Type keyword(s) to search

Diagnostics: New Amsterdam in the Media & Ratings

• Start Topic

I love Ryan Eggold, I still lament the loss of The Blacklist: Redemption (which was way better than it had any right to be), and I love this entire cast full of familiar and likeable faces, so I will definitely be watching this.

• Love 1

I like Eggold too but this looks drippy. When he says you're all fired - I mean it,"  he really doesn't sound like he means it. He has such a widdle lickle voice. I can't see a commander. PLUS NBC are doing this to rival The Good Doctor and it won't compete. It will be E.R.Lite.

I was just coming to post about the full-season order.  Haven't had a chance to watch Episode 3 yet, but I have to think that the cast is a huge part of the show's success.  Unless there's a huge shift between Episodes 2 and 3, the premise is still waaaaaaaaay too unbelievable.

2 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

I was just coming to post about the full-season order.  Haven't had a chance to watch Episode 3 yet, but I have to think that the cast is a huge part of the show's success.  Unless there's a huge shift between Episodes 2 and 3, the premise is still waaaaaaaaay too unbelievable.

People seem to really like the show, and not just for the cast. I personally can't stand the show and still keep trying to watch each new episode and still being unable to finish any of the three, but it does seem to be the most popular freshman show this season so far. So, I am fully expecting it to get renewed for a second season now.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

People seem to really like the show, and not just for the cast. I personally can't stand the show and still keep trying to watch each new episode and still being unable to finish any of the three, but it does seem to be the most popular freshman show this season so far. So, I am fully expecting it to get renewed for a second season now.

If the number of people commenting is any indication of the show's popularity, then the network is going to regret giving it a full season order.

On 10/10/2018 at 6:38 PM, eel2178 said:

If the number of people commenting is any indication of the show's popularity, then the network is going to regret giving it a full season order.

I think the fact that it wins its timeslot is a better indicator of the show's popularity.  NBC is obviously happy with their return on investment.

• Love 3
On 1/12/2020 at 2:56 AM, bros402 said:

I have no idea why they renewed it for 3 more seasons. Maybe they needed to lock down some of the actors? Or maybe they wanted to lock in salaries/production costs?

I agree.  Just read where this was renewed but I'm sorry, I wasn't "feeling" the 1st half of this season and yeah, can't wait for this prison escape scenario to play out.   Another show I had high hopes and promise for but it's disappointing me this season.

New Amsterdam Pulls Flu Pandemic Episode, Further Shortening Season: 'The World Needs Less Fiction Right Now, And More Facts'

https://tvline.com/2020/03/25/new-amsterdam-season-2-shortened-episode-pulled-coronavirus/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_campaign=BreakingNews&utm_content=198060_03-25-2020_headline&utm_term=335954

Probably a good idea to pull the episode but I completely disagree that we need less fiction. We're on fact overload and in desperate need of some escape.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Sake614 said:

New Amsterdam Pulls Flu Pandemic Episode, Further Shortening Season: 'The World Needs Less Fiction Right Now, And More Facts'

https://tvline.com/2020/03/25/new-amsterdam-season-2-shortened-episode-pulled-coronavirus/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_campaign=BreakingNews&utm_content=198060_03-25-2020_headline&utm_term=335954

Probably a good idea to pull the episode but I completely disagree that we need less fiction. We're on fact overload and in desperate need of some escape.

We need good escapist fiction - not close to the real world fiction

• Love 1
On 4/28/2021 at 2:14 PM, DanaK said:

Season finale June 8 according to the Futon Critic

Just saw Max and Helen on my local NBC affiliate, WRAL, talking about the finale and what they foresee for the future.  Both hope they open open up and share how they feel. Not sure if that happens. Max asked about his health...he doesn’t commit.  I’ll post link if I can locate it.  Was on noon news today.  

It’s not surprising. The writers didn’t learn from their mistakes in S3 and they kept pushing the dumbest most nonsensical storylines this season. (I mean, did anyone really care about boring ass Lyn and who her baby’s daddy is? The writers sure seemed to think we did. And Max can only manage to run an alley clinic and an urgent care facility is the only place a surgeon like Claude can find work?) By the time Helen and Max were having phone sex in the most recent episode I couldn’t stop laughing, and I am a tried and true Sharpwin shipper. 

Put it out of its misery. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Next season (5) will be the last season, with 13 episodes https://tvline.com/2022/03/14/new-amsterdam-cancelled-ending-season-5-nbc-finale/

Is anyone surprised? What started as a decent show with tons of potential(I understood the 3 season renewal back in Season 1 when the show was new and wholesome and could be easily molded into something great)quickly nosedived into something inconsistent, silly and ridiculous. The writing and plot lines this season are some of the worst I’ve seen on network TV this year. And while the acting from the cast is solid, it isn’t enough to carry the show to greater heights. With this season in particular, the ‘More Joy’ tagline was its undoing, for me. Because it’s been everything but. All the meandering side plots, bland new characters(with the exception of Wilder, who is great but seems very temporary and therefore hard to get invested in)and lame interpersonal dramas makes watching more of a chore than anything. I used to look forward to this show on Tuesdays but watching quickly became exhausting. But who knows, now that they know the end’s in sight, maybe the final season will be better than what’s aired so far. At the very least I hope it’s something hopeful; real life is dreary enough. 

• Love 5

Well at least it won't go on and on like ER did and hopefully they can tie storylines up in a bow..

Floyd goes back to his fiance and marries his mother off to someone who can take care of her

Iggy gets a new career or decides to be a house husband 

Casey is running something....a clinic the ER, something

Leyla never lets Lauren (?) back into her life and she leaves to open up a drug rehab

Max and Helen realize that he has done all the damage that he can in New York, save NA from the evil beast, leaves in in the hands of Wilder(?) and then he and Helen move permanently to London where she is an administrator and he spend his time writing articles about what is wrong with the NHS....

• Love 2
3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Well at least it won't go on and on like ER did and hopefully they can tie storylines up in a bow..

Floyd goes back to his fiance and marries his mother off to someone who can take care of her

Iggy gets a new career or decides to be a house husband 

Casey is running something....a clinic the ER, something

Leyla never lets Lauren (?) back into her life and she leaves to open up a drug rehab

Max and Helen realize that he has done all the damage that he can in New York, save NA from the evil beast, leaves in in the hands of Wilder(?) and then he and Helen move permanently to London where she is an administrator and he spend his time writing articles about what is wrong with the NHS....

ER really ran about 3-4 seasons longer than it should have, and I say that as someone who calls that one of my favorite shows of all time.

My guess is that we end on a Sharpwin wedding or baby. Maybe we’ll even get to see Luna?! 

I hope Leyla and Lauren don’t get back together either. Lauren really doesn’t deserve a second chance with her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

So once the series is over, I am going to have to try to figure out who the worst doctor of the series was - since I do not think I did worst doctor from the start. The bigger questions is: what are we gonna hate watch next?

Looked it up - apparently I started Worst Doctor with season 3, when chemo brain was mentioned - then I did another one while on percocet following a bone marrow biopsy (I do not remember this episode at all)

• Love 1
On 3/15/2022 at 1:05 AM, bros402 said:

So once the series is over, I am going to have to try to figure out who the worst doctor of the series was - since I do not think I did worst doctor from the start. The bigger questions is: what are we gonna hate watch next?

Looked it up - apparently I started Worst Doctor with season 3, when chemo brain was mentioned - then I did another one while on percocet following a bone marrow biopsy (I do not remember this episode at all)

Can you do a poll?  Lol. I know who I’ll cast my votes for.  

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

A poll would be fun, especially if you give a few examples of why each doctor deserves the award.

• LOL 1
On 4/20/2022 at 2:01 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

On 4/20/2022 at 6:40 PM, Driad said:

A poll would be fun, especially if you give a few examples of why each doctor deserves the award.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:02 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't think I could pick just one!

I will definitely do a poll after the series finale, along with my choice of worst doctor of the series

• Love 2