Type keyword(s) to search

Caroline Stanbury: The Gift Librarian

She's such a condescendingly snobby, elitist British bitch who looks down on all the others with such a self-satisfactory sense of smugness.

Which means I kinda love her.

• Love 7

I'm intrigued by her Vestey bragging.  Her mother's mother was the daughter of the 1st Baron's second son.  It would be easier to say that her grandmother was the granddaughter of the first baron I know.  But I wanted to highlight the lines of descent here.  The idea that she has some kind of lingering glamor, wealth and prestige via this familial tie seems downright ridiculous.

Also I wonder if we will ever see the inside ofher house other than want I strongly suspect is the real estate listing video when the Stanbury's don't have the check from this show to cover their financial gaps.

Every comment she made snidely about the others sounded more like a running commentary of her own sad life.  Fashion victim?  Wearing an overpriced nad overwroughtly shredded denim jacket over a dress thirteen year olds can buy at the Gap for their first group date to show how ennuied she is it by it all at the polo day?  Check.  Pointing out how one can buy one's way to the table but not be completely accepted?  Check. 

And whoever her publicist and stylist are should both be fired.  Anyone that let's their boss pay them and still let them adopt a ridiculous hairstyle coupled with that overdone face?  Stanbury looks like an overfed constipated surly dog from the neck up.

• Love 4

I really don't like her.  She made some comment about fitting in more in America.  Sorry, but no

I did not understand wtf she was even saying.  This is the same person who refused to emote at a sporting event in the last episode?  She thinks she'll fit in better in the US?  Hmmm. No. Stay in the UK.

• Love 2
(edited)

She seems to be a snobby titled Brit who need dough, so she married some hedge funder who probably makes a living laundering money for Russian oligarchs.  High class, indeed.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 4

Yeah I get the sense she married him for money and he is suppose to quietly take care of the bills and leave her the limelight. 

In other news I have a great little green scrubber that really gets the cooked on guck out of pot edges that is a miniature of that Cavelli she wore last night.  She looked hideous.  And hilarious.  The shape of that dress looked like she was birthing some kind of sea sponge.

• Love 3

Ok, I'm wavering between finding her horribly entertaining and just horrible. She does like to brag. About everything. My favorite was her bragging about her huge homes that has 6 or 7 bedrooms. She never counted. Loved that one. She can't count to 7? That's a big house for sure, but it's not exactly Downton Abby. I know people in boring old suburban California that have 5 and 6 bedrooms. But I kind of love stuff like that because she really doesn't seem to know how stupid she sounds. Like acting appalled Caprice would work with the press...while she's on a tacky Bravo show.

• Love 1

I did not understand wtf she was even saying.  This is the same person who refused to emote at a sporting event in the last episode?  She thinks she'll fit in better in the US?  Hmmm. No. Stay in the UK.

She wouldn't last 5 minutes in the South. We all have that one auntie or grandmother that would rip her a new one for trying to be so high-falutin'.

• Love 2

I do love her company though.  What a great idea.

I'm curious if most of her income comes from selling the actual items versus selling the catalog.  There is some super high end catalogs that sell things like private planes, private boats, I mean things that no one can afford, but they sell so many copies of the catalog to people that are just fascinated by the lifestyle of the super rich.  It was like people who would watch lifestyles of the rich and famous....

A comment to last night's episode...

I must be slow.  I had no idea Caroline S. was Prince Andrew's ex.  Saw that in a Daily Mail article when I was scanning for info on The Gift Library. 

In looking this up, I saw a reference that she was Sylvester Stallone's ex as well (??!?).

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 1

A comment to last night's episode...

In looking this up, I saw a reference that she was Sylvester Stallone's ex as well (??!?).

How on earth did she meet Stallone? 

ETA:  I have always felt her business name was terrible.  The Gift Library?  I would assume it's centered around books and maybe gifts for book lovers? 

Edited by psychoticstate
  • Love 1

Including the word library in the name of the business invokes the idea that they loan expensive items.  In fact when the show first started, that's what I thought it was - sort of like Rent The Runway (for clothing) or Bag Borrow or Steal (for handbags.)  A way for people who couldn't afford to actually buy a high-ticket item to just 'borrow' one for a while. 

Edited by Feline Goddess
  • Love 4

How on earth did she meet Stallone? 

ETA:  I have always felt her business name was terrible.  The Gift Library?  I would assume it's centered around books and maybe gifts for book lovers?

And how did Stallone break up with her? FedEx? Royal Mail?

Hugh is more of a "get" but, she didn't.

Imho, The Gift Library is up there with the all-time most worstest ever business names.

I cannot imagine hearing, or reading, the word library and not thinking, BOOKS!

The name of Gift Library doesn't bother me. It's really on trend to use the word library for its most basic meaning right now (a building housing a collection). I know 5 people right off the top of my head working at places called The (insert trendy thing) Library. Libraries are having a moment with the hipsters so I don't dislike the name or even think it's causing undue confusion with her target audience. I do however think it looks like she has crap business sense. As near as I can tell she's acting as an online luxury item overstock/personal shopper. Her overhead should be so very small. Cheap warehousing basically since her clients aren't supposed to see the workspace. Those offices are a waste of money.

• Love 2

The name of Gift Library doesn't bother me. It's really on trend to use the word library for its most basic meaning right now (a building housing a collection). I know 5 people right off the top of my head working at places called The (insert trendy thing) Library. Libraries are having a moment with the hipsters so I don't dislike the name or even think it's causing undue confusion with her target audience. I do however think it looks like she has crap business sense. As near as I can tell she's acting as an online luxury item overstock/personal shopper. Her overhead should be so very small. Cheap warehousing basically since her clients aren't supposed to see the workspace. Those offices are a waste of money.

There is a college bar with go-go dancers in Arizona called the Library.  So there is that.

I'm sorry? I'm really not sure what to say. The business will probably be closed soon anyway? Caroline S doesn't really look like she has good business sense?

I don't think Caroline is a good businesswoman.  I remember when they shot footage of her during Christmas.  Her assistant said that the supplier wasn't going to be able to get the order to them in time, which would meant that they couldn't get the orders out by Christmas.  Caroline didn't even pick up the phone to put in a personal call to the supplier, she just sort of went onto the next thing.  If you have a business that depends on gifting, during the busiest gifting season of the year, and you can't be bothered to put in a personal call to a supplier thats not good.  When I was trying to put a proposal together I would put in a call to anyone to get a break on pricing or to find a workaround out of a problem.  She never seemed to call any other suppliers to see if she could get someone else to supply what it was she was looking for.  She just did nothing.  I think if it was really her butt on the line...like she would be sleeping on the streets if the business failed she might do more.  But she has a pretty cushy safety net.  I hope her employees do too.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

I'm sorry? I'm really not sure what to say. The business will probably be closed soon anyway? Caroline S doesn't really look like she has good business sense?

Oh gosh.

Absolutely no offense was intended by my rather passionate opposition to new business uses of "library". I think it can leave potential customers in a quandary and it leaves readers with a pretty big, Huh?

I think CarolineS enjoys playing at being a business owner. She doesn't appear to do much work. And she doesn't seem to care about her soon to be out of work employees.

• Love 3

I think CarolineS enjoys playing at being a business owner. She doesn't appear to do much work. And she doesn't seem to care about her soon to be out of work employees.

And her flippant attitude and comment that "Cem would never let HER fall"  really pissed me off.  Not everyone has a rich husband to

cushion the fallout for bad business decisions.  Most people work for a living because they, ya know, HAVE TO.

• Love 4

I totally agree. Those would be great comebacks, but these women turn into deer caught in the headlights..and  grumble and whine afterwards.

I'll go further and say she needs a full-time worthy adversary.

So far Juliet has tried but is is no match...as in the husband humping issue, where she quickly folded.

I like Annabelle Nielson in the role of worthy adversary and she did take CS on face to face once, but hasn't pushed it. I want to know if CS can take as much as she dishes out, & someone who stands up to her could settle that question.

• Love 1

To me being an asshole back isn't the answer. As Caroline S. Even acknowledged if she is the common denominator perhaps she is the problem. The ridiculous and nasty way she took back her barely in apology to Julie the next morning says a lot about her and how she would respond.

Also, I didn't see any great advice at that lunch with Julie she implied she was stupid and out right said the lunch was a waste of her time.

• Love 3

In real-life situations, I tend to agree. On Bravo, though...

That said, the apology take-back was vile and I would like to retract all previous praise of Caroline S! Yecch. (After all these years of watching Bravo shows, you'd think I'd have learned not to get attached to any of their reality characters.)

The apology take-back was vile to me, because it was so unnecessary and just so mean spirited.  There is nothing joyous about seeing a stronger person beat up on a weaker person.  Yeah, if you engage an equal adversary in a battle of snark its entertaining, but Caroline was just picking on a weaker person for sport.  I don't like watching that.

I just caught up with this season and I have to hand to Stansbury.  She gave the producers exactly what they wanted in terms of the Upper Crust Brits versus the American strivers.   All the while ignoring the elephant in the room that is her husband.  For all her talk about the others being on the outside trying to get in, she never once let it even be hinted at that, sad and really pathetic as it is, marriage to Cem took her out of whatever fringe circle of Palace-centric society she liked to pretend to (five minutes of dating Prince Andrew in the Buckingham blitz to shore up Andrew's post-divorce image doesn't count no matter how much she tries to drop all kinds of unspoken regard in that area).

I do think it funny if hugely hypocritical, that she managed to finese Caprise who tried to play all kinds of reality show games with Caprise getting the good guy edit.  Caprise got the heave and on comes just as equally thirsty and desperate for attention Caroline Fleming and the reality show games got even worse in many ways.  AS much as I hated the forced 'Housewives" type drama this season, it did make me laugh thinking of Caprise somewhere trying to get her face to exhibit outrage as she watched Stansbury do exactly what she tried to do last season.

AND she did it all while doing her best impression of Nero fiddling as Rome burned.

She does need to stop wearing big high collars.  With her propensity to look a touch jowl-ish simply due to the shape of her face and those over done eyes of hers, she constantly looked like a belligerent toad.

• Love 3