

I have to say I didn't like Laura in this episode. Her all too predictable (and in many ways hypocritical) criticisms of the beauty empire at the center of the story were bad enough, but it was a real dick move of her to raise the heat level in that tanning booth so that one woman would get totally baked. What the fuck is wrong with her?

The guess the original babysitter is gone for good. Boo. I really liked her.

I had totally forgotten about that character. If she is gone, then I say good riddance. She was annoying.

but it was a real dick move of her to raise the heat level in that tanning booth so that one woman would get totally baked. What the fuck is wrong with her?

Too be fair it was not the heat level, it was the intensity level on a SPRAY tan.  Still not nice but not dangerous

I wasn't really interested in the case for this episode, but it seemed solid enough and I loved seeing Brenda.

Didn't like that they are bringing in a new babysitter, even if it's temporary. Didn't like the ex entering the American Ninja Warrior rip-off, although it would have been interesting to watch them talk more about that competition and see the two detectives run it. Didn't like that the DEA agent backed off because of Jake. Even Max wasn't that funny this episode.

Maybe the next one will be better. How long until we get to the backordered episodes?

This is a godawful show, but I love Debra Messing, so I watch it every week just to see her. It's not as awful as the pilot, but it's still a bad show. And I'm still watching. Sigh.

I mean no disrespect to Brenda Strong who I like as an actor and whose appearances I have enjoyed over the years.  BUT........

When will everyone in TV land and Hollywood get a clue.  The forehead, eyes, cheeks and mouth can be unlined as a sheet of parchment paper - it is the NECK that gives you away every single time.  There is not a 43 yr. woman in the US who has a neck that old.  I didn't get mine until almost 60!

That said, the ending fooled me because there was no reason on god's green earth to believe that the show would pretend she was 43.

I sort of hate that they used Brenda that way and that she went with it - -still work is work I guess.

I admit to not watching later episodes.  But most of the critical analysis was based on the Pilot episode, and THAT at least was a horrible, horrible piece of crap, IMO. If the show got better, then that's great, but if this is just a case of understanding why the critical barometer is where it is, that's the reason behind it.  TV critics are like Restaurant Reviewers--you often have to talk them into a return visit if things have changed.

The Pilot was awful, but this is one of the few shows I've seen that really did get better after a disastrous Pilot--a pilot that, in this case, should never have been aired without at least editing out some of the twins' scenes. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I thought it was really corny the way Laura got up on the stage and revealed the whole plot to the audience like Scooby Doo. I know this is supposed to be a semi-comedy but no way would police arrest someone like that. I did enjoy Jake training for the Xtreme games and then coming in last but still getting a lot of attention for even participating. 

That said, the ending fooled me because there was no reason on god's green earth to believe that the show would pretend she was 43.

Brenda Strong also seemed to play a bit young in Desperate Housewives and during a guest role on L&O: Criminal Intent some years back. In reality, she is 54. I think she still looks good. But 40-ish good? Well...I guess the casting directors think it works.

• Love 1

Religious motives are suspected in a couple's murder. Meanwhile, Laura and Jake look for a new nanny and encounter a familiar face in their search.

Janina Gavankar/Meredith does great physical and verbal comedy. I know this show was renewed, but when it's done, maybe she can get her own show?

So are they going to have a parade of fun nannies rather than keeping one?

• Love 1

I was thinking Billy and Meredith would make a great couple and then she invited him to go for a beer with her - so the writers must think they're a good couple too.

I should have known Peter Jacobson was the perp but somehow  I did not. 

Apparently we had met the nanny before but I don't remember where or when.  I liked her.  But a series of fun nannies would be good too:)

Whenever Mr Washables and I have an issue where one of us wants to put an ultimatum out there such as "please do this or else", the "or else" we threaten is to make the other one watch this show.

So this has been renewed for another season?!  I remember when NBC was a great network with a whole slate of what they correctly advertised as "appointment TV."  Now I watch exactly two NBC shows -- Parenthood and the Voice.  And I watch both on On Demand because they're not the even best things in their time slots.  

Apparently we had met the nanny before but I don't remember where or when.

They showed the flashback of when they first met her, in either the first or second episode. The kids were basically just urinating in public and the woman called them out on it.

I know they just played it for laughs, but I find it inconceivable that children that unruly would turn into perfectly behaved angels after just one day with stricter supervision than they're used to. If they're really that malleable, it makes Laura and Jake look like the most neglectful, inattentive parents in the world.

• Love 2

I cringed when it became obvious that the little girl would find the bodies. I hate it when children are involved. But that little girl was so adorable with her doggie, and Laura was so sensitive interviewing her that I give it a pass.

I laughed when Laura goosed the painter with a stick to get his attention. He was certainly painting the same spot over and over.

I agree that the pilot was horrible, and I intentionally skipped other episodes.  But while doing some holiday baking I decided to watch online, and I have to say it has improved immensely.  I like the cast, and decreasing the incidences of "kids from hell" plot points has left room for some entertaining sleuthing.  But I will probably still just watch online when I need some light entertainment while multitasking.  And who knows, maybe it will continue to improve and I will give it a shot on broadcast TV.

As far as I can find out, it hasn't been renewed for a second season; they have just picked up more episodes to make it a full, 22 episode season.  It was originally only seven episodes.  I think renewal for a second season won't come until May, or whenever the network does their renewals.

The detectives investigate when a woman suspects foul play after her husband, a fertility doctor, goes missing; the twins are accused of bullying at their Tae Kwon Do class.

Oof. This episode had to be a ratings killer.

Throwing in the previous miscarriage so cavalierly at the end is pretty insensitive. This show is too comedic for that.

And the boys being bullied by the little girl instead of the litigious parents being behind it (or the boys just being their usual bratty selves) just didn't ring true.

And the perp not knowing he killed the guy didn't match with the opening scenes, nor with the wife still thinking she was pregnant.

Maybe the writers had the flu and/or it was edited badly?

Although I think the sitter has been a bit much (overacting perhaps...) I did like her in this episode. Achh.. as bad as I agree it is, for some unexplained reason I like watching  this show. I like the cast's overall interaction as well as the not too deep cases. Maybe because it doesn't take itself too seriously or because there is no season arc (which seems to plague most serials recently) or, I don't know why, but I liked each episode I've seen so far. For backdrop I like the mundane family dramedy better than some tedious season-long or series-long mystery that wouldn't go anywhere (looking at you Castle, Monk, Mentalist, Grimm - worst of all,  etc). Of course ratings are bad; has it been announced it's cancelled?

• Love 2

...as bad as I agree it is, for some unexplained reason I like watching  this show. I like the cast's overall interaction as well as the not too deep cases. Maybe because it doesn't take itself too seriously or because there is no season arc (which seems to plague most serials recently) or, I don't know why, but I liked each episode I've seen so far. For backdrop I like the mundane family dramedy better than some tedious season-long or series-long mystery that wouldn't go anywhere (looking at you Castle, Monk, Mentalist, Grimm - worst of all,  etc). Of course ratings are bad; has it been announced it's cancelled?

As of December 16, tvbythenumbers still showed it as "toss up between renewal or cancellation by May, 2015."

I like the show more often than not too, but the Pilot was a stinker and so was this episode--both of which featured B plots about the bratty boys.

• Love 1