Type keyword(s) to search

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Media

• Start Topic

For me, it wasn't Skye herself that was the issue. Mostly. The bigger problem was Coulson going on and on about how awesome she was. Now that they've cut that out, she's much more tolerable. So is Coulson for that matter.

• Love 5

For me, it wasn't Skye herself that was the issue. Mostly. The bigger problem was Coulson going on and on about how awesome she was. Now that they've cut that out, she's much more tolerable. So is Coulson for that matter.

I think as a show they had to hide the big secret, not the inhumans coming in to replace mutants but rather Hydra and the SHIELD civil war. Pushing Skye who was probably thought of as an inhuman by the show runners and not super hacker and the audience stand in to discover the spy world as the end game then makes more sense

It's official: Spider-Man is now, finally, part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Officially, they won't say when he's going to first appear.  Speculation is in the next Captain America movie.

But that's not until 2016.

Here's what I think should happen instead.  Spidey's MCU debut should be in Cap 3.  Because the big ticket thing is probably seeing whatever character redesign they do on a big screen.  But I think that Peter Parker's MCU debut should be sooner--in Agents of SHIELD.  This would be a great tool to build anticipation for all three properties involved (AoS, Cap 3 and Sony's 2017 Spidey movie (yes, they still will hold the overall Spidey reigns, but even the Spidey movie will be CO-produced with Marvel Studios--Sony is just assured ultimately marketing control).

On article I read mentioned Marvel has always maintained non-movie rights to Spiderman...including TV. Makes me wonder why they didn't try to incorporate him into AoS.

The entire concept is what is on TV can show up on the screen and vice versa. With the deal with Sony now it can be planned to mesh with a movie rather then just a scene in Agents or Daredevil

Chloe Bennett interview that makes some things sound pretty promising. No real spoilers:

http://tvline.com/2015/03/02/agents-of-shield-season-2-spring-preview-skye-inhuman-coulson-ward/

TVLINE | The showrunners told me that Trip’s death will weigh heavily on both Skye and the team at large.

Yes, [bJ Britt] was a dear friend on and off screen, so it wasn’t too hard for us to get to that point of being really upset that he’s gone. So, yeah, everyone is really mourning that loss — especially Skye. She feels a huge responsibility for his death, considering that he went in to save her and I came out with these powers. It’s going to be weighing on her for the better part of the rest of the season, if not forever.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm interested in the bolded part. Simmons seemed to have something almost starting with Tripp so she might be the angry one. 

Mark: I'm so happy S.H.I.E.L.D. is finally back tonight! Got any scoop?

Do we ever! We were actually on set of Marvel's ABC show to get as much Inhumans scoop as possible (read it here!), and when Skye's new abilities start to show, the two team members who have the most surprising reactions are Fitz and Simmons. One will help Skye in the sweetest way, while the other will react in such a negative way that it's the most heartbreaking thing we've ever seen. Guess which is which in the comments below!

http://www.eonline.com/news/631198/spoiler-chat-scoop-on-empire-the-good-wife-the-affair-and-more

Edited by Sakura12

One of the most shocking TV moments of the year ?  Really 'Entertainment Weekly' -- you must not get out much..

Seriously, American Horror Story goes out to commercial with a more shocking revelation several times each episode.

AoS continues to set new ratings lows

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/01/tv-ratings-tuesday-weird-loners-the-dovekeepers-start-soft-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-new-girl-hit-lows-the-flash-izombie-flat/382572

I know that this show will be renewed regardless -- but it has been on a steady downward trend ever since it's return at the start of March.  It's barely doing better in the ratings than The Flash (if AoS was on the CW, it would be doing worse ratings than the Flash).

• Love 1

AoS continues to set new ratings lows

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/01/tv-ratings-tuesday-weird-loners-the-dovekeepers-start-soft-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-new-girl-hit-lows-the-flash-izombie-flat/382572

I know that this show will be renewed regardless -- but it has been on a steady downward trend ever since it's return at the start of March.  It's barely doing better in the ratings than The Flash (if AoS was on the CW, it would be doing worse ratings than the Flash).

You have to put this in context, though. It was tied for the highest rating in its time slot and 3rd for the evening. Everything is reaching lows, even NCIS (2.1 is low for that). Warm weather and DST means fewer people are watching live TV.

• Love 2

The annual "Save Our Shows" voting at USA Today just started, and you might want to vote for two reasons.  First, SHIELD's companion show Agent Carter is on it - please vote for them!  Second, Agents of SHIELD is considered safe but is listed among five shows under "If you could kill one show that’s likely to return next season, which would you kill?" - you might want to go vote for some other show :)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/04/05/save-our-shows-usa-today-poll/25247789/

File this into the "Completely unexpected" pile: apparently, there are plans for a spin-off!

We’re told a spinoff is being developed by SHIELD executive producer Jeffrey Bell (Angel, The X-Files) and SHIELD writer Paul Zbyszewski (Lost, Hawaii Five-0).

Not sure what it's going to be about... the only character I can imagining getting their own show is Bobbi/Mockingbird.

Not sure what it's going to be about... the only character I can imagining getting their own show is Bobbi/Mockingbird.

You just know it's going to involve Skye somehow -- 'Agents of SHIELD: Cyber', or maybe 'Shake and Bake' (Skye and the Human Torch team up for adventures in Outer Space) </snark>

• Love 1

I definitely don't think it could be connected to Skye (because she's basically already the female lead and her storyline is one of the main arcs of the show) or really anybody in the core cast because they aren't interesting enough. Bobbi seems like a character with the most potential, out of all later additions.

Does this potential spin-off mean season three is looking more likely? Because that's the only reason I care about this news. Unless they do make a Mockingbird spin-off then I want that paired with Agent Carter immediately. Even if we don't get a spin-off I'll be happy enough with renewals for AoS and Agent Carter!

I bet it's Mike Peterson. They made such a huge deal out of promoting his character last season, then nothing until this surprise return 2 days ago, and now this announcement ... seems suspicious. They could have timed his return to make as big a splash as possible and get people talking about the character again. Plus he's one character that they could spin off and make it seem totally believable that he's out there on his own. I would say my second guess would be Bobbi, who would leave with Mack to work independently of SHIELD and Olmos SHIELD.

Maybe it'll be an Inhumans spinoff. Then Skye can go over there and all of the people who complain about having to look at her "carp-mouth" every episode can just not watch it.

Honestly, though, I'd enjoy a Mockingbird spinoff. I don't find Mike Peterson interesting enough for his own show. And I agree that I'd rather have another season of Agent Carter than any AoS spinoff.

(manbearpig, the EW article says that a third season of AoS is "pretty much guaranteed," although it's not yet officially renewed).

• Love 2
I bet it's Mike Peterson. They made such a huge deal out of promoting his character last season, then nothing until this surprise return 2 days ago, and now this announcement ... seems suspicious.

Deathlok pulls a Caine from 'Kung Fu' -- wanders from town to town helping people in order to atone for his past misdeeds while under the influence of Hydra, does the occasional mission for SHIELD, pops home once in a while to visit with Ace.

• Love 1

I bet it's Mike Peterson. They made such a huge deal out of promoting his character last season, then nothing until this surprise return 2 days ago, and now this announcement ... seems suspicious. They could have timed his return to make as big a splash as possible and get people talking about the character again. Plus he's one character that they could spin off and make it seem totally believable that he's out there on his own. I would say my second guess would be Bobbi, who would leave with Mack to work independently of SHIELD and Olmos SHIELD.

Mike and probably Ward go off and do Thunderbolts .

Bakshi  and Agent 33 are a couple of candidates for the team as well

(edited)

Maybe it'll be an Inhumans spinoff. Then Skye can go over there and all of the people who complain about having to look at her "carp-mouth" every episode can just not watch it.

Honestly, though, I'd enjoy a Mockingbird spinoff. I don't find Mike Peterson interesting enough for his own show. And I agree that I'd rather have another season of Agent Carter than any AoS spinoff.

(manbearpig, the EW article says that a third season of AoS is "pretty much guaranteed," although it's not yet officially renewed).

This seems most likely to me, if they're trying to lay groundwork for the movies to eventually tie back to the Inhumans.

Deathlok and Mockingbird don't really provide any forward momentum to the franchise.  They're niches that go nowhere (other than to satisfy small portions of the fandom who like those characters).  Agent Carter at least, in theory, played off the very successful Captain America movies.  Deathlok and Mockingbird wouldn't have that.  Neither would the Inhumans, admittedly, but they instead fulfill the same brief as AoS itself does--filling in the synergistic holes between things that are going to be important to future movies.

Mike and probably Ward go off and do Thunderbolts .

Bakshi  and Agent 33 are a couple of candidates for the team as well

A Thunderbolts idea is actually one of the few ways I think they could play those characters long-term to feed into the general Marvel universe that wouldn't seem like a simple (useless, unecessary) rip off AoS.  That said, Thunderbolts is traditionally stocked with Superpowered characters, and Ward's only Superpower is being delusional and manipulative, so that's a "maybe" at best.

Deathlok pulls a Caine from 'Kung Fu' -- wanders from town to town helping people in order to atone for his past misdeeds while under the influence of Hydra, does the occasional mission for SHIELD, pops home once in a while to visit with Ace.

Well, the other similar example is Marvel's own Hulk... except Banner in that is more running from attention than making amends, per se.

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

Agent 33 makes sense as well, it's easy to recast her, too. I wouldn't mind Ward - his narrative has been driven into the corner on AoS - I like the character a lot, but it's hard to necessitate his presence within the team anymore without derailing them or making it way too contrived. 

Personally, don't want to see Petersen - he doesn't work for me at all, and he had plenty of time to engage me.

I don't agree that Mockingbird wouldn't provide any development. it's very easy, at this point, to connect her to basically anything by writing it into her pre-Hydra takeover backstory. The only things we know about her is her marriage to Hunter and the fact that she worked for SHIELD. It's not much. The actress seems OK and audience reaction has been more positive than, say, for Dethlok or, really, many of the original cast.

Edited by FurryFury

I don't agree that Mockingbird wouldn't provide any development. it's very easy, at this point, to connect her to basically anything by writing it into her pre-Hydra takeover backstory. The only things we know about her is her marriage to Hunter and the fact that she worked for SHIELD. It's not much. The actress seems OK and audience reaction has been more positive than, say, for Dethlok or, really, many of the original cast.

It's not that Mockingbird doesn't provide any development, it's that I think the only reason to invest in a TV show that likely won't get good ratings is to provide better synergy to the MOVIES.  And while comic book Mockingbird is closely connected to The Avengers, it's probably harder to make that connection here (especially since the TV characters so far don't really migrate to the movies--just the other way around).  Movie Black Widow has taken on a lot of comic-book Mockingbird's place (kind of folded into her own fairly extensive background tied into the Avengers I mean--clearly the two characters are somewhat duplicative, PLUS there's also Sharon Carter tossed in there as well.

Is this movie going to have the biggest cast ever or what? It seems like they're introducing a new character every other week. I can't imagine where they are going to fit all these characters. Or maybe they're just going to stand in the background and the fans will google their profiles later.

• Love 1

Is this movie going to have the biggest cast ever or what? It seems like they're introducing a new character every other week. I can't imagine where they are going to fit all these characters. Or maybe they're just going to stand in the background and the fans will google their profiles later.

Works for the X-Men movies. The last one had the past X-Men, the DOFP X-Men who kept getting killed, the original trilogy X-Men ... plus the other movies where they're always standing around the school.