Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: And the Nurses Get Screwed

Bort
  • Start Topic

When Nic finds herself under investigation in Lily's death, Conrad comes to her defense, but ends up making the situation worse. During a routine surgery, Bell's patient accidentally catches fire, leaving the hospital to start an immediate investigation into his medical records. However, hospital CEO Claire Thorpe doesn't realize what she's up against when Bell plans a counter attack. Meanwhile, Devon deals with a series of ER patients, including a hypochondriac whom he fears could end up under Lane's care.

Wowza, those burns were gnarly. Wonder how often that happens & what is normally done to put out the flames. It seemed to take a long time to get the fire out.

will the ED woman really have cancer? Da dum dum dum.

• Love 2

Nic is so screwed!  Although we know that she will be redeemed at some point, it's insane that Lane would actually kill someone to keep her chemo-ponzi scheme going! I want to see that bitch fry!

• Like 1
  • Love 18

Damn, Chastain is a terrifying place now with Bell running it and Lane by his side. I'm scared for all the patients, heh. I'm especially worried for that hypochondriac who thinks she has cancer and now will be seeing Lane. This doesn't bode well. 

I hope Nik comes back before the season is over.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

The hypochondriac will be their win!  Dr. Duh just handed the team what they needed.  Totally, thoroughly documented as  not having cancer. 

Mina was epic.  I too hope this resolves asap, although Lane playing Bell playing Claire was pretty epic.  The good guys have a huge hill to climb.

• Love 12

I can't believe that there wouldn't be security camera footage of Lane coming back.

if everything hits the fan, I'm assuming they're all gonna go work for Conrad's father.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Zoe said:

I can't believe that there wouldn't be security camera footage of Lane coming back.

In the previouslies tonight, they showed Claire telling Bell that she was putting "recording devices in all the cameras in the operating rooms. "  That leads me to believe they don't keep video records on all the cameras - those would just be live feeds.  So, it's possible, but I can see how there might not be footage of her going in and out.

Is that drip machine electronic?  Would it record when it was turned on, what setting, when the setting changes, etc.? 

I'm not sure how Nic gets out of this.  And now Lane is onto Conrad. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Lane and Bell need to be gone NOW. Licenses taken away, publically shamed, bankrupt. I hate how they keep winning and smirking about it afterwards, like they are some power couple. Having Bell be the CEO after he has killed patients is appalling. Poor Nic.

Devon being a superstar in the ED was great to see. I was wondering when he would be on other rotations other than inpatient. Maybe he has an Onc rotation coming up so he can find some evidence on Lane.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

NOOOO! = Me when Feldman referred the hypochondriac to Lane. Be careful what you wish for, but still, harsh for her.

The attending became a Mina fangirl, I relate to her now LOL. "She has the right to be arrogant because she's brilliant", yep. I love how S.R. Wilson's face lights whenever Mina speaks of Surgery.

I was pleasantly surprised by the writing for this episode.

First, the tone. I feared in the beginning it would be heavy and humorless, but Dev's adventures in the ER, and Mina's zingers, balanced everything. I enjoyed how capable Dev is and how Conrad compliments him, now, when he deserves it.

Second, Lane's manipulations. I enjoy the hell out of that storyline because it's well-written imo. It's sustainable. I just watched a show where there's a supposed genius manipulator but their actions are mostly stupid because they're evil for the sake of it. Lane is written smart, so smart, it ups the stakes. And Team Nic is always a step behind because good people can't fathom such evil, less coming from someone who took an oath to heal, but once they have the necessary elements they do draw the right conclusions so I don't feel throwing things at my TV and it makes me root for them more. Not everyone is blind, even some people on the "jury" were on Nic's side. And there was Mina and her realism and how she pushes Bell's buttons. She's the best foil for him. I loved Mina and Claire's scene, since it showed what was going to be Claire's downfall. She was warned, she just ignored the risks because was too arrogant.

I like the nurse, Alex (?) who talked to Conrad. She wasn't fooled either.

Lane took the mask off with Conrad, and that was a damn good monologue. She looks so nice, and she's so ruthless.

If they were on the good side I'd be shipping Team Shady. Well I do ship them actually, minus the "root for" component. They're perfect for each other, and I'm actually curious about the nature of their relationship. Does Lane manipulate Bell and he doesn't see who she is, or does he and he manipulates her, too? Or does he not know what she's capable of, but will be even more turned on once he does? They're the Supercouple from Hell.

Conrad and Nic are cute. I've always liked how their work as a team, and the friendly side of their relationship that was developed before they got back together. It makes their relationship now more believable.

• Love 18
9 hours ago, rhys said:

will the ED woman really have cancer? Da dum dum dum

Nope - she will be another victim of Dr. Lane. And that ER doc has no idea to what he has sentenced her. But the main intern - the Indian guy - can't think of his name - he knows about Lane's bad practices. maybe he'll get involved to prove Lane really is doing bad things to her patients. That could be how they bring her down and save Nic.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Does Lane manipulate Bell and he doesn't see who she is, or does he and he manipulates her, too? Or does he not know what she's capable of, but will be even more turned on once he does? They're the Supercouple from Hell.

I think they're definitely manipulating each other, but Lane almost certainly has the upper hand over Bell. She's a complete psychopath, devoid of really feeling anything but being able to mimic real emotions. She really is a fascinating villain and I absolutely love that, in a rare occurance, there's a well written female villain, compared to yet more male villains. Lane is devious and evil and awful, but in the most fascinating way as a viewer.

I totally see where this is going with the hypochondriac, but all I can hope for is that she is Lane's downfall. We know the hypochondriac won't end up having cancer, just telegraphed with the ominous feel of her scene with Feldman, but I can only hope this does take Lane down. 

So, Claire gets fired due to Bell and Lane teaming up against her. I figured, since Merrin Dungey is a very busy actress (I feel like I see her everywhere nowadays), that she wouldn't be sticking around for too long. I'm not even sure if they'll bring her back or not, but if it's to help take down Bell and Lane, then that would be great.

Nic's going to go down a dark road trying to prove that Lane is guilty, isn't she? That's very worrisome, but I can't even blame her. Hopefully she can find a piece of evidence to take down Lane, but it is going to be difficult.

So, I now like Nic and Conrad together. It took a little bit of time, but they work. I like Conrad's complete support, and him going to confront Lane was terrifying, especially when she tore him down in that scene. She had the power and Conrad stood no chance.

Devon's great and I liked seeing him kick ass in the ER. Mina's great and I'm glad she managed to at least be honest with Claire, even if it didn't work. But I have a feeling Bell will know about her deception and take her down too. 

• Love 14
10 hours ago, izabella said:

In the previouslies tonight, they showed Claire telling Bell that she was putting "recording devices in all the cameras in the operating rooms. "  That leads me to believe they don't keep video records on all the cameras - those would just be live feeds.  So, it's possible, but I can see how there might not be footage of her going in and out.

Is that drip machine electronic?  Would it record when it was turned on, what setting, when the setting changes, etc.? 

It's called an IV Infusion pump.

It looks like a pretty sophisticated device that would have some sort of audit trail for "after the fact" analysis.

Click on the image to watch the video.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I figured, since Merrin Dungey is a very busy actress (I feel like I see her everywhere nowadays), that she wouldn't be sticking around for too long. I'm not even sure if they'll bring her back or not, but if it's to help take down Bell and Lane, then that would be great.

She was cast in a pilot for ABC, "The Fix". Same as Warren Christie (Jude) who's in "The Village" for NBC, and this one seems quite buzzy, so his exit wasn't a big surprise to me either. I'm expecting to see Claire again in case The Fix isn't picked-up except if the plan was always to have Bell as the CEO -it makes sense with his tremors.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think they're definitely manipulating each other, but Lane almost certainly has the upper hand over Bell. She's a complete psychopath, devoid of really feeling anything but being able to mimic real emotions. She really is a fascinating villain and I absolutely love that, in a rare occurance, there's a well written female villain, compared to yet more male villains. Lane is devious and evil and awful, but in the most fascinating way as a viewer.

This^  Bell is a victim of his own ego and no match for her.  As we've seen he's capable of evil but always because he can't get over losing his reputation as the best. She will bring him down with her and he will be clueless

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

This^  Bell is a victim of his own ego and no match for her.  As we've seen he's capable of evil but always because he can't get over losing his reputation as the best. She will bring him down with her and he will be clueless

That's my main theory right now. Yet in this episode, I was thinking that he got exactly what he wanted (Claire got the boot, he has even more power and professional stability...plus a hot friend with benefits) and I got "Mm, isn't that just perfectly convenient?".

• Love 3
5 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I hope his CEO duties will mean Bell is too busy to do any more Death and Destruction surgery.

It would be a refreshing change, too. I don't remember a tremor storyline that didn't end with the surgeon back in the OR full-time.

20 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

She was cast in a pilot for ABC, "The Fix". Same as Warren Christie (Jude) who's in "The Village" for NBC, and this one seems quite buzzy, so his exit wasn't a big surprise to me either. I'm expecting to see Claire again in case The Fix isn't picked-up except if the plan was always to have Bell as the CEO -it makes sense with his tremors.

Funny, I signed up to mod both of those.  See you there!

I really like this show more than I initially thought I would.  My daughter is also hooked.  

Nic obviously has to be vindicated somehow.  I, too, like what they're bringing to the table with Lane as the villain, but I still can't wait to see her taken down.  I feel a bit bad for the hypochondriac, but am happy that she will most likely be the catalyst to end all this. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Funny, I signed up to mod both of those.  See you there!

I really like this show more than I initially thought I would.  My daughter is also hooked.  

Nic obviously has to be vindicated somehow.  I, too, like what they're bringing to the table with Lane as the villain, but I still can't wait to see her taken down.  I feel a bit bad for the hypochondriac, but am happy that she will most likely be the catalyst to end all this. 

The show has three more episodes for this season. I just hope they don't end this storyline with a cliffhanger that carries over to next season. My money is on Devon to expose Lane as the villain. (I hate cliffhangers)

Edited by preeya
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, preeya said:

The show has three more episodes for this season. I just hope they don't end this storyline with a cliffhanger that carries over to next season. My money is on Devon to expose Lane as the villain. (I hate cliffhangers)

They will leave it with a cliffhanger. Why wouldn't they? They know they have a lot of us hooked, but they want to reel in that casual viewer who watches if their spouse is watching or when they don't have anything else to watch, etc. Cliffhangers can draw them in to be hooked like us.

On 2018-04-24 at 9:34 AM, preeya said:

It's called an IV Infusion pump.

It looks like a pretty sophisticated device that would have some sort of audit trail for "after the fact" analysis.

Click on the image to watch the video.

Yeah I'm actually surprised this didn't come up already. You would think equipment failure would be something they would want to investigate if you have two impeccable employees pointing fingers.

• Love 1
On 4/24/2018 at 12:41 AM, izabella said:

it's possible that Lane would have needed to use her ID badge to get herself into the patient hallways, esp since it was after hours.  

I want to see Nic go full on Emily Thorne/Amanda

This! I think that's why I'm not worried about Nic winning.  And I doubt they make it a cliffhanger, they'd lose me if they do.  Cheap plot trick. Show should hold up to more, plus it hasn't been renewed.  Why I'm being cautious in liking it too much.  I read a lot of medical people were boycotting it?

Edited by Jlina
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm a week behind because I like to hoard this show.

I was worried Lane would get Nic arrested or something so I was relieved at her being fired. Lane is very scary and they've written her in way that makes me all paranoid about how evil she is. I can't wait until she and Bell inevitably turn on each other. That will be very interesting. They are so creepy as a couple but it kinda works. Not in a shippy or OTP way just in an "Whoa so evil" way.

Hubs and I really liked the neck burn guy and were worried he'd die so we cheered when he released his music video! 

Cannot wait to see what they will do with the hypochondriac lady being sent to Lane. I really like the ER doctor. Haha I sound so repetitive about this show! I just love the cast even the villains are awesome! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 4/25/2018 at 8:22 PM, Jlina said:

I read a lot of medical people were boycotting it?

Prolly hits too close to home??

A friend is a semi-retired doc. He said he tuned out of the pilot after Bell killed the first few patients.

Edited by torqy
  • Love 2
On 4/24/2018 at 9:18 AM, Lady Calypso said:

So, Claire gets fired due to Bell and Lane teaming up against her.

This part of the plot distracted me because the firing and Bell becoming CEO seemed to happen in a few minutes during the part of the board meeting we didn't see, while Nic was waiting for her appointment to see the CEO (Claire). Would a hospital really be able to fire a CEO and hire a new one that quickly and easily? Wouldn't there need to be another board meeting or negotiations on terms for either the firing (such as severance or nondisclosure of cause) or putting Bell in the new position (such as salary and benefits, or even just writing and signing a new contract)?