Type keyword(s) to search

WWDITS: Season One Talk

• Start Topic

The show made it to basic Hulu at last, and I binged it this week.

I knew this couldn't equal the movie and its special weird mix of charms.  It was always going to be hard to match Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement.  However, there is a lot to love and to laugh at hysterically.  Next season I'd like it if they could tighten up the episode continuity and dial back the sex jokes a little.  Even if they don't I'll still watch.

The jokes are so fast and funny!  I'm glad Taika and Jemaine were involved.  And all these actors committed so hard to this.  Matt Berry is killing it as a vampire, and Natasia Demetriou is great too.  They make a surprisingly sweet blood thirsty couple.  Every time he yells BAT! it makes me laugh.

I'm surprisingly invested in Guillermo the accidental vampire slayer.  I really want to see what he does next!  I assume he's a reference to Guillermo Del Toro, whose debut Cronos is a great vampire movie that is more on the horror side.  He was also behind The Strain.

The vampire council scene made me laugh the hardest.  I was happy to see the original characters, and then they kept trotting out more guests.  They had great luck with supporting actors, even getting Doug Jones.  Sorry Jake McDorman was gone so soon, but it was fun to see him.

Onward season 2!

• Love 3

I missed it again. I checked, and it's not due on. I got the fx app for roku, and the show is on, but not the movie. I have some free time this weekend and I'm just going to bite the $5 bullet and get it from Amazon prime. #firstworldproblems

Popping in to say that I made this part of my "quarantine viewing"/catch-up finally, and just finished the first season.  I honestly probably should have started it sooner, but I wonder if part of me was hesitant since I adored the film so much, and I was just worried that it wouldn't match it or its characters.  Thankfully, those concerns have pretty much been voided now, but it definitely helps that even though they aren't on screen (well, except that one time!), it is obvious that Jemaine Clement and Taikia Waititi's hands are all over the other aspects of this show!

But overall, I think it has done an excellent job of adapting the same style of humor and insanity of the film, but having enough differences to make it not feel like a simple retread, but be it's own thing.  All of the characters are hilarious and the actors are perfect fits in the role.  Everyone shines and have standout moments, although if I was to single anyone out it would probably be Laszlo, since Matt Berry seems to be one of those actors who can make any line reading laugh out loud funny (I lost count how many times I cracked up over him simply yelling "BAT!" every time Laszlo turned into one.)  But a possible stealth MVP might be Colin, because the whole idea of an "energy vampire" is just hilarious to me, and Mark Proksch really nails down the "boring office co-worker" who can kill any conversation with his dull ramblings.

Since I binged most of it at once, a lot of the episodes blend in together and I can't fully remember which scene comes from which episode, but I'm definitely with those who though the entire vampire council episode was damn near perfect.  I liked the build up of first having appearances from Kristen Schaal and Dave Bautista (who, I honestly think is the best pro-wrestler turned actor now) in small roles, then them showing glimpses of the vampire trio from the original film to build up more excitement, and then top it off with the actual council scene, and all of those cameos!  Tilda  Swinton!  Evan Rachel Wood!  Danny Trejo!  Paul Freaking Reubens!  Even Wesley Snipes through Skype!  Loved it.  Loved it all!

Other standout moments off the top of my head: Nadja mentoring the young vampire played by Beanie Feldstein, Laszlo's cursed hat and how it kept messing everything up, the bender with the Baron (Doug Jones!), Nandor's failed attempt at becoming a U.S. citizen, and Colin's feud with the "emotional vampire" played by Vanessa Bayer.  I'm sure there was even more, but it would take too long to list!

Curious with the set-up for next season with Guillermo possibly turning on them, due to all of the mistreatment.  Especially since he as some Van Helsing blood in him!  And has already killed two vampire (accidentally, but it still counts!) 

Glad I finally watched, and I'm looking forward to catching up on S2!

• Love 8
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:20 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Everyone shines and have standout moments, although if I was to single anyone out it would probably be Laszlo, since Matt Berry seems to be one of those actors who can make any line reading laugh out loud funny (I lost count how many times I cracked up over him simply yelling "BAT!" every time Laszlo turned into one.)  But a possible stealth MVP might be Colin, because the whole idea of an "energy vampire" is just hilarious to me, and Mark Proksch really nails down the "boring office co-worker" who can kill any conversation with his dull ramblings.

I'm with you on Matt Berry. I first encountered him on the IT Crowd - he is so committed to his characters I just adore him and LOVE his acting!!!!  The way he relishes certain syllables when he speaks - I feel like he can do no wrong!

You'll love season 2, I think (Colin-centric and Lazlo-centric episodes!).

I've rewatched the movie a couple of times recently, and season 1 really does feel like the same universe. Often TV adaptations lose out the spirit of the movie, but I think they hit it out of the park episode 1. 

• Love 4
On 6/13/2019 at 9:55 AM, HotRats2112 said:

He calls him "the Jeepers Man".  I put on the closed captioning to make sure.  I love everything Matt Berry does.  Them in the church was also a stroke of genius.  

Is it season 2 yet?? 

My cc said “jeebus man”, which 🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I thought it was jeebus man. I just watched season 1. What a fantastic show.

Highlights- well the last ep was great with Madeline dying, I didn't see that coming. Also with Guillermo being related to van Helsing..

All the stuff with Jenna was hysterical.

When it started I really didn't see the thing with Jeff ending as it did, but I really enjoyed the whole subplot.

At the beginning, I wasn't into Colin Robinson but he grew on me.

The ep with the werewolves was also great.

Such a great show I can't believe it isn't more popular. All of the actors are spot on, I think Nadia is my favourite character though.

Going to rewatch a few seasons 1 eps then start 2.

• Love 1

I had heard this was a good show, but I didn't realize it was on a streaming service I had access to until I heard an interview with Harvey Guillén on Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, and found out it's currently on Hulu.

Just finished season one, and the only comment I can add here is that despite all the various quibbles about consistency (religion, citizenship, jury duty, paying for the house...), nobody bats an eye (BAT!) about all the human carnage they leave behind.  Nobody notices the bodies at the bar, nobody misses their friend,  Guillermo nonchalantly puts on his PPE to saw up the bodies so they can fit in the trash.  I guess the neighbor who brings in the cans when they forget doesn't notice a few bloodstains :)  

On 10/26/2021 at 3:30 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I had heard this was a good show, but I didn't realize it was on a streaming service I had access to until I heard an interview with Harvey Guillén on Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, and found out it's currently on Hulu.

Just finished season one, and the only comment I can add here is that despite all the various quibbles about consistency (religion, citizenship, jury duty, paying for the house...), nobody bats an eye (BAT!) about all the human carnage they leave behind.  Nobody notices the bodies at the bar, nobody misses their friend,  Guillermo nonchalantly puts on his PPE to saw up the bodies so they can fit in the trash.  I guess the neighbor who brings in the cans when they forget doesn't notice a few bloodstains :)  

Lazlo hypnotizes him. Perhaps reinforces it every time he yells "Seanie!"

• LOL 2
On 6/3/2019 at 10:58 PM, iMonrey said:

I think it's more the case that a.) she's never heard the name "Jeff" before (not exactly an old-world type name) and b.) can't believe her beloved Gregor would have such a weird, boring name. When she first saw him back in the pilot she kept saying "Jeff? Really? Jeff?"

Sorry, reading through this thread (I've been off PTV for a few years); but had to reply to this post.
Geoffrey's Chaucer and Monmouth might disagree about just how modern a name it is (14th and 11th centuries).
IIRC Henry II of England (12th century) had 2 sons called Geoffrey.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:56 AM, DrSparkles said:

My cc said “jeebus man”

"Jebus" is a fairly common atheist-ism (or at least, it is in Britain)

Edited by Which Tyler