Type keyword(s) to search

The Mysteries Of Laura - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Jake: Oh, fine. All I did was sleep around on you while you were dealing with twin toddlers and working a full time job, and me you're judgy with.

Laura:  Yeah, you're right.  I have been too judgy, I'll try to let it go.

• Love 1

I gave up on this show last season, thought I'd give it another try over the last few episodes.  Bad move.  It's terrible.  Laura is so damn unlikeable.  Is her 'I'm right about everything, I see things others don't because I'm a supermom, I'm so much smarter than you so I'm snotty and superior' shtick supposed to be endearing?  It's not.  Well, for me anyway.  Can't see how this made it to season 2.

• Love 1

If this were a darker show, Laura's former captain would have been led back to his cell where someone from the Irish guy's crew would be waiting to shank him. Laura would have gotten a call that he was dead, and the showrunners would have made everything all emo.

In this case, I'm glad this isn't a darker show.

And I'm glad she still hasn't forgiven Jake. 

Plus pairing up Billy and Meredith so soon seems forced and pandering.

Did I miss an episode? When did that happen? I feel like I've completely forgotten a plot point.

• Love 1

Plus pairing up Billy and Meredith so soon seems forced and pandering.

Did I miss an episode? When did that happen? I feel like I've completely forgotten a plot point.

Do you mean when did they become a couple?  As far as I know it was last season finale when Meredith kissed Billy.  Then, I assume, they got together.  If anything has been mentioned this season before last night, I missed it too.

• Love 1

You didn't miss anything but they made it clear in last night's episode they're dating now. I don't think I'd have a problem with that somewhere down the road, but it's just so lazy and obvious. I liked when Laura was paired up with Billy as a partner, they had a great dynamic. It was always a stretch that her ex-husband would be her boss but at least that dynamic was somewhat limited because he mostly stayed at the precinct while she was out working cases with Billy. Now she and Jake are partners solving crimes together - it's stupid. The "couplings" just feel forced and unrealistic.

• Love 3

I miss the goofiness and humor of the first season too.  I liked looking into Laura's chaotic personal life as well as the murder mysteries.  Without that balance, this show will just become like any other procedural show.

I so don't want Laura to get back with Jake. No matter how contrite he is and how much he says he loves her. I like her with Tony, and I like Jake as the ex and co-parent. I like that dynamic more than if they become a couple again. 

t was always a stretch that her ex-husband would be her boss but at least that dynamic was somewhat limited because he mostly stayed at the precinct while she was out working cases with Billy. Now she and Jake are partners solving crimes together - it's stupid.

I also miss Laura and Billy as partners. The actors have better chemistry with each other than they do with Jake and Meredith, and their humorous banter was one of my favorite parts of Season 1. 

• Love 4

Oh, ffs. Enough with the Jake romance. It's creepy. Hey, I'm not saying that you should move past my betrayal. I'm saying lets have a relationship based on unresolved pain and distrust. Who could possibly turn that down.

Bonus points for keeps-calling-herself-a-feminist Laura referring her boss giving her disempowering crap as "busting my balls."

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Still not really sold on the new boss; still miss Frankie, the blonde detective; and wish they utilized Max more. But I am enjoying Billy and Meredith's partnership  and (I may be in the minority on this) having Laura and Jake work together in the field. I think L&J work well together on that level. On a romantic level though? Maybe in a couple of more seasons, after a bit more time has passed. After all, people do sometimes reconcile after a breakup - even if adultery was involved. But I don't want them together romantically now. I think it's still way too soon for that. And I would be content if they never reconnected romantically either. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

• Love 3

It's like they ran the show past a focus group or something trying to "fix" it when nothing was broken. I don't know why they decided "Hey, her home life is irrelevant and  not relateable, let's marginalize that and focus on her potential reconciliation with Jake." Like that should be the driving force of the show or whatever.

Who was the actress playing the wife who faked her murder? She looked so familiar to me and it drove me crazy the whole hour long.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

It's like they ran the show past a focus group or something trying to "fix" it when nothing was broken.

That's exactly what the retooling feels like.

As for the case, I pretty much knew it instantly the moment they couldn't find her body.

Edited by Free
  • Love 2

I hate to keep harping on this...but I just do not like the boss (I do not mind the actress-they are giving her shit to work with).  They are writing Laura as insubordinate with her but they are also writing the boss as blind to what has to be a ridiculous close ratio for Laura.  Even if you don't care for one of your best detectives- you don't treat them like a child.  It is exhausting. Then all of a sudden she is backing her...  You can write a competent female boss who is tough and fair (without giving her the background they did- that was cheap)but not a harpy.

Whatever magic this show had that made it more than just another procedural "with a twist" is just a glimmer.  Makes me sad.

Also, just because it needs to be said...No, no, no to Jake & Laura.  

• Love 2

I hate to keep harping on this...but I just do not like the boss (I do not mind the actress-they are giving her shit to work with).  They are writing Laura as insubordinate with her but they are also writing the boss as blind to what has to be a ridiculous close ratio for Laura.  Even if you don't care for one of your best detectives- you don't treat them like a child.  It is exhausting. Then all of a sudden she is backing her...  You can write a competent female boss who is tough and fair (without giving her the background they did- that was cheap)but not a harpy.

Same here, she is whatever the show needs her to be and changes accordingly.

• Love 2

Just came here to say not sure why I am still watching thus show! I was bored, case was predictable.

Yes. I guess it is a "safe" show, though. No edgy gore and/or sex. No twisty mind stuff. And the cast (except for CT for me) are charismatic and appealing.

I hate to keep harping on this...but I just do not like the boss (I do not mind the actress-they are giving her shit to work with). They are writing Laura as insubordinate with her but they are also writing the boss as blind to what has to be a ridiculous close ratio for Laura. Even if you don't care for one of your best detectives- you don't treat them like a child. It is exhausting...

giving her the background they did- that was cheap)...

I had a boss who behaved like this to me and others until it got so bad that they sent her away to a retreat for a couple of months. It actually helped.

My best case scenario here would be that Santini learns to believe in people again (having not been able to do so because of her past trauma), thanks Laura for making it possible, and announces she is taking another position in Arizona.

Then Laura gets Jake's old position.

I'm not sure if kudos are in order for the actress playing the abused wife for acting like a potential suspect until the end, or if she was just trying to play the cowed abuse victim.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I'm not sure if kudos are in order for the actress playing the abused wife for acting like a potential suspect until the end, or if she was just trying to play the cowed abuse victim.

I think it was supposed to be for the reveal at the end.

Best line [Laura to guy stuffing cancer charity money in his $3000 suit]: What would your mother say?!

Worst bit: Jake-Laura-Tony triangle. I thought this was over at the end of last season!

Another show (maybe L&O CI? Or Monk? The Mentalist?) had a similar plot, but the fake cancer patient murdered her boyfriend. In this case, the surviving cancer friend had such a healthy, plump face, and was wearing the same bad under-eye shadow that I expected her to be the culprit. If The Show cast her and made her up that way on purpose as a red herring, good job! But if it was just poor casting and makeup: Boo!

Fewer scenes and lines for the Bad New Boss is a good thing.

It sounds like an episode of The Closer - exactly as you describe. 

• Love 1

I actually had this one wrong. I thought for sure the first wife was still alive and helped the second wife escape when they kept harping on the fact that she had no family, no friends, was a loner, etc.

But otherwise predictable.

Even watching distractedly with family, pretty early in the episode I declared: It's a bank heist! Were we supposed to guess that before the characters did? Or maybe Laura needs to watch more crime shows?

I did too, it's predictable, I guess Laura hasn't seen many crime shows.

• Love 2

Why is this show continuing this asinine Jake-Laura rekindled romance route? We haven't even seen Tony lately--only heard mentions about him. Things don't look for that handsome actor. 

I liked Laz Alonzo's interactions with his mother (I keep forgetting his character's name and want to call him Esposito. Is that racist?), And she could she not know that Meredith was the girlfriend the way Meredith stood up and stared at the mom with that goofy/sheepish look on her face?

The mystery was a little boring. But I did like watching the husband do the 'American Ninja' training. I love that show. 

Why is this show continuing this asinine Jake-Laura rekindled romance route? We haven't even seen Tony lately--only heard mentions about him. Things don't look for that handsome actor.

I figured as much since last finale.  It's a shame because I preferred the exes getting along to this.

• Love 3

The mystery was a little boring.

I'll say!

The only time I laughed was when Billy was asking Jake  about who knew of his relationship with Meredith, Max walks by and says "Obvious!".  I know it isn't a comedy but last season there was a lot more humour.

i think the show was only picked up for another thirteen episodes - I wonder if if will get picked for any more.

ETA:  According to Wikipedia, NBC has ordered five more episodes to the original 13.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

I also dislike the whole Laura/Jake thing.  If they wanted them to get back together, the writers should have picked a different reason for the divorce, ie gambling, drinking, etc.  I personally think it is hard to like a guy that cheated on his wife.  Plus it was not one time, it sounds like he was a serial cheater,  This prevents me from rooting for him.  

I also figured out the murder/heist thing as soon as that couple came on screen.  Maybe it is because I watch American Ninja Warrior and the training the guy was doing was not what most of the guys do.  It was wrong for that show.

• Love 2

And he's still making excuses for himself and trying to put her in the wrong, so it's not as if he had a near-death epiphany and changed. If anything, he's blackmailing her with his life into going out with him.

• Love 3

I also figured out the murder/heist thing as soon as that couple came on screen.  Maybe it is because I watch American Ninja Warrior and the training the guy was doing was not what most of the guys do.  It was wrong for that show.

Really? Swinging on the rings, climbing the rope wall? I've seen obstacles like this on the show

I can't explain it, it was just different.  Plus there was the whole timing issue, for the most part ANW is not timed until you get to the finals.  It just seemed off to me.  It probably would not have seemed off if it used a fictional show, 

I was totally confused why Jake and Laura went into the vault alone. Why wouldn't they have a hundred cops guns at the ready for when they appeared at the vault? It made no sense and took me out of it. It's not like they were in some abandoned warehouse somewhere.

I also dislike the whole Laura/Jake thing.  If they wanted them to get back together, the writers should have picked a different reason for the divorce, ie gambling, drinking, etc.  I personally think it is hard to like a guy that cheated on his wife.  Plus it was not one time, it sounds like he was a serial cheater,  This prevents me from rooting for him.

I thought it was only once. No? If he was a serial cheater, that would explain the general attitude towards him and their relationship status that I read here and elsewhere. I thought it was a one night stand, plus, in the first season, we saw the hot mother of the twins' playmate coming on to Jake and Jake refusing to take the bait because he still hoped to repair his marriage.

I was totally confused why Jake and Laura went into the vault alone. Why wouldn't they have a hundred cops guns at the ready for when they appeared at the vault? It made no sense and took me out of it. It's not like they were in some abandoned warehouse somewhere.

This trope example is ripe for posting in the Only On TV thread.
  • Love 1

And he's still making excuses for himself and trying to put her in the wrong, so it's not as if he had a near-death epiphany and changed. If anything, he's blackmailing her with his life into going out with him.

I called it contrived since the finale and that's where it's seems to be heading unfortunately.

When the team finds a pregnant woman dead on the side of the road while investigating an international smuggling ring, they discover the goods being trafficked are not what they thought.

Please, writers, stop the Jake trying to get back with Laura storyline.  It is extremely tiresome.

This. I hate like that Jake has been ret-conned into this great guy who adores Laura, is the perfect dad, and what's wrong with Laura that she won't stop being a stubborn bitch and simply allow herself to love him again and take him back? Yes, he cheated on Laura when they were married (it seems like several times), but that's the past. Get over it, everybody. 

-Even last year, when Jake wanted Laura to quit harping on his past, he was still kind of an asshole jerk to her, which made his character more realistic. I don't like him as the Perfect Guy because that's not who his character is!

I did like this week's mystery. But one thing I don't understand: why was the massage lady dragging the pregnant woman, and to where? I believe her when she said she didn't mean to kill her. But where were they going in the first place? 

• Love 3

I wish they had never gone there with making Jake a cheater, and had made them divorce for a different reason. Or else that they'd cast someone else as Jake, because I love Josh Lucas beyond all reason and in my head, it's not possible to redeem a serial cheater. And it makes me sad that I can't root for Jake and Laura getting back together because of that. Although I have to be honest, I thought it was only one time (which to me could be worked through. Any more than that, though? Nuh-uh). However, I freely admit that I don't remember if they ever actually spelled out how many times he cheated, or if my Josh-love is just making my memory hazy. 

I didn't understand where the massage lady was taking the victim either, topanga. The whole thing of her being the perp just seemed to me to be shoved in at the last minute, and I got confused. Up to that point, though, I was enjoying the episode.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 4

Well I guess it was sort of baby smuggling.

It was pretty obvious.

Please, writers, stop the Jake trying to get back with Laura storyline.  It is extremely tiresome.

Ikr, it was better when they were just exes who cooperated with each other instead of the show trying to push for them to be together.

• Love 2

Third or fourth or however manyth. I'm comfortable enough in my raddled old skin to be willing to watch something dumb and weightless because it's not dystopian and tiresome and it won't distract me from anything. I don't know why they have to throw in this faithless creep ex negs our heroine and ignores her boundaries storyline. It's not sexy. It's actionable workplace harassment.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I'm with everyone else that it seriously sucks the show decided to make Jake a cheater. However, dang Josh Lucas is so frickin charming that I can't hold it against the character. I really, really believe he is repentant.

Ugh. It pains me to type this, but I want him to win Laura over. And then I want to shower because I know there will be someone out there somewhere who will forgive a cheater from this. Thank goodness this is fiction.

• Love 1

I'm with everyone else that it seriously sucks the show decided to make Jake a cheater. However, dang Josh Lucas is so frickin charming that I can't hold it against the character. I really, really believe he is repentant.

I think if he was repentant, he wouldn't constantly be telling her that the fact she doesn't want to take him back shows she - who pretty much served as his caregiver throughout his recovery while raising his children and working a full-time job - has a flawed character. That's not repentance. That's undermining her confidence so he can escape the consequences of his actions, and it's something men who shouldn't be trusted do.

And yes, Josh Lucas is cute, and it's a shame the character they gave him to play is bad news for his ex-wife romantically.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I get you, Julia. It's my own love/hate argument in my head. It's wrong on too many levels for my comfort, and I worry about people using this as an excuse in real life. Ultimately, though, I'm thankful it's fiction, because in real life I would want to put laxatives in his box of chocolates. 

This. I hate like that Jake has been ret-conned into this great guy who adores Laura, is the perfect dad, and what's wrong with Laura that she won't stop being a stubborn bitch and simply allow herself to love him again and take him back? Yes, he cheated on Laura when they were married (it seems like several times), but that's the past. Get over it, everybody.

-Even last year, when Jake wanted Laura to quit harping on his past, he was still kind of an asshole jerk to her, which made his character more realistic. I don't like him as the Perfect Guy because that's not who his character is!

I did like this week's mystery. But one thing I don't understand: why was the massage lady dragging the pregnant woman, and to where? I believe her when she said she didn't mean to kill her. But where were they going in the first place?

What I thought was that the massage lady was moonlighting as a nurse. The pregnant lady got sick. The doctor didn't show up. Massage lady's plan was to dump the pregnant lady on the side of the road and call 911 as an anonymous report. But she couldn't lift PL and PL hit her head on the ground coming out of the car? I think? Maybe the car was just there and she was dragging her down the street?

• Love 1