Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 5/7/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

It was out of character, but I don't like Meghan's usual character, so I liked it.

She would loathe hearing this, but she was the epitome of "When they go low, we go high." Thank you on Meghan's behalf, Michelle Obama. It had echoes of her father saying that Obama was a decent family man when someone attacked him at a campaign rally.

Everyone on both sides of the aisle -- hell, anyone with any human decency -- is responding harshly to Kelly Sadler's insensitive statement. Meghan has the advantage of most people being on her side already (a rare thing for Meghan). She doesn't have to rage about this, she already has the room. She can afford to be magnanimous in her official and much-watched response.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I'm glad Sunny brought up that people calling the cops on black people isn't anything new. I know Whoopi likes to think she's an expert on racism, but sometimes I just side eye her, because it's always been bad. Sunny was 100% right that the only difference is that people have cameras and now everyone else is seeing what we've always known to be true.

I was annoyed yet again with the way Whoopi shuts down Sunny, but I think they are both right.  It's always been there, now it's being captured on video and people are being held accountable.  But I agree with Whoopi that Trump unearthed racism that was perhaps hidden, and has made it acceptable to be overtly racist.  It's affecting everyone, not just Americans.  So he has created an environment where people feel it is fine to be racist and not be apologetic.  WTF, calling the cops on someone who fell asleep in her dorm common room?  Unbelievable.  I hope that white chick gets ostracized. The only good thing is that the cops behaved like reasonable people.  In the recent Waffle House incidents as well as others, they are fully aware they are being video'ed and don't even care, they physically assault people who just are standing around unhappy with the service they were getting.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, bannana said:

I was annoyed yet again with the way Whoopi shuts down Sunny, but I think they are both right.  It's always been there, now it's being captured on video and people are being held accountable.  But I agree with Whoopi that Trump unearthed racism that was perhaps hidden, and has made it acceptable to be overtly racist.  It's affecting everyone, not just Americans.  So he has created an environment where people feel it is fine to be racist and not be apologetic.  WTF, calling the cops on someone who fell asleep in her dorm common room?  Unbelievable.  I hope that white chick gets ostracized. The only good thing is that the cops behaved like reasonable people.  In the recent Waffle House incidents as well as others, they are fully aware they are being video'ed and don't even care, they physically assault people who just are standing around unhappy with the service they were getting.

Did they speak about the Black boy that took his sister to the prom who was manhandled, choked and bodyslammed, by a cop, on the ground, outside of a Waffle house.   I think that both were right, as well.  Whoopie has to always dominate the conversation, when it comes to race.  She is intimidated by Sunny's pedigree and intelligence. 

• Love 8

My sister went to Yale 40 years ago and her friend was stopped by local police for running late to class while black, which made him even later. Nothing has changed except now it is all recorded.

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, deirdra said:

My sister went to Yale 40 years ago and her friend was stopped by local police for running late to class while black, which made him even later. Nothing has changed except now it is all recorded.

Exactly, that is what Sunny was trying to say, but, Whoopie the omniscient, had to cut her off...

• Love 17
(edited)

It drives me crazy how Whoopi feels she has to constantly jump all over the things Sunny says and tell her, incoherently usually, how it "really" is. I highly doubt these incidences coincidentally popped up at the same time people started recording them; they've always been happening. I also feel that the noxious atmosphere created by those in the White House is encouraging stuff like this too. Both points are right in my opinion. It's just as we have all seen time and again, Whoopi is very threatened by Sunny.

Does anyone else get a bit skeeved out whenever Sara mentions her husband, Max? It seems like every time he's talking to her it's him telling her to modify her behaviour. I dunno, out of context or once off it may not seem much but when you think of all the statements she has made on things he has said to her I get a picture of a pretty unpleasant fellow.

Edited by MelP
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

Meghan has the advantage of most people being on her side already (a rare thing for Meghan).

Just what is it about her that people range up on her side?! If one was totally ignorant, one would think that she is McCain's only child; that he has no wife or other children, or grandchildren, who would be hurt by what Sadler said. And I refuse to believe it's because she's on this show or in front of a camera, that makes her sooo speshial.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Did they speak about the Black boy that took his sister to the prom who was manhandled, choked and bodyslammed, by a cop, on the ground, outside of a Waffle house.   I think that both were right, as well.  Whoopie has to always dominate the conversation, when it comes to race.  She is intimidated by Sunny's pedigree and intelligence. 

I don't think Whoopi is intimidated at all.  She is proud of her accomplishments, as she should be, and secure.  She is smart and knows a college degree does not necessarily mean you know more.  I agree.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I still feel like the problem was always there, it's just that people are stepping up and recording everything now. Black people would say that the police stop them for no reason and no one really believed them until recently. In a way, it's great and more people are willing to condemn these actions, which is even better. But this has always been a problem. Michael Moore even did a piece about a black man with a wallet getting shot because cops thought it was a gun.

This problem isn't anything new, which is the unfortunate truth of the matter. Whoopi may have a point though, but I didn't really appreciate her 'all-knowing' tone about this issue.

Edit: I should also add that there are countless of rap songs about this issue too dating back to before I was born.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I still feel like the problem was always there, it's just that people are stepping up and recording everything now. Black people would say that the police stop them for no reason and no one really believed them until recently. In a way, it's great and more people are willing to condemn these actions, which is even better. But this has always been a problem. Michael Moore even did a piece about a black man with a wallet getting shot because cops thought it was a gun.

This problem isn't anything new, which is the unfortunate truth of the matter. Whoopi may have a point though, but I didn't really appreciate her 'all-knowing' tone about this issue.

I remember that documentary, there was a Black man who was killed because his snickers bar was believed to have been a gun. Another was killed over his house keys. This was before everybody had cell phones with cameras. 

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I resent Whoopi's inferred opinion that hers is the only "POC" experience that matters. Sunny brings different experiences and opinions to the table, and Whoopi hates that when it comes to racial issues. It's not like Sunny was Whitley from A Different World - she was also raised in the projects, but other than that, she comes from a different kind of background than Whoopi. They can each have their own perspectives on living while black, and just because they're different doesn't mean that either is invalid.

In the early 1980s, I lived in the one crappy little apartment complex on a very wealthy part of Wilshire Boulevard in West LA, between UCLA and Beverly Hills. One of my roommates was an African-American male who taught at a Montessori School.* I don't think a week went by that he wasn't stopped by the police who questioned his presence on that block. He always made sure to have current ID with his address on it. The weird thing was that we all just accepted it, even him. I would be going ballistic now...

* Fun fact: Among his pupils were Angelina Jolie and Roosevelt Grier Jr.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 22
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

Whoopi always contradicts Sunny no matter what she says. 

Now they are talking about Meghan's response on the NBC nightly news. 

Are they saying that no one ever said or implied the way you die is more important than how you lived?  Is no one mentioning that what she said made no sense?  Oy

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

They didn't.  I wish they would show each and every one of these, because I don't think the average viewer out there has a clue.

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, Wings said:

Are they saying that no one ever said or implied the way you die is more important than how you lived?  Is no one mentioning that what she said made no sense?  Oy

Both shows were talking about how gracious she was in light of the deplorable comments. 

Speaking of deplorable, I just saw the video of the grandma pulled from her car by police, the story Whoopi brought up. I didn't know it was in Alpharetta, a very wealthy community.  I'm thinking the police thought she was in the wrong place. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I still feel like the problem was always there, it's just that people are stepping up and recording everything now.

Is Whoopi so well known and popular that she REALLY doesn't experience any of the insults/assaults that so many people of color claim?  Can't she just agree now and then instead of, "Now, listen.............................................

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Speaking of deplorable, I just saw the video of the grandma pulled from her car by police, the story Whoopi brought up. I didn't know it was in Alpharetta, a very wealthy community.  I'm thinking the police thought she was in the wrong place. 

CBS (Jeff Glor) covered the grandma story & gave it a lot of air time.  ABC?  Not so much!!!

I can't believe that cop was so rough with a 65 yr-old woman.  It was stomach-churning!!!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I think Meggie's response was VERY SCRIPTED & not, at all, how she would respond (if allowed).  I think her Mom & the show urged her in that direction.  Meggie is NOT that benevolent!!!

She loses her shit over minor stuff but her dad being insulted and being offensively joked about and she decides to be low key and dare I say mature in her response.  I mean for fucks sake we have seen her get in Twitter wars with people.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Is Whoopi so well known and popular that she REALLY doesn't experience any of the insults/assaults that so many people of color claim?  Can't she just agree now and then instead of, "Now, listen.............................................

Yes, I think her celebrity has shielded her from personal strife but surely she sees the world around her. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Cindyluwho said:

Is Meghan wearing her pajamas?

Who knows? I'll never understand why she dress to look more overweight.

She is very thick waisted and looks so heavy siting next to Sunny. Her clothes just annoy me!

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Who knows? I'll never understand why she dress to look more overweight.

She is very thick waisted and looks so heavy siting next to Sunny. Her clothes just annoy me!

MMM's wardrobe is a nightmare ~ wrong styles, wrong colors, and overblown patterns.  The days she looks bad far outweigh the days when she's actually pulled together.

• Love 5

I found it interesting that Meghan was so measured and calm in her response to all the vitriol that some in her “tribe” have spewed against her father—a hero and patriot by any reasonable standard.  I was waiting for her to explain to us why the Trump voter and Christian conservatives in middle America are okay with this despicable rhetoric, and why we should understand and accept their feelings.  Could have even thrown in some poll numbers about how nothing that’s been said about her father will change the “base” or their support for Trump and his administration. She seemed like a totally different person than the Meghan who normally occupies that seat.  

• Love 16

I think MM doesn't have to be her usual adversarial self. She knows that the firestorm it created needs no more said. The majority of us feel bad for her and the family. Trump and his heartless cronies can go to hell.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Tunia said:

MMM's wardrobe is a nightmare ~ wrong styles, wrong colors, and overblown patterns.

I picture her going into a story (very high-end, of course) or The View's wardrobe are and thinking, "Hmmm, bright, pretty, shiny, pretty, prints-florals-stripes, pretty.  Me pretty."

• Love 1

No RBM you will never be PRETTY, because honey you are really really UGLY inside (plus your clothes,hair and makeup suck!) Oh yes, I am the Fashion Maven of our site today! Snort. (Former Nun, I wuv you, you're so pretty!)

• Love 6

So many news and commentary sites linked to Meghan's response to Kelly Sadler's vileness. Whoever decided to have her formally address the remarks on the show was a genius. The ratings must have been through the roof.

Of course she was on best behavior. Even smoky eyes!

I agree with her feelings on this, because I have a great deal of respect for her dad's service (she's not the only one who comes from a military family). But EvilMe wants every site that linked to calm, rational Meghan to have to give equal time to the screaming meltdown that happened because Joy simply said, "Happy Birthday, Melania."

Too bad the Good Behavior Meghan doesn't show up much on The View.

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

Even smoky eyes!

Speaking of smoky...has Sarah Huckabee Sanders relinqueshed her most attractive make-up feature because of the White House Correspondents Dinner comment?  

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Former Nun said:

Speaking of smoky...has Sarah Huckabee Sanders relinqueshed her most attractive make-up feature because of the White House Correspondents Dinner comment?  

It would appear that she has (in favor of an ineptly applied cat's eye) ... LOL.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, LoveIsJoy said:

I found it interesting that Meghan was so measured and calm in her response to all the vitriol that some in her “tribe” have spewed against her father—a hero and patriot by any reasonable standard.  I was waiting for her to explain to us why the Trump voter and Christian conservatives in middle America are okay with this despicable rhetoric, and why we should understand and accept their feelings.  Could have even thrown in some poll numbers about how nothing that’s been said about her father will change the “base” or their support for Trump and his administration. She seemed like a totally different person than the Meghan who normally occupies that seat.  

So clever of you,  loveisjoy!  

MM has a definite routine, which is a waste of time cuz she never tells us the whole truth, objective stats,  or even just her opinion--which would be useless anyway,  coming from her lack of professional credentials.. Yawn. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:
7 hours ago, Former Nun said:

It would appear that she has (in favor of an ineptly applied cat's eye) ... LOL.

I CAN spell "relinquished" correctly.  Oops!

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:40 PM, MelP said:

Does anyone else get a bit skeeved out whenever Sara mentions her husband, Max? It seems like every time he's talking to her it's him telling her to modify her behaviour. I dunno, out of context or once off it may not seem much but when you think of all the statements she has made on things he has said to her I get a picture of a pretty unpleasant fellow.

I have always gotten the impression that Max can be a bit domineering, Alpha males can be like that, at times,  but, I never got the vibe that he is abusive in any way.  Sarah used to overshare information about her husband.  There were times I used to say to myself, Sarah, you should not have said that, but, it is all good.

Paula's husband, on the other hand, sounds like a piece of work, I remember that she said that she likes it when her husband puts her in her place.  I remember the board lit up, after she said that..lol

• Love 5
On 5/11/2018 at 6:33 PM, Haleth said:

Whoopi always contradicts Sunny no matter what she says. 

She contradicts Sunny, Paula and often Joy.  I really, really hate when Ms. Goldberg goes into her "all knowing zone".  No one can tell her anything.  Yes you are the moderator but stop bullying people and acting like it all comes down to what you think.  I was looking forward to a Friday free Whoopi.  2nd time in a row I was disappointed.  

• Love 9

You must have not seen the many times she has been mean to Paula.  Her worst episode included her yelling across the table to Paula saying "Look at me!", then she talked to her as if she was a child.  I'm not exaggerating.  I was so shocked and sickened by that display.  

And of course she often attacked Jedediah.  Yet she handles Meghan with kid gloves.  

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, A.J. said:

You must have not seen the many times she has been mean to Paula.  Her worst episode included her yelling across the table to Paula saying "Look at me!", then she talked to her as if she was a child.  I'm not exaggerating.  I was so shocked and sickened by that display.

I remember.  My comment was about the current "reg-lars."   Perhaps Whoopi needs to be the only Black woman on the panel; I don't know where her irritation/jealousy comes from.

Edited by Former Nun
typo...oh-oh!
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I remember.  My comment was about the current "reg-lars."   Perhaps Whoopi needs to be the only Black woman on the panel; I don't know where here irritation/jealousy comes from.

It probably has a lot to do with the constant praise she gets from peers and fans, the EGOT, etc., etc.  I remember she and Barbara would often but heads too.  

• Love 5
12 hours ago, A.J. said:

It probably has a lot to do with the constant praise she gets from peers and fans, the EGOT, etc., etc.

Yeah...that sickening sucking up should be enough for her.  She's just a bully--probably has been all her life.

• Love 4