Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Melissa Morris LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

I understand that for hanging around the house - she was walking the streets and now she's at Dr. Now's.  Of course you don't have to wear makeup, but it's my personal opinion that some people look better with a touch of it and it only takes a second to dab on some lipstick. 

I get it - but when you have three little ones, you often don't have those couple of minutes for a little makeup. Particularly if you don't have a supportive partner. I kind of appreciate that we are seeing her as she really looks and she's not gussied up for the cameras.

• Love 6

When she said she was accompanying Dr. Now to a conference, I thought it would be an academic conference. 

Sounds like a dog and pony show, selling Dr. Now’s services to other obese people. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Miracle Maxie said:

It seems like Dr Now is making excuses for Melissa that he’d never make for anyone else. 

Eh, I think she's earned a little bit of a hall pass. She dropped 500 pounds, hasn't raced back to even 300 lbs over 11 years, had 3 kids and a divorce along the way.

I hope she loses weight, but I don't blame Dr. Now for giving her a little slack right now.

Edited by Standard Staples
  • Love 20
18 minutes ago, Threnners said:

TESTIFY MELISSA!!!!!!!!!!!   But when you unload that 150+lb asshole, your life gets so much better.

Absolutely! So proud of her. But I'd double that 150 for Chris! What a catch he is ***insert sarcasm emoji***

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Love 6
Just now, simba barracuda said:

Oy, that house is a mess

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. I know it's hard with small kids. (My twin girls will be 2 tomorrow), but it's achievable. It takes work. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Standard Staples said:

Eh, I think she's earned a little bit of a hall pass. She dropped 500 pounds, she hasn't raced back to even 300 lbs over 11 years, had 3 kids and a divorce along the way.

I hope she loses weight, but I don't blame Dr. Now for giving her a little slack right now.

Yeah she has been through it, but its obvious she has made effort and keeps her appointments etc. Dr Now isn't a tyrant, he wants her to succeed long term. 

• Love 2

How old is she now? Man, her skin looks rough and I know she's not that old. 

As far as her husband not being satisfied when she was smaller - this isn't snark, I just think this might be a factor, she has some tremendous scars from her surgeries. Even tho I suspect they've faded a bit with time, I think they tell people who have skin surgery that they are trading saggy skin for scars. It could be that the final version of what Melissa became isn't what he thought it would be and he sought out 'normal' people. 

That, and we know he was a jerk to begin with.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, emma1420 said:

She sounds pretty depressed.  I hope she gets counseling to help her work on her self-esteem.

Yeah I don't blame her though. Divorce, finally realizing that Chris is a piece of shit, having to lose weight again. I don't think she is clinically depressed or anything- its obvious she loves her kids, and wants to keep living her life, but anyone would be situationally depressed in her case. She should take some time and meet with a therapist when she can get childcare. That will give her someone to talk to as she goes through the divorce. 

• Love 5
Just now, aliya said:

As far as her husband not being satisfied when she was smaller - this isn't snark, I just think this might be a factor, she has some tremendous scars from her surgeries. Even tho I suspect they've faded a bit with time, I think they tell people who have skin surgery that they are trading saggy skin for scars. It could be that the final version of what Melissa became isn't what he thought it would be and he sought out 'normal' people. 

Nope. I think he wanted a woman that was dependent on him. And was not able to do anything or go anywhere if they found out about his extra affairs. 

• Love 12
Just now, aliya said:

I think she’s in her 40’s.  And if her husband loved her the scars wouldn’t matter.  She, unfortunately, married a man who was never ever going to be happy with any woman.  He will never be satisfied, and I suspect he will cheat on whoever he’s with no matter what they look like. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Does it seem to any of you that Dr. Now's target weight for his patients are a bit on the high side? At least it does to me. Maybe he does this since a higher weight will be easier to maintain?

Perhaps because they are coming from such high weights to begin with?  

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Standard Staples said:

I hope she loses weight, but I don't blame Dr. Now for giving her a little slack right now

Because, he realizes he she beats herself up more than he ever could.  He’s not dealing with a person in denial and he is not dealing with a sociopath and he is not dealing with a nasty human being like Schenee.   He needs to boost her confidence not diminish it. 

Edited by Kid
  • Love 16

Man, her skin looks rough and I know she's not that old. 

Chris was attracted to her enough to have sex with her and impregnate her three times. I think he's just an ass who cheats. I wouldn't be surprised if the women he cheated with were heavy. I think he likes heavier women in general and I think he particularly likes heavy women with low self-esteem.

As for the skin (and for some, hair), I think that the very lowfat diet and the fact that patients who have had bypass have a shorter intestine and absorb fewer vitamins leads to dry skin and hair. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Does it seem to any of you that Dr. Now's target weight for his patients are a bit on the high side? At least it does to me. Maybe he does this since a higher weight will be easier to maintain?

I don’t know. They showed her at 160 which is her current target weight and she looked good. 

• Love 6
Just now, DC Gal in VA said:

After someone has been extremely morbidly obese for many years maintaining a "normal BMI" isn't likely. If he can keep them in the "overweight" range for the rest of their life thats a success. Science hasn't quite figured it out, but once you get to a certain size your fat cells multiply, and even if you lose weight they don't disappear they simply empty. Thats the reason why many people who were heavy and lose weight (no where near these 600lbs life participants but "regular folk") have the impression they gain weight more quickly than their always thin counter parts AND they have to eat less to maintain a lower weight than someone who never had the weight fluctuations to begin with. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Yes.  But, I also think he probably realizes that for most of his patients a BMI under 25 isn’t achievable.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, CircusPeanuts said:

Nope. I think he wanted a woman that was dependent on him. And was not able to do anything or go anywhere if they found out about his extra affairs. 

Yeah he enjoyed being Melissa's caretaker, and knowing she wouldn't go anywhere. 

Wait, whoa, she has dentures!? Dang woman, I know you're busy but definitely take a few seconds each day to pop those bad boys in. And, really, a little lipstick only takes 30 seconds more. That and a new hairstyle can do wonders for a woman's self esteem.

• Love 1
Just now, emma1420 said:

Chris looks like he could use some weight loss surgery himself.

And a face transplant.

1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

When I looked into getting the sleeve, the doctor's goal for me was 170. I thought it would be 130 or something difficult, but no. I felt relieved. I thought I could maintain 170, which is what I weighed when I got pregnant back in the '70's. I know what I looked like at that weight - and I looked pretty good. : ) I think I wore a 12.   When I told my friend who had had the full surgery, she said she'd never been at the weight they wanted for her. Maybe that makes a difference. She is still at least 100 lbs overweight and they can't do anymore surgery on her.  So is 170 high? I don't know. Maybe it's a good number if she can maintain it. 

• Love 4

Good evening Pounders. I always miss thr live chat because Wednesday is my night out with my best friends. Today one of those friends and I went to Louisville for a day of shopping. I'm too tired to go out tonight, and my husband is having dinner with some of his friends. My eating habit is a cheese plate -- Camembert, Comte, some pork pate, grapes, and slices of baguette -- accompanied by a lovely rose from Provence.

I agree with everyone who says Melissa looks old. Tired, too. I do love that she doesn't give up. I hope she gets back on track. Dr. Now seems to really care about her and believe in her.

• Love 9