Type keyword(s) to search

WWDITS: Season One Talk

• Start Topic

I loved the movie but I do worry how it's going to translate. I understand it'll be set in New York as a film crew follows another trio of characters. Obviously, I wasn't expecting it to be the same cast and I imagine it's a lot easier to get by as a vampire in New York than a much smaller city in New Zealand. But still. I am excited and hopeful, tho. TBH, I might better like a ten episode series about the werewolves from the film ("we're werewolves, not swearwolves!")

• Love 4

Loved the movie...can't wait to watch this tonight!

And yes, I have one of those Energy Vampires at work. Either she's hovering vulture-like over someone's cubicle regaling us with her most recent family melodrama or she's stapling her work together by pounding the poor stapler with her fist like a small child.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Mongo Like Candy said:

I am SO looking forward to this, albeit with a little trepidation that the movie’s charm may not translate to an ongoing series.  I do like the idea of an energy vampire sucking all the life force out of one’s cubicle (as if it had a lot to begin with).

Read a great review this morning in The Daily Beast. Sounds like they have some great guest stars lined up, and Vanessa Bayer from SNL plays an "emotional vampire".  It's getting really good critical praise.

Some of the jokes in the movie didn't land (for me) but overall, the complete idiocy of it had me lmao. Esp the werewolves, (not swearwolves). 

• Love 3

I am so late to this forum, I didn't even know about the series til a few weeks ago. But man, I've probably watched that movie a hundred times. It is my go-to, feel-good therapy movie. So quotable. I'm a little ticked that Amazon took it off their free Prime list recently but thank goodness I've got the dvd as backup. I'm glad to hear that Waititi and Clement are hands-on. It relieves a little of my anxiety on whether the new cast will be a good fit. 

• Love 3

I just watched the movie about a month ago on Amazon. I had no idea they had dropped it. I know FX was showing it last night. Probably to promote the series.  I might have to hunt down the dvd.  

The part in the movie when the cops come, and they don't see everything that happened, but point out wires hanging loose or no smoke alarms.  And the woman who was the familiar bitching about having to clean all the time.

I also died when they revealed in the movie the "Monster" who had been tormenting Jermaine's character all those years. You think it's going to be one thing, and then when you find out who it is. 

What was the line about doing his bidding, and they ask "what are you bidding on?, " 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I just watched the movie about a month ago on Amazon. I had no idea they had dropped it. I know FX was showing it last night. Probably to promote the series.  I might have to hunt down the dvd. 

The part in the movie when the cops come, and they don't see everything that happened, but point out wires hanging loose or no smoke alarms.  And the woman who was the familiar bitching about having to clean all the time.

I also died when they revealed in the movie the "Monster" who had been tormenting Jermaine's character all those years. You think it's going to be one thing, and then when you find out who it is. 

What was the line about doing his bidding, and they ask "what are you bidding on?, " 

Still playable on Amazon but you have to pay 3.99 rental ☹️ Vlad replied "I am bidding on a taaabul"

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

Still playable on Amazon but you have to pay 3.99 rental ☹️ Vlad replied "I am bidding on a taaable."

I did see that. I may drop the $6.99 and buy it.  You can't get a dvd that cheap. 

That's right! "Leave me to do my dark bidding". 

10 hours ago, vadare said:

I have one of those Energy Vampires at work

I have two. One is a condescending, "let me draw a picture on the white board so you understand what a curb is" asshole, the other is a drama queen who thinks her mistakes are adorable and hilarious, but anyone else making a mistake is a company wide conspiracy to embarrass her.  Doesn't help she's married to the owner. 

Mark Ruffalo is tweeting about the series. He's pals with Taiki from when he directed Thor: Ragnorak. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Mark Ruffalo is tweeting about the series. He's pals with Taiki from when he directed Thor: Ragnorak. 

I love Mark Ruffalo. 

Edited by SoSueMe
didn't read far enough ahead :)
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:
29 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I love Mark Ruffalo. 

Me too!

11 hours ago, teddysmom said:

The Beast! The Beast!  I loved that! Every time he says the name it’s followed by ominous music and Hieronymous Bosch-like depictions of flesh-eating demons. When the identity was revealed at the party, it made perfect sense. That’s just one of the ways the movie charmed me.  🥰

• Love 5

The movie is available on Kanopy right now. Access is free, if your library is affiliated.   Some of Taika's other movies are also available.

I feel lucky, because the energy vampire in my office resigned a couple months ago. I swear, I have breathed easier since she left!  She would pulled the "I have to pee, too"  that Colin used in the pilot.  

Edited by Cactus
  • Love 5

This show was exactly what I needed in my life right now. Not just the energy vampires (we all have those, amirite?), but just having to deal with other people in my life...who hasn't had that awkward encounter with an (kind of) ex? Or roommates who you just get so annoyed with? Or misunderstanding with a friend or SO about an event and it's importance?

If only I could turn into a bat and fly away...

• Love 6

Yeah but do your energy vampires have a white board? Because every time mine starts a conversation about a project we're working on, he feels he has to literally draw a picture.  It's the joke around the office "Tim did this"  "Did he go to the whiteboard?" 

I loved at the end when Guillermo was deciding whether or not to leave the curtains open a little bit.

"I want to have glitter, like in Twilight". 

Crepe paper! Not creep paper!!  Take this shit down! 

I'm glad they added a woman to the cast. Her exasperation with the two male vampires is wonderful. 

I was dying when they were arguing about where Nandor would read the letter.  

• Love 8

It might take me a little while to warm up to these vampires, especially Colin Robinson (although I have had some experience with energy vampires at work 😉 ). But all in all I am enjoying it so far.

I do miss Viago and Co.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

I think my favorite moments were the "I call it Nadja's Theme," gag and Baron Afanas' oblivious shrug to their plans of conquest being filmed by a group of random humans with no explanation whatsoever.

I was a little slow on the uptake re "Nadja's Theme", I was like "hey wait isn't that a song already". 

9 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

little while to warm up to these vampires, especially Colin Robinson (

Mark Proksch is great at playing a  somewhat annoying but probably harmless idiot.  Have you seen his YouTube videos where he would actually go on local tv news stations and pretend to be a yo yo expert which he wasn't, it is so cringe inducing hilarious.  Vince Gilligan saw them online I think before they hired him for Better Call Saul.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9VF7LyffU

• Love 2

Meh I liked it enough I guess.  I've never seen the movie so I'm going into this completely new.  No big belly laughs but a lot of things made me smile and I do like the idea of this show so I will give it another chance. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Cactus said:

feel lucky, because the energy vampire in my office resigned a couple months ago. I swear, I have breathed easier since she left!  She would pulled the "I have to pee, too"  that Colin used in the pilot.  

Edited 12 hours ago by Cactus

Both my energy vampires are on vacation next week. I'm literally counting the hours.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Meh I liked it enough I guess.  I've never seen the movie so I'm going into this completely new.  No big belly laughs but a lot of things made me smile and I do like the idea of this show so I will give it another chance. 

If you enjoyed it at all you owe it to yourself to see the movie, absolutely hilarious. I picked up on so much on repeated viewings especially with closed captions.

3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The scene at the end: So Doris turned into a vampire? 

Do you mean June, the familiar for Lazlo and Nadja? I think she's just pretty much dead.

22 hours ago, Mongo Like Candy said:

The Beast! The Beast!  I loved that! Every time he says the name it’s followed by ominous music and Hieronymous Bosch-like depictions of flesh-eating demons. When the identity was revealed at the party, it made perfect sense. That’s just one of the ways the movie charmed me.  🥰

Wow, I am impressed by your knowledge of art. You made me google, veerry interesting.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 2

Yeah, June. It just looked as if she was gone from that last shot of the Baron’s (💕Doug Jones!) coffin.

I like how the the vampires are rather frumpy and not hot and sexy. 

I’m pissed Amazon dropped the movie from Prime. I planned on watching it after I saw the series promos. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m pissed Amazon dropped the movie from Prime.

You can rent it for $3.99 or buy $6.99 on Amazon.  

I get a distinct Linda Ronstadt vibe from Nadja her hair and just over all looks. 

I loved when the Baron was told about the doc crew and just shrugged like he would completely understand that concept, and not be alarmed a bunch of humans would rat them out. 

• Love 5

Speaking of Amazon prime (sorry for the off topic) there is another freebie right now that is pretty funny. It is a vampire comedy called "I Had a Bloody Good Time at House Harker". Definitely low budget and more in your face than "What We Do In The Shadows" but it does have a lot of stuff going for it. I would rank it as a distant third so far as horror comedies go, after Shaun of the Dead and WWDITS.

• Love 1

Another Amazon Prime over-the-top vampire comedy that I started scratching the itch with as soon as I heard this series was coming is "Young Dracula." It's not quite great, but it's easy popcorn to watch a few episodes at a time of while drinking.

As for WWDITS, holy crap has that theme song gotten itself stuck in my head! This morning I slept long enough to actually enter dream state, which is a rare thing in and of itself. And the experience was made weirder by the fact that a version of that tune, without any clear lyrics, started running through my unconscious brain, so when I first woke up and was still groggy I was going crazy for a few seconds trying to figure out what the hell that song was.

• Love 5

I love the opening credits and song, its been stuck in my head all day!

So many hilarious moments and lines (I died and came back every time the vampires would hiss at each other like angry, wet kitty cats) but I think my favorite bit was the Barons non reaction to the presence of a presumably human camera crew just recording everything going on. Or maybe when Nadja and Lorenzo were "dressing down" to blend in, wearing these super Extra Victorian era outfits. 

I think I might have worked with a few energy vampires over the years...

• Love 5

Really enjoyed the pilot.  Love how much room to grow in NYC there is.  

I have to re-watch the movie as I don't remember who the "monster" was.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, SoSueMe said:

Do you mean June, the familiar for Lazlo and Nadja? I think she's just pretty much dead.

This had me thinking and Googling.  I found this article from MSU.  Very funny.

• LOL 1
23 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

Really enjoyed the pilot.  Love how much room to grow in NYC there is.  

I have to re-watch the movie as I don't remember who the "monster" was.

This had me thinking and Googling.  I found this article from MSU.  Very funny.

🧛‍♀️ ROFL "V8"

"Creepy paper, creepy paper, creepy paper... Ooh, multi-pack!"

I think that was my favorite joke. That, and the Stair Master.

That was Jake McDorman as the reincarnated decapitated knight paramour of Nadja's.

• Love 6

Watched it tonight. Good stuff. I'm hoping it's as good as the original, though American adaptations of English shows don't have a good track record. Oh, wait, New Zealand. Never mind.

I live on Staten Island, so now I have to figure out where that house would be located. I'm just hoping they don't veer towards the Guido stereotypes. Or worse: Guido vampires.

Awwwwww, Nandor made Guillermo a portrait of them. That was oddly sweet. And a kick to the dick neck for Guillermo. Not sure how to feel about Colin; probably because psychic vampires weren't a thing in the movie. Just garden variety vampires. And werewolves.

12 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

As for WWDITS, holy crap has that theme song gotten itself stuck in my head!

What is that, anyway? Nice that was transferred from the movie. It was also in promos for Preacher last year.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

I just watched the pilot, & I plan on continuing to watch. I had never heard of the movie until I heard about this show. I saw it was on FX & watched it to set things up for the series. I think adding a female vampire was a good choice. I hope there is some stuff like

because that one scene was the best thing ever IMO.

Edited by GaT
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

What is that, anyway? Nice that was transferred from the movie. It was also in promos for Preacher last year.

I didn't know either, until I looked it up today. Fucking love that it's an underknown song that is way older than a modern genre that somewhat sounds like it.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I live on Staten Island, so now I have to figure out where that house would be located. I'm just hoping they don't veer towards the Guido stereotypes. Or worse: Guido vampires

Yeah, I'm from Staten Island, and was waiting for something Staten Island-ish, but there was really nothing. 

On 3/29/2019 at 11:30 PM, kariyaki said:

"Creepy paper, creepy paper, creepy paper... Ooh, multi-pack!"

I think that was my favorite joke. That, and the Stair Master.

"Creepy paper" is one of those wondrous, comedic lines that I can now think of while randomly commuting. Passersby must think I'm insane, laughing my head off, alone in my car.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Superclam said:

Yeah, I'm from Staten Island, and was waiting for something Staten Island-ish, but there was really nothing. 

Give them enough time. I will say that any portrayal would be better than MTV's Made in Staten Island. I think only 2-3 episodes aired before it got shelved because of protests. BTW, where are you? I live in Richmondtown.

• Love 1

I left S.I. in '95, but I'm from New Springville. I'd like to see the Island less represented by "The Jersey Shore" or mafia types, but that seems to be the legacy, unfortunately. 

The idea of a vampire coven on Staten Island is absolutely hysterical to me. I'd love to see them at the mall or on the ferry. 

• LOL 1

I was a little worried that this wouldn't hold up to the film, but it did very well.  And that's not easy to do.  It's one of the best comedies ever.  The scene with Nick trying to escape the vampires always has me in tears.

But the new vampires are hilarious.  I also like Guillermo as the familiar.

I wasn't too thrilled about Colin, though.  I think he's there so they can have some of the vampire scenes in the daylight, but he didn't do much for me.  

I'm guessing the Baron is going to be a pile of dust when we see him next, since the windows weren't properly boarded up in the attic.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2019 at 7:55 AM, Superclam said:

eah, I'm from Staten Island, and was waiting for something Staten Island-ish, but there was really nothing. 

It's set in Staten Island but I think they're filming in Toronto or Vancouver. 

On 3/29/2019 at 10:30 PM, kariyaki said:

the Stair Master.

I loved this! "Have it in the attic". "No the Stairmaster is in there". 

This week has been a true bounty of comedy. WWDITS, VEEP, Barry.  The comedy gods are smiling on us. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'm happy that this is finally here! I'm in the camp that Jemaine and Taika can pretty much do no wrong, so I love the movie and love that they continue to be involved in the show.

I loved Nadja's reincarnated lover Gregor/Jeff (hee) being creeped out by her but also wanting to get her number. Ha!

Though the scene was funny, I thought that the makeup/costume on the Baron was genuinely creepy and horror-movie-appropriate. I didn't know it was Doug Jones. Of COURSE it was...I still have nightmares about that nightmarish THING he played in Pan's Labyrinth with the eyeballs on his hands. He's so amazing at playing creepy creatures. 

• Love 5
On 4/1/2019 at 5:48 PM, Iseut said:

I loved Nadja's reincarnated lover Gregor/Jeff (hee) being creeped out by her but also wanting to get her number. Ha!

And I loved how Nadja said his name at first hearing: “Jaaeeff” with the sneer as if smelling something bad. Like how do you keep the magic of reincarnated Gregor alive with a Jaaeeff?  

So far I’m encouraged. It did carry over some of the movie’s charm for me. I’ll tune back for another round. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 3/31/2019 at 2:59 PM, Amethyst said:

I wasn't too thrilled about Colin, though.

Well I was reminded at work that vampires do really walk among us in the daytime.  Every once in a while I am asked to work with the one person.  He never talks, won't even answer, walks really slowly and will take forever to close out if you wait for him.  I am a supervisor when I work with him so I can't leave.  He took 45 minutes to close up.  Normally we are ready to lock the doors when the clock strikes.  He won't let you do any work and just sit there for 8 hours.  When I leave there I feel so depressed and maybe a little suicidal, or perhaps, murderous.  Glad I read the how-to-kill-vampires. 👀

Edited by jumper sage
Hey! I found the emojis - How long have they been there?
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Mongo Like Candy said:

And I loved how Nadja said his name at first hearing: “Jaaeeff” with the sneer as if smelling something bad. Like how do you keep the magic of reincarnated Gregor alive with a Jaaeeff?  

So far I’m encouraged. It did carry over some of the movie’s charm for me. I’ll tune back for another round. 

I love the movie but it's always felt like an extended TV episode to me so an actual TV series seems to fit the material perfectly. 

• Love 4

In the second episode, I was confused as to why Colin was so enthused by the violent craziness at the council meeting (to the point where he couldn't stand up, lol).

Doesn't he get his power from those around him becoming bored and drained of their energy? This seemed like the opposite of that.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Blakeston said:

In the second episode, I was confused as to why Colin was so enthused by the violent craziness at the council meeting (to the point where he couldn't stand up, lol).

Maybe his deal is to bore people until they get enraged?  

I  have been to these city council/ zoning meetings, they nailed it.   The lighting, the way it's filmed for public access tv, the audience, the people who think getting to the microphone is their chance to demand action and bore everyone to death.

This episode was just wall to wall hilarious.   I love Nadja. My niece is a little bit of a cosplayer nerd and she gets bullied by her online video game partners a little. I feel like (without the neck biting) sometimes I want to tell her "take control and stand up to these assholes. Shit on their graves!!"

When Lazlo went to the CC president's house and then killed the raccoons and piled the skins on her porch.  "Is this MS 13?"  I would love to be able to get rid of the raccoons that trash my patio like it's their fucking fraternity house party.  Does that clarinet thing really work? 

And Doug Peters  ...son.    I have to tell you, having a CC member go crazy like that would certainly liven things up. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8