Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E22: Vanilla Ice Cream, Gentleman Callers, and a Dinette Set

• Start Topic

(edited)

Someone give Annie Potts an Emmy! I teared up at her talk with Mary and George about John and wondering if she’d be alone in the end. She was just perfect in this whole episode. 

Richard Kind is always delightful and it was fun to see him as Ira again. I love that he and John bonded over Connie in the furniture store. I know she doesn’t want them talking, but that scene cracked me up. 

The kids were great as usual. Missy and her “the kid’s an oddball” and Georgie’s comment about the show never coming out and saying that Tony Danza was the boss were both so funny. I’m with Missy, though. Angela was clearly, totally the boss!! 

I cackled out loud at John saying that being challenged was making Connie more attractive to him. So perfect. 

Also, the introduction of Sheldon’s relationship contracts!! Yay for continuity! 

Great episode all around! :) 

Edited by SparklesBitch
More thoughts
  • Love 20
(edited)
10 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Someone give Annie Potts an Emmy! I teared up at her talk with Mary and George about John and wondering if she’d be alone in the end. She was just perfect in this whole episode. 

And it was especially poignant when she was talking about her husband dying, knowing that Mary will be a widow herself within five years. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 17
(edited)

I was already a wreck after the scene with Mary and Sheldon before his wedding and now this episode had to go and kick me right in the feels. 

Meemaw's speech about growing old alone really hit home when you consider how young of a widow Mary is going to be when George passes away. 

On a more lighthearted note, I think it's cute the way Dr. Sturgis has grown on Meemaw. I thought the showdown between him and Mr. Rosenblum was hilarious.

Georgie's obsession with Who's The Boss takes me back to childhood. Tony Danza was one of my faves.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

And George. "What are y'all looking at me for?" (or something like that). 

They never show Sheldon lined up against the other kids, and I wonder if he's getting noticeably taller. He SEEMS like he is. 

I loved John buying an armchair (with a cup holder) from Ira. 

• Love 3

Another great episode with *just enough* Sheldon.  (Although I wish there had been more Missy.  There can never be too much Missy).  And, oh man, I had forgotten how cheesy Who's the Boss  was until I saw the clip included here.  The ending was pure perfection.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

There can never be too much Missy).  And, oh man, I had forgotten how cheesy Who's the Boss  was until I saw the clip included here.  The ending was pure perfection.

Ha, and Missy saying she was pretty sure the blonde lady was the boss. LOVE her. 

Is this what John was saying he was called? ostrobogulous

I was relieved that Connie started referring to him as a teddy bear instead of things that reminded me of Sheldon. That was too creepy. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Mystery said:

And George. "What are y'all looking at me for?" (or something like that). 

They never show Sheldon lined up against the other kids, and I wonder if he's getting noticeably taller. He SEEMS like he is. 

I loved John buying an armchair (with a cup holder) from Ira. 

It's funny because I was talking about the show with my mother today and one of the things she mentioned was Sheldon's obvious growth spurt in the last two episodes. He's definitely starting to take on a more mature look than Missy.

• Love 2

I really hope this thing with Dr Sturgis continues into the next season. I was skeptical of Connie's commitment, but she really has become smitten with him.

I think I saw Ian's roots peeking out lol

• Love 1

Loved the reveal that not only will FutureSheldon have children but that he has relationship contracts with them.  I know BBT is probably only going to be on for another season, and that's fine, but this episode makes me want to see Sheldon trying to go over contract terms with a toddler.  Or trying to get the toddler to only potty at specifically agreed-upon times.  Or, since YS is about an average family with a genius child, a reversal where Sheldon ends up with a child (children) of average intelligence and not a little geniuses.  Sheldon raising a mini Georgie would be wonderful. 

• Love 20
6 hours ago, Anakerie said:

Loved the reveal that not only will FutureSheldon have children but that he has relationship contracts with them.  I know BBT is probably only going to be on for another season, and that's fine, but this episode makes me want to see Sheldon trying to go over contract terms with a toddler.  Or trying to get the toddler to only potty at specifically agreed-upon times.  Or, since YS is about an average family with a genius child, a reversal where Sheldon ends up with a child (children) of average intelligence and not a little geniuses.  Sheldon raising a mini Georgie would be wonderful. 

YES!  I would love to see this..

• Love 3

Again, this show is so perfectly cast, it is hard to pick a favorite.  I read an article about how MeMaw was absent from Sheldon's wedding (I hope it is ok to reference this here) and it basically was because of Young Sheldon followed directly after and they thought the two actresses being seen so close together might be a bit jarring to the viewers. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Georgie has been my favorite character on this show.  Also really like the actor who portrays the father, George.   

Edited by K-9
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, AnnieHeights said:

Again, this show is so perfectly cast, it is hard to pick a favorite.  I read an article about how MeMaw was absent from Sheldon's wedding (I hope it is ok to reference this here) and it basically was because of Young Sheldon followed directly after and they thought the two actresses being seen so close together might be a bit jarring to the viewers. 

I think that if we see Meemaw on BBT again, She needs to be recast with Annie Potts in old age makeup. June Squibb was perfectly nice before we met Annie, but Annie is better.

• Love 17

I thought for sure the first Relationship Agreement was going to be with one of siblings, but I'm thrilled we got to see how it started. Overall, I enjoyed this episode. I wonder if Georgie watches Who's the Boss and thinks Tony has a pretty sweet deal because he doesn't have to work at what Georgie would consider a "real job."  

10 hours ago, Anakerie said:

Loved the reveal that not only will FutureSheldon have children but that he has relationship contracts with them.  I know BBT is probably only going to be on for another season, and that's fine, but this episode makes me want to see Sheldon trying to go over contract terms with a toddler.  Or trying to get the toddler to only potty at specifically agreed-upon times.  Or, since YS is about an average family with a genius child, a reversal where Sheldon ends up with a child (children) of average intelligence and not a little geniuses.  

I love the idea. I can picture this conversation about thier first.

Amy: Maybe it's like Neville in Harry Potter. He won't show magic/signs of genius until he's older.

Sheldon: You've been saying that for years. 

Since they do have children there is the potential for one of them to be a genius. 

1 hour ago, Mystery said:

I'd like to see Sheldon and Amy raising a kid who's into team sports.

I figure they'll have twins. A girl who's like Sheldon and a boy who takes after Uncle Georgie.

• Love 5

Fraternal twins run on the mother's side (I'm one myself, and have siblings who are fraternal twins) but I can see the show running with twins because of Sheldon and Missy. And twins are fun!

• Love 2

I loved this entire episode, every scene was a gem.  One thing that I noticed and liked a lot was when the family was watching TV together that Missy was cuddled up with her mother - I loved that they are making a little more effort to show the parents interacting with the other children.  If anything this episode reinforced that Mary and George probably spend more time with Georgie and Missy than they do with Sheldon!

• Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

If anything this episode reinforced that Mary and George probably spend more time with Georgie and Missy than they do with Sheldon!

Lol.   That's probably true.  Unless Sheldon has a problem or wants something most of his interests are pretty solitary ones and he's more than happy to be on his own.  His trains, his computer, comics, books, "sciency" stuff there's not much that he does with anyone else in the family.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:08 PM, BitterApple said:

Meemaw's speech about growing old alone really hit home when you consider how young of a widow Mary is going to be when George passes away. 

Oh absolutely!  Made even more poignant because we had just seen Mary and Sheldon talk about George in BBT.  Very touching but they didn't cross the line into overly sentimental.

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 10
On 5/10/2018 at 9:06 PM, Frost said:

I just watched Sheldon and Amy get married on TBBT and hearing Sheldon's voiceover refer to his 'wife' teared me up.   It's amazing how much this show is reinforcing my love for TBBT.  They really do support each other well.

Plus, the introduction of the relationship agreement!  

Watching Young Sheldon has enhanced my viewing of Big Bang, definitely. What they've accomplished here with these two very different, yet both thoroughly entertaining shows is really something special.

I love that Meemaw was the first person to sign the very first relationship agreement!

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Watching Young Sheldon has enhanced my viewing of Big Bang, definitely. What they've accomplished here with these two very different, yet both thoroughly entertaining shows is really something special.

Replying in the YS/TBBT thread...

• Love 1

Shamy babies what?!?  Chuck Lorre you sly dog.

I love Annie Potts, I do, but these last few eps are quite Meemaw heavy and I'm finding it a little too much.  I actually love it when the three kids interact the most, like when Georgie stole the car.

I like how Sheldon said that his nine year old brain conjured up the memory that his mother flew, when that might not have been the case.  It explains so much.

• Love 10
On 5/13/2018 at 9:55 PM, mojoween said:

I love Annie Potts, I do, but these last few eps are quite Meemaw heavy and I'm finding it a little too much.  I actually love it when the three kids interact the most, like when Georgie stole the car.

I agree.  I want Meemaw to be a part of the show, but the three kids are hilarious together and they need more screen time.

• Love 7

Can I just say, I loved Meemaw making it clear that Sheldon's interference in her "Gentlemen Callers" was not welcome - and it led to the first Contractual Agreement! Now I'm wondering how Sheldon intends to enforce contracts with his children (he did say children and not just child, right?) - though I can totally see him going, "Now Albert, the Child Agreement clearly specifies you will go to sleep by 8pm. Why are you still awake!?"

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 5:08 AM, BitterApple said:

I really like that Meemaw has an active social life at her... relatively advanced years, and as a young(ish) widow, it makes sense that she doesn't want to spend her remaining years alone. And yes, the fact that Mary will herself become a widow in the near future made it all the more poignant.

• Love 2