Type keyword(s) to search

Reverie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

This episode was a little better than the pilot, but it still wasn't very good. 

It's difficult to care about any of the characters since we get so little on all of them, except for Mara of course, and it's difficult to care about her when she's moving so goddamn slowly solving these cases and doing it in perhaps the stupidest way possible. I mean it took her for freaking ever to look into the laptop.

Speaking of the laptop, it was a horribly contrived way to include Alexis.

Mara: Hey Paul, I need to get into this laptop. I tried guessing 1234 but that's not the password. I'm a great cop BTW. 

Paul: Oh have you done any reasearch? Or clicked the hint button? Most people don't make their password too complicated. 

Mara: No I'm way too bored to do that. Isn't there some computer geek who can hack a way in for me? What about that girl I met before?

Paul: Alexis? She's like our number one coder and is far too busy to help you with that. You could probably just ask Dylan--

Mara: Alexis! That's her name thanks Paul! BYEEEEEEEEE!

I find it difficult to believe that an AI that is sophisticated enough to go through decades of facial recognition in seconds wouldn't have been able to help her crack a normal laptop with normal security protocols. There was absolutely no reason for her to bother Alexis, and no reason for Alexis to humour her request, other then the fact that the writers are struggling to find ways to include her character. Hot tip writers, that's a sign of bad writing. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 3

Sarah Shahi rocked the "Good Golly, Gee Whizz!" look when she saw her new office, and  at several other times during the course of the episode when coming face to face with kewlth.  

I think approached with just the right attitude, this could tend towards a "Time Tunnel" sort of fabulousness, with weird and variant off-the-wall adventures in the psychoverse each week, along with (hopefully) not excessive serialized shenanigans from Haysbert, Ramamurthy and Lu.  I guess it's all down to how TPTB decide to run with it.  

The only thing I'm finding a little difficult to handle is when Shahi finds herself in a difficult situation and doesn't immediately kick some serious ass, à la Shaw from PoI.

• Love 1

I liked this as a follow up, it seems like a fun summer science fiction show. I do hope they get more serialized, and its not "save the client of the week" every episode, but I think its fine for now. I hope they can find some kind of decent balance, plus some character work. Some shows are actually better serialized than with a mythology, but its too early to see how this show will go. 

I knew right away that Vater would be father, and this would tie into the woman's daddy issues, but I liked the spy simulation, and they do at least seem to be trying for something different in the different dream worlds. And it does seem like something people would do with this kind of tech. Plug into a genre you like and have your own little immersive video game. 

I hope they can find more excuses to let Sarah Shahi kick some ass. She is just so good at it. And I hope we get more to her character then "sad and guilt ridden about tragic mistake/dead loved ones", because that doesn't make for a very engaging character. Also, whenever they mention her Tragic Backstory (especially in the narration) I just want to yell "MY WIFE WAS MURDERED BY A MAN IN A YELLOW SWEATER! ITS THE ONE CASE I CANT SOLVE!"*

*Because theres always time for a Brooklyn Nine Nine reference*

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I liked this as a follow up, it seems like a fun summer science fiction show. I do hope they get more serialized, and its not "save the client of the week" every episode, but I think its fine for now. I hope they can find some kind of decent balance, plus some character work. Some shows are actually better serialized than with a mythology, but its too early to see how this show will go. 

I knew right away that Vater would be father, and this would tie into the woman's daddy issues, but I liked the spy simulation, and they do at least seem to be trying for something different in the different dream worlds. And it does seem like something people would do with this kind of tech. Plug into a genre you like and have your own little immersive video game. 

I hope they can find more excuses to let Sarah Shahi kick some ass. She is just so good at it. And I hope we get more to her character then "sad and guilt ridden about tragic mistake/dead loved ones", because that doesn't make for a very engaging character. Also, whenever they mention her Tragic Backstory (especially in the narration) I just want to yell "MY WIFE WAS MURDERED BY A MAN IN A YELLOW SWEATER! ITS THE ONE CASE I CANT SOLVE!"*

*Because theres always time for a Brooklyn Nine Nine reference*

I'd like this a lot more if her partner was Bart Barley 

• Love 1

I know Darth Vader is the big Vader, but I would have loved it if one of the characters was like "Oh, like Vader the wrestler?", after Mara brought the name up.

A decent improvement over the pilot, although they still seem to be leaning heavily on the procedural "case of the week" aspect for now, but I can see that changing once it progresses.  The spy story was fun, although I suspect the show doesn't have the budget to ever do a full-blown sci-fi/fantasy Reverie.  You know there would be some out there that just want to insert themselves into Star Trek or Game of Thrones!

So, the computer with the child's voice is based on Alexis' late children?  I wonder what happened there?

Right now, Kathryn Morris is getting some easy paychecks, as she's basically only having to do one scene each episode.

Surprised Mara actually did tell Paul and Charlie about seeing her dead niece.  Of course, now the thing is she might not actually take the medicine to help her out on that front.

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, the computer with the child's voice is based on Alexis' late children?

I thought they said it was her brother?

Gotta admit, I've never much liked the anthropomorphization of computers with the characteristics of children.  I'd be more comfortable using a system that presented itself in the character of Goofy the Dog!

• Love 3

I'm confused why there's not a fail safe built in to bring these people out of Reverie without any physical damage. Unless that was explained and I had already zoned out. I suppose there'd be no show then, though.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I'm confused why there's not a fail safe built in to bring these people out of Reverie without any physical damage. Unless that was explained and I had already zoned out. I suppose there'd be no show then, though.

In the first episode they said just unplugging someone from their Reverie can cause catastrophic neurological issues. 

It does seem negligent that they wouldn't be working to develop some kind of way to safely end someone's Reverie if they refused to exit though. But at the same time it seems like Reverie is in some kind of beta test at the moment, so they haven't worked out all the kinks. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

In the first episode they said just unplugging someone from their Reverie can cause catastrophic neurological issues. 

Thanks! Clearly I wasn't paying attention. Yeah, that seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Maximum Taco said:

But at the same time it seems like Reverie is in some kind of beta test at the moment, so they haven't worked out all the kinks. 

It's also a possibility that entertainment is not the primary raison d'être of the Reverie programme.  Kathryn Morris (The PNG) clearly has a nefarious purpose in mind.

• Love 1

I would think that, given the computer power they obviously have in this building, that clients would be required to undergo a complete physical/neuro exam on site before signing the contract, rather than relying on the client's word and an outside MD's exam as to their overall health.  Both episodes now have dealt more with the implied liability issues of the client going rogue in the program, rather than a more straightforward, "He/she is in trouble, let's pull them out."  Personally, if I'm in the reverie, I want the risk involved with climbing Mt. Everest, rather than paying $10k for a ride on a rope tow.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, the computer with the child's voice is based on Alexis' late children?

It's her twin brother, who died as a child. She apparently hasn't yet told anyone the circumstances.

Oh Sarah Shahi... I love you, but I'm really not digging this show.

You know it's bad when I got hung up on why whatshisface told the AI that the baby picture of the client of the week was twenty-five years old. That actress looked much older than 25. And then the dad at the end looked liked he had aged much more than 25 years. Why couldn't they just have said 30 or 35?

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked last week's more than this week.  I'm glad the dream world is more sophisticated and Mara isn't immediately identified as foreign.  The concept of the spy game was interesting.

This week didn't work for me because it got annoying fast with the "patient" refusing Mara's help.  This show is going to get old fast if every week, we get a new hostile patient being reticent.  

Plus it doesn't help when I'm only connected to the main character (though I don't know how many more episodes I can handle with the ghost niece).  As said above, it was an incredibly clunky way to get Mara to interact with Alexis.  If she's such a computer genius, wouldn't she program the AI not to randomly mention her childhood to random co-workers?   I don't feel anything towards any of the other supporting characters either.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I am enjoying the series thus far. I think it's a good summer show, so I'm in. I like the growth of the dream world quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to what types of worlds they can create with whatever budget the show has. 

I'm hesitant on this whole Mara is hallucinating thing. I think they're heading toward a "Mara is dumb by not following the rules" plot, which is a typically cliche TV trope, and I hate stupid characters. However, her character is the only one getting true development, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. 

Alexis is kind of getting stuff with her dead twin brother as the AI, but they're probably going to drag that reveal out for a bit. 

Paul could be an intriguing character, and Sendhil Ramamurthy is so pretty to look at. Charlie is less intriguing, I gotta be honest, but he seems to recognize that Mara needs to be closely monitored, due to his history with her. 

The writing is fairly decent for a show like this, though not perfect. I did enjoy Mara being honest with Paul, him recognizing the side effects, and telling her how to make them go away. Unfortunately, what happens next is all on Mara. I guess we could be heading down a more complicated path with all of this, but I'd hate if she was somehow immune to being cured by these hallucination side effects, but I'd also hate if she was stupid and continued to not follow Paul's clear instructions all due to her not processing her grief properly. I get it's probably realistic, but seeing as I've seen variations of this trope multiple times, I'm really, really hesitant on where they're taking this. 

• Love 1

This is the most pathetic ridiculous bunch of crap I've seen this tv season. I think I laughed for like, five minutes straight at the heartfelt reunion scene of the main victim and the sperm donor.

Jane Bond asks Mara what would happen if she shoots her in the reverie. Mara doesn’t seem to know. You would think that Mara would ask someone about it since this seems kinda important, but she just lets it slide. Hey writers, why ask this question if you aren’t going to answer it?

• Love 2
On 6/5/2018 at 6:25 PM, Clanstarling said:

I always have to get over Heroes whenever I see Sendhil - but that's probably because I haven't seen him as a regular character on anything else. He is nice to look at though.

I may have gasped out MOHINDER! when I saw him...

On 6/4/2018 at 9:35 AM, Maximum Taco said:

Your family could probably provide them with e-mails and pictures and texts and whatever (assuming they could get your password or your phone or whatnot) or even notes or a journal you write on *shudder* paper. I mean they don't have to respect your privacy anymore, you're dead (I'm assuming). But if you stay totally off the grid, then yeah, they're pretty much screwed. 

I don't think you need to worry about "ending up back in highschool" because of old pics though. For one I'm sure the date would be taken into account. For two, it seems social media retrieval in this case is more to give a sense of personality. It'll help create a virtual approximation of you that is interested in the same things the real you was. If you post a lot about baseball, they'll make sure the virtual you is similarly interested in that, for example. 

Sounds like you put a lot more thought into this than I did with my tongue-firmly-in-cheek post.  :-)  (I do have a paper journal though.)  But I would hope I wouldn't be dead if I was paying them to put me into my dream world.  

This whole discussion is moo though, after watching the 2nd episode where it seems you can create any world you want.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Nessie said:

Sounds like you put a lot more thought into this than I did with my tongue-firmly-in-cheek post.  :-)  (I do have a paper journal though.)  But I would hope I wouldn't be dead if I was paying them to put me into my dream world.  

This whole discussion is moo though, after watching the 2nd episode where it seems you can create any world you want.

Oh this is a Reverie for you? I assumed you were worried about how you would be represented in someone else's Reverie.

Since the hardware is implanted directly into your brain you don't need to worry about your own Reverie; you are probably represented by exactly how you perceive yourself. I guess if you have really low self esteem (or a high degree of vanity) that could result in a "you" that was very different from reality but most people would probably be pretty close to the genuine article.

10 hours ago, Nessie said:

Me too - I had to look up his actual name (or maybe some other poster said it). He is, for better or worse (mostly worse) always Mohinder to me. Maybe this series will change it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

Since the hardware is implanted directly into your brain you don't need to worry about your own Reverie; you are probably represented by exactly how you perceive yourself.

I thought the entire point of the Reverie was to appear as you fantasize yourself to be, not as you know you actually are.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I thought the entire point of the Reverie was to appear as you fantasize yourself to be, not as you know you actually are.

Ah, but so many of us don't perceive ourselves as our actual selves, but as the fantasy version of ourselves. See that a lot in public figures, as well as private.

• Love 1

I like the premise of this show and it's visually stunning at times, but I wish they weren't trying to do quite so much.  I'm not really interested in Mara's back story and, for that matter, why didn't they make her a psychologist or psychiatrist instead of a former hostage negotiator?  That seems kind of random.

What I'd like to see is something like (I'm dating myself here) Fantasy Island where the whole gist of the episode is the person living out their fantasy and perhaps realizing that it's not all it's what they expected.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Fair. But when I fantasize I usually still look like myself in my fantasies. Like maybe I'm a bit more in shape, but I don't fantasize that I look like Idris Elba or anything. 

• Love 1

Mara must find out why a family man is robbing banks in Reverie; Mara's de-realizations put her life in danger.

I skipped last week's episode, so  thought I'd give this one a chance.

Ashley Zuckerman guest stars.

Didn't the Indian guy say that in order to stop the hallucinations she had to take the pills ASAP?  Because I thought it was implied that if she didn't the hallucinations would become permanent.  As of right now, I'm assuming that everything after Mara puts on her blue coat at the end.of the episode is a dream.

I like that the show seems to be giving the side cast more depth and moving away from the "case of the week" format.  A minor quibble I have with the show is that it needs to be established what happens to Mara if she dies in the program.  She's unconcerned when walking up to guys with guns in a standoff, but panics when the truck she's trapped in is about to hit a wall. Does she die as well (highly unlikely), does she just wake up with a headache...?

As soon as the Indian guy said he made a reverie of his childhood home, I could just hear DiCaprio's character from Inception screaming "NEVER DREAM ABOUT SOME PLACE YOU'VE ACTUALLY BEEN".

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Aliconehead said:

I believe she is in a Reverie. I am just not sure if she has been in one all along or just this once.  Maybe her reverie was to feel wanted and needed. 

This was my thought while watching the first episode.

• Love 2

I figure the ending was her in a Reverie, but the question is when she got in her own Reverie. I thought, at first, maybe she went into Reverie at the end to conquer her fear of the house, but then she was legit confused at the end, as if she didn't know she was in Reverie, and we know everyone, thus far, has remembered they're not in the real world.

I still think that Mara is kind of stupid in her grief, and now Charlie's enabling her (unless he was part of the Reverie at the end). 

I'm not sure how I'd feel if she'd been in Reverie this entire time. That would mean she literally Inception'd herself. 

I am also expecting a point in this season to come where Mara tries to exit the program and can't. I've been expecting that to happen when Paul told her the code to get out if she ever got stuck, because obviously they're setting up some sort of malfunction as a "twist".

I did like Paul's growth as a character, and I didn't mind Alexis' scene with Mara. Alexis and Paul, though, are the only characters I marginally have an interest in. Sarah Shahi is an excellent actress, as she's pulling off some good scenes with shitty dialogue. Her scene with Brynn at the beginning was only tolerable because of her acting choices. 

• Love 2

So did Mara just Inception herself by accident? Someone get her a top to spin! Now I do kind of wonder if this whole thing has been a Reverie for Mara, but then why would we have scenes with other people where she isnt involved? I dont know, maybe its just to make the story more authentic? 

Looks like we are getting close to something of a more serialized plot, and i think it has some potential. I still like that there doesn't seem to be a villain, bit there does seem to be more going on here. Maybe with the tech itself? I do like how they are using the plots of the week so far, and how different they are from each other. I figured what the guys deal was pretty quickly (I am man and must protect!), especially when they established him as being a guy used to supporting people, but I liked how it turned out, and them explaining that, yeah, his wife doesn't expect him to fight off knife wielding lunatics for her. I thought that he would get closure by beating up the Mad Max lookalike, and I was glad that he actually got closure just fingering the guy. Its a much better ending, and a better message to send then "yes, definitely fight against the gang member with a knife to reclaim your masculinity and feelings of power!" 

I like getting to know Paul and Alexis more (so much so that I actually know their names!) but they still arent super interesting characters. But, its only episode three, so they still have time to get more interesting. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Um, in what universe does a (at least at one time) scared witness get asked to ID a dangerous, gang member suspect face-to-face in a parking lot???

Not in the L&O universe, that's for sure.

• Love 2

I think there's a possibility that the program is developing its own sort of AI, and beginning to run rogue with the clients.  That might be the upcoming story arc. 

I also think this week's client's wife has a case anyway.  There's no way a company of this sort would allow its clients to take home a ReverieTablet and enter/exit at their leisure.  The liabilities are endless.

3 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I think there's a possibility that the program is developing its own sort of AI, and beginning to run rogue with the clients.  That might be the upcoming story arc. 

I also think this week's client's wife has a case anyway.  There's no way a company of this sort would allow its clients to take home a ReverieTablet and enter/exit at their leisure.  The liabilities are endless.

I like your ideas^^, @Dowel Jones, but it seems they need to keep any additional serial story arc pretty simple and unsophisticated given the 42 minute format + special effects + multiple realities + the ever-increasing complexity of the main characters' back stories.  So I don't see how they can also introduce the legal liability ramifications and a HAL-the-computer arc while weaving these really complicated character motivations. 

And I doubt I'll still be watching if/when they do go there.

• Love 2
On 6/7/2018 at 11:38 AM, tennisgurl said:

Given that German was my second language it took me WAAAY too long to figure it out. I was mostly going "huh, they misspelled Vader." LOL. But at least I got there before the show explained it. Sigh...

On 6/7/2018 at 3:18 PM, calliope1975 said:

Yeah, a failsafe would seem to be the first thing you'd create before sending it out to human trials.

On 6/7/2018 at 6:36 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

You know it's bad when I got hung up on why whatshisface told the AI that the baby picture of the client of the week was twenty-five years old. That actress looked much older than 25. And then the dad at the end looked liked he had aged much more than 25 years. Why couldn't they just have said 30 or 35?

That did take me aback, since she does not look like she's in her 20s. The actress is in her early 30s, I just looked it up. Some manage to play younger with ease, but she didn't give that vibe at all. As for the father, I thought he was about right.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:11 PM, Camera One said:

I liked last week's more than this week.  I'm glad the dream world is more sophisticated and Mara isn't immediately identified as foreign.  The concept of the spy game was interesting.

If she's such a computer genius, wouldn't she program the AI not to randomly mention her childhood to random co-workers?   I don't feel anything towards any of the other supporting characters either.  

I was surprised she couldn't just "create" her fancy clothing on her own. Seems like that would be part of the package.

As for the AI, well, that's the downside right, at some point this artificial intelligence starts operating on its own.

On 6/9/2018 at 5:18 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I am enjoying the series thus far. I think it's a good summer show, so I'm in. I like the growth of the dream world quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to what types of worlds they can create with whatever budget the show has.

I am too. I think perhaps I like the concept a bit too much - because I'd totally be immersed way too often if I had it available to me. On the other hand, I am firmly against implanting tech that isn't health related. Especially something that would mess with my brain.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:04 AM, CooperTV said:

This is the most pathetic ridiculous bunch of crap I've seen this tv season. I think I laughed for like, five minutes straight at the heartfelt reunion scene of the main victim and the sperm donor.

I found it touching, but then, I'm in a similar position in regards to natal family.

• Love 2
On 6/14/2018 at 2:40 PM, tennisgurl said:

I do like how they are using the plots of the week so far, and how different they are from each other. I figured what the guys deal was pretty quickly (I am man and must protect!), especially when they established him as being a guy used to supporting people, but I liked how it turned out, and them explaining that, yeah, his wife doesn't expect him to fight off knife wielding lunatics for her. I thought that he would get closure by beating up the Mad Max lookalike, and I was glad that he actually got closure just fingering the guy. Its a much better ending, and a better message to send then "yes, definitely fight against the gang member with a knife to reclaim your masculinity and feelings of power!" 

This is the second time that they did something along these lines. In the pilot, Mara doesn't guarantee to bring the kid's father home. She just says she's going to do all she could. These are small things, but I appreciate that the show is avoiding these things at least. 

On 6/14/2018 at 5:07 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

Um, in what universe does a (at least at one time) scared witness get asked to ID a dangerous, gang member suspect face-to-face in a parking lot???

And then there's this. Besides making sure that his life is now in danger, a decent lawyer would likely be able to get the witness ID thrown out. Seeing someone in handcuffs or being taken out of the back of a police car has an affect on the witness. If the police arrested / detained him, he must be guilty. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Unfortunately, I found this one a little tedious to get through.  I think the show is starting to lose me.  

For the second week, I just didn't care about the person Mara was trying to save.  I don't know how many more weeks I can stand with Mara convincing stubborn people to leave.  I still like Mara but her hallucinations are getting to be tiresome and I'm not intrigued by the niece.  I still don't remember any of the supporting characters' names, which is not a good sign. 

I did like the tech guy showing Mara his own Reverie, but throwing in "surprise" elements since it knows what you *really* want/need is just creepy.  How was being dragged across town in the motorcycle supposed to help?  Why does Mara keep trying to reach out to that ice cold engineer?  Everyone should have Reverie?  Uh, no thanks.

Maybe the shady investor lady wants to use Reverie as an interrogation/torture technique for captured spies or to train people for traumatic missions, and they're testing this new program on Mara to see how it would fare.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Camera One said:

Everyone should have Reverie? 

I have to admit, that one scene was a favorite of mine throughout the show.  When Alexis started rattling off the standard presentation jargon, Mara caught my reaction just perfectly:  Snoooore.....

• Love 1
On 6/14/2018 at 7:04 AM, Enigma X said:

This was my thought while watching the first episode.

I remembered you while I watched it. :)

On 6/14/2018 at 2:07 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

Maybe a Reverie universe (in that perhaps it isn't real).

On 6/16/2018 at 6:27 PM, Camera One said:

Maybe the shady investor lady wants to use Reverie as an interrogation/torture technique for captured spies or to train people for traumatic missions, and they're testing this new program on Mara to see how it would fare.

This rings a bell, but I can't remember ... Altered Carbon maybe?

• Love 1

Screen+Shot+2018-06-13+at+10.02.21+AM+%2

Alexis’s (Jessica Lu) former partner Oliver Hill (guest star John Fletcher) resurfaces and warns Mara (Sarah Shahi) that Reverie 2.0 has some dangerous side effects. Back at Onira-Tech, a BCI is stolen and Mara must go into a rogue Reverie.

Did everyone decide to drop this show en masse, LOL?  I forgot it aired last night but saw it on my PVR so I watched it.

This week's guest of the week was a bit more likeable, though did he say why he wasn't taking medication for his disorder?  It always seems clunky whenever Mara brings up a personal story to try to get the guest/victim on her side.  

I did find it interesting that he made a reverie to practice breaking into that medical facility, though it seems rather pointless and a little cruel to have him go through the whole theft scenario without knowing that it was a setup.  It was highly unbelievable that the guards and the employees at the facility acted like robots and their movements could be predicted exactly.  Why wouldn't anyone else be using that blue hallway?  

It seems like one of the elements every week is Mara trying to gain the trust of the cold engineer and it's not warming the cockles of my heart.  I wasn't too intrigued by the unstable ex-boyfriend of that engineer. 

The dark web stuff was confusing.

Overall, this week wasn't bad, but it wasn't too good, and given the waning interest, this show's probably going to reverie itself out of existence soon.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Camera One said:

Did everyone decide to drop this show en masse, LOL?  I forgot it aired last night but saw it on my PVR so I watched it.

5 hours ago, bros402 said:

Not surprised to see it drop below 2 mil already

It was already dead on arrival to begin tbh.

2 hours ago, janeta said:

This ep was a bit better; i actually forgot to watch it last week.  

I forgot it last week, too. I made an effort to watch this week (set a digital reminder). I liked this episode and will try to keep watching though I still haven't committed to the show. 

Even though I'm lukewarm about it I'll be sorry if Reverie ends up as a one-season show because there isn't a lot of sci-fi on TV that isn't relentlessly dark, grim and bloody. I like seeing good uses for awesome tech that lead to happy endings like this week's. This was a "small" story where the result is that three people are going to go forward with better lives than before. 

Every last stinkin' show which starts off with a handful of people using extraordinarily powerful tech or magic eventually ends up dragging in a shadowy organization of humorless, power-mad bureaucrats whose raison d'être is to take all the fun and wonder out of things. It appears to have started already. I'm going to hang around for a few more episodes until the meddling ramps up, then I'm probably out.

• Love 4

I was a bit meh on this episode, but I will give credit to the actor playing the heist dude. Specifically in the way he called out "don't touch that" and "I can't clean that" (when Haysbert touched the window) rang really true to me. His tone was spot on.

That said, I think it's preposterous that Magic Mara was somehow able to help him more than what was implied were at least one if not more medical professionals. That dude has at least a psychiatrist; why show the pill bottles otherwise. He might be non-compliant, but it annoys me that the show essentially presents Mara as being able to talk anyone into anything. Being a police negotiator is a skill I can see her using in many situations, but they're pushing credulity with this one. (I do get that they were sort implying he was nearly there himself out of care for the kid...but I still don't like how every episode is basically a deus ex Mara).

• Love 1
On 6/14/2018 at 2:07 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

This gave me pause as well, although the one time I did have to try to identify someone, it was in a parking lot. It wasn't quite as bad as this was presented though, and it wasn't a gang member. The police made it so I could see the suspect but he couldn't see me, so that much was good. I guess I'm saying, the part of this that I thought was most ridiculous was that they could both see each other, but not really the rest of the set up.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:13 PM, Loandbehold said:

Besides making sure that his life is now in danger, a decent lawyer would likely be able to get the witness ID thrown out. Seeing someone in handcuffs or being taken out of the back of a police car has an affect on the witness. If the police arrested / detained him, he must be guilty. 

Didn't they pick up the suspect in the first place because of some pretty specific tattoos? Since the witness mentioned said tattoos before, I wonder how successful this argument would really be.I don't think they implied his tattoos were common, so while the cuffs would normally create a bias, the consistent-with-the-story-all-along tattoos are a pretty good confirmation on their own. Or would it not matter?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

He might be non-compliant, but it annoys me that the show essentially presents Mara as being able to talk anyone into anything. 

It's practically becoming a drinking game whenever Mara comes up with some personal anecdote as she tries to "connect" with someone.  The writing can use some subtlety.

• Love 2